All of the Pantin +2 pieces do still have some use too, particularly for Spiritreaver. None of the pieces are OMGamazing though, and it's considerably less appealing if you rarely use Spiritreaver. I'm personally now 4/5 on the set, because I just can't yet justify the price for the body with today's Forgotten Hope prices. For the useful augments, it's pretty nice that PUP is a very good Dynamis soloist so the trials are quite easy complete on your own. Don't forget to pop an exp band, it counts on the trials.
My summary of the set: Pantin Taj +2:
* NQ is useful as a nice idle piece, 2/tic master regen and puppet regen/refresh.
* Augment (Enhance Optimization, gives 1% pet critical hit damage and 2% magical crit damage per merit to a merit that a fully merited PUP should have at 5/5 no questions asked) is very worthwhile for Spiritreaver nuking - nothing else in the slot can compete. Less appealing for physical puppets given other options (Spurrer Beret, Anwig Salade for pure puppet pieces, Cirque+2 for situations where both master and puppet are meleeing), but it's better than nothing for puppet tanking if you don't have Spurrer or a pet-focused Anwig. It's even a decent Victory Smite or Stringing Pummel piece with STR+6 (though Athos and probably an Ocelomeh/Toci set are better)
* Priority: Mid-high, probably highest in the set (though I can't really justify calling any Pantin+2 piece a "high" priority like some of the best pieces for other jobs' relic+2 sets). Has an undisputed home in both nuking and idle sets. Get the augment ASAP if you use Spiritreaver with any regularity. Interesting that this may be the best piece in the +2 set for lv99 PUPs, but at 75 the Taj was easily the worst piece in the set. Pantin Tobe +2:
* NQ is a nice piece if you're ever doing Valoredge-only stuff (tanking, pet-only DD/kiting), but that's a pretty niche use.
* Augment (Enhance Overdrive) is pretty underwhelming, just adds 20 seconds to a fairly weak 2hr.
* Priority: Low - probably the weakest piece in the set, it's only really useful for situations where you're using Valoredge to tank/DD and the master is not DDing. Not a very appealing upgrade especially given that Forgotten Hopes are pretty expensive (even if you farm them yourself, you have to ask yourself if you'd rather just bazaar the Hopes for a substantial chunk of gil that you could put to better use than this armor). Augment is lame, but at least it lets you store the piece with Porter Moogles. Pantin Dastanas +2:
* NQ is a solid alternative to Cirque+2 hands for TP. Same haste, though Cirque+2 is clearly better from a master perspective (STR+6 AGI+6 DEX+1 Store TP+6, plus helps the set bonus). Pantin+2 does have a nice pet haste+4% that Cirque lacks though, and the augment is a useful one for melee (see below) which effectively just adjusts the damage split a little more in favor of the puppet if you're both meleeing. Clearly king in those less common pet-only DD situations.
* Augment (Enhance Fine-Tuning) adds crit rate+1% and magic crit+1% per merit, to a merit that a fully merited PUP should have at at least 3/5. Like the hat, no other gear in the slot will help pet nukes so it fills a unique niche.
* Priority: Mid. Probably the second best piece in the set behind the hat. Get the augment ASAP especially if you use Spiritreaver with any regularity. Pantin Churidars +2:
* NQ is a piece for both a pet nuking set, and for healing with Soulsoother (fast cast, and M.Acc is nice to help stick enfeebles).
Better for nuking than Cirque+2, M.Acc+9 is more useful than Skill+5.
(thanks for catching my mistake Jinte!). Slightly inferior sidegrade to Cirque+2 for nuking, see my below post for more detail. Also a pretty solid Stringing Pummel piece with STR/VIT+4 both being WS mods, though arguably still not as good as the Acc/Atk+10 on Cirque+2.
* Augment (Enhance Ventriloquy) is fairly meh, giving bonus enmity to whoever (master or puppet) is gaining enmity from Vent, and giving bonus enmity- to whoever is shedding enmity. Since having more than 1 Vent merit is pretty pointless, it's fairly weak at any rate though.
* Priority: Mid-low. Augment, like body, is of practical use just to store the piece. Pantin Babouches +2:
* NQ is a nice pet nuking piece, M.Acc+5/MAB+7 is probably best in slot. However, loses a little appeal since Cirque+2 is already an solid alternative for that situation (Automaton INT+13) that's also good for other reasons (WS, TP)
* Augment (Enhance Role Reversal) is better than nothing, giving bonus HP+50 per merit. Like Vent though, it's a bad idea for a PUP to have more than 1 merit in RR anyway so this addition is pretty minor.
* Priority: Mid-low. Like body and legs, at least the weak augment lets you store the piece.
I'm not entirely sure, but I'd be willing to bet that you need to be wearing the piece for your auto to gain the effect. That's how these pieces affect every other passive job trait that I can think of.
Yep, you definitely do need to have the piece on. Doesn't work by just equipping when you activate the puppet. Edited, Jun 26th 2012 1:33am by Anza