Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 Next »
Reply To Thread

Interesting Atlantic Monthly article on BHO's shortcomingsFollow

#102 Oct 10 2012 at 8:09 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
31,767 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Yes. Let's blame the party that ended slavery. Let's blame the party that fought for civil rights for a century. Let's blame the party that actually voted for civil rights against a filibuster led by Democrats. Why?
Quote:
You start out in 1954 by saying, "N--ger, n--ger, n--ger." By 1968 you can't say "n--ger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a **** of a lot more abstract than "N--ger, n--ger."

Guess you guys blew it.


Only because you are making assumptions that aren't there. Republicans realized that they could win white voters in the south without having to resort to the kind of racism that the Democrats had used to do so in the past. What's ironic is the need for those on the left to inject racism into a platform that ultimately has none. Which is how you (and to be fair a whole bunch of people) miss that Atwater was contrasting the methods used by Democrats and those used by Republicans.

Quote:
But, hey, now you get to run ads about how the scary black president wants to end welfare work requirements so it's not all bad, right?


He'd be just as scary to us if he were white Joph. But the fact that you have to highlight his race kinda proves my point.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#103 Oct 10 2012 at 9:01 PM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Republicans realized that they could win white voters in the south without having to resort to the kind of racism that the Democrats had used to do so in the past.

Smiley: laughSmiley: laughSmiley: laughSmiley: laugh

Look, that's fine. If you want to tell yourself that blacks and Hispanics vote Democratic in overwhelming numbers because of media conspiracies or Democratic trickery or, really, any excuse you can make up except for "We were wrong on some stuff", that's great. Makes the Democrats' job easier every election moving forward. Here's another quote for ya:
Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) wrote:
The demographics race we're losing badly. We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.

You'll see there's an "R" in there. Give ya something to cry about.

Edited, Oct 10th 2012 10:02pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#104 Oct 10 2012 at 10:41 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,982 posts
Technogeek wrote:
gbaji wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
You're proving my point.
Is your point that you'll cry over every little joke? Because that's a really good point to be made.


It would be a much more funny joke if there weren't so many people who actually do believe that Republicans fought against Civil rights, and fought for slavery and Jim Crow and segregation. You make a joke, but a whole lot of people don't see it as a joke. So forgive me if I'm always going to correct the false assumption when I see it.

seems like I have to make this point to you repeatedly


Do you honestly think that the current version of the GOP would even remotely back these causes? Really?

****, Democrat and Republican used to be the same party!
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#105 Oct 11 2012 at 12:40 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,636 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
I sincerely hope that that's the working interpretation of the law. Because if so, I'd start breaking into peoples' houses armed with a swordfish. Don't have a swordfish to counter me with? Then sorry, I'll be taking your big screen.
Swordfish are unwieldy as weapons and the people you're robbing can still punch you. Unless you cut off your hands.


Edited, Oct 11th 2012 12:49am by Poldaran
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#106 Oct 11 2012 at 8:07 AM Rating: Good
******
43,978 posts
Debalic wrote:
****, Democrat and Republican used to be the same party!
They're only different parties during elections.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#107 Oct 11 2012 at 8:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Of course, the election season is 365 days a year, every year.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#108 Oct 11 2012 at 10:05 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Hey, a tour bus ain't cheap.
#109 Oct 11 2012 at 11:29 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,065 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Republicans realized that they could win white voters in the south without having to resort to the kind of racism that the Democrats had used to do so in the past.

Smiley: laughSmiley: laughSmiley: laughSmiley: laugh

Look, that's fine. If you want to tell yourself that blacks and Hispanics vote Democratic in overwhelming numbers because of media conspiracies or Democratic trickery or, really, any excuse you can make up except for "We were wrong on some stuff", that's great.

That's letting him off pretty easy.

gbaji, your assumption about black people being duped into being democrats is a pretty bold racial taunt in and of itself. I fear you don't even see how badly you just slammed a whole race of people though.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#110 Oct 11 2012 at 1:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
This is the same guy who previously swore that the Southern Strategy didn't exist, even with three former RNC heads talking about it. His self-delusion knows no boundaries. "Letting him off easy" is also translated as "Saving myself the effort".
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#111 Oct 11 2012 at 2:21 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
I sincerely hope that that's the working interpretation of the law. Because if so, I'd start breaking into peoples' houses armed with a swordfish. Don't have a swordfish to counter me with? Then sorry, I'll be taking your big screen.
Swordfish are unwieldy as weapons and the people you're robbing can still punch you. Unless you cut off your hands.


Quote:
When being attacked by a criminal or burglar, you may only protect yourself with the same weapon that the other person posseses.


Nope, sorry. Swordfishes at dawn.

Edited, Oct 11th 2012 4:21pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#112 Oct 11 2012 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,586 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
I sincerely hope that that's the working interpretation of the law. Because if so, I'd start breaking into peoples' houses armed with a swordfish. Don't have a swordfish to counter me with? Then sorry, I'll be taking your big screen.
Swordfish are unwieldy as weapons and the people you're robbing can still punch you. Unless you cut off your hands.


Quote:
When being attacked by a criminal or burglar, you may only protect yourself with the same weapon that the other person posseses.


Nope, sorry. Swordfishes at dawn.

Edited, Oct 11th 2012 4:21pm by Eske


Since both parties, for Poldaran's Scenario, possess hands, then fisticuffs can take place.

ETA: Names are confusing!

Edited, Oct 11th 2012 1:25pm by stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#113 Oct 11 2012 at 5:32 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,982 posts
Like the old saying goes, never bring a swordfish to a boxing match...
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#114 Oct 11 2012 at 5:35 PM Rating: Good
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,578 posts
Jophiel wrote:
This is the same guy who previously swore that the Southern Strategy didn't exist, even with three former RNC heads talking about it. His self-delusion knows no boundaries. "Letting him off easy" is also translated as "Saving myself the effort".

He's also the same guy who thought that federal laws against hiring discrimination based on race only applied to government instutions. He had no idea that it was also illegal for private employers to discriminate. But I still think he's qualified to comment on racial politics; I mean the Civil Rights Act was a pretty obscure piece of legislation.


Edited, Oct 11th 2012 6:35pm by trickybeck
____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#115 Oct 11 2012 at 6:12 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Debalic wrote:
Like the old saying goes, never bring a swordfish to a boxing match...


*sigh* I suppose y'all are right. I've been burned by this too many times, I tell ye.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
1 2 3 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 48 All times are in CDT
idiggory, Samira, TirithRR, Anonymous Guests (45)