Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

Not Rift, Dragon Age!Follow

#152 Apr 11 2012 at 3:06 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Rather than dropping eight traps, I dropped one Inferno and one Fireball on the dog room. That worked nicely Smiley: grin


I don't remember many specific areas, but whatever the confrontation, I hit things with my axe until they died.

I'm beginning feel like I had a very different experience with this game than everyone else did....
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#153 Apr 11 2012 at 3:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,841 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Game kinda nudges you towards Redcliffe first, but whatever.


Yeah, which was precisely what I did. Seemed like a such a good idea at the time... Smiley: oyvey

Alrighty, well I may just have to give a re-go a try then, head to the mage tower straight away. Well either that or get to the capital early on so I can buy that spirit healer book sooner if I do another mage. This whole running around with a level 12(?) unspecialized mage (especially one who only grabbed healing spells later on out of necessity) as a healer thing bites. Smiley: lol

Edited, Apr 11th 2012 2:22pm by someproteinguy
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#154 Apr 11 2012 at 3:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,841 posts
Sir Xsarus wrote:
Those wolf attacks can be seriously and randomly brutal.


Seriously, and I'll save all the time just in case I stumble into one of those as well

The one wolf encounter you get from the job board in Redcliff (I think it was there), that's just nasty. Smiley: frown
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#155 Apr 11 2012 at 3:32 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
19,841 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
As a warrior, where the **** do I get training for the specialties anyway? I suppose I could Google it, but...


Alistair will teach Templar when his approval is high enough.
You get Reaver from desecrating the Urn of Sacred Ashes.
Champion is taught by Arl Eamon as a reward, if you accept, or by the secret companion, if approval is high enough.
Berserker is taught by Oghren (and I don't think approval matters), or purchased from Gorim in Denerim.

Shapeshifting is taught by Morrigan when her approval is high enough.
Spirit Healer is taught by Wynne when her approval is high enough.
Blood Mage is taught by the Desire Demon in the Fade when you enter from Redcliffe.
Arcane Warrior is taught by the spirit in the phylactery in the Brecilian Forest.

Duelist is taught by Isabela in The Pearl, if you sleep with her or beat her at cards (threesomes also valid).
Assassin is taught by Zevran if his approval is high enough.
Bard is taught by Leliana if her approval is high enough.
Ranger is purchased from Bodhann Feddic in the party camp.

[EDIT]

And @Protein, specializations are unlocked for ALL games (current and future) when you unlock them once, so you don't need to worry about grabbing Spirit Healer from Denerim if you go to the tower. "When approval is high enough" is variable, I think. IIRC, Wynne was rather forthcoming with her secrets, where it took me a lot longer to get Zevran to open up.

Edited, Apr 11th 2012 5:35pm by idiggory
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#156 Apr 11 2012 at 3:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
OK, Idiggory actually did a good job rather than my random mumbling.

Edited, Apr 11th 2012 4:55pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#157 Apr 11 2012 at 4:31 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,686 posts
Decided to Google and found out that if you save and then buy from Gorim, then reload the save, once you level next, you get Berserker for free. Was one quest completion from leveling, so didn't have to wait long.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#158 Apr 11 2012 at 5:00 PM Rating: Good
On my 360 version, I never was able to get Wynne to even have the option of talking about Spirit Healing. I was almost positive that you could learn it from her, but I never could figure out how, so I just ended up buying the book.

Just finished the Witch Hunter DLC. That was interesting... I still can't figure out why I can't log into my account in the game, but I'm waiting on a live chat with support to see if I can fix that.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#159 Apr 11 2012 at 5:06 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,841 posts
Actually, I was wrong. Wynne won't teach you. The book is your only option.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#160 Apr 11 2012 at 5:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Won't teach you, maybe. You gotta romance her...
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#161 Apr 11 2012 at 5:24 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,841 posts
Has she healed your spirit, Joph?
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#162 Apr 11 2012 at 5:29 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Among other things.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#163 Apr 11 2012 at 6:23 PM Rating: Good
****
7,809 posts
Due to EA breaking Mass Effect 3 with their latest patch, I played some DA for a bit. I'm now in the werewolves lair.

EDIT: Guess I should mention that my party consists of a Dwarven Noble Warrior, Dog, Leliana, and Morrigan. Morrigan is actually pretty badass.

Edited, Apr 11th 2012 8:25pm by Kastigir
____________________________
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. ~River Tam

Sedao
#164 Apr 11 2012 at 6:48 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,841 posts
I go back and forth on Morrigan.

On my last play, I maxed her affection (without a romance), and she called me her true friend. Except I had betrayed her, letting Flemeth go, since I knew what happened in DA2 anyway, then telling Morrigan she was dead.

I felt so rotten afterwards.

I think she's actually one of the best written characters, personally. You aren't supposed to like her when you first meet her. You're supposed to come to understand her life, though, and understand how she came to be the way she is. Like Jack in ME2 (who BioWare actually said was intended to drive the player insane at first, but be shockingly endearing once you learned more about her).

Mostly, it was seeing how she reacted to my different choices regarding her and the endings, up through Witch Hunt. I really do like her as a character.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#165 Apr 11 2012 at 6:59 PM Rating: Good
****
7,809 posts
I mean Morrigan is badass from the perspective as I've set her tactics up to be a damager. As far as her character goes, she's kind of a *****. I will admit though that I will probably let Flemeth go because she's Captain Janeway.
____________________________
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. ~River Tam

Sedao
#166 Apr 11 2012 at 7:13 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,841 posts
Yeah, she definitely can be. But I like that a lot of that seems to be a front to hide her own fear.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#167 Apr 11 2012 at 8:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I'd kill Flemeth just to end that obnoxious voice acting.

I mean, "Just to end that obnoxious voice acting, HA-HA-HA!!!"

As for Morrigan, yeah, sucks to have a bad mom and all but at the end of the day, Morrigan is evil. She tries to explain off her goal of engulfing a child's soul with that of an 'old god' by saying it's what Flemeth sent her for but that's a bullshit excuse since Morrigan believes her mother's dead anyway. Or dead enough. And it's not about doing the Wardens a solid since Morrigan would step over Alister's corpse for a stick of gum and knows that none of the Wardens except you would accept her plan knowing the full details. Morrigan is doing this act because it's what she wants and what'll bring her power. At that point, it's sort of hard to say "Poor you and your broken mirror; that must have made for some lousy Christmases."

Edited, Apr 11th 2012 9:56pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#168 Apr 11 2012 at 9:05 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,841 posts
I have a theory that she's Andraste. And I really want it to be true, because how awesome would that be?
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#169 Apr 12 2012 at 6:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,248 posts
Do you mean Morrigan, or Flemeth? Morrigan is certifiably Flemeth's 20something daughter, not Andraste. Flemeth, as we know, has been around for centuries, so... maybe. But her own origin story says different, as Leliana will tell you in camp if you ask.

Also, to buttress Joph's spoiler: if you refuse to ask Alistair or... you know.... to go through with Morrigan's dark ritual, or if he refuses, Morrigan leaves you in the lurch on the eve of battle, the faithless bitCh.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#170 Apr 12 2012 at 7:05 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Besides, everyone knows that Andraste was reincarnated into a giant dragon! Smiley: grin

Final point on Morrigan: Throughout the game, she reacts hesitantly to friendship or love. As a friend, if you tell her you'll always be there for her, she says you can't promise that not knowing what the future has in store for her. As a lover, she repeatedly tries to end it with you. She knows, and has always known, what she's going to do to advance her own power and however conflicted it makes her this is more important to her than anyone's friendship or love. However tragic, she's not basically a Good Person. She's a Bad Person with sympathetic traits (that she's possibly playing you with).

In contrast, Leliana has done a lot of fucked up shit in her life as an Orlesian bard but you still feel that she's basically a Good Person. A bit too naive and easily led perhaps but not so utterly selfish and power obsessed.

Of course now someday DA3 will come out and it'll be revealed that Morrigan was playing the long game to save the world at great personal sacrifice or something Smiley: laugh


Edited, Apr 12th 2012 8:41am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#171 Apr 12 2012 at 7:39 AM Rating: Good
*****
19,841 posts
I was talking about Flemeth. If you play Witch Hunt, Morrigan says that she's more powerful than anyone had ever imagined, not an abomination, and not human. Doesn't mean she's Adraste, of course, I just think that seems fitting with the overall movement of the narrative.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#172 Apr 12 2012 at 7:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
If she's Andraste, she's really let herself go.

Of course, with the DA character models, under Flemeth's robes is the lithe body of a 24 year old Morrigan. Let your mind chew on that for a while.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#173 Apr 12 2012 at 7:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Why are there so many freaking gingers?
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#174 Apr 12 2012 at 7:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The Maker wills it so.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#175 Apr 12 2012 at 8:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,841 posts
More fun, my Human Warrior has one of the darker skin tones. She spent the first hour or two surrounded by all these pasty white people who claim they're related to her.

It's a conspiracy I tells ya. Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#176 Apr 12 2012 at 8:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
*cough*yourmomsawhore*cough*
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#177 Apr 12 2012 at 9:04 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,841 posts
All that "we have to find your father" nonsense she was spewing when the castle was under attack. Lies to the very end. Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#178 Apr 12 2012 at 9:26 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,570 posts
At least they fixed that in DA2.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#179 Apr 12 2012 at 9:33 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
someproteinguy wrote:
All that "we have to find your father" nonsense she was spewing when the castle was under attack. Lies to the very end. Smiley: oyvey

You didn't let her finish.

"We have to find your father...

...he was an Antivan roadie for DragönSläyer..."
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#180 Apr 12 2012 at 11:49 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,324 posts
wow, I was sort of hoping this thread would have been derailed by now. I was looking forward to finding out what other conversation was spawned by a dragon age topic.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#181 Apr 12 2012 at 12:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,841 posts
huh? Smiley: confused

Have some patience; just looking through the last few posts I see yourmomsawhore and spawning dragons. It seems to be well on its way.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#182 Apr 12 2012 at 12:44 PM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,037 posts
someproteinguy wrote:
huh? Smiley: confused

Have some patience; just looking through the last few posts I see yourmomsawhore and spawning dragons. It seems to be well on its way.

I was getting to Alduin in Skyrim last night (second time). I was pretty psyched cuz I was going to get to fly a dragon there. Silly ol me, I thought I'd really get to virtually fly a dragon over Skyrims pretty mountain-scape. But it was just another cut scene. Smiley: bah
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#183 Apr 12 2012 at 12:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Elinda wrote:

Smiley: mad
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#184 Apr 12 2012 at 12:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,580 posts
What's everyone's favorite origin story? Dwarven noble is by far my pick for best origin.
____________________________
"What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.............or cripple you for life." - Accari
#185 Apr 12 2012 at 12:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Is there one where a genlock holds you down and ****** in your eye?

Because I bet that's still more entertaining than the mage circle origin story.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#186 Apr 12 2012 at 1:16 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,841 posts
I like the human noble story, personally. You have this quiet life that's just ripped to shreds in a moment. Plus, I find it the most satisfying in the long run, when you finally get to confront Howe.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#187 Apr 12 2012 at 1:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,286 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I like the human noble story, personally. You have this quiet life that's just ripped to shreds in a moment. Plus, I find it the most satisfying in the long run, when you finally get to confront Howe.

Agreed. Finally sticking a knife in him was probably the highlight of the game most satisfying fight. He's horrible in his own right, but that origin just compounds everything, building all this rage. So when you finally get around to fighting him, it was such sweet vengeance.

Edited, Apr 12th 2012 3:59pm by cidbahamut
____________________________
Server: Midgardsormr
Occupation: Reckless Red Mage

IcookPizza wrote:

I think RDM's neurotic omniscience is sooooooo worth including in any alliance.
#188 Apr 12 2012 at 2:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,580 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Is there one where a genlock holds you down and ****** in your eye?

Because I bet that's still more entertaining than the mage circle origin story.


Yha the mage circle origin story is one of the weakest imo.

____________________________
"What doesn't kill you can only make you stronger.............or cripple you for life." - Accari
#189 Apr 12 2012 at 2:36 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,570 posts
cidbahamut wrote:
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I like the human noble story, personally. You have this quiet life that's just ripped to shreds in a moment. Plus, I find it the most satisfying in the long run, when you finally get to confront Howe.

Agreed. Finally sticking a knife in him was probably the highlight of the game most satisfying fight. He's horrible in his own right, but that origin just compounds everything, building all this rage. So when you finally get around to fighting him, it was such sweet vengeance.
Add my vote to Human noble. Made me feel like I had a much bigger personal stake in the main story. Though city elf was kinda awesome, especially as a female. The look on the guys' faces when he slides that sword to you is priceless.

Jimpadan wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Is there one where a genlock holds you down and ****** in your eye?

Because I bet that's still more entertaining than the mage circle origin story.
Has some nifty carryover into DA2, which is kinda nice. Mage Warden is Hawke's cousin.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#190 Apr 12 2012 at 2:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,841 posts
Jimpadan wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Is there one where a genlock holds you down and ****** in your eye?

Because I bet that's still more entertaining than the mage circle origin story.


Yha the mage circle origin story is one of the weakest imo.



I liked it fine the first time. It was kind of neat how the story in the tower kind of mirrored your trial in the fade. Still I can't imagine a "who's the bad guy" mystery will be anywhere near as interesting the 2nd time, or the 3rd time. Or how ever many times you decide you'd like to be a mage.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#191 Apr 12 2012 at 3:10 PM Rating: Good
I know it doesn't fit with the story, but I do wish that as a mage you had the option of more than one origin story. I do want to try out the other stories, and I might even make a rogue to play out the game again later on. We'll see.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#192 Apr 12 2012 at 3:15 PM Rating: Excellent
They could have included an Apostate mage option imo
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#193 Apr 12 2012 at 4:02 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,841 posts
Sir Xsarus wrote:
They could have included an Apostate mage option imo


I'm betting they originally planned to. But, when you think about it, it's not surprising that it got cut. Not when they can very easily craft a pro- or anti-Circle story from one Origin.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#194 Apr 12 2012 at 7:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,248 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I was talking about Flemeth. If you play Witch Hunt, Morrigan says that she's more powerful than anyone had ever imagined, not an abomination, and not human. Doesn't mean she's Adraste, of course, I just think that seems fitting with the overall movement of the narrative.


Has everyone forgotten that Andraste is a big jar of ash?

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#195 Apr 12 2012 at 7:50 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,841 posts
Samira wrote:
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I was talking about Flemeth. If you play Witch Hunt, Morrigan says that she's more powerful than anyone had ever imagined, not an abomination, and not human. Doesn't mean she's Adraste, of course, I just think that seems fitting with the overall movement of the narrative.


Has everyone forgotten that Andraste is a big jar of ash?



I like to think that she did, in fact, die. But the Fade is allegedly where your spirit goes when you die (though they haven't really fleshed this out much). I like to think that the very basic structure of Flemeth's story is true, but it was neither spirits nor demons that she dealt with. Instead, she actually communed with Andraste's spirit, who bonded with her (either taking over the body completely or just fusing with her). Abominations only refer to demons, particularly when the demon is in control, so she's not that. And Andraste's soul makes her immortal.

Or something.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#196 Apr 12 2012 at 8:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Samira wrote:
Has everyone forgotten that Andraste is a big jar of ash?

I don't buy into Idiggory's theory at all but the premise of those temple cultist dudes was that Andraste has reincarnated into a dragon and needed to be rid of the ashes to finish her new form.

Granted, they're nutjobs but the idea isn't without its theological merit.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#197 Apr 12 2012 at 8:42 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,841 posts
I'm not convinced it's true, by any means. It's more like I want it to be true, because I think it would be awesome if Templars had been trying to murder Flemeth for years, never knowing she was their prophet.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#198 Apr 12 2012 at 8:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,248 posts
So she's either a jar of ashes or a spirit in search of a dragon bod. Either way, she's not the Witch of the Wilds.

I mean, it's kind of a cool idea and all. I just don't see the lore supporting it. On the other hand she could easily be the last Archdemon reborn, and the lore DOES support that.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#199 Apr 12 2012 at 9:28 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
19,841 posts
You probably shouldn't be assuming we know the truth about Andraste in the first place, though. BioWare has actually done a very good job of seeding good reason for doubt, if you look for it.

For instance, if you take Ohgren to the urn, he'll note about how the mountain seems to be have deep-running lyrium veins, which many fans have speculated (not unjustly) that it could be meant as a significant hint that the healing power of the ashes and presence of the gatekeeper may not be as strong proof of Andraste's divinity as we might imagine. Not proof to the contrary either, but definitely food for thought.

There's also the book you can give Wynne that attempts to make a serious argument that Andraste was not a prophetess, but rather just an extremely powerful Mage. For instance, she's celebrated as gaining the attention of the Maker, who altered the weather to favor her armies. Well, Mages can already create significant storms in small spaces. There's no good reason why a powerful one (particularly if she was working with Lyrium or blood magic) or a group of mages couldn't cause the same effect. It could be that the divine aspect was a way to gain followers.

Furthermore, no Spirit has ever confessed to remembering the Maker, their creation, or the Golden City, afaik. And Corphyreus seems to suggest that the city was black before he ever entered it. Considering they are ageless, and it hasn't actually been that long since the city was allegedly tainted, this is more than a little surprising. The wiki says that Justice will tell you that many demons claim the Maker never existed, that the chant of light is absurd, and that the golden city never existed. He also says that those who believe only do so because of the conception of the Maker they see in mortal dreams. It's worth remembering, imo, that the distinction between spirits and demons is way less significant than mortal minds consider it. A Rage Demon might have good reason to say such things. But a Sloth or Pride Demon? Maybe not.

And take the fact that the Fade is the land of dreams and all spirits/demons embody one human trait. It doesn't seem crazy to think that the world formed first, and that the Fade was created by subconscious effects on magic or something, creating a world that was ever shifting with dreams, and filled with creatures that were both incredibly simple and abstract.

We also now have some very solid proof that Morrigan lied about Flemeth's ritual to the Warden, or was at least deceived herself. The new comic series has introduced a new character, the Witch of the Wilds Yavana, who is one of her daughters. Yavana states that the blood of the dragons is the blood of the world or something (haven't read it, just the wiki), and that the ritual concerning her daughters is actually some kind of "gift". IDK what that's about, but it definitely adds support to the idea that Flemeth is not stealing her daughters' bodies.

As to the theory about Andraste being her, Flemeth definitely seems to have a certain ability with regards to prophecy, though she's often seen arguing with herself about whether or not fate exists. In the books, she appears to Maric something like two decades (or more) before the blight begins, but tells him that it will occur, and hints that Loghain will betray him (which may or may not be being fleshed out in the comics now, because it turns out Maric is probably still alive and left Ferelden voluntarily to fulfill a promise to her). Again, not proof by any means, but there's no reason to assume it's a meaningless connection.

Of course, there's also support to the contrary, primarily Sandal's monologue about "Him coming back some day and everyone will be as they were" or something like that. Though he also often talks about a lady he sees next to his bed, which has been speculated to be Morrigan, Flemeth, Liandra, Andraste, etc.

And there are some other questions. Why are Andraste's ashes capable of healing when chantry idols and amulets don't confer any divine protection at all? Up front that's not surprising, but it kinda is the more you think about it. Why is Morrigan, who is actually someone with a critical mind, and raised by one of the most knowledgeable of people in the world, so dead set against believing the Maker exists? Why is the basis of Leliana's faith something that conflicts so significantly with Chantry doctrine (assuming she hasn't made it up)?

I'm not really arguing for one or the other. I just think that BioWare has very intentionally been sure to add sufficient cause for doubt throughout the game, so that we shouldn't be assuming anything. Even the characters who tell you the tales often mention that they have no clue what actually happened. I'm personally inclined to believe that the truth is a middle ground.

/nerd

[EDIT]

Oh yeah, and there's the huge issue that Dwarves randomly don't find themselves included with the Chantry's story.

Oh, and checking the wiki, Ohgren actually says to Wynne and Leliana that the lyrium is affecting the temple.

I've seriously spent waaaaay too much time on that wiki.

Edited, Apr 12th 2012 11:40pm by idiggory
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#200 Apr 12 2012 at 9:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
And there are some other questions. Why are Andraste's ashes capable of healing when chantry idols and amulets don't confer any divine protection at all? Up front that's not surprising, but it kinda is the more you think about it. Why is Morrigan, who is actually someone with a critical mind, and raised by one of the most knowledgeable of people in the world, so dead set against believing the Maker exists? Why is the basis of Leliana's faith something that conflicts so significantly with Chantry doctrine (assuming she hasn't made it up)?

(A) For the same reason I'd assume a (hypothetical, go with it) piece of the True Cross would be more likely to hold divine powers than a rosary from the Catholic book store. One is an actual holy relic, the other is a collection of beads on a string.
(B) Setting aside anything about critical minds, Morrigan has the best reason in the world to convince herself that the Maker isn't real: She's a bad person. Admitting that there's a higher power would mean she'd have to actually be accountable for her actions. Instead she hides behind a "survival of the fittest" philosophy which allows her to act as amorally as she pleases.
(C) Presumably because she's special in some way. Granted she might be special in the way of Orlaisian lute strings having an unusually high lead content but the basis for many a holy text is that someone is selected to get a special message out of the ordinary.

Edit: all sorts of off-topic but I've managed to Destroy the Circle and Kill the elves this game. I'm really making my way through the world.

Edited, Apr 12th 2012 11:01pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#201 Apr 12 2012 at 10:01 PM Rating: Good
*****
19,841 posts
Jophiel wrote:
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
And there are some other questions. Why are Andraste's ashes capable of healing when chantry idols and amulets don't confer any divine protection at all? Up front that's not surprising, but it kinda is the more you think about it. Why is Morrigan, who is actually someone with a critical mind, and raised by one of the most knowledgeable of people in the world, so dead set against believing the Maker exists? Why is the basis of Leliana's faith something that conflicts so significantly with Chantry doctrine (assuming she hasn't made it up)?

(A) For the same reason I'd assume a (hypothetical, go with it) piece of the True Cross would be more likely to hold divine powers than a rosary from the Catholic book store. One is an actual holy relic, the other is a collection of beads on a string.
(B) Setting aside anything about critical minds, Morrigan has the best reason in the world to convince herself that the Maker isn't real: She's a bad person. Admitting that there's a higher power would mean she'd have to actually be accountable for her actions. Instead she hides behind a "survival of the fittest" philosophy which allows her to act as amorally as she pleases.
(C) Presumably because she's special in some way. Granted she might be special in the way of Orlaisian lute strings having an unusually high lead content but the basis for many a holy text is that someone is selected to get a special message out of the ordinary.


*Just spoilering the whole thing.

But the entire concept of the religion is that the Maker has turned away from the world. It never actually establishes Andraste as a figure that's intrinsically divine, all of her power comes from the fact that the Maker fell in love with her. She was supposed to just be a normal human, though, and she is never once attributed to the cause of a miracle. Why would her ashes have miraculous powers if, not once in her story, she was ever attributed to have any special traits beyond grace?

I'm also highly inclined to reject your reasoning on Morrigan for one significant reason--the Guardian of the Urn lets her pass, judging her worthy of moving forward to the next task of the Guantlet. If he felt that she was as wicked as you say, why would he make no attempt to stop her? Better yet, why would he just accept her decision not to answer any question? Even more interestingly, his question was going to be something about her mother.

Now, there is something to be said for pure gameplay mechanics demanding she be let through. But it definitely doesn't agree with the Guardian's self-avowed purpose. If he was there to judge those worthy of proceeding, and he lets Morrigan through, it has to follow that he judges her worthy of proceeding.

Also, she's critical of all religion. Qunari philosophy does not concern itself with morality at all, but she's still heavily opposed to it.

[EDIT]

There is reason to think Flemeth is an old god, too. Morrigan was taught her ritual by Flemeth, for one.

But also just some other things that seem like nothing at the time, but might actually mean something together.

When Hawke asks her where she learned to become a Dragon, she rebuttles with "Perhaps I am a dragon."

Her daughter, Yavana, has a special affinity for High Dragons, and can easily calm them and communicate with them. She also lives in a sanctuary where dragons go to escape from mankind.

Would definitely make her both immortal and non-human.

Archdemons apparently cause their new body to mutate into the form of a dragon. If they can take on a Humanoid form as well, this might actually be what is happening.

It seems equally possible that she was a reincarnation of an old god, like Morrigan's son, or that she is one of the two remaining Old Gods (God of Night and God of Mystery, both of which seem fitting).

Garahel slew the Archdemon Andoral, god of slaves. Morrigan will tell a male Warden she's in a relationship that there are tales of Garahel's sexual prowess. It could be a reference to him agreeing to a ritual, since it's somewhat out of place.

Creating a child with the Old God's soul was Flemeth's intent from the start. Could be, of course, that she wanted the power. Could also be that she actually wanted to save her kin from the taint.


Edited, Apr 13th 2012 12:28am by idiggory
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 44 All times are in CDT
Elinda, Jophiel, Kavekkk, lolgaxe, Samira, TherealLogros, Xsarus, Anonymous Guests (37)