Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

RDM - The ultimate brew job?Follow

#1 Mar 29 2011 at 1:38 AM Rating: Default
*
208 posts
I dont know, I'm waiting on my first Shinryu win before I try it, but my sense is that Chainspell makes us king. WTB brewing tips/set ups/discussion since I can almost get my hands on 200k brews.

Edited, Mar 29th 2011 3:49am by K1n371x
____________________________
90RDM 90BLM
#2 Mar 29 2011 at 9:31 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,547 posts
I'd probably lean toward a Wildfire COR as best. Properly geared/atma'd, they can literally break the damage cap for the chat log. Not sure if any other job is capable of that at the moment.

Anyway, how you brew your RDM would probably be a toss-up between AE and CS Blizz 4. Latter might do more, but you're obviously restricted to having CS up.

As for gear, both would basically be INT and MATK for both. For AE, you'd want to main-hand a Martial Knife while using Gales, Smiting Blow, and the third Minikin. Blizz you'll want the magian staff, Beyond, Minikin, and then a third good nuking atma like Ultimate, or in this case, maybe Undying for more Ice+.

Easily accessible gear would probably be Witchstone, AF3 head, feud pendant, moldy, INT earring, Augur body (teal if not), Eradico mitts, INT rings, potentia cape, AF3 legs, then whatever INT/MATK feet you can get your hands on. You can do better with +2 things, the earring from Rani, and so on, but most of that isn't too hard to get.

Edited, Mar 29th 2011 11:46am by Seriha
#3 Mar 29 2011 at 10:14 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
Having recently brewed seven mothra's in a row on BLU/NIN using S.blade I can safely say it'll crush CS anything or AE spam. BLU/NIN MAB 1 trait Cosmos + Ultima + MM with my sang blade gear I was able to get 35K s.blades. A RDM/BLU could probably get 40K or higher. Mothra was dead in two WS's, 10s or less. We made sure there was a chest nearby so i could lock my brew timer while the group waited to pop another one. Managed to pull off 7 before we ran out of pops, brew wore off on the last one anyway, I had to spend a few seconds after each one loting the coins and passing other stuff. If I didn't have to worry about lot / pass on drops then I could of probably got another two to three more in before it finally wore. S.blade gets four times the INT bonus that AE does, along with MND and STR mods, three different stats to pump to 999 with the MAB effects and cosmos's +damage ontop.
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the @#%^ out of the way instead...
#4 Mar 29 2011 at 11:01 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,547 posts
True, SB would be better. Tends to stay off my radar since it's sub-specific. Keeping AE as an option for dark resist mobs isn't a bad idea, though.
#5 Mar 29 2011 at 12:53 PM Rating: Default
*
208 posts
lol COR... wait WHAT?

So INT is NOT capped with a brew?

I havent even thought about Sanguine Blade until now. Brew has 50tp per tic Regain right? So that's one Sanguine Blade every 6 seconds, or ~4 spells with Chainspell. Looks like Sanguine Blade spam is better after chainspell wears off, and about equal while it's on?
____________________________
90RDM 90BLM
#6 Mar 29 2011 at 2:43 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,547 posts
Since you still have to wait on spells during CS, I'd put more like 2 spells to 1 WS.

And yes, I'm not kidding about COR. The damage they can do exceeds 60k per WF if they're geared and atma'd right. It's a sickeningly strong magic WS even without brew.

Edited, Mar 29th 2011 4:44pm by Seriha
#7 Mar 29 2011 at 4:44 PM Rating: Default
*
208 posts
Just got my first 200k brew. I think I'll try Rani.

Im not sure about using Minikin. I think INT is capped with brew isnt it?

Edited, Mar 30th 2011 12:01am by K1n371x
____________________________
90RDM 90BLM
#8 Mar 30 2011 at 8:39 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
Brew just gives you +INT equal to whatever is required to get +999. If your naked then drink a brew you get +999, you put on gear and you can go over that.

Anyhow the reason I used MM atma was so that I could actually do something, honestly would of probably been better to use a MAB atma, but I think the same thing happens with those as does INT. Needs more research to figure out.
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the @#%^ out of the way instead...
#9 Mar 30 2011 at 1:44 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,759 posts
Chainspell brewing, while awesome, has it's disadvantages. With the plethora of mobs that SE has given damage absorption to in Abyssea, you often times end up curing the mob with instant nukes.

And to expand on the COR brewing thing, I'm a COR with Wildfire myself, and I can attest that there's no job that can compare. A magical WS with 60% modifier is just plain broken, plus a COR with AF3+2 feet can boost it another 20%. My Wildfire record is 78k damage on a NM. Hell, I once accidentally cured Pantokrator for 102k. At least, I think it was 102k; the log only showed 2k.

Edited, Mar 30th 2011 4:27pm by Chewzer
____________________________
Fynlar wrote:
Chew is being a lot more level-headed regarding the whole issue, which is strange because he's probably drunk.
#10 Mar 30 2011 at 9:10 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
COR is without a doubt the king of the brew. As for RDM id say it is a toss up between SB and AE for most consistent damage via a brew, with chainspell being the best maximum burst damage when it is available and mob appropriate (ie. wont be healed by Blizz 4 spam). That being said I think the argument itself is pretty silly as Brews break most if not all jobs.

____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#11ShadowedgeFFXI, Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 10:15 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I haven't used/watched a brew solo yet so can you explain how COR would be the king of brew. Speaking as a Cor, you only get a few quickdraw shots in those 3 minutes. Are you seriously suggesting that each Quickdraw shot does like 50k damage? Because if you're not suggesting that, I'm confused and need some help to understand this. I don't count relic WS's either.
#12 Apr 01 2011 at 11:04 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,414 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
After thinking about it awhile, I think COR would be one of the worst brew jobs. NIN which is typically usually a terrible zerg job should actually beat out most jobs spamming San nukes and WSing the rest of the time. I'd bet Sange would be very useful if a NIN had one available too. PLD, BRD, PUP, BST(brew doesn't help pet) are just a few of the jobs that shouldn't fair well on a brew.


The reason COR is king is that you get 50TP/tick from Brew, so you can literally spam WSes until it wears off. Also, magic WS don't suffer from an fSTR cap like physical WS do, so SAM is out (Brewed Jinpu is decent, but not incredible). BLU certainly does put up a fight (a properly Atma'd BLU with Brew could probably 2-shot an entire zone worth of NMs with Charged Whisker > Thermal Pulse), but it can't spam spells like COR can spam WS. BST is surprisingly better than you'd think, due to Primal Rend being magical. BRD has Aeolian Edge, PLD has Sanguine Blade, so both are acceptable but not amazing.

Bear in mind, even if you don't have Wildfire, Leaden Salute will still rock just about any mob's socks under Brew, since it's a half-decent WS on its own and is magical.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#13 Apr 01 2011 at 11:16 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,770 posts
Aliekber wrote:

The reason COR is king is that you get 50TP/tick from Brew, so you can literally spam WSes until it wears off. Also, magic WS don't suffer from an fSTR cap like physical WS do, so SAM is out (Brewed Jinpu is decent, but not incredible). BLU certainly does put up a fight (a properly Atma'd BLU with Brew could probably 2-shot an entire zone worth of NMs with Charged Whisker > Thermal Pulse), but it can't spam spells like COR can spam WS. BST is surprisingly better than you'd think, due to Primal Rend being magical. BRD has Aeolian Edge, PLD has Sanguine Blade, so both are acceptable but not amazing.

Bear in mind, even if you don't have Wildfire, Leaden Salute will still rock just about any mob's socks under Brew, since it's a half-decent WS on its own and is magical.


I guess my next question should be are not all magical weapon skills created equal during a brew fight?
RNG has a magical WS too, Trueflight I think. Couldn't a BLU just spam Sanguine blade rotating with their spells? If you get 50tp regain a tic, I think that BLU should easily win by casting a spell during the downed tic. That is unless Leaden Salute is so much better, can you confirm this?

I love my BST, but again I have to ask how much damage would Rend crank out per WS? If COR's Leaden is so over-powered, let me know. Otherwise, this doesn't make any sense to me. Other jobs have magical WSs, and BLU has spells too. Do you happen to know how San nukes do in a brew fight? I sense this brew thing isn't 100% balanced. I can see why SE is talking making adjustments.
#14 Apr 01 2011 at 11:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,414 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I guess my next question should be are not all magical weapon skills created equal during a brew fight?
RNG has a magical WS too, Trueflight I think. Couldn't a BLU just spam Sanguine blade rotating with their spells? If you get 50tp regain a tic, I think that BLU should easily win by casting a spell during the downed tic. That is unless Leaden Salute is so much better, can you confirm this?


They're not really created equal. % mods on WSes still matter (60% of 999 AGI[Wildfire] is much better than 30% of 999 AGI[Leaden Salute/Trueflight]), fTP still matters, MAB still matters, Element matters (due to Atma boosts, which I will cover in the next paragraph). Trueflight and Leaden Salute are incredibly similar, but COR gets better MAB gear (not to mention Wizard's Roll) than RNG does, on top of COR being useful in the rest of the evening's events (and remember due to TEs/Lights, switching jobs more often than is necessary is discouraged), whereas RNG is not much more than a lackluster DD otherwise.

Also bear in mind that the e-peen numbers come from a combination of Brew + Elemental Attack Atma. In order to get 60k Charged Whiskers, you need to have Lion/Blinding Horn set, whereas pimping Sanguine Blade (only 2.5 fTP at 100%TP compared to Wildfire's 5.5 fTP) will usually consist of Hell's Guardian/Ultimate/Cosmos. Leaden Salute is Dark, so setting Cosmos by itself boosts its damage by 40%. In order to get the same boost on Trueflight, you need to set Beyond + Sellsword, taking up two Atma slots instead of just one.

ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I love my BST, but again I have to ask how much damage would Rend crank out per WS? If COR's Leaden is so over-powered, let me know. Otherwise, this doesn't make any sense to me. Other jobs have magical WSs, and BLU has spells too. Do you happen to know how San nukes do in a brew fight? I sense this brew thing isn't 100% balanced. I can see why SE is talking making adjustments.


I couldn't say on the BST damage, because I've never seen a BST brew, but based on the mods, I'd guess it would do about as well as a RNG spamming Trueflight. I've brewed on NIN before (Shinryu), but I didn't try any San nukes due to not wanting to accidentally heal him (it's much easier to avoid with instant-use abilities like WS than with spells, which have a casting time).

Mainly it's due to Wildfire. I'm guessing since you're fairly new to Abyssea stuff, you've put Empyrean Weapons on the same "never gonna get one" shelf as Relic/Mythic, but they really are much more obtainable (particularly any that are Carabosse/Cirein-Croin, like Gun is) than their old-endgame counterparts, not to mention the WoE weapons that will become even more obtainable post-update (supposedly), which still give you the WS, just without Aftermath.

Edited, Apr 1st 2011 11:55am by Aliekber
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#15 Apr 01 2011 at 1:58 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,770 posts
Aliekber wrote:

Mainly it's due to Wildfire. I'm guessing since you're fairly new to Abyssea stuff, you've put Empyrean Weapons on the same "never gonna get one" shelf as Relic/Mythic, but they really are much more obtainable (particularly any that are Carabosse/Cirein-Croin, like Gun is) than their old-endgame counterparts, not to mention the WoE weapons that will become even more obtainable post-update (supposedly), which still give you the WS, just without Aftermath.

Edited, Apr 1st 2011 11:55am by Aliekber


I left the game the day Heroes came out. I still don't own a single Atma because I've been doing other things since coming back. My first time in Abyssea Grauberg was last night. I only stayed a short time, collected a few teleports, and did some dom ops with friends. I'm very behind the curve so any info you could share would be very helpful. I've read Wiki, but it's confusing for the most part. I heard I should try to get an Atma for my missions completed. That's the extent of what I know about Abyssea post-Heroes launch. I'm probably going to build an Empyrean for my NIN and BLU mostly because I always wanted the relic/or mythic before and that wasn't realistic.
#16 Apr 01 2011 at 2:40 PM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,547 posts
What, exactly, is confusing you about Abyssea?
#17 Apr 01 2011 at 3:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,759 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I haven't used/watched a brew solo yet so can you explain how COR would be the king of brew. Speaking as a Cor, you only get a few quickdraw shots in those 3 minutes. Are you seriously suggesting that each Quickdraw shot does like 50k damage? Because if you're not suggesting that, I'm confused and need some help to understand this. I don't count relic WS's either.
Obviously you didn't bother reading my post:
chewzer wrote:
And to expand on the COR brewing thing, I'm a COR with Wildfire myself, and I can attest that there's no job that can compare. A magical WS with 60% modifier is just plain broken, plus a COR with AF3+2 feet can boost it another 20%. My Wildfire record is 78k damage on a NM. Hell, I once accidentally cured Pantokrator for 102k. At least, I think it was 102k; the log only showed 2k.
____________________________
Fynlar wrote:
Chew is being a lot more level-headed regarding the whole issue, which is strange because he's probably drunk.
#18 Apr 01 2011 at 3:40 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,759 posts
Aliekber wrote:
COR gets better MAB gear (not to mention Wizard's Roll) than RNG does
Sorry to nitpick, but RNG has access to the same MAB gear as COR. I'm fairly sure that RNG even has access to more AGI. The only reason COR can make better use of Wildfire is because of AF3+2 feet for the 20% damage boost.

Edited, Apr 1st 2011 4:44pm by Chewzer
____________________________
Fynlar wrote:
Chew is being a lot more level-headed regarding the whole issue, which is strange because he's probably drunk.
#19 Apr 01 2011 at 3:49 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,414 posts
chewzer wrote:
Sorry to nitpick, but RNG has access to the same MAB gear as COR. I'm fairly sure that RNG even has access to more AGI. The only reason COR can make better use of Wildfire is because of AF3+2 feet for the 20% damage boost.


Does it? I could have sworn there was some COR accessory that gave gobs of MAB, but...if you say so. Not like I'm an expert on COR (although it does look like a fun job that I may eventually get around to leveling), anyway.

At the very least, COR gets Wizard's Roll. That counts for something, doesn't it?
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#20 Apr 01 2011 at 4:13 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,759 posts
Aliekber wrote:
chewzer wrote:
Sorry to nitpick, but RNG has access to the same MAB gear as COR. I'm fairly sure that RNG even has access to more AGI. The only reason COR can make better use of Wildfire is because of AF3+2 feet for the 20% damage boost.
Does it? I could have sworn there was some COR accessory that gave gobs of MAB, but...if you say so. Not like I'm an expert on COR (although it does look like a fun job that I may eventually get around to leveling), anyway.

At the very least, COR gets Wizard's Roll. That counts for something, doesn't it?
Well, technically COR has access to a couple of pieces of MAB gear that RNG doesn't, but those pieces are outclassed by pieces that both RNG and COR can wear. The piece of COR gear that you're probably thinking of is AF head. It doesn't give MAB, but it gives a boost to your gun's base damage during Quick Draw.

Edited, Apr 1st 2011 5:14pm by Chewzer
____________________________
Fynlar wrote:
Chew is being a lot more level-headed regarding the whole issue, which is strange because he's probably drunk.
#21 Apr 01 2011 at 10:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,770 posts
Seriha wrote:
What, exactly, is confusing you about Abyssea?


I'm up to speed now thanks. I just haven't done anything yet worthy of mention. I plan to join this group on Tue for a full clear on one of the zones. Because of my busy schedule, I haven't been able to do anything yet.

Quote:
Obviously you didn't bother reading my post:


Sorry I missed it somehow.
#22 Apr 02 2011 at 8:03 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,141 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
I haven't used/watched a brew solo yet so can you explain how COR would be the king of brew.


Because COR can do this.
____________________________
.
#23 Apr 02 2011 at 8:55 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,770 posts
jtftaru wrote:

Because COR can do this.


WOW... that was quick. It took longer to buff for the pending fight than to fight the real battle itself. I guess I'm going to have to bring out my retired lv81 COR now just to try that once.
#24 Apr 05 2011 at 10:37 AM Rating: Good
***
2,890 posts
Ok need to stop the nonsense. A BLU wouldn't be doing charged whisker or ~ANY~ spells, the casting times are too long. Instead you'd be spamming WS either Sang Blade or Flash Nova (if target immune to dark damage). Not all magic WS's are created equal, especially with how they treat fINT and WSC's. Sang Blade has three stats that boost damage, 50% MND, 30% STR and roughly 2x fINT bonus without a cap. Anything gained from equipment would be nearly unnoticeable once a brew is activated because +20 is next to nothing when your looking at 999. This also applies to COR, you should be spamming Leaden Salute at point blank range. Chainspelling on RDM is a bad idea, instead use a sub that gives you S.blade and spam it, 35~45K every few seconds will beat out anything chainspell can do. You can even gather multiple NM's into the same area and spam A.Edge for 20~25K a pop.

There is no "best at brewing" job, all jobs can brew equally because you can kill any NM in 10s or less no matter the job. A BST can spam primal rend, a SMN can use cataclysm or garland of bliss, BRD can do a.edge or sang blade, a NIN has Yu. Many magic based WS that we think are weak sauce get supercharged during a brew due to how MAB / fINT work combined with the +damage atmas. And seriously why are we discussing this topic when any semi competent player with access to a magic WS can brew something dead in seconds while being naked and no subjob. There is no min/maxing required and only elemental atma's will make much of a difference.
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the @#%^ out of the way instead...
#25 Apr 05 2011 at 10:46 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
ShadowedgeFFXI wrote:
jtftaru wrote:

Because COR can do this.


WOW... that was quick. It took longer to buff for the pending fight than to fight the real battle itself. I guess I'm going to have to bring out my retired lv81 COR now just to try that once.


The buffing would have almost zero effect. I've walked up to Shinryu on WAR and did that with Herc Slash without any buffs, just atma of the beyond + one other +ICE DMG atma and Ultimate. Also wildfire is a Empyrean WS, and while not being nearly as difficult to obtain as Relic / Mythics its not exactly a walk in the park. Requires a bunch of items that drop from spawned NM's, that itself wouldn't be an issue except one of the KI's needed to spawn the NM comes from a timed spawn NM that is often heavily camped. Gukumet and his ilk. Not to mention the other four players in your group also want their Empyrean's and may be in direct competition with you for the same drop. 50 Sobek skins for the Katana (NIN) and the Sword (RDM / PLD / BLU), average drop is like 1.7 (1 is guaranteed but can drop 2).

Any job can be OMFG uber awesome with a brew on, its literally the "I Win" button. If your smart you can lock the timer on your brew by going into a chest menu and nobody doing any action on you until the next NM is poped. We frequently spam zone boss's for their Emp Weapon drops using this tactic.
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the @#%^ out of the way instead...
#26 Apr 05 2011 at 12:43 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,414 posts
What's this about stopping the nonsense? I already laid out the reasons why spamming a WS is better than casting spells (no recast, there is a single best Atma setup per WS so you don't have to use general MAB atma when an Elemental Attack one is available, no delay to screw you on mobs that heal from elemental damage during TP moves).

Certain jobs do better than others, and the difference does matter. 1-shotting a mob is better than 3-shotting it if you're using a Magian Log/Conflux/Martello to abuse your timer and kill batches of mobs, since you'll spend less time out-of-menu.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#27 Apr 05 2011 at 6:39 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
The nonsense is the chainspelling idea above. Also this weird idea of one job being *better* then another at brewing, seriously when you have +999 to all stats and are nigh invincible what difference does it make. Its like SE made your epeens so big you had to go out and built a bigger ruller, but measure it you will. And one or three WS's to kill shinrinyu doesn't matter when he's dead in less then 10s, they took longer waiting then actualy fighting. In actual zone-nm spamming no NM will lives past the fourth WS, usually not past the second one. In all cases its dead within seconds and the only "waiting" you have is based on your weapon delay when you exit the box menu. Yes the actual waiting to engage timer till hurt your brew more then the WS's will. Really SE created an "I Win" button for everyone to use and its so ridiculously awesome that there shouldn't be any of this silly nonsense of who's d!ck is bigger. Just goes to prove that no matter what you do, players will find a way to measure and compare their epeen sizes and compare them to each other. Really argueing about who's the best brew job is about as effective and resonable as argueing the best "XP" party setup for Abyssea.
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the @#%^ out of the way instead...
#28 Apr 05 2011 at 7:09 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,414 posts
saevellakshmi wrote:
Really SE created an "I Win" button for everyone to use and its so ridiculously awesome that there shouldn't be any of this silly nonsense of who's d!ck is bigger. Just goes to prove that no matter what you do, players will find a way to measure and compare their epeen sizes and compare them to each other.


It wouldn't matter if people didn't still fail, even with brew. The fact that when I got my Rani win, the brewer used no less than FOUR BREWS to take her down is a testament that we at least need to nail down the most effective brewing methods for our job, so that doesn't happen.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#29 Apr 06 2011 at 12:28 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
597 posts
I think it's a bigger testament that you should research the mob you're brewing so you don't cure it for 10 million HP and look like a dumbass using 4 brews on something that should take 1 if you weren't a tard.
#30 Apr 06 2011 at 5:37 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
Logiks wrote:
I think it's a bigger testament that you should research the mob you're brewing so you don't cure it for 10 million HP and look like a dumbass using 4 brews on something that should take 1 if you weren't a tard.

Rate up +1

No matter what SE does, you can't cure "stupid". When I first got into my Abyssea shell they did a "once around the world" evening where we did almost every quest boss and every chesspiece NM in order to get all the new people to Shinryu. We didn't brew a single one of them and still managed to get all procs on each one (to teach the new people). You don't need to brew Rani... ever. It just makes the fight much quicker and safer.

Seriously ... four fcking brews...
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the @#%^ out of the way instead...
#31 Apr 06 2011 at 8:46 AM Rating: Good
Guru
Avatar
*****
10,547 posts
Eh, I think it's silly to say gear is a non-factor when brewing, though. Sure, compared to the boost of the brew itself it's fractional (10-15%?), but I'm not sure stats are actually capping at 999 since we know things like ATK can exceed the displayed value.
#32 Apr 06 2011 at 9:25 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
The bonus from brew takes your stats to 999 regardless of your gear and stat levels. So stat bonus such as INT are redundant as the more you add the less the brew adjusts it. If you have +110 in nuking gear to INT that is 110 less that the brew does not add. This can be seen in the many screen shots of brew stats, with all stats having varying numbers depending on the required amount to get to 999. So no, gear is of minor consideration, unless it is MAB or ATK.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Talk:Primeval_Brew

Stat picture half way down the page shows what I mean.

Edited, Apr 6th 2011 11:26am by rdmcandie
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#33 Apr 06 2011 at 1:51 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,414 posts
saevellakshmi wrote:
No matter what SE does, you can't cure "stupid".


No, but you can cure "uninformed".
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#34 Apr 06 2011 at 4:48 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
Aliekber wrote:
saevellakshmi wrote:
No matter what SE does, you can't cure "stupid".


No, but you can cure "uninformed".

So which was your group, stupid or uninformed?
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the @#%^ out of the way instead...
#35 Apr 06 2011 at 5:20 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,414 posts
saevellakshmi wrote:
Aliekber wrote:
saevellakshmi wrote:
No matter what SE does, you can't cure "stupid".


No, but you can cure "uninformed".

So which was your group, stupid or uninformed?

It wasn't "my" group, it was a pickup that I sat in while doing nothing and got the title for no effort. I didn't even have to farm the set.*

And the answer is probably both.

* Edit: Apparently according to my post in the accomplishment thread, I did help them get KI, but I don't really remember doing so now. Weird.

Edited, Apr 6th 2011 5:22pm by Aliekber
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#36 Apr 08 2011 at 1:28 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,759 posts
saevellakshmi wrote:
A BLU wouldn't be doing charged whisker or ~ANY~ spells, the casting times are too long. Instead you'd be spamming WS either Sang Blade or Flash Nova (if target immune to dark damage).
Of course a BLU would use spells, that's just not the only thing they should be doing. I've seen multiple screens of Charged Whisker doing 60k+ damage; you think they should just ignore that?
saevellakshmi wrote:
There is no "best at brewing" job, all jobs can brew equally because you can kill any NM in 10s or less no matter the job. A BST can spam primal rend, a SMN can use cataclysm or garland of bliss, BRD can do a.edge or sang blade, a NIN has Yu. Many magic based WS that we think are weak sauce get supercharged during a brew due to how MAB / fINT work combined with the +damage atmas. And seriously why are we discussing this topic when any semi competent player with access to a magic WS can brew something dead in seconds while being naked and no subjob.
Except when a WS like Wildfire comes along with a 60% modifier; double that of many elemental weaponskills. It also has the luxury of equipping 2 elemental damage atmas, which obviously not all WS can do. While finishing my Armageddon, I was able to kill 8 Isgebinds with each brew, and that's on a mob with natural -50% MDT. No other weaponskill can do that.
rdmcandie wrote:
The bonus from brew takes your stats to 999 regardless of your gear and stat levels. So stat bonus such as INT are redundant as the more you add the less the brew adjusts it. If you have +110 in nuking gear to INT that is 110 less that the brew does not add. This can be seen in the many screen shots of brew stats, with all stats having varying numbers depending on the required amount to get to 999. So no, gear is of minor consideration, unless it is MAB or ATK.
I'm fairly sure that a brew doesn't adjust as you change gear, so you can use the brew naked, then equip gear. 110 on top of 999 does make a considerable difference.

Edit: quoting fail

Edited, Apr 8th 2011 3:07pm by Chewzer
____________________________
Fynlar wrote:
Chew is being a lot more level-headed regarding the whole issue, which is strange because he's probably drunk.
#37 Apr 08 2011 at 1:43 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Quote:
I'm fairly sure that a brew doesn't adjust as you change gear, so you can use the brew naked, then equip gear. 110 on top of 999 does make a considerable difference.


Hmm then the screen shot on the Wiki must be wrong. If you add up the white and green for all those numbers it comes to 999, and the green has gear value included in it. Unless they changed brew mechanics since that screen shot was taken, I don't think it adds 999, it just takes you to 999.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#38 Apr 08 2011 at 1:51 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,414 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
Quote:
I'm fairly sure that a brew doesn't adjust as you change gear, so you can use the brew naked, then equip gear. 110 on top of 999 does make a considerable difference.


Hmm then the screen shot on the Wiki must be wrong. If you add up the white and green for all those numbers it comes to 999, and the green has gear value included in it. Unless they changed brew mechanics since that screen shot was taken, I don't think it adds 999, it just takes you to 999.


It's likely that Brew determines how much it needs to buff you to take you to 999 at the time of use (and that it doesn't dynamically adjust itself whenever you gearswap), so if you used it naked and then put on your gear, theoretically it should give you both your gear bonus and Brew bonus. If that did work (I don't know for sure, so this is pure speculation), I'd be worried about adding more than +25 of a stat, because I'd think that STR, INT, and other stats would only go to a max of 1024 before wrapping around to 0 again. If that's not the case, though, then great.

Edited, Apr 8th 2011 1:51pm by Aliekber
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#39 Apr 08 2011 at 2:05 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,759 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
Quote:
I'm fairly sure that a brew doesn't adjust as you change gear, so you can use the brew naked, then equip gear. 110 on top of 999 does make a considerable difference.


Hmm then the screen shot on the Wiki must be wrong. If you add up the white and green for all those numbers it comes to 999, and the green has gear value included in it. Unless they changed brew mechanics since that screen shot was taken, I don't think it adds 999, it just takes you to 999.
That just means he didn't change gear after using brew.

Edit: Now my curiosity is killing me. I'm 99% sure that brew stats are only calculated when the brew is used. I need a Twilight Belt for my mule, so I think I'll go test this right now.

Edited, Apr 8th 2011 3:11pm by Chewzer
____________________________
Fynlar wrote:
Chew is being a lot more level-headed regarding the whole issue, which is strange because he's probably drunk.
#40 Apr 08 2011 at 2:12 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
OHHHHH I see what you mean, totally mistook what you put. you go naked and get to 999, then put gear on and break it. But ya, id watch out for the 1024 thing would be funny to nuke a brew because you went to 1025 and it effectively made your INT 1.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#41 Apr 08 2011 at 2:14 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,759 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
OHHHHH I see what you mean, totally mistook what you put. you go naked and get to 999, then put gear on and break it. But ya, id watch out for the 1024 thing would be funny to nuke a brew because you went to 1025 and it effectively made your INT 1.
Smiley: laugh OK yeah, that would suck. I'm gearing up COR as we speak to go try it out.
____________________________
Fynlar wrote:
Chew is being a lot more level-headed regarding the whole issue, which is strange because he's probably drunk.
#42 Apr 08 2011 at 2:19 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
you mean getting naked?
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#43 Apr 08 2011 at 2:57 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,759 posts
Well now, that was surprising. Stats do not adjust above 999.

Entered naked with 86+40 AGI, used brew (now 86+913), then equipped my Wildfire set:

Screenshot


Equiping gear had absolutely no affect on attributes since I was at 999 already.

At least I got my Twilight Belt. Smiley: tongue

Edited, Apr 8th 2011 3:59pm by Chewzer
____________________________
Fynlar wrote:
Chew is being a lot more level-headed regarding the whole issue, which is strange because he's probably drunk.
#44 Apr 08 2011 at 3:08 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Congrats, now get a twilight dagger!. Also does this mean I was right?
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#45 Apr 08 2011 at 7:23 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
3,759 posts
rdmcandie wrote:
Congrats, now get a twilight dagger!. Also does this mean I was right?
Already have dagger on my main. And yes, this means you were right. Smiley: tongue
____________________________
Fynlar wrote:
Chew is being a lot more level-headed regarding the whole issue, which is strange because he's probably drunk.
#46 Apr 08 2011 at 8:59 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Ffirst time for everything I suppose.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#47 Apr 12 2011 at 6:20 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
Like I said Chewzer, stats do absolutely NOTHING for brews. And no BLU's shouldn't be casting ~anything~ during a brew, just spam S.blade. The casting time on charged whisker takes up at least two WS's worth of time. 35~40K on S.blade means 70~80K in the same time that one "up to 60K" charged whisker is used. I've mass brewed enough Mothra / Sobek / Alfards / ect.. using this strategy to be fairly up to date on this.

Quote:
Except when a WS like Wildfire comes along with a 60% modifier; double that of many elemental weaponskills. It also has the luxury of equipping 2 elemental damage atmas, which obviously not all WS can do. While finishing my Armageddon, I was able to kill 8 Isgebinds with each brew, and that's on a mob with natural -50% MDT. No other weaponskill can do that.


Its WF's fTP that is helping you not the 60% WSC. S.Blade is 50% MND 30% STR and dINT x2, its effectively three stats being buffed to 999 and its base damage far surpasses WF. Atma of the Cosmos is 30% dark damage, Banisher is 10% and Ultima is 50 MAB. Hitting 37K without ~any~ buffs, no COR rolls, no memento mori or drinks. Put /RDM on, get Cor rolls and it would easy hit 45K, dark obi and dark weather (SCH) could go higher. WF can get 60% from two atmas and 50 MAB from Ultima and has a 6.0 fTP along with COR's AF3 feet and HQ staff bonus. Its those other effects that increase its damage not the 60% AGI.

All this is meaningless because you can't transfer crour from one character to another, and any job can brew any NM into the ground quickly. All jobs can do at least 5 if not 6 with just some atma tweeks. At this point in time, the concept of "best" is meaningless, its like saying your Infinity +1 is better then someone else's NQ Infinity. Either way its still infinity.
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the @#%^ out of the way instead...
#48 Apr 12 2011 at 7:27 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
Except WF out damages Sanguine, so it doesn't matter its stronger and therefore better case closed.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#49 Apr 13 2011 at 4:26 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,890 posts
Never mentioned anything about "stronger" or better. WF has a 6.0 fTP mod, COR can use HQ Firestaff and their AFv3 feet while using it. Those are the reason its so bad a$$, especially during a brew not the 60% AGI mod.

As I said, in the end it doesn't matter, the NM's are still killed in the same time and your LS still gets the loot.
____________________________
RoTZ: Complete DM: O
CoP: Complete AN: O
99 SAM, RDM, BLU, WAR, PLD, DRK

lolgaxe wrote:
Nothing in this game is impossible if you set yourself to the task of actually doing it. Even dumb people can only hold you back for so long.


Lucinus wrote:
when you're hefting something that deadly, you don't miss - mobs get the @#%^ out of the way instead...
#50 Apr 13 2011 at 6:44 AM Rating: Default
Avatar
****
7,460 posts
I dont get what you are arguing, or why. 1 Shot > 2 Shots. Even if it is only by a couple seconds ergo it is better. Period.
____________________________
HEY GOOGLE. @#%^ OFF YOU. @#%^ YOUR BULLsh*t SEARCH ENGINE IN ITS @#%^ING sh*tTY BINARY ASS. ALL DAY LONG.

#51 Apr 17 2011 at 12:29 AM Rating: Decent
Avatar
*****
10,227 posts
saevellakshmi wrote:
Never mentioned anything about "stronger" or better. WF has a 6.0 fTP mod, COR can use HQ Firestaff and their AFv3 feet while using it. Those are the reason its so bad a$$, especially during a brew not the 60% AGI mod.

As I said, in the end it doesn't matter, the NM's are still killed in the same time and your LS still gets the loot.


That tiny difference between killspeed is the difference between squeezing one or two more NMs in per brew. It still matters, however insignificant you may think it is.
____________________________
2001-2011, retired because Abyssea destroyed my enjoyment of FFXI.
Garuda/Lakshmi.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 23 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (23)