Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

I really had no idea you didn't want to be groped.Follow

#77 Aug 07 2013 at 5:38 PM Rating: Good
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts
What's doubly bizarre about this is that it's not like one could argue that there was some kind of partisan fake scandal thing going on here

True. It must be terribly confusing for you not to have to manufacture faux outrage. I would have thought you'd have to replace it with some sort of ludicrous notion of how this minor event would impact party politics at a macro lev...wait, just finishing your other posts.....oh.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#78 Aug 07 2013 at 5:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Smasharoo wrote:
I would have thought you'd have to replace it with some sort of ludicrous notion of how this minor event would impact party politics at a macro lev...wait, just finishing your other posts.....oh.

This could have repercussions on the San Diego city council and maybe even a House seat like you would never imagine.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#79gbaji, Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 5:57 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) How much impact on the national level these sorts of things have is always in question, but it doesn't help the Dems nationally when you've got two sort of similar scandals going on at the same time, on opposite coasts, and both Democrats are refusing to bow out. I know there's a desire to downplay this on the left, but it still does have some impression on people. If scandals like this didn't, they wouldn't become national news.
#80 Aug 07 2013 at 6:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
35,373 posts
gbaji wrote:
How much impact on the national level these sorts of things have is always in question, but it doesn't help the Dems nationally when you've got two sort of similar scandals going on at the same time, on opposite coasts, and both Democrats are refusing to bow out. I know there's a desire to downplay this on the left, but it still does have some impression on people. If scandals like this didn't, they wouldn't become national news.

I do find it amusing that the same folks who have gleefully pointed at any scandal involving any Republican at any level and associated this to damaging the "Republican brand" are so vehement that these are just local things that have no larger impact. It's like you guys are trying too hard or something.


You know, if I swapped Democrat and Republican, I could direct this exact same comment at you and it would be at a minimum, as fitting.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.


An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#81 Aug 07 2013 at 6:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
I know there's a desire to downplay this on the left, but it still does have some impression on people.

You say that about **** near literally every "scandal" that affects a Democrat, real or imagined (the scandal, not the Democrat). You don't have much of a batting average.

Quote:
I do find it amusing that the same folks who have gleefully pointed at any scandal involving any Republican at any level and associated this to damaging the "Republican brand"

At which point you always insist that it could never, ever hurt the Republicans. We're a little better at picking scandals though -- for instance, stupid abortion remarks easily cost the Republicans two Senate seats they should have won even as you swore the "war on women" was a media invention and no one outside the Left cared.

Worth mentioning that, in the case of Wiener, he has zero party support, his polling has cratered and he's only in the news as a joke. That said, his transgressions didn't affect anyone except his spouse. There's no reason to expect an identical response to someone who sexually harassed women (seemingly to the point of assault) with someone who engaged in consensual, if retarded, Twitter cybersex. That said, the person almost certain to become NYC's next mayor is a Democrat.

Edited, Aug 7th 2013 7:48pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#82 Aug 07 2013 at 6:48 PM Rating: Good
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,369 posts
If it helps I think of all politicians as manipulative sociopaths. There are simply some we've caught doing something bad, and those who've been able to hide it better.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#83 Aug 07 2013 at 7:12 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
34,925 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
I know there's a desire to downplay this on the left, but it still does have some impression on people.

You say that about **** near literally every "scandal" that affects a Democrat, real or imagined (the scandal, not the Democrat). You don't have much of a batting average.


I don't have to, at the rate that Dems are racking up the scandals.

Quote:
Quote:
I do find it amusing that the same folks who have gleefully pointed at any scandal involving any Republican at any level and associated this to damaging the "Republican brand"

At which point you always insist that it could never, ever hurt the Republicans.


I've never argued that these things "could never" hurt the Republicans. I have often lamented how the media tends to take very very minor things and turn them into harmful scandals when it's a Republican, while downplaying or out right ignoring far more problematic actions by Democrats. It's a foregone conclusion that each and every scandal by a Republican will hurt the party brand, because those who control 80% of what people see on TV make sure of it. That's not in question. What I do is try to show people how ridiculously skewed things are.

Quote:
We're a little better at picking scandals though


No. You have the aid of a media that overwhelmingly leans left.


Quote:
-- for instance, stupid abortion remarks easily cost the Republicans two Senate seats they should have won even as you swore the "war on women" was a media invention and no one outside the Left cared.


Yup. Case in point. Stupid remarks? So nothing having to do with policy, or votes, or actions. So not really scandals at all. Yet they cost Republicans two Senate seats. Kinda proving my point there Joph. Meanwhile, Democrats can cheat on their taxes, cheat on their wives, get caught on camera smoking crack, get caught red-handed with bribery money in their freezers, make openly racist comments, or any of a number of things which would get any Republican thrown out, and rarely do they suffer much if any negative effects. It's not because what they're doing isn't as bad, but that they are far more likely to have the media downplaying things for them rather than exaggerating them.

What's interesting is that it seems that Democrats have gotten so used to this beneficial treatment by the media, that they seem to engage in more and more brazen behavior, and then are shocked when the media finally reports any of it. It's like a betrayal when it happens.

Quote:
Worth mentioning that, in the case of Wiener, he has zero party support, his polling has cratered and he's only in the news as a joke. That said, his transgressions didn't affect anyone except his spouse. There's no reason to expect an identical response to someone who sexually harassed women (seemingly to the point of assault) with someone who engaged in consensual, if retarded, Twitter cybersex. That said, the person almost certain to become NYC's next mayor is a Democrat.


Sure. Point I'm making here is that in both of these cases, the men involved clearly believed that they could just continue to get away with their behavior, and that this played at least some part in the degree to which their behavior advanced over time. That's not about an individual taking their own actions, but reflects a larger trend. It's that trend I'm talking about.

Edited, Aug 7th 2013 6:13pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#84 Aug 07 2013 at 7:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
I don't have to, at the rate that Dems are racking up the scandals.

Trying to prove my point for me? Smiley: laugh
Quote:
I've never argued that these things "could never" hurt the Republicans.

Heh.
Quote:
Yet they cost Republicans two Senate seats. Kinda proving my point there Joph.

Heh x2. Well, have fun counting your super-important Democratic scandals and waiting on the sea change over the San Diego mayoral seat.

Edit:
Quote:
Meanwhile, Democrats can [...] cheat on their wives [...] which would get any Republican thrown out

This was sort of funny since Rep. Sanford (formerly Gov. Sanford) was overwhelmingly voted in for a Congressional seat in his deep red district after, you know, abandoning his office to fly to S. America and hump some chick who wasn't his wife. But those were apparently better qualities than whatever the (D) guy had Smiley: laugh

Edited, Aug 7th 2013 8:21pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#85gbaji, Posted: Aug 07 2013 at 7:29 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Um... The larger point that you are missing is that you, much like Democrat politicians, are more or less counting on the same favorable media coverage and the resulting skewed public response. As a result, you dismiss and downplay the importance of each of these scandals, because such things tend not to hurt Democrats as much as Republicans. ****, you're almost smug with satisfaction at this condition.
#86 Aug 07 2013 at 7:34 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
34,925 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Edit:
Quote:
Meanwhile, Democrats can [...] cheat on their wives [...] which would get any Republican thrown out

This was sort of funny since Rep. Sanford (formerly Gov. Sanford) was overwhelmingly voted in for a Congressional seat in his deep red district after, you know, abandoning his office to fly to S. America and hump some chick who wasn't his wife. But those were apparently better qualities than whatever the (D) guy had Smiley: laugh


So identical, right? Except for the fact that Sanford resigned. And the fact that he resolved his marital issues before seeking new office. He at least had the class to decide to divorce the wife he didn't love and go off and marry the woman he did rather than continue to keep the wife for political ends while continuing to have affairs. Like say Bill Clinton.

Also a huge difference between a guy who falls in love with another woman, and someone who hired prostitutes or engages in sexting with random women he knows. But hey. No point in letting facts get in the way of a good narrative.

Did you forget that the point with Weiner was that he continued to do the exact same things that got him in trouble before, but expected everyone to just ignore it and re-elect him. Trust me, if Sanford had stayed married to his wife, claimed he'd broken things off with his mistress, but was really still having the affair, he'd be dropped like a hot potato as well. But that's not what he did. So not the same thing at all.

Edited, Aug 7th 2013 6:35pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#87 Aug 07 2013 at 7:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
So identical, right? Except for the fact that Sanford resigned.

Ummm... want to fact check that and get back to me?

The state legislature killed the impeachment process and settled for a meaningless "censure". Sanford served his full term.
Quote:
Also a huge difference between a guy who falls in love with another woman

I'm sure it was of tremendous comfort to Mrs Sanford that her husband disappeared off the face of the Earth, abandoning home, family and government service to fuck some Argentinian woman he loved and not send **** tweets to some nameless *****. The man's a saint.


Edited, Aug 7th 2013 8:42pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#88 Aug 07 2013 at 7:41 PM Rating: Excellent
GBATE!! Never saw it coming
Avatar
****
9,297 posts
gbaji wrote:
As a result, you dismiss and downplay the importance of each of these scandals, because such things tend not to hurt Democrats as much as Republicans.
Because the GOP is the party screeching about their great "values", scandals hurt them more.

Duh.


Smiley: deadhorse


Edited, Aug 7th 2013 9:10pm by Bijou
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
Last week, I saw a guy with an eyepatch and a gold monocle and pointed him out to Flea as one of the most awesome things I've seen, ever. If I had an eyepatch and a gold monocle, I'd always dress up as Mr. Peanut but with a hook hand and a parrot.
#89 Aug 08 2013 at 7:13 AM Rating: Excellent
**
493 posts
Hypocrisy is a **** of a drug.
#90 Aug 08 2013 at 8:59 AM Rating: Good
******
49,737 posts
gbaji wrote:
I made the mistake of assuming you knew as much about the issue as I did.
Lucky for us we don't know the same amount or neither of us could power a lightbulb. So you're welcome.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#91 Aug 08 2013 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts

This was sort of funny since Rep. Sanford (formerly Gov. Sanford) was overwhelmingly voted in for a Congressional seat in his deep red district after, you know, abandoning his office to fly to S. America and hump some chick who wasn't his wife. But those were apparently better qualities than whatever the (D) guy had


To be fair, wanted sexual advances are probably better than unwanted ones, generally.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#92 Aug 08 2013 at 10:01 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Smasharoo wrote:
To be fair, wanted sexual advances are probably better than unwanted ones, generally.

I don't think (or know if) the SD mayor is married. I was referring more to Wiener who, by what I've heard, had consensual text/photo-based relationships.

More to it, Gbaji listed infidelity as one of the cardinal sins that Democrats defend but which would cast any Republican into the fiery pits of political job loss.

In recent history add Senator Vitter (R), a married man, who used prostitutes and not only kept his job (with no hint of considering resigning) but had essentially zero GOP pushback and was easily re-elected to another term. Point being, Gbaji sees what he wants to see.

Edited, Aug 8th 2013 11:05am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#93 Aug 08 2013 at 11:14 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,594 posts
At this time, he is apparently unmarried...

wiki wrote:
Filner is divorced from his first wife, Barbara (Christy) Filner, a retired mediation specialist;[62] they have a daughter, Erin Filner, a middle school social studies teacher who lives in Bedford, New York, and a son, Adam Filner, who is married and is the father of two children. Filner was later married to Jane Merrill. At his first news conference after his election as mayor, Filner introduced his fiancee, Bronwyn Ingram, a disability analyst who works for the Social Security Administration.[63] However, on July 8, 2013, she announced via email to a group of her supporters that the engagement had been called off and the relationship is over.[64] In a subsequent statement, Ingram cited Filner's verbal abuse and blatant sexting as reasons for the split. [65]
Sexting must be a weakness borne of liberal ideology as two democratic politicians engaged in the practice.





Edited, Aug 8th 2013 7:15pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
I lost my post
#94 Aug 08 2013 at 11:53 AM Rating: Good
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts
More to it, Gbaji listed infidelity as one of the cardinal sins that Democrats defend but which would cast any Republican into the fiery pits of political job loss.

He assumed that was the case, he didn't need to check because the GOP says it's about fidelity and values. You know, like how the ****'s were socialists, PRC is a republic and Bawndo has what plants crave.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#95gbaji, Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 12:03 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Is that really the best example google could give you? Wasn't that the guy who admitted to visiting a brothel, but it was years before he was elected (and I don't remember if it was prior to him getting married as well). This one kinda falls into the same "learn from your mistakes" aspect which Weiner appears to lack the capability to do.
#96 Aug 08 2013 at 1:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Depends on the infidelity, obviously.

If the adulterous Scotsman is a Democrat it's a HUGE DEAL. If he's a Republican, there's a thousand mitigating factors that make it not count.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#97 Aug 08 2013 at 1:09 PM Rating: Excellent
******
27,272 posts
You know, sometimes when I read a Gbaji post I feel like the American civil war never ended, it just changed shape.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#98 Aug 08 2013 at 1:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
13,369 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
You know, sometimes when I read a Gbaji post I feel like the American civil war never ended, it just changed shape.
Yup, it pretty much underlies much of our politics to this day. Much to the chagrin of those of us living in parts of the country that weren't involved. Nothing like someone trying to make you choose sides in their 150 year old war. Smiley: rolleyes
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#99 Aug 08 2013 at 1:20 PM Rating: Excellent
******
49,737 posts
I like how the staunch defender of the party of family values is now defending levels of infidelity.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#100 Aug 08 2013 at 1:29 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I like how the staunch defender of the party of family values is now defending levels of infidelity.
I believe in the family
with my ever loving wife beside me
but she don't know about my girlfriend
or the man I met last night
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#101gbaji, Posted: Aug 08 2013 at 3:17 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) It's not about defending. It's about acknowledging that those different levels exist and it's ok to respond to them differently. Similarly, the fact that I believe that we should punish someone who steals a car more than someone who steals a candy bar doesn't mean I'm "defending theft". But don't let logic and reason get in the way of the wonderful misrepresentation you've got going on there.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 81 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (81)