Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Meat-growing...Follow

#1 Aug 05 2013 at 6:30 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,911 posts
Success!(?) The first synthetic hamburger shall be taste-tested today.

I think it will be full of flavors, as they're easily added. I think the texture, the juiciness and the aroma will fall far short of a grilled burger.

Will lab-grown meat/food be the answer to third world malnutrition. Could this technology (finally!) be the proto-seed of the Jetson's food synthesizer?



____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#2 Aug 05 2013 at 6:38 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,254 posts
I'm ok with cloned meat, but synthetic meat is just blasphemy. Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#3 Aug 05 2013 at 6:41 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,911 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
I'm ok with cloned meat, but synthetic meat is just blasphemy. Smiley: disappointed
Same thing really. Instead of growing the whole cloned cow you just grow some meat cells.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#4 Aug 05 2013 at 6:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Elinda wrote:
Will lab-grown meat/food be the answer to third world malnutrition.

No, no one is starving from a lack of meat. They're starving from a lack of staple grains/beans which is primarily a political issue as opposed to an agricultural one.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#5 Aug 05 2013 at 6:46 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,254 posts
Elinda wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
I'm ok with cloned meat, but synthetic meat is just blasphemy. Smiley: disappointed
Same thing really. Instead of growing the whole cloned cow you just grow some meat cells.


But fear makes the meat taste better. Smiley: frown
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#6 Aug 05 2013 at 7:25 AM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
I'm ok with cloned meat, but synthetic meat is just blasphemy. Smiley: disappointed
Same thing really. Instead of growing the whole cloned cow you just grow some meat cells.
But fear makes the meat taste better. Smiley: frown
I like my cows to be conveyor belted passed ovens prior to being hammered across the forehead to lock in that fear flavoring.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#7 Aug 05 2013 at 7:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,887 posts
something like this on a spaceship would be useful!
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#8 Aug 05 2013 at 8:05 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,254 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
I'm ok with cloned meat, but synthetic meat is just blasphemy. Smiley: disappointed
Same thing really. Instead of growing the whole cloned cow you just grow some meat cells.
But fear makes the meat taste better. Smiley: frown
I like my cows to be conveyor belted passed ovens prior to being hammered across the forehead to lock in that fear flavoring.


If you are using gas ovens you can flash sear some terror inside the crispy crust before continuing with the slow roasted panic.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#9 Aug 05 2013 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Kind of pointless to do this with cowmeat, you're going to want cows for the milk anyway and bulls don't produce milk so you already get the meat anyway until they make milk in a lab too.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#10 Aug 05 2013 at 8:13 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,254 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Kind of pointless to do this with cowmeat, you're going to want cows for the milk anyway and bulls don't produce milk so you already get the meat anyway until they make milk in a lab too.


In-vitro cow tits, milk that's grown in the bottle.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#11 Aug 05 2013 at 8:14 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,911 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:


In-vitro cow tits, milk that's grown in the bottle.

Milk in a bag takes on a whole new meaning.













Edited, Aug 5th 2013 4:15pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#12 Aug 05 2013 at 8:15 AM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
bulls don't produce milk
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#13 Aug 05 2013 at 9:44 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,948 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Will lab-grown meat/food be the answer to third world malnutrition.

No, no one is starving from a lack of meat. They're starving from a lack of staple grains/beans which is primarily a political issue as opposed to an agricultural one.

That was my thought. Problem isn't lack of available Big Macs; problem is warlords seizing grain shipments and leaving them to rot.

But this stuff; I bet it tastes like slig.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#14 Aug 05 2013 at 9:46 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,758 posts
Smiley: eek

It's people. Synthetic hamburger is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Smiley: tinfoilhat
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#15 Aug 05 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,911 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Smiley: eek

It's people. Synthetic hamburger is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Smiley: tinfoilhat

If you can turn poor people into food for other poor people it's like earning double xp.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#16 Aug 05 2013 at 10:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,758 posts
Elinda wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Smiley: eek

It's people. Synthetic hamburger is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Smiley: tinfoilhat

If you can turn poor people into food for other poor people it's like earning double xp.

Reduce, reuse, recycle?
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#17 Aug 05 2013 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
Just don't forget to loot them before crafting.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#18 Aug 05 2013 at 10:25 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,560 posts
I bet it will taste like Tasty Wheat!

http://youtu.be/2oEnJfZ9joY

Hmm, can't get the youtube link to work for some reason
Edited, Aug 5th 2013 9:26am by stupidmonkey

Edited, Aug 5th 2013 9:28am by stupidmonkey

Edited, Aug 5th 2013 9:29am by stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#19 Aug 05 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Debalic wrote:
But this stuff; I bet it tastes like slig.
It tasted pretty bad since it had no fat whatsoever, it was purely muscle tissue.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#20 Aug 05 2013 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,254 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
I bet it will taste like Tasty Wheat!


____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#21 Aug 05 2013 at 11:06 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,560 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
I bet it will taste like Tasty Wheat!




I did that, and it didn't work for some reason. I must have messed it up.

ETA: Ah, I see what I did wrong. Need to lost part of the link that it gives you

Edited, Aug 5th 2013 10:06am by stupidmonkey

Edited, Aug 5th 2013 10:09am by stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#22 Aug 05 2013 at 11:09 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,254 posts
You used the shortened Youtube link instead of the normal one, that's why it didn't work.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#23 Aug 05 2013 at 11:15 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,911 posts
Ever wonder where banned posters go?

The official word on the first synthetic burger is........
Salon wrote:
“There is quite some flavor … quite some intense taste,” said food scientist Hanni Rützler, looking perhaps a tiny bit queasy as she tasted the lab grown meat that premiered publicly for the first time this morning in London. “It is close to meat.”

Added Josh Schonwald, author of “The Taste of Tomorrow: Dispatches from the Future of Food” and the meat’s second official taster, “the texture has a feel like meat.” He ranked it as existing somewhere between a meat-imitating Boca Burger and a McDonald’s burger.

In this picture of the burger it looks like they had to put butter down in the fry pan.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#24 Aug 05 2013 at 11:17 AM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
Elinda wrote:
Salon wrote:
He ranked it as existing somewhere between a meat-imitating Boca Burger and a McDonald’s burger.
That's not much of an endorsement.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#25 Aug 06 2013 at 8:26 AM Rating: Good
**
697 posts
I bet they'd be pretty good chased down with a tall glass of Brawndo.
____________________________
Shadechaos of Seraph Bismarck
R.I.P. Cindy 2.26.56 - 4.18.13
~She made a difference~
#26 Aug 06 2013 at 9:49 AM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
Or Draino.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#27 Aug 06 2013 at 9:50 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,254 posts
RaiseIII wrote:
I bet they'd be pretty good chased down with a tall glass of Brawndo.


It's what Synthetic Meat Craves!!!
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#28 Aug 06 2013 at 2:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,261 posts
Taste is apparently easily fixed.

If the goal is to grow food without using living breathing conscious animals, and fixing taste is a relatively (relative to growing cultured meat) easy fix, why not simply pound protein goop into slabs and fix the taste/texture of those? Less complicated, less energy, less waste. Why grow the meat at all? Just seems like an unnecessary step.
#29 Aug 06 2013 at 2:59 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,607 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
Smiley: eek

It's people. Synthetic hamburger is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Smiley: tinfoilhat


Hah. The future is now
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#30 Aug 06 2013 at 3:02 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,254 posts
gbaji wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
Smiley: eek

It's people. Synthetic hamburger is made out of people. They're making our food out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle for food. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Smiley: tinfoilhat


Hah. The future is now


Like I would trust food from Team Cannibal there, just look at their big toothy smiles. Smiley: um
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#31 Aug 06 2013 at 5:50 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,948 posts
Yodabunny wrote:
Taste is apparently easily fixed.

If the goal is to grow food without using living breathing conscious animals, and fixing taste is a relatively (relative to growing cultured meat) easy fix, why not simply pound protein goop into slabs and fix the taste/texture of those? Less complicated, less energy, less waste. Why grow the meat at all? Just seems like an unnecessary step.

We already have tofu.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#32 Aug 07 2013 at 8:05 AM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
That one test 5 ounce patty cost $325,000.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#33 Aug 07 2013 at 8:07 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,254 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
That one test 5 ounce patty cost $325,000.


What were they trying to reproduce, Japanese Beef?
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#34 Aug 07 2013 at 10:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
That one test 5 ounce patty cost $325,000.
What were they trying to reproduce, Japanese Beef endangered whale killed for "scientific purposes"?

____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#35 Aug 07 2013 at 2:04 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
That one test 5 ounce patty cost $325,000.
What were they trying to reproduce, Japanese Beef endangered whale killed for "scientific purposes"?

The exclusivity makes it taste better.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#36 Aug 07 2013 at 8:20 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
****
4,322 posts
We will find out 10 years from now how it is doing something to kill us. More than likely how it causes some sort of cancer
____________________________
Hi
#37 Aug 07 2013 at 8:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,758 posts
fronglo wrote:
We will find out 10 years from now how it is doing something to kill us. More than likely how it causes some sort of cancer
That's called planning for the future. At least they'll have something to do come grant renewal time, bet they have an inside track getting funding to research that. Smiley: wink
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#38 Aug 07 2013 at 8:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,254 posts
fronglo wrote:
We will find out 10 years from now how it is doing something to kill us. More than likely how it causes some sort of cancer


It will probably be prostate cancer, which will mysteriously be only cured by eating and expelling Taco Bell 24/7. This will put the all of the other fast food chains out of business, putting us one step closer to non-stop show tune radio stations and WiFi orgasms.

Edited, Aug 7th 2013 10:46pm by Shaowstrike
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#39 Aug 08 2013 at 8:23 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,958 posts
I had the opportunity to talk with the ownership of one of these synth meat labs a while back, and we discussed the prospect of designer meats being the inroad into the marketplace. They cann't compete with the $/lb of chicken/beef at present, but, say the fugu market? It's not a stretch. Iirc he was quoting scale costs at ~2-3x current chicken figures. One reference point was the goldfish fillet that was produced a while ago.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#40 Aug 08 2013 at 8:56 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
I see a future of giant spider steaks and more of such otherwise impossible meats.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#41 Aug 08 2013 at 11:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,261 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
I see a future of giant spider steaks and more of such otherwise impossible meats.


What if they grew the entire spider but GIANT.
#42 Aug 08 2013 at 11:21 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,911 posts
Monkey brains.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#43 Aug 08 2013 at 11:25 AM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
Giant spiders are for transportation, not eating.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#44 Aug 08 2013 at 12:14 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Yodabunny wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
I see a future of giant spider steaks and more of such otherwise impossible meats.


What if they grew the entire spider but GIANT.
I bet Kao would love that. Spiders the size of a cow!
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#45 Aug 08 2013 at 5:34 PM Rating: Good
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Yodabunny wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
I see a future of giant spider steaks and more of such otherwise impossible meats.
What if they grew the entire spider but GIANT.
I bet Kao would love that. Spiders the size of a cow!

Screenshot
Dinner is served.
____________________________
Allegory wrote:
Bijou your art is exceptionally creepy. It seems like their should be something menacing about it, yet no such tone is present.
#46 Aug 08 2013 at 5:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,254 posts
Screenshot
.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#47 Aug 08 2013 at 5:55 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
In before Kao starts swinging the banhammer at any amd all spiders.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#48 Aug 08 2013 at 6:00 PM Rating: Good
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
In before Kao starts swinging the banhammer at any amd all spiders.

You know who the little ranger in that picture is, right? Smiley: grin
____________________________
Allegory wrote:
Bijou your art is exceptionally creepy. It seems like their should be something menacing about it, yet no such tone is present.
#49 Aug 09 2013 at 3:57 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
It's still a big spider and you can't expect Kao to react rationally when faced with spiders.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 43 All times are in CDT
gbaji, Jophiel, lolgaxe, Samira, someproteinguy, Anonymous Guests (38)