Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Interesting Atlantic Monthly article on BHO's shortcomingsFollow

#52 Oct 04 2012 at 9:26 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,320 posts
Totem wrote:
Not at all. If I overcompensate, it would be in my tendency to empathize with others' plights. Regardless the persona I project here on this and other boards, my instinct is to see the world through the eyes of the person I am trying to understand.

However, Catho's statement baldly taken would suggest that our blacks have somehow been given greater obstacles and difficulties than blacks from other regions of the world. Yet, as a man who has traveled the world extensively, lived in Africa, the Middle East, and various places of interest in Central Asia, I can firmly attest to the view that many, if not most blacks from elsewhere subscribe to, which is that Americans, black, white, yellow, red, and all the shades inbetween have life pretty good and would gladly trade their existence for even the most destitute of inner city blacks.

Furthermore, if you cannot appreciate that last sentence for the sheer obviousness of it, then that tells me you haven't moved or lived in those circles. Because to them, a little racism for what there is in the United States, pales in comparison to the overwhelming violence and misery which surrounds them on a daily basis-- you know, the kind of trouble which involves being macheted to death, raped until dead, children forced to point a gun at their mother and pull the trigger, being accused of witchery and turning your neighbors into monkeys, having *** with newborns because you believe it cures AIDS, bathing in the blood of rival tribes thinking it renders you impervious to bullets, knives, and roadside bombs.

At the risk of minimizing our collective past, the complaints of blacks and those championing their problems smacks of the teenage girl bitterly complaining about the injustice befalling her when her parents take her cell phone away for bad grades. Trust not me, but the millions of blacks who have experienced real problems and carry on anyway. Racism?!? Pffft, if only they had such tiny problems.

Totem

There was nothing comparative in Catwho's statement either. Nor were there any negros complaining. You're going off on a tirade all of your own making. And you're badly dissing teenage 'girls' at the same time. How do teenage boys react when their parents take their cell phones away.

A bit of sexism here, a lil racism there. Smiley: clown
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#53 Oct 04 2012 at 10:35 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,614 posts
Totem wrote:
However, Catho's statement baldly taken would suggest that our blacks have somehow been given greater obstacles and difficulties than blacks from other regions of the world. Yet, as a man who has traveled the world extensively, lived in Africa, the Middle East, and various places of interest in Central Asia, I can firmly attest to the view that many, if not most blacks from elsewhere subscribe to, which is that Americans, black, white, yellow, red, and all the shades inbetween have life pretty good and would gladly trade their existence for even the most destitute of inner city blacks.

Furthermore, if you cannot appreciate that last sentence for the sheer obviousness of it, then that tells me you haven't moved or lived in those circles. Because to them, a little racism for what there is in the United States, pales in comparison to the overwhelming violence and misery which surrounds them on a daily basis-- you know, the kind of trouble which involves being macheted to death, raped until dead, children forced to point a gun at their mother and pull the trigger, being accused of witchery and turning your neighbors into monkeys, having *** with newborns because you believe it cures AIDS, bathing in the blood of rival tribes thinking it renders you impervious to bullets, knives, and roadside bombs.

At the risk of minimizing our collective past, the complaints of blacks and those championing their problems smacks of the teenage girl bitterly complaining about the injustice befalling her when her parents take her cell phone away for bad grades. Trust not me, but the millions of blacks who have experienced real problems and carry on anyway. Racism?!? Pffft, if only they had such tiny problems.

Totem


You're right, it is all just about comparing **** size, amirte? We shouldn't worry about anything, since we have it so much better than everyone else. Since, you know, no one in Amurka is "suffering" by your standards.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#54 Oct 04 2012 at 2:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
But we're supposed to be better than everyone else.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#55 Oct 04 2012 at 2:33 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,264 posts
According to whom? Any way you slice it Norway is the best place to live in the world right now. If only it weren't so cold...
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#56 Oct 05 2012 at 9:33 AM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
Stupidmonkey, your assessment would be correct, sir. For comparison purposes allow me to demonstrate: Take a photo of a 1930's poverty stricken out-of-work... bum. Contrast that with, oh, any "poor" and unemployed person in the US today and what do you see? A 1930's skinny person having trouble getting enough money to eat vs an morbidly obese slob who can't bother to get up to find work. Face it. There is no hunger in the United States unless you are just too lazy to accept that food stamps won't be delivered to your door and you need to go stand in line for some.

Oh. My bad. Yeah, I guess the Postal Service still delivers mail.

Huh. Life does suck here in the US!

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#57 Oct 05 2012 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
Totem wrote:
Stupidmonkey, your assessment would be correct, sir. For comparison purposes allow me to demonstrate: Take a photo of a 1930's poverty stricken out-of-work... bum. Contrast that with, oh, any "poor" and unemployed person in the US today and what do you see? A 1930's skinny person having trouble getting enough money to eat vs an morbidly obese slob who can't bother to get up to find work. Face it. There is no hunger in the United States unless you are just too lazy to accept that food stamps won't be delivered to your door and you need to go stand in line for some.

Oh. My bad. Yeah, I guess the Postal Service still delivers mail.

Huh. Life does suck here in the US!

Totem


HEY TOTEM

How many people have you seen die violent deaths? Got any 'trophies' yet?
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#58 Oct 05 2012 at 9:41 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,320 posts
Totem wrote:
There is no hunger in the United States unless ....
Are you sure?

Quote:

Oh. My bad. Yeah, I guess the Postal Service still delivers mail.
They have cards now that are just reloaded with points monthly. No standing in line or sending required.

Quote:
Huh. Life does suck here in the US!

Totem
More for some than others.


____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#59 Oct 05 2012 at 11:46 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,614 posts
Totem wrote:
Stupidmonkey, your assessment would be correct, sir. For comparison purposes allow me to demonstrate: Take a photo of a 1930's poverty stricken out-of-work... bum. Contrast that with, oh, any "poor" and unemployed person in the US today and what do you see? A 1930's skinny person having trouble getting enough money to eat vs an morbidly obese slob who can't bother to get up to find work. Face it. There is no hunger in the United States unless you are just too lazy to accept that food stamps won't be delivered to your door and you need to go stand in line for some.

Oh. My bad. Yeah, I guess the Postal Service still delivers mail.

Huh. Life does suck here in the US!

Totem


Like I said, by YOUR standards.
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#60 Oct 05 2012 at 1:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Apropos is our quote of the day:
Quote:
"The institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth."

-- Arkansas state Rep. Jon Hubbard (R), quoted by the Arkansas Times.


You're welcome, black people!!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#61 Oct 05 2012 at 1:55 PM Rating: Excellent
That would make a good daily show segment.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#62 Oct 05 2012 at 1:57 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Hey, we gave them the opportunity to earn their citizenship through slave labor and abuse, why don't we allow the same benefits toward Mexicans?
#63 Oct 05 2012 at 2:14 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,049 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Apropos is our quote of the day:
Quote:
"The institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth."

-- Arkansas state Rep. Jon Hubbard (R), quoted by the Arkansas Times.


You're welcome, black people!!

Besides, would they rather be in presemt-day Africa?
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#64 Oct 05 2012 at 2:47 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
Quote:
"The institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth."

-- Arkansas state Rep. Jon Hubbard (R), quoted by the Arkansas Times.


Political Wire (where I'm assuming you did the copy/paste from) quoted from a blog attached to the Arkansas Times and removed an ellipses and changed a lower case to upper to make it appear like a sentence starts where it doesn't. But other than that, they did a great job with their quotation!

I have no clue what this guy was actually trying to say, what context his statement was made, whether he was stating his own opinion or saying "some people think that ...". But absent said context and more full quote, and given the source of what we do have, I'm going to reserve judgment.

Oh. And I also have never heard of this guy before either, so a big "why is this relevant?" seems appropriate.

Edited, Oct 5th 2012 1:49pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#65 Oct 05 2012 at 3:22 PM Rating: Good
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,599 posts
http://books.google.com/books?id=oFH_mlvrcHEC&q=abomination#v=snippet&q=abomination&f=false

(Click excerpt to expand)

Basically: "It was god's plan." Also, Hubbard's thought process here isn't evolved much beyond what a 12-year-old could come up with. And it's nothing new or innovative, either.


Edited, Oct 5th 2012 4:25pm by trickybeck
____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#66 Oct 05 2012 at 3:45 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
trickybeck wrote:
http://books.google.com/books?id=oFH_mlvrcHEC&q=abomination#v=snippet&q=abomination&f=false

(Click excerpt to expand)

Basically: "It was god's plan." Also, Hubbard's thought process here isn't evolved much beyond what a 12-year-old could come up with. And it's nothing new or innovative, either.


It's also not particularly racist either. Maybe not so politically correct, but reading the pages that are available on that site in that chapter, he's making a strong case that African Americans are fully capable of succeeding in America, but that certain socio-political factors make it more difficult for them. He's actually engaging in a pretty frank examination of an issue that most people will shy away from exactly because of the kinds of cherry picked quotations that said Alantic Times blogger printed.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#67 Oct 05 2012 at 5:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Oh. And I also have never heard of this guy before either, so a big "why is this relevant?" seems appropriate.

Because Totem was just talking about how blacks have it so much better here ("just got to deal with a little racism") versus over in Africa. I don't give a crap about some state senator in Arkansas, I just found it timely and amusing.

When you're frothing with indignation, try and keep up, would ya? Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#68 Oct 05 2012 at 6:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,415 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Apropos is our quote of the day:
Quote:
"The institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth."

-- Arkansas state Rep. Jon Hubbard (R), quoted by the Arkansas Times.


You're welcome, black people!!


Maybe it would have sounded like a less callous comment if he sung it to an upbeat tune.



And I found this one while looking for the other video.

____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#69 Oct 05 2012 at 6:39 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Oh. And I also have never heard of this guy before either, so a big "why is this relevant?" seems appropriate.

Because Totem was just talking about how blacks have it so much better here ("just got to deal with a little racism") versus over in Africa.


I'll admit to having just skimmed Totem's posts, but I thought he was comparing poverty today versus poverty in the 1930s. I must have missed the whole racial component. It is interesting that that's what you zeroed in on though.

Quote:
I don't give a crap about some state senator in Arkansas, I just found it timely and amusing.


In a "anything to make Republicans look like racists" kind of way, of course. Smiley: wink

Quote:
When you're frothing with indignation, try and keep up, would ya? Smiley: laugh


It's honestly hard to keep up with the sheer volume of partisan crap (oh, I'm sorry. "Coincidentally partisan crap") that you toss out every day.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#70 Oct 05 2012 at 7:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
It is interesting that that's what you zeroed in on though.

It's okay to just admit you were wrong without throwing a little princess hissy fit and trying to make it my fault Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#71 Oct 06 2012 at 5:55 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,320 posts
gbaji wrote:


In a "anything to make Republicans look like racists" kind of way, of course.

I thought the example was being used to make men look like racists. Smiley: confused



Edited, Oct 6th 2012 1:56pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#72 Oct 06 2012 at 10:27 AM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,049 posts
Elinda wrote:
gbaji wrote:


In a "anything to make Republicans look like racists" kind of way, of course.

I thought the example was being used to make men look like racists. Smiley: confused

I thought all you had to do to make Republicans look like racists was to quote them.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#73 Oct 06 2012 at 11:28 AM Rating: Good
******
21,718 posts
Debalic wrote:
Elinda wrote:
gbaji wrote:


In a "anything to make Republicans look like racists" kind of way, of course.

I thought the example was being used to make men look like racists. Smiley: confused

I thought all you had to do to make Republicans look like racists was to quote them.

Point.
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#74 Oct 08 2012 at 4:03 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
Elinda wrote:
gbaji wrote:


In a "anything to make Republicans look like racists" kind of way, of course.

I thought the example was being used to make men look like racists. Smiley: confused


Quote:
"The institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth."

-- Arkansas state Rep. Jon Hubbard (R), quoted by the Arkansas Times.



Still confused?
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#75 Oct 08 2012 at 4:04 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
Debalic wrote:
I thought all you had to do to make Republicans look like racists was to misquote them.


And that's the whole point.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#76 Oct 08 2012 at 4:14 PM Rating: Good
******
44,511 posts
gbaji wrote:
Debalic wrote:
I thought all you had to do to make Republicans look like racists was to misquote them.
And that's the whole point.
So by purposely misquoting Debalic, you're saying you're racist?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#77 Oct 08 2012 at 4:29 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,049 posts
gbaji wrote:
Elinda wrote:
gbaji wrote:


In a "anything to make Republicans look like racists" kind of way, of course.

I thought the example was being used to make men look like racists. Smiley: confused


Quote:
"The institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth."

-- Arkansas state Rep. Jon Hubbard (R), quoted by the Arkansas Times.


Still confused?

Not at all. Good ol' boys from down south are racist. It's not that hard to grasp.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#78 Oct 08 2012 at 4:29 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,590 posts
And to to make it all you had to do was misquote him.

Edit: This would have flowed better without the two intervening posts.

Edited, Oct 8th 2012 5:30pm by Allegory
#79 Oct 09 2012 at 7:18 AM Rating: Good
******
44,511 posts
Comedy is all about timing.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#80 Oct 09 2012 at 5:14 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
It's not a misquote, it's a correction. Smiley: schooled

Edited, Oct 9th 2012 4:15pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#81 Oct 10 2012 at 7:19 AM Rating: Excellent
******
44,511 posts
A correction requires accuracy.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#82 Oct 10 2012 at 7:33 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,320 posts
gbaji wrote:
Elinda wrote:
gbaji wrote:


In a "anything to make Republicans look like racists" kind of way, of course.

I thought the example was being used to make men look like racists. Smiley: confused


Quote:
"The institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth."

-- Arkansas state Rep. Jon Hubbard (R), quoted by the Arkansas Times.



Still confused?

Is Jon a woman?

I was being facetious gbaji. Joph made no mention to the fact that this quote was attributed to a "R" - you did. In fact you imply that one has to cherry pick quotes to find those specifically spoken by a "R".

That quote, what it says, is not really inclusive or exclusive of a political party. It's a stupid statement. You're stupid to point out that the stupid quote is from a member of your political party.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#83 Oct 10 2012 at 8:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
I just assumed we were all making fun of people from Arkansas. Because you know in Arkansas...

Quote:

-Hunting camels is prohibited.
-Any misdemeanor committed while wearing a red mask is considered a felony.
-There is a possible 25 years in prison for cutting down a cactus.
-Donkeys cannot sleep in bathtubs.
-A class 2 misdemeanor occurs if one places a mark upon a flag which is "likely to provoke physical retaliation".
-It is illegal to manufacture imitation cocaine.
-When being attacked by a criminal or burglar, you may only protect yourself with the same weapon that the other person posseses.
-It is unlawful to refuse a person a glass of water.
-You may not have more than two "relationship" toys in a house. (I'm guessing you know what those are.)
-The bullfrog-hunting season is permanently closed.
-It is illegal to sing in a public place while wearing a swimsuit.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#84 Oct 10 2012 at 9:31 AM Rating: Good
******
44,511 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
I just assumed we were all making fun of people from Arkansas.
Never really a wrong time to make fun of Arkansas.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#85 Oct 10 2012 at 10:55 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,415 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
I just assumed we were all making fun of people from Arkansas. Because you know in Arkansas...

Quote:
-When being attacked by a criminal or burglar, you may only protect yourself with the same weapon that the other person posseses.


The other stuff is fine, but what kind of idiotic bullsh*t is this? So I either have to be robbed, or have a fight to the death with the robber over his weapon in order to defend myself?

Edited, Oct 10th 2012 12:55pm by Shaowstrike
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#86 Oct 10 2012 at 12:20 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Shaowstrike the Shady wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
I just assumed we were all making fun of people from Arkansas. Because you know in Arkansas...

Quote:
-When being attacked by a criminal or burglar, you may only protect yourself with the same weapon that the other person posseses.


The other stuff is fine, but what kind of idiotic bullsh*t is this? So I either have to be robbed, or have a fight to the death with the robber over his weapon in order to defend myself?


No no no, only one person can "possess" the weapon at a time. So logically, what this implies is that you have to be in possession of your own version of the robber's weapon, so that the two of you are equally matched. He has a bat? Then you get to use a bat. Etc. etc.

I sincerely hope that that's the working interpretation of the law. Because if so, I'd start breaking into peoples' houses armed with a swordfish. Don't have a swordfish to counter me with? Then sorry, I'll be taking your big screen.

Edited, Oct 10th 2012 2:21pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#87 Oct 10 2012 at 2:49 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
Elinda wrote:
I was being facetious gbaji. Joph made no mention to the fact that this quote was attributed to a "R" - you did. In fact you imply that one has to cherry pick quotes to find those specifically spoken by a "R".


I'm 99.99999% positive that had the statement been made by a Democrat, it would not have been reported, Joph would never have heard about it, and if he had, he would not have chosen to post it. The (R) was very deliberate. And it's why the original article was written, why it was quoted and repeated by another source, and why Joph decided to post it. You are incredibly naive if you haven't noticed the disparity between reporting of racism based on party affiliation.

Quote:
That quote, what it says, is not really inclusive or exclusive of a political party. It's a stupid statement. You're stupid to point out that the stupid quote is from a member of your political party.


Then why include the political party then? Why not just leave off the R? You aren't seriously suggesting that the intent of the quote was to point out that it was a Republican who made it. Cause that would be really naive. Did anyone miss that the quote was from a Republican? Honestly?


It's not like democrats don't say racist things. Guess who said this:

Quote:
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy... I mean, that's a storybook, man."


Ever heard that reported on a mainstream media site? Much less repeated? Or posted?

And on the subject of racist Democratic quotes, this one's particularly appropriate in the context of "why the **** do black folks vote Democrat?":

Quote:
“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don’t move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there’ll be no way of stopping them, we’ll lose the filibuster and there’ll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It’ll be Reconstruction all over again.”


Quote:
"I'll have those n*ggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years."


Take a wild guess who said both those statements. Sad thing is that his strategy worked and today black voters turn out in droves to vote for the very party that has and still is ******** them over every single day. Not by accident. Not in spite of their best efforts and intentions. But because of a deliberate strategy to trap them in a state of entitlement (this is also appropriate to the "47%" comment Romney made btw, so you're getting a twofer.).

Edited, Oct 10th 2012 1:51pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#88 Oct 10 2012 at 3:27 PM Rating: Excellent
******
44,511 posts
gbaji wrote:
I'm 99.99999% positive
So you don't know.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#89 Oct 10 2012 at 3:27 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,614 posts
gbaji wrote:
Ever heard that reported on a mainstream media site? Much less repeated? Or posted?

Does CNN count as mainstream?

gbaji wrote:
Quote:
“These Negroes, they’re getting pretty uppity these days and that’s a problem for us since they’ve got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we’ve got to do something about this, we’ve got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference. For if we don’t move at all, then their allies will line up against us and there’ll be no way of stopping them, we’ll lose the filibuster and there’ll be no way of putting a brake on all sorts of wild legislation. It’ll be Reconstruction all over again.”


Quote:
"I'll have those n*ggers voting Democratic for the next 200 years."


Take a wild guess who said both those statements. Sad thing is that his strategy worked and today black voters turn out in droves to vote for the very party that has and still is ******** them over every single day. Not by accident. Not in spite of their best efforts and intentions. But because of a deliberate strategy to trap them in a state of entitlement (this is also appropriate to the "47%" comment Romney made btw, so you're getting a twofer.).
Edited, Oct 10th 2012 1:51pm by gbaji


LBJ...what do I win?
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#90 Oct 10 2012 at 4:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
Connect the dots, and you win a greater understanding of the cause of black poverty in this country.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#91 Oct 10 2012 at 4:07 PM Rating: Good
******
44,511 posts
Republicans.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#92 Oct 10 2012 at 4:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
I'm 99.99999% positive that had the statement been made by a Democrat, it would not have been reported, Joph would never have heard about it, and if he had, he would not have chosen to post it.

You should have listened to the 0.00001% Smiley: laugh

Quote:
Sad thing is that his strategy worked...

Well, Lee Atwater did his part to help Smiley: smile
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#93 Oct 10 2012 at 4:56 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,320 posts
gbaji wrote:
Elinda wrote:
I was being facetious gbaji. Joph made no mention to the fact that this quote was attributed to a "R" - you did. In fact you imply that one has to cherry pick quotes to find those specifically spoken by a "R".


I'm 99.99999% positive that had the statement been made by a Democrat, it would not have been reported, Joph would never have heard about it, and if he had, he would not have chosen to post it. The (R) was very deliberate. And it's why the original article was written, why it was quoted and repeated by another source, and why Joph decided to post it. You are incredibly naive if you haven't noticed the disparity between reporting of racism based on party affiliation.

Quote:
That quote, what it says, is not really inclusive or exclusive of a political party. It's a stupid statement. You're stupid to point out that the stupid quote is from a member of your political party.


Then why include the political party then? Why not just leave off the R? You aren't seriously suggesting that the intent of the quote was to point out that it was a Republican who made it. Cause that would be really naive. Did anyone miss that the quote was from a Republican? Honestly?


It's not like democrats don't say racist things. Guess who said this:

Quote:
"I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy... I mean, that's a storybook, man."


Ever heard that reported on a mainstream media site? Much less repeated? Or posted?

All men quotes. By your logic that proves my original point. Still I do recall hearing about Biden words. You can watch it all on you tube on a pretty in-depth story aired by NBC back in the day.

gbaji, perhaps you're not really absorbing mainstream media.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#94 Oct 10 2012 at 5:26 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
I thought you were being facetious?

I could provide racist/bigoted statements made by liberal women if you really want. It's not terribly hard to find them.

Edited, Oct 10th 2012 4:26pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#95 Oct 10 2012 at 5:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Republicans.


Yes. Let's blame the party that ended slavery. Let's blame the party that fought for civil rights for a century. Let's blame the party that actually voted for civil rights against a filibuster led by Democrats. Why? Because the party that fought to keep slavery, and fought to implement Jim Crow and segregation, and fought bitterly against civil rights laws, has somehow managed to take control of our media and our education system and has told you over and over that Republicans are to blame.

You're proving my point.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#96 Oct 10 2012 at 5:34 PM Rating: Decent
******
44,511 posts
gbaji wrote:
You're proving my point.
Is your point that you'll cry over every little joke? Because that's a really good point to be made.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#97 Oct 10 2012 at 5:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Yes. Let's blame the party that ended slavery. Let's blame the party that fought for civil rights for a century. Let's blame the party that actually voted for civil rights against a filibuster led by Democrats. Why?
Quote:
You start out in 1954 by saying, "N--ger, n--ger, n--ger." By 1968 you can't say "n--ger" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a **** of a lot more abstract than "N--ger, n--ger."

Guess you guys blew it.

But, hey, now you get to run ads about how the scary black president wants to end welfare work requirements so it's not all bad, right?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#98 Oct 10 2012 at 7:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
You're proving my point.
Is your point that you'll cry over every little joke? Because that's a really good point to be made.


It would be a much more funny joke if there weren't so many people who actually do believe that Republicans fought against Civil rights, and fought for slavery and Jim Crow and segregation. You make a joke, but a whole lot of people don't see it as a joke. So forgive me if I'm always going to correct the false assumption when I see it.

seems like I have to make this point to you repeatedly
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#99 Oct 10 2012 at 7:19 PM Rating: Decent
******
44,511 posts
gbaji wrote:
So forgive me if I'm always going to correct the false assumption when I see it.
I can't forgive you for something you've never done.

seems like I have to make this point to you repeatedly
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#100 Oct 10 2012 at 7:34 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,614 posts
gbaji wrote:
It would be a much more funny joke if there weren't so many people who actually do believe that Republicans fought against Civil rights, and fought for slavery and Jim Crow and segregation. You make a joke, but a whole lot of people don't see it as a joke. So forgive me if I'm always going to correct the false assumption when I see it.


Looks like someone didn't read the Atwater quote, or else didn't know who it was by!

ETA: Or, judging from his response on page 3, a deliberate misunderstanding of what he was reading!

Edited, Oct 10th 2012 7:18pm by stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#101 Oct 10 2012 at 7:36 PM Rating: Excellent
gbaji wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
gbaji wrote:
You're proving my point.
Is your point that you'll cry over every little joke? Because that's a really good point to be made.


It would be a much more funny joke if there weren't so many people who actually do believe that Republicans fought against Civil rights, and fought for slavery and Jim Crow and segregation. You make a joke, but a whole lot of people don't see it as a joke. So forgive me if I'm always going to correct the false assumption when I see it.

seems like I have to make this point to you repeatedly


Do you honestly think that the current version of the GOP would even remotely back these causes? Really?
____________________________
Come on Bill, let's go home
[ffxisig]63311[/ffxisig]
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 37 All times are in CST
Almalieque, Anonymous Guests (36)