Here's the official 28,000 post of doom post! This being of course the 28th such thread i've made In honor of thread 28, here is a list of 28 theoretically interesting, and hopefully at least slightly entertaining secrets related to the forum. Sadly, most of the really, really good ones I can't post, so these will have to do. So, without further do's, or ado, or adieu, I give you.... THE LIST!
28 little known forum secrets of doom
1. The karma system has been mathematically adjusted 13 times since it’s inception
2. We’ve seriously considered a forum merge with OOT and Asylum several times. Going so far as to take a vote which has ended indecisively.
3. The karma system was once going to officially be replaced by a “thanks” system. I was not a fan.
4. Forum posts can be legally traded on the commodities market, and currently have a value equal to 1 /160000tth of a penny.
5. Before Smasharoo suggested the name “Asylum”, the Asylum was actually going to officially be called “The Original Out Of Topic forum”
6. For many years the “# of posts in this forum” thing wasn’t an actual count of posts in the forum, but just a number that randomly increased on a daily basis because it was easier to script.
7. We’ve had law enforcement involvement with more than one thread over the years. Mainly due to restraining orders.
8. At various admin get together that used to occur, Allakhazam liked to take everyone to dinner and buy us all really, really good steaks. They were delicious. I only ever met him twice though in person.
9. We ban something on the order of 4,000 spammers a year, not accounting for that one freak year when someone made a signup script and created 30,000 accounts
10. One year someone made a signup script and created 30,000 accounts
11. Castersrealm was actively sending us all of their forum trolls in an effort to get rid of them and to try and clean up their own forum for many years. For a while they were reportedly giving some of their less crazy ones a “you can stay but only if you can prove you are posting over at allakhazam’s and annoying them” incentive according to at least one account.
12. We deny being the illuminati.
13. A certain set of forum banjo players left the forum over a breakup.
14. In the secret #wombat admin IRC forum, we have a massive repository of funny, embarrising, or otherwise random quotes that contains thousands of interesting ones that will likely never be published. For a complete copy of the list, please send $3k in unmarked bills in a plain paper package to P.O. box ….
15. There is at least one admin who is a much, much, much worse speller than me. Scary huh…
16. That “SOUL BALLS! Internet Tiger! Lady was completely serious, completely crazy, and keeps coming back. Godraiden eventually moved on to other things or the “contract” finally hit. I’m not saying which for certain. HUGEFEMALE remains at large, last seen eating LadyJ.
17. Clstr 7 actually escaped several years ago, and remains plotting from the shadows, location unknown to this very day.
18. Certain “bugs” that certain posters have experienced over years may have been directly proportional to how much they annoyed a certain Dev at one or more times.
19. There are secret, hidden admin only forums. They contain shrubberies!
20. Prior to Magi getting himself canned, he was almost sued and fired for comments made to the female admins. Nothing on the level of the infamous photograph, but still vastly inappropriate. The whole interaction he was having with forum people on the side though we really knew nothing about until that fateful Doug thread. I for one still feel bad about that by the way. We really didn’t know.
21. In all this time, we’re still only had the one official death threat.
22. Allakhazam had a sock puppet…
23. For several years there was no “are you really sure? Prompt on the Ban button.
24. It’s really hard to come up with a list of 28 forum secrets that are even slightly interesting that is composed of the ones I can actually share…
25. When you report a thread, it sends out a notice to all the admins. When you report a PM, it sends a copy to me as a forward. Sometimes people forget to put a comment on why they are forwarding it, so occasionally I get some really … interesting PM’s.
26. In the end, Mren left because he was ****** that people were making fun of the issue with his van and the creepy guy, a fact I find deeply ironic.
27. Gitslayer stole Grady’s frog…
28. All admins get vouchers for free cake every Tuesday!
On to 29K!