Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Job Adjustments and Additions: Part I (10/14/2009) Follow

#52 Oct 16 2009 at 12:06 AM Rating: Default
Thief's Knife
*****
15,049 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
SE wrote:
Rangers with this ability (Camouflage) in effect will incur less enmity for ranged attacks. There will be a chance that the ability remains in effect even after a ranged attack, depending on your position relative to your target.
Its like Trick Attack with arrows. And no second person.


It doesn't force a critical or transfer enmity so no it's not.

They should have made it similar to Hide and Super Jump. If the mob is looking at you it removes your enmity.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#53 Oct 16 2009 at 1:54 AM Rating: Excellent
****
7,094 posts
Lobivopis wrote:
Assuming that the enmity reduction is enough to elevate RNG out of it's current outcast status that will also put Yoichinoyumi and Annihilator in the same category as Ragnarok. The only reason to use the ranged relic WS is reduced enmity. Without that they are only slightly better than the v-bow and Hellfire +1

This is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

Let me ask you a question: when the updates for Shield Mastery and Reprisal came out, were you saying, "These updates make Aegis worthless!"? Or were you saying that an update which makes an average piece of gear good will make a good piece of gear great?

If the enmity adjustments are strong enough to let HF+1/O-bow/E-bow users act like relic wielders, it will let relic wielders act like completely unhinged maniacs.

____________________________
Terraxia - RNG/COR/THF - Midgardsormr/Quetzalcoatl (boxed)
Viper Beam - ARC/CRP - Fabul
#54 Oct 16 2009 at 2:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
***
3,544 posts
Lobivopis wrote:

Quote:

Ranged Attack Adjustments
- Ranged attack enmity
Less enmity will be incurred the further away you are from the target of your ranged attacks.


Because you will miss and thus gain less enmity.



I laughed.
____________________________


#55 Oct 16 2009 at 4:28 AM Rating: Default
Thief's Knife
*****
15,049 posts
redvenomweb wrote:
Lobivopis wrote:
Assuming that the enmity reduction is enough to elevate RNG out of it's current outcast status that will also put Yoichinoyumi and Annihilator in the same category as Ragnarok. The only reason to use the ranged relic WS is reduced enmity. Without that they are only slightly better than the v-bow and Hellfire +1

This is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard.

Let me ask you a question: when the updates for Shield Mastery and Reprisal came out, were you saying, "These updates make Aegis worthless!"? Or were you saying that an update which makes an average piece of gear good will make a good piece of gear great?

If the enmity adjustments are strong enough to let HF+1/O-bow/E-bow users act like relic wielders, it will let relic wielders act like completely unhinged maniacs.



Not really because Namas Arrow actually sucks compared to Sidewinder.

If a v-bow user can spam Sidewinder at 100% TP and not pull hate then he's going to be doing only slightly less damage than a Yoichi user due to Sidewinder's higher damage and the v-bow's lower delay. That would place it in the same category as Ragnarok.



Edited, Oct 16th 2009 7:40am by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#56 Oct 16 2009 at 7:58 AM Rating: Default
***
1,748 posts
Quote:
we are not premium at meripo.


that is because people are stupid in this game.
it is also because bards only haste people and dont give ranger double attack

so ranger does not do well because support jobs are lazy, and people in ffxi can't think for themselves.

When I merit on ranger I easily keep up with everyone, and thats without the buffs that I need, and I am still holding back alot.

If I had a way of gathering less hate, I doubt many if any job can hold up to a ranger/war with double attack on birds. Just with /nin sub and one bard sony I averaged in a parser 1800 dmg sides at mamool camp, hitting 2500 on puks and 1600 on mamools. with war sub that averaged would have jumped to about 2200 dmg.

that is part of the hope I have for this patch that we can go /war sub, and not have to hold back sides just for kill shot, which is usually at 50% hp.

____________________________
BANNED
#57 Oct 16 2009 at 9:19 AM Rating: Decent
****
7,094 posts
Lobivopis wrote:
Not really because Namas Arrow actually sucks compared to Sidewinder.

If a v-bow user can spam Sidewinder at 100% TP and not pull hate then he's going to be doing only slightly less damage than a Yoichi user due to Sidewinder's higher damage and the v-bow's lower delay. That would place it in the same category as Ragnarok.

First of all, against anything that matters, pulling hate is a question of when, not if. So your observation has a fundamental flaw: relic users can still go longer without getting hate, regardless of the new enmity changes.

I also notice that you did not mention Coronach; presumably because the aftermath would seem to rather obviously make a difference.
____________________________
Terraxia - RNG/COR/THF - Midgardsormr/Quetzalcoatl (boxed)
Viper Beam - ARC/CRP - Fabul
#58 Oct 16 2009 at 11:50 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
Quote:
The whole purpose of Campaign is to gain xp. Therefore a job that doesn't gain xp as well as others is not good at campaign. That was my original complaint. We are a job that does good damage against kited mobs and can hold out own in a zerg. We are not a top tier meripo, campaign or solo job.


as solo, yes, my LS however does campaign for the purpose of taking over and /or keeping areas under national control. Get in slaughter, go to the next area.

Quote:
If the enmity adjustments are strong enough to let HF+1/O-bow/E-bow users act like relic wielders, it will let relic wielders act like completely unhinged maniacs.


Thank you.


Yes Namas may suck, however the enmity reduction should allow a Yoichi user the ability to use sidewinder with a more powerful bow than E/V and still garner less hate, which is always a beautiful thing.

Edited, Oct 16th 2009 1:57pm by Aryden
____________________________
Sir CorLeonisX: "Nah, SE will just declare it an exploit to fight him with jobs over 75 since it's not the "proper" way to kill it, and just ban us all instead."

Deadonarrival: "Dart as usual, your post is made of FAIL."
#59 Oct 16 2009 at 12:32 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,916 posts
Quote:
that is part of the hope I have for this patch that we can go /war sub, and not have to hold back sides just for kill shot, which is usually at 50% hp.


I doubt very much SE is going to reduce enm so much that a RNG/WAR can go full out and not get hate.

My modest hope for the patch is so I can go /NIN or /SAM and not have to hold back and not get the mob moved. Hell I go COR/DNC to a lot of meripos and still get far too much hate for my liking. If this change works for COR's I'm very happy.

But I'm all for SE giving RNG a super-buff enm reduction. I just don't see that happening. I suspect we'll still be "kilshot" meripo jobs unless we want to piss everyone else off.
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#60 Oct 16 2009 at 4:54 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
845 posts
I like the part about the further away the less hate.
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?166652
War
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?13913
Nin

Guranimol 75 War Nin Rng Blu
Cerberus GAL Rnk10 BAS
#61 Oct 16 2009 at 5:36 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,809 posts
Quote:

we are not premium at meripo.

that is because people are stupid in this game.
it is also because bards only haste people and dont give ranger double attack


i disagree with that statement. rngs outside of subjob and a 5 min timer have no quick way to gain tp. Haste dont effect rng attacks and snapstop is laughable since theres no auto rng attack.

rngs just cant keep up with haste, triple attack or double attack job traits, kick attacks, and jumps that all the other melees have access to.

and also i use my bard for merits, between buffing and pulling theres really no time to sing 5 songs between pulls. songs take forever to sing when 2 ws can pretty much kill a bird.
#62 Oct 16 2009 at 6:46 PM Rating: Default
Thief's Knife
*****
15,049 posts
Aryden wrote:


Yes Namas may suck, however the enmity reduction should allow a Yoichi user the ability to use sidewinder with a more powerful bow than E/V and still garner less hate, which is always a beautiful thing.


It would be considered a lolrelic for the same reason Ragnarok is. If you aren't using the relic WS it's really only marginally better than a v-bow.

It is absolutely not worth dumping 180 million gil into a weapon that only does marginally more damage than the next best option. Apocalypse, Mandau, Aegis, and Yoichi are all considered worth it because they are much, much better than anything else in their class. Weapons like Ragnarok and Kikoku are considered "lolrelics" because their only value is their marginally better DPS.

Edited, Oct 16th 2009 9:50pm by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#63 Oct 16 2009 at 10:27 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,748 posts
Quote:
RACC+100 is not particularly difficult


ya but +100 racc is about equivalent to +3 acc
____________________________
BANNED
#64 Oct 17 2009 at 9:46 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,916 posts
Quote:
It is absolutely not worth dumping 180 million gil into a weapon that only does marginally more damage than the next best option. Apocalypse, Mandau, Aegis, and Yoichi are all considered worth it because they are much, much better than anything else in their class. Weapons like Ragnarok and Kikoku are considered "lolrelics" because their only value is their marginally better DPS.


The only reason to get a relic is for status. There is nothing in this game that can't beat with proper strategy and top rare/ex gear. Maybe when relics first came out they were "OMG broken". But with todays gear, todays merit abilities and todays jobs, any decent player group can take out most everything but PW and AV and relics aren't the answer against those mobs.

Quote:
ya but +100 racc is about equivalent to +3 acc


I know you are exaggerating some but it is so true. I put up +64 RACC in gear (+48 from Acc trait IV) on lesser gods in Sky and still miss half my slugs with sushi. A melee puts up a couple +5 Acc rings, a chiv chain (+5), Swift belt (+3), +10 ACC body for +28 ACC and they barely whiff.

I wish SE would have just redone the RACC calculations on Slugshot. Yes its powerful but it wouldn't break the job just to tone down the Acc penalty a bit.
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#65 Oct 17 2009 at 10:25 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,126 posts
Quote:
we are not premium at meripo.


I disagree.
____________________________
[99] Smithing [60] Clothcraft [60] Woodworking [60] Leathercraft
[60] Alchemy [60] Cooking [60] Bonecraft [61] Goldsmithing [50] Synergy

#66 Oct 17 2009 at 12:58 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,916 posts
Quote:
I disagree.


Based on? How many RNG's have you seen in meripos? How many times have you merited on RNG?

How can a job that rarely ends up in a meripo be a premium meripo job? If it was a premium job for meripo it should be as frequently seen as SAM, WAR, DRG and DRK.

The fact is, while it can do comparable to superior damage to those "big 4", it has certain disadvantages that lead it to be second class.

Cost is one of the bigger reasons. Why pay for damage when you can get it for free with one of the other 4 jobs.
Poor defense is another. Even if you are meticulous about shadows or 3rd eye, you are going to get hit and you will get hurt more than a WAR/SAM/DRG leading to more MP useage.
Then there is the mob movement issue which can only be ameliorated by either standing in melee range and nerfing damage, or managing your hate and again nerfing your damage.
And finally, many buffs that BRDs and COR's like to use don't help RNG damage. Marches, Madrigals, Fighters Roll are all pointless for the RNG.

Sure none of those things will kill a meripo but they are enough to lead party leaders to think twice about getting a RNG when another of the big 4 is available and cost is enough of an issue to keep RNG's in the closet in favor of a cheaper 75 meripo job.
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#67 Oct 17 2009 at 4:16 PM Rating: Good
*
151 posts
Lobivopis wrote:
Aryden wrote:


Yes Namas may suck, however the enmity reduction should allow a Yoichi user the ability to use sidewinder with a more powerful bow than E/V and still garner less hate, which is always a beautiful thing.


It would be considered a lolrelic for the same reason Ragnarok is. If you aren't using the relic WS it's really only marginally better than a v-bow.

It is absolutely not worth dumping 180 million gil into a weapon that only does marginally more damage than the next best option. Apocalypse, Mandau, Aegis, and Yoichi are all considered worth it because they are much, much better than anything else in their class. Weapons like Ragnarok and Kikoku are considered "lolrelics" because their only value is their marginally better DPS.

Edited, Oct 16th 2009 9:50pm by Lobivopis


I'm wondering if you actually understand how these relics work.



Edited, Apr 16th 2010 12:13am by Taurusrexx
#68 Oct 17 2009 at 5:51 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,126 posts
valid points but my ranger still disagrees.
____________________________
[99] Smithing [60] Clothcraft [60] Woodworking [60] Leathercraft
[60] Alchemy [60] Cooking [60] Bonecraft [61] Goldsmithing [50] Synergy

#69 Oct 17 2009 at 5:56 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,916 posts
Quote:
I'm guessing you've never seen these two relics being used. They don't do 'marginally' more damage than other rng weapons. There is nothing really close and we'll have to see if these changes finally make these relic users able to do all they can do.


How much more damage do they do? 50% more? 100% more?

I imagine its closer to 20% more which could be considered marginal by some and broken by others. Given some people's willingness to pay millions in gil for gear that adds 20 damage to slugshot, the concept of value and worth is questionable.

Nonetheless i agree that these RNG updates will not make RNG relic Worthless. But my opinion is that all relic is really status anyways since most endgame activities can be beat with non-relic gear with the right strategies.
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#70 Oct 17 2009 at 9:09 PM Rating: Default
***
1,748 posts
i always like when i hear haste doesnt affect ranged attacks. So ranger cant keep up in tp.

note, rng should be in melee range on birds and step back for sides, at 75 rngs shoudlnt be losing any dmg on being in melee range, and guess what, haste affects melee swings.

second, when rangers ws does 2 to 3 times as much dmg as other melees so as long as rng can get tp half as fast as melee then there isnt an issue there either.

I have always parsed pretty much at the top of any merit party i have been in, even close to a relic sam.

I will say it again, people are stupid in this game, they listen to what people say, and do not have the ability to think for themselves, this game is a large version of teh telephone game
____________________________
BANNED
#71 Oct 17 2009 at 10:50 PM Rating: Decent
Thief's Knife
*****
15,049 posts
xbobbobx wrote:
i always like when i hear haste doesnt affect ranged attacks. So ranger cant keep up in tp.

note, rng should be in melee range on birds and step back for sides, at 75 rngs shoudlnt be losing any dmg on being in melee range, and guess what, haste affects melee swings.

second, when rangers ws does 2 to 3 times as much dmg as other melees so as long as rng can get tp half as fast as melee then there isnt an issue there either.

I have always parsed pretty much at the top of any merit party i have been in, even close to a relic sam.

I will say it again, people are stupid in this game, they listen to what people say, and do not have the ability to think for themselves, this game is a large version of teh telephone game



A melee RNG does not match the walking colibri apocalypse that is a well equipped DRG/SAM with Drakesbane. Though that has more to do with Drakesbane being ridiculously broken on birds than anything else.

Edited, Oct 18th 2009 2:01am by Lobivopis
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#72 Oct 18 2009 at 10:08 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
3,916 posts
Quote:
note, rng should be in melee range on birds and step back for sides, at 75 rngs shoudlnt be losing any dmg on being in melee range, and guess what, haste affects melee swings.

second, when rangers ws does 2 to 3 times as much dmg as other melees so as long as rng can get tp half as fast as melee then there isnt an issue there either.

I have always parsed pretty much at the top of any merit party i have been in, even close to a relic sam.


I think a well equipped RNG can keep up with a well equipped Big 4 Frontliner. What I don't think a RNG can do is mitigate damage as well or cost less. If you are spending 50k on ammo in a meripo, you better be the top parser. But given most players are more fiscally responsible than most Alla RNG's, they usually merit on a different (aka cheaper) job.

And of course we are talking birds mostly which isn't the only place meripos happen. When we lose our piercing bonus the loss of haste effect hurts even more. I've never even seen a RNG attempt a meripo on Mamools.

____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#73 Oct 19 2009 at 7:04 AM Rating: Default
***
1,748 posts
Quote:
I've never even seen a RNG attempt a meripo on Mamools.


I mentioned, that I merited on mamools and had average ws of 1800, and kept up to a relic sam , and I said kept up to before people start crying.

it is all about gettign the right songs from teh bards, if you dont have a lazy bard, ranger can do very well.

and cost isnt an issue, buy a stack of demon horns for 40k, make them into 72 arrowheads for 5k more. Those arrowheads make 24 stacks of arrows for another 15k, for a total of about 60k. Half the price of what ah cost is for arrows.

____________________________
BANNED
#74 Oct 19 2009 at 8:08 AM Rating: Good
***
1,786 posts
I still think they need to reduce delays on Ranged attacks, or just lift all the nerfs on RNG in the first place, and PRESTO! Job fixed without 90 damn updates to it.
____________________________
Winthorp Donaldson: Monk (Ultros Server) (FFXIV)

Arbelas: Sith Marauder (SWTOR)

Doctor NewJersey: Lvl 30 Mental Controller (DCUO PvE)

(ret) Wlnthorp (Fenrir): FFXI
Part RDM, part RNG, part BST, part THF, part PLD... 100% jackass.

(ret)Eccoh: Level 85 Night Elf Druid (Ravencrest)
(ret)DaveTheGnome: Level 85 Gnome Mage (Ravencrest)
#75 Oct 19 2009 at 9:48 AM Rating: Default
****
4,126 posts
I have lost 1 exp parse since buying my Kclub (~3 years). That was a too a relic holding SAM.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with RNG in exp and I will prove that to anyone.
____________________________
[99] Smithing [60] Clothcraft [60] Woodworking [60] Leathercraft
[60] Alchemy [60] Cooking [60] Bonecraft [61] Goldsmithing [50] Synergy

#76 Oct 19 2009 at 1:10 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,757 posts
xbobbobx wrote:

that is because people are stupid in this game.
it is also because bards only haste people and dont give ranger double attack

so ranger does not do well because support jobs are lazy, and people in ffxi can't think for themselves.


I'm going to hate myself for it, but you're going to make me defend BRD here. The only time you should EVER expect a buff from a BRD in a meripo is during 2 BRD parties or it's a RNG Ammo burn party obviously. I make damn sure to hit the RNG on my COR with my AoE ring if need be, but typically most people want COR roll and only 1 DD roll. The reason why it's impossible for a single BRD to buff a lone RNG is the same reason some BRD's have trouble singing Ballad for mages. The DD's kill too damn fast and you must always be on the move pulling. IF anything, it's the fault of the game mechanics, not lazy support. BRD and COR buffs(need to double roll for best buff) are NOT instant and do take time, time you usually don't have. Essentially you have to cut a few corners to keep the chain going. The healer's MP is more important than your E-peen on RNG.

Go level a support job and maybe you'll learn something. It's a bitch to pull, keep up buffs 100%, handle links if they arise, and anything else I missed. How about you go pull jackass and that way, your BRD will have time to sing buffs just for you. Oh wait, that means your damage will suffer... OH noess...
____________________________

If it doesn't happen, we're left with just one option. While we can talk about PlayStation 4 as a mid-range PC in a miniature box, to comprehensively best the console's most powerful elements, once again it seems likely that PC owners will need more money to brute-force their way through to improved performance.

Source
#77xbobbobx, Posted: Oct 19 2009 at 2:59 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) you must suck because when I am in a party with some friends that are bards they have no problem getting attack songs on me, haste on melee, ballad on mages and still pull with no issues.
#78 Oct 19 2009 at 3:30 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,757 posts
xbobbobx wrote:


you must suck because when I am in a party with some friends that are bards they have no problem getting attack songs on me, haste on melee, ballad on mages and still pull with no issues.

so sorry I shouldnt call them lazy bards, just sh*tty bards. 90% of bards play it for the fast invites and easy merits to begin with and most of them really suck at their job.


I'm not a BRD, I have COR leveled so learn to read ok.

I don't agree with you at all that your BRD's have time to buff you unless you're getting the same buffs as the other melee in range. It's not feasible at all unless your melee suck so bad, you take 40sec+ to kill a bird. If you have 2 BRD's, there shouldn't be a problem. But something tells me you're not talking about that are you? BRD songs take 8secs to cast without Fast cast gear. You can't honestly expect me to believe that a pulling BRD is spending at least 32 secs casting per buff cycle. Double march 16sec, Ballad 8sec, and 1 RNG song 8sec.

Meanwhile, I'm on my COR with instant rolls(excluding double up) and the mobs are dying so fast, the BRD's barely have enough time to pull. I often find myself still doubling up well onto the next mob because of the fast kills. So please don't expect me or anyone else that plays a support class to believe you. We know how fast a mob dies and I'll admit, I hate pulling on COR for that very reason. To make the claim that your BRD friends can buff everyone and still do their job is a bold faced lie.
____________________________

If it doesn't happen, we're left with just one option. While we can talk about PlayStation 4 as a mid-range PC in a miniature box, to comprehensively best the console's most powerful elements, once again it seems likely that PC owners will need more money to brute-force their way through to improved performance.

Source
#79 Oct 19 2009 at 6:21 PM Rating: Good
***
1,786 posts
Just to toss in my two cents here between Bob and Shadowedge, but Shadow does make some good points here. I've leveled a support job (RDM), and I also have a 75 RNG, and I must say that the mechanics of this game do in fact effect just how much support jobs can do. I agree, if you play a support job, you really do learn to have respect for their posistion. There isn't a DD job in this game that's more difficult to play than a support job.

As a RDM, I've had some really fun situations. Refresh, Haste, Heal, and sleep pull to boot (all in one party!). As a RNG, I kind of stand in one spot, and shoot. Maybe I'll go the extra mile and pull too. BRD gets to pull, yap at people who don't stand in the right spot (COR too), buff five people, etc.

What's my point? My point is that before any exclusively dd player calls someone a crappy support, they really should try walking a mile in that support's shoes. See just how much more difficult their job is, and just how well you do at. Then decide if you want to call them crappy.
____________________________
Winthorp Donaldson: Monk (Ultros Server) (FFXIV)

Arbelas: Sith Marauder (SWTOR)

Doctor NewJersey: Lvl 30 Mental Controller (DCUO PvE)

(ret) Wlnthorp (Fenrir): FFXI
Part RDM, part RNG, part BST, part THF, part PLD... 100% jackass.

(ret)Eccoh: Level 85 Night Elf Druid (Ravencrest)
(ret)DaveTheGnome: Level 85 Gnome Mage (Ravencrest)
#80 Oct 19 2009 at 10:50 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
834 posts
Quote:
If a v-bow user can spam Sidewinder at 100% TP and not pull hate then he's going to be doing only slightly less damage than a Yoichi user due to Sidewinder's higher damage and the v-bow's lower delay. That would place it in the same category as Ragnarok.


I have a Yoichinoyumi and I have been using it for a while, so let me set you straight on the above.

First... you cannot 'spam Sidewinder' at 100% TP using an Ebow or Vbow with the same accuracy as Namas Arrow on HNM. It is just not possible. One missed WS and your overall damage takes a big hit.

Second... you cannot 'spam Sidewinder' and not pull hate. You can get away with the first two or even three Sidewinders, but by the fourth Sidewinder you'll be spending more time recasting shadows, or lying dead on the ground. Don't blame this on bad tanks... our LS has some of the best PLDs with the best gear obtainable, and even so, any decent RNG trying to 'spam Sidewinder' will end up as Khimaira's chew toy, or worse.

The beauty of Namas Arrow (and Coronach) is that they *can* be spammed as fast as you can rack up 100% tp. I often go RNG/SAM to the HNMs that RNGs are good on (like Khimaira, Ixion, etc.) and even though Namas Arrow is roughly 75% damage of a Sidewinder, it is extremely accurate, has a slightly longer WS range, gives a ranged accuracy boost that can help for Barrage, and it generates about as much hate as a Dispel or 120dmg worth no matter how much dmg I do with it. I have done well over 1200 - 1500 Namas Arrow (with COR, BRD and other buffs) and the HNM doesn't even bat an eyelash at me.

I don't put up the big numbers like Sidewinder does - even though I can use Sidewinder if I really wanted - but even a normal unbuffed Namas Arrow is about 4 - 6 times more powerful than a normal shot, and probably generates less hate. By that, I mean if you're holding back because you want to get more TP for a more accurate Sidewinder and/or you're trying to space out your hate spikes from firing them off, then I'm already using Namas right at 100 - 105% TP and building up for the next one.

Also... I can get a 6 hit on Yoichi using Rajas and Skadi's Chausses, and a 5 hit with Rajas, Skadi's Chausses, Mekki Shakki and /SAM sub. Plus /SAM has meditate. Since I like to spam Namas Arrow, I generally like to go RNG/SAM, but I also like my RNG/WAR's berserk.

As for triple damage procs... those are nice for normal shots (I've done about 700 - 800 with a single arrow, with buffs), but they're a nightmare for Barrage. I mean... you can get some eye-opening Barrages, but that pretty much defeats the purpose of using a Yoichi or Annihilator because you're almost guaranteed to be dead after that -_-;

Quote:

If the enmity adjustments are strong enough to let HF+1/O-bow/E-bow users act like relic wielders, it will let relic wielders act like completely unhinged maniacs.


Even with my Namas Arrow spam and my strict avoidance of Sidewinder on anything worth fighting, I'm *still* very close to the top of the hate list - so close that I have pulled hate with a Namas Arrow. It is very rare that it actually happens, but it does sometimes.

Edited, Oct 19th 2009 11:56pm by Fiofio

Edited, Oct 19th 2009 11:59pm by Fiofio
____________________________
Fionaa~
Mithran RDM | BLM | BLU | WHM | RNG of Sylph
==iiZerg LS, Yoichinoyumi holder #3==
RDM: Maxing out Convert
WHM: Guide to Solace/Misery
#81 Oct 20 2009 at 8:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,298 posts
Holy crapola, people complain about these job improvements? As if merit parties is the only damn thing worth doing in game? FFXI really is 'dieing.'

Does no one fight HNMs here anymore? RNGs just moved ahead for physical damage now on ToAU NMs. Because I remember holding back quite a bit on something like a Sarameya where we stand more than 21 ticks away, this would allow a RNG to use more WSes or JAs like Barrage and not mess up hate.

Sorry Rangers, you can't be tops at both HNMs and merit parties. If you were, people would cry and it would be 04/05 all over again. Learn to love the updates.

And my 2 gil on relic: They'd still pull ahead in HNMs. A stealth shotted, max range 2300 Sidewinder will still pull hate, Namas/Coronach won't.
____________________________

#82 Oct 20 2009 at 9:49 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,916 posts
Quote:
I have lost 1 exp parse since buying my Kclub (~3 years). That was a too a relic holding SAM.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with RNG in exp and I will prove that to anyone.


Well K Club RNG I think should be excluded from this since they are not really using the RNG mechanic at this point. They are frontlining it with a 10 milion gil weapon. It shouldn't be expected for a RNG to require that to outparse a SAM without relic.

I'd take a K Club RNG any day over most jobs to a meripo. It's just that there are very few of them in existence.
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#83 Oct 21 2009 at 10:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
Quote:
They are frontlining it with a 10 milion gil weapon. It shouldn't be expected for a RNG to require that to outparse a SAM without relic.


10 MILLION!? sh*t i'm moving to your server and buying a few of those. They're 45mil on my server.

anyway

Quote:
rngs just cant keep up with haste, triple attack or double attack job traits, kick attacks, and jumps that all the other melees have access to.


To a certain extent, you're correct, but you're blinding yourself to the fact that, while your sam/drg/war are pumping out thier best 5-poke-jokes/Rampages just as fast as they can and faster than a rng, we drop ONE ws and end a bird's dreams of grandeur and send it on into enlightenment. Its the age old argument of whats better, 2 1000 point ws's from a sam, or 1 2000 point ws from a rng. Get over it we all get the job done one way or another. And if your rng's arent parsing somewhere at the top of the list, something is very very wrong. Even w/o buffs from brd or cor, wlugwinder STILL does hands down better damage on average and we STILL can get 5-hit builds as easily as other jobs.


Quote:
Go level a support job and maybe you'll learn something. It's a bitch to pull, keep up buffs 100%, handle links if they arise, and anything else I missed. How about you go pull jackass and that way, your BRD will have time to sing buffs just for you. Oh wait, that means your damage will suffer... OH noess...



Oh how quickly we forget...apparently you dont remember when it was a ranger's JOB to be the puller, it was either you or the thf, and most thfs pussed out on my server. So dont give me any sh*t about "oh you go pull"

and on another note, since apprently you havent figured this one out, i'll clue you in as to how brds tend to do things. Pull 1-2 birds, sing a song, pull another bird, sing 2nd song, pull another, sing your 3rd, pull another sing your 4th. By the reckoning that it takes 8 secs to sing a song and 30 ish to kill a mob (pending on tp of Dd's at start), you should have a good 22 secs or so after your song to get out there and bring us the next mob. If your so hell bent on trying to get 2-3 or 4 songs out at once, then just bring back 3-4 birds.

I am so sick of prima-donna brds ranting on about how so very hard your job is, get over it, never, ever forget, that your #1 priority in a party is to buff the party members so that the mage(s) have MP and the melees do-what-they-do. Pulling is secondary and anyone with voke/ratt/songs/spells can pull a mob.


Quote:
Holy crapola, people complain about these job improvements? As if merit parties is the only damn thing worth doing in game? FFXI really is 'dieing.'



We arent complaining, we are debating the, as of now, hypothetical relevance of these buffs to current game play and the future of ranger.

Quote:
What's my point? My point is that before any exclusively dd player calls someone a crappy support, they really should try walking a mile in that support's shoes. See just how much more difficult their job is, and just how well you do at. Then decide if you want to call them crappy.


umm, i know i cant speak for everyone here, but after 6 years of playing this game, I'm pretty sure that we can tell quite easily, when someone sucks ass at their support job. Oh and alot of us HAVE levelled those support jobs.



Quote:
Based on? How many RNG's have you seen in meripos? How many times have you merited on RNG?


Every day. I see Rng's being scooped up for meripos nearly as they put their flags up and quite often get /tells asking me to merit when there are a dozen drg's and sam's lfg.

Quote:

How can a job that rarely ends up in a meripo be a premium meripo job? If it was a premium job for meripo it should be as frequently seen as SAM, WAR, DRG and DRK.


Your server, sir, is not the only server in FFXI and server "favorites" differ. Rngs on my server get scooped up fast, whereas apprently on yours they do not.

Quote:

The fact is, while it can do comparable to superior damage to those "big 4", it has certain disadvantages that lead it to be second class.


Okay, yes we have disadvantages, say, the same ones drg has when super jump isnt up, or war/sam as far as defensive capabilites go. However, you should really remove the "comparable" seeing as how those "big 4" with nice gear vs a nice gear rng are usually eating crow in the meripo situation.

Quote:
Cost is one of the bigger reasons. Why pay for damage when you can get it for free with one of the other 4 jobs.


I'm sorry, you cant use someone's pocket-book as a reason you dont get invited to meripo as rng. No one out there is trying to conserve you money. And if its straight up cost relevant to you, Cor is far mor expensive than ranger.

Quote:
Poor defense is another. Even if you are meticulous about shadows or 3rd eye, you are going to get hit and you will get hurt more than a WAR/SAM/DRG leading to more MP useage.


Ok, here is how this works, basically, under 500+ defense, Rng, cor, sam, drg, war, nin, mnk, blu, pup all take comparable amounts of damage. if your drg/sam or war/sam gets caught with his seigan/TE down, he's getting rocked just like anyone else. In fact, I see more drg's, sam's and war's dieing in meripos when things go bad than rangers.

Quote:
Then there is the mob movement issue which can only be ameliorated by either standing in melee range and nerfing damage, or managing your hate and again nerfing your damage.


The movement issue, is only an issue, if your rng is retarded or if your other melee DD's are so gimped they cant keep hate off a 300-500 ranged hit. Even so, a ranger can take the "hit" to their damage, and it all depends on thier weapon of choice, and still outparse most comparably geared jobs. You have lazy rangers.

Quote:
And finally, many buffs that BRDs and COR's like to use don't help RNG damage. Marches, Madrigals, Fighters Roll are all pointless for the RNG.


again we're back to your choice, you are making the choice that YOU want to use specific songs and thats that. Well tbh, i havent heard a sam, drg, war or mnk cry a river if they got double minuet instead of march + minuet or double march. The saddest thing, and something that most people just dont quite get through their skulls, is that, we as a decently or well geared rng can thoroughly embarass 80% of the dd's out there in a bird or even mamool meripo EVEN WITHOUT YOUR SONGS/ROLLS. Yes, its awesome to get them, but if i dont, oh well, it just means that the other dd's actually stand a chance of getting within 10% of my parse.

Quote:

Sure none of those things will kill a meripo but they are enough to lead party leaders to think twice about getting a RNG when another of the big 4 is available and cost is enough of an issue to keep RNG's in the closet in favor of a cheaper 75 meripo job.


Again, the only person cost should have any effect on is the ranger himself. A pt leader not inviting a rng because they are trying to conserve a rng's wallet is a bit silly when/if that rng has their flag up. Worry about your own wallet, i'll take care of mine.



Edited, Oct 21st 2009 12:23pm by Aryden

Edited, Oct 21st 2009 12:27pm by Aryden
____________________________
Sir CorLeonisX: "Nah, SE will just declare it an exploit to fight him with jobs over 75 since it's not the "proper" way to kill it, and just ban us all instead."

Deadonarrival: "Dart as usual, your post is made of FAIL."
#84 Oct 21 2009 at 12:39 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,757 posts
Quote:
Oh how quickly we forget...apparently you dont remember when it was a ranger's JOB to be the puller, it was either you or the thf, and most thfs pussed out on my server. So dont give me any sh*t about "oh you go pull"

and on another note, since apprently you havent figured this one out, i'll clue you in as to how brds tend to do things. Pull 1-2 birds, sing a song, pull another bird, sing 2nd song, pull another, sing your 3rd, pull another sing your 4th. By the reckoning that it takes 8 secs to sing a song and 30 ish to kill a mob (pending on tp of Dd's at start), you should have a good 22 secs or so after your song to get out there and bring us the next mob. If your so hell bent on trying to get 2-3 or 4 songs out at once, then just bring back 3-4 birds.

I am so sick of prima-donna brds ranting on about how so very hard your job is, get over it, never, ever forget, that your #1 priority in a party is to buff the party members so that the mage(s) have MP and the melees do-what-they-do. Pulling is secondary and anyone with voke/ratt/songs/spells can pull a mob.


If pulling is so secondary, you would still want to do it in a merit party? I don't think so. I realize RNG's used to pull more often, but times have changed and BRD's pull faster without sacrificing the loss of damage. I've never seen a melee help pull besides provoking a *pop* that is right on top of them UNLESS the camp is totally clear and they are spreading out to find one. Anyone else know what I'm talking about here? I also understand how the mobs are staged. That doesn't change the fact that melee tend to kill too fast most of the time and extra buffs drop from the cycle due to pulling more mobs. Besides, if your melee are killing that fast, you don't need the extra buffs now do you. Unless you're only interested in your own e-peen. I never claimed to have a BRD sing all their jobs at one time. I said 32sec per cycle which is TRUE!. I know I try to stagger the rolls on COR so they don't wear off at the same time.

I'm not making any excuses for BRD's. The support jobs BRD, COR, and healers have the toughest role in a merit party, that's a fact. All you have to do on RNG is shoot your gun/bow/xbow and WS, big whoop. I can't believe how ignorant you are Aryden. Support classes clearly do more work and even if a BRD isn't the best one, they still do 10x the work you do.


Edited, Oct 21st 2009 1:44pm by ShadowedgeFFXI

Edited, Oct 21st 2009 1:47pm by ShadowedgeFFXI
____________________________

If it doesn't happen, we're left with just one option. While we can talk about PlayStation 4 as a mid-range PC in a miniature box, to comprehensively best the console's most powerful elements, once again it seems likely that PC owners will need more money to brute-force their way through to improved performance.

Source
#85 Oct 21 2009 at 1:37 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
Quote:
I'm not making any excuses for BRD's. The support jobs BRD, COR, and healers have the toughest role in a merit party, that's a fact. All you have to do on RNG is shoot your gun/bow/xbow and WS, big whoop. I can't believe how ignorant you are Aryden. Support classes clearly do more work and even if a BRD isn't the best one, they still do 10x the work you do.


Thank you, cause the only job i have ever levelled, at all, in any game is Rng... Let me set you straight on something here guy:

1) The support job you choose, is only difficult if you make it that way. There are easy ways and hard ways to accomplish the same goals, if you choose to be obstinate, fine, your choice.

2) If your party needs a puller while your brd or cor buffs people, anyone should understand and be perfectly willing to shoot or voke of whatever they need to do to get the next mob in, only greedy self loving dipsh*ts stand around with their thumbs in their asses expecting other people to wear 10 hats at once. I pull all the damn time in meripos JUST SO the brd or cor can get in their buff cycles on the mage(s). Its called an actual functioning TEAM of people out for one goal.

3)YOUR JOB is to buff the party members. PERIOD, otherwise wtf use are you? Why would i fill a slot in a pt with a cor who doesnt buff, or a brd who doesnt either, you would be a waste of space. SO use your damn buff, OPEN your mouth and say "Hey i'm buffing, someone grab a mob or 2" and do what you do. sh*t man it's simple communication, the DD's in parties want merits/Xp and dont really give 2 sh*ts about how it gets to them as long as it keeps coming in. I have YET to ever hear any Dd in a meripo bitch or whine if asked to grab a mob or 2 while buffs are going up. So do NOT sit here and tell me you have the most difficult job on the planet because YOU cant make things run smoother. Yeah Rng is stupid easy, we all admit that and support jobs are added difficulty, but stop whining about it and do what you hav to to make your life easier and less QQ over it.
____________________________
Sir CorLeonisX: "Nah, SE will just declare it an exploit to fight him with jobs over 75 since it's not the "proper" way to kill it, and just ban us all instead."

Deadonarrival: "Dart as usual, your post is made of FAIL."
#86 Oct 22 2009 at 11:58 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,916 posts
Quote:
Every day. I see Rng's being scooped up for meripos nearly as they put their flags up and quite often get /tells asking me to merit when there are a dozen drg's and sam's lfg.


That's funny because I've only meripo'd with a RNG twice in my 100's of thousands of limit points on COR. One had a Kraken club. Both times we performed suboptimally because the RNG's spike damage lead to hate control and MP issues and loss of chain because of lack of smooth timing on pulls. When the RNG"s were replaced with WAR's the chains went smoother and MP wasn't an issue.

So my experience differs muchly from yours.
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#87 Oct 22 2009 at 12:43 PM Rating: Default
***
1,748 posts
Quote:
I've never seen a melee help pull besides provoking a *pop* that is right on top of them UNLESS the camp is totally clear and they are spreading out to find one.


then you have partied with alot of lazy people, I always help pull on rng if I can, but rangers pulling is kind of dumb anyways, rangers are finishers, we use are ws to kill the mob, if we have to run to pull when mob isnt dead, we end up sitting on alot of mp.

and to last poster, if your rangers in party did subpar, its not the job, it was the player.

any ranger with an ouce of skill knows when is the best time to sidewinder to ensure the mob dies or is one hit from death when you end up pulling hate. If a ranger is doing a sidewinder in the first 50% of mobs health, then he sucks.
____________________________
BANNED
#88 Oct 22 2009 at 12:52 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,544 posts
xbobbobx wrote:
we use are ws to kill the mob, if we have to run to pull when mob isnt dead, we end up sitting on alot of mp.


Why are you going to parties subbing a mage job?

:P

Edited, Oct 22nd 2009 2:52pm by Louiscool
____________________________


#89 Oct 22 2009 at 1:29 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
Quote:
That's funny because I've only meripo'd with a RNG twice in my 100's of thousands of limit points on COR. One had a Kraken club. Both times we performed suboptimally because the RNG's spike damage lead to hate control and MP issues and loss of chain because of lack of smooth timing on pulls. When the RNG"s were replaced with WAR's the chains went smoother and MP wasn't an issue.

So my experience differs muchly from yours.


I'm sorry to hear that, but I have to agree with Xbob when i say, that was just a bad rng. Unfortunately, with the changes that were made to the job and the proclivity of people to flock like sheep to whatever is the new cool hot thing for their server, we received an influx of complete noobs to a job that, much like many others, needs intelligence, patience and control to perform correctly. Yeah i end up taking a few hits here and there in meripos, we all do, and yeah occasionally i @#%^ up or my SW/SS didnt do quite enough, it happens, but a good rng controls those instances as much as they can and limits them to the best of their ability.
____________________________
Sir CorLeonisX: "Nah, SE will just declare it an exploit to fight him with jobs over 75 since it's not the "proper" way to kill it, and just ban us all instead."

Deadonarrival: "Dart as usual, your post is made of FAIL."
#90 Oct 22 2009 at 2:13 PM Rating: Default
***
1,748 posts
Quote:
Why are you going to parties subbing a mage job?


rng/sch ftw. sleep the pulls, never tried?
____________________________
BANNED
#91 Oct 22 2009 at 2:26 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
Quote:
rng/sch ftw. sleep the pulls, never tried?


no because being slept by a mob that wakes up is a bad thing, and you dont have shadows/third eye to absorb damage.
____________________________
Sir CorLeonisX: "Nah, SE will just declare it an exploit to fight him with jobs over 75 since it's not the "proper" way to kill it, and just ban us all instead."

Deadonarrival: "Dart as usual, your post is made of FAIL."
#92 Oct 22 2009 at 7:28 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,916 posts
Quote:
Unfortunately, with the changes that were made to the job and the proclivity of people to flock like sheep to whatever is the new cool hot thing for their server, we received an influx of complete noobs to a job that, much like many others, needs intelligence, patience and control to perform correctly. Yeah i end up taking a few hits here and there in meripos, we all do, and yeah occasionally i @#%^ up or my SW/SS didnt do quite enough, it happens, but a good rng controls those instances as much as they can and limits them to the best of their ability.


Which is again the problem. Most of the population generally is average. So they take the easiest way out. Which is to play WAR or SAM in a meripo. Which is why I don't see many RNG in meripo. Because it does require skill and cash and even if done right most leaders will still pick a SAM or WAR or DRG or DRK first.

____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
#93 Oct 22 2009 at 9:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,681 posts
Quote:
Quote:
rng/sch ftw. sleep the pulls, never tried?



no because being slept by a mob that wakes up is a bad thing, and you dont have shadows/third eye to absorb damage.
Woosh!

And this whole argument is exactly why whenever I merit on BRD, I do so only within my LS. If I want to roll with a RNG, I make it three RNGs, COR, WHM/SCH or RDM and my BRD. If I want a melee group, then I'll do that.

Song 1
Pull
Song 2
Pull, Sleep
Song 3
Pull, Sleep
Song 4
Pull, Sleep
Song 5
Pull, Sleep
Song 6
Pull, Sleep

If that is ALL you are doing as BRD in the party, I guaruntee you songs will be wearing off faster than you can put them back up. Add in recasting Shadows, occasional Finale on a Skoffin/Mamool, then 4 songs can even suffer the occasional drop to three.

And btw, I avoid birds like the plague. Call me old fashion, but I like eating good food. I also like empty camps, and that is much more common on Bahamut at MJSP than Birdies.
____________________________
RNG:75 MNK:75 WHM:75 BRD:75 BST:75 SAM:75 WAR:75 THF:75 BLM:75
DRG:72 SMN:63 DRK:55 NIN:49 PLD:42 RDM:41 DNC:37 SCH:37 BLU:37 COR:20 PUP:22
Woodworking:88 Cooking:60 Alchemy:60 Bone:60 Leather:60 Cloth:60 Smithing:60 Gold:54 Fishing:33
#94 Oct 23 2009 at 3:10 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
I have to agree with you there Cyth, however, i have bards all the time that have no issues with pull more than 2 birds or mobs at a time, sleeping them and rebuffing us while they sleep. My argument from earlier was not about how easy or difficult any of the jobs are in meripos, but how people get stuck in this single minded mentality of there being only one way to do something, thus really just making it harder on one's self and then having the audacity to whine about it. Hence why i so much prefer meriting with LS members.
____________________________
Sir CorLeonisX: "Nah, SE will just declare it an exploit to fight him with jobs over 75 since it's not the "proper" way to kill it, and just ban us all instead."

Deadonarrival: "Dart as usual, your post is made of FAIL."
#95 Oct 23 2009 at 6:49 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
4,681 posts
Well, pulling 2 mobs at a time is a matter of neccessity at MJSP. BST and DRG, assuming they've got pets up. Sleeping multiple mobs, or sleeping one and tanking another is no problem, but again this takes time away from being able to do a rotation including 5-6 songs.

Using Horde lullaby to keep 3 or more mobs slept is possible, but since your healer likely only has 2 sleeps and lullaby only lasts 33-36 seconds (instrument dependant), then this "can" cause problems. It won't always, but I'm pointing out it adds another element of unpredictability. And the last thing a BRD wants is three angry mobs waking up at the same time, 1 second into singing a buff.
____________________________
RNG:75 MNK:75 WHM:75 BRD:75 BST:75 SAM:75 WAR:75 THF:75 BLM:75
DRG:72 SMN:63 DRK:55 NIN:49 PLD:42 RDM:41 DNC:37 SCH:37 BLU:37 COR:20 PUP:22
Woodworking:88 Cooking:60 Alchemy:60 Bone:60 Leather:60 Cloth:60 Smithing:60 Gold:54 Fishing:33
#96 Oct 26 2009 at 11:43 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,089 posts
true, but doing our jobs properly, that shouldnt matter all that much.
____________________________
Sir CorLeonisX: "Nah, SE will just declare it an exploit to fight him with jobs over 75 since it's not the "proper" way to kill it, and just ban us all instead."

Deadonarrival: "Dart as usual, your post is made of FAIL."
#97 Oct 28 2009 at 1:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
938 posts
Dartagnann wrote:
Quote:
I disagree.


Based on? How many RNG's have you seen in meripos? How many times have you merited on RNG?

How can a job that rarely ends up in a meripo be a premium meripo job? If it was a premium job for meripo it should be as frequently seen as SAM, WAR, DRG and DRK.

The fact is, while it can do comparable to superior damage to those "big 4", it has certain disadvantages that lead it to be second class.

Cost is one of the bigger reasons. Why pay for damage when you can get it for free with one of the other 4 jobs.
Poor defense is another. Even if you are meticulous about shadows or 3rd eye, you are going to get hit and you will get hurt more than a WAR/SAM/DRG leading to more MP useage.
Then there is the mob movement issue which can only be ameliorated by either standing in melee range and nerfing damage, or managing your hate and again nerfing your damage.
And finally, many buffs that BRDs and COR's like to use don't help RNG damage. Marches, Madrigals, Fighters Roll are all pointless for the RNG.

Sure none of those things will kill a meripo but they are enough to lead party leaders to think twice about getting a RNG when another of the big 4 is available and cost is enough of an issue to keep RNG's in the closet in favor of a cheaper 75 meripo job.


Being a RNG I completely agree with everything you say. I would soon take my THF to a merit pt then my RNG (even though my RNG has pretty pimped out gear compared to my THF)

However, as a RNG and a COR, I will usually use buffs that help everyone. EX if we have a RNG, it'll probably end up being hunters / chaos or chaos / samurai roll.
#98 Dec 09 2009 at 6:27 PM Rating: Default
Thief's Knife
*****
15,049 posts
They should add a +snapshot effect to March.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XI 12-14-11 Update wrote:
Adjust the resolution of menus.
The main screen resolution for "FINAL FANTASY XI" is dependent on the "Overlay Graphics Resolution" setting.
If the Overlay Graphics Resolution is set higher than the Menu Resolution, menus will be automatically resized.


I thought of it first:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=130073657654872218#20
#99 Dec 10 2009 at 12:37 AM Rating: Default
*
198 posts
bumptastic?
____________________________
75 SAM / 75 RNG / 75 Nin / 75 Cor / 75 War
I got my endgame LS! http://homingmissile.wowultra.com/
#100 Dec 10 2009 at 5:31 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,209 posts
So like... has camouflage become a more worthwhile feature after this patch?
I haven't heard anyone comments on it.
#101 Dec 10 2009 at 9:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,916 posts
I really can't say. I try to use it before barrage or slugshot when its up and honestly can't say I pull less hate. If it is an enmity reduction, it is minor

It also immediately wears after job abilities/weapon skills, whereas I can keep it up for a few shots on regular shots provided the monster isn't facing me.

Other than the ranged distance messages which are nice for us 360 users, I can't say the job update was terribly useful for ranger. The Velocity shot timer change was nice but the 5 min recast is still too long
____________________________
Mirabelle
Race: Mithra
Server: Ifrit
75COR/75RDM/75RNG/45THF/37BLM/38WHM/37NIN/37DRK/41BLU/37DNC/37SAM/37WAR/37SCH
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (20)