Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

The Gruen Transfer - The Pitch: Banning all ReligionFollow

#1 Sep 08 2011 at 3:50 AM Rating: Good
Everyone's Oiran
Avatar
*****
15,915 posts
Ads for Banning all Religion. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhAKzYr4-wg

Smiley: grin
____________________________
<3

http://www.reddit.com/r/Forum4/
#2 Sep 08 2011 at 4:58 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,934 posts
I liked the first one a lot more; the second one, I seem to recall, had only little white kids. Kinda defeats the purpose when your message is "bringing us all together... if you're white." But I also didn't care for the outdated use of the evolution of man found in the first one though (the ape ---> man metamorphosis is not how evolution works). So I guess I the tie made sense; both had weak points.

Pretty funny though, would be hilarious to see them on US TV Smiley: lol
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#3 Sep 08 2011 at 6:37 AM Rating: Default
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,677 posts
It's funny that an advertising show is having a contest for ads whose purpose is to convince (who?) to ban free-thinking.

Is the show always this stupid, or is dissing religion simply the 'in' thing to do these days?
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#4 Sep 08 2011 at 6:48 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,089 posts
Finally some truth in advertising!
____________________________
SSubZero wrote:

MNK: "OK we're gonna go in and get those items."
WHM: "Did you have a plan?"
MNK: "Plan? I was going to walk through the front door and start punching people."
#5 Sep 08 2011 at 7:11 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,934 posts
Elinda wrote:
It's funny that an advertising show is having a contest for ads whose purpose is to convince (who?) to ban free-thinking.

Man, I couldn't see ANY atheist groups doing this. No way, atheists don't advertise (and neither do churches, amirite?)! Smiley: oyvey I guess you don't live in an area of the world where you drive by religious billboards or see religious commercials daily. Must be nice.

The audience is pretty obvious: attempt to persuade people to leave religion. Some folks make being anti-religion their religion.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#6 Sep 08 2011 at 7:20 AM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,677 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Elinda wrote:
It's funny that an advertising show is having a contest for ads whose purpose is to convince (who?) to ban free-thinking.

Man, I couldn't see ANY atheist groups doing this. No way, atheists don't advertise (and neither do churches, amirite?)! Smiley: oyvey I guess you don't live in an area of the world where you drive by religious billboards or see religious commercials daily. Must be nice.

The audience is pretty obvious: attempt to persuade people to leave religion. Some folks make being anti-religion their religion.

Actually we don't have billboards where I live. Regardless, no, I've never seen a religion advertising to ban atheism.

If I were religious I don't think either of those commercials would make me question my beliefs. They'd probably **** me off with their stupid rhetoric.

What I didn't catch is this particular ad contest is to sell the unsellable. Still, why would you want to sell an idea that is to ban others from their ideas.

Just my opinion, eh. That's why posts are made yes?

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#7 Sep 08 2011 at 7:30 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,934 posts
Elinda wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Elinda wrote:
It's funny that an advertising show is having a contest for ads whose purpose is to convince (who?) to ban free-thinking.

Man, I couldn't see ANY atheist groups doing this. No way, atheists don't advertise (and neither do churches, amirite?)! Smiley: oyvey I guess you don't live in an area of the world where you drive by religious billboards or see religious commercials daily. Must be nice.

The audience is pretty obvious: attempt to persuade people to leave religion. Some folks make being anti-religion their religion.

Actually we don't have billboards where I live. Regardless, no, I've never seen a religion advertising to ban atheism.

If I were religious I don't think either of those commercials would make me question my beliefs. They'd probably **** me off with their stupid rhetoric.

Lucky. Every day I pass by this billboard:
after you die


It's pretty inoffensive, but I bet it would **** off a hardcore atheist. Hence why I would have no problem believing an atheist group would fund a commercial like those on here. I don't think they'll work necessarily, but when people define themselves by a specific belief, they tend to let reason go out the window.

Quote:
Just my opinion, eh. That's why posts are made yes?

Yep, and I'm just being antagonistic because I'm an Annoying **** (TM) Smiley: grin

Edit: Actually, I think the billboard I see has the same quote attributed to Hebrews 9:27, not Revelation. Details.

Edited, Sep 8th 2011 9:33am by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#8 Sep 08 2011 at 7:33 AM Rating: Excellent
******
43,455 posts
They should hire Sarah McLachlan and do those half hour (they sure feel like they last half an hour ...) ASPCA commercials for this.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#9 Sep 08 2011 at 7:54 AM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,677 posts
I think they should have gone with a more subtle mind-control type message that didn't use the word 'ban'.

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#10 Sep 08 2011 at 9:28 AM Rating: Default
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,677 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:

Quote:
Just my opinion, eh. That's why posts are made yes?

Yep, and I'm just being antagonistic because I'm an Annoying **** (TM) Smiley: grin

Edit: Actually, I think the billboard I see has the same quote attributed to Hebrews 9:27, not Revelation. Details.

Edited, Sep 8th 2011 9:33am by LockeColeMA
Yes, you're just being antagonistic, or contrary perhaps. Smiley: grin.

Others, probably the op are rating me down. The games you kids play. Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#11 Sep 08 2011 at 10:38 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,242 posts
As someone who is a member of a group which is targeted with hateful actions via organized religion, I applaud any attempt to wake people out of their opiate stupor.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#12 Sep 08 2011 at 10:43 AM Rating: Good
******
43,455 posts
Westboro Baptist Church?
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#13 Sep 08 2011 at 11:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,934 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church?

Gonna guess Planned Parenthood.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#14 Sep 08 2011 at 11:20 AM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,677 posts
Olorinus wrote:
As someone who is a member of a group which is targeted with hateful actions via organized religion, I applaud any attempt to wake people out of their opiate stupor.

Smiley: lol As long as the 'so-called' commercials are anti-religion then they're all good eh?

These commercials don't preach tolerance. They don't suggest group hugs. We're not all special in our own special ways here. These commercials are every bit as hateful and intolerant of religions as religions are of other belief systems.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#15 Sep 08 2011 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,242 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church?

Gonna guess Planned Parenthood.


lolgaxe wins the quiz!

Elinda wrote:


These commercials don't preach tolerance. They don't suggest group hugs. We're not all special in our own special ways here. These commercials are every bit as hateful and intolerant of religions as religions are of other belief systems.


Um, did you watch the commercials? I don't see anything hateful here.

What part was hateful? The part where they talked about the history of bad ideas? The part in the other one where they (rightly) pointed out religion is a source of hatred and conflict?

I didn't see anything hateful in these commercials so perhaps you could enlighten me.

Edited, Sep 8th 2011 10:44am by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#16 Sep 08 2011 at 11:32 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,677 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church?

Gonna guess Planned Parenthood.
Nah, something else altogether, as Olurinus is Canadian.


Edit: I'm wrong. Shocking, I know.


Edited, Sep 8th 2011 2:33pm by Uglysasquatch
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#17 Sep 08 2011 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,242 posts
Well, in general just churches who propagate **** hate. I could have named some but they wouldn't mean anything to people here. Westboro works.
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#18 Sep 08 2011 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Elinda wrote:
It's funny that an advertising show is having a contest for ads whose purpose is to convince (who?) to ban free-thinking.

Is the show always this stupid, or is dissing religion simply the 'in' thing to do these days?


Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the whole thing supposed to be facetious? Or rather, just a design exercise? I was mostly only listening to the audio, so maybe I got the wrong impression, but it seemed like the ideas that the teams were tasked with pitching were deliberately bad.

They used to give us critical thinking design exercises like that in architecture studio. "Design a house without walls." "Design a city without people." Things like that.

Edited, Sep 8th 2011 1:58pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#19 Sep 08 2011 at 11:56 AM Rating: Decent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,225 posts
Billboards I pass frequently:

GIANT YELLOW BILLBOARD - One side says "Jesus" the other side says "Coming soon!" This one **** me off the most, because it's been there for over a decade. I think it's owned by the car dealership whose property it sits on.

All those "Witty quote here - God" billboards. All of them. All along the same 30 mile stretch of road. Argh.

Hundreds of billboards advertising churches, a few of them with warnings to the heathen college students, but most of them rather inoccuously advertising the church or Christianity in general.

I can't recall ever seeing an advertisement for the town's mosque or synagogues.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#20 Sep 08 2011 at 12:37 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,934 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:

They used to give us critical thinking design exercises like that in architecture studio. "Design a house without walls." "Design a city without people." Things like that.

Those actually sound pretty fun. I'd think a house without walls could be a silo or dome (by walls did you mean square walls? By house, could it include things like a boat or a dumpster?), and a city without people is really easy: termite mounds and underground superstructures.

Quote:
GIANT YELLOW BILLBOARD - One side says "Jesus" the other side says "Coming soon!" This one **** me off the most, because it's been there for over a decade. I think it's owned by the car dealership whose property it sits on.

All those "Witty quote here - God" billboards. All of them. All along the same 30 mile stretch of road. Argh.


Yup, we have a ton of those here in FL too. About a 1/3 split between "Believe in God," "Abortion is murder" and local advertisements.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#21 Sep 08 2011 at 12:47 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
LockeColeMA wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church?
Gonna guess Planned Parenthood.

Airline pilot!
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#22 Sep 08 2011 at 12:57 PM Rating: Decent
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
15,677 posts
Olorinus wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
Westboro Baptist Church?

Gonna guess Planned Parenthood.


lolgaxe wins the quiz!

Elinda wrote:


These commercials don't preach tolerance. They don't suggest group hugs. We're not all special in our own special ways here. These commercials are every bit as hateful and intolerant of religions as religions are of other belief systems.


Um, did you watch the commercials? I don't see anything hateful here.

What part was hateful? The part where they talked about the history of bad ideas? The part in the other one where they (rightly) pointed out religion is a source of hatred and conflict?

I didn't see anything hateful in these commercials so perhaps you could enlighten me.

Edited, Sep 8th 2011 10:44am by Olorinus
The first one wasn't so bad. However merely suggesting religion is a bad idea and should be 'banned' is pretty intolerant. The second one though, accuses religion (in general) of indoctrination, twisting messages, and calls it the major cause of conflict. Sounds pretty intolerant and hateful to me.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#23 Sep 08 2011 at 1:24 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,484 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:

Lucky. Every day I pass by this billboard:
after you die


It's pretty inoffensive, but I bet it would **** off a hardcore atheist. Hence why I would have no problem believing an atheist group would fund a commercial like those on here. I don't think they'll work necessarily, but when people define themselves by a specific belief, they tend to let reason go out the window.


I have no problem believing that an atheist group would fund such a commercial as well. I think what Elinda is getting at though is that there's a huge difference between expressing your own beliefs, which others may not agree with, and advocating for the banning of beliefs which you don't agree with.

One is an expression of free speech. The other is an advocation of infringement of free speech. It shouldn't matter which sides beliefs one happens to agree with to see that difference.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#24 Sep 08 2011 at 1:41 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,934 posts
gbaji wrote:
One is an expression of free speech. The other is an advocation of infringement of free speech. It shouldn't matter which sides beliefs one happens to agree with to see that difference.


This is true; I did not read her statement this way (more that she was asking who would pay for commercials like these).
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#25 Sep 08 2011 at 1:44 PM Rating: Good
******
43,455 posts
My wife told me about a billboard in the Lincoln tunnel last year. Something about the three Wise Men and the manger scene, and the caption on it was something along the lines of "It's a myth. This season celebrate reason." I wish I had seen it, it sounds like an amusing waste of money, equal to any pro-religious billboard.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#26 Sep 08 2011 at 1:47 PM Rating: Good
Meat Popsicle
*****
11,624 posts
Have to wonder what kind of return on investment these religious billboards get that makes them seem worth it. Haven't we all heard about God already? Smiley: confused
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#27 Sep 08 2011 at 1:54 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:

They used to give us critical thinking design exercises like that in architecture studio. "Design a house without walls." "Design a city without people." Things like that.

Those actually sound pretty fun. I'd think a house without walls could be a silo or dome (by walls did you mean square walls? By house, could it include things like a boat or a dumpster?), and a city without people is really easy: termite mounds and underground superstructures.


I always liked them. The results were always interesting. The schools I attended skewed towards the artsy/academic side of things, so the professors always encouraged students to play with the definitions and break convention. They liked it when the exercise would, say, get you to question what defines a "wall" or "house".

The more engineer/math/science-oriented students often struggled with them. They had trouble separating themselves from self-imposed rigid definitions and boundaries. Those types of students work best with clearly defined requirements.

I remember one where our professor asked us to create a "balanced drawing." Most students created mirror images. Our prof brought up one that had a big circle on one side, and a tiny circle on the other side, and posited that it was balanced. Caused quite an uproar...one student in particular got pretty heated in denial. I ventured that the image was balanced in "level of interest"...that the two sides, one with its unusually big circle, and the other with its unusually small circle, where equally interesting, thus balancing the image. Got a lot of brownie points for that one.

Tough to put that on a resume, though. Smiley: grin

PS: I like your city answer. Not so sure about the silo/dome, though. Pretty sure those are walled, by any definition.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#28 Sep 08 2011 at 1:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,934 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
My wife told me about a billboard in the Lincoln tunnel last year. Something about the three Wise Men and the manger scene, and the caption on it was something along the lines of "It's a myth. This season celebrate reason." I wish I had seen it, it sounds like an amusing waste of money, equal to any pro-religious billboard.

season of reason

Smiley: grin

Ironically, found the Google Image search image from The Blaze Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#29 Sep 08 2011 at 1:58 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
lolgaxe wrote:
This season celebrate reason.

I bet Reason Trees suck.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#30 Sep 08 2011 at 2:02 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,225 posts
Jophiel wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
This season celebrate reason.

I bet Reason Trees suck.


Yeah, since there's no Santa for Reasonmas you know everything under the tree is socks and underwear. You know, reasonable presents. Maybe a new blender if you're lucky.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#31 Sep 08 2011 at 2:05 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,934 posts
Jophiel wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
This season celebrate reason.

I bet Reason Trees suck.

I'm imagine they're reasonable, actually.
BAM!
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#32 Sep 08 2011 at 2:07 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
catwho wrote:
Yeah, since there's no Santa for Reasonmas you know everything under the tree is socks and underwear. You know, reasonable presents. Maybe a new blender if you're lucky.

Grandma gave you one of those long "money cards" but, when you open it, it has a savings bond. Much more practical.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#33 Sep 08 2011 at 3:49 PM Rating: Excellent
The Duck Whisperer
*****
15,512 posts
Of of I-10 outside of Sealy, we have some sort of "SECEDE" billboard. I've lost count of the abortion billboards I've seen.

Oh, Texas. Smiley: oyvey
____________________________
Iamadam the Prophet wrote:

You know that feeling you get when you have a little bit of hope, only to have it ripped away? Sweetums feeds on that.
#34 Sep 08 2011 at 3:50 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,455 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
season of reason
I laughed. Hard.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#35 Sep 08 2011 at 3:54 PM Rating: Decent
Encyclopedia
******
31,484 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
gbaji wrote:
One is an expression of free speech. The other is an advocation of infringement of free speech. It shouldn't matter which sides beliefs one happens to agree with to see that difference.


This is true; I did not read her statement this way (more that she was asking who would pay for commercials like these).


Strange. Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see her ask anything remotely like that anywhere. She did say (and you quoted and responded to her) that it was funny that an advertising contest would involve advertisements banning free speech. As far as I can see, you were the one who brought up the issue of who would pay for such a thing, not her.
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#36 Sep 08 2011 at 4:13 PM Rating: Excellent
Prodigal Son
*****
19,889 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Quote:
If I were religious I don't think either of those commercials would make me question my beliefs. They'd probably **** me off with their stupid rhetoric.

Lucky. Every day I pass by this billboard:
after you die


It's pretty inoffensive,

Like hell! It's giving you the finger!

Edited, Sep 8th 2011 6:14pm by Debalic
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#37 Sep 08 2011 at 4:19 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
9,242 posts
This is my favourite non-religious billboard:
http://s3-ak.buzzfed.com/static/imagebuzz/terminal01/2009/12/17/10/god-is-a-hard-act-to-follow-19680-1261065492-4.jpg
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#38 Sep 08 2011 at 5:17 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
"WHERE'S THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE?"
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#39 Sep 08 2011 at 5:22 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,455 posts
Screenshot
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#40 Sep 15 2011 at 4:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
9,242 posts
I thought this was an interesting story that relates to this topic:

Quote:


Most Canadians think religion more harmful than good: survey


By Teresa Smith, Postmedia News September 15, 2011 3:24 PM



Story
Photos ( 1 )

Images such as this, showing members of the infamous Westboro Baptist Church protesting **** marriage, have convinced many people that religious faith can be destructive.

OTTAWA — It's no secret fewer Canadians attend church today than 20 years ago, but what may be surprising is almost half of Canadians believe religion does more harm than good, according to the results of a survey conducted by Ipsos Reid.

Explanations from experts vary — from fear of extremists and anger toward individuals who abuse positions of power, to a national 'forgetting' of Canadian history.

"In the past few years, there have been several high-profile international situations involving perceived religious conflicts, as well as the anniversary of 9/11, and I think when people see those, it causes them to fear religion and to see it as a source of conflict," said Janet Epp Buckingham, associate professor at Trinity Western University in Ottawa.

Religion seems to be a key player in many of today's top stories, from stand-alone events — such as the 2005 riots in the suburbs of Paris linked to the French government's proposed burka ban, and right-wing Christian Anders Behring Breivik's shooting rampage in Oslo, Norway — to more drawn-out sagas, such as child abuse in the Catholic Church, and the perception that Christians are constantly campaigning against **** marriage and abortion.

Canadians who don't participate in religion themselves experience it in the news, which can sensationalize the negatives aspects of religion, said Dr. Pamela **** Young, the principal of the School of Religion at Queen's University, in Kingston, Ont.

**** Young said that had the survey asked if religious people did more harm than good, the answer would have been very different.

"To me, that means people think religion is harmful, but people who are religious aren't particularly harmful," she said.

The survey, which was conducted ahead of the launch of a new Global TV show — Context — about religion in Canada, also found that 89 per cent of Canadians are comfortable being around people of different faiths.

**** Young said when she asks most of her first-year students if they're religious, they say no. When she asks if they are spiritual, they say yes.

She said this follows a general trend among Canadians who are turning away from organized religion — which is seen as a concrete set of pre-ordained rules — in favour of a more personalized spiritual journey.

But, on the question of whether religion does more harm than good, Rev. Canon Dr. Bill Prentice said: "We forget our history."

He pointed out that the first hospitals, schools, and universities in Canada were founded by religious institutions, or at the very least, have a religious foundation.

Prentice, director of Community Ministry for the Anglican Diocese of Ottawa, said churches continue to "do good works" across the country, managing food banks, social programs, and helping the country's homeless find shelter.

These charities "wouldn't exist if the churches pulled out because the volunteer sector in the religious communities do work that wouldn't otherwise go on," he said.

"I think we take for granted all the positive things that religious institutions are doing in our society, because they're working in the background and they're working with marginalized people," said Epp Buckingham. "They're the first on the ground when there's a humanitarian disaster, or a tornado or a hurricane, and they're often the unsung heroes."

Dan Merkur, a visiting scholar in the department for the study of religion at the University of Toronto, said he thinks there are some massive changes happening in organized religion worldwide.

In the 1960s and 70s, he said, most clergy tried to 'rationalize' religion by making it logical. But, these days, he said the trend is toward social work and counselling, suggesting that clergy "want to listen to people and help them through their troubles."

This, said Merkur, could be a reaction to fewer people in the pews, or it could be the natural course of religious philosophy.

http://www.vancouversun.com/Most+Canadians+think+religion+more+harmful+than+good+survey/5409555/story.html



Edited, Sep 15th 2011 3:39pm by Olorinus
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
#41 Sep 15 2011 at 4:44 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
As someone more religious than the norm around here (not that it'd take much), neither commercial made me consider giving up religion. So they both failed as commercials no matter how much atheists want to high-five one other over them.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#42 Sep 15 2011 at 7:19 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,564 posts
Elinda wrote:
If I were religious I don't think either of those commercials would make me question my beliefs. They'd probably **** me off with their stupid rhetoric.

Jophiel wrote:
As someone more religious than the norm around here (not that it'd take much), neither commercial made me consider giving up religion. So they both failed as commercials no matter how much atheists want to high-five one other over them.

I'm not sure if it's because my job involves trying to sell people more stuff than they need, but I think you both have a pretty flawed idea of how commercials work.

They aren't mind control; they aren't convincing arguments. You don't see a commercials about Lady Gaga drinking Dr. Pepper and mumble to yourself "Dr. Pepper, Dr. Pepper," or think "Hmm, they've made a good point that my life would be more like that of a music star if I drink their beverage."

Most advertisements you see are effective. On the most basic level they're there to inform and remind. The product exists, and we hope you haven't forgotten about it. Typically, the more people think about it the better. If you see a commercial on tv that makes you post about how totally ineffective it was, then it's totally working.

I also think you have this flawed notion that commercials are supposed convince and who they inevitably end up swaying. An M&Ms commercials isn't trying to make an argument about why you should by M7Ms over Mars bars and isn't trying to sway the people who say they love Mars bars and hate M&Ms. It's about the people who don't really give a **** about candy. It's about the childless person picking out a bag of Halloween candy who needs to get to his doctor visit in 15 minutes and he really doesn't give a **** what he gets for them. Commercials are there to grab the fringes and apathetic fence sitters. They don't work in decision based buying, they work on impulse buying.

A commercial about atheism doesn't need to directly convince a single theist to be effective, and judging by it by the ability to turn a churchgoer into a secularist is a pretty ridiculous metric.
#43 Sep 15 2011 at 7:23 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
You're getting a lot of typing practice taking me seriously.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#44 Sep 15 2011 at 7:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Repressed Memories
******
20,564 posts
You should see how muscular my hands are.
#45 Sep 15 2011 at 7:31 PM Rating: Excellent
****
7,806 posts
Allegory wrote:
You should see how muscular my hands are.

That isn't from typing...
____________________________
People don't like to be meddled with. We tell them what to do, what to think, don't run, don't walk. We're in their homes and in their heads and we haven't the right. We're meddlesome. ~River Tam

Sedao
#46 Sep 15 2011 at 7:39 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,455 posts
Kastigir wrote:
Allegory wrote:
You should see how muscular my hands are.
That isn't from typing...
Screenshot
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#47 Sep 15 2011 at 7:39 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I personally would have gone in the other direction. The problem with your argument is that people always take it to the other extreme (and you're kind of doing the same). Someone says "I hate that new Burger King commercial so much, I'm never eating there again" and some other wisetard invariably says "You're talking about it so that means it worked!"

No, it doesn't. Burger King doesn't want you talking about or thinking about them. They don't give a shit if the commercial wins awards. They only want Customer Traffic Post-Commercial > Customer Traffic Pre-Commercial. If it causes a net loss of customers -- but they're talking about it! -- then the commercial was a failure. If it results in stagnation, it's a failure unless you're hemorrhaging customers to the point where stagnation is good news.

Now I would have said another purpose of advertisement is to make the already converted feel good about their choice. You don't want your atheists to have doubts about their decisions, you want to pat them on the back and say "Good job!". That's why products come with instructional fliers congratulating you on your purchase or restaurants have posters inside the building saying how much you'll love this experience. It's not to make the faithful lose faith, it's to let the secular high-five one another for being secular.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#48 Sep 15 2011 at 7:56 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,564 posts
Jophiel wrote:
No, it doesn't. Burger King doesn't want you talking about or thinking about them. They don't give a shit if the commercial wins awards. They only want Customer Traffic Post-Commercial > Customer Traffic Pre-Commercial. If it causes a net loss of customers -- but they're talking about it! -- then the commercial was a failure. If it results in stagnation, it's a failure unless you're hemorrhaging customers to the point where stagnation is good news.

That's what I got into in my seconod paragraph. Companies want increased awareness (excluding being in the news for putting rat poison in their products) because it does lead to increased sales. They don't turn McDonald's fans into Burger King fans. They turn people who don't give a **** into "eh maybe I'll eat at Burger King, since it's right here."

Companies don't make big investments into advertising to high five themselves.
Jophiel wrote:
It's not to make the faithful lose faith

Nor was it trying to. That's not how any commercial works, and is a terrible metric to measure effectiveness by. Think about it in any other terms. Do political adds turn life long Republicans into Democrats? No? Are they then entirely about Democrats high-fiving each other? It's the exact same situation.
#49 Sep 15 2011 at 8:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,282 posts
The only thing I ever really take from commercials is how stupid they are.
#50 Sep 15 2011 at 8:45 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,564 posts
Clearly those companies are all just high-fiving themselves.
#51 Sep 15 2011 at 9:01 PM Rating: Excellent
******
43,455 posts
They try for a lower five, but their speed is lacking in the execution.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 63 All times are in CDT
Aethien, Samira, Tasera, Anonymous Guests (60)