Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

ExcerciseFollow

#1 Jan 18 2013 at 7:58 AM Rating: Excellent
So, have you guys been doing anything to exercise recently? I figure there's probably a few who are, considering the whole new years resolutions and all.

Four months ago when I joined my school's crew team, I could just barely run a mile. This morning, I rowed 10 kilometers on a machine, then immediately got up and ran 4.4 miles in the 30 degree weather, all before 7:30 AM.

It's pretty amazing what you can do if you really work for it.

Have you guys been keeping active? What's your routine normally, if you've got one? ****, even just getting out and walking for five minutes a day is awesome.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist ****.

Steam: TuxedoFish
battle.net: Fishy #1649
GW2: Fishy.4129


Join us in the =4 subreddit!
#2 Jan 18 2013 at 8:06 AM Rating: Excellent
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
I usually walk a mile over lunch but the winter's cold has put a crimp in that. Today's supposed to be in the low 40's though so maybe I'll head back out.
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#3 Jan 18 2013 at 8:14 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,905 posts
It's not part of my resolution, but we're back to hitting the gym. We're only on our second time back today thanks to being benched by some colds. As for routine, weightlifting and light cardio.
#4 Jan 18 2013 at 8:32 AM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,320 posts
The only regular exercise I get is walking. Like Joph the winter puts a bit of damper on things, but we really do try and get out four times a week. This means two evening walks during the work week. We have no street lights so a walk requires flashlights, reflector vests and of course warm clothes. It's an effort that takes both of us guilting one another. Once we're out though, I keep the hubby moving along at a nice clip.

I've been out snow-shoeing twice this winter and have done lots of snow shoveling. Beyond that I do some bit of core strengthening and stretching almost nightly. It's nothing terribly strenuous but enough to crack out my back and shoulders. Also crunches are a necessity as I have an irrational fear of acquiring a bot belly.
____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#5 Jan 18 2013 at 8:51 AM Rating: Excellent
I usually play squash and then do a short focused workout. I also bike a lot, all year round.
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#6 Jan 18 2013 at 9:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Meat Popsicle
*****
12,018 posts
I have to 'keep active' for work, which means 30 minutes of some kind of sustained activity roughly 2-3 times a week. That gets me the discounted insurance rates. Usually it involves taking the kids to the park or the zoo and chasing them around for a while. Also if I miss my bus I'll walk down the line for a while and catch the next one at a later stop.
____________________________
That monster in the mirror, he just might be you. -Grover
#7 Jan 18 2013 at 10:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,024 posts
I walk several miles a day, but that's about it. I usually do about 2-3 miles to and from work, and 2-3 during my lunch break. I also (1-2 times a week) lift some dumbbells while watching TV at home; biceps and triceps.

Also, joined a biggest loser competition at work; currently tied for last place, only having lost .69% of my body mass after 3 weeks Smiley: laugh

I plan on restarting the P90X on Monday (which is a holiday). It's gonna kill, but I have several friends promising to hold me to it.

Edited, Jan 18th 2013 11:11am by LockeColeMA
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#8 Jan 18 2013 at 10:51 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
I cycle to work which is a 7 mile trip. good enough to keep me reasonably fit.

Now, if it keeps freezing here I'll be able to do some proper skating, I've been looking forward to that for months.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#9 Jan 18 2013 at 10:58 AM Rating: Good
******
44,514 posts
IDrownFish of the Seven Seas wrote:
What's your routine normally, if you've got one?
Five mile jog Monday, Wednesday, Friday, 30 minute swim Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, rest on Sunday. Monday through Friday alternate between 100 pushups and situps every hour. Sometimes I'll switch up the situps with crunches, but not often enough to be considered routine.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#10 Jan 18 2013 at 12:09 PM Rating: Excellent
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
I sometimes lift my beer with my left hand to keep my body symmetrical.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#11 Jan 18 2013 at 12:14 PM Rating: Good
I run 6-9 miles a week, mainly on the weekends. Going to start upping that as the weather gets warmer and I have more daylight. I'm going to move up from 5k runs and start doing 10k runs this year. I also exercise most week nights after work doing P90X workouts, though I'm not doing the whole P90X regimen anymore. I also have an elliptical that I use a couple times a week.
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
#12 Jan 18 2013 at 12:32 PM Rating: Good
Unforkgettable
*****
13,251 posts
I've been taking the dog for a walk every day. She's totally in a routine now, so she guilts me into it when I don't feel like going. I think it's about a two-mile walk.
____________________________
Banh
#13 Jan 18 2013 at 3:15 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
IDrownFish of the Seven Seas wrote:
What's your routine normally, if you've got one?


I train at an MMA gym here in NYC. The schedule changes a little here and there but I mostly do:

Monday
Strength & Conditioning (lifting)
No-gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Tuesday
Strength & Conditioning (cross training)
No-gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Wednesday
Day off
Thursday
Strength & Conditioning (cross training)
Muay Thai
Friday
Strength & Conditioning (lifting)
No-gi Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

I take most weekends off (once in a while I'll hit up our apartment's gym to do some cardio and ab work). Each session is 1-1.5 hours. The S&C classes vary a lot - we cycle through a bunch of different lifting and aerobic exercises. I prefer no-gi BJJ, but once in a blue moon I'll throw on the pajamas and roll.

I used to go to a BJJ-exclusive place, but I'm liking this one a lot more...it's much more inclusive, and less self-serious. The instructors and classmates do a good job of keeping me moving, but there's room to joke around and keep things light, which I really appreciate. It's a **** of a workout, but it's also competitive and fun, which helps me stay motivated.

Edited, Jan 18th 2013 4:18pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#14 Jan 18 2013 at 4:59 PM Rating: Good
@#%^
*****
15,822 posts
I've been cycling through the Insanity workouts. Finished up the full program earlier this month and now I'm just cycling through the more difficult ones until I decide what I want to do next. I don't really want to buy weights or a gym membership if I can help it.
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#15 Jan 19 2013 at 6:45 PM Rating: Decent
****
7,819 posts
IDrownFish of the Seven Seas wrote:
So, have you guys been doing anything to exercise recently? I figure there's probably a few who are, considering the whole new years resolutions and all.

Four months ago when I joined my school's crew team, I could just barely run a mile. This morning, I rowed 10 kilometers on a machine, then immediately got up and ran 4.4 miles in the 30 degree weather, all before 7:30 AM.

It's pretty amazing what you can do if you really work for it.

Have you guys been keeping active? What's your routine normally, if you've got one? ****, even just getting out and walking for five minutes a day is awesome.



I really need to get out and exercise. All this talk about exercise made me hungry.
Now I think I'll go the fridge and make me a sandwich.
____________________________
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v619/ImGatomon/Request.jpg

. “Power even if it is raw uncontrolled potential is just as dangerous as a trained assassin. It is unpredictable and deadly if your are not prepared." ~Gatomon From the story A Fox Among Wolves.
#16 Jan 22 2013 at 5:18 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,180 posts
Monday - circuit training
Tuesday - Karate
Wednesday - climbing
Thursday - rest
Friday - circuit training
Saturday - Taekwon do and climbing
Sunday rest

Should be adding climbing on Tuesday and Thursday morning and I'm going to see if I can manage to do Taekwon do on Mondays after circuit training as well. Hopefully when it starts to get warmer I'll be able to get out of bed earlier and maybe add some cardio classes or jogging in the morning.

I was never really an exercise person growing up, but it's amazing how much of a difference finding activities you enjoy doing makes.
#17 Jan 22 2013 at 8:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,691 posts
2-3 times a week we hit the gym
30-40 minutes of cardio
weights until we are tired and go home

This is the first time we have worked out in a looooooooong time, so still taking it quite gentle.
#18 Jan 22 2013 at 8:44 AM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,264 posts
I'm terrible when it comes to exercise. I've been meaning to start swimming again, though current health issues preclude that possibility. Sigh.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#19 Jan 22 2013 at 10:30 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
I race-walked in a 5K yesterday. 3.1 miles in a bit under an hour.

My legs are killing me today!

Most days I end up going to the gym and riding the elliptical for 30 minutes.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#20 Jan 22 2013 at 11:01 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
How do your legs hurt after walking 5k? Smiley: dubious
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#21 Jan 22 2013 at 11:11 AM Rating: Excellent
I've been having fun with fitocracy lately. yay, leveling
____________________________
01001001 00100000 01001100 01001001 01001011 01000101 00100000 01000011 01000001 01001011 01000101
You'll always be stupid, you'll just be stupid with more information in your brain
Forum FAQ
#22 Jan 22 2013 at 12:26 PM Rating: Good
Supreme Lionator
*****
14,174 posts
Quote:
I race-walked in a 5K yesterday. 3.1 miles in a bit under an hour.


That's not race walking. That's just walking.
____________________________
“Socialism never took root in America because the poor see themselves not as an exploited proletariat but as temporarily embarrassed millionaires.”
#23 Jan 22 2013 at 1:33 PM Rating: Good
Skelly Poker Since 2008
*****
16,320 posts
catwho wrote:
I race-walked in a 5K yesterday. 3.1 miles in a bit under an hour.

My legs are killing me today!

Most days I end up going to the gym and riding the elliptical for 30 minutes.

Lol, You make an exercise machine sound like an amusement park ride. If only it were so.

Good job on getting out and walking for an hour though. (I'm assuming the 5k was outside..Smiley: wink)

____________________________
Alma wrote:
Post and be happy!
#24 Jan 22 2013 at 2:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
Kavekk wrote:
Quote:
I race-walked in a 5K yesterday. 3.1 miles in a bit under an hour.


That's not race walking. That's just walking.


I have short legs, okay? Smiley: bah
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#25 Jan 22 2013 at 2:50 PM Rating: Good
@#%^
*****
15,822 posts
Tynuv wrote:
Monday - circuit training
Tuesday - Karate
Wednesday - climbing
Thursday - rest
Friday - circuit training
Saturday - Taekwon do and climbing
Sunday rest

Should be adding climbing on Tuesday and Thursday morning and I'm going to see if I can manage to do Taekwon do on Mondays after circuit training as well. Hopefully when it starts to get warmer I'll be able to get out of bed earlier and maybe add some cardio classes or jogging in the morning.

I was never really an exercise person growing up, but it's amazing how much of a difference finding activities you enjoy doing makes.


I think the problem I've been having lately is that I'm not really having 'rest' days. I'll do 1-2 workouts a day plus or minus some activities (volleyball, hockey). What are peoples thoughts on rest days? How many should I have?
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#26 Jan 22 2013 at 6:19 PM Rating: Good
Sir Xsarus wrote:
I've been having fun with fitocracy lately. yay, leveling


Looks stupid so I joined. PunkFloyd
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
#27 Jan 23 2013 at 4:37 AM Rating: Excellent
Guru
***
1,180 posts
Iamadam wrote:

I think the problem I've been having lately is that I'm not really having 'rest' days. I'll do 1-2 workouts a day plus or minus some activities (volleyball, hockey). What are peoples thoughts on rest days? How many should I have?

It probably depends on the intensity of your workouts and what you want out of exercise. I've heard that for building muscle you should have at least one day in between workouts (but if you focus on a particular group one day you could do another the next). For cardio I'd probably just try and work on how you feel, if your muscles hurt right at the start (or even before) you exercise then you might be overdoing it, if everything's fine then you've probably got one of your days where the exercise you're doing is light enough that your body can recover from more intense workouts.

My plan is to keep at least 1 day free a week because I really don't want to injure myself from overwork and end up having to take weeks off from everything to recover.
#28 Jan 23 2013 at 7:06 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
PunkFloyd, King of Bards wrote:
Sir Xsarus wrote:
I've been having fun with fitocracy lately. yay, leveling


Looks stupid so I joined. PunkFloyd
Probably better for your physique than diddling sheep.
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#29 Jan 23 2013 at 8:57 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,024 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
I walk several miles a day, but that's about it. I usually do about 2-3 miles to and from work, and 2-3 during my lunch break. I also (1-2 times a week) lift some dumbbells while watching TV at home; biceps and triceps.

Also, joined a biggest loser competition at work; currently tied for last place, only having lost .69% of my body mass after 3 weeks Smiley: laugh

I plan on restarting the P90X on Monday (which is a holiday). It's gonna kill, but I have several friends promising to hold me to it.

Been doing, er, "shortened" versions of the P90X since Monday. Shortened because I typically last half an hour before collapsing Smiley: grin The first day was "chest and back" exercises, and by 30 minutes in my upper body was shaking like a drug addict in need of a fix. Yesterday I did 2/3 of the Cardio X video; stopped halfway through the Plyometrics workout, which was a good choice as my legs are sore this morning (Cardio X + 2 1/2 hours of working yesterday is wiping me out).

Hopefully I can keep going with it... we'll see. I usually manage one week and fall apart on week two. Best I've ever done is a month. And I'm going to have company over from Friday through Sunday, so... we'll see how it goes Smiley: glare
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#30 Jan 23 2013 at 9:36 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,322 posts
I've been doing P90X since early December and thinking of switching to Insanity. Tues, Thurs, and Sat I also go up to the gym with the boyfriend and do light weight training and more cardio plus 30-45min worth of laps in the pool. I would not step foot in a gym but because he is a student, he goes for free and I only have to pay a nominal fee as a guest. I forgot how heavenly a heated pool can be when it is 30-40 degrees outside.
____________________________
Tyrrant wrote:
Sure you are, as subtle as a hand grenade :)



I am a ninja pirate!


#31 Jan 23 2013 at 10:31 AM Rating: Good
@#%^
*****
15,822 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Been doing, er, "shortened" versions of the P90X since Monday. Shortened because I typically last half an hour before collapsing Smiley: grin The first day was "chest and back" exercises, and by 30 minutes in my upper body was shaking like a drug addict in need of a fix. Yesterday I did 2/3 of the Cardio X video; stopped halfway through the Plyometrics workout, which was a good choice as my legs are sore this morning (Cardio X + 2 1/2 hours of working yesterday is wiping me out).

Hopefully I can keep going with it... we'll see. I usually manage one week and fall apart on week two. Best I've ever done is a month. And I'm going to have company over from Friday through Sunday, so... we'll see how it goes Smiley: glare


You won't see any progress with an attitude like that.
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#32 Jan 23 2013 at 10:35 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
12,024 posts
Iamadam wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Been doing, er, "shortened" versions of the P90X since Monday. Shortened because I typically last half an hour before collapsing Smiley: grin The first day was "chest and back" exercises, and by 30 minutes in my upper body was shaking like a drug addict in need of a fix. Yesterday I did 2/3 of the Cardio X video; stopped halfway through the Plyometrics workout, which was a good choice as my legs are sore this morning (Cardio X + 2 1/2 hours of working yesterday is wiping me out).

Hopefully I can keep going with it... we'll see. I usually manage one week and fall apart on week two. Best I've ever done is a month. And I'm going to have company over from Friday through Sunday, so... we'll see how it goes Smiley: glare


You won't see any progress with an attitude like that.

Currently I'm trying to lose weight, not bulk up Smiley: tongue With an ~1800 calorie diet, walking several miles a day, and doing a good 30 minutes of intense workouts, I expect to see the pounds drop fairly quickly.

I'm winning that biggest loser competition, dammit! Smiley: mad
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#33 Jan 23 2013 at 10:40 AM Rating: Good
@#%^
*****
15,822 posts
I wouldn't think that P90X is ideal to help you lose weight. I always thought of it as a routine to help you bulk and tone up.
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#34 Jan 23 2013 at 11:37 AM Rating: Excellent
******
44,514 posts
Iamadam wrote:
What are peoples thoughts on rest days? How many should I have?
If you're trying to bulk up, you want more time to rest to give your muscles time to rebuild. If you're only interested in conditioning and/or maintenance then I'd say one day of rest is more than enough.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#35 Jan 23 2013 at 12:44 PM Rating: Good
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
PunkFloyd, King of Bards wrote:
Sir Xsarus wrote:
I've been having fun with fitocracy lately. yay, leveling


Looks stupid so I joined. PunkFloyd
Probably better for your physique than diddling sheep.

I already exercise regularly. I have for years. It's the broadcasting of it on a website that I find stupid. That being said, I'm level 2.

I've been doing P90X for about a year now. I did the program twice through, but now I just cherry pick workouts throughout the week and do a lot of running and some elliptical for cardio. P90X is great for bulking/toning up, but for weight loss I've found that running really works the best for me.
____________________________
Love,
PunkFloyd
#36 Jan 23 2013 at 12:46 PM Rating: Good
@#%^
*****
15,822 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Iamadam wrote:
What are peoples thoughts on rest days? How many should I have?
If you're trying to bulk up, you want more time to rest to give your muscles time to rebuild. If you're only interested in conditioning and/or maintenance then I'd say one day of rest is more than enough.


Hangover Sundays it is!
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#37 Jan 28 2013 at 8:10 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
23,921 posts
hour walk at lunch but winters are either 20F or 40F and rain so ...

I torrented a bunch of infomercial workouts, did Insanity for like two weeks last year and it was brutal. Jillian Michaels 30 minute workout was pretty decent and 10 minute trainer is great but you really need to do 2+ 10 min segments a day to see much from it.
____________________________
Rochefort Dean ~ FFXIV ARR ~ Ultros ~ DoH all @ 50
Soracloud ~ FFXI ~ RIP

Beer Advocate

Friar Tuck wrote:
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER.

#38 Jan 28 2013 at 8:48 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
15,264 posts
Hallertau wrote:
hour walk at lunch


There used to be a younger woman at work who was very overweight (I'd estimate somewhere around 350 lbs). She'd also wear clothes probably two sizes too small for herself. Guys in the shop would constantly make fun of her (behind her back), etc. I'd feel kind of bad because I'd laugh at the jokes, and at Lunch you'd see her walking laps around the parking lot.

But then of course for the mid morning break, she'd have a frozen hamburger and two corn dogs from the frozen food vending machine, and would always have a non-diet soda two-liter sitting at her work station, so I stopped feeling bad.

So remember... Walking doesn't do **** if you still eat crap like that.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#39 Jan 28 2013 at 11:21 PM Rating: Decent
@#%^
*****
15,822 posts
Hallertau wrote:
I torrented a bunch of infomercial workouts, did Insanity for like two weeks last year and it was brutal..


You ******* *****.
____________________________
"I have lost my way
But I hear a tale
About a heaven in Alberta
Where they've got all **** for a basement"

#40 Jan 29 2013 at 5:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
23,921 posts
TirithRR wrote:
Hallertau wrote:
hour walk at lunch


There used to be a younger woman at work who was very overweight (I'd estimate somewhere around 350 lbs). She'd also wear clothes probably two sizes too small for herself. Guys in the shop would constantly make fun of her (behind her back), etc. I'd feel kind of bad because I'd laugh at the jokes, and at Lunch you'd see her walking laps around the parking lot.

But then of course for the mid morning break, she'd have a frozen hamburger and two corn dogs from the frozen food vending machine, and would always have a non-diet soda two-liter sitting at her work station, so I stopped feeling bad.

So remember... Walking doesn't do sh*t if you still eat crap like that.


Yeah I never understood those people, I guess good intentions but that won't do sh*t for fat burning. My walks would burn on average 3 weight watcher points, my breakfast, snack and lunch would normally equate to 3 points which gets me to dinner and beer with a full days worth of points @ 6pm at night.

Iamadam wrote:
Hallertau wrote:
I torrented a bunch of infomercial workouts, did Insanity for like two weeks last year and it was brutal..


You @#%^ing @#%^.


<3 ****


Edited, Jan 29th 2013 6:35am by Hallertau
____________________________
Rochefort Dean ~ FFXIV ARR ~ Ultros ~ DoH all @ 50
Soracloud ~ FFXI ~ RIP

Beer Advocate

Friar Tuck wrote:
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER.

#41 Jan 29 2013 at 6:26 AM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
It's just too bad that craft beers aren't exactly light on the calories right?
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#42 Jan 29 2013 at 1:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
23,921 posts
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
It's just too bad that craft beers aren't exactly light on the calories right?


Light Beer is 3 points, Regular are 5 points. According to Weight Watchers, beer is zero points without taking alcohol content into consideration. The higher the alc (like most craft beers) the higher the points but its a pain to calculate so I consider anything above light 5 points because my body burns alcohol like a furnace.
____________________________
Rochefort Dean ~ FFXIV ARR ~ Ultros ~ DoH all @ 50
Soracloud ~ FFXI ~ RIP

Beer Advocate

Friar Tuck wrote:
This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER.

#43 Jan 29 2013 at 5:09 PM Rating: Good
******
27,272 posts
Well, bring on the barrel aged imperial stouts then! Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Theophany wrote:
YOU'RE AN ELITIST @#%^ AETHIEN, NO WONDER YOU HAVE NO FRIENDS AND PEOPLE HATE YOU.
someproteinguy wrote:
Aethien you take more terrible pictures than a Japanese tourist.
Astarin wrote:
One day, Maz, you'll learn not to click on anything Aeth links.
#44 Jan 31 2013 at 7:26 AM Rating: Decent
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
Hallertau wrote:
TirithRR wrote:
There used to be a younger woman at work who was very overweight (I'd estimate somewhere around 350 lbs). She'd also wear clothes probably two sizes too small for herself. Guys in the shop would constantly make fun of her (behind her back), etc. I'd feel kind of bad because I'd laugh at the jokes, and at Lunch you'd see her walking laps around the parking lot.

But then of course for the mid morning break, she'd have a frozen hamburger and two corn dogs from the frozen food vending machine, and would always have a non-diet soda two-liter sitting at her work station, so I stopped feeling bad.

So remember... Walking doesn't do sh*t if you still eat crap like that.


Yeah I never understood those people, I guess good intentions but that won't do sh*t for fat burning.


It think we need to sort out some things here:

To lose weight, you have to burn more calories than you take in. Simple as that. Your daily caloric sum* needs to be negative to lose weight. Doesn't matter if you eat fried chocolate bars and drink carbonated soda all day long, as long as your caloric sum stays negative.

Now, using the woman mentioned above as an example: Assuming her weight, prior to her exercising, was somewhat in balance (caloric sum is zero, or close to it), she might actually be losing weight, or at least no longer be gaining it, despite her continued intake of large and unhealthy meals. If her weight was in balance, the exercising would create the caloric deficit needed to start the weight loss.

Of course, eating unhealthy can lead to other issues, such as diabetes, gallstones and/or obstipation, but for the purpose of losing weight, the type of food you ingest doesn't matter**, as long as your caloric sum stays negative.

Just thought I'd bring it up since you guys think that eating junk food makes weight loss impossible. It doesn't, but it's not healthy. Also, counting points is silly. Just eat less than you used to. Boom, weight loss achieved.

* Caloric sum = calories in - calories out
** Healthy food usually enables you to reach satiety with less calories taken in, making it easier to reach the caloric deficit needed to lose weight.

Edited, Jan 31st 2013 2:28pm by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#45 Jan 31 2013 at 7:52 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
27,905 posts
Mazra wrote:
Just eat less than you used to. Boom, weight loss achieved.
Assuming, of course, that your decrease in eating doesn't reduce your metabolism or sap you of the energy you need to keep up your current activity level.
#46 Jan 31 2013 at 8:26 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
Which is why those crash diets where you go down to 500 a day are ridiculous.

Yes, you lose weight real snappylike, but the moment you start eating more than a grapefruit a day, you'll gain weight super duper fast. Patience is a virtue when it comes to losing weight.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#47 Jan 31 2013 at 9:52 AM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
It's also not quite as simple as "calorie in < calorie out" because numerous studies are now showing that your internal gut biome also has a lot to do with your metabolism's efficiency. Naturally skinny people have inefficient gut bacteria. People who can't lose weight no matter how much they cut down (within safe levels) have overly efficient gut bacteria. Those folks have to add a lot more to the exercise of the equation to make a dent. Eventually, the diet industry hopes to develop a pro-biotic that has a mix of inefficient bacteria that can replace the hard working gut biome in a fat person with a bunch of lazy bacteria that kind of half-*** digestion instead. It's not easy, though.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#48 Jan 31 2013 at 1:43 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
An inefficient gut biome just speeds up the process, it's not a requirement for losing weight. A super efficient gut biome can't extract more calories from a meal than there are calories available. As long as your caloric intake is less than your caloric expenditure, you will lose weight.

Anyone claiming they can take in less calories than they spend and not lose weight are superhuman and need to phone Stan Lee, because they've gained the ability to create mass from nothing. Congratulations.

Edited, Jan 31st 2013 8:44pm by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#49 Feb 01 2013 at 9:19 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,541 posts
A calorie (specifically, a kilocalorie) is actually really nothing more than an estimate. What we call a calorie refers to the amount of energy needed to heat up one gram of water one degree celcius. But a lot of science shows that our measurements of that energy in food are inaccurate, because processing and cooking change the bioavailaibility of those calories. Cooked carrots do not, in theory, contain any more calories than their raw counterparts, at least not until you add butter and cinnamon and sugar. But the heating process used to cook them, whether steaming or boiling, alters the protein structure, softening it and ultimately making it easier to digest. The gut biome is going to be able to extra more calories from the cooked carrots than it will the raw carrots, even though on paper they still have the same calories.

That's one reason the raw food enthusiasts are so thin and "healthy." They claim it's because their bodies are able to extract nutrients from the raw foods they eat better, but in reality it's the opposite. On the other hand, I've met fat vegans before.

Edited, Feb 1st 2013 10:19pm by catwho
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#50 Feb 02 2013 at 6:11 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,218 posts
catwho wrote:
What we call a calorie refers to the amount of energy needed to heat up one gram of water one degree celcius.


Calories are a measurement of energy. More precisely, one calorie equals 4.184 joules, which is also the approximate amount of energy needed to heat up one gram of water by one degree Kelvin/Celsius. It's also the approximate amount of energy needed to lift four small apples one meter into the air.

Still doesn't change the fact that spending more energy than you take in equals loss of energy and therefore mass. Our body will try to slow down the process by lowering our metabolism, but as long as we receive less energy than we spend, our body has to convert mass into energy to balance out the deficit. It's science, baby. Can't argue with it.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 48 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (48)