Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

ESOFollow

#352 Apr 05 2014 at 1:19 PM Rating: Excellent
I got both of my first two toons off of the starter areas. Now I cannot decide to try a mage, play my nightblade again or keep going with my DK...

I should probably stick to something eventually right?
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#353 Apr 05 2014 at 1:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,954 posts
People aren't pleased about the stupid pre-authorization thing.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#354 Apr 05 2014 at 3:23 PM Rating: Excellent
If you only have $12 dollars in your account maybe buying day 1 expensive video games is not really your best financial choice...

In other news I decided to play my Bosmer NB again and crafted her full armor. I really like the crafting so far. Not being handed a full set of gear made me motivated to wander around and collect stuff and I found quests I would never have found otherwise.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#355 Apr 05 2014 at 3:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Master Shojindo wrote:
If you only have $12 dollars in your account maybe buying day 1 expensive video games is not really your best financial choice...
Maybe they preordered it a month or so ago, before financial woes hit.
____________________________
Banh
#356 Apr 05 2014 at 3:41 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,954 posts
Isn't the game in early access? So that means they preordered. Might not have paid now.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#357 Apr 05 2014 at 3:59 PM Rating: Excellent
Spoonless wrote:
Master Shojindo wrote:
If you only have $12 dollars in your account maybe buying day 1 expensive video games is not really your best financial choice...
Maybe they preordered it a month or so ago, before financial woes hit.


That could happen. I'm not trying to be a Richard here, I think pre charging the full amount is totally weird/shady. But I also think that you should not be buying day 1 games if you are living on the edge of your finances in general.

idiggory the Fussy wrote:
Isn't the game in early access? So that means they preordered. Might not have paid now.


It's no longer early access after the 4th, it's live. Also I think they extended the grace period for activating your subscription for preorders.

Honestly I don't want to become this games fanboi. I'll most likely play it a month or so like all new MMO's I play. But so far it's been really enjoyable. Surprisingly so after so much bad press. For some reason when I see classic stuff like a dwemer spider pet or a ghostly revisit to a moth priest elder scroll it gives me some weird sense of nostalgia. Even though It was only a few months since my last foray into Skyrim.

/shrug
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#358 Apr 05 2014 at 7:25 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,028 posts
Master Shojindo wrote:

Also the AD starter zone has tons of butterflies. And you can totally catch them ;)

I came back here to say just that. Rolled a mage and took him out and about. Found two chests, a bunch of nirnroot, and something called "The Lady" that I interacted with but have no idea what it did. Maybe tomorrow I'll log in and my guy will be bleary-eyed with a crying baby on his shoulder.

Anyway, yeah I found the butterflies. I'm sad though that they give me bug parts instead of pretty wings. And thanks to both of you, now I have to log out of the mage and roll a DK. I want to thank you so much for putting that into my head. Oh well, that's only four alts. Not bad really, for me. I mean, it's my second day already . . .

____________________________
One of my opinions is worth three of your facts.

#359 Apr 05 2014 at 9:16 PM Rating: Excellent
cynyck wrote:
Master Shojindo wrote:

Also the AD starter zone has tons of butterflies. And you can totally catch them ;)

I came back here to say just that. Rolled a mage and took him out and about. Found two chests, a bunch of nirnroot, and something called "The Lady" that I interacted with but have no idea what it did. Maybe tomorrow I'll log in and my guy will be bleary-eyed with a crying baby on his shoulder.

Anyway, yeah I found the butterflies. I'm sad though that they give me bug parts instead of pretty wings. And thanks to both of you, now I have to log out of the mage and roll a DK. I want to thank you so much for putting that into my head. Oh well, that's only four alts. Not bad really, for me. I mean, it's my second day already . . .



Smiley: laugh

Yeah DK's are pretty ****. A lot of ways you can go with them.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#360 Apr 06 2014 at 1:52 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Master Shojindo wrote:
That could happen. I'm not trying to be a Richard here, I think pre charging the full amount is totally weird/shady. But I also think that you should not be buying day 1 games if you are living on the edge of your finances in general.

Not such a big deal for the 16 year old living with his parents and paying for the game with their allowance or something.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#361 Apr 06 2014 at 11:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Master Shojindo wrote:
If you only have $12 dollars in your account maybe buying day 1 expensive video games is not really your best financial choice...


What difference does that make? Every single MMO I have played that asked me to provide CC or payment information prior to joining has charged me 1-3 dollars to verify the CC. In fact I think pretty much every CC verification I have ever done gaming or otherwise has only charged a few bucks. I think the most was a ~$4 on Paypal when I set it up to connect to my CC.

The trouble is, if I have 12 bucks in my account because I am paid next wednesday, and I fill this out on a Friday, I get dinged for an NSF charge if I don't have over limit allowance (which typically costs extra on an account). So now I get a nice $20 (for me, varies depending on your banks rates) charge that doesn't get reimbursed because for whatever reason Zeni/Bethesda decided to do a full charge verification instead of the $1 charge pretty much every other game/system does.

Sources:
FFXI, WOW, Aion, SWTOR, LOTR, EVE, PayPal, Ebay, Rift, and another half dozen games I signed up for but left after the free trial because they were **** and I can't be assed to recall every **** title ive put money into that collects dust as fragments of data on my hard drive.

____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#362 Apr 06 2014 at 12:01 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,954 posts
I don't understand why they're forcing you to set up a sub before you can access the trial period in the first place.

Or, rather, I do. It's just a sketchy business practice.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#363 Apr 06 2014 at 12:48 PM Rating: Good
I validate your feelings, and will swallow my shame spiral.

Also here is me playing a flute:

Screenshot


And creeping on a lute playing Alicia Keys:

Screenshot


____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#364 Apr 06 2014 at 1:55 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,059 posts
Nice horns.
#365 Apr 06 2014 at 2:01 PM Rating: Good
teacake wrote:
Nice horns.


I think there is a joke there somewhere. Smiley: nod


Edited, Apr 6th 2014 1:03pm by Shojindo
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#366 Apr 06 2014 at 6:40 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,470 posts
idiggory the Fussy wrote:
I don't understand why they're forcing you to set up a sub before you can access the trial period in the first place.

Or, rather, I do. It's just a sketchy business practice.


Most MMOs online services do that. It's nothing new.
#367 Apr 06 2014 at 6:45 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,954 posts
I know it's not something new to online services in general, but it IS something that's atypical of MMOs.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#368 Apr 06 2014 at 7:06 PM Rating: Good
idiggory the Fussy wrote:
I know it's not something new to online services in general, but it IS something that's atypical of MMOs.


It's totally weird and it was a heated topic today in zone chat. I got no dog in this fight, i just play video games. Hopefully they don't continue to make such bad PR choices.

In other news man leveling is slow. Getting to level 10 on my NB was like a big thing, still having fun though. :)
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#369 Apr 06 2014 at 7:14 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,108 posts
What have you guys been seeing as far as healing builds go? Templar with resto staff?
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#370 Apr 06 2014 at 7:16 PM Rating: Good
Demea wrote:
What have you guys been seeing as far as healing builds go? Templar with resto staff?


I've been playing mostly solo but a person whispered me about how sweet morphed siphoning was on NB. Seems to work great solo. YMMV in groups though.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#371 Apr 07 2014 at 9:34 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,059 posts
Templar is the obvious choice for a healer because of the skill line, but I'm seeing a lot of discussions that are moving away from that - it's always going to be a solid choice, but the other classes have a lot to offer as well. Earthen heart line for DK's, siphoning line for nightblades... I'm sure something for the sorcerer... everyone's got some support capabilities to customize your healer with. You can only have five skills on your bar at a time, and the resto staff will take care of most of your healing skill needs, so you've got a lot of freedom with class choice assuming you're using the staff. If you don't want to use the staff, then yeah, templar is it.

I haven't tried healing yet despite having played a healer for a long time elsewhere. It's going to be very different in this game, particularly with the addon API decisions they've made - you won't be able to have your interface tell you when your HoT or buff on an ally has expired. You haven't got targeted heals (they're all smart heals or AOE's), and because resource management is very different here, you won't be able to spam spells period, so you can't have a hundred percent uptime on healing. People have to get used to dodging, blocking, and getting out of the bad, and not expect to be able to ignore their health bar and assume you're taking care of it. Healers will also have to get used to healing not being the only thing they do, and have more awareness of the overall fight and how they can contribute to it besides keeping health bars up. I think it'll be a lot of fun, but frankly, I think it'll be a pain in the bum until the population gets educated enough for pugs not to be all OMG HEALZ U SUX Y U NO SAV ME. I'm waiting until the learning curve has a chance to do its thing a bit. Smiley: wink
#372 Apr 07 2014 at 9:36 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,954 posts
Healing in this game was reminding me of healing in GW2, and I did not like that at all. I really, REALLY hope it doesn't turn out like that.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#373 Apr 07 2014 at 10:31 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Someone on Reddit made a thread asking how ESO is. Responses are not positive.

Here's the top post in that thread for those who can't be bothered to click a link, it's spoilered because it's Gbaji sized.
Quote:
The game is interesting, but is drowning in bugs. There's also quite a lot of inconsistency with story, NPC dialogue, and events that the player takes place in. To give a little insight as to why. Before the last 3 beta events, ESO placed you in a starting zone like any other MMORPG. This depended on your faction choice. Stros M'kai, Bleakrock, etc.

You would follow through the quests there and eventually end up in the mainland, where the actual game took place. About a few weeks before the game released, they completely scrapped this idea and made the player START in the main land, by passing the starter zones completely. Of course, this broke all the dialogue and new dialogue had to be written and recorded in less than 2 weeks before the full release.

By the time the game released, the Prophet (Voiced by Michael Gambon), had some of his dialogue changed to reflect the new decision to allow the player the ability to optionally return to the starting zone rather than start there. Unfortunately, he was given a new voice actor instead of Michael Gambon and sounds completely awkward and out of place. After his initial dialogue explaining your return to tamriel with the new actor, he goes back to Michael Gambon. It reeks of a shoddy job, but it doesn't get better until after you've progressed past all the starting areas.

If the player adventures into how they were saved, they'll meet a new NPC that was added a week before release. This NPC helps you get back to the original starting zones. If you return to the starting zones; however.. The player will find out that the NPC dialogues and quests have not be fixed. The result is the player is in a "Time Bubble" where NPCs recognize the player as being saved as if the Starting zones were still mandatory. Dialogue and quests are performed with the player being told their origin story is completely wrong from how it truly happened, leaving the player feeling as if they aren't part of the world.

Should you choose to never return to the starting zones at all (And miss Skyshards, a form of permanent character advacement), you still get dialogue proclaiming yourself as a savior to the starting zones you have never even visited.

The dialogue is a total mess in ESO, and for story-driven players like myself you'll find yourself sick to your stomach each time you hear a NPC proclaim you a hero for something you've never even done yet.

But let's bullet point some of the problems.

- Dungeons aren't instanced and are heavily camped by bots and players. You can walk through the entire dungeon never fighting a single enemy. In fact, the vast majority of dungeons are this way. Most times you'll wait with at least 10+ other people in hopes of damaging the boss enough to get loot, or to update your quest progress. EDIT: This only applies to Public Dungeons

- Some quests are beyond bugged, requiring you to logout to get another "Phase" area. All you can do is hope you get a new server area that isn't bugged.

- The FOV is locked at a sickeningly low amount that even I get nauseated and I have never ever gotten nauseated in a First-person game in my entire life.

- Story and Dialogue events are completely inconsistent with actual events taking place.

- Bank space and inventory management are completely and utterly a nightmare. There's more items than there is room and even the most stringent of players will find themselves discarding the most precious of items to make room for what is needed.

- Deleting your character will remove all rewards and pre-order bonuses like treasure maps and pets. (They are in the process of fixing this, I understand).

- Bugs will cause your bank to reset any upgrades you've added to it and you can sometimes lose all your items without warning. You can read more about this bug in the subreddit.

- You will constantly fall through the world, or get stuck in permanent loading screens. For instance, logging out in Cyrodiil (An open World PvP area) can prevent you from logging in again if the area is full. The only way is to contact a GM to have yourself moved.

- As with all faction based games, one faction dominates the PvP portion of the game. This may even out later since race is locked to faction for people who did not pre-order, but for now it's pretty obvious the game is unbalanced in that regard.

- Upgrading armor "tiers" is completely RNG. You get stones for which to change your gear's tier color. "White > Green > Blue > Purple > Orange". If you use only one stone, your chance to upgrade is abyssmal. It's 5% per orange stone, meaning you'd need 20 stones to 100% upgrade an item. What happens if you fail? the item is destroyed. That's something I'd expect from a F2P game, honestly. The great thing about it is you can upgrade any item to legendary quality (the highest quality) so if you're rich, or lucky, or persistent, you can upgrade your gear as you see fit.

- To be honest, I wouldn't recommend ESO until after they make changes. Sure, the game has its moments. The fact you can just do whatever you want without chain quests dragging you from continent to continent is pretty nice, and what quests there are have some interesting bits to them, but unless they fix the dialogue problems, the bugs with banking, the inventory game, and the broken quests and events, then I would wait on ESO. If you do choose to play ESO, you will find that the later parts of the game the the dialogue between NPCs and the player, etc are more consistent. You'll also find a ton of easter eggs and delightful things to hunt down. Even becoming a werewolf or Vampire is something fun and exciting to do and completely changes the way you view your character. Also, you can find powerful motifs that let you craft some really cool looking armor. Of course, the ability to upgrade armor is a pain in the ****..
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#374 Apr 07 2014 at 11:08 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,059 posts
idiggory the Fussy wrote:
Healing in this game was reminding me of healing in GW2, and I did not like that at all. I really, REALLY hope it doesn't turn out like that.


I've played both games and although I haven't healed in ESO yet, I don't see them as the same at all. GW2 really didn't have proper healing, or a healer role. ESO hasn't got traditional heal-spam whack-a-mole and it hasn't got a lot of complicated healing mechanics, so it may fall short of what some healers would hope for, but it's still healing done by healers. The trinity works a bit differently, but it's still very much there and I get the sense it's quite necessary for success on the harder content.

And Aeth, they hate everything at r/games. Smiley: nod There are some people who are determined to hate ESO, as there always are with any new title. Some of them have actually played it and have valid points. Some of them are just mouth-frothing fanboys of some other game and caught up in that weird competitive MMO thing where if you love your game it means you have to hate all others. Some are just complainers because they're grouchy and need a nice shot of bourbon.

Half the fun of a new launch is watching the passion with which people will either attack or defend it. Personally, I like ESO a lot, at the moment, and I'll read forums and discuss it the way I'll discuss pretty much anything during business hours to avoid, you know, doing my actual job, but it's not like I have stock in the company.
#375 Apr 07 2014 at 11:22 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
teacake wrote:
And Aeth, they hate everything at r/games. Smiley: nod There are some people who are determined to hate ESO, as there always are with any new title. Some of them have actually played it and have valid points. Some of them are just mouth-frothing fanboys of some other game and caught up in that weird competitive MMO thing where if you love your game it means you have to hate all others. Some are just complainers because they're grouchy and need a nice shot of bourbon.
It's almost like MMO's are a religion and yours being right means everyone else's has to be wrong.

That said, ESO does make the impression on me that it's been released too soon. I think they would've been better off waiting a month or two to iron out as many bugs as possible and use the time to build up some hype for the game. Right now there's still plenty of bugs and the myriad of bugs from the beta are still fresh in everyone's mind.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#376 Apr 07 2014 at 11:32 AM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,517 posts
Quote:
It's almost like MMO's are a religion and yours being right means everyone else's has to be wrong.


That's actually not far from the truth. MMOs need a large subscriber base to remain viable. Anyone who is playing an MMO that isn't your pet pony is a lost customer. So it's better to denigrate and debase new games while singing the praises of your own older game.

Personally, though, I'm hoping that ESO will clean out some of the jerks from XIV. Smiley: lol
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#377 Apr 07 2014 at 11:37 AM Rating: Good
The /r is pretty bang on with my experience at the last Beta, I am not surprised at all that the numerous bugs have continues into the release version, despite all the fanboys claiming that the beta wasn't the release version and the bugs would be fixed!.

When a game is unplayable in the sense this is, it takes someone who is looking hard for the game to be good to find it good. The fact that so many quests are bugged, the basic quality of life things are bugged, and that the world hasn't been stitched up ie. falling through floors and doors is still persistent pretty much cements my thoughts at the end of the beta FF14 v1.0 all over again.

FTP by Christmas.





Edited, Apr 7th 2014 1:42pm by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#378 Apr 07 2014 at 11:42 AM Rating: Good
That whole "skipping the intro sequence but not registering it with the NPC's dialogue" thing has singlehandedly killed any interest I had in this game.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129


Join us in the =4 subreddit!
#379 Apr 07 2014 at 11:50 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,954 posts
I don't get why they'd remove it. I mean, sure, it probably wasn't the strongest narrative sequence possible. But it wasn't so bad that it HAD to be removed, at least not with this alternative.

When it makes it to the final beta builds... you launch with it.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#380 Apr 07 2014 at 11:50 AM Rating: Decent
IDrownFish of the Seven Seas wrote:
That whole "skipping the intro sequence but not registering it with the NPC's dialogue" thing has singlehandedly killed any interest I had in this game.


This was an issue raised by many many people on the final beta weekend when they first added in the change to this new beginning. Unless you knew about the initial starter zones there is also nothing that says hey go check out this place. I thought it hilarious that I was getting quests from people from who for all intents and purposes should have still been stuck on an island that I didn't save them from.

I still don't understand why they changed it. I know the lead up to it was because people were saying the opening was to linear and didn't give enough freedom to you as an individual, but the opening was more about learning the game, taking on several different quest types to learn the varieties, fetch this, kill that, talk to these people, etc.

For me it was a minor issue though, nothing compared to being forced to continually relog again and again in order to complete some quests, falling through the world, many items/objects would become inoperable. **** even NPC's would bug out and get stuck in dialogue loops.

The whole game on the last beta weekend seemed mickey mouse.

That being said when you could play and do stuff (like just running around killing **** for example) it was enjoyable, I really like the Night Blade class and had fun in combat, but the glaring unplayable nature of the vast majority of content really **** things up imo.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#381 Apr 07 2014 at 11:51 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,241 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
teacake wrote:
And Aeth, they hate everything at r/games. Smiley: nod There are some people who are determined to hate ESO, as there always are with any new title. Some of them have actually played it and have valid points. Some of them are just mouth-frothing fanboys of some other game and caught up in that weird competitive MMO thing where if you love your game it means you have to hate all others. Some are just complainers because they're grouchy and need a nice shot of bourbon.
It's almost like MMO's are a religion and yours being right means everyone else's has to be wrong.

I've not ever seen teacake say anything about any other game.

I've been there though. When Vanguard was released, I loved it. It still had 'issues' at release i guess but mostly it just took a faster than average machine to run smoothly and some of the anticipated features were't offered up at release. But it was panned by most everyone for it's bugs and lag throughout beta and right into an early release. Neither of these things bothered me at all when I played - so yeah, I didn't get all the negative publicity.

ESO on the other hand, I never got to look good on my machine. Still my old Warhammer Guild is playing and seem to be having fun.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#382 Apr 07 2014 at 11:52 AM Rating: Good
The game is down for maint... I started reading the class forums and now I totally want to reroll again. Although honestly the way I am playing my NB archer is mostly right. The stuff I just kinda figured out organically as working is mostly how everyone plays them.

I wasted a few points with experimenting though. I just kinda wish we got the weapon swap at 10 so I could play around more with stabbing stuff when I get bored with shooting it.

Oh and speaking of MMO religious wars I remember when I tried WoW out and posted some screen shots on my FFXI forums. I was immediately banished as a heretic and roundly condemned for spreading information on how fun a different game might be. Was kinda hard on my feelers because I loved that LS. But I understood the fear and we later got over it.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#383 Apr 07 2014 at 12:02 PM Rating: Default
Master Shojindo wrote:

Oh and speaking of MMO religious wars I remember when I tried WoW out and posted some screen shots on my FFXI forums. I was immediately banished as a heretic and roundly condemned for spreading information on how fun a different game might be. Was kinda hard on my feelers because I loved that LS. But I understood the fear and we later got over it.


Thats only because a lot FFXI players posting here mostly had their heads stuck up their asses. Thankfully through tireless effort in cleaning up the FFXI forums I managed to troll enough of them out of this community and over to whatever elitist cesspool they call home now (probably BG.)

Really the FFXI community on this website was ****, it was probably the most hostile community for a video game I have ever seen and their notion that every game was inferior to the crotch stain that was FFXI from 2006-2012 is laughable. My favorite arguments were the ones that stemmed from WoW being to easy...because in WoW you didn't have to stand around for 3 hours waiting on a world pop and use your 3KUSD Bot to claim it to prove you had skill.

Also I should retract my comment about cleaning up the FFXI community, while I trolled all the elitist twats, it was Abyssea that killed them. The best thing to happen to ZAM FFXI was Abyssea because all the elitist folks quit because their 2 years of abusing a glitch in the game in order to get leet gear amounted to wasted time, or they got banned when SE punished the majority of the endgame crowd for exploiting.

Seriously though. **** fanboyism.

EVE Online is still the best MMO though Smiley: grin
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#384 Apr 07 2014 at 12:06 PM Rating: Good
I never posted in general. We had a pretty close nit community on the Fenrir forums back then.

As an added bonus the people in my LS who weren't ***** about me quitting for WoW got all my gil and gear. Which was some pretty significant endgame items and a large chuck of pocket monies. Smiley: wink
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#385 Apr 07 2014 at 12:25 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,028 posts
I've played it for at least 20 hours now. Not one broken quest. I have five characters started, one is L8 (it takes pretty long to level, I've seen people say that on the PTR (the private Beta maybe?) it took 150-200 hours of /played to get to cap). I like being dumped into the main city first, because it has a bank and a stable, and the first person you see when you exit the building you find yourself in tells you to go to the docks and talk to "so-and-so" who then sends you to the starter island. What motivated me to do just thatwas that I was told that she saved me by pulling me from the water, and would explain more when I spoke with her. Meanwhile, you can get things sorted at the bank as I found I had looted quite a bit of stuff in the tutorial area.

I have not fallen through the ground once. I have not experienced any lag. I have not lost any items. I like quests with a theme, but I have to be honest in that I don't have a great attention span for quest dialogue. I have no idea what the overall story was in GW, and only an inkling of what the story was in FFIV, and is there even a story in Rift or WoW (/sarcasm)? But the way these quests are designed, they are as much showing me the story as telling it to me, and I like that.

I'm not without complaints, but my complaints involve the way Zenimax has run the game "outside" the game. Their website did not take my credit card because it said there was a problem with my address matching my billing address. But the address was correct and I tried many times. Support told me to remove any punctuation or special characters. I had no special characters and it was impossible to add punctuation - there were fields for me to fill in individual parts of my address and the website then put them together. I tried two different credit cards, and I had used both numerous times that day, in person and online, with no problem. I finally gave up and bought the game from Amazon.

However, that just put the problem off for a couple of days, because when the pre-purchase time ran out I had to go to Zenimax's website to enter my subscription. The first problem was that it was completely non-intuitive. There was no place to enter a subscription and I went through every page on the site. I finally found, after doing some Google research, that you have to "activate a game code" and the website would then prompt you to subscribe. But I had already activated my game code, that's how I played for two days during pre-purchase. Anyway, after that I got the address error again. I then tried using Chrome instead of Firefox. Bingo, it worked.

To me, all of that, and the authorization hold of the full subscription price, is amateur stuff that I wouldn't expect from this company. I've seen people post that they will be taking a three week break from the game until they get paid (maybe they're paid monthly?) because they just don't have the dollars or euros for the authorization hold. To me, that's unacceptable on Zenimax's part. They do not need to hold the full amount, one dollar is enough to see that the credit card is valid. I wonder what will happen with that person when he comes back in three weeks and finds that three weeks of his first 30 days is gone?

____________________________
One of my opinions is worth three of your facts.

#386 Apr 07 2014 at 12:46 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,059 posts
Elinda wrote:
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
It's almost like MMO's are a religion and yours being right means everyone else's has to be wrong.

I've not ever seen teacake say anything about any other game.


I don't think he was accusing me, just agreeing with me about how crazy some peeps get. Aeth knows I could totally take him in a duel.

I think the thing about defending your game to protect the population is a great point. And that people should relax - there are plenty of nerds to go around! We can have all the nice things!

FWIW I haven't seen a quest bug since that first big patch, even playing through content that bugged out on me every time during beta/the first couple days of access. But I'm not sure it matters - a bad first impression is a really tough thing to recover from and if the word on the street is "buggy, wasn't ready, fail" that's not good for them no matter how quickly they correct course. OTOH I think they can milk a lot of good will out of the Elder Scrolls name (and have been). Also curious to see if the console release is anything more than a blip.

They need to make double-dog-sure they've worked out the kinks and then have a couple of free weekends. With candy and ponies and free haircuts for everyone!

Edit:
cynyck wrote:
I like being dumped into the main city first
...

I have not fallen through the ground once. I have not experienced any lag. I have not lost any items.

Agree on both points. Another thing I like about going to the city first apart from the convenience is that it gives you a better sense of the culture and aesthetics of your chosen faction. The starter islands don't really reflect what their actual zones, architecture, etc. are like. I think you feel connected to your alliance more quickly this way, which some people could not give a fig about, but others like.

And although I don't want to be one of those people I was mocking for their starry-eyed praise, it's really true that the server stability continues to be unbelievable for a launch. The only unstable thing about it is their PR - they have a tendency to go down for maintenance without warning. But when it's up, it's smooth as... a smooth thing. I haven't got a simile at the moment.

Edited, Apr 7th 2014 2:53pm by teacake
#387 Apr 07 2014 at 12:50 PM Rating: Good
Native controller support would be nice. Wonder if the console version will enable that for PC. Seems like the game would play well with a gamepad. Only 5 skills, plus soft targeting. I played Skyrim with a controller and my bad hand is already getting sore from ESO this weekend.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#388 Apr 07 2014 at 12:56 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,059 posts
I play with my Tartarus gamepad, which is obviously different from a console style controller, but it works great - I love that there are so few things I have to bind compared to some other games.
#389 Apr 07 2014 at 1:00 PM Rating: Good
That thing is scary looking! The Tartarus. I could always use xpadder or something but I've never really had good luck with half arsing it with an emulater.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#390 Apr 07 2014 at 1:09 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,059 posts
I actually really love my Tartarus, and that is not easy for me to say, because if you want to talk about mouth-frothing fangirls, me + Logitech = TLA. But when my G13 broke and I went shopping for a new one, I found that the Tartarus was more comfortable for my wrist.

OTOH you can - and in all likelihood somebody will - pry my MX518 out of my cold dead hand.
#391 Apr 07 2014 at 2:29 PM Rating: Good
Where the mudcrabs at? Stabby stabby stab. I made a Khajit to try out DW daggers. Stabin crabs all day now with teleport strike to flurry.

Wish it did not take so long to get the mats to make some initial leather armor though. ._.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#392 Apr 07 2014 at 2:33 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,059 posts
I love dual wield so much. Using it for "second" weapon set but find myself equipping it more often than staff. Still don't have weapon swap because I started over again on Saturday. LAST TIME(tm). I thought they upped the drop rate on rawhide from wolves?
#393 Apr 07 2014 at 2:48 PM Rating: Good
teacake wrote:
I love dual wield so much. Using it for "second" weapon set but find myself equipping it more often than staff. Still don't have weapon swap because I started over again on Saturday. LAST TIME(tm). I thought they upped the drop rate on rawhide from wolves?


Wolves you say? hmm maybe this one hunts wolves now.

*edit I keep getting pulled into quests on noob island while trying to farm.

Edited, Apr 7th 2014 1:49pm by Shojindo
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#394 Apr 07 2014 at 3:31 PM Rating: Good
Found a sweet spot to farm around Bolga's hunting ground. Even found a rare crocadile.

DW daggers seems like sooo much more damage than my bow set. I morphed double strike so the bleed heals me even. But it's killing crazy fast at level 6. Now the smart thing to do would make that my alt set on my already level 11 bosmer, but I kinda like this khajit now. Alt-itus
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#395 Apr 07 2014 at 4:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,108 posts
I'm not sure I understand the draw to DKs for solo play. It looks like a lot of their skills are mitigation or blocking related, so you'd have to go sword-and-board to maximize the benefits, right?

How is soloing a tank any fun? I might just be missing the point.
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#396 Apr 07 2014 at 6:12 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,059 posts
My DK isn't tanky at all; she's essentially a fire mage. I use destro staff and light armor, mixed with skills from the ardent flame line (for additional damage skills) and earthen heart (for extra survivability). The fire theme of the DK goes nicely and the kindling passive is especially nice for inferno staff users.

Your weapon choice is the main influence over what kind of character you have. Class is really more flavor than anything else. Every class can be built around a tank, healer, support, melee, caster, whatever you want depending on what weapon is in your hand and, to a lesser extent, what armor you use. I do like the DK because there are a lot of defensive skills and I love that I can play a cloth-mage type that isn't too squishy, but mostly I chose it because I just like fire.

That said, my WoW blood DK called from 2010, and she said soloing a tank is totally fun. Smiley: cool
#397 Apr 07 2014 at 6:17 PM Rating: Good
***
2,028 posts
Demea wrote:
I'm not sure I understand the draw to DKs for solo play. It looks like a lot of their skills are mitigation or blocking related, so you'd have to go sword-and-board to maximize the benefits, right?

How is soloing a tank any fun? I might just be missing the point.

I don't know and my DK is still low level, but there's something fun about it. I like the visual when I block with a two-hander or when I interrupt, as opposed to dual wield's block and interrupt. I like some of the other skills like charge and chains. It makes picking my fights easier, for sure. And there's just a lot there there. In other words, he takes a beating. Maybe it's all in my head, because for this guy I set all the sliders all the way to the right and he's huge.

I've been splitting my time between the DK and the dual-wield Kajitt. Kajjit. Kajiit. Cat.

(EDIT: I know, Khajiit)

Edited, Apr 7th 2014 8:18pm by cynyck
____________________________
One of my opinions is worth three of your facts.

#398 Apr 07 2014 at 6:32 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,059 posts
cynyck wrote:

I don't know and my DK is still low level, but there's something fun about it. I like the visual when I block with a two-hander or when I interrupt, as opposed to dual wield's block and interrupt. I like some of the other skills like charge and chains.


Yeah, but everything there except the death grip comes from the two hander, right? So you could get that same feel from any class if you used a two hander and wore heavy armor. Everyone has CC and other bits of flair to add on, per your taste.

I always recommend to people who ask me about this game that they look at the characters by starting with a basic role/style, and from there the weapons they'd want to use. Then armor. Then look through the class skills and pick what you'd most like to round out your toolbars with. It's really the last consideration. IIRC they originally weren't even going to put classes in at all, and it shows. Unless I'm imagining it, in which case it only shows because I'm, you know, hallucinating. Smiley: blush
#399 Apr 07 2014 at 6:32 PM Rating: Good
Catjeet is really fun so far. He might win the highest level alt race soon.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#400 Apr 07 2014 at 6:35 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,059 posts
Master Shojindo wrote:
Catjeet is really fun so far. He might win the highest level alt race soon.


Plus they're hilarious.
#401 Apr 07 2014 at 6:56 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
*****
19,954 posts
teacake wrote:
cynyck wrote:

I don't know and my DK is still low level, but there's something fun about it. I like the visual when I block with a two-hander or when I interrupt, as opposed to dual wield's block and interrupt. I like some of the other skills like charge and chains.


Yeah, but everything there except the death grip comes from the two hander, right? So you could get that same feel from any class if you used a two hander and wore heavy armor. Everyone has CC and other bits of flair to add on, per your taste.

I always recommend to people who ask me about this game that they look at the characters by starting with a basic role/style, and from there the weapons they'd want to use. Then armor. Then look through the class skills and pick what you'd most like to round out your toolbars with. It's really the last consideration. IIRC they originally weren't even going to put classes in at all, and it shows. Unless I'm imagining it, in which case it only shows because I'm, you know, hallucinating. Smiley: blush


They should have stuck with the original plan. Smiley: madSmiley: madSmiley: mad

(Still more than a little ****** that classes are a thing in this game. If any game should have had completely free skill development, it's ESO).
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 58 All times are in CST
Demea, Jophiel, Poldaran, Anonymous Guests (55)