Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

V cloak and schFollow

#1 Apr 22 2008 at 5:42 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
is V cloak REALLY needed for sch? At 75 im having no issues keeping MP with 300 mp per sublimation. the only benefit this would will be campaign and maybe Nyzul assault w/ signets. ya 20mp a min is ok but without rdm refresh to stack on, i'm not sure its a big deal(its not always a brd around).

Give me your thoughts on it
#2 Apr 22 2008 at 5:52 AM Rating: Good
*
62 posts
At 68, it's something I'd like to have, but I'm not really feeling like I need it. I'm not having MP issues in parties, even w/o a BRD or RDM (or COR if I ever actually find one). It's something that's nice to have, but not 700k nice right now.
____________________________
Gorvi
Lakshmi
BLM75/SCH75/BST75/RDM62
#3 Apr 22 2008 at 7:37 AM Rating: Good
***
1,563 posts
For exp, you wont need it really.

from 57-72 It will be the best body armor you can wear while resting for getting your mp back up fast for less down time until you get errant/mahatma houppelande at 72.

However, once you start using scholar in events/solo/duoing on endgame things and NM's, yes, vermy is extremely useful and any scholar wanting to venture into that territory should find any means possible to get one.

At 72, I'm able to efficiently chain 3 IT mobs back to back without resting due to proper usage of vermy and sublimation. Do you "need" it? no. Will it you be able to perform to a higher standard? yes, if used properly and efficiently.
____________________________
Naobi
Blm: 75, Sch: 75, Rdm: 75, Nin: 75, Smn: 72

Daggz:
Blm 75, Thf 75, War 74

Crafts
Bonecraft: 100 +6, Cooking: 60, Leathercraft: 60, Alchemy: 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing: 49

Missions
Bastok: Rank 10, Windurst: Rank 10, Sandoria: Rank 10
Zilart: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: 19
WotG: 3?
Server: Bahamut
#4 Apr 22 2008 at 8:30 AM Rating: Excellent
****
7,451 posts
Equipment swap macros are your friend.

If there is ever a time where you are not casting or resting, then it's a good piece of "Standing" gear for SCH.

Also...

xXxNaobixXx wrote:
from 57-72 It will be the best body armor you can wear while resting for getting your mp back up fast for less down time until you get errant/mahatma houppelande at 72.


This.
____________________________
Before you ask a stupid crafting question, read this.
milich wrote:
Quote:
Everytime Arcturus sees this, he starts to die inside.......I know it D:
actually, i think every time Acturus is called Arcturus he dies inside.


Now THIS is PvP!

MNK ~ SMN ~ SCH
#5 Apr 23 2008 at 6:16 AM Rating: Decent
11 posts
thanks for the input =)
#6 Apr 23 2008 at 1:38 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
29 posts
Not really, your AF hat is already giving you an extra tic of refresh with sublimation, so except for the 30 seconds in between using sublimation and activating it again(which will net you an extra 10 mp between subs). Not worth the 700k for scholar.


Edited, Apr 23rd 2008 5:38pm by Walsh
#7Strai, Posted: Apr 23 2008 at 1:50 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) lolvcloakforsch
#8 Apr 23 2008 at 2:52 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
971 posts
Walsh wrote:
except for the 30 seconds in between using sublimation and activating it again(which will net you an extra 10 mp between subs). Not worth the 700k for scholar.


That.

If the player is using Sublimation correctly, the VCloak is really a waste of gil, the AF hat is just too good.
____________________________
~~ Puppetmaster // Scholar // Thief // Dancer // Blue Mage // Corsair // Geomancer // Ninja // Ranger // Summoner ~~
#9 Apr 23 2008 at 3:09 PM Rating: Decent
12 posts
Only people who have problems in keeping up Sublimation should invest in Vcloak. Especially when you gain your Scholar's Mortarboard.

If you are looking at Mp as an issue, Vcloak would be worth it I guess. But why not use Penury/Parsimny more often. AF > Vcloak, in my opinion and some others it would seem too.
#10 Apr 23 2008 at 9:24 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,563 posts
Quote:
lolvcloakforsch


I love when ppl make these kind of comments and don't know what their talking about.


Quote:
Walsh wrote:
except for the 30 seconds in between using sublimation and activating it again(which will net you an extra 10 mp between subs). Not worth the 700k for scholar.


That.

If the player is using Sublimation correctly, the VCloak is really a waste of gil, the AF hat is just too good.



If you're going to get so involved about talking about how to use Sublimation correctly and talking about efficiency, then why not go all the way and see how even more efficient the cloak can be with it. Yes cloak while under sublimation is just as effective as using it with AF since you'll get the same amount of mp back during that time. I guarantee you that hardly a scholar in the world is always going to either have have sublimation pulling, or be in the 30 sec recast window, and nothing else. At some point or another, you're guaranteed to either have a full stock sublimation waiting to be used, or possibly neither. So I don't understand where the validity lies to say how much more effecient it is to only use sublimation with af head, yet ignore the efficiency of using vermy when not pulling HP for sublimation or waiting on recast.

There's no reason why you can't have the best of both worlds. If its just to make it easier for you to justify not wanting to spend that much gil on it, then that's fine, but don't knock down the usefulness and efficiency that can be utilized from it just because you don't want to pay for an expensive item. I would venture to say that in limbus alone, which is a fairly short timed event, i'd have gained at least an extra 200-300 mp just from vermy alone. Is that because I made poor use of sublimation? No, it's because I made the best use of both of them and maximized the effectiveness and efficiency of both great tools.

And again, not to mention its the best body to /heal in from 57-72 hands down.
____________________________
Naobi
Blm: 75, Sch: 75, Rdm: 75, Nin: 75, Smn: 72

Daggz:
Blm 75, Thf 75, War 74

Crafts
Bonecraft: 100 +6, Cooking: 60, Leathercraft: 60, Alchemy: 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing: 49

Missions
Bastok: Rank 10, Windurst: Rank 10, Sandoria: Rank 10
Zilart: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: 19
WotG: 3?
Server: Bahamut
#11 Apr 24 2008 at 12:28 AM Rating: Good
**
983 posts
Actually, after lv56 with a /WHM sub, or lv68 with a /RDM sub, you can rest with Sublimation charging as long as you have Stoneskin up. So really its a matter of "Is 700k worth it to you for something you will only use situationally on Scholar?"
____________________________
Captain Wildcat Badge
~THF75 =DNC75=SCH65= WHM75~
~Clothcraft 99 / Leathercraft 60 / Goldsmithing 58 / Smithing 60 / Bonecraft 39
#12 Apr 24 2008 at 3:09 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
29 posts
Quote:

If you're going to get so involved about talking about how to use Sublimation correctly and talking about efficiency, then why not go all the way and see how even more efficient the cloak can be with it. Yes cloak while under sublimation is just as effective as using it with AF since you'll get the same amount of mp back during that time. I guarantee you that hardly a scholar in the world is always going to either have have sublimation pulling, or be in the 30 sec recast window, and nothing else. At some point or another, you're guaranteed to either have a full stock sublimation waiting to be used, or possibly neither. So I don't understand where the validity lies to say how much more effecient it is to only use sublimation with af head, yet ignore the efficiency of using vermy when not pulling HP for sublimation or waiting on recast.



Your trying to put words in my mouth, never did I say it was more efficient to just use the AF hat. We all realize that you can be slightly more efficient during slow parties where you can sit on sublimation or to get that extra 10 mp between sublimation.

Quote:
There's no reason why you can't have the best of both worlds. If its just to make it easier for you to justify not wanting to spend that much gil on it, then that's fine, but don't knock down the usefulness and efficiency that can be utilized from it just because you don't want to pay for an expensive item. I would venture to say that in limbus alone, which is a fairly short timed event, i'd have gained at least an extra 200-300 mp just from vermy alone. Is that because I made poor use of sublimation? No, it's because I made the best use of both of them and maximized the effectiveness and efficiency of both great tools.

And again, not to mention its the best body to /heal in from 57-72 hands down.


Yeah, basically its only useful for when your sitting on sublimation and not going below 75% of your mp. If that sounds like you and you have a spare 700k lying around that can't be spent for anything better; than go for it; but as the OP asked "is V cloak REALLY needed for sch?", and the answer for that is no.
#13 Apr 24 2008 at 7:24 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,563 posts
Quote:
but as the OP asked "is V cloak REALLY needed for sch?", and the answer for that is no.


As such, I stated in my very first post that it's not NEEDED but will be an extremely valueable asset. To each his/her own I guess. For the things I do it is an incredibley useful piece of gear, and I'd gladly pay for it over and over again. Then again, I'm a huge stickler about being the most efficient I possibly can be.
____________________________
Naobi
Blm: 75, Sch: 75, Rdm: 75, Nin: 75, Smn: 72

Daggz:
Blm 75, Thf 75, War 74

Crafts
Bonecraft: 100 +6, Cooking: 60, Leathercraft: 60, Alchemy: 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing: 49

Missions
Bastok: Rank 10, Windurst: Rank 10, Sandoria: Rank 10
Zilart: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: 19
WotG: 3?
Server: Bahamut
#14 Apr 24 2008 at 8:25 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,918 posts
xXxNaobixXx wrote:
If you're going to get so involved about talking about how to use Sublimation correctly and talking about efficiency, then why not go all the way and see how even more efficient the cloak can be with it. Yes cloak while under sublimation is just as effective as using it with AF since you'll get the same amount of mp back during that time. I guarantee you that hardly a scholar in the world is always going to either have have sublimation pulling, or be in the 30 sec recast window, and nothing else. At some point or another, you're guaranteed to either have a full stock sublimation waiting to be used, or possibly neither. So I don't understand where the validity lies to say how much more effecient it is to only use sublimation with af head, yet ignore the efficiency of using vermy when not pulling HP for sublimation or waiting on recast.



I love how you don't even consider the benefits from another body piece in conjunction with the AF hat, but only compare the body with no hat, to the hat alone and still they come almost to being equal.

Edited, Apr 24th 2008 12:29pm by Strai
____________________________
Playing XIV and XI, Oh yeah.
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198103
Thris the WARRIOR.

Apessius wrote:
Apessius>> (Experience Points) is such a cockblocker.

Square Enix actually wrote:
Comfortable, fuss-free adventuring for all players is one of our biggest priorities.
#15 Apr 24 2008 at 7:55 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,563 posts
Quote:



I love how you don't even consider the benefits from another body piece in conjunction with the AF hat, but only compare the body with no hat, to the hat alone and still they come almost to being equal.


Perhaps you could give example and further insight into what you're describing? I personally can't think of anything else more efficient than using af hat or vermy during sublimation, af, yigit, or errant/mahatma for nukes, af for enfeebs/drks, and vermy for all times otherwise.

Edited, Apr 25th 2008 6:50am by xXxNaobixXx
____________________________
Naobi
Blm: 75, Sch: 75, Rdm: 75, Nin: 75, Smn: 72

Daggz:
Blm 75, Thf 75, War 74

Crafts
Bonecraft: 100 +6, Cooking: 60, Leathercraft: 60, Alchemy: 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing: 49

Missions
Bastok: Rank 10, Windurst: Rank 10, Sandoria: Rank 10
Zilart: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: 19
WotG: 3?
Server: Bahamut
#16 Apr 25 2008 at 2:20 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,918 posts
xXxNaobixXx wrote:
Quote:



I love how you don't even consider the benefits from another body piece in conjunction with the AF hat, but only compare the body with no hat, to the hat alone and still they come almost to being equal.


Perhaps you could give example and further insight into what you're describing? I personally can't think of anything else more effecient than using af hat or vermy during sublimation, af, yigit, or errant/mahatma for nukes, af for enfeebs/drks, and vermy for all times otherwise.



That's where vermy over the washboard hat is self defeating, once you're gear swapping the point of refresh efficiency over sublimation isn't valid anymore.
____________________________
Playing XIV and XI, Oh yeah.
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198103
Thris the WARRIOR.

Apessius wrote:
Apessius>> (Experience Points) is such a cockblocker.

Square Enix actually wrote:
Comfortable, fuss-free adventuring for all players is one of our biggest priorities.
#17 Apr 25 2008 at 6:10 AM Rating: Good
***
1,563 posts
Quote:
That's where vermy over the washboard hat is self defeating, once you're gear swapping the point of refresh efficiency over sublimation isn't valid anymore.


I'm glad you stated this. This statement is exactly what I was afraid ppl were interpretting the use of V cloack for. The point I'm trying to get acrossed is that it is NOT used during sublimination. There's no point right? use your M.board and you get 3 per tic which is the equivilant of using 2 per tic and vermy; it kinda cancels it self out so either way you do it is just as effecient (although I prefer the hat over vermy during sublimation stocking to speed up the process, allowing to to use it more frequently). However in that scenario, makes the vermy worthless in a sense of the cost/usage ratio.

Now that that has been covered and out of the way, let's push that aside and address where I am trying to say it makes its usefulness. Now please keep in mind that this is purely based on my personal playstyle and usages of scholar. I'll use the Uggalepih Pendant NM as my first example. You're kiting an NM with a godly amount of HP, that takes 2/3's magic dmg, and kited around in a big circle. It's completely an endurance fight if you're soloing/duoing/trioing it with mages. As a scholar, and due to the mp strain it puts on you to keep going nonstop, I "can" use sublimation as quickly as its recast allows me (yes using af hat not vermy in this instance), dump to my mp pool, aspir, and continue running in vermillion cloak in between recasts. Given the use of Parsimony, the demand for dumping a full load of sublimation into my mp pool that only lacks 100-150 mp at a given time, would be wasteful. Therefore I can get that mp back via V cloak until I'm ready to unload a bunch of spells at proper timing. Then I use sublimation, (again, remphasizing that I'm using af hat during sublimation use). Once it's capped, im back to using aspir/vermy for extra mp gain until my next big unload of dmg.


2nd Scenario: Sea

In sea, my LS tries to make the most use of our members, so much as to split into smaller groups to get 3-4 times more accomplished at a single given amount of time. Because of that, you're almost constantly on the run, spending mp, and getting it back. In that situation, you don't have time to pop a squat with stoneskin on and kickin it with sublimation going. You're trying to suck up as much mp as you can, anywhere you can get it to keep yourself going nonstop (and you can do it). With the usages of sublimation, vermillion cloak, aspir, and even gathering ghrahs or aerns that are relatively close to eachother and using the very scholar friendly Manifestation > Aspir, these tools can keep you near full the entire time while never having to stop.


So again, I'm not arguing the usage of vermillion cloak while sublimation is pulling hp. Im arguing other instances when sublimation is inactive, full, or inefficient at a given time, where vermillion cloak becomes yet another great tool and asset to keep a scholar (a job designed to be all about mp efficiency) as highly mp efficient as possible.

^.^

Edit: Grammar fixes



Edited, Apr 25th 2008 10:28am by xXxNaobixXx
____________________________
Naobi
Blm: 75, Sch: 75, Rdm: 75, Nin: 75, Smn: 72

Daggz:
Blm 75, Thf 75, War 74

Crafts
Bonecraft: 100 +6, Cooking: 60, Leathercraft: 60, Alchemy: 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing: 49

Missions
Bastok: Rank 10, Windurst: Rank 10, Sandoria: Rank 10
Zilart: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: 19
WotG: 3?
Server: Bahamut
#18 Apr 25 2008 at 9:20 AM Rating: Default
*
196 posts
this argument is so stupid.

AF hat - 1 more mp tic while sublimation is in effect, does nothing while sublimation is full and does nothing during the 30secs after sublimation is used

V. cloak - 1 more mp tic ALL THE TIME.

if you cant see that V. cloak is superior than naobi is right, you are trying to justify not spending the gil.

i had my V. cloak before sublimation came out, and i didnt sell it like a lot of schs did b/c most of the time sublimation is waiting to be used as a full charge. i.e. u dont activate sublimation until you drop below the mp it would recover. this does *not* mean you shouldnt rest if you have the opportunity just so you can use your fancy toy, this behavoir will have your pants down in a nasty situation.

for mp gain V. cloak is the best option, clearly. does that mean you have to farm hours on end to get it? no, you could get by being cheap but it *is* the best option.
#19 Apr 25 2008 at 1:50 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,918 posts
XIglooX wrote:
V. cloak - 1 more mp tic ALL THE TIME. when you arn't gear swapping to make your enfeebles/helices/nukes/drain/aspirs better.

if you cant see that V. cloak is superior than naobi is right, you are trying to justify not spending the gil and not swapping gear.




Fixed.
____________________________
Playing XIV and XI, Oh yeah.
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198103
Thris the WARRIOR.

Apessius wrote:
Apessius>> (Experience Points) is such a cockblocker.

Square Enix actually wrote:
Comfortable, fuss-free adventuring for all players is one of our biggest priorities.
#20 Apr 25 2008 at 4:47 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
29 posts
Quote:
this argument is so stupid.

AF hat - 1 more mp tic while sublimation is in effect, does nothing while sublimation is full and does nothing during the 30secs after sublimation is used

V. cloak - 1 more mp tic ALL THE TIME.

if you cant see that V. cloak is superior than naobi is right, you are trying to justify not spending the gil.

i had my V. cloak before sublimation came out, and i didnt sell it like a lot of schs did b/c most of the time sublimation is waiting to be used as a full charge. i.e. u dont activate sublimation until you drop below the mp it would recover. this does *not* mean you shouldnt rest if you have the opportunity just so you can use your fancy toy, this behavoir will have your pants down in a nasty situation.


I like it when someone like xXxNaobixXx puts up an argument that has some merit(It is useful for the refresh effect if your in between and sitting on sublimation a lot but your still too busy to rest that 200 mp your missing.) And then someone comes along and takes his argument, takes out anything meaningful and adds some disdain.

Quote:
for mp gain V. cloak is the best option, clearly. does that mean you have to farm hours on end to get it? no, you could get by being cheap but it *is* the best option.


What is this cheap way of obtaining a an item worth 700k?
#21 Apr 25 2008 at 9:27 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
971 posts
xXxNaobixXx wrote:
If you're going to get so involved about talking about how to use Sublimation correctly and talking about efficiency, then why not go all the way and see how even more efficient the cloak can be with it. Yes cloak while under sublimation blebleble putting words in your mouth blebleble etc...


Instead of writing a couple paragraphs saying why someone should spend 700k for an item that's situational at best, you could get some perspective on the actual question.

Quote:
is V cloak REALLY needed for sch?


The answer is "no". When Sublimation is in effect (I.E. the majority of the time), the AF hat has the exact same effect.

A VCloak for SCH is a novelty piece, no one's saying that it's not a helpful equip. If you already have the cloak from WHM, SMN, or w/e then great, but anyone who buys this just for SCH has too much gil lying around.

My statement stands true, a SCH spending 700k for a VCloak is a waste of gil if he's using Sublimation correctly.
____________________________
~~ Puppetmaster // Scholar // Thief // Dancer // Blue Mage // Corsair // Geomancer // Ninja // Ranger // Summoner ~~
#22 Apr 26 2008 at 1:27 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,918 posts
KodoReturns wrote:

Quote:
is V cloak REALLY needed for sch?


The answer is "no". When Sublimation is in effect (I.E. the majority of the time), the AF hat has the exact same effect.

A VCloak for SCH is a novelty piece, no one's saying that it's not a helpful equip. If you already have the cloak from WHM, SMN, or w/e then great, but anyone who buys this just for SCH has too much gil lying around.

My statement stands true, a SCH spending 700k for a VCloak is a waste of gil if he's using Sublimation correctly.




Win.
____________________________
Playing XIV and XI, Oh yeah.
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198103
Thris the WARRIOR.

Apessius wrote:
Apessius>> (Experience Points) is such a cockblocker.

Square Enix actually wrote:
Comfortable, fuss-free adventuring for all players is one of our biggest priorities.
#23 Apr 28 2008 at 11:06 AM Rating: Default
***
1,563 posts
Quote:
Instead of writing a couple paragraphs saying why someone should spend 700k for an item that's situational at best, you could get some perspective on the actual question.



For the 3rd time, my very first post to this subject was concise and straight to the point with the same answer your giving but with a bit of intelligence behind it.

Vermy isn't something that is rendered as "situational" gear. If it was something you'd only use at a kirin fight, or only use as at kiting, or only this or that, then situational comes into play. Good sch's will make much use of their vermy in every situation.

Adding "at best" to the end of your statements doesn't miraculously make you right or the statements fact. All it does is show desperation that your perspective on it will hopefully be the final deciding factor, which it won't.

Read first, Understand everything that's being discussed, then debate intellectually like an adult, not an immature condescending moron.

Kodoreturns wrote:
My statement stands true, a SCH spending 700k for a VCloak is a waste of gil in my opinion because I can't afford it and have a hard time understanding how to use Sublimation correctly and efficiently with other useful tools.


fixed

Edited, Apr 28th 2008 3:25pm by xXxNaobixXx
____________________________
Naobi
Blm: 75, Sch: 75, Rdm: 75, Nin: 75, Smn: 72

Daggz:
Blm 75, Thf 75, War 74

Crafts
Bonecraft: 100 +6, Cooking: 60, Leathercraft: 60, Alchemy: 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing: 49

Missions
Bastok: Rank 10, Windurst: Rank 10, Sandoria: Rank 10
Zilart: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: 19
WotG: 3?
Server: Bahamut
#24 Apr 28 2008 at 6:56 PM Rating: Default
*
177 posts
Quote:
Read first, Understand everything that's being discussed, then debate intellectually like an adult, not an immature condescending moron


Naobi should follow his own advice and quit arguing over irrelevant semantics like a little kid, making editted quotes out of childish rage. The answer to the OP's question is no, you don't need a vermillion cloak, but it's nice to have anyway. You aren't gonna be kicked from any LS or party because you don't have one. Nobody but Naobi will even care.
____________________________
People don't accept the truth if it's typed in a tone unsympathetic to them. It doesn't make something any less true if someone you don't like is the one to enlighten you.
#25 Apr 28 2008 at 7:14 PM Rating: Decent
*
177 posts
Double post.

Edited, Apr 28th 2008 11:25pm by ihatetaru
#26 Apr 29 2008 at 1:15 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,519 posts
xXxNaobixXx wrote:
Vermy isn't something that is rendered as "situational" gear. If it was something you'd only use at a kirin fight, or only use as at kiting, or only this or that, then situational comes into play. Good sch's will make much use of their vermy in every situation.


Yes, it is. Gear that isn't situational is something you would wear full-time. If you're wearing a Vermillion Cloak full-time, you're not doing it right. Since you're an advocate of "understanding how to use Sublimation" I'm going to assume that you're not. Oh look, it's situational!

And yes, I know you don't mean you would wear it full-time. You logic is that "if I'm nuking, I can macro it in between nukes" and "if I'm healing, etc." The thing is, that's still situational use. That doesn't make it necessary to have.

xXxNaobixXx wrote:
Read first, Understand everything that's being discussed, then debate intellectually like an adult, not an immature condescending moron.
Because when adults debate intellectually, they have to insult the other party!

xXxNaobixXx wrote:
Kodoreturns wrote:
My statement stands true, a SCH spending 700k for a VCloak is a waste of gil in my opinion because I can't afford it and have a hard time understanding how to use Sublimation correctly and efficiently with other useful tools.
fixed
Nice try. A Vermillion Cloak is not required. It's that simple. It has nothing to do with not being able to afford it or not understanding Sublimation. There are times when a Vermillion Cloak is nice to have, no doubt. It is not, however, a necessary piece for any Scholar.

Edited, Apr 29th 2008 2:25am by Tidane
#27 Apr 29 2008 at 6:40 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,563 posts
Quote:
Gear that isn't situational is something you would wear full-time.


If that's what you personally consider situational, then yes, it's situational gear. But in that context, that would mean that every single piece of gear is situational, as almost nothing that mages wear should be "full-time" use.

Quote:
Nobody but Naobi will even care.


yeah... that's mature and appropriate. I could give 2 ***** or a f@ck what any other scholar wears. There's ppl here that try to read posts to learn how to become better at their job. There's others here that do nothing more than lurk to tear ppls posts apart to try to make them wrong. There's others that post for no other reason than to get a rise out of others and **** em off. Only thing I'm trying to do is help sch's that want to be more than just an average sch. Nothing more nothing less. The childish squabbling doesn't interest me, so just drop it. Macroing in "situational" pieces of gear to get even the most minor use of them will improve your over-all job and play when all coupled together. That is the one and only thing I'm advocating. Nothing more, nothing less. If ppl don't care to take it that far, then that's their decision. It doesn't make them any better or worse of a player, it's merely their preference of play.

Quote:
It is not, however, a necessary piece for any Scholar.



Which is exactly what I said in my very first, 2nd, 3rd, and last post. It's amazing what it takes to get through to ppl on forums and how much they try to pick every little thing apart that they can to turn it around. To each his own I guess, I'll just leave it at that.





Edited, Apr 29th 2008 10:30am by xXxNaobixXx
____________________________
Naobi
Blm: 75, Sch: 75, Rdm: 75, Nin: 75, Smn: 72

Daggz:
Blm 75, Thf 75, War 74

Crafts
Bonecraft: 100 +6, Cooking: 60, Leathercraft: 60, Alchemy: 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing: 49

Missions
Bastok: Rank 10, Windurst: Rank 10, Sandoria: Rank 10
Zilart: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: 19
WotG: 3?
Server: Bahamut
#28 Apr 29 2008 at 12:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,519 posts
xXxNaobixXx wrote:
If that's what you personally consider situational, then yes, it's situational gear. But in that context, that would mean that every single piece of gear is situational, as almost nothing that mages wear should be "full-time" use.


That's not what I consider situational, that's what situational is. You are correct, there are very few pieces of gear that aren't situational in Final Fantasy. See: ******** about inventory space.

xXxNaobixXx wrote:
Which is exactly what I said in my very first, 2nd, 3rd, and last post. It's amazing what it takes to get through to ppl on forums and how much they try to pick every little thing apart that they can to turn it around. To each his own I guess, I'll just leave it at that.


No, it isn't. You said "find any means possible to get it" and then you went on to say it that a Scholar doesn't "need" it (hi to you quoting a single word). Then you changed what someone said, implying that they can't afford it or don't understand how to use Sublimation and that is the reason they don't have one. No one is picking little things apart to turn it around. I took what you typed and disagreed with it.

Saying "find any means possible to get it" implies that this is a piece of equipment that is necessary to player Scholar. If we were on the Warrior forums talking about a Haubergeon, I would agree with you. That is a piece of equipment you should have. A Vermillion Cloak is something that's nice if you have it, but isn't necessary for a Scholar and does not warrant saying any means possible.
#29 Apr 30 2008 at 6:01 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,563 posts
Quote:
You said "find any means possible to get it"


Again, you're taking what i said, out of its context, isolating it, to make it look wrong. What i DID say, however, is:

" once you start using scholar in events/solo/duoing on endgame things and NM's, yes, vermy is extremely useful and any scholar wanting to venture into that territory should find any means possible to get one."


And again:
Quote:
Scholar doesn't "need" it (hi to you quoting a single word).


Yes just like you don't NEED to have a car, but it's extremely useful.

Quote:
Saying "find any means possible to get it" implies that this is a piece of equipment that is necessary to player Scholar.


Which is exactly NOT what I said, nor implied. No piece of gear in the game is "necessary" there is and will always be other gear that can be used in place of that may not be as good but still suitable. What I implied is that it will help push a players effeciency over the edge of average, just as your hauby analogy would. Nor is that piece of gear necessary either, my war is 75 and I rarely use the hauby. Could I be more a more efficient war if i used it? yes, undeniabley, do I "NEED" it, nope.

Quote:
A Vermillion Cloak is something that's nice if you have it, but isn't necessary for a Scholar


And never once did I disagree with it. But it will help, it will be more efficient, and when sch's and players of any job, do all the small things that add efficiency, it all adds up and they become an extremely efficient and great player of their job. That simply all I was getting at before the symantecs started.
____________________________
Naobi
Blm: 75, Sch: 75, Rdm: 75, Nin: 75, Smn: 72

Daggz:
Blm 75, Thf 75, War 74

Crafts
Bonecraft: 100 +6, Cooking: 60, Leathercraft: 60, Alchemy: 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing: 49

Missions
Bastok: Rank 10, Windurst: Rank 10, Sandoria: Rank 10
Zilart: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: 19
WotG: 3?
Server: Bahamut
#30 May 04 2008 at 10:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
971 posts
xXxNaobixXx wrote:
Read first, Understand everything that's being discussed, then debate intellectually like an adult, not an immature condescending moron.


lolhypocrite...

If you want to preach about having an adult conversation, then try doing so without resorting to childish name-calling.

xXxNaobixXx wrote:
Kodoreturns wrote:
My statement stands true, a SCH spending 700k for a VCloak is a waste of gil in my opinion because I can't afford it and have a hard time understanding how to use Sublimation correctly and efficiently with other useful tools.


fixed


If you had paid the slightest attention to my post, instead of just thinking "OMFGZ I'M INSULTED! I HAVE TO INSULT HIM BACK" you would realize that I'm not disagreeing with you. I even said in my post that it's nice to have, but if you spend 700-800k for it just for SCH, then you're a **** fool. If you want to chalk that up to me being cheap or not being able to afford it, then good for you, justify it however you like, either way I'm playing SCH just as well as you, and I'm 800k richer.

Bottom line is, you're still not reading the question. You're overcomplicating the subject and obscuring the points to make yourself sound less wrong, because you realized that your first post was waaaay off....

xXxNaobixXx wrote:
Vermy isn't something that is rendered as "situational" gear. If it was something you'd only use at a kirin fight, or only use as at kiting, or only this or that, then situational comes into play. Good sch's will make much use of their vermy in every situation.


"Not situational"? are you seriously typing that with a straight face?

"every situation" denotes that good SCHs will macro in VCloak for that 30 seconds between Sublimation recasts, and whenever you have a full MP store, but have used less than that amount of MP... By that logic you should also be macroing in Haste gear for your spells, asking the RDM to keep you refreshed for the 30 seconds between Sublimation, and swapping in evasion/damage reduction gear every time you pull hate.

Unless you're using the gear every time you switch to the job, then yes it's siutational. No SCH needs to be constantly switching VCloak in for any reason at any event. If you're not stupid, the difference that VCloak makes is minimal at best (I added "at best", that makes the statement more important). Trying to argue that anyone should feel any need to buy a Vermillion Cloak primarily for SCH is ridiculous.
____________________________
~~ Puppetmaster // Scholar // Thief // Dancer // Blue Mage // Corsair // Geomancer // Ninja // Ranger // Summoner ~~
#31 May 05 2008 at 10:38 PM Rating: Decent
*
196 posts
im going to start a thread exploring the validity of HQ staves for sch because its my only mage job and i dont nuke that much
#32 May 14 2008 at 10:12 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,976 posts
Quote:
Yes just like you don't NEED to have a car, but it's extremely useful.

I honestly couldn't consider 1mp every seconds something which is "extremely" useful to a job which has their own means of self-regen. Its very much like a RDM equipping it. They have their own Refresh and therefore have no real need for Vermy save for those brief moments they're idle. A scholar with Sublimation is no different.

With all the macro swaps you won't be using Vermy every waking second of your playtime, and if you do then you're not going to be as energy efficient, meaning more MP spent doing the same job anyway.

So, yes Vermy is handy to have in your inventory, but its going to gather a lot of dust as there are only a few rare moments you would actually advocate using it over your other equipment.
____________________________
R.I.P. Crystan FFXI
75WHM 75SCH 75RDM 75SMN
#33 May 15 2008 at 3:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,918 posts
XIglooX wrote:
im going to start a thread exploring the validity of HQ staves for sch because its my only mage job and i dont nuke that much



Already did that.
____________________________
Playing XIV and XI, Oh yeah.
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?198103
Thris the WARRIOR.

Apessius wrote:
Apessius>> (Experience Points) is such a cockblocker.

Square Enix actually wrote:
Comfortable, fuss-free adventuring for all players is one of our biggest priorities.
#34 Jun 04 2008 at 12:33 PM Rating: Decent
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Avatar
******
29,185 posts
kinda hate to bump a month old thread, but i'm kinda sick of all these mages that are just too **** lazy to hit a macro it was on the first page.

KodoReturns wrote:
By that logic you should also be ... swapping in evasion/damage reduction gear every time you pull hate.


yes, you should. it takes one button press (0 for windower users...) to change 150 dmg a hit into 80~100 or even less. you can't even argue that the cost:benefit isn't worth it.

how much does an earth staff cost? you should have one anyway, so that's nothing. jelly ring? takes maybe a few hours, that you can spend afk for 50/60 minutes per hour, coming back for 1-2 mins to kill a ph. cheviot cape? this one could be a bit of an issue. even though it's fairly cheap (100k~150k or less on most servers), they arn't sold very often.

so, that alone is -25% pdmg even without the cape. with it, it's 30/35%. if taking 1/3 less dmg isn't worth a single press of a macro, 100k, and a few (mostly afk) hours of your time, then idk what is.
____________________________
BANNED

Creator and Leader of the Anti-Rog faction
#35 Jun 04 2008 at 7:26 PM Rating: Good
*
103 posts
Honestly I agree that Vermy is really good for scholar. I've had it since 59 and I don't see any better alternative. I work it into my Light Arts macro because there is no better gear to support you when you're playing a support class. Should I find the need to switch into dark arts, I macro my AF hat and robe but lately as I've been coming to exp on imps and colibri, my black magic is less and less needed than it was in my late 40s and early 50s.

I can see that the AF hat is a viable alternative to solo'ers, who will be in black arts more often, but when you're light arts, with ballad/evoker's roll and sitting on a 50-75% full MP tank, with a full stratagem charge, nothing is better than the vermy to ensure that you have the means necessary to deal with links, dropping multiple cures, and using MP-expensive AoE stratagems without needing to rely on the 1/2 MP stratagem to go in tandem.

In all fairness - vermy is NOT a godly piece or something that is essential, but besides a full yigit set, it is the best option that scholars have available, and I can't see any better alternatives (i.e. a head/body combo that will out-do a constant 20 mp/minute) for the 60-early 70's stretch, and I have certainly tried to find them.

Edited, Jun 4th 2008 11:30pm by KarusTheGreat
#36 Jun 05 2008 at 9:59 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
124 posts
its really not a complicated thing. If your going to be doing anything where your going to be kiting stuff, or running around a lot (think sky, sea, dynamis, salvage etc). Then yes you want one. (its especially nice in salvage as your not guaranteed head or hp for subbi).

Like people have said, it takes one macro to get into standing gear (ie deserts/heralds, vermy, terra, jelly, cheviot, garden bangles) and viola your running between mobs or kitting mobs, with refresh and either -35% damage or -30% and regen.

For those of you who havent, id highly recommend reading
http://kanican.livejournal.com/28945.html
and
http://kanican.livejournal.com/6314.html

(as far as main healing goes, i personally dont outside of salvage, but i currently prefer going with wala turban and errant body (golli body as soon as i get it), but then again mp is never a real issue in salvage for me).

Edited, Jun 5th 2008 2:02pm by daiiawn
#37 Jun 06 2008 at 7:50 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,181 posts
An alternate method to charging a full sub then using a vermy when not at max MP recovered is to try to always ensure you are below that 250-270MP cap, which is far more efficient than the first situation:

Situation One - - - - - - - - - - - - Potential MP Lost/Gained (Base 3)
Charge sub with head or vermy (0mp/tick)
Sub is full, swap to vermy (-2mp/tick)
Utilize x seconds later. (+250MP)
Wait 25 secs on recast with vermy (-2mp/tick)
Charge sub with head or vermy (loop)

Situation Two
Charge sub with head or vermy (0mp/tick)
Sub is full, use immediately (+250MP)
Wait 25s for recast (-2mp/tick)
Charge sub with head or vermy (loop)

In Situation 1, you are losing a potential 2mp for every 3 seconds you wait for you to use your MP from the moment sub is full to the moment you drop below your own personal Sub Threshold over Situation 2.

Whilst you have to appreciate that it is often hard to always be below the Sub Threshold, especially for solo situations, you can tweak values slightly based on your role as nuker (e.g. Using Ebullience over Parsimony to drop below the Sub Threshold) or healer.
____________________________
Kegsay - 85SMN/85BLU/85SCH
Goldsmithing-60, Cooking-61, Synergy-60
Shaded Specs Obtained 20 June 2005

http://kegsay.livejournal.com/
#38 Jun 06 2008 at 7:20 PM Rating: Decent
One flew over the cuckoo's nest
Avatar
******
29,185 posts
btw, correct me if i'm wrong, but using vermy over af head gives you the same mp/tic, but sublim takes longer to cap, which means you spend less time in that 30 secs waiting on recast, and more time charging it.

i shoulda made a new topic to respond to that about the def gear, instead of bumping this, sorry.
____________________________
BANNED

Creator and Leader of the Anti-Rog faction
#39 Jun 10 2008 at 2:50 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
202 posts
Quote:
Ixion Cloak
DEF: 43 INT+13 MND+13 CHR+13
Magic Accuracy +5
Adds "Regen" and "Refresh" effect
WHM, BLM, RDM, BRD, SMN, BLU, PUP, SCH
Lv 74. Rare


exit V-Cloak
enter iCloak
____________________________
________________________

75 Juggalo / 37 Scrub

Leather Vest: O
Valkurm Dunes: O
Chocobo License: O
Neden Pie: O
Wax Sword: O

#40 Jun 10 2008 at 8:55 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,563 posts
SE read all the useless stupid squabbling here and gave us:

"STFU already, here... we'll give you ixion cloak"
____________________________
Naobi
Blm: 75, Sch: 75, Rdm: 75, Nin: 75, Smn: 72

Daggz:
Blm 75, Thf 75, War 74

Crafts
Bonecraft: 100 +6, Cooking: 60, Leathercraft: 60, Alchemy: 60, Clothcraft 55, Goldsmithing: 49

Missions
Bastok: Rank 10, Windurst: Rank 10, Sandoria: Rank 10
Zilart: Complete
CoP: Complete
ToAU: 19
WotG: 3?
Server: Bahamut
#41 Jun 10 2008 at 9:41 AM Rating: Decent
*
113 posts
CRAP! APPLE came out with a cloak now too!?!?! gotta get rid of my old cloak and get the shiny new i-cloak i wonder if it plays mp4s gotta have *** kicking music when your kicking ***


lol couldn't resist
____________________________
[ffxisig]92577[/ffxisig]
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 12 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (12)