Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Reply To Thread

Atheism or agnosticism?Follow

#1 Apr 22 2011 at 9:26 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,024 posts
I find myself at a crossroads. I really enjoyed Ricky Gervais's "Why I'm an Atheist" article last year is the WSG, but one thing he says gets to me:
Quote:
“I don’t believe in God because there is absolutely no scientific evidence for his existence and from what I’ve heard the very definition is a logical impossibility in this known universe”

Gervais claims to be an atheist, theists claim atheism is a belief, and atheists fire back that it's not. By definition it seems like a belief to me. However, Gervais's description above completely encompasses my feelings on a god (or God). The definition of agnostic seems closers, but still not quite right. Gervais isn't saying "knowing God isn't possible," he seems to be saying "There's not proof so I don't have any reason to believe in it." All I know is I have never found a strain of Christianity that seems right to me, and none of the other religious beliefs I've read about really struck me either. So... what am I?
What is Locke?
Atheist:8 (15.1%)
Agnostic:18 (34.0%)
Going to ****:4 (7.5%)
Probably ***:20 (37.7%)
Other:3 (5.7%)
Total:53

____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#2 Apr 22 2011 at 9:31 AM Rating: Good
******
44,511 posts
I put my faith in the Sun.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Apr 22 2011 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
Have you looked at UU? Some atheist/agnostics go there. They are welcoming of all beliefs.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#4 Apr 22 2011 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Meh. It really matters little. What it has come down to for me is, do you believe in possibility of something bigger than yourself, or do you think there is absolutely no possible way that something besides this tangible world that you see exists?

I don't believe in God, but I'm not atheist or agnostic. When you pigeonhole it to primarily refer to Christianity, I think the words come a bit clouded in their meaning.

Anyway, I think you're agnostic. You shouldn't doubt your unbeliefs based on what a comedian says in passing in a mediocre article. I lost interest when he couldn't decide whether he wanted to refer to "God" or "a god" in his rant.
#5 Apr 22 2011 at 9:38 AM Rating: Excellent
****
5,684 posts
Does it really matter what you call it? In the end you are still going to believe what you believe regardless of the label you associate with it.
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I admit that I was wrong

God bless Lili St. Cyr
#6 Apr 22 2011 at 9:43 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Well, it's a bit wishy-washy with the definitions, so it's tough to give it a clear answer. People have gotten very liberal with their application of the terms over the years, so there's some overlap.

Atheism has a couple accepted definitions, and the lack of specificity causes some problems. It can mean both "Belief that God does not exist", and "A lack of belief in God." Similar sounding, but there's a key difference, one is a belief system and the other is not.

You could be an atheist of either variety (I'd say it sounds more like the latter). The latter allows for the possibility for god to exist, and is more-or-less the same thing as agnosticism. In my personal experience, the first definition is usually the one assumed, though.

Agnosticism is a tiny bit more clear about it's definitions. It is, by definition, not a belief system. One doesn't believe that God exists, nor that God doesn't exist; you simply don't know. I choose to say that I'm agnostic, because that typically avoids giving the impression that I claim the knowledge that God doesn't exist. I find it helps to think of it like the scientific method: It's impossible to make a conclusion about God's existence (due to lack of data), so a conclusion should not be made. A lack of evidence does not scientifically disprove something, it merely makes it appear less likely.

Something like that, I guess.

Edited, Apr 22nd 2011 11:44am by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#7 Apr 22 2011 at 9:48 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,320 posts
Yeah, I'd be less concerned with labeling myself than with understanding my beliefs and what they may or may not mean to my everyday life.

I spose you've read Dawkins, The God Delusion?? If not, he spends a good deal of time sorting out the 'theisms'.



Edited, Apr 22nd 2011 5:48pm by Elinda
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#8 Apr 22 2011 at 9:49 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,289 posts
There was no option for wine in your poll.
#9 Apr 22 2011 at 9:51 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,320 posts
Nadenu wrote:
There was no option for wine in your poll.
The grape is a miracle.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#10 Apr 22 2011 at 10:01 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Elinda wrote:
Nadenu wrote:
There was no option for wine in your poll.
The grape is a miracle.


Wasn't there someone who claimed that the banana was evidence of God? Don't have time to google it right now.
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#11 Apr 22 2011 at 10:12 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Why is there no "All of the above" option?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#12 Apr 22 2011 at 10:24 AM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Nadenu wrote:
There was no option for wine in your poll.
The grape is a miracle.


Wasn't there someone who claimed that the banana was evidence of God? Don't have time to google it right now.


Kirk Cameron
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#13 Apr 22 2011 at 10:24 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,470 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Nadenu wrote:
There was no option for wine in your poll.
The grape is a miracle.


Wasn't there someone who claimed that the banana was evidence of God? Don't have time to google it right now.



So, like 5 minutes after making this comment, I decide to eat the banana that I brought for lunch. The top had fallen off, and it was a little too soft for my liking, but I ate it anyway.

Now my stomach's upset. God exists, and he hates me.

Edited, Apr 22nd 2011 12:24pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#14 Apr 22 2011 at 10:40 AM Rating: Good
Prodigal Son
******
20,049 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Eske Esquire wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Nadenu wrote:
There was no option for wine in your poll.
The grape is a miracle.


Wasn't there someone who claimed that the banana was evidence of God? Don't have time to google it right now.


Kirk Cameron

Probably because it fits so nicely into his ****.
____________________________
publiusvarus wrote:
we all know liberals are well adjusted american citizens who only want what's best for society. While conservatives are evil money grubbing scum who only want to sh*t on the little man and rob the world of its resources.
#15 Apr 22 2011 at 10:41 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
67 posts
Quote:
The grape is a miracle.


Wine eggs!
#16 Apr 22 2011 at 10:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,289 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
Elinda wrote:
Nadenu wrote:
There was no option for wine in your poll.
The grape is a miracle.


Wasn't there someone who claimed that the banana was evidence of God? Don't have time to google it right now.


Banana wine?? Yuck.
#17 Apr 22 2011 at 11:17 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Guenny wrote:
I lost interest when he couldn't decide whether he wanted to refer to "God" or "a god" in his rant.

I got distracted by a photo of some blonde with a rack in the sidebar.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#18 Apr 22 2011 at 11:28 AM Rating: Good
Caffeine Queen
*****
14,450 posts
you sound agnostic. A bunch of my friends have a secular group going on down here to discuss issues that crop up as a parent raising kids in a secular home surrounded by a religious area. A few of them are hardcore atheists and to them there is, without a shadow of a doubt, no possibility for any chance of there being a God. They believe so strongly in their disbelief that it has become, in essence, the very description of a belief system, if that makes sense.

And then there are the agnostics, who dont feel they have THE ANSWER one way or another, and frankly, dont care.

I dont label myself personally. I tend to just say Spritiuality is divine while religion is man made. My concept on what is God is so vastly different from the norm.

Edited, Apr 22nd 2011 1:29pm by DSD
____________________________
Uglysasquatch wrote:
DSD kicked Alma in the *** on another thread over the weekend. Clearly, she kicked too hard as he's obviously still feeling it.

Suburban Rebel Mom Blog
#19 Apr 22 2011 at 12:03 PM Rating: Default
****
7,819 posts
If you believe in atheism then you believe in someting. Thats fact even if they deny it.
I'm a Pagan, ***, and going to ****!
____________________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/Request.jpg

. “Power even if it is raw uncontrolled potential is just as dangerous as a trained assassin. It is unpredictable and deadly if your are not prepared." ~Gatomon From the story A Fox Among Wolves.
#20 Apr 22 2011 at 12:20 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,481 posts
Atheism is kind of weird in the sense atheist say they don't believe in anything, yet in the same breath believe that nothing exists beyond because science hasn't said it does. (note they have also never said it doesn't just that they haven't found anything).

Personally I am a mixed bag. I don't specifically believe there is an invisible dude living in the clouds, but I also don't specifically deny the possibility. Considering that we as a people haven't even explored our own oceans in depth yet, have barely begun looking into space, there is so much that we couldn't hope to understand. But we do have historical evidence of evolutionary theory that strongly supports that and hurts the creationist theory. However that doesn't mean perhaps we haven't been "encouraged" to develop this way by some unknown entity.


One thing I do know for sure is that I do not believe in religious organization, be it Christianity(catholicism), Judaism, Muslim, Hindu, w/e the **** you want to call yourself. Ive read the bible, a translated version of the Qur'an, and they are essentially the same book with many of the same characters, with a couple extra chapters added on the later (kind of like the Bible "New Testament" is additional Chapters following Jesus, and the Jewish Old Testemant.

I think their is a possibility that something coerced the life on this planet at some point in time, but I also feel that it could possibly be natural. In the end who really knows. But I will tell you one thing, I really enjoy the drama that crops up now and then when religious organizations spew their rhetoric, be it against non-believers, or other religions themselves, which all more or less worship the same god, and follow the same doctrine.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. **** OFF YOU. **** YOUR ******** SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS ******* ****** BINARY ***. ALL DAY LONG.

#21 Apr 22 2011 at 12:30 PM Rating: Excellent
***
2,069 posts
I don't get why science and spirituality have to be mutually exclusive.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#22 Apr 22 2011 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
9,090 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
I don't get why science and spirituality have to be mutually exclusive.


They don't.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#23 Apr 22 2011 at 1:10 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Both, because atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive.

Atheism is the lack/denial of belief in a god or gods. Agnosticism is a lack/denial of certainty or ultimate knowledge. An agnostic atheist would be someone who does not believe in a god or gods but lacks absolute certain proof for this (lack of) belief - typically because logically you cannot prove nonexistence.

Most self-described atheists and agnostics are almost always all agnostic atheists.

Holy sh*t that's a lot of assonance.

Tailmon wrote:
If you believe in atheism then you believe in someting.
Wrong.
Quote:
a·the·ist
   [ey-thee-ist]

–noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
"Not believing in god" =/= a belief. It's a lack of one. The opposite of a belief; a non-belief (which would make that person a non-believer).

This post is brought to you by the letter 'A', a grant from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and viewers like you.



Edited, Apr 22nd 2011 2:16pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#24 Apr 22 2011 at 1:15 PM Rating: Excellent
******
44,511 posts
bsphil wrote:
typically because logically you cannot prove nonexistence.
varus' charisma.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#25 Apr 22 2011 at 1:32 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
bsphil wrote:
"Not believing in god" =/= a belief. It's a lack of one.

I don't believe in leprechauns. This can also be accurately described as "Jophiel believes that leprechauns do not exist."

Some people are overly worried about the word "belief" linking them to religious faith. I don't think atheism counts as a religion or anything, but it definitely involves a belief that there is no divine being out there.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#26 Apr 22 2011 at 1:49 PM Rating: Default
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Jophiel wrote:
bsphil wrote:
"Not believing in god" =/= a belief. It's a lack of one.

I don't believe in leprechauns. This can also be accurately described as "Jophiel believes that leprechauns do not exist."

Some people are overly worried about the word "belief" linking them to religious faith. I don't think atheism counts as a religion or anything, but it definitely involves a belief that there is no divine being out there.
"Jophiel believes that leprechauns do not exist" would be the equivalent of gnostic atheism: you're positively asserting that something doesn't exist.



Edited, Apr 22nd 2011 2:50pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#27 Apr 22 2011 at 1:55 PM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
bsphil wrote:
"Jophiel believes that leprechauns do not exist" would be the equivalent of gnostic atheism: you're positively asserting that something doesn't exist.

Given that "God does not exist" is the stock phrase of the webbernetz atheist, I'm not seeing reason to worry about the difference.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#28 Apr 22 2011 at 2:08 PM Rating: Default
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Jophiel wrote:
bsphil wrote:
"Jophiel believes that leprechauns do not exist" would be the equivalent of gnostic atheism: you're positively asserting that something doesn't exist.
Given that "God does not exist" is the stock phrase of the webbernetz atheist, I'm not seeing reason to worry about the difference.
I intend to educate.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#29 Apr 22 2011 at 3:46 PM Rating: Good
Encyclopedia
******
31,966 posts
bsphil wrote:
Both, because atheism and agnosticism are not mutually exclusive.


Except that kinda depends on how you define them, isn't it? As stated above, some people define atheism in a very broad context as any "lack of belief" in a god. Which would make agnosticism a subset (or at least overlap) of atheism. Unfortunately, that's not a very useful definition of atheism since it doesn't help us distinguish anything. IMO, it's just more useful to define them in ways that does make them exclusive sets so as to avoid confusion about where someone actually stands.

Quote:
Atheism is the lack/denial of belief in a god or gods. Agnosticism is a lack/denial of certainty or ultimate knowledge. An agnostic atheist would be someone who does not believe in a god or gods but lacks absolute certain proof for this (lack of) belief - typically because logically you cannot prove nonexistence.

Most self-described atheists and agnostics are almost always all agnostic atheists.


The problem is, as DSD states, there are a lot of atheists who are absolutely certain that god does not exist, cannot exist, and anyone who believes in god is a moron, and even just accepting the possibility that some form of divine might exist will result in argument from them. These are also the people who are most involved in secular movements and agendas (both politically and socially). Not surprising since they actually care a lot about what is quite obviously a belief.

We kinda need a term for them, don't we. And honestly, the word "atheist" makes the most sense. If someone isn't sure, they're an agnostic. Period. If they are sure that god exists, they are a theist. Period. If they are sure that god does not exist (any god), they are an atheist. All the other combinations were IMO inventions after the fact by people who for some reason want to use different labels in order to avoid criticism of their position or to "fit in" to some larger group I guess.

Dunno. IMO they just confuse the issue because you get people calling themselves agnostics who are clearly atheists (by my definition), and people calling themselves atheists who are clearly agnostic.


Quote:
Wrong.
Quote:
a·the·ist
   [ey-thee-ist]

–noun
a person who denies or disbelieves the existence of a supreme being or beings.
"Not believing in god" =/= a belief. It's a lack of one. The opposite of a belief; a non-belief (which would make that person a non-believer).


Sorry. IMO you are wrong. The definition doesn't say a "lack of belief". It specifically says someone "denies or disbelieves". Disbelief is a belief in the opposite, not a lack of belief in the subject at hand. The prefix "dis" means to reverse the meaning. So a believer is sure god exists, and a disbeliever is sure god doesn't exist. When you disbelieve or deny something you are specifically claiming that it is "not true". It does not allow for the possibility of uncertainty, just as belief does not allow for the possibility of uncertainty. An agnostic both lacks belief *and* disbelief in something.


I'll point out again that the reason I use that set of definitions is because they are useful. The ones you're trying to use are not, and serve only to muddle the issue.

Edited, Apr 22nd 2011 2:51pm by gbaji
____________________________
King Nobby wrote:
More words please
#30 Apr 22 2011 at 3:57 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,177 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
I put my faith in the Sun.


I put mine in Joe Pesci.
#31 Apr 22 2011 at 6:49 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,345 posts
I think that if there is a God, it is so far beyond our comprehension as to be invisible to us. I don't believe in a God any more than a bacterium believes in humanity.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#32 Apr 22 2011 at 6:53 PM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
Samira wrote:
I think that if there is a God, it is so far beyond our comprehension as to be invisible to us. I don't believe in a God any more than a bacterium believes in humanity.


Eh, I wrote the bacterium bible, it's not my fault if they don't read it.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#33 Apr 22 2011 at 6:57 PM Rating: Default
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
gbaji wrote:
Sorry. IMO you are wrong. The definition doesn't say a "lack of belief". It specifically says someone "denies or disbelieves". Disbelief is a belief in the opposite, not a lack of belief in the subject at hand. The prefix "dis" means to reverse the meaning.
Man you'll argue about anything. You're also wrong, and wrote a hilariously long and completely in-character post.

Quote:
dis·be·lief
   [dis-bi-leef]

–noun
the inability or refusal to believe or to accept something as true.
Note that it's "refusal to believe" and not "believing the opposite". Insert any other synonyms for refusal, the bottom line is "not believing".



Edited, Apr 22nd 2011 8:00pm by bsphil
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#34 Apr 22 2011 at 7:06 PM Rating: Excellent
Will swallow your soul
******
28,345 posts
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Samira wrote:
I think that if there is a God, it is so far beyond our comprehension as to be invisible to us. I don't believe in a God any more than a bacterium believes in humanity.


Eh, I wrote the bacterium bible, it's not my fault if they don't read it.


They're still trying to translate it.

____________________________
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

#35 Apr 22 2011 at 7:20 PM Rating: Good
***
2,069 posts
Samira wrote:
Ailitardif, Star Breaker wrote:
Samira wrote:
I think that if there is a God, it is so far beyond our comprehension as to be invisible to us. I don't believe in a God any more than a bacterium believes in humanity.


Eh, I wrote the bacterium bible, it's not my fault if they don't read it.


They're still trying to translate it.


I knew I should have written it in base pairs.
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#36 Apr 22 2011 at 8:51 PM Rating: Good
Repressed Memories
******
20,590 posts
In response to the OP, this is more of a marketing problem than a conceptual problem.

I doubt many atheists fit the technical definition of atheism, but find the connotation of being a fence sitter in describing themselves as agnostic to be too offensive and inaccurate. In reality, most are probably like me, in that they are teakettle agnostics.

A teakettle agnostic believes that it is fully impossible to ever disprove the existence of deities, in the same way that fully impossible it disprove the existence unicorns, invisible elves, or anything by mere lack of evidence for it. However the possibility is so small and the evidence so weak, that it is a worthless notion to consider. I can't prove my neighbors aren't space aliens hungering for my sweet human flesh, but I refuse to interact with them in anyway way that would give merit to that idea, because it's so incredibly unlikely and unsupported, because it's a terrible gamble. In behavior and practice they are almost identical to the technical definition of an atheist. However to call them agnostics implies to most people that they are far less certain than they are, that their weighting is somewhere around 50-50 when it's more like 1 to Graham's number.

If someone were to ask me to choose a word to describe myself, I would say atheist even though it is wrong, because it conveys a more accurate idea than the alternative (without boring them to death in a more technical explanation).

Edited, Apr 22nd 2011 9:53pm by Allegory
#37 Apr 22 2011 at 11:03 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Allegory wrote:
In response to the OP, this is more of a marketing problem than a conceptual problem.

I doubt many atheists fit the technical definition of atheism, but find the connotation of being a fence sitter in describing themselves as agnostic to be too offensive and inaccurate. In reality, most are probably like me, in that they are teakettle agnostics.

A teakettle agnostic believes that it is fully impossible to ever disprove the existence of deities, in the same way that fully impossible it disprove the existence unicorns, invisible elves, or anything by mere lack of evidence for it. However the possibility is so small and the evidence so weak, that it is a worthless notion to consider. I can't prove my neighbors aren't space aliens hungering for my sweet human flesh, but I refuse to interact with them in anyway way that would give merit to that idea, because it's so incredibly unlikely and unsupported, because it's a terrible gamble. In behavior and practice they are almost identical to the technical definition of an atheist. However to call them agnostics implies to most people that they are far less certain than they are, that their weighting is somewhere around 50-50 when it's more like 1 to Graham's number.

If someone were to ask me to choose a word to describe myself, I would say atheist even though it is wrong, because it conveys a more accurate idea than the alternative (without boring them to death in a more technical explanation).
...hence the term "agnostic atheist".
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#38 Apr 23 2011 at 12:45 AM Rating: Good
My thinking is that if you have to ask if you are an agnostic or not, then you probably are. Same with the probably *** question.
____________________________
Edited, Mar 21st 2011 2:14pm by Darqflame Lock Thread: Because Lubriderm is silly... ~ de geso

Almalieque wrote:
I know what a glory hole is, but I wasn't sure what the business part was in reference to.

My Anime List
#39 Apr 23 2011 at 1:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
They are totally different things. I am an agnostic atheist. There are also agnostic theists (actually very common). Fundamentally, they address different questions.

Whether you are atheist or not depends on how you answer the question, "Do you believe there is a god(s)?"
Whether you are an agnostic or not depends on how you answer the question, "Do you believe it is possible to know with certainty whether or not there is a god(s)?"

Atheism is a LACK of belief in God, and says nothing about what the person actually DOES believe except perhaps by process of elimination. A popularly humorous characterization of this argument is that atheism is a religion the same way not fishing is a hobby.

Edit: I could probably stand to check if bsphil has replied to something before I bother to.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 12:48am by Kachi
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#40 Apr 23 2011 at 2:49 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Kachi wrote:
They are totally different things. I am an agnostic atheist. There are also agnostic theists (actually very common). Fundamentally, they address different questions.

Whether you are atheist or not depends on how you answer the question, "Do you believe there is a god(s)?"
Whether you are an agnostic or not depends on how you answer the question, "Do you believe it is possible to know with certainty whether or not there is a god(s)?"

Atheism is a LACK of belief in God, and says nothing about what the person actually DOES believe except perhaps by process of elimination. A popularly humorous characterization of this argument is that atheism is a religion the same way not fishing is a hobby.

Edit: I could probably stand to check if bsphil has replied to something before I bother to.
I always heard that "not collecting stamps" is not a hobby. Same thing.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#41 Apr 23 2011 at 8:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Caffeine Queen
*****
14,450 posts
Kachi wrote:
Atheism is a LACK of belief in God, and says nothing about what the person actually DOES believe except perhaps by process of elimination. A popularly humorous characterization of this argument is that atheism is a religion the same way not fishing is a hobby.Edit: I could probably stand to check if bsphil has replied to something before I bother to.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 12:48am by Kachi


But it becomes this way to many people, a religion of sorts. Their belief in their disbelief is so overwhelming that they feel the need to push their (dis)beliefs onto anyone who broaches the topic. Some go so far as to become exactly what they loathe about religious folk, proselytizing their lack of belief to the point even other secular folk roll their eyes and take a step back. And those who go this far, can't even realize they have become the "enemy" they are so worked up over.

Im not saying all do this. But with anything, some people go to the extreme in trying to convert others to their way of thinking. And then, it does become a religion of some sort.

I have a friend down here, who, over the past year or so, has become like this. She's even become part of the Free Thought Society which has essentially become her "church". They protest together, have potluck dinners, made billboards and then talk on the news about it. And while I appreciate the message, to hear her talk, shes become a fanatic in this cause, and anyone who even hints at a differing opinion than one she offers in regards to this topic is the biggest idiot to ever walk the earth. You could only be more pathetic if you were actually religious too.
____________________________
Uglysasquatch wrote:
DSD kicked Alma in the *** on another thread over the weekend. Clearly, she kicked too hard as he's obviously still feeling it.

Suburban Rebel Mom Blog
#42Almalieque, Posted: Apr 23 2011 at 9:00 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) This is what I noticed from this forum. If you mention that you are religious, then you're instantly criticized. It's one thing to not believe in God, but when you start ridiculing others who believe in something that isn't any more believable than what you believe in, then you are crossing that line which you are referencing to.
#43 Apr 23 2011 at 9:22 AM Rating: Excellent
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,765 posts
Almalieque wrote:
This is what I noticed from this forum. If you mention that you are religious, then you're instantly criticized. It's one thing to not believe in God, but when you start ridiculing others who believe in something that isn't any more believable than what you believe in, then you are crossing that line which you are referencing to.
That's ridiculous. It is not this forum, it's a select few members on this forum. As always though, that small group is very vocal so it stands out as representing the forum, when in fact, it is not the case.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#44 Apr 23 2011 at 9:43 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,024 posts
Almalieque wrote:
[/quote]

This is what I noticed from this forum. If you mention that you are religious, then you're instantly criticized. It's one thing to not believe in God, but when you start ridiculing others who believe in something that isn't any more believable than what you believe in, then you are crossing that line which you are referencing to.


Obviously false (maybe you just don't spend enough time in the forums or reading what people write?). Several well known "lefty" posters are Christians here.

What is criticized is religious views brought into arguments to prove a point, ie Varus and his theocratic ideas.

Edit: SOME members may well do that. To say the forum at large (or even in a majority) does it is not true.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 11:46am by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#45 Apr 23 2011 at 9:44 AM Rating: Excellent
Gurue
*****
16,289 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
This is what I noticed from this forum. If you mention that you are religious, then you're instantly criticized. It's one thing to not believe in God, but when you start ridiculing others who believe in something that isn't any more believable than what you believe in, then you are crossing that line which you are referencing to.
That's ridiculous. It is not this forum, it's a select few members on this forum. As always though, that small group is very vocal so it stands out as representing the forum, when in fact, it is not the case.


We could always take a poll to find out how many.
#46 Apr 23 2011 at 9:46 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,069 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Almalieque wrote:


This is what I noticed from this forum. If you mention that you are religious, then you're instantly criticized. It's one thing to not believe in God, but when you start ridiculing others who believe in something that isn't any more believable than what you believe in, then you are crossing that line which you are referencing to.


Obviously false (maybe you just don't spend enough time in the forums or reading what people write?). Several well known "lefty" posters are Christians here.

What is criticized is religious views brought into arguments to prove a point, ie Varus and his theocratic ideas.


Some people just give Christianity a bad name.

Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 11:47am by Ailitardif
____________________________
http://www.marriageissogay.com/

Song of the day:
May 26, 2011 -- Transplants
#47 Apr 23 2011 at 9:54 AM Rating: Excellent
Caffeine Queen
*****
14,450 posts
[quote=Almalieque
This is what I noticed from this forum. If you mention that you are religious, then you're instantly criticized. It's one thing to not believe in God, but when you start ridiculing others who believe in something that isn't any more believable than what you believe in, then you are crossing that line which you are referencing to.[/quote]

lesson to learn: Its comments like this that create the feeling of Us vs. Them in any sensitive topic, and makes it harder to actually have a mature conversation. Don't take your observations from a few people and broadly color the entire population the same. It makes you look like an ignorant idiot both in this forum, and anywhere else you apply this grossly overgeneralization technique to. I dont go around saying every Christian I meet is a homophobic racist KKK ******* intent on destroying any other faith out there that isnt their own, because it's only a select few people out of millions of people who share the same faith that are actually like that. Give the other side equal credit, whether it be in this forum or in the actual world, mmmkay?
____________________________
Uglysasquatch wrote:
DSD kicked Alma in the *** on another thread over the weekend. Clearly, she kicked too hard as he's obviously still feeling it.

Suburban Rebel Mom Blog
#48 Apr 23 2011 at 10:09 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
9,090 posts
DSD wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

This is what I noticed from this forum. If you mention that you are religious, then you're instantly criticized. It's one thing to not believe in God, but when you start ridiculing others who believe in something that isn't any more believable than what you believe in, then you are crossing that line which you are referencing to.


lesson to learn: Its comments like this that create the feeling of Us vs. Them in any sensitive topic, and makes it harder to actually have a mature conversation. Don't take your observations from a few people and broadly color the entire population the same. It makes you look like an ignorant idiot both in this forum, and anywhere else you apply this grossly overgeneralization technique to. I dont go around saying every Christian I meet is a homophobic racist KKK @#%^ intent on destroying any other faith out there that isnt their own, because it's only a select few people out of millions of people who share the same faith that are actually like that. Give the other side equal credit, whether it be in this forum or in the actual world, mmmkay?


"Over generalization"? I said that was something that I noticed on this forum. I didn't claim that everyone does it. I'm speaking from my experience. I've met many people who don't believe in a religion, but most of the people that I've met that attacked religion unnecessarily came from this forum. There is no malicious intent in that statement, nor does it make me look like an idiot. It's what I've noticed and if you don't like, then that's a personal problem.

I stated that their beliefs aren't any more believable than certain religious beliefs, so I'm not sure how that counts as creating a "vs" atmosphere.
____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#49 Apr 23 2011 at 10:18 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
But Alma, how is this forum different? Why are you singling out this forum? Have you never met an atheist before coming here?
#50 Apr 23 2011 at 10:29 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
9,090 posts
Guenny wrote:
But Alma, how is this forum different? Why are you singling out this forum? Have you never met an atheist before coming here?


Almalieque just wrote:
I've met many people who don't believe in a religion, but most of the people that I've met that attacked religion unnecessarily came from this forum

____________________________
Demea wrote:
Almalieque wrote:

I'm biased against statistics
#51 Apr 23 2011 at 11:47 AM Rating: Excellent
Caffeine Queen
*****
14,450 posts
Almalieque wrote:
"Over generalization"? I said that was something that I noticed on this forum. I didn't claim that everyone does it. I'm speaking from my experience. I've met many people who don't believe in a religion, but most of the people that I've met that attacked religion unnecessarily came from this forum. There is no malicious intent in that statement, nor does it make me look like an idiot. It's what I've noticed and if you don't like, then that's a personal problem.

I stated that their beliefs aren't any more believable than certain religious beliefs, so I'm not sure how that counts as creating a "vs" atmosphere.



By stating *this forum* as opposed to *some people on this forum* you overgeneralize and create a broad stroke of stereotyping that does indeed, make you look like an idiot and whether or not your intention is to be malicious, that is what the end result becomes. Its the refusal to take responsibility of stereotyping that does indeed cause part of the issues when you have 2 sides that disagree on a hot topic, such as faith. By continuing the stereotype you cause more harm. Is it a personal problem? Partially. Im frankly sick and tired of hearing about "those **** atheists/agnostics" and "those **** Christians". It ****** me off when Im lumped into a category of highly vocal assholes by religious folk who dont care to take the time to learn not everyone not of a faith is a person without morales. Just as Im tired of other people saying all christians are sheep bleating their faith to others. Do both sides exist? Yes. But does that mean each person who believes one way or the other goes to an extreme each time? No. And thus if you make broad statements you are an idiot for continuing that harmful allusion. And if you cant see why that counts as creating an Us vs. Them atmosphere then you're even more of an idiot. /shrug



Edited, Apr 23rd 2011 1:48pm by DSD
____________________________
Uglysasquatch wrote:
DSD kicked Alma in the *** on another thread over the weekend. Clearly, she kicked too hard as he's obviously still feeling it.

Suburban Rebel Mom Blog
« Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 34 All times are in CST
Almalieque, Kavekkk, Omegavegeta, Poldaran, Anonymous Guests (30)