Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Disney buys LucasFollow

#27 Oct 31 2012 at 1:40 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,595 posts
Paskil wrote:

I'm withholding judgement for now. I think with the right talent, they can do a good job. I think that Episode One overstayed its welcome a bit on the Podracing, but I really didn't mind and even liked Episode Two and Three.

Podracing was a great game. The movie sucked terribly. I can't begin to imagine how Liam Neeson could speak that cheesy dialog, and I've never been fond of Ewan Mcgregor. Natalie Portman was ok.

High Science Fiction aside the characters stories were totally unbelievable - the main blot boring.

The graphics were ok, but not anywhere near appealing enough to do anything to save the movie.

I was so tainted by Episode 1, i couldn't watch 2 or 3 with an open mind. But I might have to do that again.

I really loved the first three movies. I remember going to the first movie. It wasn't my pick, but I didn't yet drive so was at the mercy of my older sister who did drive. She wanted to see it badly. I got hooked.

I doubt if Disney will do any worse than Lucas.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#28 Oct 31 2012 at 1:45 PM Rating: Good
******
49,907 posts
Elinda wrote:
I can't begin to imagine how Liam Neeson could speak that cheesy dialog,
Couple million bucks, residuals (and possibly reprising the role in the future), and being associated with a Star Wars flick probably helped ease the pain.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#29 Oct 31 2012 at 2:06 PM Rating: Good
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,636 posts
Elinda wrote:
I can't begin to imagine how Liam Neeson could speak that cheesy dialog,

Have you seen his recent film career?
____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#30 Oct 31 2012 at 2:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
lolgaxe wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I can't begin to imagine how Liam Neeson could speak that cheesy dialog,
Couple million bucks, residuals (and possibly reprising the role in the future), and being associated with a Star Wars flick probably helped ease the pain.

Michael Caine, on his role in the dreadful "Jaws: the Revenge", famously wrote:
I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.

____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#31 Oct 31 2012 at 2:12 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
3,464 posts
trickybeck wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I can't begin to imagine how Liam Neeson could speak that cheesy dialog,

Have you seen his recent film career?


He is a man with a very particular set of talents...Cashing Checks!
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#32 Oct 31 2012 at 9:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
trickybeck wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I can't begin to imagine how Liam Neeson could speak that cheesy dialog,

Have you seen his recent film career?

"I trained Batman. I trained Jedi. I was Zeus. And you *still* think it's a good idea to kidnap my family?"
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#33 Oct 31 2012 at 9:23 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,758 posts
Given how crappy his movies have been over the last dozen years or so, they can't do too much worse. When I first heard about this going down, I was pretty shocked. That quickly wore off, and now I'm just thinking of how great it would be to sell your life's work and go into retirement with that much scratch to play with.

He can build his own Endor... populated by per-pubesent children in little furry costumes. I'm guessing that's what he was going for all along.
____________________________
Some people are like slinkies, they aren't really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
#34 Oct 31 2012 at 9:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,281 posts
Debalic wrote:
trickybeck wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I can't begin to imagine how Liam Neeson could speak that cheesy dialog,

Have you seen his recent film career?

"I trained Batman. I trained Jedi. I was Zeus. And you *still* think it's a good idea to kidnap my family?"




In two separate movies even.



Edited, Oct 31st 2012 11:46pm by Shaowstrike
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#35 Oct 31 2012 at 10:47 PM Rating: Decent
Drama Nerdvana
******
20,674 posts
I got Zahn series for a gift when I was 13, so 1994ish, awesome books. Mental note, I need to dust them off and see if they hold up almost 2 decades later.
____________________________
Bode - 100 Holy Paladin - Lightbringer
#36 Oct 31 2012 at 10:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
12,281 posts
bodhisattva wrote:
I got Zahn series for a gift when I was 13, so 1994ish, awesome books. Mental note, I need to dust them off and see if they hold up almost 2 decades later.


They do, and the audiobooks are still magical. Smiley: inlove
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#37 Oct 31 2012 at 11:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
29,913 posts
I miss X-wing. though X-wing vs. tie fighter was also a great game (and tie fighter too for that matter) Any game where you get to attack and kill an executor class super star destroyer has to be good. And the medical frigate redemption mission remains to this day one of the most challenging space simulator engagements I've ever come across. then the fact that you get to play it from the other side in tie fighter was awsome!

If any game needs a graphics update and direct port to windows 7 as is, its them.
____________________________
Arch Duke Kaolian Drachensborn, lvl 95 Ranger, Unrest Server
Tech support forum | FAQ (Support) | Mobile Zam: http://m.zam.com (Premium only)
Forum Rules
#38 Nov 01 2012 at 6:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
Pumpkin Lörd Kaolian wrote:
I miss X-wing. though X-wing vs. tie fighter was also a great game (and tie fighter too for that matter) Any game where you get to attack and kill an executor class super star destroyer has to be good. And the medical frigate redemption mission remains to this day one of the most challenging space simulator engagements I've ever come across. then the fact that you get to play it from the other side in tie fighter was awsome!

If any game needs a graphics update and direct port to windows 7 as is, its them.

Sounds boss, but you know they'll just throw in some totally inappropriate music and make Jar-Jar your copilot.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#39 Nov 01 2012 at 8:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,445 posts
Pumpkin Lörd Kaolian wrote:
I miss X-wing. though X-wing vs. tie fighter was also a great game (and tie fighter too for that matter) Any game where you get to attack and kill an executor class super star destroyer has to be good. And the medical frigate redemption mission remains to this day one of the most challenging space simulator engagements I've ever come across. then the fact that you get to play it from the other side in tie fighter was awsome!

If any game needs a graphics update and direct port to windows 7 as is, its them.


Wouldn't it be great if they still made games like that? (As opposed to 3rd person railway Star Wars themed Gummi Ship/Star Fox clones...)

I've been trying to find an old copy or remake of the X-wing/Tie Fighter series and have had no luck anywhere. You'd think with all the wonderful technology we possess today there'd be some way to either play the classic games, or make new ones using the same formula and modern graphics.
____________________________
Galkaman wrote:
Kuwoobie will die crushed under the burden of his mediocrity.

#40 Nov 01 2012 at 8:48 AM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
Kuwoobie wrote:
Pumpkin Lörd Kaolian wrote:
I miss X-wing. though X-wing vs. tie fighter was also a great game (and tie fighter too for that matter) Any game where you get to attack and kill an executor class super star destroyer has to be good. And the medical frigate redemption mission remains to this day one of the most challenging space simulator engagements I've ever come across. then the fact that you get to play it from the other side in tie fighter was awsome!

If any game needs a graphics update and direct port to windows 7 as is, its them.


Wouldn't it be great if they still made games like that? (As opposed to 3rd person railway Star Wars themed Gummi Ship/Star Fox clones...)

I've been trying to find an old copy or remake of the X-wing/Tie Fighter series and have had no luck anywhere. You'd think with all the wonderful technology we possess today there'd be some way to either play the classic games, or make new ones using the same formula and modern graphics.

Bittorrent? Abandonware?
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#41 Nov 01 2012 at 8:54 AM Rating: Excellent
******
49,907 posts
ScummVM
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#42 Nov 01 2012 at 9:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,443 posts
X-wing vs. Tie Fighter made the darn turbolasers harder to see. No longer could your 1 measly little Y-wing effortlessly take down a Star Destroyer on its own. Smiley: frown

Of all the things to remember... Smiley: lol
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#43 Nov 01 2012 at 2:26 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
35,010 posts
Kakar wrote:
Given how crappy his movies have been over the last dozen years or so, they can't do too much worse.


I avoided the whole "clash/wrath of the Titans" films, so I think I was spared the worst. Taken was "meh" IMO. Stock action flick I suppose. I did actually find Unknown to be pretty good though. Neat plot twist if nothing else.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#44 Nov 01 2012 at 2:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The trick is to just imagine him as Oskar Schindler in everything to class the movie up.

"Kick that wolf's ***, Schindler! Save those Jews!"
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#46 Nov 01 2012 at 6:50 PM Rating: Excellent
******
49,907 posts
crazylegz1975 wrote:
What predictable little automaton's you all are.
Completely unpredictable you'll parrot yet another conspiracy, though.

Edited, Nov 1st 2012 8:50pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#47 Nov 01 2012 at 7:11 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
crazylegz1975 wrote:
I'll tell you why now....it's because every business big and small are terrified of the obama tax increases set to go into effect next year.

At least you've come to terms with the fact that Obama is going to win. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to rush things since Romney would no doubt be throwing handfuls of cash at the corporations and hosting a pizza party for their deal.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#48 Nov 01 2012 at 7:52 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
35,010 posts
Jophiel wrote:
crazylegz1975 wrote:
I'll tell you why now....it's because every business big and small are terrified of the obama tax increases set to go into effect next year.

At least you've come to terms with the fact that Obama is going to win. Otherwise, there'd be no reason to rush things since Romney would no doubt be throwing handfuls of cash at the corporations and hosting a pizza party for their deal.


Except that whoever wins next week doesn't start their term until Jan of next year *after* the tax changes go through. A Romney win dramatically increases the odds that our government will retroactively extend the Bush tax rates and undo the damage somewhat, but the odds of anyone passing legislation to change things prior to next year are the same regardless of the outcome of the election (looking quite low atm).
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#49 Nov 01 2012 at 8:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Except that whoever wins next week doesn't start their term until Jan of next year *after* the tax changes go through.

In which case there's still no reason to rush a sale before Nov 6th. Look, Crazy-whoever just made a stupid post. You don't need to try and defend it just because you're hurting for conservative allies Smiley: grin
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#50 Nov 01 2012 at 8:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,636 posts
crazylegz1975 wrote:
I'll tell you why now....it's because every business big and small are terrified of the obama tax increases set to go into effect next year.

Based on the fact that a super-super-super-super big business bought another super big business? Or are you saying that the only way to weather the tax increases is to become the biggest possible business you can, in which case your argument contradicts itself.

I just looked it up - Disney's 2011 revenue was 1.7% of what the federal government's revenue was. That's kinda crazy.


Edited, Nov 1st 2012 9:19pm by trickybeck
____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#51 Nov 02 2012 at 7:33 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
******
21,262 posts
I'm going to go out on a limb and say Disney announced the deal exactly when their lawyers said it was okay to announce it. No sooner, no later.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck: Retired December 2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest and Taprara Rara on Lamia Server - Member of The Swarm
Curator of the XIV Wallpapers Tumblr and the XIV Fashion Tumblr
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 53 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (53)