Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Why Hated?Follow

#1 May 25 2004 at 12:03 PM Rating: Decent
37 posts
What is everyones opinion on why it is that other countries seem to hate the U.S.A.

Edited, Tue May 25 13:03:27 2004 by Nemmesis
#2 May 25 2004 at 12:23 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
Nobody hates us. They love us. They eat our cheeseburgers, they buy our Gap clothes, they spend our dollars. We are the gold standard of wealth, smug self assurance, and power.

Who wouldn't love us?!?

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#3 May 25 2004 at 12:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,243 posts
Freedoms we have, The higher standard of living, a country of choice, and the fact we stick our nose everywhere in the world to "help".

Most countries dont like us because they are jealous. We have alot to be thankful for, and well, majority of Americans aren't and complain a lot.
____________________________

#4 May 25 2004 at 12:30 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
You again, Donut? I thought I told you to leave and never come back.

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#5 May 25 2004 at 12:36 PM Rating: Decent
11 posts
I can give an example of something I saw to explain why other countries, might hate us. I was coming back from the city, it was late so I was taking a cab. Some fellow drunkards start giving the cabby, in front of us some guff. Calling him an Iraqi, and asking him how it feels to have his country taken over. I can not remember exactly what he said- but I do remember wanting to kick him in the face. A very small spectrum example, but it is answer to the post's question none the less.
____________________________
"the day i went insane, was when i truly believed life wasn't a game."
#6 May 25 2004 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
Bah.

Those anecdotal incidents just endear us to them. "Those wacky and zany Americans! I love it when they say those things!"

You know that's what they're thinking when they hear that.

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#7 May 25 2004 at 12:48 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,310 posts
Ah yes, the old "they're only picking on you because they're jealous" platitude.
____________________________
"God created man from a handful of dust, and he created woman from that man's rib. And these two together were so stupid that they weren't on the planet five minutes when they managed to get a curse put on all future generations. Nice work." Pat Condell
#8 May 25 2004 at 12:53 PM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
Google Results for:
"I hate America" - 7,430 hits
"I hate France" - 1970
"I hate Canada" - 923
"I hate Japan" - 595
"I hate Germany" - 224
"I hate China" - 186
"I hate Iraq" - 176
"I hate Spain" - 62
"I hate Denmark" - 52
"I hate Peru" - 10
"I hate Trinidad" - 5
"I hate Vatican City" - 4
"I hate Estonia" - 1
"I hate Andorra" - 0

Wimpy Andorrans.

"I should get back to work" - 3070 hits
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#9 May 25 2004 at 1:04 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,243 posts
Quote:
You again, Donut? I thought I told you to leave and never come back.


Yes masta! Ill galdly leave for you!

#10 May 25 2004 at 1:24 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,054 posts
Quote:
"I hate France" - 1970

Damn, only 1970? You would've thought that France would've been number one. I mean, since Americans are the only ones who have the internet and stuff. Right?

Twiztid
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#11 May 25 2004 at 1:27 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
Yeah, Jophiel, but 1970 "I Hate Frances'" is in metric which is the English equivilent of 23,568,046 "I Hate Americas'" --so as you can see, it's universal that people still hate the French more.

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#12 May 25 2004 at 1:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,243 posts
hahaha

Maybe that something the rest of the world can agree on?
____________________________

#13 May 25 2004 at 1:37 PM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
"I hate Totem" - 3
"I hate Jophiel" - 0

BAM!

Hey! More people hate Totem than Andorra!

Edited, Tue May 25 14:38:51 2004 by Jophiel
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#14 May 25 2004 at 1:40 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,310 posts
"I hate Vatican City" - 4

Sorry, Joph. Three of those hits are actually from my sites.
____________________________
"God created man from a handful of dust, and he created woman from that man's rib. And these two together were so stupid that they weren't on the planet five minutes when they managed to get a curse put on all future generations. Nice work." Pat Condell
#15 May 25 2004 at 1:41 PM Rating: Good
Liberal Conspiracy
*******
TILT
The other one is from Mren, no doubt Smiley: lol
____________________________
Belkira wrote:
Wow. Regular ol' Joph fan club in here.
#16 May 25 2004 at 1:42 PM Rating: Good
Official Shrubbery Waterer
*****
14,054 posts
That was low, Joph. Underhanded to the extreme!

Twiztid
____________________________
Almalieque wrote:
I'm biased against statistics

#17 May 25 2004 at 3:10 PM Rating: Decent
*
216 posts
well the main reason a lot of countries hate us is because the US tries to be the police of the world. also now that bush is in office and completely **** up, even MORE of the world hates us. i can honestly say america is definetely the worldwide aggresor because we put our military bases in other countries (and our govt probably threatens other countries with invasion or something if they dont let us put bases there), so besides the fact that our government is completely messed up and that america is sort of a worldwide bully and now invading the middle eastern countries for oil. i dont really see any other reason for them to hate us *rollseyes*.
#18 May 25 2004 at 6:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,246 posts
There is a perception of America as being hypocritical. From the US politicians we hear talk about democracy and peace, but the reality seems to be that America is among the most violent and aggressive countries on the planet.

It's just too hard to take what we hear from GWB at face value; so easy to believe that America's actions in the Middle East are driven by the need to have as much control as possible over major oil supplies.

How do we accept the fact that Israel and Egypt are the 2 biggest recipients of US Aid dollars? So easy to believe that the US is simply buying a foothold in the Middle East so the Islamic countries don't get total control over the region.

Then there's the gun thing, the right to bear arms, the fact that more Americans die from gunshot per capita (murder, accident, suicide) than any other country on the planet. A society which accepts this level of violence.

Plus there are many around the world who despise the globalisation of MacDonalds and similar corporations that detract from local culture.

And did you know, if the whole world consumed at the same rate as the US, it would take 3 planet Earths to sustain us?

Another perception is that many Americans are largely ignorant about world events and simply believe what their politicians tell them.

And finally, America is seen as being an extremely Christian country (teaching Creationism for example), and many regard this, in conjunction with the militaristic foreign policy, as being a very dangerous combination.

Not saying these things to offend anyone, and sorry if you are, just answering the question.
____________________________
66 Guardian
66 Provisioner
#19 May 25 2004 at 7:16 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
"And finally, America is seen as being an extremely Christian country (teaching Creationism for example), and many regard this, in conjunction with the militaristic foreign policy, as being a very dangerous combination." --Bluie

As opposed to the Middle East being seen as an extremely Islamic region (teaching Jihadism to bring about the Third Caliphate for example), and many regard this, in conjunction with the use of terror tactics as official policy, as being a very dangerous combination?

Ok, just checking to see who's the dangerous one...

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#20 May 25 2004 at 8:44 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,246 posts
Agree Totem. And put them both together, look what you get.

How many atrocities in history have been committed in the name of religious belief?

Humans are violent creatures but add religious belief into the mix, and the fire burns all the more fiercely.
____________________________
66 Guardian
66 Provisioner
#21 May 25 2004 at 9:16 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
Here's the rub, Bluie: How many countries (barring Middle Eastern ones fomenting terrorism) are in danger of being invaded by the United States in the foreseeable future as opposed to how many countries are in danger of being bombed for no discernable reason (outside of purely arbitrary political-religious excuses such as mandatory burkhas for women) by people who worship Allah?

A reasonable person will answer that the United States could possibly invade one country (North Korea), but Islamacists will likely bomb any country they possibly can while doing maximum damage.

Do you see the difference? While threads like this are an easy way to stir up controversy and discussion, a more insidious mindset lies underneath-- that the United States in all her gaudy, sometimes crass, and envy inspiring glory is a worse danger than the one which faces every country, Islamic and non-Islamic alike: radical Muslims. Along side that assumption is the wishful thinking that if we were to just leave them alone that these same radical Muslims would be content to keep to themselves and not bother anyone.

It is this sophomoric logic which places us where we are today: A dissatisfied public and disapproving world opinion. Regardless our alliance with Israel, or if we could somehow never use another drop of oil ever again, never steam our warships in the Persian Gulf, it would not be sufficient to placate Muslim extremists. So, a more realistic world view is in order. We support Israel, we take a proactive stance in world politics, we attack countries which are aggressive or are home and safehaven to terrorists.

Does this mean we make these choices willy-nilly? No, we push Israel to live peacefully with Palestine, we build up relationships with countries actively fighting terrorism, and we make concessions with and give aid to countries willing to forsake radical Islam.

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#22 May 25 2004 at 9:37 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,327 posts
omg people here are so smart...
____________________________
I did it for Maddox.
Sweet life kid.

Maynarrd PPO=Pattened

PC:
Dudecool Sexmachin http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=1099122 (no longer played)

WoW:Shattered Hand
57 Gnome Warlock(2/8)
48 Human Warrior... iunno...
#23 May 25 2004 at 9:43 PM Rating: Default
*
216 posts
Quote:
As opposed to the Middle East being seen as an extremely Islamic region (teaching Jihadism to bring about the Third Caliphate for example), and many regard this, in conjunction with the use of terror tactics as official policy, as being a very dangerous combination?

Ok, just checking to see who's the dangerous one...

Totem


jihad = holy war
islam = religion teaching peace and love for one another.

two VERY different things

also we are on THEIR turf so as long as we are where we dont belong, im cheering for the "iraqi insurgents" and i guess there needs to be more american death in iraq unfortunately. yes america IS the aggresor in the middle east because america wants to force christianity on the islamic world and wants to suck all the oil it can out of iraq. YES i have sympathy for the iraqis fighting american forces, because they are doing the right thing by fighting back against american forces, defending their homeland and taking out the oil-driven american force in iraq. I think we need to be showed just how welcome we really are in a country we dont belong in. Those iraqis are just defending their culture and country from the invading christian american forces and rightfully so. It makes me feel pretty good when i hear about an american humvee being overturned, american helicopter crashing or american soldiers dying because that just means america is one more step closer to learning its lesson, and that lesson being that american govt should NOT be staying as long as they have and they need to stop looking at themselves as the police of the world.
#24 May 25 2004 at 9:56 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,246 posts
I guess the US is also fighting against a perception that it is very good at *War* and very bad at *Peace*. The prison abuse in Iraq sure doesn't help that that image.

Saddam had to go and we shuddered to see the pictures of his torture chambers, but now the US has tainted itself with the same brush, thereby adding fuel to the fires of hatred.

Not good PR and will be very hard to live down.

And I have to say, do I really believe the US pushes Israel to live peacefully with Palestine? No way!! Israel is roundly condemned by many countries for whatever its latest actions are, for example the assassinations, and the US says the bare minimum it can get away with. The US totally supports Israel in all its actions behind the scenes and only makes public politically correct statements when it has no other option.

Anyway I guess GWB will lose the next election, will be interesting to see if anything changes after that.

Aussie government is also up for election at the end of this year, and also looks like a change of govt, with the Opposition promising to pull out our troops if they are elected. Bunch of idiots!!
____________________________
66 Guardian
66 Provisioner
#25 May 25 2004 at 11:23 PM Rating: Decent
*
216 posts
Quote:
Anyway I guess GWB will lose the next election, will be interesting to see if anything changes after that.


unless he can STEAL another election just like he did in 2000, well if it comes down to florida i guess dubya will have to make that call to jeb and have his brother tweek the votes in florida again.
#26 May 25 2004 at 11:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
787 posts
Quote:
omg people here are so smart...


lol...
____________________________
"Foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"-Emerson

Mihr (retired)
Cheese
I'm unoriginal!
#27 May 26 2004 at 1:47 AM Rating: Decent
**
995 posts
Quote:
Nobody hates us. They love us. They eat our cheeseburgers, they buy our Gap clothes, they spend our dollars. We are the gold standard of wealth, smug self assurance, and power.


LOL, then everybody loves our country too.... we are the king of pot... ^-^
____________________________
Silverpolo 50 BST / 25 WHM @ Asura

*** 46 RNG / NIN *** 42 THF / NIN ***

- 90.8 - Cooking (on mule: Shoarma)
- 73.0 - Blacksmithing
- 60.0 - Alchemy
- 48.9 - Goldsmithing
- 39.9 - Woodworking
- 12.4 - Leathercraft

WoW Stormrage EU: Alliance 70 Hunter
#28 May 26 2004 at 1:53 AM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
tsibe and Bluie, you didn't listen to a thing I said, did you?

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
#29 May 26 2004 at 4:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
195 posts
i always thought if you want to see american foriegn policy actually working and being liked you had to watch re-runs of the original star trek.
#30 May 26 2004 at 10:00 AM Rating: Decent
*
216 posts
Quote:
tsibe and Bluie, you didn't listen to a thing I said, did you?

Totem


well given the fact that youre a board troll and a board spammer, i dont really take anything you say with more than a grain of salt.
#31 May 26 2004 at 3:28 PM Rating: Good
Sacrificial Lamb
*****
16,110 posts
That just means you haven't learned to discriminate between what are serious posts and what is noise. Plainly speaking, that previous post was a serious one and stands on its' own merits-- particularly since there are no real alternative solutions out there with an immediate impact.

However, I am all ears if you have a workable solution to a worldwide crisis, but just remember, our support for Israel has had bi-party support from every administration since that country's inception. Bush, to his credit, has made greater strides towards actual concrete steps for a duality in that region for a Palestinian state and a cooperative Israel rather than just platitudes and general talk about peace than any previous president. And if you can invent a realistic answer to the world's energy needs, I'll listen to that too-- just don't throw "we need to cut down consumption and live on sunshine" type nonsense at me. Because that's just bullsh1t designed to be a non-answer.

So please, give me what you think is a viable solution to today's problems. I'm waiting...

Totem
____________________________
Born-on date: 2076

Zombo.com

Obama

Winner of Last(tm) VIII!

Winner of the 2008 Allakhazam March Madness tourny

"Totem is the personification of whiskey soaked evil" --Annabelle

"You're special, pumpkin, but not speshuler than the 'Bama Black Snake" --AtomicFlea
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 77 All times are in CDT
Elinda, Fleven, someproteinguy, Szabo, Anonymous Guests (73)