Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Toys for TatsFollow

#1 Dec 07 2012 at 7:10 PM Rating: Excellent
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
Every year, a tattoo shop here partners up with a bunch of local businesses and the Marines to collect toys in exchange for a mystery envelope which at a minimum contains a $10 gift certificate for their shop. The amounts can vary in denomination from $25, $50, $100 and there's one 'all you can sit.' The all you can sit is done by the shop owner and he will basically tattoo you until you get up. I think the longest someone has gone is 13 hours or something. My brothers fiance got that a few years ago and probably saved herself $300-400 on a big piece on her upper arm. The owner actually does really good work and is one of two shops I would consider here in town for getting a tattoo (there are a lot, A LOT of **** shops in this area).

I always wanted to get a tattoo since before I turned 18 and nothing ever clicked, or seemed worth getting as a permanent defacement of my skin. Earlier this year I turned 30 and decided it was finally time. I got one about a week after my birthday and my second one in October. They both turned out really well. I was lucky enough to get a $50 gift certificate earlier tonight when I dropped in and now I need to decide on something to get before 06/01/2013 since they expire then.

I've been thinking of getting a sleeve of literary phrases in different colors all up and around my arm. My first two are in the same spot on my inner forearm, one on each arm, about an inch below the crook of my elbow. Easy to cover up for work if necessary since I'm a public worker.

Any ideas for phrases or other tattoo ideas? Here are pictures of my first two.

Screenshot

Screenshot
#2 Dec 07 2012 at 7:12 PM Rating: Decent
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
Slaughterhouse 5 and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy if not obvious. Two of my favorite books.
#3 Dec 07 2012 at 7:13 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,240 posts
Quote:
Every inch a king.


Taken from here.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#4 Dec 07 2012 at 11:23 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,309 posts
"Don't Panic" would be perfect. Make sure it is done in large, friendly letters.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#5 Dec 08 2012 at 12:07 AM Rating: Decent
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
catwho wrote:
"Don't Panic" would be perfect. Make sure it is done in large, friendly letters.


Those are pictures of my tattoo's.
#6 Dec 08 2012 at 4:59 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
******
27,187 posts
I've been wanting this photo along with the phrase "I have my fears so they don't have me" by Peter Gabriel tattood somewhere on me for a while, I haven't been able to save up the money for it to be done well though.


Oh and that picture is very Not Safe For Kao.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#7 Dec 08 2012 at 5:53 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,681 posts
Paskil wrote:
catwho wrote:
"Don't Panic" would be perfect. Make sure it is done in large, friendly letters.


Those are pictures of my tattoo's.
I didn't think it was possible, but you may be a pastier white than I am.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#8 Dec 08 2012 at 8:27 AM Rating: Good
"Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder."

or

"I understand that absinthe makes the tart grow fonder."
-Ernest Dowson

or

“We’re All Mad Here”



Edited, Dec 8th 2012 8:31am by Sandinmygum
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | **** | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
#9 Dec 08 2012 at 11:46 AM Rating: Decent
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Paskil wrote:
catwho wrote:
"Don't Panic" would be perfect. Make sure it is done in large, friendly letters.


Those are pictures of my tattoo's.
I didn't think it was possible, but you may be a pastier white than I am.


Wisconsin isn't quite Canadia, but it's close. I'll actually probably be getting more sun next year since I didn't really do anything outdoors this year. I've been getting in shape and I plan on using a week of my vacation next summer up north by Lake Superior just sitting on my **** on a chair outside by a lake. Granted, I'll probably just be playing my Vita, but I'll get sun while I do so.
#10 Dec 08 2012 at 1:26 PM Rating: Good
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,564 posts

Times New Roman for the "So it goes"? Well done.
____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#11 Dec 08 2012 at 3:40 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,414 posts
A bit morbid, but if I were doing something similar, I'd go with "I can taste key lime pie.". But it may not be the type of literature you're looking for.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#12 Dec 08 2012 at 6:32 PM Rating: Good
Heh, you read Erfworld too Pold? Awesome series.

I'd recommend the Litany Against Fear, or at least the first line:

Frank Herbert in Dune wrote:
I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist anus.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129

#13 Dec 09 2012 at 4:45 AM Rating: Good
Cervixhouse-Five
******
30,642 posts
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
[...]
or

“They ALL float down here.”


Sorry, Sandy. I couldn't resist. That's Pennywise from "It," if you don't recognize it.

Terry Pratchett, Small Gods wrote:
Gravity is a habit that is hard to shake off.


Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards! wrote:
Thunder rolled. ... It rolled a six.


Terry Pratchett, Hogather wrote:
Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.


Terry Pratchett, Hogfather wrote:
The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head.


I'm in a Terry Pratchett mood tonight...
#14 Dec 09 2012 at 6:00 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,187 posts
Terry Pratchett Smiley: inlove
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#15 Dec 09 2012 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
Belkira wrote:
Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards! wrote:
Thunder rolled. ... It rolled a six.

Smiley: lol
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
#16 Dec 10 2012 at 5:41 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,414 posts
I read what is quite possibly my new favorite quote from a book ever night before last. Not sure it's appropriate for a tat, since it's kinda strange without context, but here it is anyway.

"In the name of the Pizza Lord! CHARGE!"

It's from Summer Knight, book four of the Dresden Files. It's said by what can only be described as a small fairy leading a swarm of pixies armed with box-cutters against one of the queens of the Seelie. In case you're wondering, Dresden is the Pizza Lord.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#17 Dec 10 2012 at 6:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,187 posts
FOR PONY!
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#18 Dec 10 2012 at 6:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,681 posts
"This is my Cutie Mark"
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#19 Dec 10 2012 at 7:32 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,552 posts
"Be excellent to each other...Party on dude."

Bill S Preston, esq and Ted "Theodore" Logan
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#20 Dec 10 2012 at 8:48 AM Rating: Good
******
43,650 posts
Professor stupidmonkey wrote:
"Be excellent to each other...Party on dude."

Bill S Preston, esq and Ted "Theodore" Logan Abraham Lincoln
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#21 Dec 10 2012 at 8:49 AM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,237 posts
I always enjoyed the quote in Catch-22 about Yossarian:
Quote:
He had decided to live forever or die in the attempt [...]
____________________________
Banh
#22 Dec 10 2012 at 8:51 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,830 posts
Paskil wrote:
I'll actually probably be getting more sun next year since I didn't really do anything outdoors this year. I've been getting in shape and I plan on using a week of my vacation next summer up north by Lake Superior just sitting on my **** on a chair outside by a lake. Granted, I'll probably just be playing my Vita, but I'll get sun while I do so.
My dad lives up in Northern WI near Lake Superior. It's not really a sun-bathing climate even in summer.

I'd go with a picture versus just words this time around.

I'm thinking about getting another tattoo...on my foot. Maybe a crow or maybe the geology symbol of two crossed rock-hammers, or maybe just some type of family thing.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#23 Dec 10 2012 at 8:52 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,830 posts
Spoonless wrote:
Yossarian:
That's a name I've not seen about these parts in a very long time.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#24 Dec 10 2012 at 12:32 PM Rating: Decent
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
Elinda wrote:
Paskil wrote:
I'll actually probably be getting more sun next year since I didn't really do anything outdoors this year. I've been getting in shape and I plan on using a week of my vacation next summer up north by Lake Superior just sitting on my **** on a chair outside by a lake. Granted, I'll probably just be playing my Vita, but I'll get sun while I do so.
My dad lives up in Northern WI near Lake Superior. It's not really a sun-bathing climate even in summer.

I'd go with a picture versus just words this time around.

I'm thinking about getting another tattoo...on my foot. Maybe a crow or maybe the geology symbol of two crossed rock-hammers, or maybe just some type of family thing.


I was thinking about jumping straight to The Dark Tower. Since the Gunslinger's Creed is too long, I was thinking of picking out the three choice sentences: "I aim with my hand. I shoot with my mind. I kill with my heart." From there, I think I'm defintely open for ideas, but those books (Hitchhiker, Dark Tower, Slaughterhouse) are probably the most influential fiction in my life to date. There are a lot of other books I've read, but those three in particular stand out as books I can always go back and read again and again and while not feeling like the first time I read them, still enjoy them immensely.

Jumping to your picture idea, I was rolling around three of my favorite parts in the Hitchhikers... books. The first would be a bowl of petunias and a whale. I've seen some pretty good representations online already including a truly awesome one where a person has the whale on one inner forearm and the petunias on the other.

Seriously, one of my favorite tattoo's I've seen to date..

I was also thinking of getting the movie version of Marvin the paranoid android. Bonus is the fact that he's voiced by the deliciously @#%^able Alan Rickman. My third choice would be a Chesterfield Sofa from I think Life, the Universe, and Everything. If you don't get the last example, I'm not explaining.

Edited, Dec 10th 2012 12:33pm by Paskil
#25 Dec 10 2012 at 1:38 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,240 posts
Paskil wrote:
My third choice would be a Chesterfield Sofa from I think Life, the Universe, and Everything. If you don't get the last example, I'm not explaining.


No good, people won't be able to see it unless they are looking out of the corner of their eye.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#26 Dec 10 2012 at 2:16 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,237 posts
Paskil wrote:
I was thinking about jumping straight to The Dark Tower. Since the Gunslinger's Creed is too long, I was thinking of picking out the three choice sentences: "I aim with my hand. I shoot with my mind. I kill with my heart." From there, I think I'm defintely open for ideas, but those books (Hitchhiker, Dark Tower, Slaughterhouse) are probably the most influential fiction in my life to date. There are a lot of other books I've read, but those three in particular stand out as books I can always go back and read again and again and while not feeling like the first time I read them, still enjoy them immensely.
For the Dark Tower, I might get something like the Eld sigul, with "stand and be true" underneath it or along the curve or some ****
____________________________
Banh
#27 Dec 10 2012 at 5:17 PM Rating: Good
Spoonless wrote:
Paskil wrote:
I was thinking about jumping straight to The Dark Tower. Since the Gunslinger's Creed is too long, I was thinking of picking out the three choice sentences: "I aim with my hand. I shoot with my mind. I kill with my heart." From there, I think I'm defintely open for ideas, but those books (Hitchhiker, Dark Tower, Slaughterhouse) are probably the most influential fiction in my life to date. There are a lot of other books I've read, but those three in particular stand out as books I can always go back and read again and again and while not feeling like the first time I read them, still enjoy them immensely.
For the Dark Tower, I might get something like the Eld sigul, with "stand and be true" underneath it or along the curve or some sh*t.


"Remember the face of your father"?
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist anus.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129

#28 Jan 04 2013 at 9:11 PM Rating: Good
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
Here it is. Just got it tonight after work. Eye of the Crimson King. From Stephen King's Dark Tower universe.

Screenshot
#29 Jan 04 2013 at 9:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,552 posts
Hmm, did they not shave the area they were going to tattoo?
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#30 Jan 04 2013 at 9:50 PM Rating: Decent
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
Nope. The guy that did this (has done all three and went based on many recommendations) has owned the shop for more than 10 years and has been tattooing for almost 20. I asked him before I got my first and he said he could if I wanted, but it wasn't necessary. My first two look phenomenal and this one looks pretty **** good so far as well. So long as I take care of it properly, I'll be happy.
#31 Jan 04 2013 at 11:19 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,552 posts
Interesting. I think most of mine have been shaved, but, the first was over 20 years ago, and I honestly don't remember. The more recent were all shaved, though.

EDIT: Honestly

Edited, Jan 4th 2013 9:19pm by stupidmonkey
____________________________
Dandruffshampoo wrote:
Curses, beaten by Professor stupidopo-opo.
Annabella, Goblin in Disguise wrote:
Stupidmonkey is more organized than a bag of raccoons.
#32 Jan 05 2013 at 2:54 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,187 posts
Maybe it has to do with the size of the piece and/or how hairy you are?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#33 Jan 05 2013 at 11:26 AM Rating: Good
I've never thought of getting a movie quote tat... if I did it would either be a line from Clueless, Mean Girls, or Serenity (not necessarily in that order).
____________________________
Things I sometimes play...

"What do you want to be when you grow up?"
"I want to be a unicorn!"
"Awww, why's that?"........
"So I can stab people with my face."
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 34 All times are in CDT
Altair, Bijou, Anonymous Guests (32)