To be fair, this is not new. Pelosi made the exact same claim a year or so back.
It was just as ridiculous then, of course.
Didn't Bush send everyone $200 checks as a stimulus saying that now people would spend $200 and that would generate a greater amount of economic activity?
Sure, twice I think! With a nod and a wink. Conservatives know that direct payments like that don't actually stimulate the economy much (at all?). Only about 20% of the money ends out being spent buying things, with the other 80% spent paying down debt (we had this discussion before I'm sure!). We know this and we're ok with doing it because we know that paying down of debt is actually a better use of the money when compared to direct consumption spending.
Liberals think the opposite, so we let them think we're going along with their stupid economic ideas just to placate them. Works most of the time too!
If this is the case, how is it different to give someone $25 worth of "money" to be spent on food? Same principle, different scale. In fact, it avoids the primary criticism of the Bush plan which was that people are likely to squirrel away the $200 in tough times rather than spend it but food vouchers aren't useful in a bank account or coffee can.
Yeah. That wasn't so much of a criticism as a statement of fact. You liberals are such tools sometimes! Edited, Aug 16th 2011 7:17pm by gbaji