Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

New short-term tanking abilityFollow

#1 Feb 28 2010 at 7:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
743 posts
Vanafest 2010 wrote:
WAR: May get an ability allowing them to tank for a short period of time enhancing their versatility in parties.


Link to twitter feed.
I for one have been waiting for something like this. Hey, pull hate? Who cares! Throw on Retaliation while you're at it and you got yourself a solid setup.
____________________________
Retired

10,000 Pages wrote:
Kaolian is become death; destroyer of all fun and good times.

Johnny Cash wrote:
Faith, it's like a flower of light in a field of darkness giving me the strength to carry on.
#2 Feb 28 2010 at 8:07 AM Rating: Decent
******
49,745 posts
Dynas wrote:
I for one have been waiting for something like this.
Something like what? Warrior could already tank.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#3 Feb 28 2010 at 10:41 AM Rating: Default
23 posts
your sig says 75pld,war.. yet you just now figured out warrior can tank?
it was the first tank class and still very capable of doing it.. how could you possibly level 2 jobs to 75 and not know that lol
#4 Feb 28 2010 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
**
568 posts
uh.. lay off the OP guys. It would be nice to have a tanking stance on WAR to improve our tanking abilities. Yes, we "can" tank, but really outside of merits/exp, should we? Right now, WAR is at best a third tier tank. MNK and SAM are better for some situations, while NIN and PLD are better for the rest. WAR is... really not that great for tanking (it could certainly be improved!)

I'm curious as to the nature of the update. Maybe some enhancement to retaliation, like taking half damage from retaliated attacks, and increasing proc rate.
____________________________
Leviathan
Elvaan Female
Windurstian
76PLD/75WAR/75COR/45NIN/39RNG/37SAM/26THF/25WHM
#5Nilatai the Intelligent, Posted: Feb 28 2010 at 12:46 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) MNK was better. I see PUP overtaking us thanks to this update.
#6 Feb 28 2010 at 12:53 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
12,446 posts
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
MNK was better. I see PUP overtaking us thanks to this update.

I mean, jump from C to A skill? That's f*cking retarded.
I know, I take back everything mean I've ever said about SE Smiley: inlove
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server, FFXI [Retired]
Amerida Baker, Balmung Server, FFXIV
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#7 Feb 28 2010 at 3:09 PM Rating: Default
*****
15,268 posts
Princess Jinte wrote:
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
MNK was better. I see PUP overtaking us thanks to this update.

I mean, jump from C to A skill? That's f*cking retarded.
I know, I take back everything mean I've ever said about SE Smiley: inlove
WHERE THE CRAP HAVE YOU BEEN?!
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8 Feb 28 2010 at 3:34 PM Rating: Decent
******
49,745 posts
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
Princess Jinte wrote:
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
MNK was better. I see PUP overtaking us thanks to this update.

I mean, jump from C to A skill? That's f*cking retarded.
I know, I take back everything mean I've ever said about SE Smiley: inlove
WHERE THE CRAP HAVE YOU BEEN?!
AND WHY HAVEN'T YOUS CHANGED YOUR AVATARS?!

I bet its A-.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#9 Feb 28 2010 at 7:55 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
12,446 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
Princess Jinte wrote:
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
MNK was better. I see PUP overtaking us thanks to this update.

I mean, jump from C to A skill? That's f*cking retarded.
I know, I take back everything mean I've ever said about SE Smiley: inlove
WHERE THE CRAP HAVE YOU BEEN?!
AND WHY HAVEN'T YOUS CHANGED YOUR AVATARS?!

I bet its A-.
RL drama owning my life, and I like this avatar Smiley: motz
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server, FFXI [Retired]
Amerida Baker, Balmung Server, FFXIV
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#10 Mar 01 2010 at 2:30 AM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
MNK was better. I see PUP overtaking us thanks to this update.

I mean, jump from C to A skill? That's f*cking retarded.
You're still going to have more Martial Arts traits and just generally be better, though. I don't see PUP on Destroyers.
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#11 Mar 01 2010 at 2:17 PM Rating: Default
*****
15,268 posts
Lucinus wrote:
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
MNK was better. I see PUP overtaking us thanks to this update.

I mean, jump from C to A skill? That's f*cking retarded.
You're still going to have more Martial Arts traits and just generally be better, though. I don't see PUP on Destroyers.
The thing is giving PUP this massive update has once again f*cked up the game balance. On the same scale as the huge SAM buff did.

Meh.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#12 Mar 01 2010 at 3:38 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
4,864 posts
Wouldn't the update make the current A level of H2H for Monk higher thereby keeping it still relatively more than PUP? Am I missing somewhere where PUP gets better but MNK stays the same?
____________________________
Carbuncle


#13 Mar 01 2010 at 4:13 PM Rating: Good
******
49,745 posts
Assuming the current scheme of (roughly) five skill levels per job level for A+ and four for A-, at 99 it would be 396 for A+ and 365 for A-, give or take one or two.

Somehow, I can't see that working out in the long run, so we can look forward to Square fumbling with the combat mechanics again.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#14 Mar 01 2010 at 4:58 PM Rating: Default
*****
15,268 posts
TheBarrister wrote:
Wouldn't the update make the current A level of H2H for Monk higher thereby keeping it still relatively more than PUP? Am I missing somewhere where PUP gets better but MNK stays the same?
PUP can now break 300 skill. Which is a base damage increase in Hand-to-Hand terms.

They just got a massive boost to their damage potential. I don't seem to remember the (good) PUPs sucking all that badly when it came to merits. Yet they get a massive buff and MNKs are stuck holding our *****.

Milich sums it up I think:

milich wrote:
the annoying thing about this update (and also about crybaby PUPs) is posters like this who have apparently been playing for about a year and don't remember when MNK was an loljob that made all its own parties. we've received no notable updates since that time, either. i never had sympathy for PUPs (except for the horrible AI that @#%^ed with soloing; SE should have fixed that immediately). i like PUP. i dislike people who clamor for things that make the game worse, and then get them.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#15 Mar 01 2010 at 6:55 PM Rating: Good
**
369 posts
Aren't they going to up the level cap in an update or two? So doesn't that mean MNK will get over 300 Hand to Hand as well?
#16 Mar 01 2010 at 7:21 PM Rating: Default
*****
15,268 posts
Attrebus wrote:
Aren't they going to up the level cap in an update or two? So doesn't that mean MNK will get over 300 Hand to Hand as well?
Yes. We've wanted to break 300 H2H for years.

PUPs whine about not getting parties over and over and they get it before we do? Seems like BS to me.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#17 Mar 01 2010 at 8:56 PM Rating: Good
***
1,067 posts
i dont think you have that much to worry about.

back when 1hd was the way to go, bst had the same skill level, same weaponskill, and same equipment as war, and they had a pet. yet they never took wars place in parties...
#18 Mar 01 2010 at 10:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
996 posts
iknoweverything wrote:
i dont think you have that much to worry about.

back when 1hd was the way to go, bst had the same skill level, same weaponskill, and same equipment as war, and they had a pet. yet they never took wars place in parties...


Not to derail the thread but BST also did not have snarl as such they would have to sub /nin. No DA or Zerk, and lets not even get into merits...

BST can be a good DD, but the comparison of Bst to War and Mnk to Pup is not a good comparison.

Pup when properly played is already powerful.
____________________________
Arcari wrote:
It's the animation. All Drakesbane does is poke a mob and make lights appear. Ukko's Fury smashes a hole through existence itself to damage an opponent.

#19 Mar 02 2010 at 8:48 AM Rating: Default
*****
15,268 posts
iknoweverything wrote:
i dont think you have that much to worry about.

back when 1hd was the way to go, bst had the same skill level, same weaponskill, and same equipment as war, and they had a pet. yet they never took wars place in parties...
I guess. It's still a spit in the face, though. I'm tempted to stop inviting PUPs out of principle. Smiley: sly
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#20 Mar 02 2010 at 10:22 AM Rating: Excellent
**
879 posts
Wars have 3 short-term tanking abilities already. They are called:

- Raging Rush
- Seigan
- Third Eye
____________________________
Khory

TybudX wrote:
The hardest part of this game is finding 5-17 other people who aren't retarded.
#21 Mar 02 2010 at 10:31 AM Rating: Decent
*****
15,268 posts
TheKhory wrote:
Wars have 3 short-term tanking abilities already. They are called:

- Raging Rush
- Seigan
- Third Eye
You sir, get a cookie. Smiley: cookie
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#22 Mar 02 2010 at 10:44 AM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
TheKhory wrote:
Wars have 3 short-term tanking abilities already. They are called:

- Raging Rush
- Seigan
- Third Eye
You sir, get a cookie. Smiley: cookie
You missed Retaliation. Shit's hilarious in Nyzul.

Edited, Mar 2nd 2010 11:44am by Lucinus
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#23 Mar 04 2010 at 7:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
12,446 posts
Lucinus wrote:
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
TheKhory wrote:
Wars have 3 short-term tanking abilities already. They are called:

- Raging Rush
- Seigan
- Third Eye
You sir, get a cookie. Smiley: cookie
You missed Retaliation. Shit's hilarious in Nyzul.

Edited, Mar 2nd 2010 11:44am by Lucinus
Provoke says hi.

Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
iknoweverything wrote:
i dont think you have that much to worry about.

back when 1hd was the way to go, bst had the same skill level, same weaponskill, and same equipment as war, and they had a pet. yet they never took wars place in parties...
I guess. It's still a spit in the face, though. I'm tempted to stop inviting PUPs out of principle. Smiley: sly


love you too, nil.

Also, remember that you're still far and away better off in terms of gear choice, and also, pup is a lot harder to play well, and gear well. Even with the A- h2h, the number of pups you'll actually have to worry about beating you are pretty much the same as now, maybe a little higher.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server, FFXI [Retired]
Amerida Baker, Balmung Server, FFXIV
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#24 Mar 05 2010 at 2:18 AM Rating: Decent
*****
15,268 posts
I ****** off some PUPs with my posts in this thread. Smiley: laugh
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#25 Mar 05 2010 at 3:35 AM Rating: Good
***
3,959 posts
Princess Jinte wrote:
Lucinus wrote:
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
TheKhory wrote:
Wars have 3 short-term tanking abilities already. They are called:

- Raging Rush
- Seigan
- Third Eye
You sir, get a cookie. Smiley: cookie
You missed Retaliation. Shit's hilarious in Nyzul.

Edited, Mar 2nd 2010 11:44am by Lucinus
Provoke says hi.
The last few times I did Nyzul, it was with a WAR in my LS that was essentially raping the parse (not that anyone was bothering to run one) and it took a fair bit of effort to drag things away from him in some cases. Don't think he even needed Provoke.
____________________________
LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH
#26TheBarrister, Posted: Mar 05 2010 at 4:20 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I made on one the main forum responding to someone asking another poster "Should BLU, PUP, COR, SCH and DNC been introduced? Would the game be better off or worse without them?"
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (1)