The three Warlock areas of focus are Affliction, Demonology, and Destruction.
Affliction bolsters the Warlock's curses, drains and other damage over time abilities.
Demonology is about the demon - making him stronger, but also making the warlock stronger by manipulating his demon.
Destruction is the less subtle of the three, focusing on straight up damage.
As a ranged damage dealer, the majority of the Warlock's ability fall under Fire Damage and Shadow Damage. The Warlock however does enjoy a lot of versatility in the way he can deal damage.
- Shadow Bolt (level 1) - A bolt that deals shadow damage to the target.
- Immolate (level 2) - Set the target of fire, dealing an amount of fire damage immediatly, and then afflicting the target with a fire damage DoT.
- Corruption (level 4) - Afflict the target with a shadow damage DoT.
- Searing Pain (level 18) - A quick cast fire blast. This move create a lot of Threat, making it key in some pve situation.
- Rain of Fire (level 20) - A channeled ability that calls down a rain of fire over an area, dealing fire damage to all within it.
- Hellfire (level 30) - A channeled ability that deals fire damage over time to enemy around the Warlock. The Warlock also loose health as he does this.
- Conflagrate (Destruction, level 40) - Ignite a target already afflicted by Immolate, dealing fire damage but consuming the immolate debuff.
- Unstable Affliction (Afflication, level 50) - Afflict the target with a shadow damage DoT, if the target gets dispelled by a friendly unit while Unstable Affliction is up, the dispeller will take shadow damage and be silenced for 5 seconds.
- Shadowfury (Destruction, level 50) - Deals shadow damage and stuns for 2 seconds in a 8 yard area.
- Incinerate (level 64) - Deals fire damage to the target, but deals more if the target is afflicted by the Immolete debuff.
- Seed of Corruption (level 70) - Afflict the target with a shadow damage DoT for 18 seconds. When the target takes the total damage from the DoT or dies, it blows up, dealing shadow damage to all hostile target within 15 yards.
Fear and Terror
One of the key ability of the Warlock, especially in pvp, is the ability to cause Fear and Terror in his target. While Fear isn't a unique mechanism to the class, no other class has it so readily available.
- Fear (level 8) - Strikes fear in the enemy, causing it to run in fear. Damage caused may interrupt the effect. Only 1 target can be feared at a time.
- Howl of Terror (level 40) - Strikes fear into up to 5 target within 10 yards of the Warlock
- Death Coil (level 42) - Cause shadow damage to the target and cause it to run away in Terror for 3 seconds. The Warlock gain 100% of the damage caused by Death Coil in health.
Drains are abilities that allow the Warlock to steal health points or mana or otherwise play around with those values from a targeted enemy, pet or even himself.
- Life Tap (level 6) - Turns a certain of Health into Mana .
- Health Funnel (level 12) - Channeled spell that transfer some of your Health to your pet.
- Drain Life (level 14) - Channeled ability that drain Health from the target to the Warlock.
- Drain Mana (level 24) - Channeled ability that drain Mana from the target to the Warlock.
- Siphon Life (Affliction, level 30) - A shadow damage DoT that transfer the damage caused as Health to the Warlock.
- Dark Pact (Affliction, level 40) - Takes Mana from your summoned demon and give it to yourself.
Curse are a special category of debuff which cannot be dispelled by magic dispelling effect, requiring instead a remove curse/decurse ability. Only Mages and Druids and certain immunities (Such a rogue's cloak of shadow) can decurse. Only one Curse per Warlock can be active on any one target.
- Curse of Weakness (level 4) - Lower the target's attack power, lessening its physical damage.
- Curse of Agony (level 8) - Afflict the target with a shadow damage DoT.
- Curse of Recklessness (level 14) - Increase target's attack power, but lower its armor. The target will not flee (if it is a mob) and is immune to Fear and Terror effects.
- Amplify Curse (Affliction, level 20) - Increase the potency of your next Curse of Agony, Doom or Exhaustion.
- Curse of Tongues (level 26) - Increase target's casting time by a significant amount.
- Curse of Exhaustion (level 26) - Reduce target's movement speed.
- Curse of the Elements (level 32) - Increase all Fire and Frost damage taken by the target as well as reducing it's resistance to those damage type.
- Curse of Idiocy (level 38) - Lower target's wisdom and intellect.
- Curse of Shadow (level 44) - Increase all Shadow and Arcane damage taken by the target as well as reducing it's resistance to those damage types.
- Curse of Doom (level 60) - Curses the target with impending doom, causing Shadow damage after 1 min. If the target dies from this damage, there is a chance that a Doomguard will be summoned. Cannot be cast on players.
Another unique mechanism of the Warlocks are Soul Shards. Those can be harvested from mob and players within xp/honor range who die from Drain Soul. Soul Shard take space in the Warlock's bag but can be used for many powerful spell, including summoning demon pets. However, this subdivision is about the non-pet related soul shard abilities.
- Drain Soul (level 10) - Drains the soul of the target, causing Shadow damage over 15 sec. If the target dies while being drained, and yields experience or honor, the caster gains a Soul Shard.
- Create Healthstone (level 10) - Creates a Healthstone that can be used to instantly restore Health . Conjured items disappear if logged out for more than 15 minutes.
- Create Soulstone (level 18) - Creates a Soulstone. The Soulstone can be used to store one target's soul. If the target dies while his soul is stored, he will be able to resurrect. Conjured items disappear if logged out for more than 15 minutes.
- Ritual of Summoning (level 20) - Allows the Warlock to summon a target party member. Requires the assistance of 2 more players.
- Shadowburn (Destruction, level 20) - Deals instant Shadow Damage to the target. If the target dies within 5 seconds of the shadowburn, it gives a Soul Shard.
- Create Firestone (level 28) - Creates a Firestone which can be equipped. Enchants the main hand weapon with fire, granting each attack a chance to deal additional Fire damage. In addition, equipping the Firestone increases the damage done by fire spells. Conjured items disappear if logged out for more than 15 minutes.
- Create Spellstone (level 36) - Creates a Spellstone for the caster. When equipped and used, the Spellstone dispels all harmful magic effects from the caster. In addition, equipping the Spellstone improves your spell critical strike rating. Conjured items disappear if logged out for more than 15 minutes.
- Soul Fire (level 48) - A long cast time ability that deals massive fire damage to the target.
- Soulshatter (level 66) - Shatter a Soul Shard to reduce Threat by 50% for all enemies within 50 yards.
- Ritual of Souls (level 68) - A ritual that create a soul table, which stores up to 10 healthstone which can be taken by party and raid members.
The Warlocks also has access to some buff, with the exception of unending breath and detect invisibility, all those buff are for the Warlock himself.
- Demon Skin (level 1) - Increase Armor and restores a small amount of Health per 5 sec. Lasts 30 minutes.
- Unending Breath (level 16) - Allows the target to breathe underwater for 10 minutes.
- Demon Armor (level 20) - Increase Armor, Shadow Resistance and restores a small amount of Health per 5 sec. Lasts 30 minutes. This spell replace Demon Skin for all intent and purpose.
- Detect Invisibility (level 26) - Allows a friendly target to detect lesser invisibility for 10 minutes.
- Shadow Ward (level 32) - Absorb an amount of shadow damage taken for 30 seconds.
- Fel Armor (level 62) - Increase healing received by spells and increase damage dealt by spell. Lastes 30 minutes.
Demons: Pets and Control
The warlock's most identifying feature is his ability to summon and control demons, which will then assist him in battle. His ability over demons also make him an important party member when dealing with this mob type. Every demon has his own unique ability, which bolster the warlock's (and his party's) defense, offense, crowd control, etc. Picking the right demon for the right situation is the first step in being a good Warlock.
- Summon Imp (level 1) - Summons an Imp. The imp is a support pet, it bolsters your party's Health with Blood Pact , attack with Firebolt and has the ability to make himself unattackable with Phase Shift .
- Summon Voidwalker (level 10) - Summons a Voidwalker. The Voidwalker is a defensive pet who can tank mobs for the Warlock with his Torment ability which cause a high level of Threat. He can heal himself with Consume Shadows and be turned into a protective shield by using Sacrifice.
- Summon Succubus (level 20) - Summons a Succubus. The Succubus is an offensive damage dealer, with ability to deal extra shadow damage with Lash of Pain, as well as lower her own threat with Soothing Kiss . The Succubus can also seduce a target, providing extra crowd control.
- Eye of Kilrogg (level 22) - Summons an eye of kilrogg and bind you vision to it. The eye move quickly but is easily destroyed.
- Fel Domination (Demonology, level 20) - Greatly reduce the casting time and mana cost of your next summoned imp, succubus, voidwalker, felhunter or felguard.
- Banish (level 28) - Banish the target Elemental or Demon, making it invulnerable, but preventing any action.
- Summon Felhunter (Demonology, level 30) - Summons a Felhunter. The Felhunter is an aggressive anti-magic pet, often used in pvp. It can counter spell with Spell Lock and remove magical effects with Devour Magic, which also heals it. It increase the party's stealth detection with Paranoia, making it invaluable when fighting rogues. Lastly, a felhunter can make melee who attack it lose attack power with Tainted Blood.
- Enslave Demon (level 30) - Enslave an npc demon, making it your pet for the duration of the spell. Enslaved demons are weaker when under your control then they normally are. You cannot control a npc demon and one of your pet demon at the same time.
- Demonic Sacrifice (Demonology, level 30) - Sacrifice your summoned demon to grant you an effect for 30 minutes. The effect is canceled if any Demon is summoned.
- Soul Link (Demonology, level 40) - 20% of the damage you take is instead taken by your pet. Both you and your pet enjoy a 5% damage increase.
- Inferno (level 50) - Cast down an Infernal from the sky, stunning anybody near it's crash spot for 2 seconds. The Infernal remain under control of the Warlock for 5 minutes, following that it is set free and must be enslaved to be controlled.
- Summon Felguard (Demonology, level 50) - Summon a Felguard. A felguard is a powerful melee combatant who greatly increase the damage of the Warlock, with ability such as Cleave, Intercept and Demonic Frenzy . It can replace the Voidwalker as a tank with Anguish.
- Ritual of Doom (level 60) - Begins a ritual that sacrifices a random participant to summon a doomguard. The doomguard must be immediately enslaved or it will attack the ritual participants. Requires the caster and 4 additional party members to complete the ritual. In order to participate, all players must right-click the portal and not move until the ritual is complete.
This page last modified 2008-07-06 15:20:20.