Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Scott PilgrimFollow

#1 Aug 13 2010 at 10:12 PM Rating: Excellent
******
30,643 posts
Go see it. Seriously. My favorite move of the year so far. I think it's even a little better than Kick ***. Smiley: thumbsupSmiley: thumbsup

Edited, Aug 15th 2010 7:59pm by Belkira
#2 Aug 13 2010 at 10:16 PM Rating: Good
****
5,352 posts
I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow. It looks really good, though I'm a little worried about it feeling too rushed, what with them having to compress 6 volumes of the comic into a 2 hour movie. I'm really looking forward to it though.
____________________________
75 Rabbit/75 Sheep/75 Coeurl/75 Eft/75 Raptor/75 Hippogryph/75 Puk
75 Scorpion/75 Wamoura/75 Pixie/75 Peiste/64 Sabotender
51 Bird/41 Mandragora/40 Bee/37 Crawler/37 Bat

Items no one cares about: O
Missions no one cares about: O
Crafts no one cares about: O
#3 Aug 13 2010 at 10:24 PM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
Karlina wrote:
I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow. It looks really good, though I'm a little worried about it feeling too rushed, what with them having to compress 6 volumes of the comic into a 2 hour movie. I'm really looking forward to it though.


I admit, I haven't read the comics, but the movie did this quite well, IMO.
#4 Aug 13 2010 at 10:32 PM Rating: Good
*****
16,958 posts
I was just gonna watch the testosterone-filled The Expendables with my dad next time we go to the theater, but now I'm totally watching Scott Pilgrim.

Thanks, Belki.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#5 Aug 13 2010 at 10:48 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,017 posts
I wanted to go tonight but none of my friends could...so maybe it'll be Sunday.
____________________________
クリスチアン・デュシェーヌ
栗栖治安
#6 Aug 14 2010 at 12:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
Go see it. Seriously.

If Cera's character was named George Michael Bluth, would I notice the difference?
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#7 Aug 14 2010 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
Go see it. Seriously.

If Cera's character was named George Michael Bluth, would I notice the difference?


Yes. Because women actually like Scott Pilgrim, and he fights people.

I also wouldn't say that he's as intelligent as Bluth.

However, the movie is much better than just Michael Cera.
#8 Aug 14 2010 at 12:23 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,098 posts
If it were anyone but Cera in the leading role, I'd be interested.
#9 Aug 14 2010 at 8:52 PM Rating: Good
****
5,352 posts
I saw this earlier and I thought it was great. Very true to the book (give or take some inevitable book/movie transition changes), but more than that it managed to really capture the feel of the comic. The over the top action, the narration, the text boxes and labels, the sound effects, it really felt like the comic come to life rather than just a movie based it.

My only real complaint is that it felt pretty rushed, but that's kind of inevitable when you're trying to fit 6 volumes of a comic into a two hour movie.



Quote:
If it were anyone but Cera in the leading role, I'd be interested.

I'm not a huge fan of his either but he was great in this role.
____________________________
75 Rabbit/75 Sheep/75 Coeurl/75 Eft/75 Raptor/75 Hippogryph/75 Puk
75 Scorpion/75 Wamoura/75 Pixie/75 Peiste/64 Sabotender
51 Bird/41 Mandragora/40 Bee/37 Crawler/37 Bat

Items no one cares about: O
Missions no one cares about: O
Crafts no one cares about: O
#10 Aug 14 2010 at 9:07 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,517 posts
Hilarious, awesome, and ridiculous. A fantastic movie.

And yes, Cera isn't that great but he was perfect for this role.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#11 Aug 14 2010 at 11:03 PM Rating: Good
I really enjoyed this movie. It not only entertained me throughout, but I've literally never seen anything like it before. Sure, some of Cera's fight scenes were a bit awkward, but it's pretty much what he's known for.

The vegan police had me in tears.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#12 Aug 15 2010 at 6:58 PM Rating: Good
****
9,017 posts
OMG awesome!

I usually hate seeing movies but this one was awesome and I'm buying it the instant it comes out on DVDs.
____________________________
クリスチアン・デュシェーヌ
栗栖治安
#13 Aug 15 2010 at 7:17 PM Rating: Good
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
11,278 posts
If you have a PS3 there is a 2-D, 4-Player, Side-Scrolling, Beat'em Up game available in the PSN Store for $10. The 360 version won't be available till the 26th I believe.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#14 Aug 15 2010 at 9:10 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
I've been looking forward to this one for a while, though I haven't actually had a chance to catch it yet. Good to hear that it's been favorably received in general.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#15 Aug 15 2010 at 9:53 PM Rating: Good
*****
16,958 posts
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
I was just gonna watch the testosterone-filled The Expendables with my dad next time we go to the theater, but now I'm totally watching Scott Pilgrim.

Thanks, Belki.
Just an update on this, I ended up watching The Expendables, because I didn't have anyone else to watch Scott Pilgrim with.

Oh well, I got a few chuckles out of Expendables.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#16 Aug 16 2010 at 3:05 AM Rating: Good
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
11,278 posts
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
Just an update on this, I ended up watching The Expendables, because I didn't have anyone else to watch Scott Pilgrim with.


You baby.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#17 Aug 16 2010 at 9:20 AM Rating: Good
*****
16,958 posts
I've never actually gone to a theater showing alone, it just seems odd.
____________________________
MyAnimeList FFXIV Krystal Spoonless
#18 Aug 16 2010 at 11:02 AM Rating: Good
Living on a Prayer
******
30,104 posts
Does it really have anything new to offer in the "LOL Quirky Romantic Comedy with a goofy akward kid played by Michael Cera" genre?
#19 Aug 16 2010 at 11:09 AM Rating: Excellent
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
11,278 posts
Usagi wrote:
Does it really have anything new to offer in the "LOL Quirky Romantic Comedy with a goofy akward kid played by Michael Cera" genre?


An awesome Bollywood dance scene for the first evil ex battle.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#20 Aug 16 2010 at 11:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Does it really have anything new to offer in the "LOL Quirky Romantic Comedy with a goofy akward kid played by Michael Cera" genre?


It may be the geekiest movie ever, as Pilgrim "levels up" throughout the movie, learns the bass line from FF 2, & knows more about Pacman than anyone should.

It's also directed by Edger Wright of Sean of The Dead/Hot Fuzz fame, so it is also awesomely funny.

And for all the Usagis; he also has a relationship with a 17 year old Asian proficient at video games, ninjaing, & knives.

Edited, Aug 16th 2010 1:22pm by Omegavegeta
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#21 Aug 16 2010 at 11:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Living on a Prayer
******
30,104 posts
You win this round, Trebek.

I wasn't sure if I could sit through yet another movie with a stereotypical ectomorph social reject with that "I LISTEN TO INDIE MUSIC AND BUY MY CLOTHES AT THE THRIFT STORE!" look who is trying to hook up with an equally quirky girl. This one sounds like it might actually be entertaining.
#22 Aug 16 2010 at 12:24 PM Rating: Good
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
11,278 posts
Omegavegeta wrote:
And for all the Usagis; he also has a relationship with a 17 year old Asian proficient at video games, ninjaing, & knives.


And she's extra perky in all meanings of the word.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#23 Aug 16 2010 at 12:25 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,517 posts
It's not that he listens to INDIE music... he PLAYS it!

Oh, and their band is called the *** Bob-ombs. How can you not love that?

Other than that though, it can hardly be called a romantic comedy by normal standards (despite the movie being heavy in both romance and comedy).
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#24 Aug 16 2010 at 1:26 PM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
Vataro wrote:
Other than that though, it can hardly be called a romantic comedy by normal standards (despite the movie being heavy in both romance and comedy).


More like a romantic action comedy. Heavy on the geekiness.

I loved it. But then, I like Michael Cera.
#25 Aug 16 2010 at 2:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Living on a Prayer
******
30,104 posts
I guess my biggest problem with this kind of thing is that it caters to this culture of people who fit in with each other because they "don't fit in." Like, that's their bond; they don't fit in. It contradicts itself because they fit in to their own group. Glorifying geek "culture" as this trendy thing is annoying as ****. It's geeky because it's not trendy. Bah! Smiley: bah

Maybe my problem is that I just don't like people. Smiley: lol
#26 Aug 16 2010 at 2:24 PM Rating: Good
*****
10,517 posts
Usagi wrote:
I guess my biggest problem with this kind of thing is that it caters to this culture of people who fit in with each other because they "don't fit in." Like, that's their bond; they don't fit in. It contradicts itself because they fit in to their own group. Glorifying geek "culture" as this trendy thing is annoying as ****. It's geeky because it's not trendy. Bah! Smiley: bah

Maybe my problem is that I just don't like people. Smiley: lol


Whatever, just go see it. If you aren't laughing for at least 75% of the movie I would be incredibly surprised.
____________________________
◕ ‿‿ ◕
#27 Aug 16 2010 at 2:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Living on a Prayer
******
30,104 posts
I'm sure I'll go see it as soon as I can get over myself. Smiley: lol
#28 Aug 16 2010 at 3:37 PM Rating: Good
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
11,278 posts
Usagi wrote:
Maybe my problem is that I just don't like people. Smiley: lol


Then you will like Kim Pine, or not.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#29 Aug 16 2010 at 4:55 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,352 posts
Usagi wrote:
I guess my biggest problem with this kind of thing is that it caters to this culture of people who fit in with each other because they "don't fit in." Like, that's their bond; they don't fit in. It contradicts itself because they fit in to their own group. Glorifying geek "culture" as this trendy thing is annoying as ****. It's geeky because it's not trendy. Bah!

That's not what it's about at all. People call it a geek movie but it's not really. Stylistically it plays out like a video game, but the story itself is mostly about a bunch of 20 something slackers hanging out. They're not a bunch of social misfits hanging together because no one else likes them. They're relatively normal people doing relatively normal things, just in a hilariously awesome setting. Part of the appeal is that Scott and his friends could be people you know (assuming you fall into that demographic.)
____________________________
75 Rabbit/75 Sheep/75 Coeurl/75 Eft/75 Raptor/75 Hippogryph/75 Puk
75 Scorpion/75 Wamoura/75 Pixie/75 Peiste/64 Sabotender
51 Bird/41 Mandragora/40 Bee/37 Crawler/37 Bat

Items no one cares about: O
Missions no one cares about: O
Crafts no one cares about: O
#30 Aug 17 2010 at 12:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
People call it a geek movie but it's not really.


Oh, it very much is. If you're not into video games, indy music, and/or internet culture I doubt you'd get it.

SA.COM[/link wrote:

Scott Pilgrim is quite possibly the nerdiest movie ever made. Half the score is composed in chiptune; motion lines and words like THONK and SMACK fly around emphasizing every other sound or action; and characters frequently pull unreasonably large weapons out of seemingly nowhere. If any of those are things you think you'd like to see in what is essentially a romantic comedy, then Scott Pilgrim might be for you. Much of it is eye-rollingly goofy, and I wouldn't blame anyone for completely dismissing it as geek-culture nonsense. However, the movie does manage to make all the visual excess work in its favor and play with gaming minutia in a way nobody's really ever pulled off before.


Full review from Somethingawful.


Edited, Aug 17th 2010 2:07am by Omegavegeta
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#31 Aug 17 2010 at 9:44 AM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
Karlina wrote:
That's not what it's about at all. People call it a geek movie but it's not really. Stylistically it plays out like a video game, but the story itself is mostly about a bunch of 20 something slackers hanging out. They're not a bunch of social misfits hanging together because no one else likes them. They're relatively normal people doing relatively normal things, just in a hilariously awesome setting. Part of the appeal is that Scott and his friends could be people you know (assuming you fall into that demographic.)


I don't think we watched the same movie. I don't consider fighting "seven evil ex's" a relatively normal thing.
#32 Aug 17 2010 at 10:00 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,017 posts
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
Karlina wrote:
That's not what it's about at all. People call it a geek movie but it's not really. Stylistically it plays out like a video game, but the story itself is mostly about a bunch of 20 something slackers hanging out. They're not a bunch of social misfits hanging together because no one else likes them. They're relatively normal people doing relatively normal things, just in a hilariously awesome setting. Part of the appeal is that Scott and his friends could be people you know (assuming you fall into that demographic.)


I don't think we watched the same movie. I don't consider fighting "seven evil ex's" a relatively normal thing.

Smiley: inloveChris EvansSmiley: inlove
____________________________
クリスチアン・デュシェーヌ
栗栖治安
#33 Aug 17 2010 at 10:23 AM Rating: Good
I just read that Beck wrote the *** Bob-Omb songs & covers them on the soundtrack.

I'm now downloading said soundtrack.
____________________________
"The Rich are there to take all of the money & pay none of the taxes, the middle class is there to do all the work and pay all the taxes, and the poor are there to scare the crap out of the middle class." -George Carlin


#34 Aug 17 2010 at 10:57 AM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
Omegavegeta wrote:
I just read that Beck wrote the *** Bob-Omb songs & covers them on the soundtrack.

I'm now downloading said soundtrack.


Oddly enough, that's what made me not interested in the soundtrack.
#35 Aug 18 2010 at 5:57 AM Rating: Good
*****
14,174 posts
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
I've never actually gone to a theater showing alone, it just seems odd.


I... I go to the cinema alone sometimes.

Smiley: cry

God, I'm so alone etc etc.

Quote:
I don't think we watched the same movie. I don't consider fighting "seven evil ex's" a relatively normal thing.


Yeah, I've never had to fight more than three.

Edited, Aug 18th 2010 12:18pm by Kavekk
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#36 Aug 18 2010 at 6:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
27,566 posts
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
I've never actually gone to a theater showing alone, it just seems odd.
I did once.

I had been fighting with my roommate at the time and needed out of the house, so I went to the movie theater. About halfway through the movie, with a good amount left in both my soda and popcorn, I found myself suddenly really needing to use the restroom. This left me with a dilemma. I could either go to the restroom and abandon my drink and popcorn(I wasn't going to leave them unattended and then come back and consume them), or I could suffer through the pain of a very full bladder for the next hour or more.

I ended up going to the restroom, but dumping out my drink and popcorn and holding both the cup and the bag in my mouth while I used the restroom, since I needed one hand to keep my pants held up high enough that they didn't get wet from the disgusting bathroom floor and the other hand to hold my fly open so I could pee. After the restroom trip, I bought a $0.50 drink refill and got the free refill my popcorn was entitled to, but ended up missing out on a lot more of the movie than I would have had someone else been there with me to watch my stuff.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#37 Aug 18 2010 at 6:48 AM Rating: Good
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
11,278 posts
The One and Only Poldaran wrote:
Another reason to not buy from the concession stand.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#38 Aug 18 2010 at 8:10 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,550 posts
Very true to the books, music was great (We are *** bob-omb is my ringtone now), Some of the comedy had me LOLing for reals, Ramona was ... Smiley: blush. Over all I'd say a big win, despite the fact that I was like "I bet this is going to be micheal cera doing his micheal cera thing all over again" when I saw the previews.
____________________________
Mindel wrote:
Don't listen to bisexuals.
Aripyanfar wrote:
All bi's are ****-tarts.
#39 Aug 22 2010 at 8:01 PM Rating: Good
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,968 posts
Saw it friday, both the girlfriend and I really enjoyed it. It reminded me a lot of those cheesy 80s videogame-esque movies. Cera was identical to every role I've seen him in, but the action was really neat, and everything was funny. Felt like it moved really fast, but I kind of expected that. Definitely recommend it, totally worth it.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#40 Aug 23 2010 at 12:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Living on a Prayer
******
30,104 posts
Kavekk the Ludicrous wrote:
Kirby the Eccentric wrote:
I've never actually gone to a theater showing alone, it just seems odd.


I... I go to the cinema alone sometimes.

Smiley: cry

God, I'm so alone etc etc.
I saw Kick *** alone. It wasn't bad at first, but then people next to me on either side were all snuggling, and I was like, "GEEZ GET A ROOM." I somehow managed to get that "third wheel" feeling and I wasn't even there with anyone. Smiley: lol
#41 Aug 23 2010 at 1:30 PM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
I went to the movies alone in college a few times to the **** away from my roommates. I've gone a few times since then, to movies that I wanted to see in the theater but I knew my husband didn't want to see. I haven't done it in a long time, but I think it's fun.

But then, I go out to eat alone all the time and read a book, so I'm a little pathetic like that.
#42 Aug 23 2010 at 1:32 PM Rating: Good
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
11,278 posts
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
I went to the movies alone in college a few times to the **** away from my roommates. I've gone a few times since then, to movies that I wanted to see in the theater but I knew my husband didn't want to see. I haven't done it in a long time, but I think it's fun.

But then, I go out to eat alone all the time and read a book, so I'm a little pathetic like that.


We should meet up and do stuff alone together.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#43 Aug 23 2010 at 2:18 PM Rating: Good
******
30,643 posts
Shaowstrike wrote:
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
I went to the movies alone in college a few times to the **** away from my roommates. I've gone a few times since then, to movies that I wanted to see in the theater but I knew my husband didn't want to see. I haven't done it in a long time, but I think it's fun.

But then, I go out to eat alone all the time and read a book, so I'm a little pathetic like that.


We should meet up and do stuff alone together.


Smiley: um


Awkward...
#44 Aug 23 2010 at 3:56 PM Rating: Good
Gave Up The D
Avatar
*****
11,278 posts
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
Shaowstrike wrote:
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
I went to the movies alone in college a few times to the **** away from my roommates. I've gone a few times since then, to movies that I wanted to see in the theater but I knew my husband didn't want to see. I haven't done it in a long time, but I think it's fun.

But then, I go out to eat alone all the time and read a book, so I'm a little pathetic like that.


We should meet up and do stuff alone together.


Smiley: um


Awkward...


Good, good, let the awkwardness flow through you.
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#45 Aug 24 2010 at 11:08 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
******
27,566 posts
Belkira the Tulip wrote:
But then, I go out to eat alone all the time and read a book, so I'm a little pathetic like that.
I do that often enough myself. Nothing wrong with that.

Especially since my bladder can usually hold out for the hour or so at the restaurant.
____________________________
Someone on another forum wrote:
Wow, you've got an awesome writing style.! I really dig the narrator's back story, humor, sarcasm, and the plethora of pop culture references. Altogether a refreshingly different RotR journal (not that I don't like the more traditional ones, mind you).

#46 Aug 28 2010 at 5:07 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,778 posts
I loved this movie, i've never read the comic before but i still laughed at this movie.
It was really well made and i'm definately getting it on DVD.

____________________________
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Invictus -- William Ernest Henley
#47 Aug 29 2010 at 12:42 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,098 posts
I do stuff like go to movies or restuarants alone all the time. Usually I decide to go do something on a whim, unless I'm already with someone, I just go by myself. I'm spontaneous like that.
#48 Sep 23 2010 at 4:40 AM Rating: Good
I went to see it with equally geeky friends of mine and we all loved it, but then we do all like Michael Cera. He only has 1 character but it's a **** good/funny one. If you haven't seen Scott Pilgrim yet, first check out the trailer, then check the movie listings, then go see it!



Edited, Sep 23rd 2010 6:40am by GeorgeMichaelBluth
#49 Sep 27 2010 at 9:15 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,908 posts
I loved that Scott was wearing a Plumtree shirt. I remember seeing them play live with the Salteens, back in the late nineties in Vancouver. Nice to see homage that inspired Bryan Lee O'Malley
____________________________
Mistress DVEight
Token Hot Chick



#50 Oct 08 2010 at 9:12 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,116 posts
Looks mind-blowing.

But... why Cera? He doesn't even look like the character. Oh well, at least they cast Mary Elizabeth Winstead in it as well. Smiley: drool2

Edited, Oct 9th 2010 5:17am by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#51 Nov 21 2010 at 1:07 AM Rating: Decent
Repressed Memories
******
20,580 posts
So I'm really late on this, but I just saw the movie.

Eh, thought it was ok. I thought a lot of the jokes fell flat, but some were nice hits. Punching knives so hard her highlights came out was fairly hysterical. Quixotically, I thought the movies succeeded best when taken as an action film. The fight scenes were far above the quality of those seen in actual action movies.

I think Usagi's criticism was kind of on the mark, or at least close to it.
Usagi wrote:
I guess my biggest problem with this kind of thing is that it caters to this culture of people who fit in with each other because they "don't fit in." Like, that's their bond; they don't fit in. It contradicts itself because they fit in to their own group. Glorifying geek "culture" as this trendy thing is annoying as ****. It's geeky because it's not trendy. Bah! Smiley: bah

It's not just Michael Cera playing the same character that gets tiring, but seeing the same types of personalities and styles rehashed again. I'm not sure what the proper term for the demographic is, but it's the same each time. I really liked Juno when I first saw it because it explored these personality set of people that I've known and hung out with but never seen showcased or addressed in media. Then they did it again and again and it stopped being unique and interesting. It might even be a genre now.
Necro Warning: This post occurred more than thirty days after the prior, and may be a necropost.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 34 All times are in CDT
Bijou, IDrownFish, Karlina, LockeColeMA, Anonymous Guests (30)