Now that I've let this simmer a bit, I'll give my reasons why this Mythic fails...
(Dagger) All Races
Increases Song Duration
"Morant Rime" Aftermath:
MACC / ACC / DblAtk
1) The damage rating on this weapon is very poor. While I know SE said they didn't want this item to compete with relic, lets look a bit closer...
(Dagger) All Races
Hidden: Tripple's Damage
Hidden: "Mercy Stroke" +Crit Hit%
As we can see, BRD Mythic is nowhere close to Relic. Lets now take a look at one of the better weapons - Blau Dolch:
(Dagger) All Races
Latent Effect: DMG:33
Lv. 72 WAR / BLM / RDM / THF / PLD / DRK /
BST / BRD / RNG / SAM / NIN / DRG / SMN / SCH
Latent: TP<100 & WS - ACC+5 ATK+10
Myhtic cant even touch this. Barring all other effects asside, what incentive do we have in using this weapon? BRD is not a melee, but I know full well what happens when you combine a low damage, high delay weapon with low skill, low accuracy and low attack - a bunch of wiffs and 0 dmg hits for 0 TP gain...
Come on SE - Would it really be that game breaking to make BRD Mythic have a DMG rating of 33-39 or lower delay? Give us a reason to attack with it.
2) The MACC bonus on this item sucks. Recent testing has shown that, at worse case, HQ staves give a MACC bonus of +15. A majority of the time, this bonus will be MACC+30. Keep in mind, this bonus is granted permanently provided the proper staff/spell combination is used. Additionally, there are several items in the game that BRD can obtain that can give a MACC bonus of +10 or more: Alkuralops, Chanter's Staff (conditional), HQ Staves, NQ Staves (conditional), Antares, etc. There are more, but those are easily the more popular ones I can come up with off the top of my head. Again...Barring any other effects on the item, there are a multitude of items that are better than Mythic.
Come on SE - Would it really be that game breaking to make BRD Mythic have a natural MACC rating of +20-30?. Give us a reason to debuff with it.
3) TP Bonuses other than MACC is a joke. Let me ask you something - If I was a Melee, and I had the option of giving myself ACC, ATK or Double ATK at will wouldn't that be a dream come true? Mythic is this dream come true. As a Mage, it would be just as great to see a weapon that can give me M.ACC, M.ATK(or Potency), or Refresh at will. But no...our Mythic has the same bonuses that Melee get (minus one or two) - Which says only one thing: Melee Mythic will always be better than Mage Mythic weapons.
Come on SE - Would it really be that game breaking to make a flexable Mage weapon with TP Bonuses similar to Mythic/Relic but Designed for Magic Users?
4) Finally - The Increased Song Duration bonus. Pure Insult. The fact that SE thinks +24 seconds added to song duration compensates for having to melee (to gain TP bonuses) or the cost to obtain (which is insane as-is) makes me furious. If songs were restricted in the number of times they can be casted (think dice rolls for cor), they might have a case - but we are talking about increasing the duration of spells can can be applied an infinite number of times. I could spam songs all day long and never have to worry about them wearing off. A good BRD doesn't wait till songs wear, they refresh them before it happens. So, what good is the extra +24 seconds?
Come on SE - Would it really be that game breaking to make the Increases Song Duration double?
Infact, had SE actually Doubled the Song Duration, I would have been happy to have all the existing stats on the weapon left as is - as it would allow an interesting transformation of BRD to become a light DD for events. The way it stands now, the dagger fails in every aspect and can easily be replaced (or worked around).
SE said Mythic weapons are supposed to enhance job performance. Looking at BRD Mythic and what needs to be done to benefit from its effects, I can only see one thing: BRD Mythic actually degrades job performance by focing us to melee to obtain less than ordanary results obtinable from other sources.
Finally, let me say that there's always a chance SE added another hidden effect we haven't discovered. If so, I will re-evaluate this weapon. I'm also aware of I.Wing tactics and the like, but compare it with any other decent item in the game of similar value and you'll quickly realize its futile and actually worse using Mythic. An ultimate weapon should be a little more 'ultimate' and less 'lets figure out a way to make it less sh*tty'.
Edit: Also to mention: As it stands right now, we are not limited by equipping any item 'full time'. Meaning, we can swap staves and the like. By using this weapon in the way that SE intended, we are restricted even further by our inability of unequipping this weapon. This should be known, but unequipping Mythic reduces our TP to 0 and removes any TP related bonsuses. By locking this slot, we are also losing the ability for other, more creative uses such as: +HP builds for Minstrel Ring Latent, an HMP staff to recover MP, using Chanters Staff to reach the next buff tier, Using Tallifer's Dagger to increase String range, and - of course - using Elemental staves to cast accurate debuffs.
Edited, Feb 5th 2009 8:11am by Asmoranomar
Asmoranomar - Diabolos BRD/RDM
- Song Cast Time Setup BRD/WHM
- Wind Buff Setup BRD/WHM
- Wind Debuff Setup BRD/WHM
- String Buff Setup BRD/WHM
- String Debuff Setup