Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

US Appeals Court Rules Against DOMAFollow

#52 Jun 08 2012 at 12:27 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,826 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Quote:
Again, does anyone actually think that over 50% of the voters in California just hate *** people?

To be fair, I'm sure a healthy percentage of them don't so much hate *** people as much as they just do whatever the GOP tells them to do and rationalize to themselves later Smiley: smile


If it was any state other than California, your argument might hold a couple of drops of water.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#53 Jun 08 2012 at 12:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Woooooosh
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#54 Jun 08 2012 at 1:44 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Message has high abuse count and will not be displayed.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#55 Jun 08 2012 at 1:46 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Woooooosh


Really?
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#56 Jun 08 2012 at 1:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I was making a joke. Not that I don't think there's some truth to it but I'm not interested in debating the point with you. I've talked about state bans recently enough that you can look it up if you care enough.

Great work typing a couple large paragraphs in response though Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#57 Jun 08 2012 at 1:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
gbaji wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Woooooosh
Really?

Ummm.... Wooooosh to you then too, I guess.

Between you and BDJ, I can see why Fox's "Half Hour News Hour" was such a big hit Smiley: laugh


Edited, Jun 8th 2012 2:49pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#58 Jun 08 2012 at 2:14 PM Rating: Excellent
Sniping Sweetpea
*****
18,463 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Quote:
Again, does anyone actually think that over 50% of the voters in California just hate *** people?

To be fair, I'm sure a healthy percentage of them don't so much hate *** people as much as they just do whatever the GOP tells them to do and rationalize to themselves later Smiley: smile

Some honestly think of homosexuality as an illness-they feel pity for teh gays, and while pity is very Christian of them, they hope you kindly understand that baby Jesus didn't mean for you to marry, so sorry.
Some think that it's pointless, the divorce rate is so high and plus there are bigger issues so quit your whining you horny gheys, and move on. Who cares.
Some like individual gheys, nothing against them, but just don't care to get off the couch enough to vote for that or any other issue. Sucks (ha!) for you, gheys.
It's not nearly as cut-and-dry as hate. People are very attached to certain stances, even if those stances involve apathy. For example, I shudder to think how KFC kills chickens, but I'll be damned if I can quit eating meat, so I just choose not to think about it.
What I'm saying is *** marriage is some people's inhumane chicken slaughter.

____________________________
That's the kind of dude
I was lookin' for
And yes you'll get slapped
if you're lookin', ho

#59 Jun 08 2012 at 6:14 PM Rating: Default
***
2,826 posts
Jophiel wrote:
gbaji wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Woooooosh
Really?

Ummm.... Wooooosh to you then too, I guess.

Between you and BDJ, I can see why Fox's "Half Hour News Hour" was such a big hit Smiley: laugh


Edited, Jun 8th 2012 2:49pm by Jophiel


Excuse the **** out of me for not catching the one time you're making a joke about the evil Republicans, since most of the time you (or somebody else on this board) is bashing them in earnest.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#60 Jun 08 2012 at 6:23 PM Rating: Good
Will swallow your soul
******
29,226 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
Quote:
Again, does anyone actually think that over 50% of the voters in California just hate *** people?

To be fair, I'm sure a healthy percentage of them don't so much hate *** people as much as they just do whatever the GOP tells them to do and rationalize to themselves later Smiley: smile


If it was any state other than California, your argument might hold a couple of drops of water.



You know how I know you don't know squat about California?

It's a big state. Lots of people, lots of opinions.
____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#61 Jun 08 2012 at 6:34 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Excuse the **** out of me for not catching the one time you're making a joke about the evil Republicans, since most of the time you (or somebody else on this board) is bashing them in earnest.

The important thing is that you handled it gracefully.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#62 Jun 08 2012 at 6:39 PM Rating: Good
There was also the issue of the Mormon church spending 20 million dollars in California to misinform the public about what Prop 8 would do. They came up with stuff like: force schools to teach kids about homosexuality in *** ed, force churches to marry homosexual couples or lose tax exempt status, and churches getting sued for promoting hate speech for speaking out against homosexuality. The first two at least, were untrue. The third had absolutely nothing to do with the Prop 8 to begin with, and has everything to do with hate speech laws.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 100 Priest
Thelesis, 91 Mage
Necralita, 90 DK
Digits, 87 Shaman
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#63 Jun 11 2012 at 7:27 AM Rating: Good
******
49,676 posts
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Excuse the **** out of me for not catching the one time you're making a joke about the evil Republicans, since most of the time you (or somebody else on this board) is bashing them in earnest.
Then your sense of humor detector is on the fritz.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#64 Jun 11 2012 at 7:51 AM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,566 posts
PigtailsOfDoom wrote:
There was also the issue of the Mormon church spending 20 million dollars in California to misinform the public about what Prop 8 would do. They came up with stuff like: force schools to teach kids about homosexuality in *** ed, force churches to marry homosexual couples or lose tax exempt status, and churches getting sued for promoting hate speech for speaking out against homosexuality. The first two at least, were untrue. The third had absolutely nothing to do with the Prop 8 to begin with, and has everything to do with hate speech laws.

Hate speech laws: the good kind of censorship! Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
Jophiel wrote:
I managed to be both retarded and entertaining.

#65 Jun 11 2012 at 4:44 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts

lolgaxe wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
Excuse the **** out of me for not catching the one time you're making a joke about the evil Republicans, since most of the time you (or somebody else on this board) is bashing them in earnest.

Then your sense of humor detector is on the fritz.


Or someone just claims he was joking after the fact. I'm curious, since you have a perfectly functioning humor detector, if you could tell me which of these is a joke and which isn't:


Jophiel wrote:
Demea wrote:
Edit: and by that, I don't mean this case specifically, but rather the fight for *** marriage in general throughout the country, state by state.

I think it will. I showed the aggregate polling over the last 10-15 years in a previous thread and we've just hit parity for support versus opposition whereas you don't have to go far back to find 10 or 20 point spreads against it. It will take time for state legislatures to roll over enough to overturn laws or re-amend their constitutions and some states will of course hold out much longer than others (such as the N. Carolina vote). But the trend certainly seems to be in favor of SSM and I think eventually you'll even have GOP controlled legislatures allowing it.

One thing I didn't expect is that you're seeing a lot more acceptance of SSM since Obama came out openly in favor of it. Assuming these new numbers are legitimate, that can have a real impact going forward as African-Americans were one of the bastions of support anti-SSM advocates depended on (again, see N. Carolina and California).


Sure seems to be serious when talking about polling data.

Bigdaddyjug wrote:
I would wager that a lot of people who vote Republican don't personally have an issue with SSM, and would answer either in favor of or not opposed to SSM when asked for a poll. The people they elect aren't going to pass any proposals putting an SSM initiative on the ballot, though.


Jophiel wrote:
That's because the people they elect go through a primary process that favors those who are against SSM because most Republicans (at least Republican primary voters) DO care. The fewer who care, the less often it'll matter in the primary process and the more people favorably inclined will take office.


Sure seems to be serious when speaking about legislatures opposing SSM.

Jophiel wrote:
Bigdaddyjug wrote:
The vocal minority that is strongly against SSM isn't shrinking in numbers, it's just shrinking in percentage

You're aware of how we determine who wins an election, right?


Sure seems to be serious when talking about people voting here too.

Jophiel wrote:
Heh... I actually "get" what he's trying to say but he's missing the point. The more marginalized the strident anti-SSM vote is, the less it'll matter. Eventually you'll have politicians who are pro-SSM or just don't care but who are better qualified than whatever homophobe is running on the anti-SSM ticket and they will win. Won't happen today or tomorrow but I'm sure that's the direction we're headed. How long it takes will depend on how it takes for some people to stop living in terror of teh gheyz.


Seems to be serious here also.

Jophiel wrote:
Quote:
Again, does anyone actually think that over 50% of the voters in California just hate *** people?

To be fair, I'm sure a healthy percentage of them don't so much hate *** people as much as they just do whatever the GOP tells them to do and rationalize to themselves later Smiley: smile


Ah... But this one is a joke, right? Please tell me you're kidding. If it's a joke, it's a pretty lame one. And what's with being dead serious when talking about polling numbers on *** marriage, but suddenly shifting to a joke when the issue of the people actually voting comes up? Isn't the latter more important? He seemed to be serious when talking about how people are elected, so why joke when someone talks about how people vote directly for issues on the ballot? Why is one important, but the other not?

Seems like he switched to joking when he realized that he didn't have an actual real response. Which is funny given how seriously he took the issue right up to that point.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#66 Jun 11 2012 at 4:46 PM Rating: Excellent
******
49,676 posts
gbaji wrote:
Or someone just claims he was joking after the fact. I'm curious, since you have a perfectly functioning humor detector, if you could tell me which of these is a joke and which isn't:
Well, the lengths you're going to cry about it is certainly not that funny.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#67 Jun 11 2012 at 5:06 PM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#68 Jun 11 2012 at 5:07 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
How about we talk about the lengths some people will go to avoid acknowledging a fact that disputes their position? That's some serious denial going on there. The fact is that all the polling aside, every single time "the people" have voted on extending marriage benefits to *** couples, they have rejected it. What's so strange is that despite this, people like Joph will confidently post about polls showing that the majority favors that very change.


Clearly, they don't. At least not when and where it really matters.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#69 Jun 11 2012 at 5:09 PM Rating: Excellent
******
49,676 posts
gbaji wrote:
How about we talk about the lengths some people will go to avoid acknowledging a fact that disputes their position?
It is your field of expertise.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#70 Jun 11 2012 at 5:15 PM Rating: Excellent
***
1,000 posts
Yes, a majority group voting on the rights of a minority group has always worked soooo well.
____________________________
Come on Bill, let's go home
[ffxisig]63311[/ffxisig]
#71 Jun 11 2012 at 5:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Jophiel wrote:
I was making a joke. Not that I don't think there's some truth to it but I'm not interested in debating the point with you. I've talked about state bans recently enough that you can look it up if you care enough.

Great work typing a couple large paragraphs in response though Smiley: laugh

____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#72 Jun 11 2012 at 5:59 PM Rating: Good
Lunatic
******
30,084 posts

The fact is that all the polling aside, every single time "the people" have voted on extending marriage benefits to *** couples, they have rejected it.


True. Fortunately, your idiot state has done a great job of making the obvious case that what "the people" vote for means **** all.
____________________________
Disclaimer:

To make a long story short, I don't take any responsibility for anything I post here. It's not news, it's not truth, it's not serious. It's parody. It's satire. It's bitter. It's angsty. Your mother's a *****. You like to jack off dogs. That's right, you heard me. You like to grab that dog by the bone and rub it like a ski pole. Your dad? ***. Your priest? Straight. **** off and let me post. It's not true, it's all in good fun. Now go away.

#73 Jun 11 2012 at 6:29 PM Rating: Default
Encyclopedia
******
34,867 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Jophiel wrote:
I was making a joke. Not that I don't think there's some truth to it but I'm not interested in debating the point with you. I've talked about state bans recently enough that you can look it up if you care enough.

Great work typing a couple large paragraphs in response though Smiley: laugh



Jophiel wrote:
You're aware of how we determine who wins an election what ballot initiatives succeed, right?



I'll give you a hint: It's not based on media polls. You made this point Joph. Yet your own logic ignores it. Votes matter, not polls.


And Smash? The degree to which your logic works applies double for opinion polls. If people voting on election day means nothing, then the polls Joph keeps placing such weight on mean even less. I didn't think I needed to spell this out for you guys, but there you have it. I don't have an issue with someone insisting that the votes are rigged, or voters manipulated, or whatever. But the same **** person should not then insist that the results of an opinion poll must be true. Because that's just stupid as all ****. Right?
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#74 Jun 11 2012 at 6:40 PM Rating: Good
gbaji wrote:
How about we talk about the lengths some people will go to avoid acknowledging a fact that disputes their position? That's some serious denial going on there. The fact is that all the polling aside, every single time "the people" have voted on extending marriage benefits to *** couples, they have rejected it. What's so strange is that despite this, people like Joph will confidently post about polls showing that the majority favors that very change.


Clearly, they don't. At least not when and where it really matters.


You do realize that the polls are recent right? Like within the last six months or so. We've had marriage initiatives making the rounds for close to ten years now.

Aside from that, I take issue with the way you keep phrasing this. You keep saying "voting on extending marriage benefits." That hasn't been the way the measures have been phrased. There's a difference between extending marriage benefits, and changing your state constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman only, which is what HAS been happening.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 100 Priest
Thelesis, 91 Mage
Necralita, 90 DK
Digits, 87 Shaman
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#75 Jun 12 2012 at 7:19 AM Rating: Good
******
49,676 posts
gbaji wrote:
I don't have an issue with someone insisting that the votes are rigged, or voters manipulated, or whatever.
I would imagine not, as you're usually the one insisting voters are being manipulated.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#76 Jun 12 2012 at 8:23 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I suppose I'd feel worse if this hadn't all been addressed before. Horses and water, I guess.

Edited, Jun 12th 2012 9:23am by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 48 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (48)