Forum Settings
       
1 2 3 4 Next »
Reply To Thread

Re-inventing the languageFollow

#152varusword75, Posted: May 09 2011 at 8:15 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Drift,
#153 May 09 2011 at 8:16 AM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,681 posts
Driftwood wrote:
Quote:
lol...how many people have you ever employeed?


If you're running a successful business and running it properly, then the costs of paying one's employees should be covered by the profits, while still leaving enough for the owner(s) to retain an adequate(or more than adequate depending on the profit).

If you're paying employees out of your own pocket, either your business is losing money, or you're employing more people than you can afford.
I'm not sure exactly what varus was attacking in Kachi's post, but I can promise you, that lower stress is not part of the equation, typically.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#154 May 09 2011 at 8:18 AM Rating: Decent
****
9,271 posts
Quote:
Unsurprising you completely missed the point; it's not the money I was referring to. Try again


You meant the stress? Sorry, usually tends to be money when it comes to your posts like that. Anyone who thinks that going into business of any sort isn't going to be stressful, really shouldn't go into business.
____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#155 May 09 2011 at 9:04 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Driftwood wrote:
Quote:
lol...how many people have you ever employeed?


If you're running a successful business and running it properly, then the costs of paying one's employees should be covered by the profits, while still leaving enough for the owner(s) to retain an adequate(or more than adequate depending on the profit).

If you're paying employees out of your own pocket, either your business is losing money, or you're employing more people than you can afford.
Or you're still starting up. When my mom co-owned her own physical therapy clinic she couldn't cash about a half a year's worth of her own paychecks because she just didn't have the money on hand (though she was able to pay the two other employees they did have at their clinic). Wasn't until they were able to sign a contract with Kohler company here in WI to do their outpatient PT that she could start paying herself.

Mind you, once that happened, she was able to pay herself very well.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#156 May 09 2011 at 9:40 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
****
4,041 posts
Kachi wrote:
gosh damn


Really?
#157varusword75, Posted: May 09 2011 at 12:55 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) bsphil,
#158 May 09 2011 at 1:00 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,681 posts
varusword75 wrote:
And it usually takes at least 5yrs before the business is rolling along.
That's probably more of a specific industry thing. Hotels expect to stabilize in year 3 most often, although it can take up to 5 years.
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#159varusword75, Posted: May 09 2011 at 1:09 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Ugly,
#160 May 09 2011 at 1:43 PM Rating: Good
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
varusword75 wrote:
And it usually takes at least 5yrs before the business is rolling along.
Ah, they were doing fine much quicker than that. It was about 5 years when they ended up losing their contract with Kohler because she refused to say that a very clear case of on the job injury was not caused on the job (Kohler was trying to get out of covering the costs of rehabilitation). They ended up contracting to a different clinic who would say that it wasn't an on the job injury. Was one of the big reasons she ended up volunteering for the Obama campaign in 2007-2008 despite being a lifelong Republican because she had gotten sick of big businesses, lol.

She stopped giving a shit about it a few years ago now and is retired.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#161varusword75, Posted: May 09 2011 at 3:15 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) bsphil,
#162 May 09 2011 at 3:18 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
varusword75 wrote:
Boy did she make a mistake.
I'm sure you'd like to think that.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#163 May 09 2011 at 6:33 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I'm actually very receptive to legitimate arguments that contradict my own, but like most people here, insults and a few vocal opponents alone aren't enough to convince me that I'm wrong. I apologize for requiring arguments more compelling than some of you are willing or able to provide. And I acknowledge that there's a subset of people that find me unlikable. They happen to be the people that matter the least to me, but they are endlessly fun to fuck with. They also seem to like the attention. Further, I am aware that comments like these make me less likable to the average person. I really don't feel too bad about this whole arrangement.

As for being a CEO/manager, if you have high stress AND don't have the resources to manage that stress, you are most likely incompetent and/or unsuccessful.

Quote:
Really?


No, I was being facetious.

____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#164 May 09 2011 at 7:10 PM Rating: Good
Soulless Internet Tiger
******
34,681 posts
Kachi wrote:
As for being a CEO/manager, if you have high stress AND don't have the resources to manage that stress, you are most likely incompetent and/or unsuccessful.
Since you were originally talking about the wealthy, I'll assume "manager" isn't a low level or even mid manager. What do you think of as wealthy?
____________________________
Donate. One day it could be your family.
Need a hotel at a great rate? More hotels being added weekly.

An invasion of armies can be resisted, but not an idea whose time has come. Victor Hugo

#165 May 10 2011 at 9:25 AM Rating: Good
Under A Thumb...
*****
10,008 posts
Uglysasquatch wrote:
Still need help answering your question?


Nope. I'm on the wagon.
____________________________
Quote:
I would imagine that if you could understand Morse code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy.
Lebowski Fest | Church of the Latter-Day Dude | Nick And Dooie!
#166varusword75, Posted: May 10 2011 at 3:28 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) bsphil,
#167 May 10 2011 at 3:47 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Except she paid higher taxes in her business because of Republicans.

Whatever you need to help you sleep at night though.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#168varusword75, Posted: May 10 2011 at 3:49 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) bsphil,
#169 May 10 2011 at 3:54 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
varusword75 wrote:
bsphil,

Quote:
Except she paid higher taxes in her business because of Republicans.

Whatever you need to help you sleep at night though.


Remind me again when the Dems took over congress and when the market started crashing.
After my mom decided to leave her business and retire? lol
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#170 May 10 2011 at 3:59 PM Rating: Decent
****
9,271 posts
Quote:
Why? Because you're mom got tired of fighting "big business" who are all obviously conservative republcians she worked to get Obama elected so he could f*ck up everybodies business, especially small businesses like hers?


I'm just not seeing the evidence of this. I'm actually seeing that his policies tend to be the opposite of what you say.

Sept 2010: $12 billion in tax breaks for small companies.

2008/09: $15 Billion to loosen credit and help small businesses.

Feb 2010: $33 billion in tax incentives to promote hiring, and multiple other good things.

This is what he's doing, or trying to do. You're just stating the party line without any evidence whatsoever.
____________________________
Master Meleagant Driftwood of Stromm, Warrior of the 69th level(EQ)
Rhyys, Human Warrior of 67th level(WoW)

The World Is Not A Cold Dead Place.
Alan Watts wrote:
I am omnipotent insofar as I am the Universe, but I am not an omnipotent in the role of Alan Watts, only cunning


Eske wrote:
I've always read Driftwood as the straight man in varus' double act. It helps if you read all of his posts in the voice of Droopy Dog.
#171 May 10 2011 at 4:00 PM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,739 posts
Driftwood wrote:
I'm actually seeing that his policies tend to be the opposite of what you say.
Reality in general tends to be the opposite of what Varus says it is.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
#172 May 10 2011 at 4:02 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
4,041 posts
God wants you to live in a fantasy world. It's the Christian way!
#173 May 10 2011 at 5:59 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Quote:
Since you were originally talking about the wealthy, I'll assume "manager" isn't a low level or even mid manager. What do you think of as wealthy?


I'm still talking about the wealthy, but I amended my point to include the lowest end of wealth for varus' sake. If you're making 40,000 a year as a manager, you may very well be stressed. If you're making 400,000 a year, you have no excuse for being especially stressed. But then most people view their life stress as significantly greater than average regardless of their actual circumstances. When you're poor, you're struggling so hard, and when you're not, you have so much responsibility!
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
1 2 3 4 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 52 All times are in CDT
DecendentMonk, Elinda, IDrownFish, RavennofTitan, Anonymous Guests (48)