During gamescom, Blizzard announced the next expansion for Warcraft.
Blizzard has just unveiled the next expansion coming to World of Warcraft: Legion!
- Level cap raised to 110
- New dungeons and raids
- New PvP Honor System
- Class Order halls
- Wield powerful Artifacts Weapons
- New class: Demon Hunter
- The Burning Legion returns
The Burning Legion has returned, and the heroes of Azeroth are being called to the Broken Isles to continue their adventures. Attempting to drive the Legion back will take players to level 110, have them wielding powerful Artifact Weapons, progressing through a new PvP Honor system, gathering with their brothers and sisters in Class Orders, and even choosing a new character class altogether: the Demon Hunter.
Story and Setting
- Takes place on The Broken Isles (from Warcraft III)
- Used to be a Night Elf civilization but now is a wasteland
- Players will face the Legion in the Tomb of Sargeras
- Fabled artifacts: Ashbringer and Doomhammer, plus more
- Will experience the past of Demon Hunters to tie-in their story
- Players will learn what it means to be a Demon Hunter
- Need to scour the isles for the Pillars of Creation, relics of the Titans
- Zones: Val'Sharah, Stormheim, Azsuna, Highmountain, and Suramar
Demon hunters, disciples of Illidan Stormrage, uphold a dark legacy, one that frightens their allies and enemies alike. The Illidari embrace fel and chaotic magics—energies that have long threatened the world of Azeroth—believing them necessary to challenge the Burning Legion. Wielding the powers of demons they’ve slain, they develop demonic features that incite revulsion and dread in fellow elves.
Demon hunters ritually blind themselves in exchange for spectral sight that enables them to better sense their prey. This enhanced awareness, together with their great agility and magical prowess, makes demon hunters unpredictable adversaries. An Illidari’s quarry has much to fear.
Forgoing heavy armor, Demon Hunters capitalize on speed, closing the distance quickly to sever enemies with one-handed weapons. However, Illidari must also use their agility defensively to ensure that battles end favorably. They can command chaotic energies to inflict havoc on enemies, or they can focus their powers to resist damage and fuel vengeful attacks.
Artifacts and Weapons
- 36 artifacts, one for each specialization.
- Depending on class/spec, it'll heavily affect your experience.
- Begin with adventure in Legion by seeking out your own particular Artifact; different experience for each.
- Earn Artifact Power as you adventure. Spend AP to unlock traits.
- Customize your weapon both mechanically and visually.
- Different looks & colors: Purified, Flaming, Corrupted, Shattered
- Each artifact has a trait tree. Choose what you work toward when.
Examples of Artifacts:
- Sheilun, Staff of the Mists
- The Eagle Spear
- Fangs of the First Nightsaber
- Each Class bands together to face the Legion, and you are their leader.
- One of the central themes of Legion is to make classes have a much more distinct identity.
- Base of operations; a shared space for an entire class.
- Establishing the Order Hall is the second thing you do after getting your Artifact.
Champions (in the Order Hall)
- An evolution of the Draenor system.
- Fewer followers, but more meaningful; not "raising an army".
- More world integration/interaction. Enable you to do more instead of doing it themselves.
- Ex: Scouting mission could discover a lair for you to visit, or give you a bonus when you're in an area.
More dungeons, more replayability; keep doing dungeons throughout the expansion.
- Halls of Valor - Level-up dungeon in the clouds above stormheim; Valhalla inspired.
- Black Rook Hold - Ancient elven fortress in Val’Sharah; ancestral home of Lord Kur’talos Ravencrest.
- Vault of the Wardens - Return to the Demon Hunter prison; Warden maximum-security facility. Begin the hunt for Illidan.
- Eye of Azshara
- Darkheart Thicket
- Neltharion’s Lair
- Suramar City
- Violet Hold
The Emerald Nightmare
- Emerald Dream, twisted and shadowed
- 7 bosses – Pursue Cenarius, face Xavius
- 10 bosses – Face off against Gul’dan
- Home to the Nightwell, center of Suramar’s power
New Class: Demon Hunter
- Visually notable for their horn, tattoos. skin texture and eyewear.
- Unique starting experience, much like the Death Knight.
- Start at a high level so you can jump into Legion content.
- Awoken from the Vault of the Wardens; desperate for help from Demon Hunters against the Legion.
Demon Hunter - Specs
- Havoc: DPS Spec
- Vengeance: Tank Spec
Demon Hunter - Abilities
- Build up Demonic Fury with a few abilities, and expend it to cast others.
PVP Honor System
- Dial back the effect gear has in PVP.
- A new PVP talent system.
- As you gain honor, you’ll progress through honor ranks
- As you progress, earn perks and bonuses: PVP Talents
- Designed completely for PVP; balanced independently
- Unlocked completely by PVP level 50
PVP Prestige Ranks
Reset honor level for rewards & cosmetics:
- Portrait badges to show # of Prestiges
- Unique mounts
- Unique PVP Artifact variants
That concludes today's presentation! As mentioned at the end of the stream, the Legion beta is coming later this year!
For more info, check out Wowhead's detailed Legion Announcement post.