Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

UK Asylumites, which class are you?Follow

#52 Apr 10 2013 at 4:54 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,246 posts
ITT: gbaji doesn't know what "theory" means.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#53 Apr 10 2013 at 4:56 PM Rating: Good
Lunatic
******
28,585 posts
I'm obviously not a rocket surgeon though.

Our new neighbor is a PhD astrophysicist. I try to work in "it's not rocket science" whenever I can and then look at him as if I've come up with something completely novel. How I imagine Gbaji looks at everyone, all the time.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. @#%^ off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#54 Apr 10 2013 at 5:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
27,889 posts
Nilatai wrote:
ITT: gbaji doesn't know what "theory" means.


In this, as in every other thread.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#55 Apr 10 2013 at 5:46 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
******
25,526 posts
Smasharoo wrote:
I'm obviously not a rocket surgeon though.

Our new neighbor is a PhD astrophysicist. I try to work in "it's not rocket science" whenever I can and then look at him as if I've come up with something completely novel. How I imagine Gbaji looks at everyone, all the time.
That must be the worst part of his PhD. He can probably count the people who haven't made that joke on one hand.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#56 Apr 11 2013 at 7:29 AM Rating: Excellent
******
41,226 posts
Smasharoo wrote:
How I imagine Gbaji looks at everyone, all the time.
This is how I imagine that.
Screenshot
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#57 Apr 11 2013 at 2:40 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
30,831 posts
Elinda wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Elinda wrote:
gbaji wrote:

Oh, I fully agree with the increased difficulties involved, but the reality is that The result is a marked difference, and one of the reasons why the field is largely considered a joke among science.

Math and methodology make things easy. People make things hard.


It's not about "easy" or "hard". It's about how consistently a field uses scientific method to arrive at conclusions. And Sociology is way down at the bottom of the list of fields that even attempt to label themselves a science in this regard.


Listen Bucko, you're the one who wrote ....most people gravitate into a sociology track in college precisely because they want a field that's less rigid with the methodology and math and the other things that make other subjects "hard". See that up above in the 'quote' box?

You wrote it in explanation as to why scientific method is used inconsistently in social sciences, and why the field is largely considered a joke.


No. I wrote it in an explanation about why students who pursue a degree in sociology tend to be those who view math and reason as "hard", and thus find a degree that doesn't require much of it. Responding to that with a statement like "But figuring out people is hard too!" is you introducing a completely different metric to measure "hard" by and doesn't at all address the core issue I was talking about.

Let me clarify my response then: There are different kinds of "easy" and "hard". People who gravitate towards sociology are those who tend to find math and science "hard", but may find writing about people "easy". Does that make more sense?

Quote:
I hear more and better jokes about engineers than sociologists.


Sure. Because we expect engineers to be intelligent, so it's funny when they're not. Making jokes about sociologists is like making jokes about the retarded fat kid.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#58 Apr 11 2013 at 2:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
10,366 posts
We could just universalize it and say people gravitate toward tasks they're comparatively good at.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#59 Apr 11 2013 at 2:42 PM Rating: Excellent
Lunatic
******
28,585 posts
No. I wrote it in an explanation about why students who pursue a degree in sociology tend to be those who view math and reason as "hard", and thus find a degree that doesn't require much of it.

You're thinking of degrees in *social work*. Not at all the same thing.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. @#%^ off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#60 Apr 11 2013 at 3:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
14,812 posts
gbaji wrote:

Let me clarify my response then: There are different kinds of "easy" and "hard". People who gravitate towards sociology are those who tend to find math and science "hard", but may find writing about people "easy". Does that make more sense?

Sure it makes sense if you're comparing writers to scientists. But that's not really the issue is it?

When I was in college the engineering students were dubbed as the ones taking the easy route to a science degree.

Edited, Apr 11th 2013 11:15pm by Elinda
____________________________
LOOK here.
#61 Apr 11 2013 at 3:23 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
30,831 posts
Smasharoo wrote:
No. I wrote it in an explanation about why students who pursue a degree in sociology tend to be those who view math and reason as "hard", and thus find a degree that doesn't require much of it.

You're thinking of degrees in *social work*. Not at all the same thing.


No. I'm thinking of degrees in sociology. It's the field that even folks in other soft sciences like history, archeology, basketweaving, etc make fun of.

Edited, Apr 11th 2013 2:24pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#62 Apr 11 2013 at 3:30 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
30,831 posts
Elinda wrote:
gbaji wrote:

Let me clarify my response then: There are different kinds of "easy" and "hard". People who gravitate towards sociology are those who tend to find math and science "hard", but may find writing about people "easy". Does that make more sense?

Sure it makes sense if you're comparing writers to scientists. But that's not really the issue is it?


It's pretty close to the issue. In fact, creative writing and sociology have a hell of a lot in common now that you mention it.

Quote:
When I was in college the engineering students were dubbed as the ones taking the easy route to a science degree.


That's because Engineering is an actual science degree, while Sociology isn't. Hence the difference between "BS" and "BA". Different context for the term "science" in this case.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#63 Apr 11 2013 at 3:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
Avatar
*****
10,366 posts
Biologists perspective:

Everyone finds their niche. Someplace where you're comparatively better than others, and can succeed with the least effort. In a social species like ours people will argue their niche is the most important, best etc. "We should do things my way..." The more people you can get playing your game the better, because you're better at it, you win in a sense. Your niche grows, and there's more potential for you. If you can shrink the niche of those who are good at things you aren't, well that's even better. "That doesn't matter, nobody cares if you're good at x,y,z..." It lessens the chance of you having to do something you're not good at, increases your relative group standing, etc.

Evolution, man. It all comes back to it. Smiley: tinfoilhat
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#64 Apr 11 2013 at 4:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
27,889 posts
All I need to know is that Gbaji equates history and archaeology with basketweaving in terms of intellectual challenge and worth.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#65 Apr 11 2013 at 5:00 PM Rating: Excellent
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,528 posts

There are some scientists on this board, and I'm sure we all know a few in real life. Have any of you ever heard one of them mocking sociology? I sure haven't. In fact I haven't heard it mocked by anyone, really.

Sometimes people make fun of those seemingly obvious studies, like "Study finds women are attracted to men with bigger penises," but that's mocking a specific study that's being used as clickbait by a news site, not mocking the profession as a whole. My best guess is that Rush Limbaugh mocks it regularly and that's where his notion comes from?
____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#66 Apr 11 2013 at 5:18 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
30,831 posts
trickybeck wrote:
Sometimes people make fun of those seemingly obvious studies, like "Study finds women are attracted to men with bigger penises," but that's mocking a specific study that's being used as clickbait by a news site, not mocking the profession as a whole.


It's entirely possible that the bad rap for Sociology comes from the fact that virtually the only evidence of their work outside of pure academia is this sort of study though. But then, if one measures the value of something based on utility, isn't that still a relevant critique? Isn't how a field affects us kinda important? So when we compare fields that produce cell phones, computers, space stations, and suspension bridges to one which produces reports on how women are attracted to wealthy men with large penises, I think it's fair to judge sociology on that basis.

I'm sure they do lots of important things that no one ever knows about, but that's kinda the point, isn't it?


Quote:
My best guess is that Rush Limbaugh mocks it regularly and that's where his notion comes from?


If that's your best bet, you should try again.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#67 Apr 11 2013 at 5:26 PM Rating: Good
Tracer Bullet
*****
12,528 posts
trickybeck wrote:
There are some scientists on this board, and I'm sure we all know a few in real life. Have any of you ever heard one of them mocking sociology? I sure haven't.
____________________________
Na Zdrowie
#68 Apr 11 2013 at 5:27 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
It's entirely possible that the bad rap for Sociology comes from the fact that virtually the only evidence of their work outside of pure academia is this sort of study though.

Screenshot
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#69 Apr 12 2013 at 7:09 AM Rating: Good
Lunatic
******
28,585 posts
It's entirely possible that the bad rap for Sociology comes from the fact that virtually the only evidence of their work outside of pure academia is this sort of study though.

Fascinating. To be clear, you've become convinced that probably the field that likely has the most personal impact on you and your life choices is laughable and should be ignored. I wonder who decided you should think that. I'm kidding, I know, All of your ideas, and that's in no way an exaggeration, ALL OF THEM, are designed by someone in my field to fit your personality. You're a member of an exceptionally predictable demographic. With a more complete demographic picture I can probably tell you what brand of shoes you wear. If you don't see the power in that, that's fine, in fact it's the idea. Your argument amounts to "The Tobacco Institute says smoking increases awareness. Everyone I know laughs at that cancer stuff."



____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. @#%^ off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#70 Apr 12 2013 at 7:19 AM Rating: Excellent
******
41,226 posts
I'd ask what sciences are legitimate to him, and it'd probably be his shortest post ever.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#71 Apr 12 2013 at 7:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Shit, I don't even know what brand of shoes I wear.

Just looked. Wearing Adidas sneakers at the moment.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#72 Apr 12 2013 at 7:23 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,008 posts
I'm wearing a 30 dollar pair of steel toed work shoes from Wal-mart. Probably assembled by some 10 year old in some Eastern European or Southeast Asian country... but I'm ok with that. They are better at making shoes than I am.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#73 Apr 12 2013 at 7:25 AM Rating: Good
******
41,226 posts
Combat boots. Smiley: thumbsup
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#74 Apr 12 2013 at 7:32 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
14,812 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Shit, I don't even know what brand of shoes I wear.

Just looked. Wearing Adidas sneakers at the moment.
Smiley: lol Casual Friday?


____________________________
LOOK here.
#75 Apr 12 2013 at 7:33 AM Rating: Good
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,886 posts
Classic black Fitflops. Comfiest. Shoes. Ever. I intend to wear them all through winter, without socks, because I can walk 3 times further in them than any other shoe. When I'm being classy I wear the beige Fitflops with the leather flowers on top.
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#76 Apr 12 2013 at 7:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Casual office. Provided it doesn't have holes or other obvious issues, about anything goes. Most people (including the owners) wear jeans. I used to wear khakis or slacks when I started but gradually got worn down to denim status myself. Save my good pants and shoes for when I have a meeting outside the office.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#77 Apr 12 2013 at 7:38 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
14,812 posts
I just ordered these. They're pretty dam ugly, but they're Tevas and much more acceptable for the office than my old classic Tevas.
____________________________
LOOK here.
#78 Apr 12 2013 at 8:21 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
25,526 posts
Currently wearing cheap light brown canvas sneakers because I just cleaned up my bucks and CDB's.

I could really use some more shoes though...
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#79 Apr 12 2013 at 8:38 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,008 posts
When I first started working at my current job, I was asked to wear button up or polo shirts. Technically I was an office employee, being an engineer and all. But after ruining every shirt I had because I was constantly working on the shop floor, inside machines, underneath things, crawling in oil filled pits, I just stopped. They haven't said anything yet and it's been about 5 years. I still put a nicer shirt on when I go out to visit a customer or something, but I wear jeans. Unless they spring the trip on me. I'll come into work wearing a tshirt and jeans and they'll tell me "Hey, wanna go visit XY today?"
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#80 Apr 12 2013 at 8:50 AM Rating: Excellent
Lunatic
******
28,585 posts
I'd ask what sciences are legitimate to him, and it'd probably be his shortest post ever.

Well, obviously if it supports intelligent design or the idea than humans can't effect the temperature of the planet, then any degree will do. Elizabethan poetry? You're now a climate scientist with equal status to any other and your opinion can be used in tallies like "most scientists...."
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. @#%^ off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#81 Apr 12 2013 at 9:09 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
*****
19,469 posts
Everyone in my office wears blue polo shirts and khakis. The doctors didn't recognize us as IT employees when we wore business casual, so they mocked up our uniform to resemble the Best Buy uniform. Problem solved.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#82 Apr 12 2013 at 9:12 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,246 posts
Catwho wrote:
Everyone in my office wears blue polo shirts and khakis. The doctors didn't recognize us as IT employees when we wore business casual, so they mocked up our uniform to resemble the Best Buy uniform. Problem solved.


Surely you could have all just worn nametags?
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#83 Apr 12 2013 at 9:16 AM Rating: Good
Lunatic
******
28,585 posts
Surely you could have all just worn nametags?

Hard to read from a distance. I don't know the office environment in question, but any of the hospitals I've been in recently required large badge IDs on lanyards that use about the last third for color coded role text. "MD", "RN", "VENDOR" etc.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a whore. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? Gay. Your priest? Straight. @#%^ off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#84 Apr 12 2013 at 9:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
25,526 posts
TirithRR wrote:
When I first started working at my current job, I was asked to wear button up or polo shirts. Technically I was an office employee, being an engineer and all. But after ruining every shirt I had because I was constantly working on the shop floor, inside machines, underneath things, crawling in oil filled pits, I just stopped. They haven't said anything yet and it's been about 5 years. I still put a nicer shirt on when I go out to visit a customer or something, but I wear jeans. Unless they spring the trip on me. I'll come into work wearing a tshirt and jeans and they'll tell me "Hey, wanna go visit XY today?"
yeah as long as you're not visiting clients and just working inside the company itself, as long as your clothes don't fall apart and are reasonable for the work you do it should probably be ok.

Edited, Apr 12th 2013 5:52pm by Aethien
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#85 Apr 12 2013 at 9:55 AM Rating: Good
******
41,226 posts
I go to work in jeans and a shirt, and change into my uniform in the locker room. I change out when I go to lunch and going home as well. It's just easier traveling incognito. Also, totally feel like a super hero.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#86 Apr 12 2013 at 10:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Be better if you wore your uniform under your clothes.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#87 Apr 12 2013 at 10:34 AM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,008 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Be better if you wore your uniform under your clothes.


And then clothes under the uniform?
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#88 Apr 12 2013 at 10:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
And then wore a poncho over it all.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#89 Apr 12 2013 at 10:45 AM Rating: Good
******
41,226 posts
Not unless I get a digi-camo sombrero.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#90 Apr 12 2013 at 10:46 AM Rating: Excellent
I like Rockport shoes.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#91 Apr 12 2013 at 11:33 AM Rating: Excellent
We started talking about clothes, how wonderful Smiley: nod It is funny how dress can mark your social standing in a company/group but it can also be very deceiving especially in the IT field.

TirithRR wrote:
When I first started working at my current job, I was asked to wear button up or polo shirts. Technically I was an office employee, being an engineer and all. But after ruining every shirt I had because I was constantly working on the shop floor, inside machines, underneath things, crawling in oil filled pits, I just stopped. They haven't said anything yet and it's been about 5 years. I still put a nicer shirt on when I go out to visit a customer or something, but I wear jeans. Unless they spring the trip on me. I'll come into work wearing a tshirt and jeans and they'll tell me "Hey, wanna go visit XY today?"


This made me think of an incident some years ago now when I was working on-site. 3 of us finished for the day, drove to the hotel and walked into the hotel lift. We had been in system rooms all day and were in polo tops and pants. A man walked into the lift behind us in a fairly cheap business suit and he looked down at us before sneering and pressing his floor number. A colleague then swiped his exec floor pass and selected our floor (it was restricted access). The man looked more than a little surprised. He had judged us purely on our dress.






#92 Apr 12 2013 at 11:49 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
*****
19,469 posts
Nilatai wrote:
Catwho wrote:
Everyone in my office wears blue polo shirts and khakis. The doctors didn't recognize us as IT employees when we wore business casual, so they mocked up our uniform to resemble the Best Buy uniform. Problem solved.


Surely you could have all just worn nametags?


When a doctor can't view his X-rays, he doesn't give a sh*t about what your name is. All he knows is he needs an IT guy, and there's a dude in a blue best buy shirt so that must be him.

That said, we do have lanyards with our names on them as well. We're still referred to interchangeably by the majority of people (by gender, anyway. There are three guy techs and they are all known to the doctors as "Ken" and there are three girl techs and we are all known to the doctors as "Jenna.")
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and the League of Extraordinary Crafters
#93 Apr 12 2013 at 12:20 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
14,812 posts
Catwho wrote:

..... there are three girl techs and we are all known to the doctors as "Jenna.")

Shoulda went with Barbie.
____________________________
LOOK here.
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 73 All times are in CDT