Forum Settings
       
1 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next »
Reply To Thread

Omnibus GOP Primary ThreadFollow

#1202 Apr 11 2012 at 12:16 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Elinda wrote:
There must be a simple test to see if someone is truly a communist or not.

I know just the man to administer that test.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1203 Apr 11 2012 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,236 posts
Confirmation from his office that he was referring to the Progressive Caucus, as I suspected.

Because Progressive Democrats are totally Communists.

Edited, Apr 11th 2012 2:43pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#1204 Apr 11 2012 at 1:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
So he has a list of guys who belong to a known caucus but he won't name them? Smiley: rolleyes

Someone's furiously backpedaling from his shit-stupid statement.

Edited, Apr 11th 2012 2:10pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1205 Apr 11 2012 at 1:20 PM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,692 posts
cidbahamut wrote:
I thought you threw them in water to see if they float or not.

In communist Russia you throw them in vodka!
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#1206 Apr 11 2012 at 1:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Related to way, way upthread when I commented on how the GOP primary was bad for Romney because it soured people on him before the race really started...
PW wrote:
BuzzFeed looks back at CNN polling and finds Mitt Romney will be the only presidential nominee since 1996 who left the primary season with a negative net approval rate.

The results: Dole +22, Gore +17, Bush +19, Kerry +17, McCain +19, Obama +18 and Romney -12.


Scribbling on my envelope, that would seem to put him 30 points below the average.

Edited, Apr 11th 2012 2:24pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1207 Apr 11 2012 at 3:39 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
31,484 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Related to way, way upthread when I commented on how the GOP primary was bad for Romney because it soured people on him before the race really started...
PW wrote:
BuzzFeed looks back at CNN polling and finds Mitt Romney will be the only presidential nominee since 1996 who left the primary season with a negative net approval rate.

The results: Dole +22, Gore +17, Bush +19, Kerry +17, McCain +19, Obama +18 and Romney -12.


Scribbling on my envelope, that would seem to put him 30 points below the average.


Were those past approval ratings measured at the end of the convention or at some point during the primary season in which the candidate just appeared to be the presumptive winner? I would expect you'd normally find that the latter point will be a low point in terms of popularity for any candidate because it's the point where negatives within his own party are going to be at their highest (the last major opponent was still fighting him and still has supporters who are unhappy he dropped out), and negatives outside the party will be maximized as well (cause they've likely seen little good and a whole lot of bad).

By convention time, the negatives within the party will have disappeared and with a couple months to work his message for the campaign against Obama, presumably he'll have gained some ground with folks outside the party as well. I can't say where Romney stands historically on this, but I think we should measure apples to apples if we're going to attempt to make a comparison at all.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#1208 Apr 11 2012 at 4:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Well, when you find out the answers be sure to let us know. Just because you want to whistle past the graveyard doesn't mean I'm going to carry your tune for you Smiley: smile

Quote:
I would expect you'd normally find that the latter point will be a low point in terms of popularity for any candidate because it's the point where negatives within his own party are going to be at their highest (the last major opponent was still fighting him and still has supporters who are unhappy he dropped out), and negatives outside the party will be maximized as well (cause they've likely seen little good and a whole lot of bad).

I get that you're trying to rationalize this in a way that avoids any unpleasant realities but, um, that would still mean that Romney is 30 points behind everyone else at their lowest point. Just saying "But.. but.. it'll be better!" might work for you but it's not exactly compelling evidence.

And, just because Buzzfeed made it incredibly easy, I actually have your answer... they're all measured when the person became the de facto nominee, prior to the official end of the primary season. So, yes, "apples to apples" Romney is 30 points behind the average. Romney's is technically from about two weeks ago but I assume that's the most recent number they had from the same polling outfit.

Edited, Apr 11th 2012 5:08pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1209 Apr 11 2012 at 5:20 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,189 posts
Jophiel wrote:
So he has a list of guys who belong to a known caucus but he won't name them? Smiley: rolleyes

Someone's furiously backpedaling from his shit-stupid statement.



"I have here in my hand...."

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#1210 Apr 12 2012 at 7:39 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,471 posts
Screenshot

DO NOT TAKE CHECKS
FROM THIS MAN
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1211 Apr 12 2012 at 8:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,236 posts
I think Newt needs to take some personal responsibility and pay his bills.

On that note, John Edwards finally finished paying off his 2008 run.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#1212 Apr 12 2012 at 4:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,929 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Elinda wrote:
There must be a simple test to see if someone is truly a communist or not.

I know just the man to administer that test.


We had another qualified applicant. I think he'll make the list.
____________________________
"India black magic anal sex zionist blow job terrorism child rape bicycle"
Just as Planned.
#1213 Apr 24 2012 at 8:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
*snrk*
PW wrote:
RNC spokeswoman Alexandra Franceschi told The Fernando Espuelas Show that the Republican party's economic platform in 2012 is going to be the same as it was during the Bush years, "just updated."

Speaking of, might be time for a fresh thread soon.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1214 Apr 24 2012 at 8:35 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Jophiel wrote:
*snrk*
PW wrote:
RNC spokeswoman Alexandra Franceschi told The Fernando Espuelas Show that the Republican party's economic platform in 2012 is going to be the same as it was during the Bush years, "just updated."


Smiley: facepalm
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#1215 Apr 24 2012 at 12:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Yeah, 'cause that worked so well for us before...
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#1216 Apr 25 2012 at 7:57 AM Rating: Good
******
43,471 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Speaking of, might be time for a fresh thread soon.
Romney 2012 or Bust title go.

60ish% in the New York Primary, which I guess is good when you're basically the only one running.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1217 Apr 25 2012 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Speaking of, might be time for a fresh thread soon.
Omnibus Romney 2012 or Bust title go.


Fixed for enhanced Jophishness.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#1218 Apr 25 2012 at 8:15 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
All aboard the Omnibus!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1219 Apr 25 2012 at 11:29 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,471 posts
I hear that's the name of the new Transformer they're introducing in the next movie. He's from New York, and is always late to the battles but somehow is vital to them.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1220 May 17 2012 at 11:54 PM Rating: Default
FYI, Ron Paul is going to make any GOP party supporters not only look stupid, but for a period of time, they are going to act strait up embarrassed for supporting the ideals they soot behind. Romney supporters, shame on you. Obama supporters, you must really hate humanity.

A vote for Ron Paul is a vote for Obama... What a ridiculous argument.

A vote for Romney is a vote for Obama....

A vote for Romney is a vote for the same tired old two party system, both are self serving to the same corporate elite.

Paul is the only one that has MORE popularity than Obama, or need I remind you that Romney lost to McCain who lost to Obama!

Let me ask you honestly, do you give a **** about our future? I thought the people in the Asylum were supposed to be some sort of elite intelligent crowd, but you are just a bunch of self serving idiots.

____________________________
96BST 95BLM 88RDM 78MNK 75BRD

FFXI roxorz
#1221 May 18 2012 at 1:17 AM Rating: Good
If Ron Paul is more popular than Obama, why didn't he win any primaries? Oh that's right, he isn't. I will give him credit for having some unique ideas, even some I agree with, but that doesn't make him more popular amongst Republicans, or Americans in general.

And whoever claimed that posters in the Asylum were intelligent? It says "No holds barred" because we're **** to each other without restraint, not because we have highly evolved, intellectual discussions.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#1222 May 18 2012 at 4:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
FYI, Ron Paul is going to make any GOP party supporters not only look stupid, but for a period of time, they are going to act strait up embarrassed for supporting the ideals they soot behind.
How can Ron Paul make anyone look stupid? I suppose he could put them in a funny hat...
Quote:

Romney supporters, shame on you.
For what? Supporting the best Republican candidate of this election cycle that could potentially beat Obama? I hate to tell you this, but quite a bit about the Presedential Election has little to do with policy & in a lot of cases a LOT more to do with charisma. It's just like student council elections: popularity contest.

Quote:
Obama supporters, you must really hate humanity.
Yes, this is why we gave them healthcare reform.

Quote:
A vote for Ron Paul is a vote for Obama... What a ridiculous argument.
Google Ralph Nader, 2000 election.

Quote:
A vote for Romney is a vote for Obama....
They're both, in reality, moderates. Half-true.

Quote:
A vote for Romney is a vote for the same tired old two party system, both are self serving to the same corporate elite.
This is pretty much true.

Quote:
Paul is the only one that has MORE popularity than Obama, or need I remind you that Romney lost to McCain who lost to Obama!
In what world is Ron Paul more popular than Obama? Certainly not the one either of us live in.

Quote:
Let me ask you honestly, do you give a **** about our future?
Yes, & I care about your future, & my (future) children's future, hence why I'll vote Obama.

Quote:
I thought the people in the Asylum were supposed to be some sort of elite intelligent crowd, but you are just a bunch of self serving idiots.


Oh, you.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the **** out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#1223 May 18 2012 at 5:54 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,269 posts
SingBismark wrote:
FYI, Ron Paul is going to make any GOP party supporters not only look stupid, but for a period of time, they are going to act strait up embarrassed for supporting the ideals they soot behind. Romney supporters, shame on you. Obama supporters, you must really hate humanity.

A vote for Ron Paul is a vote for Obama... What a ridiculous argument.

A vote for Romney is a vote for Obama....

A vote for Romney is a vote for the same tired old two party system, both are self serving to the same corporate elite.

Paul is the only one that has MORE popularity than Obama, or need I remind you that Romney lost to McCain who lost to Obama!

Let me ask you honestly, do you give a **** about our future? I thought the people in the Asylum were supposed to be some sort of elite intelligent crowd, but you are just a bunch of self serving idiots.



One thing at a time...

Quote:
FYI, Ron Paul is going to make any GOP party supporters not only look stupid, but for a period of time, they are going to act straight up embarrassed for supporting the ideals they stood behind.


No, he's not. The problem with Ron Paul, although he has some interesting ideas, is both that he's not a viable contender for the Republican nomination now, or in the future, and that he's being over-hyped by the lowest common denominator of internet dwellers. He doesn't have the support of the main base of Republicans because of his views on economic and military issues, and he doesn't have the support of those on the left because of his positions on social issues. Even if he won the nomination, he'd lose as many supporters to Obama as Obama would lose to him.

Quote:
Romney supporters, shame on you


This, I agree with. Romney is nearly as bad a choice as Perry, Bachmann, or Palin would have been, and like them, he's **** terrifying.

Quote:
Obama supporters, you must really hate humanity.


And you're an idiot. I'm no fan of Obama, I think he's been a complete disappointment, and has shown that he doesn't have the balls to do anything useful. However, given that the clear opposition for this election will be Romney, Obama is both a shoe-in, and the logical choice for anyone with any sense of rationality.

Your comment about hating humanity is especially dumb. Sounds like you're not even really thinking or doing any research of your own, but re instead just saying what you're told to. You didn't even bother to make an argument as to why supporters of Obama must hate humanity, you just said it like it was a given. I have to thank you though, I've been waiting forever for someone to make a post like Varus would have made(although at least he could spell...most times..).

Quote:
A vote for Ron Paul is a vote for Obama... What a ridiculous argument.


Context? I don't feel like reading that many pages of thread. If you're talking about the primaries, then yes, it is, because he can't win that. Not even by a longshot. If you're talking about some sort of hypothetical situation where Ron Paul runs as a third-party candidate, then it still is, because he'd be effectively splitting the republican vote, and hence handing the election to Obama on a silver platter.

Quote:
A vote for Romney is a vote for Obama....


No, it's not. See above.

Quote:
A vote for Romney is a vote for the same tired old two party system, both are self serving to the same corporate elite.


This statement is somewhat accurate, I guess. Because there hasn't been a successful third party since the Whigs, there's no changing the system without reforms that would frankly, cause more chaos than it would be worth in the modern world. Yes, they both serve the corporate elite who clearly don't have even a basic understanding of what capitalism is supposed to be, but it's an unfortunate reality of what the world has become since the end of the cold war. The only thing one can do at this point, is just wait for the next shift in the international, and economic situation worldwide.

Quote:
Paul is the only one that has MORE popularity than Obama, or need I remind you that Romney lost to McCain who lost to Obama!


I went looking for a source for your claim, but could find none that weren't on a Ron Paul website. I'll give you this one IF you can show me one valid poll, from a well established group(or whatever you call it) that does polls, proving your point. I'll also note, that in the end, the polls aren't very accurate representations of how the election would go.

Quote:
Let me ask you honestly, do you give a **** about our future?


Yes, but unfortunately giving a **** isn't worth a **** thing when all the politicians who have an actual chance of getting into office are out for themselves and those who gave them the money to get there.

Quote:
I thought the people in the Asylum were supposed to be some sort of elite intelligent crowd, but you're all just a bunch of self-serving idiots.


Actually, they are, even the ones who get **** on for their opinions all the time. It may not seem like it to you though, since you sound like some kid who has absolutely no idea how politics in the 21st century work, or any real knowledge of contemporary political history. Maybe if you acquaint yourself with history, political philosophy, and how the world works in general, you can be at a level where you can put forth a viable argument. But coming here and posting some **** about how much you love Ron Paul, and then acting like you're actually making a valid argument kind of makes your accusations laughable at best.
____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#1224 May 18 2012 at 6:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,189 posts
Uh... Didn't Ron Paul drop out of the race a few days ago?
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#1225 May 18 2012 at 6:34 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,269 posts
Samira wrote:
Uh... Didn't Ron Paul drop out of the race a few days ago?


Just had to look that up, and indeed he did. I've been really busy the last week or so, so I'm a bit behind on the progress of the race. I'm not surprised though.
____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#1226 May 18 2012 at 6:38 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,471 posts
He didn't drop out, he's just "not actively campaigning."
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1227 May 18 2012 at 6:42 AM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,894 posts
Wait, he was still in?
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#1228 May 18 2012 at 6:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
lolronpaul

He didn't officially drop out (few people do; there's big FEC considerations so most just 'suspend' until they get their financial obligations in order) but said he won't actively campaign. Instead, he's trying to grab delegates at the state conventions themselves to potentially have a voice at the national convention.

Anyway, Paul's so popular that he bombed even at the caucuses that were supposed to be his firewall of motivated supporters. Back in January, he was going to employ an Obama 2008 strategy of holding his own in primary elections but sweeping the caucus states with huge margins due to large numbers of enthusiastic supporters. How'd that work out for him?

Edited, May 18th 2012 7:56am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1229 May 18 2012 at 9:31 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,796 posts
Jophiel wrote:
lolronpaul

He didn't officially drop out (few people do; there's big FEC considerations so most just 'suspend' until they get their financial obligations in order) but said he won't actively campaign. Instead, he's trying to grab delegates at the state conventions themselves to potentially have a voice at the national convention.

Anyway, Paul's so popular that he bombed even at the caucuses that were supposed to be his firewall of motivated supporters. Back in January, he was going to employ an Obama 2008 strategy of holding his own in primary elections but sweeping the caucus states with huge margins due to large numbers of enthusiastic supporters. How'd that work out for him?

Edited, May 18th 2012 7:56am by Jophiel


He pulled some crazy **** in the Louisiana caucaus, but that's mainly because we have a primary and a caucus and the delegates are split between them. So after all of the Republicans voted in the primary election, they thought it was over until the presidential election. Paul's supporters, on the other hand, showed up in force for the caucus and he took something like 17 of the 20 caucus delegates.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Midgarsormr realm
Eartha Kitty 30 BRD/12 MNK
#1230 May 18 2012 at 10:03 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Yeah, he's managed to collect delegates in the after-the-fact caucuses but not enough to be significant except as a "Lookit that" story on the political news sites.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1231 May 18 2012 at 11:37 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,471 posts
Ron Paul is going to be this election's scapegoat to explain that he was the only reason why (Nominee To Be Named Later) didn't win.

Edited, May 18th 2012 1:37pm by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#1232 May 18 2012 at 11:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
lolgaxe wrote:
Ron Paul is going to be this election's scapegoat to explain that he was the only reason why Herman Cain didn't win.

____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#1233 May 18 2012 at 3:52 PM Rating: Good
******
21,717 posts
Jophiel wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Ron Paul is going to be this election's scapegoat to explain that he was the only reason why Herman Cain didn't win.



I thought Herman Cain didn't win because he was black.

/sarcasm
____________________________
R.I.P. Jessica M. 5/3/2010
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
gbaji wrote:
You guys keep tossing facts out there like they mean something.


#1234 May 18 2012 at 4:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Nah, his tax plan was just way too complicated for people to understand.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#1235 May 18 2012 at 5:31 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,189 posts
The tax plan that sounded like something on a Denny's menu?

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#1236 May 18 2012 at 5:45 PM Rating: Good
That'd be the one. Smiley: grin
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#1237 Sep 07 2012 at 4:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
5,371 posts
Tacosid wrote:
I blame it on 10 years teacing public school. In the past I could have had it pegged just by typing the forum url.

As always I hope the GOP picks up a supermajority in the house and senate and sends Obama the way of Jimmy Carter.


Yes I did search you.
____________________________
Crosscontinuum Copulation Diety of The Great Enigma
Necro Warning: This post occurred more than thirty days after the prior, and may be a necropost.
1 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 41 All times are in CDT