Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Lighting Up the World....Follow

#1 Jan 17 2013 at 9:11 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,817 posts
I don't really have any opinion about this except that it's cool....

LINK

This is an NPR article with pictures from the space station of the earth at night - so you can see all our lights. You've seen these type of pics before - large metropolitan areas brightly stand right out, rural areas are black. Well now the oil/gas wells of little old Williston, ND light up the night sky quite graphically - lighter and brighter than Vegas!

The second to the last picture of the series - with the aurora is a sweet pic. It's gonna decorate my fb page.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#2 Jan 17 2013 at 9:26 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,843 posts
I enjoyed the video at the end, specially watching the lighting storms from space.
____________________________
This Post is written in Elnese, If it was an actual Post, it would make sense.

"England needs, examples of people who, leaving Heaven to decide whether they are to rise in the world, decide for themselves that they will be happy in it, and have resolved to seek, not greater wealth, but simpler pleasures; not higher fortune, but deeper felicity; making the first of possessions self-possession, and honouring themselves in the harmless pride and calm pursuits of peace." - John Ruskin
#3 Jan 17 2013 at 9:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
Quote:
Many farmers in North Dakota can't prevent drillers from drilling — even if they'd like to. Decades ago, energy companies bought "mineral rights" to the land below those farms — so the companies can move in, create drilling pads where they please, move in trucks and workers, without the farmers' consent.

Huh that reminds me, when the family sold the farm 50-ish years ago now we kept those "mineral rights" and sold the land.

Drill baby drill.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#4 Jan 17 2013 at 9:33 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,643 posts
article wrote:
Fracking, as you probably know, means pumping water and chemicals down pipes, fracturing the rock, releasing the oil.
Not according to Battlestar Galactica.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#5 Jan 17 2013 at 1:41 PM Rating: Good
I really enjoyed that article (and the photos were amazing). I've personally tried to not have much of an opinion on the drilling that goes on in that area... but the activities in that area constantly make the nightly news here. Unfortunately it has very little to do with the drilling itself:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/26/pf/America_boomtown_crime/index.htm
Quote:

Within the last few months, a Watford City pharmacy was robbed of $16,000 in narcotics, four people were stabbed at a local strip club in Williston, a semi truck crashed into an RV full of people sleeping and the first prostitution ring in decades was busted.

Last year, the number of criminal incidents reported to the Williston Police Department nearly tripled to 16,495. But that's only a fraction of the lawlessness the police have seen this year.

"The numbers we are seeing for this year will blow these out of the water," said Lieutenant David Belisle.

In a single month this summer, the department received 1,000 calls -- compared to the 4,000 calls it received in the three-year period between 2007 and 2009. This year, 9-1-1 calls to the department have already more than tripled last year's call volume, he said.


This is more what concerns me... granted I live on the opposite side of the state, but it's still alarming.
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
#6 Jan 17 2013 at 1:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I read that as "a semi truck crashed into an RV full of sleeping prostitutes".
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#7 Jan 17 2013 at 1:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,683 posts
On a smaller scale, we had a presentation on one of the wells we are drilling in the deep east texas area and it was pretty impressive.

While doubtful it could be seen from space, the burn-offs could be seen from 3-5 miles away and went a couple hundred feet above the stack. It was so flamey that the locals thought the woods were on fire and started calling the fire department.
#8 Jan 18 2013 at 9:39 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Dyadem, pet mage of Jabober wrote:
I really enjoyed that article (and the photos were amazing). I've personally tried to not have much of an opinion on the drilling that goes on in that area... but the activities in that area constantly make the nightly news here. Unfortunately it has very little to do with the drilling itself:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/26/pf/America_boomtown_crime/index.htm
Quote:

Within the last few months, a Watford City pharmacy was robbed of $16,000 in narcotics, four people were stabbed at a local strip club in Williston, a semi truck crashed into an RV full of people sleeping and the first prostitution ring in decades was busted.

Last year, the number of criminal incidents reported to the Williston Police Department nearly tripled to 16,495. But that's only a fraction of the lawlessness the police have seen this year.

"The numbers we are seeing for this year will blow these out of the water," said Lieutenant David Belisle.

In a single month this summer, the department received 1,000 calls -- compared to the 4,000 calls it received in the three-year period between 2007 and 2009. This year, 9-1-1 calls to the department have already more than tripled last year's call volume, he said.


This is more what concerns me... granted I live on the opposite side of the state, but it's still alarming.


Sounds like maybe all those fracking chemicals and gasses may have neurological effects... who'd have thought?
#9 Jan 18 2013 at 9:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I think it's more a Gold Rush Town mentality. Don't the Dakotas allow open carry? I thought the Old West was "really extremely polite because everyone had guns", so says the advocates.

Edited, Jan 18th 2013 9:51am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#10 Jan 18 2013 at 9:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
Jophiel wrote:
I think it's more a Gold Rush Town mentality. Don't the Dakotas allow open carry? I thought the Old West was "really extremely polite because everyone had guns", so says the advocates.


Thought that was Wyoming? They all kinda blur together after a while. Smiley: frown
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#11 Jan 18 2013 at 9:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
South Dakota has a blanket law allowing open carry. North Dakota allows open carry with a permit.

So Speaks Google!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#12 Jan 18 2013 at 10:02 AM Rating: Good
******
43,643 posts
So you have to carry a blanket with your firearm?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#13 Jan 18 2013 at 10:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,709 posts
So does Vermont apparently. Smiley: eek

According to Wikipedia I have a lot to learn.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#14 Jan 18 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,817 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
So you have to carry a blanket with your firearm?

You can substitute a towel if it has sufficient nap.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#15 Jan 18 2013 at 11:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
In "cool pictures" news, 16gigapixel photo of Machu Picchu
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#16 Jan 18 2013 at 12:26 PM Rating: Good
The word here in Rapid City, SD is that an awful lot of meth is going in that direction (Williston).

But, y'know, hearsay.
____________________________
gbaji wrote:
My own extraordinary nature has nothing to do with the validity of what I'm talking about..
#17 Jan 18 2013 at 12:30 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,817 posts
Jophiel wrote:
In "cool pictures" news, 16gigapixel photo of Machu Picchu

That is pretty neat. I didn't find the floating heads yet.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#18 Jan 22 2013 at 10:32 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,950 posts
Elinda wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
In "cool pictures" news, 16gigapixel photo of Machu Picchu

That is pretty neat. I didn't find the floating heads yet.


Find the guy smiling for the camera.

Yes, there is one.
____________________________
"India black magic anal sex zionist blow job terrorism child rape bicycle"
Just as Planned.
#19 Jan 22 2013 at 12:31 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,921 posts
Guenny wrote:
Dyadem, pet mage of Jabober wrote:
I really enjoyed that article (and the photos were amazing). I've personally tried to not have much of an opinion on the drilling that goes on in that area... but the activities in that area constantly make the nightly news here. Unfortunately it has very little to do with the drilling itself:

http://money.cnn.com/2011/10/26/pf/America_boomtown_crime/index.htm
Quote:

Within the last few months, a Watford City pharmacy was robbed of $16,000 in narcotics, four people were stabbed at a local strip club in Williston, a semi truck crashed into an RV full of people sleeping and the first prostitution ring in decades was busted.

Last year, the number of criminal incidents reported to the Williston Police Department nearly tripled to 16,495. But that's only a fraction of the lawlessness the police have seen this year.

"The numbers we are seeing for this year will blow these out of the water," said Lieutenant David Belisle.

In a single month this summer, the department received 1,000 calls -- compared to the 4,000 calls it received in the three-year period between 2007 and 2009. This year, 9-1-1 calls to the department have already more than tripled last year's call volume, he said.


This is more what concerns me... granted I live on the opposite side of the state, but it's still alarming.


Sounds like maybe all those fracking chemicals and gasses may have neurological effects... who'd have thought?


Time to send in MAAAATT DAAAAAMON and the F.A.G.s!
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#20 Jan 22 2013 at 1:30 PM Rating: Good
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,564 posts
Elinda wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
In "cool pictures" news, 16gigapixel photo of Machu Picchu

That is pretty neat. I didn't find the floating heads yet.

http://i.imgur.com/mIEbayU.jpg
This lady ties into the Sandy Hook conspiracy somehow, I know it.
____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#21 Jan 22 2013 at 2:22 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,044 posts
Earth looks like Coruscant at night.

The last video was mind-blowing. Seemed so unreal with the aurora.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 40 All times are in CDT
Aethien, Elinda, Samira, Anonymous Guests (37)