Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

What Warren said....Follow

#77 Aug 18 2011 at 2:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Funny point:

According to Gbaji, the "Dems are trying to sell the fairy tale that if only we allowed the Bush tax cuts to expire on the wealthiest 2% [...], all our economic problems would be solved". According to Gbaji, we're all just brainwashed little liberal parrots. And, yet, not I nor anyone I know believes that "if only we allowed the Bush tax cuts to expire on the wealthiest 2% [...], all our economic problems would be solved". In fact, every Democrat I know who has an opinion on it agrees that a mix of spending cuts and taxes is the best (and probably only) way out of this.

So I guess the Democrats are trying to sell this story to me but I don't believe it because I'm too brainwashed by the Democrats trying to sell me the story I don't believe. Yeah. Made sense to me, too.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#78 Aug 18 2011 at 2:08 PM Rating: Good
******
49,668 posts
It isn't even about this specific thread or even topic, since fuck knows it's been brought up a million times. It's just about every thread when he's asked for a cite. "I get my opinions from facts." Okay, where are those facts?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#79 Aug 18 2011 at 2:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,369 posts
I find it ironic that for once voting for a republican is more likely to mean more taxes for me than voting for a democrat. Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#80 Aug 18 2011 at 2:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
lolgaxe wrote:
It isn't even about this specific thread or even topic, since fuck knows it's been brought up a million times.

If you don't focus, Gbaji will run off in a thousand different directions, saying "It's not this point! Not this one either! Can't you see the po-- no, not that! Not that point!..."
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#81 Aug 18 2011 at 3:18 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Quote:
But what people like Joph demand is a citation proving my opinion.

Or proving your assertion that "Dems are trying to sell the fairy tale that if only we allowed the Bush tax cuts to expire on the wealthiest 2% (or whatever the number is this week), all our economic problems would be solved".


Changing the word used doesn't change what's going on Joph. What is an assertion in this context? It's what I think they're trying to do. Duh.

I can't "prove" that Joph. I can provide evidence to support it (which I have) and an argument tying that evidence to the assertion/opinion/conclusion/whatever that I've arrived at. How do you decide what's going on around you Joph? You see a dog barking while looking up at a tree. Do you need someone to prove to you that there might be something in the tree? Or do you speculate that "maybe something is up in the tree" and go look?

I'm looking at a pattern of behavior from the Democrats and their surrogates in the media. Based on that I'm drawing some conclusions. Speculative, to be sure. And you're free to argue that there's some other explanation for their actions if you want. But you avoided doing that and instead insisted that I provide a "cite" to prove what I was saying.


I'm sorry, but that's just bizarre. It's like you don't want to come up with an alternative explanation, so you instead embark on the grand plan to demand proof of mine so that you never have to. Can you provide an alternative? Not what they're saying they're doing, but looking at their actions and the political reality and making an educated guess about what they're really trying to do here. Or are you really that gullible?
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#82 Aug 18 2011 at 3:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Quote:
But what people like Joph demand is a citation proving my opinion.

Or proving your assertion that "Dems are trying to sell the fairy tale that if only we allowed the Bush tax cuts to expire on the wealthiest 2% (or whatever the number is this week), all our economic problems would be solved".

What is an assertion in this context? It's what I think they're trying to do. Duh.

Why do you need to claim this is only what you "think" they are trying to do? Why not just cite a single Democrat saying that this is the case? Shit, at least when I say "Republicans don't compromise" or something, I can follow it up with some articles (OMG! Hyper-far-ultra-mega-left news sources!!!) of Republicans actually saying "Fuck no, we won't compromise..." I don't need to write paragraph after paragraph about why this is only my opinion and how dare you ask me for a cite.

You can spin and babble and spew another 1,330-odd words but what you can't do is offer even a single bit of real evidence that this is the case.

But then, you don't get your news from anywhere so it's no surprise that all you have is word-vomit in lieu of some actual information.

Great job calling me "gullible" as you parrot "Dems want this!" talking points and can't provide a single reference Smiley: laugh

Edited, Aug 18th 2011 4:26pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#83 Aug 18 2011 at 3:57 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
Olorinus wrote:
Not everyone with money is a greedy grubber it seems.

Matt Damon wrote:
“It’s criminal that so little is asked of people who are getting so much. I don’t mind paying more. I really don’t mind paying more taxes. I’d rather pay the taxes than cut, you know, Reading is Fundamental or, you know, Head Start, or some of these programs that are really helping kids.”

“Why don’t you just tax the really rich?” he added. “Guys like me.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/celebritology/post/matt-damon-disgusted-by-debt-deal-says-its-criminal-that-wealthy-dont-pay-more-taxes-video/2011/08/03/gIQAtgQurI_blog.html

Matt Damon wrote:
“This is the greatest country in the world - is it that much worse if you pay 6% more in taxes? Give me a break.”

I fucking *love* Matt!
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#84 Aug 18 2011 at 4:29 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I am not usually one to give any credence whatsoever to celebrities, but he sure acts like a decent guy.

Might just be acting (being an actor and all)... but I do love how he has been defending teachers lately.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#85 Aug 18 2011 at 4:32 PM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,518 posts
No, by all accounts he is a decent, real down-to-earth guy; as much as a "normal guy" as a Hollywood superstar can be.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#86 Aug 18 2011 at 4:36 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Why do you need to claim this is only what you "think" they are trying to do?


UM... Because it's what I think they're trying to do? You're not really this dense, are you?

Quote:
Why not just cite a single Democrat saying that this is the case?


You're actually asking this question!?

Um... Because when you're speculating that a political party is attempting to pull one over on the public in order to avoid losing political power in the next election, they usually aren't polite enough to actually say "we're going to make people think this false thing so that we can get reelected".

Maybe you are that dense! Shocking.


Quote:
Shit, at least when I say "Republicans don't compromise" or something, I can follow it up with some articles (OMG! Hyper-far-ultra-mega-left news sources!!!) of Republicans actually saying "Fuck no, we won't compromise..." I don't need to write paragraph after paragraph about why this is only my opinion and how dare you ask me for a cite.



Sigh... But if you then said "Republicans really do want to compromise, but the Tea Party has a strong enough influence over them to force them to say that they wont publicly", no one would demand that you provide a cite for this, right? You get how the first thing is a "fact", while the other is an "opinion" (speculation really)?


Seriously Joph. Stop posting for the sake of trying to prove you're "right" and look at what I'm saying. You're just knee-jerking at this point.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#87 Aug 18 2011 at 4:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
You get how the first thing is a "fact", while the other is an "opinion"

I get how you presented your grand "Democrats are trying to trick everyone into thinking this is true!" as a fact and then had to backpedal over and over again into some lame "That was just an opinion!" defense. Yes, that was obvious.
Quote:
Seriously Joph. Stop posting for the sake of trying to prove you're "right"

I did that over a page ago. I'm posting now for the entertainment of you flailing about, trying to be less wrong.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#88 Aug 18 2011 at 5:55 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
You get how the first thing is a "fact", while the other is an "opinion"

I get how you presented your grand "Democrats are trying to trick everyone into thinking this is true!" as a fact and then had to backpedal over and over again into some lame "That was just an opinion!" defense. Yes, that was obvious.


And what part of that statement made you think it could be proven by a quotation from the Democrats? Could you at least try to engage the ol noggin for a moment here?

Quote:
Quote:
Seriously Joph. Stop posting for the sake of trying to prove you're "right"

I did that over a page ago. I'm posting now for the entertainment of you flailing about, trying to be less wrong.


Lol! Even you don't believe that one. It's amazing how you always manage to start nitpicking some irrelevant part of my posts right about the time you realize you don't have a good counter argument to what I'm saying. But hey! if it makes you feel better about your political choices to believe this, by all means go for it. You're not really fooling anyone though.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#89 Aug 18 2011 at 6:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Even you don't believe that one.

Wow.

Just...


Wow.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#90 Aug 19 2011 at 4:15 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,546 posts
when is the wedding guys?
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#91 Aug 19 2011 at 5:51 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
gbaji wrote:
You're not really fooling anyone though.

This is hysterical.
#92 Aug 19 2011 at 9:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Usually when using an Appeal to Popularity fallacy you want to use an argument that's, you know, popular with the appropriate group.

I guess Gbaji is just a trailblazer in creating new fallacies.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#93 Aug 19 2011 at 10:32 AM Rating: Excellent
He's innovative!
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#94 Aug 19 2011 at 11:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
13,221 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Usually when using an Appeal to Popularity fallacy you want to use an argument that's, you know, popular with the appropriate group.

I guess Gbaji is just a trailblazer in creating new fallacies.
It's the much vaunted 'Appeal to Unpopularity', cherished by histers, anarchists, and niche academia.
____________________________
Just as Planned.
#95 Aug 19 2011 at 11:25 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,049 posts
Fact check on a Daily Show clip I saw this morning. Stewart claimed that letting the Bush tax cuts expire on the wealthiest 2% of Americans would raise 700 billion over 10 years. Republicans argue this is unfair to the rich, especially when about 50% of Americans pay no income tax. He said that the poorest 50% of Americans own 2.5% of all the wealth in the US; and if we took half of their wealth (not income, but everything they own), it would equal the same amount raised (700 billion) as the income tax raise on the most rich. Granted, that would be "immediately," not over 10 years.

Anyone know if that's correct? The math seemed sound, but I don't know if the figures he was using were.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#96 Aug 19 2011 at 12:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Well, there's the problem. Clearly we need to take everything. Smiley: schooled

Also blatantly stolen
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#97 Aug 19 2011 at 12:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
LockeColeMA wrote:
if we took half of their wealth (not income, but everything they own)

Plus, you need to find a guy to buy all those old futons, 14" CRTs and Nascar collectible plates.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#98 Aug 19 2011 at 12:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,369 posts
Sir Xsarus wrote:
Well, there's the problem. Clearly we need to take everything. Smiley: schooled

Also blatantly stolen


But they'll never take our freedom!!

Also blatantly stolen
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#99 Aug 19 2011 at 12:28 PM Rating: Good
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,283 posts
Jophiel wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
if we took half of their wealth (not income, but everything they own)

Plus, you need to find a guy to buy all those old futons, 14" CRTs and Nascar collectible plates.


You say 14" CRT like it's a bad thing.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#100 Aug 19 2011 at 12:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I guess it's not. If you're a hobo.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#101 Aug 19 2011 at 12:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
if we took half of their wealth (not income, but everything they own)

Plus, you need to find a guy to buy all those old futons, 14" CRTs and Nascar collectible plates.


You say 14" CRT like it's a bad thing.

No wonder you can't see anything.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 68 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (68)