Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

RIFTFollow

#52 Apr 04 2012 at 4:42 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
Jophiel wrote:
someproteinguy wrote:
As much as everyone jabbers on about it here I'm actually considering downloading it and trying it out myself. You know, like then I can take a break from replaying old FF games. Smiley: nod

I think it's going on a big sale soon (within the next day or two) on Amazon. Keep an eye on the deals thread in the Other Games forum.


It's worth getting the ultimate edition if you can, imo. Some of the DLC is pathetic, but others are definitely worthwhile. And if you can get the core game, Awakening, and all the DLC for <=$20, it's worth it. The disc version is on sale at Amazon for $17 right now.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#53 Apr 04 2012 at 4:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Nadenu wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Btw, Game Informer has an article in this months issue about Rift as it turns one year old. From what I read, it seemed pretty positive.


Rift is fun. But with me not working, I really can't justify paying for two MMO subs. I suppose I could let my EQ2 sub go F2P for a while and pay for Rift for a couple of months. While the questing and grouping is nothing new in that game, the rifts and invasions are pretty fun. Thing is, that's all there is to that game. So it really doesn't hold my attention for more than a month or two. There's tons of crap to do in EQ2 that doesn't always involve a lot of fighting or questing, so that's what keeps drawing me back.


Like what, may I ask? Not being an ***, I just know next to nothing about EQ2. I've been vaguely interested in trying it for a long time, and did once, but the controls bugged me. I'd be curious to see if it's something I'd enjoy playing on a purely F2P basis.

If you're into crafting, EQ2 has some of the best out there. It also has the best ingame housing, IMO. So if you feel like playing but not necessarily going out to rape and pillage, you can stay home, make some armor or furniture, then decorate your house and submit it to be rated on the leaderboards (this is totally optional).

Here's some examples. I was going to link the Homeshow forum on the official forums, but I can't get that to load for some reason.
http://eq2decorators.com/ideagallery.html

One thing that is a weakness for a lot of people are the collections. There are these glowing spots on the ground that you harvest and when you examine them, you have the option to add it to a collection. Once the collection is completed, you turn it in for exp, coin, armor, house items, etc. "Shiny" hunting is highly addictive and can be a very good source of income.

Then there are the Lore and Legend quests. Those involve killing, but you're killing certain mobs that drop items used in the L&L quest. When you complete these, you gain access to a special type of attack that's effective against that particular mob, and a couple of items for your house. Trophies.

Another thing that still requires fighting but with a different twist is the dungeon maker. It's like a cross between housing and fighting. There are people that just create dungeons and hardly ever run them, and then people that run them for the tokens and never create one at all. I think it's a pretty cool idea and you can get some nice stuff from them. Making them requires and expansion that's not included with F2P, but running them is available to everyone.

Ok, that's long enough, haha.
#54 Apr 04 2012 at 4:50 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
Wow, that sounds like crack for me. I really miss in-game housing. TOR gives you your own ship, which is nice, but as of right now you can't decorate it. You can upgrade its battle capabilities, and patch 1.2 will let you purchase some other useful upgrades, but the actual decorations/setup is built into the design. I'd love it if you could make aesthetic changes...

And the collection thing could certainly absorb some of my time...

Okay, sold, I'll try it out. :P Thanks!
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#55 Apr 04 2012 at 4:55 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
Idiggory, what TOR server are you on, anyway?
____________________________
Banh
#56 Apr 04 2012 at 4:56 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
It's worth getting the ultimate edition if you can, imo. Some of the DLC is pathetic, but others are definitely worthwhile. And if you can get the core game, Awakening, and all the DLC for <=$20, it's worth it. The disc version is on sale at Amazon for $17 right now.

DA Pack (DA:O Ultimate + DA2) for $9.95 I believe when it goes on sale. Which makes sense -- GamersGate had the same deal like a week ago.

Edited, Apr 4th 2012 5:57pm by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#57 Apr 04 2012 at 5:00 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
That would definitely be worth it for anyone who hasn't played.^^

[EDIT]

I'm on The Constant in TOR. But I'm seriously considering moving to a higher population server. Mine is like the 95th most populated out of the 123 servers. I think I might move over to Elysium, which is 35th or so. Still debating that, but trying to power through chapter 1 on it, anyway, to claim my Legacy name.

Edited, Apr 4th 2012 7:10pm by idiggory
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#58 Apr 04 2012 at 5:00 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
oh will that be on steam? Or is the sale somewhere else?
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#59 Apr 04 2012 at 5:08 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Amazon. Activates on EA's "Origin" client, like all of EA's stuff these days.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#60 Apr 04 2012 at 5:25 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Wow, that sounds like crack for me. I really miss in-game housing. TOR gives you your own ship, which is nice, but as of right now you can't decorate it. You can upgrade its battle capabilities, and patch 1.2 will let you purchase some other useful upgrades, but the actual decorations/setup is built into the design. I'd love it if you could make aesthetic changes...

And the collection thing could certainly absorb some of my time...

Okay, sold, I'll try it out. :P Thanks!

Ok, like I mentioned before, I'm on Everfrost. Dyadem, DSD, and Cyliena also play there. My main is Enica and I have an army of alts. /join Asylum, someone is usually in that channel. Once you join it, check to see what number the game assigns that channel for you, then type /whochannel # to see who's hanging out in the Asylum.

Oh, and did I mention there's appearance armor? And quite a lot of it. So you don't have to look like you're wearing your armor. Right now, it's Bristlebane Day (God of Merriment, AKA practical joker). So, you can get 4 different types of jester outfits for your character, haha.

http://www.everquest2.com/news/article?month=032012&id=5186
#61 Apr 04 2012 at 5:34 PM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
Jophiel wrote:
Amazon. Activates on EA's "Origin" client, like all of EA's stuff these days.


Ew...it was hard enough to give into steam, I'll probably just have to go without.

Edited, Apr 4th 2012 4:35pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#62 Apr 04 2012 at 5:40 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Well, you can always pay three times as much for half the content on Steam if you need to keep your Origin cherry intact. Thirty bucks for DA:O on Steam.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#63 Apr 04 2012 at 5:41 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
That would definitely be worth it for anyone who hasn't played.^^

[EDIT]

I'm on The Constant in TOR. But I'm seriously considering moving to a higher population server. Mine is like the 95th most populated out of the 123 servers. I think I might move over to Elysium, which is 35th or so. Still debating that, but trying to power through chapter 1 on it, anyway, to claim my Legacy name.

Edited, Apr 4th 2012 7:10pm by idiggory
Ah, cool. I'm over on Jung Ma. I think it's #15.
____________________________
Banh
#64 Apr 04 2012 at 6:15 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
Nadenu wrote:
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Wow, that sounds like crack for me. I really miss in-game housing. TOR gives you your own ship, which is nice, but as of right now you can't decorate it. You can upgrade its battle capabilities, and patch 1.2 will let you purchase some other useful upgrades, but the actual decorations/setup is built into the design. I'd love it if you could make aesthetic changes...

And the collection thing could certainly absorb some of my time...

Okay, sold, I'll try it out. :P Thanks!

Ok, like I mentioned before, I'm on Everfrost. Dyadem, DSD, and Cyliena also play there. My main is Enica and I have an army of alts. /join Asylum, someone is usually in that channel. Once you join it, check to see what number the game assigns that channel for you, then type /whochannel # to see who's hanging out in the Asylum.

Oh, and did I mention there's appearance armor? And quite a lot of it. So you don't have to look like you're wearing your armor. Right now, it's Bristlebane Day (God of Merriment, AKA practical joker). So, you can get 4 different types of jester outfits for your character, haha.

http://www.everquest2.com/news/article?month=032012&id=5186


Great, I'll do that once it's downloaded.

Sir Spoonless wrote:
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
That would definitely be worth it for anyone who hasn't played.^^

[EDIT]

I'm on The Constant in TOR. But I'm seriously considering moving to a higher population server. Mine is like the 95th most populated out of the 123 servers. I think I might move over to Elysium, which is 35th or so. Still debating that, but trying to power through chapter 1 on it, anyway, to claim my Legacy name.

Edited, Apr 4th 2012 7:10pm by idiggory
Ah, cool. I'm over on Jung Ma. I think it's #15.

Lucky. :P

I'm leveling a Sith Warrior. I had always intended to use different servers for my Empire/Republic characters, so I figure the worst case scenario is that I establish a legacy for my Sith, if I ultimately decide to stay on The Constant.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#65 Apr 04 2012 at 7:14 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,915 posts
I think I can add a little to the commentary on Rift. It's a very safe game, basically it's WoW. If you like the model of how MMOs are currently produced you'll find no pleasant or unpleasant surprises in the game. I reached level cap and did all the end game stuff available at the time and just realized that even though it is a well made game, the model didn't work for me. I can't do MMOs.

I did have a ton of fun playing my Warden though. I had the opposite experience of healing in GW--where everything was designed to frustrate a healer--healing as a Warden was designed to frustrate everyone else.
#66 Apr 04 2012 at 8:05 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
Healing is actually a decent way to compare systems across games/expansions, because it ends up as the backbone of most PVP content and all of PVE.

OP healers make content trivial, UP healers make it needlessly painful. If there's significant balance issues when comparing healers, you'll likely see way worse problems elsewhere (DpS who max out at, say, 65% of the average DpS for another class).

It's not going to tell you everything, of course, but it presents a surprising amount of info.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#67 Apr 04 2012 at 8:33 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,915 posts
You can't compare solely healing, because tankiness is a huge factor of how much healing is required.

I think Rift had a fairly balanced healing setup on the surface, and you had to dig really deep to find the imbalances that were there. But that makes exploiting them all the more fun.
#68 Apr 04 2012 at 8:36 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
29,244 posts
DAMMIT, Nad. Smiley: mad

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#69 Apr 04 2012 at 9:01 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Samira wrote:
DAMMIT, Nad. Smiley: mad


Come back... You know your army of short people needs jester outfits.
#70 Apr 04 2012 at 9:50 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,552 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
That would definitely be worth it for anyone who hasn't played.^^

[EDIT]

I'm on The Constant in TOR. But I'm seriously considering moving to a higher population server. Mine is like the 95th most populated out of the 123 servers. I think I might move over to Elysium, which is 35th or so. Still debating that, but trying to power through chapter 1 on it, anyway, to claim my Legacy name.

Edited, Apr 4th 2012 7:10pm by idiggory


I've got a level 22 Sith on Elysium and a level 11 Jedi on InfinityGate. I jonined IG to play with a guy from work, but I have hard time doing it, it's so much more fun to play a Sith than a Jedi.

As to Rift, I play it, but I don't really do endgame at all. I mostly just craft, explore (though I've pretty much run out of territory at this point), and occasionally to some PvP in the battlefronts. I really only signed up again to muck about with the one year anniversery event, which is almost over, so I doubt that it'll hold my interest much. Though with the addition of Fishing and Survival in the next update, that might keep me going for a bit.
#71 Apr 04 2012 at 10:02 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
Turin wrote:
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
That would definitely be worth it for anyone who hasn't played.^^

[EDIT]

I'm on The Constant in TOR. But I'm seriously considering moving to a higher population server. Mine is like the 95th most populated out of the 123 servers. I think I might move over to Elysium, which is 35th or so. Still debating that, but trying to power through chapter 1 on it, anyway, to claim my Legacy name.

Edited, Apr 4th 2012 7:10pm by idiggory


I've got a level 22 Sith on Elysium and a level 11 Jedi on InfinityGate. I jonined IG to play with a guy from work, but I have hard time doing it, it's so much more fun to play a Sith than a Jedi.

As to Rift, I play it, but I don't really do endgame at all. I mostly just craft, explore (though I've pretty much run out of territory at this point), and occasionally to some PvP in the battlefronts. I really only signed up again to muck about with the one year anniversery event, which is almost over, so I doubt that it'll hold my interest much. Though with the addition of Fishing and Survival in the next update, that might keep me going for a bit.


How are you liking the server?
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#72 Apr 04 2012 at 10:06 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,552 posts
It's a bit more populated that I.G., but it still feels empty a lot of the time. There are only ever twenty to thirty people in a zone when I'm playing. The auction house is a barren wasteland when it comes to low level stuff. I pretty much get by with quest rewards for gear. That might change at later levels, but for now it's a bit annoying.
#73 Apr 04 2012 at 10:41 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
I know my server is better at higher levels, and it has 5-15 fewer people per zone than Elysium does, so it should get better.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#74 Apr 05 2012 at 12:36 AM Rating: Good
****
9,526 posts
I am loving my warden on EQ2, already got an invite to some random guild as well, so that's nice, and leveling is fast, which I like... I hate slow leveling with burning fury, also my frog is cool and I've already got lots of skillz
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.


#75 Apr 05 2012 at 4:19 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,299 posts
Olorinus wrote:
I am loving my warden on EQ2, already got an invite to some random guild as well, so that's nice, and leveling is fast, which I like... I hate slow leveling with burning fury, also my frog is cool and I've already got lots of skillz

Good to hear it! Hopefully you'll stick around with us for a bit. Smiley: grin
#76 Apr 05 2012 at 6:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
someproteinguy wrote:
As much as everyone jabbers on about it here I'm actually considering downloading it and trying it out myself. You know, like then I can take a break from replaying old FF games. Smiley: nod

Dragon Age Pack (DA:O Ultimate + DA2) - $9.95

That's a ***********-diculous amount of content for ten bucks.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)