The World of Warcraft is a big place, and the only way to make it easier to understand is breaking it into pieces. While the most obvious division is the continents of Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, Outland, and eventually Northrend, those areas are still much too large. Each continent is divided into many different zones, all of which have their own specific chat channels and map.
The land of Kalimdor once included the landmass now known as the Eastern Kingdoms. Now it is home to the Night Elves, Draenei and the Cenarion Circle in the north, while the Tauren, Orcs, and Darkspear Trolls live in the central regions. The southern portion of the continent remains largely wild and uninhabited, but is home to the insect race of Silithids that threaten the continent out of Ahn'Qiraj.
The Eastern Kingdoms consist of the human Kingdom of Azeroth in the south, the formerly-human kingdom of Lordaeron in the north, and the dwarven kingdom of Khaz Modan in between.
The beautiful planet of Draenor
that was home to the Draenei
has been shattered horribly, and all that remains is this husk of a world. Added to the game during the Burning Crusade
expansion, Outland is designed for players from levels 60-70.
Northrend is home to the Lich King
and The Scourge
. Although it is not presently part of the game, it was the setting for a large part of Warcraft III
and its expansion, The Frozen Throne
. Northrend will be the focus for the second expansion to World of Warcraft, Wrath of the Lich King
Known Northrend zones include:
Northrend Instances include (sorted by level):
Beyond the three continents, Northrend and Outlands, there are other locations within the lore.
- The Emerald Dream is home to the sleeping druids of the Cenarion Circle, and looks exactly as the original Kalimdor did before The Sundering. Although there are (or at least were) no humanoid races in the Dream, it is starting to fall under dark influences and may be a potential location for a future expansion.
- The Undermine is the home of the Goblins of the Steamwheedle Cartel.
- Kul Tiras is a naval kingdom that exists on some of the islands in the center of The Great Sea. Some of their marines can be found in Durotar and The Barrens.
- The Maelstrom is the large swirling storm in the center of the Great Sea. Little is known about the Maelstrom, but it is suspected that the naga capital lies beneath it.
- There are a great many other worlds in the universe. Little is known about most of these, other than that the Burning Legion has made it their goal to conquer each of these worlds. Before finally settling on Draenor, the Eredar tribe known as the Draenei fled from planet to planet chased by the legion.
- ^ also known as The Sunken Temple
This page last modified 2009-07-22 09:49:30.