Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Harry Potter and Last Thread About It (Part 2)Follow

#1 Jul 15 2011 at 1:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,450 posts
That's it. The end.

And I think it ended on a very good note.

Also, Draco/Voldemort is now headcannon after the Voldehug.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist anus.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129

#2 Jul 15 2011 at 1:47 AM Rating: Decent
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,746 posts
I'm a big HP buff, but I just can't stand the movies. The deviation from the books kills my soul (as does any adaptation that doesn't stay true to the original).

I saw every movie up until 5, and then stopped.

The fact that I'm always confused about what's going on, despite completely knowing the book's plot, never helps. >.<
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#3 Jul 15 2011 at 1:56 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,450 posts
I think that in this last one, they actually stayed really true to the book. My sister is like you - faithful tot he book to the end. And even she admitted that this movie was the best in the series, and that it's pretty dang close. There are some minor discrepancies, of course, but that would happen unless they used the book for an actual script.

A very few changes off the top of my head:

Neville admits flat out that he has a thing for Luna, where it was only implied in the book, and only if you have your shipping goggles on pretty tight.

The Harry-Voldemort battle is drawn out a lot more. This is a change I actually liked. Voldy's death in the book was just so sudden. It felt a bit rushed.

They don't show Harry's wand being repaired. Minor detail, btu a detail nonetheless. It didn't really bother me too much.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist anus.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129

#4 Jul 15 2011 at 2:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
5,550 posts
So at the part where Voldemort's robes start to wrap around and strangle harry My girlfriend leans over to me and says I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going. I giggled.
____________________________
Mindel wrote:
Don't listen to bisexuals.
Aripyanfar wrote:
All bi's are slut-tarts.
#5 Jul 15 2011 at 2:43 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,746 posts
Your girlfriend is both awesome and terrifying.

Neville admits flat out that he has a thing for Luna, where it was only implied in the book, and only if you have your shipping goggles on pretty tight.

Too bad he ends up with Hannah Abbott. Yes, I am that much of an HP nerd to know that off the top of my head. >.< Hence why the movies give me trouble, lol.

I think the third movie was when my faith in them was shattered. I respected that the 4th and 5th tried to stay closer to the books, but the 3rd was just unforgivable. And the casting and writing of Dumbledore in the latter movies is just awful. I still don't understand why he regularly assaulted Harry in the 4th...

I will say that I've always thought that Emma Watson and Alan Rickman were perfectly cast though. McGonagall and Gilderoy Lockhart were good too.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#6 Jul 15 2011 at 2:45 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,746 posts
Also, with some dental work, Neville's actor would be completely adorable.

Until then, he's only moderately so.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#7 Jul 15 2011 at 3:05 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,746 posts
Oh my, he did get them fixed...
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#8 Jul 15 2011 at 7:00 AM Rating: Good
******
43,596 posts
This belongs here.
Screenshot

Also, Peter Garrett looks like Voldemort.
Screenshot


Edited, Jul 15th 2011 9:03am by lolgaxe
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#9 Jul 15 2011 at 7:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,942 posts
lolgaxe wrote:

Also, Peter Garrett looks like Voldemort.
Screenshot

Pretty sure that's Rick Scott, governor of FL, affectionately referred to as Governor Alien.
Rick Scott


Edit:
Quote:
Too bad he ends up with Hannah Abbott. Yes, I am that much of an HP nerd to know that off the top of my head. >.< Hence why the movies give me trouble, lol.

Holy moley, I never knew that. Reading the interview now; I knew the first part, that Dumbledore's wand shoots for the other team. Sucks that Hagrid never marries.

Edited, Jul 15th 2011 10:01am by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#10 Jul 15 2011 at 8:00 AM Rating: Good
******
43,596 posts
Then Rick Scott looks like Peter Garrett that looks like Voldemort. Smiley: laugh
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#11 Jul 15 2011 at 8:12 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
Going to see the double feature tonight at the drive in. At least it sounds like they made the last movie a good one.
#12 Jul 15 2011 at 11:27 AM Rating: Good
*
236 posts
This was definitely my favorite HP movie, and it followed the book remarkably well for an HP movie. I especially loved McGonagall/Molly/Neville during this one.

One part I was hoping they had deviated from the book was the "19 years later" part. I think I can speak for most people there, given the massive groan that spread across the theater when it started to play. I was pleasantly surprised though. It was actually pretty cute and not nearly as cheesey and fan-fic-ish as originally written. Albus Severus Potter is still a ridiculous name though. Poor kid will get made fun of for years.

In the end, I loved the whole thing, and will probably go see it again in the next 72 hours.
____________________________
~SMN99 BRD99 BLM99 BLU99 WHM99 DNC99 THF99 RDM95 COR95 SCH95 RNG75
#13 Jul 15 2011 at 11:55 AM Rating: Good
******
30,642 posts
RizzoRazzle wrote:
One part I was hoping they had deviated from the book was the "19 years later" part.


I actually loved that she did that in the book, personally. Smiley: lol
#14 Jul 15 2011 at 12:07 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,450 posts
RizzoRazzle wrote:
Albus Severus Potter is still a ridiculous name though. Poor kid will get made fun of for years.


Given some of the weird names that seem to be commonplace in the wizarding world (like Xenophilius), I'm not too worried.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist anus.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129

#15 Jul 15 2011 at 12:22 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,942 posts
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
RizzoRazzle wrote:
One part I was hoping they had deviated from the book was the "19 years later" part.


I actually loved that she did that in the book, personally. Smiley: lol

Just curious, but why? I always hate time-leap endings personally. I respect that she was basically closing down the series, but still... ugh. Hokey.

Also, little pet peeve of mine... why do people in books get married to the folks they fall for at 16? If I married my girlfriend from that time I'd be MISERABLE now. I understand it would be too weird to bring in new characters, but dammit, these kids never even learn basic life skills in Hogwarts and now they're getting married? Yeah, that's safe.

Actually, let's think about that for a moment. I understand spells are cool, but think of all the things they're missing from their 7 years of education:

-Basic math skills
-Basic reading/writing/language (how is this not explained? I know most 11 year olds have some reading ability, but do they really not have a language class at all for the next 7 years!?)
-Science of any kind (this includes **** ed)
-I might have missed it, but is there an ethics or law class? Besides History of Magic? They're enabling children to wield powerful spells and then letting them out into the world. Yeah, that's gonna end well.



Aaaaaand, I'm still looking forward to seeing this tonight Smiley: lol
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#16 Jul 15 2011 at 12:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
***
1,304 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
[...]
Actually, let's think about that for a moment. I understand spells are cool, but think of all the things they're missing from their 7 years of education:

-Basic math skills
-Basic reading/writing/language (how is this not explained? I know most 11 year olds have some reading ability, but do they really not have a language class at all for the next 7 years!?)
-Science of any kind (this includes **** ed)
-I might have missed it, but is there an ethics or law class? Besides History of Magic? They're enabling children to wield powerful spells and then letting them out into the world. Yeah, that's gonna end well.



Aaaaaand, I'm still looking forward to seeing this tonight Smiley: lol


Why do you think they have so many issues blending in with Muggles? Smiley: lol
#17 Jul 15 2011 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
******
30,642 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Just curious, but why? I always hate time-leap endings personally. I respect that she was basically closing down the series, but still... ugh. Hokey.


I guess because it's how I wanted things to turn out, and having that endorsed as "fact" by the author makes me feel all gooey inside.
#18 Jul 15 2011 at 12:44 PM Rating: Good
******
30,642 posts
I forgot this:

LockeColeMA wrote:
Also, little pet peeve of mine... why do people in books get married to the folks they fall for at 16?



Two things: One, they go through so much together and no one could possibly understand them. They have such a bond, and they are truly in love. Two, there are really no other options because these are the characters the readers have grown to love. You don't really think of them as 16 year olds (unless you are 16). You think of them as your own age, in a way.
#19 Jul 15 2011 at 12:49 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,596 posts
Ravashack wrote:
Why do you think they have so many issues blending in with Muggles? Smiley: lol
It ain't easy.
Screenshot
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#20 Jul 15 2011 at 1:04 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,746 posts
Quote:
Also, little pet peeve of mine... why do people in books get married to the folks they fall for at 16? If I married my girlfriend from that time I'd be MISERABLE now. I understand it would be too weird to bring in new characters, but dammit, these kids never even learn basic life skills in Hogwarts and now they're getting married? Yeah, that's safe.


Luna marries Newt Scamander's son (the one who wrote Magical Beasts and Where to Find Them), who wasn't in the book. :P Draco ends up with someone who was in Hogwarts at the time, but never mentioned (Astoria Greengrass). Most of the future stories haven't actually been commented on/published by JK Rowling--they'll come out whenever she publishes her encyclopedia.

The ones who do marry characters from the books:
George marries Angelina Johnson
Neville marries Hannah
Harry marries Ginny
Hermione marries Ron

I'm pretty sure that's all that has actually been revealed.

Of those, only Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione dated while in school. Neville KNEW Hannah, but there wasn't any relationship. And Angelina was kinda involved with Fred, not George.

As for Arthur/Molly Weasley and James/Lily Potter, it's also not surprising. They make a point to note in the books that, during Voldemort's reign, people were quick to marry and start families, for fear that they didn't have time to do otherwise. If you are looking to be settled by 20, your high school sweetheart is often your only option, since there isn't really Wizard college, and the Wizarding world is a really drawn out place. You literally know EVERYONE around your age in the whole country, because of Hogwarts.

...

I am SUCH A NERD. D:
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#21 Jul 15 2011 at 1:20 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,496 posts
idiggory wrote:
Quote:
Also, little pet peeve of mine... why do people in books get married to the folks they fall for at 16? If I married my girlfriend from that time I'd be MISERABLE now. I understand it would be too weird to bring in new characters, but dammit, these kids never even learn basic life skills in Hogwarts and now they're getting married? Yeah, that's safe.


Luna marries Newt Scamander's son (the one who wrote Magical Beasts and Where to Find Them), who wasn't in the book. :P Draco ends up with someone who was in Hogwarts at the time, but never mentioned (Astoria Greengrass). Most of the future stories haven't actually been commented on/published by JK Rowling--they'll come out whenever she publishes her encyclopedia.

The ones who do marry characters from the books:
George marries Angelina Johnson
Neville marries Hannah
Harry marries Ginny
Hermione marries Ron

I'm pretty sure that's all that has actually been revealed.

Of those, only Harry/Ginny and Ron/Hermione dated while in school. Neville KNEW Hannah, but there wasn't any relationship. And Angelina was kinda involved with Fred, not George.

As for Arthur/Molly Weasley and James/Lily Potter, it's also not surprising. They make a point to note in the books that, during Voldemort's reign, people were quick to marry and start families, for fear that they didn't have time to do otherwise. If you are looking to be settled by 20, your high school sweetheart is often your only option, since there isn't really Wizard college, and the Wizarding world is a really drawn out place. You literally know EVERYONE around your age in the whole country, because of Hogwarts.

...

I am SUCH A NERD. D:


So... where did this information come from?
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#22 Jul 15 2011 at 1:38 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,746 posts
JK Rowling gives interviews and talks. >.<
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#23 Jul 15 2011 at 2:27 PM Rating: Good
RizzoRazzle wrote:
One part I was hoping they had deviated from the book was the "19 years later" part. I think I can speak for most people there, given the massive groan that spread across the theater when it started to play. I was pleasantly surprised though. It was actually pretty cute and not nearly as cheesey and fan-fic-ish as originally written.
Hm, everyone in my theater cheered when that part came up. It's a little hokey, sure, but I think it was important. When you have a series like this that is so beloved, with characters that you are emotionally invested in, even when you get good closure you find yourself asking "but what happens now?" (or at least I do). I think it gives you a much greater sense of satisfaction with the ending, personally. Also, I agree with Belkira.
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#24 Jul 15 2011 at 2:30 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
RizzoRazzle wrote:
One part I was hoping they had deviated from the book was the "19 years later" part.


I actually loved that she did that in the book, personally. Smiley: lol

Just curious, but why? I always hate time-leap endings personally. I respect that she was basically closing down the series, but still... ugh. Hokey.


You're not alone. I hate time leap endings, too. I have an unusual affection for ambiguous endings that's related to it, too.

My best example? FF7. God almighty, I wish they ended that game with the CG where everyone blinks or shields their eyes (it's probably youtube-able, if anyone can't remember the scene). That would have been such a poetic ending. People would have hated it for the ambiguity, though.

Instead, they then cut to the "X years later" CG, with Red XIII and kin. It didn't ruin the ending, by any stretch, but man, they missed a chance.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#25 Jul 15 2011 at 3:43 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,746 posts
Quote:
Instead, they then cut to the "X years later" CG, with Red XIII and kin. It didn't ruin the ending, by any stretch, but man, they missed a chance.


I thought that was a great scene, personally. It didn't really concern the characters at all--it was more about showing that the quest was worth it, and I appreciated that gesture.

I didn't mind the epilogue as a flash-forward, I just didn't like the way it was written. But I'll admit it had the emotional reaction she was likely intending.

When I imagine the 7th book without the epilogue, it just doesn't feel complete.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#26 Jul 16 2011 at 2:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,942 posts
So, the movie **** me off. AFAIK it was the best one (I haven't seen the others in years), but every little tiny detail that changed annoyed me. Spoilers ahoy:


-Gringotts, they don't fall off the track in the book, the multiplying cups didn't burn in the movie, there is a LOT less death mentioned in the book, including Griphook dying.
-Neville... ok, to be fair, he's pretty much the best character in the last movie. Funny, awkward, and awesome. I didn't like his speech at the end, though I don't remember if that was in the book. And in the book, he doesn't like Luna! Sigh.
-I thought Hagrid was carried away by spiders. Instead he's just tied up in the forest by Death Eaters without explanation. His brother is missing entirely.
-King's Cross wasn't bad; I think they cut a fair amount of dialogue, but kept the important bits ("Of course it's all in your head!")
-While the fight scene with Volemort was cool, it was also overly lengthy. And i don't recall Voldemort getting hit by Harry's spell, but rather their spells ricocheting and Voldemort basically hitting himself by accident. And while I enjoyed the "Not my daughter, you **** line (and everyone applauded in the theater), I actually felt it was poorly delivered.
-Harry uses the Elder Wand to repair his in the book; he doesn't snap it in half >_<
-Ok... big personal peeve: Harry's mom Lily. Looking at the actress, I'd put her at... 40? Maybe older? She's supposed to be 21! Almost the same age as her son. Same with Harry's dad James, who looks **** near 50. Why the heck did they age their characters AFTER they died?


So yeah. I was annoyed by a lot of it. I should have watched some of the previous movies again before going; it just felt, eh, not as magical. So, best of the series perhaps, but needs to be connected to the others to really make magic.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#27His Excellency Aethien, Posted: Jul 16 2011 at 4:15 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I've never been able to watch more than ~10 minutes of any Potter movie. I really don't see how people enjoy the movies.
#28 Jul 16 2011 at 4:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,304 posts
Finally had a chance to watch it.

Favorite part:

Mcgonagall animating the golems and then suddenly saying "...I've always wanted to use that spell!"

But yeah, some of the alterations felt a bit...rushed.

#29 Jul 16 2011 at 7:46 PM Rating: Good
LockeColeMA wrote:



-Gringotts, they don't fall off the track in the book, the multiplying cups didn't burn in the movie, there is a LOT less death mentioned in the book, including Griphook dying.
-Neville... ok, to be fair, he's pretty much the best character in the last movie. Funny, awkward, and awesome. I didn't like his speech at the end, though I don't remember if that was in the book. And in the book, he doesn't like Luna! Sigh.
-I thought Hagrid was carried away by spiders. Instead he's just tied up in the forest by Death Eaters without explanation. His brother is missing entirely.
-King's Cross wasn't bad; I think they cut a fair amount of dialogue, but kept the important bits ("Of course it's all in your head!")
-While the fight scene with Volemort was cool, it was also overly lengthy. And i don't recall Voldemort getting hit by Harry's spell, but rather their spells ricocheting and Voldemort basically hitting himself by accident. And while I enjoyed the "Not my daughter, you **** line (and everyone applauded in the theater), I actually felt it was poorly delivered.
-Harry uses the Elder Wand to repair his in the book; he doesn't snap it in half >_<
-Ok... big personal peeve: Harry's mom Lily. Looking at the actress, I'd put her at... 40? Maybe older? She's supposed to be 21! Almost the same age as her son. Same with Harry's dad James, who looks **** near 50. Why the heck did they age their characters AFTER they died?



-Neville did give a speech in the book, and it was then that the snake attacked (if I'm remembering it right) and he beheaded it. Bu yea, he does walk forward and then tells Lord V to suck it.
-In the book Hagrid is there when Harry shows up to die.
-I actually liked the fight scene because it happens so fast in the book. Harry tells him the Wand won't work (at killing it's true master), Voldemort cast spell, it bounces back and Voldemort is dead. In the book, this all takes place with people around to see it. As I liked the fight scene in the movie, I did not like the next scene where Harry is just walking back into the building... like nothing happened.
-I don't remember what he does with the wand in the book, but I thought he got rid of it and it would now too be lost (as the stone is lost out in the woods).

As to the Age...yes we know about the age Lily died but that doesn't mean Harry himself didn't age his parents in his own head. I mean when I think of my parents I think and see them as they are now. Not their 25/27 year old selves. I know he had pics, but c'mon..it is a world of magic. His parents were never ghosts (so an actual copy of they way they were when they died).
Now if we are talking about the actors who played his parents. I'm pretty sure they are the same people who were in the 1st movie with the mirror. So they look old because..you know..that movie came out 10 years ago.

I also didn't like the epilogue in the book or film, but I'm not the author of the books. It just seems odd to me that JKR's world is just our world but with a secret magic side. Of all the Wizards and Witches..not 1 would see his/her chance to step in the shoes and be the worlds new great threat? The epilogue for me only did 2 things: Shows that Harry has a pretty normal life, and if any new stories are to follow the Potter family it will be done in Pre-Harry Potter time, or deal with his kids...and what? He just sits back and lets them deal with it? -.-


Over all it was a good movie. I hope we get great things from (the kids, now adults) peeps who played these roles.
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | **** | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
#30 Jul 16 2011 at 9:08 PM Rating: Decent
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,746 posts
Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:



-Gringotts, they don't fall off the track in the book, the multiplying cups didn't burn in the movie, there is a LOT less death mentioned in the book, including Griphook dying.
-Neville... ok, to be fair, he's pretty much the best character in the last movie. Funny, awkward, and awesome. I didn't like his speech at the end, though I don't remember if that was in the book. And in the book, he doesn't like Luna! Sigh.
-I thought Hagrid was carried away by spiders. Instead he's just tied up in the forest by Death Eaters without explanation. His brother is missing entirely.
-King's Cross wasn't bad; I think they cut a fair amount of dialogue, but kept the important bits ("Of course it's all in your head!")
-While the fight scene with Volemort was cool, it was also overly lengthy. And i don't recall Voldemort getting hit by Harry's spell, but rather their spells ricocheting and Voldemort basically hitting himself by accident. And while I enjoyed the "Not my daughter, you **** line (and everyone applauded in the theater), I actually felt it was poorly delivered.
-Harry uses the Elder Wand to repair his in the book; he doesn't snap it in half >_<
-Ok... big personal peeve: Harry's mom Lily. Looking at the actress, I'd put her at... 40? Maybe older? She's supposed to be 21! Almost the same age as her son. Same with Harry's dad James, who looks **** near 50. Why the heck did they age their characters AFTER they died?



-Neville did give a speech in the book, and it was then that the snake attacked (if I'm remembering it right) and he beheaded it. Bu yea, he does walk forward and then tells Lord V to suck it.
-In the book Hagrid is there when Harry shows up to die.
-I actually liked the fight scene because it happens so fast in the book. Harry tells him the Wand won't work (at killing it's true master), Voldemort cast spell, it bounces back and Voldemort is dead. In the book, this all takes place with people around to see it. As I liked the fight scene in the movie, I did not like the next scene where Harry is just walking back into the building... like nothing happened.
-I don't remember what he does with the wand in the book, but I thought he got rid of it and it would now too be lost (as the stone is lost out in the woods).

As to the Age...yes we know about the age Lily died but that doesn't mean Harry himself didn't age his parents in his own head. I mean when I think of my parents I think and see them as they are now. Not their 25/27 year old selves. I know he had pics, but c'mon..it is a world of magic. His parents were never ghosts (so an actual copy of they way they were when they died).
Now if we are talking about the actors who played his parents. I'm pretty sure they are the same people who were in the 1st movie with the mirror. So they look old because..you know..that movie came out 10 years ago.

I also didn't like the epilogue in the book or film, but I'm not the author of the books. It just seems odd to me that JKR's world is just our world but with a secret magic side. Of all the Wizards and Witches..not 1 would see his/her chance to step in the shoes and be the worlds new great threat? The epilogue for me only did 2 things: Shows that Harry has a pretty normal life, and if any new stories are to follow the Potter family it will be done in Pre-Harry Potter time, or deal with his kids...and what? He just sits back and lets them deal with it? -.-


Over all it was a good movie. I hope we get great things from (the kids, now adults) peeps who played these roles.



Okay, this is my last sub-10k post...

IT WOULD BE OBNOXIOUS TO SPOILER ALL OF THIS. IT CONTAINS INFO FROM THE BOOKS, AS WELL AS INFO THAT WAS GIVEN IN INTERVIEWS AFTER THE FACT.

-In the book, Hagrid is fighting but gets carried off into the forest by the Acromantulas. When Harry arrives in the forest, he is in the grove with Voldemort, tied up (and I think it's apparent that he's been tortured).
-Neville doesn't really give a speech so much as shout that they won't bow down to him. Then Voldemort attacks him. But he manages to pull Godric's Sword out of the Sorting Hat and beheads the snake. :P
-The real climax of the book is Harry walking into the forest, accepting death, and confronting Voldemort, imo. A longer fight scene would have made the climax more exciting (as the fight would have been it), but ultimately I think the book was better off this way. The story has always been about Harry, not about Harry's fight with Voldemort. Granted, that was the major sub-arc, but it would have obfuscated the real value of the books to make their final battle the climax.
-In the book, he drops the Resurrection Stone in the Forbidden Forest, and then decides to leave it there so no one will ever have to suffer because of it again. He keeps the cloak, because it was his father's (and is, by all rights, his--he is the last descendant of the wizard that created it). The Elder wand is used to repair his own wand, which is one of my favorite scenes in the series, honestly. He then decides that it should never again be used by wizards and returns it to the tomb, hoping it will lose its magic in time.
-His parents in the first movie appeared like they were in their mid to late thirties, which is the real issue. They should have been like 14-15 years younger. Same with Petunia and Vernon, for that matter--no clue why they are in their fifties when petunia should have been in her thirties in the first movie.
-I'm pretty sure the book makes it clear how his parents looked when coming out of the stone. I recall it saying all of them looked young, and Sirius had reverted back to the youthful way he was at their parents' wedding. Lupin looked healthy, etc. It was supposed to be a sign that dying really wasn't that awful, and that the worst part was the small amount of time leading up to it--the time they were going to help him through. This scene made me cry in the books. >.<

Know what I REALLY wish they had done in the movie (which I'm assuming they didn't)? Included the dedication, at least in the credits. It would need to be reworked for the movie, of course, but I still remember how I felt reading that. "The dedication of this book is split seven ways: to Neil, to Jessica, to David, to Kenzie, to Di, to Anne, and to you, if you have stuck with Harry until the very end."

HP was a huge part of my childhood, being a little bookworm with an overactive imagination. That really struck home for me.

Some other fun facts:
-JK Rowling originally intended to have Dudley seeing his son off to Hogwarts in the epilogue. But she decided against it, saying that no wizard genes could survive contact with Uncle Vernon's DNA.
-The original epilogue (which wasn't at King's Cross) was going to be a less personal look at the future of the Wizarding world, where she'd mention how Ron, Hermione, Harry, Neville, the New Ministry and everyone else all changed the wizarding world. But she decided against it, because the story was ultimately about Harry's journey through the Wizarding World, and not about the world itself. She felt the epilogue should reflect that.

-Harry and Ron both became Aurors (and Harry eventually becomes the head of the department). Hermione went back to Hogwarts to finish her 7th year, even though Kingsley Shacklebolt declared that any of Harry's classmates who missed their final year and participated in the battle were free to enter the ministry without finishing school. She worked in the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures for years, advancing the rights of non-human magical creatures (particularly Goblins, House-Elves, Mermaids and Werewolves), and totally revolutionized the way the Ministry addressed them (making the Wizarding World less about Wizards controlling everything, and more democratic). She eventually switched to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement and eliminated laws favoring Pure-Bloods.

Neville was an auror for a while before eventually becoming the Herbology teacher. He and Hannah Abbott own the Leaky Cauldron, which she runs.

Ginny becomes a professional Quidditch Player for the Holyhead Harpies. After she had her children, she became the Quidditch correspondent for the Daily Prophet.

Harry, Ron and Hermione all were featured on chocolate frog cards. Harry's son, James, stole the Marauder's Map out of his father's desk (and inherited the invisibility cloak).

Harry and Dudley managed to have something of a relationship, that generally included them meeting every so often to sit in the same room in silence for a while. They did exchange Christmas Cards though. JK Rowling has never mentioned if Harry ever saw Aunt Petunia again, but she clarified that what she wanted to say to him before leaving in the book was something like "I know what you are facing, so be careful."

George continues to manage the joke shop, and is very successful, and names his son Fred. Ron helped him out with the shop, until he could get used to running it on his own. But it was always extremely profitable.

Teddy Lupin is raised by his grandmother, but is always welcome at the Potter house (and is regularly a guest for Sunday tea). Bill and Fleur have 3 children, iirc. I can't remember if she ever mentioned what happened to Charlie Weasley.

Harry kept the Malfoys out of Azkaban (by vouching that they defected before his defeat, even though it seemed like Voldemort was definitely going to win), and although he and Draco never became friends, they ceased to be enemies or rivals. All the rest of the death eaters (including Goyle) were given life sentences in Azkaban.

He also made sure that Snape's portrait would remain in the Headmaster's Office.

This post is a mess, but I don't have the energy to organize it. :P
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#31 Jul 16 2011 at 9:42 PM Rating: Good
Thanks for the info digg, I never knew some of that other stuff.
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#32 Jul 17 2011 at 1:35 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,161 posts
Diglett is such a **** Potter geek... Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#33 Jul 17 2011 at 6:53 AM Rating: Good
*****
10,496 posts
I enjoyed the movie. I hadn't read the 7th book in a couple years, so I didn't have to notice all the changes. However, the scene I was honestly most looking forward to was when everyone at Hogwarts is shown Harry's body, and the person who screams is McGonogall. It made me sad that they changed that for the movie :(.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#34 Jul 17 2011 at 11:31 AM Rating: Decent
**** Dig, where you get some of this info?
so I can pass info along, but not send people to this site XD lol
____________________________
Sandinmyeye | **** | Dihydrogen Monoxide (it kills)
#35 Jul 17 2011 at 2:31 PM Rating: Good
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,057 posts
For everyone complaining about minor changes from the book, I have two words for you, "Tom Bombadil".
#36 Jul 17 2011 at 4:14 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,920 posts
Turin wrote:
For everyone complaining about minor changes from the book, I have two words for you, "Tom Bombadil".


I was more bothered with the sacking of the Shire not being in the movie, it would have made a better ending than what was given.
____________________________


#37 Jul 17 2011 at 4:14 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,776 posts
Turin wrote:
For everyone complaining about minor changes from the book, I have two words for you, "Tom Bombadil".


Director probably thought it would be too hard to try and explain his character.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#38 Jul 17 2011 at 6:27 PM Rating: Good
TirithRR the Eccentric wrote:
Turin wrote:
For everyone complaining about minor changes from the book, I have two words for you, "Tom Bombadil".


Director probably thought it would be too hard to try and explain his character.



Hell, Tolkien couldn't really explain him.Smiley: tongue
____________________________
gbaji wrote:
My own extraordinary nature has nothing to do with the validity of what I'm talking about..
#39 Jul 18 2011 at 8:38 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
There is definitely a lot I didn't remember. I read the book within the week it was released so it's been a few years.

One piece of advice I can give. Don't see "dark" movies at the drive-in. We went and saw the double feature, part 1 and 2 at the drive in and it really took away from the movie. It was hard to see detail and what was actually going on. I'll have to go back and watch it at a regular theatre.
#40 Jul 18 2011 at 12:08 PM Rating: Excellent
******
30,642 posts
Hyolith wrote:
One piece of advice I can give. Don't see "dark" movies at the drive-in. We went and saw the double feature, part 1 and 2 at the drive in and it really took away from the movie. It was hard to see detail and what was actually going on. I'll have to go back and watch it at a regular theatre.


Wait. You go to a drive-in to watch a movie...? Smiley: confused
#41 Jul 18 2011 at 12:16 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,450 posts
Friar Bijou wrote:
TirithRR the Eccentric wrote:
Turin wrote:
For everyone complaining about minor changes from the book, I have two words for you, "Tom Bombadil".


Director probably thought it would be too hard to try and explain his character.



Hell, Tolkien couldn't really explain him.Smiley: tongue


And that's why he's f*cking awesome.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist anus.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129

#42 Jul 18 2011 at 12:52 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,596 posts
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
Hyolith wrote:
One piece of advice I can give. Don't see "dark" movies at the drive-in. We went and saw the double feature, part 1 and 2 at the drive in and it really took away from the movie. It was hard to see detail and what was actually going on. I'll have to go back and watch it at a regular theatre.
Wait. You go to a drive-in to watch a movie...? Smiley: confused
I don't think I've ever seen more than five minutes worth of a movie in any drive in.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#43 Jul 18 2011 at 1:02 PM Rating: Excellent
******
30,642 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
Hyolith wrote:
One piece of advice I can give. Don't see "dark" movies at the drive-in. We went and saw the double feature, part 1 and 2 at the drive in and it really took away from the movie. It was hard to see detail and what was actually going on. I'll have to go back and watch it at a regular theatre.
Wait. You go to a drive-in to watch a movie...? Smiley: confused
I don't think I've ever seen more than five minutes worth of a movie in any drive in.


Doin it rite.
#44 Jul 18 2011 at 9:41 PM Rating: Decent
@#%^ing DRK
*****
13,137 posts
Just saw it earlier and I agree with some that it was certainly the best in the series. It mostly felt rushed to me. Alan Rickman easily carried the best moments. The thing that probably disappointed me the most was that there was no exploration of Harry dying to protect everyone from Voldemort. That could have translated well into film. The Molly/Beatrix fight was rather rushed as well and was easily one of my favorite moments in the books.

The part where Voldemort hugs Malfoy was so awkwardly hilarious, I burst out laughing. I was surprised no one else did. Smiley: bah
#45 Jul 19 2011 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,790 posts
I saw this last Sunday. It was good - better than the first half. Apparently it was very long ago that I'd read the book, as I was very confused about the final fight. I thought it had all taken place in the woods, not at the school. But my daughter assured me otherwise.

I liked the Gringott Bank scene the best.

Nineteen years later Hermione still looked 19.

Over-all the last couple books really lacked the fun, whimsical, magic stuffs that, I though, were Rowlings specialty.

The whole deal (7 books, 8 movies) made for some good reading and watching entertainment. I'll not be playing the video game.





____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#46 Jul 19 2011 at 12:44 PM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,746 posts
IDrownFish wrote:
Friar Bijou wrote:
TirithRR the Eccentric wrote:
Turin wrote:
For everyone complaining about minor changes from the book, I have two words for you, "Tom Bombadil".


Director probably thought it would be too hard to try and explain his character.



Hell, Tolkien couldn't really explain him.Smiley: tongue


And that's why he's f*cking awesome.


But, to be fair, that section grinds the flow of the book to a halt. Tolkein admitted that he only included Bombadil because his kids loved him, but wished he had omitted him, because he was too poorly inserted into the story. It's like stopping the Fellowship of the Ring a quarter through it to read a short story that has nothing to do with anything, and will never again be mentioned by anyone.

While we are on LotR though, I have to say--the thing I missed most in the translation from book to movie was the beginning of the first one. I thought the book plot, with him selling Bag End and such, was much, much more powerful. I get why they changed it, but I thought the quiet sorrow involved in leaving the Shire behind was great.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#47 Jul 20 2011 at 9:59 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
Hyolith wrote:
One piece of advice I can give. Don't see "dark" movies at the drive-in. We went and saw the double feature, part 1 and 2 at the drive in and it really took away from the movie. It was hard to see detail and what was actually going on. I'll have to go back and watch it at a regular theatre.


Wait. You go to a drive-in to watch a movie...? Smiley: confused


Sometimes, it depends on the movie(s). They have some decent double features for less than the price of 1 movie at a theatre. I get to do what I want, I don't have to sit in a theatre with people being annoying as **** I can also keep the volume at a level that doesn't blow my ear drums.
#48 Jul 20 2011 at 10:10 AM Rating: Good
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,746 posts
Hyolith wrote:
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
Hyolith wrote:
One piece of advice I can give. Don't see "dark" movies at the drive-in. We went and saw the double feature, part 1 and 2 at the drive in and it really took away from the movie. It was hard to see detail and what was actually going on. I'll have to go back and watch it at a regular theatre.


Wait. You go to a drive-in to watch a movie...? Smiley: confused


Sometimes, it depends on the movie(s). They have some decent double features for less than the price of 1 movie at a theatre. I get to do what I want, I don't have to sit in a theatre with people being annoying as @#%^. I can also keep the volume at a level that doesn't blow my ear drums.


Does that mean... you go alone?
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#49 Jul 20 2011 at 10:20 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,346 posts
Queen idiggory wrote:
Hyolith wrote:
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
Hyolith wrote:
One piece of advice I can give. Don't see "dark" movies at the drive-in. We went and saw the double feature, part 1 and 2 at the drive in and it really took away from the movie. It was hard to see detail and what was actually going on. I'll have to go back and watch it at a regular theatre.


Wait. You go to a drive-in to watch a movie...? Smiley: confused


Sometimes, it depends on the movie(s). They have some decent double features for less than the price of 1 movie at a theatre. I get to do what I want, I don't have to sit in a theatre with people being annoying as @#%^. I can also keep the volume at a level that doesn't blow my ear drums.


Does that mean... you go alone?


Hyolith wrote:
We went and saw the double feature, part 1 and 2 at the drive in
#50 Jul 20 2011 at 11:28 AM Rating: Decent
Muggle@#%^er
Avatar
*****
19,746 posts
Yeah, I was guessing that meant you and your hand.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#51 Jul 20 2011 at 2:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Unforkgettable
*****
13,233 posts
You totally can't tell that the local drive-in used to show X-rated films.
Screenshot
____________________________
Banh
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 27 All times are in CDT
Karlina, Anonymous Guests (26)