Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Busy Week for the SCotUSFollow

#1 Jun 25 2012 at 8:42 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
No health care ruling will be handed down today. Instead we got...

-- A 5-4 decision that sentencing a minor to life without parole violates their 8th Amendment rights
-- A 5-4 decision striking down a Montana state law limiting corporate campaign contributions, thus strengthening the Citizen United ruling (since that was more federal and this ruling means states can not choose for themselves to restrict it further)
-- A 5-3 decision to strike most of Arizona's immigration law as an infringement upon the federal government. The bit about asking for proof of citizenship at traffic stops was not directly addressed and may be struck down in future racial profiling cases that were not part of this case. Justice Kagan sat this one out due to previous work on the case with the administration. The bits struck criminalized being in the country illegally and empowering state officers to arrest someone for immigration violations.

Health care to come on Thursday, I assume.

Edited, Jun 25th 2012 10:06am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#2 Jun 25 2012 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
******
44,271 posts
Minors have it easy. Smiley: mad
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Jun 25 2012 at 10:00 AM Rating: Good
***
2,806 posts
I tried to read the actual decision on the Arizona immigration law, but I was having trouble finding a good online legal dictionary by the end of the first paragraph.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#4 Jun 25 2012 at 10:57 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,216 posts
Last week, the SCOTUS ruled against the Cali Public Employee Unions practice of collecting fees from non-members for politicking. I'm ok with the basic decision. However, I think Alito over-stepped his jurisdiction by also declaring that the process needs to be one of an 'opt-in' versus the standard m.o. of the non-member employee having to opt out and/or seek reimbursement. Compound this with today's ruling striking down campaign contribution limits from corporations in MT and it could mean even tougher roads ahead for the unions.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#5 Jun 25 2012 at 12:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
A correction/clarification no one likely cares about: mandatory life sentences for minors was deemed unconstitutional. They can still be meted out on an individual basis as the judge feels appropriate.

Edited, Jun 25th 2012 1:40pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#6 Jun 25 2012 at 3:07 PM Rating: Decent
Prodigal Son
******
20,013 posts
I keep feeling there's an 'r' missing somewhere...
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#7 Jun 26 2012 at 12:21 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,278 posts
Elinda wrote:
Last week, the SCOTUS ruled against the Cali Public Employee Unions practice of collecting fees from non-members for politicking. I'm ok with the basic decision. However, I think Alito over-stepped his jurisdiction by also declaring that the process needs to be one of an 'opt-in' versus the standard m.o. of the non-member employee having to opt out and/or seek reimbursement. Compound this with today's ruling striking down campaign contribution limits from corporations in MT and it could mean even tougher roads ahead for the unions.



You can opt out of the unions(and their fees/dues) in the US? Lucky.
____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#8 Jun 26 2012 at 6:23 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,216 posts
Driftwood wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Last week, the SCOTUS ruled against the Cali Public Employee Unions practice of collecting fees from non-members for politicking. I'm ok with the basic decision. However, I think Alito over-stepped his jurisdiction by also declaring that the process needs to be one of an 'opt-in' versus the standard m.o. of the non-member employee having to opt out and/or seek reimbursement. Compound this with today's ruling striking down campaign contribution limits from corporations in MT and it could mean even tougher roads ahead for the unions.



You can opt out of the unions(and their fees/dues) in the US? Lucky.

Dues no - currently the unions can take dues from all employees covered by their bargaining i believe. This ruling was for fees used to lobby some legislation.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#9 Jun 26 2012 at 8:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,461 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I tried to read the actual decision on the Arizona immigration law, but I was having trouble finding a good online legal dictionary by the end of the first paragraph.

A good breakdown from ABC news blog, and in case that is perceived to have a liberal slant, I looked for Fox News' breakdown of the decision, but the closest I could come was this, which is a reprint of a Wall Street Journal article.

As a funny aside, here is an article highlighting Fox News vs. Fox News Latino's two different takes on the same story. Wonder how long these two can peacefully coexist. Maybe (hopefully) it will come to this:



Edited, Jun 26th 2012 9:55am by Atomicflea
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

#10 Jun 26 2012 at 9:00 AM Rating: Good
******
44,271 posts
There needs to be a Fantasy Anchorman MMA League.

I'd recruit Lou Dobbs.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#11 Jun 26 2012 at 11:23 AM Rating: Good
***
2,806 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
There needs to be a Fantasy Anchorman MMA League.

I'd recruit Lou Dobbs.


If you've ever read the comic strip "Dustin", they had about a 2 week storyline where the title character and his sister created a computer program that would simulate cage fights between political pundits. It was pretty funny.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#12 Jun 26 2012 at 5:24 PM Rating: Excellent
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,097 posts
http://articles.cnn.com/2012-06-25/politics/politics_scotus-arizona-law_1_arizona-immigration-law-immigration-status-arizona-association?_s=PM:POLITICS

Quote:
President Barack Obama also expressed concern that immigration status checks allowed by Monday's ruling could lead to racial profiling by police. In a written statement, Obama said, "No American should ever live under a cloud of suspicion just because of what they look like."

Administration officials announced Thursday that they have canceled agreements that allowed some Arizona police departments to enforce federal immigration laws, and the Justice Department set up a telephone hotline and e-mail address for the public to report civil rights concerns about the law's enforcement.


I couldn't find a news article solely about this, mostly because I was too lazy (everything I found focused on Gov. Brewer's catty response, which isn't really "news").

So after the SCotUS upholds the so-called "show me your papers" portion of the Arizona law as constitutional and not pre-emptive of existing federal law, the White House all but removes Arizona's ability to enforce it. Sure, they said it was only because of "the department's policy of prioritizing how it spends its resources", and tied it back to the recent discretionary change in deportation enforcement policy, but the timing is hilariously suspect whether intentional or not.

ETA: It helps contextualize to add that this change in federal support effects only Arizona.

Edited, Jun 26th 2012 6:25pm by Demea
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#13 Jun 26 2012 at 5:54 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I'm not sure what agreements they had with Arizona or what they have with other states but the point of the court case was that AZ was infringing upon federal duties with its laws. With the laws now struck, it would seem logical that there's less need for empowering state officers since the point was that they shouldn't HAVE that power in lieu of the feds.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#14 Jun 26 2012 at 8:10 PM Rating: Decent
Lunatic
******
29,480 posts

Health care to come on Thursday, I assume.


They punt to 2014, big yawn, 9000 hours of meaningless news coverage.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#15 Jun 26 2012 at 9:10 PM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,461 posts
Demea wrote:
http://articles.cnn.com/2012-06-25/politics/politics_scotus-arizona-law_1_arizona-immigration-law-immigration-status-arizona-association?_s=PM:POLITICS

Quote:
President Barack Obama also expressed concern that immigration status checks allowed by Monday's ruling could lead to racial profiling by police. In a written statement, Obama said, "No American should ever live under a cloud of suspicion just because of what they look like."

Administration officials announced Thursday that they have canceled agreements that allowed some Arizona police departments to enforce federal immigration laws, and the Justice Department set up a telephone hotline and e-mail address for the public to report civil rights concerns about the law's enforcement.


I couldn't find a news article solely about this, mostly because I was too lazy (everything I found focused on Gov. Brewer's catty response, which isn't really "news").

So after the SCotUS upholds the so-called "show me your papers" portion of the Arizona law as constitutional and not pre-emptive of existing federal law, the White House all but removes Arizona's ability to enforce it. Sure, they said it was only because of "the department's policy of prioritizing how it spends its resources", and tied it back to the recent discretionary change in deportation enforcement policy, but the timing is hilariously suspect whether intentional or not.

ETA: It helps contextualize to add that this change in federal support effects only Arizona.

Edited, Jun 26th 2012 6:25pm by Demea

I'm not sure about what agreements AZ had with the feds that allowed them to enforce immigration laws, but calling it amnesty is ludicrous. The SOP of putting a detainer on someone in state custody for committing a crime and allowing that person to be picked up by immigration for being a criminal who is present illegally is still in place, as always. These people do not fall under the guidelines for prosecutorial discretion or the old Dream Act guidelines, so they're still out. If anything, it only enforces the current way of doing business. A lot of sound and fury, really.
____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 58 All times are in CST