Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Can you level entirely from Gathering?Follow

#1 Feb 28 2011 at 7:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,450 posts
Do you folks think you could level entirely from gathering professions? You get a boatload of exp from gathering, so I wonder if you could do it...

I might just create a character to try it.
____________________________
Rhodekylle wrote:
In a world where studies show marriages now run into trouble after three years, it is probably to be expected that games lose their enchantment at least as quickly.
#2 Feb 28 2011 at 12:44 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,623 posts
You could, technically, but it would take a LONG, LONG TIME.

If you add in Archaeology, it'll go much faster. But still not nearly as fast as leveling normally.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#3 Feb 28 2011 at 1:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,450 posts
Idiggory, I get the feeling sometimes that you and I are the only people that post on this site anymore, well outside of the priest forums.

In an unrelated bit, I had no idea that Archaeology gave exp...

Edited, Feb 28th 2011 2:33pm by Moonkissed
____________________________
Rhodekylle wrote:
In a world where studies show marriages now run into trouble after three years, it is probably to be expected that games lose their enchantment at least as quickly.
#4 Feb 28 2011 at 3:29 PM Rating: Good
It's absolutely possible. There's another site I go to occasionally to talk about WoW related stuff, and someone posted on there that they had done it.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#5 Feb 28 2011 at 5:21 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,623 posts
That's because I spend a lot of time avoiding the work I should be doing. I can't justify playing WoW with the pile there, but stopping by allah every 5 minutes isn't so bad.

Like right now, for example. I should be studying for my French History midterm tomorrow. :3

...

...

: (
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#6 Feb 28 2011 at 5:45 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,623 posts
Quote:
In an unrelated bit, I had no idea that Archaeology gave exp...


Quite a bit, actually. Each dig gives a % of your total exp (higher level areas give a slightly higher %, if I understand correctly).

So, my DK says that it takes 1,683,600 experience to get from 80 to 81.

A successful dig gives 5,5000 exp, which is .325%. Rested exp will apply, doubling it. So it'll take about 300 digs to get one level (I assume this is true of any level). So from 20-85 (64 levels), it will take about 19,200 digs. Cut that in half if you only dig when rested.

A successful mining job of Obsidian gives 2,200 exp, a much lower % of my total, and lower tiers give less. So while I could level by just running around zones getting ore/herbs, it would take much longer. Each would give me less exp than a dig, and I have to rely on luck to actually find them. Not so much an issue at lower levels, but can definitely be annoying higher up. Of course, you'll probably mine more per hour than dig at lower levels, but once you get an epic flyer archaeology is super fast.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#8 Feb 28 2011 at 10:34 PM Rating: Default
**
323 posts
Moonkissed wrote:
Do you folks think you could level entirely from gathering professions? You get a boatload of exp from gathering, so I wonder if you could do it...

I might just create a character to try it.


I pretty much did this on my Fury Warrior. I leveled him from 80-85 and outside of mining, I did only;
1) Dal and Org dailies for Cooking, Fishing, and JC.
2) Archaeology to 205.

Because I can play a lot very late at night I could do an awful lot of mining in Deepholm and Uldum with little or no competition for nodes. That helped.
#9 Mar 02 2011 at 7:13 PM Rating: Good
I know a lot of people who leveled up pretty well from 83-85 when whiptail was spawning wildly. Too bad that's not the case anymore.
#10 Mar 03 2011 at 1:02 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,879 posts
Quote:
Do you folks think you could level entirely from gathering professions?


You could but normal questing and instances will go faster, hell, I'd bet that leveling via BGs only would probably even be faster.

That said, if you've got a toon that doesn't "need" a tradeskill then herb/mining will certainly speed up its leveling nicely and if you need to go on a gathering binge to level a tradeskill and you've got a lower level alt that can survive the zones you need to farm the mats in then its definitely worth your while to let that alt do the gathering for you.

Quote:
In an unrelated bit, I had no idea that Archaeology gave exp...


Dear God yes!

I effectively leveled my hunter to 85 almost entirely on rested archaeology (yes, rested XP bonus does count towards Arch, no clue if the heirloom gear does as didn't have any at the time) - the pay off per dig is obscene.
#11 Apr 11 2011 at 6:47 AM Rating: Excellent
And now it has been done. A level 85 with no kills, not even a critter. Herbalism, Mining, and Archaeology.

Source:
Player Profile
Online News Article



Edited, Apr 11th 2011 8:48am by dadanox
____________________________
Wahu - Disc Priest (main)
Get an Authenticator!!
Necro Warning: This post occurred more than thirty days after the prior, and may be a necropost.
#12 Apr 11 2011 at 8:24 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,928 posts
The Honorable dadanox wrote:
And now it has been done. A level 85 with no kills, not even a critter. Herbalism, Mining, and Archaeology.

Source:
Player Profile
Online News Article


Kinda surprised she doesn't have any gear. I mean, the AH is still available and I'm sure that selling all those materials would be a fine source of income.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#13 Apr 11 2011 at 12:19 PM Rating: Good
LockeColeMA wrote:
The Honorable dadanox wrote:
And now it has been done. A level 85 with no kills, not even a critter. Herbalism, Mining, and Archaeology.

Source:
Player Profile
Online News Article


Kinda surprised she doesn't have any gear. I mean, the AH is still available and I'm sure that selling all those materials would be a fine source of income.


She probably just likes the look of her character dressed that way, or figured there were less repair bills. I could see myself doing some crazy project like this. It's an easier one than reaching 85 without ever dieing, which also has been done.
____________________________
Wahu - Disc Priest (main)
Get an Authenticator!!
#14 Apr 11 2011 at 3:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,450 posts
Wow... that is crazy. I guess someone just had the time.
____________________________
Rhodekylle wrote:
In a world where studies show marriages now run into trouble after three years, it is probably to be expected that games lose their enchantment at least as quickly.
#15 Apr 12 2011 at 12:49 PM Rating: Excellent
**
970 posts
Hmm. Could you gather enough to pay for a flyer (basically required for Arch) without another toon bankrolling you, if you didn't kill anything, which eliminates the possibility of both drops and quest rewards (with the exception of daily fishing/cooking, which pay bupkis if you still get XP from them)? I suppose so, if that's all you were doing...
#16 Apr 12 2011 at 2:00 PM Rating: Good
***
2,168 posts
ElMuneco wrote:
Hmm. Could you gather enough to pay for a flyer (basically required for Arch) without another toon bankrolling you, if you didn't kill anything, which eliminates the possibility of both drops and quest rewards (with the exception of daily fishing/cooking, which pay bupkis if you still get XP from them)? I suppose so, if that's all you were doing...


Dude Some low herbs/metals would go for insane amounts in the mid range of the gathering skills. It might have changed but overall this person probably has 310% + a few ten thousand gold. Unless a ton has changed in a the few months I've been un-playing.
____________________________
What I Play
Recently Played
#17 Apr 12 2011 at 4:51 PM Rating: Good
ElMuneco wrote:
Hmm. Could you gather enough to pay for a flyer (basically required for Arch) without another toon bankrolling you, if you didn't kill anything, which eliminates the possibility of both drops and quest rewards (with the exception of daily fishing/cooking, which pay bupkis if you still get XP from them)? I suppose so, if that's all you were doing...


I got my first epic flyer from herbalism alone in Outlands. I just got up a little early before work and did the rounds in Terrokar and Netherstorm. Now that you can track both herbs and minerals easily at the same time, you could make an insane amount of money with it.

Hmm, I'm getting the idea for a fun project.... I'm seriously thinking of leveling a character only through gathering, and seeing how much money I would have accumulated at each level. I won't go out of my way to kill anything, and my main will only supply some bags, heirloom gear, and 5g.

Edited, Apr 12th 2011 7:18pm by dadanox
____________________________
Wahu - Disc Priest (main)
Get an Authenticator!!
#18 Apr 12 2011 at 5:53 PM Rating: Excellent
**
970 posts
The Honorable dadanox wrote:
I got my first epic flyer from herbalism alone in Outlands. I just got up a little early before work and did the rounds in Terrokar and Netherstorm. Now that you can track both herbs and minerals easily at the same time, you could make an insane amount of money with it.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking it through. The gold per hour isn't awesome, but it doesn't have to be. Especially with dual-tracking and (probably more importantly) earlier mounts. Combined with the fact that you're spending all your time on it, and that it kind of scales inversely with your level relative to the other things you aren't doing.
#19 Apr 13 2011 at 8:38 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
26,951 posts
Depending on your server, you'd be able to buy epic flying by level 30.
I'm not kidding, most of my toons have about 1k gold around level 45 without any special effort towards gathering.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 15 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (15)