Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Incoming stuff for BLMFollow

#1 Aug 19 2011 at 8:02 AM Rating: Excellent
**
275 posts
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/13085-dev1024-Job-Adjustments?p=173468#post173468

Manawell (Lv. 95)
Eliminates the cost of the next magic spell the target casts.

Thunder V (BLM Lv. 92)
Deals lightning damage to an enemy.

Blizzaja (BLM Lv. 93)
Deals ice damage to enemies within area of effect. Successive use enhances spell potency.

Breakga (BLM Lv. 95)
Petrifies enemies within area of effect, preventing them from acting.

Comet (BLM Lv. 94)
Deals dark damage to an enemy. Successive use enhances spell potency.

Discuss :3
#2 Aug 19 2011 at 8:12 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
3,636 posts
I'm more excited for Blizzaja than Thunder V. Beyond is going to keep ice king, I believe.

Hope Comet's damage is nice. It would be great to have a dark damage spell that actually brings the pain.

Breakga seems useful. Manawell seems useful. Really it's an overall good lot. I think we came out of this pretty well ahead of most jobs.
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#3 Aug 19 2011 at 11:08 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,807 posts
Erecia wrote:
I'm more excited for Blizzaja than Thunder V. Beyond is going to keep ice king, I believe.

Hope Comet's damage is nice. It would be great to have a dark damage spell that actually brings the pain.

Breakga seems useful. Manawell seems useful. Really it's an overall good lot. I think we came out of this pretty well ahead of most jobs.

Blizzaja will absolutely rock for mass kills. As it is now, Blizzaga III is still awesome. Using -ja -> IIIga will be extremely fast and powerful with atmas and ToM staff.

Breakga I was really hoping for, considering that jobs learn break at levels in a similar pattern to them learning sleep. It will make crowd control that much easier for BLM since we can now cycle sleepga -> sleepga II -> breakga -> sleepga to keep mobs immobilized indefinitely, without the help of /SCH.

Impact is actually quite useful for the stat-down effect, but is somewhat impractical to use on BLM due to the high MP cost. Manawell just fixed that. We can now cripple our opponent for the benefit of everyone in the party, and still have MP to nuke him to ****. This I like.

Comet I have some hope for. It's higher level than Thunder V, so hopefully it will do more damage (although potency merits in ice/thunder may keep it from being as efficient/useful).

The one thing I was really hoping for that we're apparently not going to get is Drain II. It would have been especially nice to throw us a bone on HP recovery while we wait for Cure IV from /RDM at 96.
____________________________
VxSote: "He Who Stands in Smoking Crater"
BLM, WHM, RNG, RDM, SCH, NIN 99 -- Fenrir (Unicorn) -- Gold 100+, Synergy 80, all subs 60+.
Another Look at Conserve MP
Leader, Screwdriver Dynamis Linkshell
#4 Aug 19 2011 at 1:16 PM Rating: Good
Anyone else hoping they introduce an atma so that Beyond isn't nigh mandatory?

Like Pandy Warden's atma, but obtainable.
____________________________
There are two kinds of people in FFXI, those doing the laughing and those who don't know what's funny.
#5 Aug 19 2011 at 4:59 PM Rating: Good
**
275 posts
I don't see them releasing much more in the way of new atma, unless they decide to start adding in more higher-level content into abyssea areas... Lol, that'd **** a lot of people off. xD
#6 Aug 20 2011 at 4:09 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
272 posts
tertoonetwothreefour wrote:
Anyone else hoping they introduce an atma so that Beyond isn't nigh mandatory?

Like Pandy Warden's atma, but obtainable.


Beyond is better than PW atma for ice spells.
____________________________
Free Tibet!*

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value
#7 Aug 21 2011 at 7:58 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
3,636 posts
What's wrong with Beyond? Why would we want to replace it? It rocks.
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#8 Aug 21 2011 at 10:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
236 posts
Once we get thunder V soon...

Lion, Blinding Horn, Minikin


Sure we still get blizzaja but at least this is another option to mess around with.

Oh, and Ironclads will be 10x faster to solo with tier V than they already are.

Edited, Aug 21st 2011 1:02pm by JarrinGoV
____________________________
Jarrin - Ragnarok
#9 Aug 22 2011 at 2:50 AM Rating: Decent
Being tied to Ice spells has its drawbacks. It's awesome at times, to be sure, but when you're casting anything else all you've really got is a 3/5 power atma. Heck, if I know I'll be -ja farming for the LS's time, I may go with Ambition over Beyond. Stretch out that Mana Wall >:o

Though that's mostly because I don't have gaiters yet.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2011 1:54am by tertoonetwothreefour
____________________________
There are two kinds of people in FFXI, those doing the laughing and those who don't know what's funny.
#10 Aug 22 2011 at 7:44 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
3,636 posts
Wait wait. You call it a 3/5 power atma, but you're talking about going with an atma that gives 0 MAB or elemental damage instead? Don't get me wrong - Ambition is a useful tool, but either there's an argument that Beyond isn't powerful enough or there isn't.

Starting to question my gaiters anyway. It's difficult to macro and lots of mobs have enhanced move speed...
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#11 Aug 22 2011 at 9:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
272 posts
Gaiters will hurt your Mana Wall, not help it. Switching out of the Goetia Sabots +2 makes you lose the 10% pdt bonus.
____________________________
Free Tibet!*

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value
#12 Aug 22 2011 at 9:38 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
272 posts
JarrinGoV wrote:
Once we get thunder V soon...

Lion, Blinding Horn, Minikin


Sure we still get blizzaja but at least this is another option to mess around with.

Oh, and Ironclads will be 10x faster to solo with tier V than they already are.

Edited, Aug 21st 2011 1:02pm by JarrinGoV


I'm thinking it would be best to stay with Minikin, Ultimate, Beyond. Swapping Beyond for either Lion or Blinding horn would give an extra 10 MAB for thunder spells, but at a cost of 60 MAB for ice spells. And with Blizzaja, I'll still be using ice spells more often than thunder.
____________________________
Free Tibet!*

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value
#13 Aug 22 2011 at 10:44 AM Rating: Decent
@Ere: Beyond is powerful enough, just on ice spells. If it's okay to have a blm with 110 ice ele mab, why only 80 mab non-ice? Any NM that's not right down our alley we get -30% power (less diminishing returns)? From the general reception it's gotten here I guess the feeling isn't widely held.

@Yank: I was referring to mob training when I was talkin about Gaiters.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2011 10:34am by tertoonetwothreefour
____________________________
There are two kinds of people in FFXI, those doing the laughing and those who don't know what's funny.
#14 Aug 22 2011 at 11:57 AM Rating: Good
****
5,649 posts
tertoonetwothreefour wrote:
@Ere: Beyond is powerful enough, just on ice spells.

It sounds like you want another Atma that's somewhere in between Beyond and Ultimate. It would give a bigger boost to all elements (perhaps something like 35 to 40 MAB), but no boost to any specific element. Your ice nukes would be weaker, but your other nukes would be stronger.

That sound about right?
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#15 Aug 22 2011 at 12:31 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
3,636 posts
tertoonetwothreefour wrote:
@Ere: Beyond is powerful enough, just on ice spells. If it's okay to have a blm with 110 ice ele mab, why only 80 mab non-ice? Any NM that's not right down our alley we get -30% power (less diminishing returns)? From the general reception it's gotten here I guess the feeling isn't widely held.

Maybe the feeling isn't widely understood, because I still don't get it. Even if you ignore the ice and light potency on Beyond completely, it's still 30 MAB, which is good enough to be a top notch BLM atma and worth equipping, especially since Pandy Warden kills are nigh unobtainable.

You're looking at it like the ice damage is the standard and everything else loses 30% damage with Beyond equipped; I'm looking at it like everything else gains 30 MAB and ice is super powered.

Even if I DID have ****'s Guardian, I'd still go with Beyond. 30% damage to my strongest single nuke, soon to be strongest -ja, 5/5 merit category spell is far far better than 20 MAB on everything else when the only other thing I have merited is thunder.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2011 2:31pm by Erecia
____________________________
http://ereblog.livejournal.com/
Erecia and Ereblog are BACK, baby!
#16 Aug 22 2011 at 5:38 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
928 posts
VxSote wrote:
[quote=Erecia]

Breakga I was really hoping for, considering that jobs learn break at levels in a similar pattern to them learning sleep. It will make crowd control that much easier for BLM since we can now cycle sleepga -> sleepga II -> breakga -> sleepga to keep mobs immobilized indefinitely, without the help of /SCH.



This. I was looking forward to be able to cast breakga, sleepga, Sleepga II and have be able to have something that will overlap sleepga II if something goes wrong.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2011 7:39pm by Fumikuu

Edited, Aug 22nd 2011 7:40pm by Fumikuu
#17 Aug 22 2011 at 5:49 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
**
928 posts
Fumikuu wrote:
[quote=VxSote][quote=Erecia]

Breakga I was really hoping for, considering that jobs learn break at levels in a similar pattern to them learning sleep. It will make crowd control that much easier for BLM since we can now cycle sleepga -> sleepga II -> breakga -> sleepga to keep mobs immobilized indefinitely, without the help of /SCH.



This. I was looking forward to be able to cast breakga, sleepga, Sleepga II and have be able to have something that will overlap sleepga II if something goes wrong.

I know what people are saying about if the atmas are not broke don't fix them, but I understand what tertoonetwothreefour is saying. I get tired of casting blizaga over and over. I love the animation of firaga. I would love to use that spell more.

I think SE messed up the element tree. If something is weak to wind, I think wind spells are the only spells that should do max damage to it. Being able to "overpower" earth based mobs with thunder instead of wind reduces the focus the game puts on the elemental wheel.

I know there are instance that do respect that philospy. Earth definately is more powerfull on Thunder Elements. But on regular mobs that dont have MDB against said element, you can get away with it.

I just never felt like because you learned X spell at Y level it should be weaker then other spells you learned at higer lvls.

I dont want them to remove ultimate cause it is that awsome. But I would like to see atmas of the same calbier for other elements.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2011 7:51pm by Fumikuu

Edited, Aug 22nd 2011 7:52pm by Fumikuu
#18 Aug 23 2011 at 7:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
272 posts
tertoonetwothreefour wrote:
@Yank: I was referring to mob training when I was talkin about Gaiters.


Yeah I knew what you meant, but I'd still take the Mana Wall bonus over the movement speed. Pulling with increased movement speed occasionally leads to pathing issues (at least in my experience), resulting in sleepga not hitting the entire group.

Then again, maybe I'm doinitwrong. Both options are viable, but the increased -pdt works better for me.
____________________________
Free Tibet!*

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value
#19 Aug 23 2011 at 8:56 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,807 posts
yankeestom wrote:

I'm thinking it would be best to stay with Minikin, Ultimate, Beyond. Swapping Beyond for either Lion or Blinding horn would give an extra 10 MAB for thunder spells, but at a cost of 60 MAB for ice spells. And with Blizzaja, I'll still be using ice spells more often than thunder.

I'm not sure how you're coming up with your numbers. Elemental affinity bonus is calculated separately from MAB. You can't just go giving arbitrary numbers like that without at least describing the other relevant conditions, like what staff is being used, and how much MAB you're starting with (including merits). And then, you need to show some math. Otherwise all you've done is made an unsubstantiated (and probably wrong) claim.

Edited, Aug 23rd 2011 10:57am by VxSote
____________________________
VxSote: "He Who Stands in Smoking Crater"
BLM, WHM, RNG, RDM, SCH, NIN 99 -- Fenrir (Unicorn) -- Gold 100+, Synergy 80, all subs 60+.
Another Look at Conserve MP
Leader, Screwdriver Dynamis Linkshell
#20 Aug 23 2011 at 10:25 AM Rating: Decent
I think Fumiku identified something for me - I'm just sick of blizzard.
____________________________
There are two kinds of people in FFXI, those doing the laughing and those who don't know what's funny.
#21 Aug 24 2011 at 9:19 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
272 posts
VxSote wrote:
yankeestom wrote:

I'm thinking it would be best to stay with Minikin, Ultimate, Beyond. Swapping Beyond for either Lion or Blinding horn would give an extra 10 MAB for thunder spells, but at a cost of 60 MAB for ice spells. And with Blizzaja, I'll still be using ice spells more often than thunder.

I'm not sure how you're coming up with your numbers. Elemental affinity bonus is calculated separately from MAB. You can't just go giving arbitrary numbers like that without at least describing the other relevant conditions, like what staff is being used, and how much MAB you're starting with (including merits). And then, you need to show some math. Otherwise all you've done is made an unsubstantiated (and probably wrong) claim.


I don't see how staves, merits, etc are relevant to the discussion; I was talking about the difference from atmas alone. And yes I understand that there is a difference between MAB and elemental affinity. I over-generalized and just said "MAB" for brevity because the difference has no bearing on my basic point.

Removing Beyond and adding Lion or BH increases Thunder damage while decreasing damage from every non-Thunder spell. Unless you're ONLY going to be using Thunder spells it makes more sense to stay with Minikin/Ultimate/Beyond.





Edited, Aug 24th 2011 11:56am by yankeestom
____________________________
Free Tibet!*

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value
#22 Aug 24 2011 at 10:47 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
236 posts
Quote:
Removing Beyond and adding Lion or BH increases Thunder damage while decreasing damage from every non-Thunder spell. Unless you're ONLY going to be using Thunder spells it makes more sense to stay with Minikin/Ultimate/Beyond.


Which is why I offered a specific example in my original post. I wasn't arguing against using beyond, I was just offering another set of atma's to play around with, especially when soloing. Like killing IC Severer solo in under 20 minutes on blm; a nice challenge for inexperienced blm's to try.
____________________________
Jarrin - Ragnarok
#23 Aug 24 2011 at 11:27 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,807 posts
yankeestom wrote:
I don't see how staves, merits, etc are relevant to the discussion; I was talking about the difference from atmas alone. And yes I understand that there is a difference between MAB and elemental affinity. I over-generalized and just said "MAB" for brevity because the difference has no bearing on my basic point.

If you think that the difference between MAB and elemental affinity have no bearing, then you don't understand how magic damage is calculated. I suggest you start by reading the Calculating Magic Damage page on the wiki, although it still has some problems regarding elemental staves. You are comparing damage output by varying elemental affinity and MAB, and to do so, you need to consider how much total you have of both. That brings staves and merits into the equation. They are 100% relevant.

yankeestom wrote:
Removing Beyond and adding Lion or BH increases Thunder damage while decreasing damage from every non-Thunder spell. Unless you're ONLY going to be using Thunder spells it makes more sense to stay with Minikin/Ultimate/Beyond.
This is a generalized statement. However, in your previous post, you threw out specific numbers. You don't get to just throw numbers out and explain it away as a generalization, because that's ********* and if nobody else calls you on it, I will, every time.

I will also point out that your generalized statement is only correct if you make the additional assumption that damage from +30% thunder affinity is more than that from +30 MAB. Once again, it depends. For BLM, under typical circumstances (MM and Ultimate, native MAB, thunder merits, gear) it will be true, even using an Indra's +2. But that doesn't mean you can make a blanket statement implying that it will always be true under any circumstance.
____________________________
VxSote: "He Who Stands in Smoking Crater"
BLM, WHM, RNG, RDM, SCH, NIN 99 -- Fenrir (Unicorn) -- Gold 100+, Synergy 80, all subs 60+.
Another Look at Conserve MP
Leader, Screwdriver Dynamis Linkshell
#24 Aug 24 2011 at 1:16 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
272 posts
Thanks Rog Jr., but I’m fully aware of the difference between elemental affinity and MAB. Elemental affinity adds much more than MAB does. However, this is beside the point and has nothing to do with what I was saying in my original post. If I was comparing the effects of one set of atmas vs. another set of atmas on Thunder IV, then those differences would be germane to the discussion. That’s not what I was doing.

Let me spell out my original point for you again. Read it slowly so you understand it this time, and stop reading more into it than I’m saying:

If you stop using Beyond and replace it with a thunder affinity atma, THE DAMAGE ON YOUR NON-THUNDER SPELLS WILL BE REDUCED. The difference between MAB and elemental affinity is not germane to the point I’m making here. Your blizzards, stones, aeros, fires, and waters will do less damage because you replaced a general MAB atma with a one that only affects thunder. It was not my intent to quantify or comment on the amount of increase it will do to your thunder spell.

Here’s my original quote:
Quote:
I'm thinking it would be best to stay with Minikin, Ultimate, Beyond. Swapping Beyond for either Lion or Blinding horn would give an extra 10 MAB for thunder spells, but at a cost of 60 MAB for ice spells. And with Blizzaja, I'll still be using ice spells more often than thunder.

Granted, I threw MAB and elemental-specific modifiers together for the sake of brevity. I’m sorry if this got you wrapped around the axle to the extent that you missed my point. Yes, the “10 MAB” should have read “+10 thunder attack” and “60 MAB” should have read “30 MAB + 30 ice attack”.

Your argument seems to be that I’m not giving due consideration to the difference between +40 thunder attack and +30 MAB. Well I’m not, because my comparison was not a before and after look at the difference to any one specific spell. It’s about which set is more useful in general. If you want to just maximize Thunder, then of course thunder affinity is going to carry more importance, and your gear/merits/etc. will be a big part of the discussion. That’s not the discussion I was having.

Here’s a rewrite of my original post.
Quote:
I'm thinking it would be best to stay with Minikin, Ultimate, Beyond. Swapping Beyond for either Lion or Blinding horn would give a bigger boost to thunder spells, but at a cost of reduced potency for ice spells. And with Blizzaja, I'll still be using ice spells more often than thunder.

My intent with that post is best highlighted by the last sentence in it. Unless you just want to play with an Ironclad or cast only thunder spells, Ultimate/Beyond will still be a better choice for general damage output across the whole spectrum of spells.
____________________________
Free Tibet!*

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value
#25 Aug 25 2011 at 6:01 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
236 posts
To be fair though, in my experience with abyssea its more about specific kills rather than merit grinding (which most people use the standard MM/Beyond/Ultimate for which is why I brought this up); at this point in the game I'd think most people who are blm probably feel the same way.

There are just so many things you can try; stuff like lone wolf, gales, lion+blinding horn, heck even cosmos soon (or cosmos now for your cataclysm's while working on your dark damage staff, /whm sux though).

Sure not using beyond or ultimate will hurt the entire range of elements, but honestly, do you use the whole range of elements each time you enter abyssea? (yellow triggering doesnt count). If you do, then thats great if that works for you. Personally I gear atmas towards a specific element usually and just swap them around as needed.
____________________________
Jarrin - Ragnarok
#26 Aug 25 2011 at 7:58 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
272 posts
JarrinGoV wrote:
Sure not using beyond or ultimate will hurt the entire range of elements, but honestly, do you use the whole range of elements each time you enter abyssea? (yellow triggering doesnt count). If you do, then thats great if that works for you. Personally I gear atmas towards a specific element usually and just swap them around as needed.


No, but I generally use more than one. Ice and Fire primarily, and with the addition of Thunder V I'm sure it will become Thunder and Ice primarily.

Most of what I do on BLM (when I'm not the designated yellow triggerer) is either TE/KI farming or pop item farming. Being tied to one element would mean waiting for spell recast times.
____________________________
Free Tibet!*

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value
#27 Aug 25 2011 at 8:16 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
236 posts
If that works for you, all's good.
____________________________
Jarrin - Ragnarok
#28 Aug 25 2011 at 9:37 AM Rating: Good
****
5,649 posts
yankeestom wrote:
JarrinGoV wrote:
Sure not using beyond or ultimate will hurt the entire range of elements, but honestly, do you use the whole range of elements each time you enter abyssea? (yellow triggering doesnt count). If you do, then thats great if that works for you. Personally I gear atmas towards a specific element usually and just swap them around as needed.

No, but I generally use more than one. Ice and Fire primarily, and with the addition of Thunder V I'm sure it will become Thunder and Ice primarily.

I tend to use at least two elements as well. Given how Beyond benefits Thunder nukes more than Lion benefits Ice nukes, I will probably stick to Beyond over Lion even after getting Thunder V.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#29 Aug 25 2011 at 10:09 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
236 posts
I think we're talking about 2 different things. Was my fault for not making it clear earlier. My original post was just offering an atma combination different from the "standard 3", based on what I do in abyssea, not thinking from someone else's perspective. What you do in abyssea and what I do seem to be on opposite ends of the spectrum. I dont xp (no need to at this point) and I usually dont farm TE if I'm soloing. Even in a pty setup TE are not an issue for the most part. I wasnt thinking along the lines of xp or TE/KI mobs (even though recast times really shouldnt be an issue even using 1 element), havent done that in months honestly.

I'm not bashing beyond, I was just saying for what I do, there are a dozen other combinations that work well together. I was just tossing that out there.
____________________________
Jarrin - Ragnarok
#30 Aug 25 2011 at 10:55 AM Rating: Excellent
Aww man, I just came back with my Smiley: popcorn ... For a second I thought this was turning into the Red Mage forums!
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#31 Aug 25 2011 at 11:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Elspetta wrote:
Aww man, I just came back with my Smiley: popcorn ... For a second I thought this was turning into the Red Mage forums!
I personally like it better when everyone is being civil. Smiley: bah
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#32 Aug 25 2011 at 11:30 AM Rating: Good
Quote:
I personally like it better when everyone is being civil.


Me too, me too!
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#33 Aug 25 2011 at 11:45 AM Rating: Good
Guru
***
1,362 posts
I suddenly became very sad today when I learned that Blizzaja, Thunder V and Comet will have to wait till late September.

I just recently finished my Dark Damage staff too.
____________________________
Kaup of Lakshmi

99BLM 99WHM 99RDM 99SCH 99SMN 99BRD 99DNC 99SAM

#34 Aug 25 2011 at 3:21 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,807 posts
yankeestom wrote:
The difference between MAB and elemental affinity is not germane to the point I’m making here.
Except that it is IS germane, because one of the two major points of your statement (that thunder will do more with Lion than it will with Beyond) is invalid unless you take that difference into account.

yankeestom wrote:
It was not my intent to quantify or comment on the amount of increase it will do to your thunder spell.
Ok, fine, then you shouldn't have thrown the numbers out there. I hope we can at least agree on that much. It's too bad, though, because if you had done so correctly, you would have been supporting your main argument.

yankeestom wrote:
I’m sorry if this got you wrapped around the axle to the extent that you missed my point.
I missed nothing. I rarely do. I also didn't take a position one way or another on your argument of which atma combination is more practical. I DID take exception to your inclusion of specific numbers and terminology which are substantially incorrect, as well as your apparent disregard for other factors which I consider to be important.

yankeestom wrote:
Yes, the “10 MAB” should have read “+10 thunder attack” and “60 MAB” should have read “30 MAB + 30 ice attack”.

Your argument seems to be that I’m not giving due consideration to the difference between +40 thunder attack and +30 MAB.
Actually, my argument was more along the lines of "where the !@#$ did you come up with 10 vs. 60", but because I am not Rog, I attempted to give you a chance to explain yourself. And now, because I am still not Rog, I won't insult you for thinking that Lion gives +40 thunder attack when it actually only gives +30.

So, for thunder, you're giving up 30 of one for 30 of the another. If you don't take the context into account, how can you explain the difference? In fact, under the right circumstances, it is actually possible for the trade from Beyond to Lion to cause your thunder damage to decrease. That is a pretty narrow set of circumstances, which practically speaking is not likely to be encountered. However, because it is possible, you need to properly qualify your statements.

And if you wanted to be especially helpful to people coming here looking for good information, you could explain that in a typical nuking scenario for a BLM using Indra's +2 (dmg), the damage increase to thunder for Lion v. Beyond is not huge. And for RDM or SCH (because not just BLMs come to the BLM forum for tips on nuking), the increase is even smaller. And then you could back it up with sample calculations or actual data.

Or you could just get ****** off that someone else on these forums actually cares about the accuracy of your posts.



Edited, Aug 25th 2011 5:25pm by VxSote
____________________________
VxSote: "He Who Stands in Smoking Crater"
BLM, WHM, RNG, RDM, SCH, NIN 99 -- Fenrir (Unicorn) -- Gold 100+, Synergy 80, all subs 60+.
Another Look at Conserve MP
Leader, Screwdriver Dynamis Linkshell
#35 Aug 25 2011 at 3:30 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
272 posts
VxSote wrote:
Actually, my argument was more along the lines of "where the !@#$ did you come up with 10 vs. 60", but because I am not Rog, I attempted to give you a chance to explain yourself. And now, because I am still not Rog, I won't insult you for thinking that Lion gives +40 thunder attack when it actually only gives +30.

So, for thunder, you're giving up 30 of one for 30 of the another.


Either you're wrong, or the wiki is. Probably the wiki, since you're so perfect.
____________________________
Free Tibet!*

*With purchase of an additional Tibet of equal or greater value
#36 Aug 25 2011 at 4:35 PM Rating: Good
yankeestom wrote:
VxSote wrote:
Actually, my argument was more along the lines of "where the !@#$ did you come up with 10 vs. 60", but because I am not Rog, I attempted to give you a chance to explain yourself. And now, because I am still not Rog, I won't insult you for thinking that Lion gives +40 thunder attack when it actually only gives +30.

So, for thunder, you're giving up 30 of one for 30 of the another.


Either you're wrong, or the wiki is. Probably the wiki, since you're so perfect.
To be fair, ffxiclopedia is often wrong. One should never take any of the wikis as gospel, but especially that one because it was updated often earlier, but has the tendency these days to not get updated with new data and information after subsequent testing. The other two wikis (BG and GE) both report it as 30%, so I'd say go with the majority on this one. BG is usually your safest bet for reliable, accurate information.

That having been said, I think all the arguing and insults in this thread are dumb. There was a miscommunication, it has since been cleared up, let's leave it at that and keep things friendly please.
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#37 Aug 26 2011 at 12:48 AM Rating: Decent
What's the basic strat for a 20 minute IC Severer? I tried a couple times and couldn't keep out of range and HP up on BLM/RDM, especially if I stopped to nuke.

Edited, Aug 25th 2011 11:48pm by tertoonetwothreefour
____________________________
There are two kinds of people in FFXI, those doing the laughing and those who don't know what's funny.
#38 Aug 26 2011 at 1:01 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
236 posts
Basic strategy is going blm/nin with liberal use of utsusemi, since one atk can wipe all 3 shadows.

Use blinding horn, Lion, and MM using only thunder based spells. Macro thunder 2,3,4 if you have to. If you have magian +2 staff and AF3+2 hat, its even easier. You can kite him in a big circle, stopping to cast thunder 2 until you get used to the pathing. Thunder 2 will do over 1k damage unresisted with this set up. I'm at work right now so I'm not sure of the directions, but there is a way to kite him in a big circle where he will path poorly, increasing the gap to nearly 30 yalms, this is the best time to get your thunder 4 ready.

Use stun as needed. The 20 minute thing was kind of a personal challenge, you need some good af procs and good pathing to get it under 20 minutes (lightningsday doesnt hurt either). Normally it can take ~ 30 minutes once you get used to it.

Keep in mind to use thunder 2 until you get used to it. He only has around 50k hp so each spell should take off roughly 2%. Increas the tiers as you get more comfortable.
____________________________
Jarrin - Ragnarok
#39 Aug 26 2011 at 1:35 AM Rating: Decent
I must not have the kite path right yet because it catches up to me all the time.
____________________________
There are two kinds of people in FFXI, those doing the laughing and those who don't know what's funny.
#40 Aug 26 2011 at 3:02 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
236 posts
It will catch up to you anywhere you end up going, even @ max casting distance, thats why you need /nin for the 3 shadows. I'm sure you are aware that ironclads have a tendency to swing @ nothing when they get around 14 yalms away, this is why thunder 2 is so important. It allows you time to cast and run away quickly while only getting hit once which shadows will absorb.

I'm not sure of the directions, so I'll use "north" as the gate location and "south" obviously down near the cliff. If memory serves me correctly, there is a small tree near the SE section of the cliff, this is where you can increase your distance to get nukes off. As you run down towards that SE section near the tree, if kited correctly, the IC will actually turn and take a few steps north towards the gate before making his way down towards that tree where you are standing, this is where you can get off a T4 nuke or actually any tier you are comfortable with.

Always keep 3 shadows up and expect to lose them each time you cast a nuke, keep all your temp items on hand (potions, powders, elixers are most important incase you get hit), use a cream puff and your tonics obviously (gambir if you have it also helps).

Be prepared to cast a nuke in the same location each time if you can, that SE section near the tree is the optimal spot. If you need to take an extra lap because timers are down then so be it.

If you have AF3+2 boots, put all your other boots in sac because you dont want to lose the manawall bonus by accident. Be smart when using manawall, no need to use it right away at the start of the fight. Save it until 20-30% of its hp is gone because that is normally when a tp move is used if you dont get hit. With a good -pdt/kite set and af3+2 boots, ballistic kick will do around 150 damage to your mp, kinda funny to watch honestly.

I dont use movement+ atma but i do kite it in -pdt set (-43% during daytime and -49% at night) and also the ASA legs with +8% movement speed.

If you're on fenrir, shoot me a tell in game.

Edited, Aug 26th 2011 5:06am by JarrinGoV
____________________________
Jarrin - Ragnarok
#41 Aug 28 2011 at 6:47 AM Rating: Good
****
5,649 posts
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
yankeestom wrote:
VxSote wrote:
Actually, my argument was more along the lines of "where the !@#$ did you come up with 10 vs. 60", but because I am not Rog, I attempted to give you a chance to explain yourself. And now, because I am still not Rog, I won't insult you for thinking that Lion gives +40 thunder attack when it actually only gives +30.

So, for thunder, you're giving up 30 of one for 30 of the another.


Either you're wrong, or the wiki is. Probably the wiki, since you're so perfect.
To be fair, ffxiclopedia is often wrong. One should never take any of the wikis as gospel, but especially that one because it was updated often earlier, but has the tendency these days to not get updated with new data and information after subsequent testing. The other two wikis (BG and GE) both report it as 30%, so I'd say go with the majority on this one. BG is usually your safest bet for reliable, accurate information.

Even the Atma summary page on ffxiclopedia shows it as 30%. Since ice attack on Beyond is 30%, and the wording on Lion is the same, it makes sense for the bonuses to be the same size.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#42 Aug 29 2011 at 4:32 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,258 posts
Beyond gives regular MAB in addition to the ICE damage. So it will be more damage than Lion.

Either way, Thunder V is pretty decent, using the same atma (including beyond), Bliz V and Thunder V did roughly the same damage.
____________________________
Signature Image
#43 Aug 30 2011 at 2:22 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,687 posts
Been messing around with Blizzaja and Comet on the test server :) Have a look at some pics/damage here
____________________________
Blogging again! http://eldelphia.wordpress.com
#44 Aug 30 2011 at 6:34 AM Rating: Good
Nice. What's the cool down on Manawell?
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
#45 Aug 30 2011 at 8:16 AM Rating: Good
***
1,142 posts
Quick video of comet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpGjCoxQTc8
____________________________
-Zenoxio (FFXI)
-Zeno Silverberg (FFXIV)
The Dunes, circa 2003
@redditFFXIV
#46 Aug 30 2011 at 10:58 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,864 posts
Elspetta wrote:
Aww man, I just came back with my Smiley: popcorn ... For a second I thought this was turning into the Red Mage forums!


Will never happen. We believe our job has 1-3 defined roles (nuker, crowd control...something else?). They have as many different opinions of what their job's role is as there are players who have RDM leveled. The cause for their arguments is that that number is approaching infinity.
____________________________
Carbuncle


#47 Aug 30 2011 at 1:10 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
Avatar
***
2,258 posts
Cool down on manawell is 10 minutes.
____________________________
Signature Image
#48 Sep 01 2011 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
TheBarrister wrote:
Elspetta wrote:
Aww man, I just came back with my Smiley: popcorn ... For a second I thought this was turning into the Red Mage forums!


Will never happen. We believe our job has 1-3 defined roles (nuker, crowd control...something else?). They have as many different opinions of what their job's role is as there are players who have RDM leveled. The cause for their arguments is that that number is approaching infinity.


Twas a joke!
____________________________
~Elspetta~
99 BLM WHM RDM SCH SMN BRD THF DNC WAR
Phoenix
~~Remember the Titans~~
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 12 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (12)