Disenchanting is an ability granted by the Enchanting profession]. It is used to destroy magical items (items of green item quality or higher) and turn them into materials used by enchanters - dusts, essences and shards. It will yield skill in Enchanting until level 70, after which you must actually enchant items or create items through Enchanting.
Level ranges that share a type of dust will increase in yield approximately every 5 levels. For green armor, there is roughly a 75% chance of getting dust, a 20% chance of getting essence, and a 5% chance of a shard. For green weapons, it is reversed; essences come 75% of the time, dust comes 20% of the time, and shards are granted 5% of the time. Green items will only yield one shard at a time.
|Equip Level||Dust result||Essence result||Shard result||Minimum level to DE|
|1-10||Strange Dust||Lesser Magic Essence||Small Glimmering Shard||1|
|11-15||Strange Dust||Greater Magic Essence||Small Glimmering Shard||1|
|16-20||Strange Dust||Lesser Astral Essence||Small Glimmering Shard||25|
|21-25||Soul Dust||Greater Astral Essence||Large Glimmering Shard||50|
|26-30||Soul Dust||Lesser Mystic Essence||Small Glowing Shard||75|
|31-35||Vision Dust||Greater Mystic Essence||Large Glowing Shard||100|
|36-40||Vision Dust||Lesser Nether Essence||Small Radiant Shard||125|
|41-45||Dream Dust||Greater Nether Essence||Large Radiant Shard||150|
|46-50||Dream Dust||Lesser Eternal Essence||Small Brilliant Shard||175|
|51-60||Illusion Dust||Greater Eternal Essence||Large Brilliant Shard||200|
|57-70||Arcane Dust||Lesser Planar Essence||Small Prismatic Shard||225|
|61-70||Arcane Dust||Greater Planar Essence||Large Prismatic Shard||275|
Blue items will DE into 1 or 2 shards according to the chart above; blues from 51-60 have a small chance of DEing into a Nexus Crystal, while 61-70 blues can become a Void Crystal. Pre-51 epics DE into shards according to the chart, and DE into crystals at the same levels as blues, with no chance of becoming a shard. It is possible to obtain multiple crystals from DEing epics.