Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Possibility of creating an up-to-date Puppetmaster guideFollow

#1 Apr 12 2012 at 8:10 PM Rating: Excellent
*
65 posts
Something I've been thinking about doing for a while now is creating a comprehensive guide for present day PUPs, seeing as most other guides available for the job are outdated and don't reflect some of our more recent (and in the case of Automaton A.I. and the attachment buffs, lifechanging) updates. As someone who has been playing PUP for quite some time, even I can say that finding specific information on the job can be tough, and I think a good general resource should be something available to aspiring players of any job--especially PUPs, as many people don't understand the job at all (something I discussed recently in the General forum).

The purpose of this guide would be:
1. To give new PUPs a one-stop resource for beginner/intermediate/advanced information
2. To inform non-PUPs who wish to understand the job better
3. To help dispel some of the myths surrounded outdated data

Some topics I plan on covering and/or will need to find answers to (partial list):
- Basic data regarding the job: stats, how maneuvers work, frames, etc.
- General useful information, including soloing as PUP, how to reach 99 and what to do once you're there, subjob selection, frame selection, etc.
- Attachment information including hard data, how to acquire, uses, etc.
- What are some recommended gear sets for PUP (general use, tp set, haste, pet haste, eva, healing) What situations would each set be useful in? What other types of sets are worth building?
- Are any of the +2 mat NMs soloable or tankable in a party setup (seems like keeping hate might be an issue for the latter)? Does the set bonus from the Cirque +2 set make it worth using over other gear sets?
- Which atmas are worthwhile for PUP to have and what situations are they useful in?
- Which subs are worthwhile for PUP to have and what situations are they useful in?
- PUP seems to have some neat tricks with the puppet. Some I've heard mentioned on Alla before are "enmity dumping" and "deaggroing." How exactly are these performed?
- Other general information needed. E.G.: What are some fast ways for a PUP to claim a mob? What are some good ways for a PUP to keep or manage hate?
- Attachment setups needed. What setups are good for nuking? Soloing? DD? Etc.
- List of PUP triggers (for WSs, attachments usage, etc).
- Lesser known, yet good to know information about PUP
- Links to good PUP threads (the PUP main healing thread, the PUP Dynamis farming thread, etc.)

While I know a decent bit about PUP, I don't claim to know everything, and I doubt I'd even be considered one of the better members on this forum--I'm just your friendly neighborhood PUP trying to give back to a community that has helped me improve so much as a player. With that said, any help with this project would be appreciated: if any veteran PUPs on the board would be so kind as to correct errors/inaccuracies, point out things I've forgotten to mention, help with the more technical math, or post any kind of useful comments, it would be greatly appreciated.

However, before I start on this, I need to ask: is this something my fellow puppeteers would be interested in seeing? I plan on putting a lot of work into it, but I don't want that to be wasted time if the interest in the guide isn't there.
____________________________
Pelamir
Career PUP
Valefor
#2 Apr 13 2012 at 4:20 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
**
293 posts
Interested in seeing, and I'll do my part, I'll gather up all my spreadsheets and data, and shoot it over to you via email, or this?

And I won't doubt, that some other long timers, would love to assist with info and data.

Hell maybe we could even convince Jinte to pull a couple things in, given if she has the time.

Edited, Apr 13th 2012 6:24am by Camwin
____________________________
Career 99 PUP/WAR, and welcome my shiny new 99 DRK complete with empy smasher.
#3 Apr 13 2012 at 5:39 AM Rating: Decent
*
65 posts
Excellent! I'll get started this weekend.

I'd prefer information to be posted in this thread. That way everyone can see it and offer their input on it.

One thing that would help greatly would be answers to the more specific questions above. The general info (hard data about the job, etc) I can find on the wiki, but anything that won't be on there is something I'll need help with (for example, "enmity dumping," or stuff that needs a general consensus like what types of mobs and nms pup can/can't solo).
____________________________
Pelamir
Career PUP
Valefor
#4 Apr 13 2012 at 6:40 AM Rating: Good
*
54 posts
Very nice to see someone carrying the torch forward for the PUPs. Hopefully this ends well, as it would be nice to have a place to send some of the newer PUPs instead of having to explain over and over some of the more tedious things associated with the job.

Huge stamp of approval, I'll attempt to be as much help as I can be given my busy schedule as of late.

A wish of good luck in this endeavor as well. As I know for sure that you'll have quite a bit of work ahead of you working on this guide, even with help.
____________________________
Character: Spathaian
Server: Shiva
Main: Puppetmaster
#5 Apr 13 2012 at 1:31 PM Rating: Good
Hello! i just recently returned to FFXI, and i have only recently hit lv.30 and am working towards getting some basic requirement quests/missions done before starting my journey on puppetmaster, (which i played only briefly about 4 years ago). I have to say the threads and guides i've read on this forum inspired me to give the pup class a proper try this time round, and I plan to use the information the veteren pups have posted here in my gameplay. I have become aware that a lot of things for puppetmaster have changed in recent months and its difficult to deseminate which information is still relevant, therefore I wholely approve and appreciate the idea behind this revised guide :)

For what its worth, as a newly returned FFXier and soon to be puppetmaster I appreciate and enjoy the community spirit of this forum and wish everyone who contributes the best of luck in creating a comprehensive guide which other noob pups (like me lol) can use to help them in understanding and relishing in the best job in Final Fantasy XI :D
#7 Apr 15 2012 at 12:10 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
237 posts
Zelduh wrote:
Meh, what's the point? If you saw the latest thread in General, everyone still hates us and thinks PUP sucks and is inferior in every way and NOTHING we can do can prove to them that we're good damage dealers, they're simply in perpetual denial and ignorance, so what's the point of playing PUP anymore? We should just all quit so SE sees 0 people are playing PUP, that way they make us even more broken and maybe once we can one-shot every HNM in the game people will pay attention to us.


Dude, suicide is not the answer to bullying, because metaphorically thats what your post reminds me of, o.O

Pup is fun, who gives a (insert preferred curse word) what the heck other people think about your job, you either have fun playing it, or you dont, and screw everyone else to the curb.

I used to let people push me around when i was younger, but then i learned to ignore their ignorance and just have faith in myself, and since i made that decision my life has become a million times better/happier.

just my 2 cents

Fantus
____________________________
Fantus
95 Puppetmaster
#8 Apr 15 2012 at 3:51 PM Rating: Good
*
102 posts
if this help... my pup soloing videos EPs i been making up on youtube. most of the is NM from abyssea and some others. try making them fun with a story while iam doing them.. here a example one of my new videos just made http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egLd11V269c guess it could be a NM guide:)
____________________________
(Main Pup). other Sch etc .main server Bismarck. was on Phoenix for while

www.youtube.com/user/nyheen for puppetmaster NM solo episodes :)
#9 Apr 15 2012 at 4:47 PM Rating: Excellent
*
65 posts
Zelduh wrote:
Meh, what's the point? If you saw the latest thread in General, everyone still hates us and thinks PUP sucks and is inferior in every way and NOTHING we can do can prove to them that we're good damage dealers, they're simply in perpetual denial and ignorance, so what's the point of playing PUP anymore? We should just all quit so SE sees 0 people are playing PUP, that way they make us even more broken and maybe once we can one-shot every HNM in the game people will pay attention to us.


I saw the thread and posted in it. As a PUP main, I understand that many people don't understand the job, but also realize the information can be hard to find. That's one of the purposes of this guide: to inform non-PUPs in an easy, all-in-one resource.

That said, there will always be people who think PUP is an awful job out of ignorance. I had an argument the other night with someone who refused to accept PUP is one of the most evasive jobs in the game thanks to Evasion Bonus IV, despite all the wiki links and hard data I had proving it. Jobs snobs gonna job snob, and they'll always exist. It's their loss though: there are many times I've asked for invites to PJ shouts only to be denied. Usually when that happens, I'll make my own group or solo the task in question, then return to Jeuno to see them still shouting.
____________________________
Pelamir
Career PUP
Valefor
#10 Apr 18 2012 at 8:58 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
293 posts
Ps would someone mind posting a link to the pup bash thread?
____________________________
Career 99 PUP/WAR, and welcome my shiny new 99 DRK complete with empy smasher.
#16 Apr 20 2012 at 1:45 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
917 posts
Zelduh wrote:
Uh, okay, keep randomly insulting me for no reason. I'm a better PUP than you'll ever be :P
I've never said anything stupid to be randomly attacked lol, once again this is just the whole circle jerk of elite posters stigmatizing me because it's "cool", congratulations. Want a cookie? You hate me like everyone else does. Do you feel special? You're so original. You should play SAM or something since you seem to love jumping on bandwagons, I don't think PUP is for you bro


I said it in =10, will say it here too


STFU ZELDUH!!!


I'm pretty sure Jinte was a PUP from the word jump and his contributions to the PUP community in general over the years alone lend more credence to what he says on the subject imo than most anyone besides Anza. That said, i'll be speaking for me hereafter in this post, 'cause frankly he doesn't need anyone taking up for him. This isn't hero worship or anything, its simple fact.

I have been a PUP main since about 3 months after ToAU and the job were released. I was one of the chief naysayers of PUP in my LS at the time actually. Was taking BLU through the jungles at the time when i had the great fortune of getting in a pt with a PUP. After i saw him plowing through mobs, i was sold and have been on-board with the job ever since.

I've quit LS's, i've black-listed stalkers bombarding me with derision, and have even lost ingame friends over being a PUP. Who the @#%^ are you to waltz in here and call anyone that truly cares about this job a bandwagonner or part of a 'circle-jerk' clique because we see your recent behavior as both disruptive and juvenile? Please...

Me, i don't hate you. Personally, i just deeply dislike you and players like you. You and your ilk find and latch onto a job for all the wrong reasons and then proceed to make asses of yourselves, and by extension the jobs you infest, talking your big talk and failing to back any of it up in any way other than the old 'NO U!!!!11!LAWL!!!' defense. I've seen it many times before and it sickens me whenever your type pop up.

X job is looked down on by the FFXI populace. Ppl like you Zelduh, then latch on to it not to boost the job or make it better. No, you grab a hold in a delusional powerplay against naysayers to prove you are somehow made of pure awesome because you alone can play X job correctly. You alone can show everyone the trick to X job. And then you all start foaming about the mouth shouting down any who oppose your views. Even legitimate lovers of X job. BST, MNK, DRG, etc, etc, and now PUP.; any job that's been consistently mocked or put down ingame eventually pulls you vermin in sadly.

All that said you play a job like PUP because you love it. Or you want to understand it. You don't play it to elevate yourself and lord your imaginary superiority over everyone else like you were King Friday looking down at all the lesser puppets.

You aren't the first Zelduh and won't be the last to graze your drama-llama in FFXI. But you do have the distinction of being one of the few to ever really piss me off. Even Natey had info backing him up when he showed his ass in here. You come with nothing, you don't hold a candle to that guy.

You want ppl to take you seriously? Then calm the @#%^ down and think before you post. That thread in =10 is a travesty, thanks in large part to you stupidly spouting off at the mouth. In fact it reminds me of that Voidwatch thread you shat all about in as well. Its all well and good to feel strongly about PUP(or anything really), i sure do; but its another thing entirely doing what you are doing.

How the hell do you think it is gonna help PUP by antagonizing ppl already dead-set against giving the job a chance? Its not. What it will do is have a trickle down effect that just negatively reinforces the job's already less than stellar rep.I'll expond on this.

The guy Raelix you were carrying on with in =10, i happen to be in one of his shells on my server. Now i don't think he's active atm, but from what i've seen of him in it, he's pretty well thought of and his opinion of something isn't just dismissed. Say he resubs and comes back spitting fire about some dumbass PUP online? I can tell you that that group of jokes will take what he say to heart. Then they will pass the sentiment to others, them to others, etc.....

Anyways, i've calmed down a bit typing this out. Will end saying, stop being a dummy Zelduh. And stop thinking you are the end-all-be-all personification of PUP, because you sure as hell ain't.
____________________________
[ffxisig]10000[/ffxisig]
----------------------------------
One of my server's brightest minds... wrote:
Not to make too extreme a comparison, but Rog is like Nelson Mandella...


Quite possibly the DUMBEST thing i've ever read.
#17 Apr 20 2012 at 3:37 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
293 posts
Spirit, I have a question. Can I be a true lover of PUP, as well as making it out to be omnipotent? I use factual evidence and do not antagonize!!! Please?!

By the way that was the longest post I've seen of yours in a while and, was well written and didn't get overly ranty :).
____________________________
Career 99 PUP/WAR, and welcome my shiny new 99 DRK complete with empy smasher.
#19 Apr 20 2012 at 7:45 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
293 posts
Zelduh, I can tell you enjoy PUP, but that is no reason to devalue and flame two PUPs, who both have more than contributed to the forums and the well being of would be PUPs. Hell not to idolize Jinte, but without Jinte I wouldn't be the PUP I am today. And Spirit, isn't much different.

I insist upon you that you quit bashing on your end. And I quote you "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
____________________________
Career 99 PUP/WAR, and welcome my shiny new 99 DRK complete with empy smasher.
#23 Apr 22 2012 at 11:15 PM Rating: Excellent
Sage
Avatar
**
293 posts
So wait... Does this mean the updated pup guide is nearing completion?
____________________________
Career 99 PUP/WAR, and welcome my shiny new 99 DRK complete with empy smasher.
#24 Apr 23 2012 at 12:07 AM Rating: Excellent
*
65 posts
This ouroboros of trollbaiting > feeding the trolls is not what this thread is for. Stop it.

As for the guide, I've created a rough outline (I realize it doesn't use proper formatting for an outline, but after college I never want to see the letters M, L, and A next to each other ever again). This is mainly to expand on the concepts mentioned in the OP and establish a basic flow for the guide and how information will be integrated into each section. Once the content of the guide is decided upon, I'm going to write it section by section and will use this thread to ask the more experienced/knowledgable PUPs here questions I don't know how to answer or for clarifications on wiki information that seems vague.

My fellow PUPs, please give feedback if it seems like I've left anything out or if you feel the guide should be organized/ordered differently.

Outline:

1. UNDERSTAND! UNDERSTAND! The concept of PUP - Explain PUP's roles as it's a hybrid job. Include general roles (DD, healer, etc) as well as end game roles (what PUPs are meant to do in VW, Abyssea, Dynamis, etc). Explain its strengths and limitations of said roles, and what a party can reasonably expect of a good pup (performance wise [is the DD pup using Stringing Pummel/Victory Smite, or at least Shijin Spiral?] and specific tasks, e.g., don't expect a PUP to main heal an alliance because they literally can't). Clarify misconceptions about PUP. Perhaps make this section into its own thread separate from the main guide so more non-PUPs will be inclined to read it?

2. Job overview - Basic functions of the job. List of stats (and which to focus on) as well as Job Traits and Job Abilites, how instructing the puppet via maneuvers works, light overview of how attachments are equipped/activated, differences between frames and their uses/limitations, which subs are used for what.

3. Becoming a PUP - How to unlock the job, how to acquire all frames, how to acquire basic AF gear, general leveling route to level 99. Maybe put some basic tips on gear here (what to wear until 99, or like how Pink set > Alcide's > AF3+1 is a decent way to start until you get better stuff [assuming you don't already have anything better]).

4. In-depth explanation of attachments and frames - hard data of what each attachment does at 1, 2, or 3 corresponding maneuvers, their uses, which attachments are good to equip for general uses and which ones are good at specific situations. Hard data for frames goes here (skills caps at 99, for example). Discuss frame/head combos. Explain how triggers work and what they are for each attachment, including WS triggers.

5. Playing the job - Useful macros, how to use merits JAs, maneuver combinations. How to solo: which sub and frame to use, which types of mobs can and can't be soloed. Explain how to plow through old content (like Missions). Briefly cover how PUP functions in a traditional party (for inclusiveness and the rare instances that actually happens).

6. PUP in Abyssea - How to get 3 lunar abyssites/how to handle zone bosses, which atmas PUP should strive to obtain, which atmas are good for what and how to balance your selection of subs, frames, attachments, gear, and atmas for a given task, which procs are available to PUP and its subs, PUP's uses in general Abyssea stuff like seal/+2 mat farming, which seals/+2 mat NMs PUP can solo farm (also, which popsets PUP can solo farm).

7. PUP in other end game activities - PUP's usage in all non-Abyssea activities, with subsections featuring VW, Dynamis, Legion, Nyzul Isle, Einherjar, Salvage, BCNMs, and WoE. Definitely will need help with this part as I haven't done some of the older end game events, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

8. Recommended gear - How to acquire AF3+1/+2 sets, how to acquire Relic sets, specific pieces that are good and how to acquire them (Brutal Earring, for example). Discuss TP, haste, pet haste, eva, and healing pieces/sets. Which pieces are good for gearswap macros (STR [or DEX for Shijin Spiral] for WS macros, Bufoon's Collar for maneuvers, etc). Which stats to look for when selecting gear. Which Magian Trial weapons are worth obtaining.

9. Useful tricks/lesser known stuff - Explain fast ways to claim a mob (mainly via subs), how enmity dumping works, how to force deaggro, oddball (mismatched) head/frame combos, hate-free nuking. If anyone can think of other secret techniques of the PUP trade, please mention it for inclusion.

10. Links to good PUP threads - Self-explanatory, will compile this list when the rest of the guide is complete.
____________________________
Pelamir
Career PUP
Valefor
#25 Apr 23 2012 at 9:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
**
917 posts
First off, my apologies Pelamir. I think your idea of an updated comprehensive PUP resource base of knowledge is a good one and i'll gladly contribute if you get one going. Sorry my outburst was helping to derail this thread. I'll rein back from here on if possible as i don't want your tentative project hindered any more than its possible it might be. As can be readily apparent from my postcount and my time coming to Alla, i don't post much. But fair warning, i will flare if i think something is out of line. And again apologies if that happens here again, though as said i'll try to stay on topic in your thread.

That said

Your outline is pretty well thought out as is and i only see one area that might be missing. I'll get to that in a second, i just want to touch a bit on an issue you may come across while undertaking this project. This is me speaking for myself though, so please take that into consideration.

PUP is a wildly individualistic job by design and as such you are going to be compiling a huge amount of info/strats/tips that aside from the very basic job mechanics can and most likely will, accordingly, vary wildly from one PUP player to the next. You will need to make provisions for this from the first or you will find yourself quickly in a morass ofttimes contradictory data-that all can be correct depending on the individual player. Just something obvious i wanted to put out there, but i felt needed to be stressed.

My suggestion to your outline is a simple one, but i think vital. And while heavily on the qualitative side, as am i in all honesty, would be a good addition nonetheless. Interaction with non-PUP players.

This could easily be put in your first section, but i think separately in a section of its own would work out better.

For good and usually ill, PUP has a stigma attached to it. Unfair imo as the job as it is today, or even a year or so ago for that matter, is a completely different job than the one SE rolled out in '06. People interested in the job, looking for info or w/e on PUP NEED to be made aware of this fact. Its one thing to know this from another job's perspective, its quite another to have that reality slammed into their face repeatedly AS a PUP.

Like i said, a simple addition. But i truly feel it will add to the overall success of your project. I've met plenty of players who tried PUP for a hot minute and quickly put the job down after their first run in with a non-PUP, many of which went on to be anti-PUP simply based on the bad experience. I think if they had had some kind of real warning about what they were getting into(that first and foremost, PUP is a job you play because you like and want to play it), even if they didn't stick with the job, they would have left the experience with a measure of respect for the job at least. And that respect, they would have spread word-of-mouth to others instead of the venom as it was i've seen.

Anyways, that's my suggestion for your outline. Kudos to you for taking on a difficult, but ultimately rewarding venture. I'll help as i can once you are up and running.
____________________________
[ffxisig]10000[/ffxisig]
----------------------------------
One of my server's brightest minds... wrote:
Not to make too extreme a comparison, but Rog is like Nelson Mandella...


Quite possibly the DUMBEST thing i've ever read.
#26 Apr 23 2012 at 10:49 AM Rating: Excellent
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,441 posts
Zelduh wrote:
Nothing you say is funny.

Everything I say is funny when I want it to be, to people who enough of a have a sense of humor realize when I'm trying to be funny. I'm almost never serious when I'm raging. That doesn't change the fact that you're an idiot, though. Like that one pup from the Official forums who tried to argue that Atma of the Sea Daughter was a great DD atma because of the regain, and because the 13% slow wasn't a major issue. Smiley: oyvey

BUT! I agree with spirit and I'm going to second the apology. That was why I said I didn't want too rip into Zelduh; this isn't the place for it.

I'm also going to second what spirit said about that addition to your list, and emphasize it, that sh*t needs to be big, bold, and blatantly obvious, and also both well written enough to not be preachy, but simple enough to not confuse people. I can probably write it up for you, if you don't think you can pull it off. If you do, then please do, because I'd love to see another well spoken pup take charge in the community, there are a lot of us Smiley: grin

Pelamir wrote:
As for the guide, I've created a rough outline (I realize it doesn't use proper formatting for an outline, but after college I never want to see the letters M, L, and A next to each other ever again). This is mainly to expand on the concepts mentioned in the OP and establish a basic flow for the guide and how information will be integrated into each section. Once the content of the guide is decided upon, I'm going to write it section by section and will use this thread to ask the more experienced/knowledgable PUPs here questions I don't know how to answer or for clarifications on wiki information that seems vague.

My fellow PUPs, please give feedback if it seems like I've left anything out or if you feel the guide should be organized/ordered differently.

No one except for HS and College english teachers gives a @#%^ about MLA. But yea, this is the same sort of outline style I use, so let me see if I can give you any tips. I am also going to second spirit's comment about how individualistic the job gets, and how tricky it is to write a guide for (I'm speaking from experience here, the guide sticky I wrote took me three months to do to a point where I was at least somewhat happy with it, and another month or two before I stopped nitpicking at it after I posted it Smiley: lol). I definitely think you should adjust the ordering, a bit, though, but I'll go into that more after I get through the individual points.

Pelamir wrote:
1. UNDERSTAND! UNDERSTAND! The concept of PUP - Explain PUP's roles as it's a hybrid job. Include general roles (DD, healer, etc) as well as end game roles (what PUPs are meant to do in VW, Abyssea, Dynamis, etc). Explain its strengths and limitations of said roles, and what a party can reasonably expect of a good pup (performance wise [is the DD pup using Stringing Pummel/Victory Smite, or at least Shijin Spiral?] and specific tasks, e.g., don't expect a PUP to main heal an alliance because they literally can't). Clarify misconceptions about PUP. Perhaps make this section into its own thread separate from the main guide so more non-PUPs will be inclined to read it?

Definitely a good starter and a very important one, you could probably roll the whole "Dealing with non-pups" in to this, or even simply write the entire section as a KISS version of the pup job for people who don't play it, regardless of their interest in the job. This is one of the sections you'll want to flesh out; because of how variable and versatile pup can be, and the nature of what this section is, you need to go with the "detail heavy" route for it, as opposed to the "keep it vague" route, or this section won't really be useful at all. That said, while you want this section to be detailed, the stuff covered by it should be individually kept vague, or this section will basically become the guide itself, which happened to me and was a major headache to fix. Really though, you might find that you've got a bit too much packed into this section, honestly, so you might be better off using this as a preview for what all can be found within your guide, and not expand on anything beyond simply where to find more info about something. I think I pulled a 180 mid-paragraph on what I'm thinking, here, so let me know if what I just said makes any sense or contradicts itself Smiley: laugh

Pelamir wrote:
2. Job overview - Basic functions of the job. List of stats (and which to focus on) as well as Job Traits and Job Abilites, how instructing the puppet via maneuvers works, light overview of how attachments are equipped/activated, differences between frames and their uses/limitations, which subs are used for what.

Basically, "Generic pup stats/traits/abilities, and explanations of what they are/do" combined with a basic version of "What pup needs in order to do what it can do" right? Sounds pretty straight forward, just make sure you get your facts straight and triple check for typos and what not.

Pelamir wrote:
3. Becoming a PUP - How to unlock the job, how to acquire all frames, how to acquire basic AF gear, general leveling route to level 99. Maybe put some basic tips on gear here (what to wear until 99, or like how Pink set > Alcide's > AF3+1 is a decent way to start until you get better stuff [assuming you don't already have anything better]).

Seems pretty straight forward here, too, only comment I have is on the gear bit, which I would say really only needs "aim for melee gear while you're leveling, you probably won't need anything else until after you've hit endgame" since even when you need specialized gear for low level sh*t, these days, the only people that do said things (read: capped bcnms) are people who are already at endgame anyway. Probably want to include a basic rundown of what to aim for melee wise for newer players, too.
1-30: Atk > Acc > Str > Dex (Atk is really valuable pre-30, those mighty rings with the +5atk enchant? A pair of them adds more to your damage prior to snipers/woodsman levels than any food you could eat)
30-60: Acc > Atk > Str > Dex (Acc becomes more valuable and atk becomes less valuable, Str is always more valuable than dex, because fSTR is far easier increase and far more important over all, than dDEX, at least until you can get the stupid amounts of dex necessary to make dDEX hit it's stride)
60-90ish: Haste > Acc > Atk > Str > Dex
Endgame Pup melee: Haste > MA/DA/TA/Crit/Atk/Acc/Str (which is worth more or less than which is very situational, and I haven't mathed it out recently for generic pup consideration. I'll do that after I post this, I think) > Acc/Store TP/Str/Dex (Acc loses a lot of its value once you cap your skill, except in situations where you need a lot of it, and Str gains a lot of sway simply due to the nature of acc becoming less important, which is why they're listed twice. Store TP just isn't worth as much for 1H/H2H users as it is for 2H users, and we also don't have nearly enough access to it for it to be considered as important as DA/TA/Crit/Atk.) > Conserve TP/Save TP/KA (Conserve TP is lol, Save TP got nerfed, and we don't have the ability to make kick attacks work and be viable enough for them to be relevant, since with the exception of 1-2 pieces, none of the KA gear we can wear is worth wearing because it sacrifices too much in other areas.)

Actually, I think it might be better if I just math that sh*t all out for you (and everyone else) to use as a reference Smiley: laugh

Pelamir wrote:
4. In-depth explanation of attachments and frames - hard data of what each attachment does at 1, 2, or 3 corresponding maneuvers, their uses, which attachments are good to equip for general uses and which ones are good at specific situations. Hard data for frames goes here (skills caps at 99, for example). Discuss frame/head combos. Explain how triggers work and what they are for each attachment, including WS triggers.

You don't need to go too indepth, honestly. What's more important is explaining the details on the ones that aren't self-explanitory, which attachments are worth using, and which ones aren't. Ie: You don't need to explain what Tension Spring or Stabilizer do, beyond maybe giving their stats, but honestly, you're better off just linking to the wiki and explaining that attachments like those are straight foreward and need no further explanation on your part. For attachments like Inhibitor, you'll probably want to explain the basics of what they do aside from the obvious (read: you don't need to explain inhibitor's store TP, just its SCing function), but you should also mention if or when they are or are not actually worth using, ie: at lower levels, inhibitor makes Self-SCs easier, and ups your damage, but at higher levels, it usually just slows your damage down and isn't worth using. The only attachments you'll really need to explain in much detail are the really important ones (Turbo Charger, Vivi-valve, etc), and the really complicated ones (Ice Maker, Damage Gauge, Optic Fiber (this one's a @#%^ing pain to explain clearly), etc) and also why they're important. For the complicated ones that don't do anything important, you can probably give a basic explanation and explain that "They're complicated but mostly useless." By this I mean tactical processor, which has an incredibly complicated function that makes almost no visible difference in anything at all ever, except maybe, and I heavily emphasize maybe based on preliminary testing I've done, that it might possibly increase ws frequency slightly (basic testing had my puppet wsing on average between 140-160 TP without it, and 120-140 with it, but the sample size was pretty minuscule because I was testing something else and just through it in for sh*ts and giggles on the side. I need to get back on that at some point.)

Don't need much depth with the frame/head combos, since there are only 2 aside from matching that are actually worth using in some situations; Valorwaker before you get your hands on soulsoother, and occasionally before cure VI, and Drklequin (Spiritreaver/harlequin) which can put out some moderate/decent dd and has more survivability than sharpshot. Triggers, though, you should definitely be clear and detailed about.

Pelamir wrote:
5. Playing the job - Useful macros, how to use merits JAs, maneuver combinations. How to solo: which sub and frame to use, which types of mobs can and can't be soloed. Explain how to plow through old content (like Missions). Briefly cover how PUP functions in a traditional party (for inclusiveness and the rare instances that actually happens).

Pelamir wrote:
9. Useful tricks/lesser known stuff - Explain fast ways to claim a mob (mainly via subs), how enmity dumping works, how to force deaggro, oddball (mismatched) head/frame combos, hate-free nuking. If anyone can think of other secret techniques of the PUP trade, please mention it for inclusion.

Combine those two. I know I said I was going to cover the order later, but yea, combine those two into one section. This section also needs to be both vague and detailed at the same time, though, since in addition to what you've got, it should basically cover what pup's over all capabilities are, the various roles it can fill, and how it fills them.

Pelamir wrote:
6. PUP in Abyssea - How to get 3 lunar abyssites/how to handle zone bosses, which atmas PUP should strive to obtain, which atmas are good for what and how to balance your selection of subs, frames, attachments, gear, and atmas for a given task, which procs are available to PUP and its subs, PUP's uses in general Abyssea stuff like seal/+2 mat farming, which seals/+2 mat NMs PUP can solo farm (also, which popsets PUP can solo farm).


Pelamir wrote:
7. PUP in other end game activities - PUP's usage in all non-Abyssea activities, with subsections featuring VW, Dynamis, Legion, Nyzul Isle, Einherjar, Salvage, BCNMs, and WoE. Definitely will need help with this part as I haven't done some of the older end game events, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

Don't really need to comment on either of these yet. I can be more constructive/helpful after you've got them fleshed out.

Pelamir wrote:
8. Recommended gear - How to acquire AF3+1/+2 sets, how to acquire Relic sets, specific pieces that are good and how to acquire them (Brutal Earring, for example). Discuss TP, haste, pet haste, eva, and healing pieces/sets. Which pieces are good for gearswap macros (STR [or DEX for Shijin Spiral] for WS macros, Bufoon's Collar for maneuvers, etc). Which stats to look for when selecting gear. Which Magian Trial weapons are worth obtaining.

Be really, really, really careful when you make this, because it's really @#%^ing difficult to do both a gear guide and a gearing guide at the same time, and not sound incredibly biased towards certain things (I triied, my gear guide initially had comments on why gear was included, but I realized towards the end that they all had a pretty heavy hand towards my personal pup playstyle, so I had to go back and revise the entire thing.) It also takes @#%^ing forever and is really goddamn tedious to make it not look terrible, visually. Might suggest either separating them, or simplifying it to a pure Gearing guide. (Note: Gear vs Gearing: Gear = gear, Gearing = why you wear what you wear)

Pelamir wrote:
10. Links to good PUP threads - Self-explanatory, will compile this list when the rest of the guide is complete.

Have fun with that. I've tried to overhaul my links thread, but @#%^, it's a major hassle Smiley: glare

Anyway, the over all order, I think I want to see your more fleshed out versions of the various sections before I really comment too much on it, because this order is mostly workable (with the one big issue I had already noted) depending on how you go about it.

Also, sorry if I came off a bit preachy/demanding with my advice, basically just trying to give you a fair warning that there's a lot more work necessary to making a job guide, especially a pup guide, than you might realize. If you have the patience/dedication to see it through to the end, you'll definitely leave it a much better player, though, so it's worth the effort. You'll never want to ever do it again though. Smiley: laugh You're totally welcome ask me for advice on clarifying sh*t that needs to be clarified, though. Same on the math stuff. If there's anything you want to borrow/use from the stickies, help yourself. Honestly, you can feel free to blatantly plagiarize if you think something is still relevant and well written enough to be viable. That sh*ts all sorts of out of date, though, so I doubt much of it aside from common sense stuff is.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#28 Apr 23 2012 at 12:43 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
917 posts
Sorry late reply as i missed the post

Camwin wrote:
Spirit, I have a question. Can I be a true lover of PUP, as well as making it out to be omnipotent? I use factual evidence and do not antagonize!!! Please?!

By the way that was the longest post I've seen of yours in a while and, was well written and didn't get overly ranty :).



Yes, of course you may Smiley: lol
____________________________
[ffxisig]10000[/ffxisig]
----------------------------------
One of my server's brightest minds... wrote:
Not to make too extreme a comparison, but Rog is like Nelson Mandella...


Quite possibly the DUMBEST thing i've ever read.
#30 Apr 26 2012 at 1:06 PM Rating: Good
Sage
***
2,865 posts
Lady Jinte wrote:
Pelamir wrote:
5. Playing the job - Useful macros, how to use merits JAs, maneuver combinations. How to solo: which sub and frame to use, which types of mobs can and can't be soloed. Explain how to plow through old content (like Missions). Briefly cover how PUP functions in a traditional party (for inclusiveness and the rare instances that actually happens).

Pelamir wrote:
9. Useful tricks/lesser known stuff - Explain fast ways to claim a mob (mainly via subs), how enmity dumping works, how to force deaggro, oddball (mismatched) head/frame combos, hate-free nuking. If anyone can think of other secret techniques of the PUP trade, please mention it for inclusion.

Combine those two. I know I said I was going to cover the order later, but yea, combine those two into one section. This section also needs to be both vague and detailed at the same time, though, since in addition to what you've got, it should basically cover what pup's over all capabilities are, the various roles it can fill, and how it fills them.


One really useful portion of this area would be "how do I make the mage puppet work??" Understanding how to "pull the strings" and manipulate the mage frames' AI to do what you want it to do is complicated and unique to the job. In my view, once a player learns this they can really "get" the automaton part of the job. Understanding how to force certain spells (e.g. silence on a mage mob), how to avoid certain spells (no thx Aspir-Drain), loading up on ice maneuvers to nuke, having the puppet cast then quickly DAD to get a second spell right away - these are the things that separate the pros from the people who don't fully get it.

How to gear the master is fairly similar to any other 1H/H2H DD. Using VE is easy. Using SS is easy provided you clearly note that it should almost always be played like a 2004-era RNG (melee for more TP = more WS). Using Spiritreaver and actually getting it to nuke when you want it, heal when you want it, use the right enfeebles... that's an art.

Pelamir wrote:
8. Recommended gear - How to acquire AF3+1/+2 sets, how to acquire Relic sets, specific pieces that are good and how to acquire them (Brutal Earring, for example). Discuss TP, haste, pet haste, eva, and healing pieces/sets. Which pieces are good for gearswap macros (STR [or DEX for Shijin Spiral] for WS macros, Bufoon's Collar for maneuvers, etc). Which stats to look for when selecting gear. Which Magian Trial weapons are worth obtaining.
Lady Jinte wrote:
Be really, really, really careful when you make this, because it's really @#%^ing difficult to do both a gear guide and a gearing guide at the same time, and not sound incredibly biased towards certain things (I triied, my gear guide initially had comments on why gear was included, but I realized towards the end that they all had a pretty heavy hand towards my personal pup playstyle, so I had to go back and revise the entire thing.) It also takes @#%^ing forever and is really goddamn tedious to make it not look terrible, visually. Might suggest either separating them, or simplifying it to a pure Gearing guide. (Note: Gear vs Gearing: Gear = gear, Gearing = why you wear what you wear)


Good comments. One way to do it would be to give some general gearing concepts at the start, then just do a pure list and let the players use it as a resource. Maybe highlight the standard expected pieces or undisputed must-haves in bold or something (Cirque+2 pieces, Brutal Earring, AF/AF+1 gloves, these kinds of things).

In the stickied older guide, I like Jinte's way of using color-coded symbols to show which types of roles each piece of gear fills.

Zelduh wrote:
I don't think PUP is for you bro

Not to derail the productive discussion, but I just saw this today and I can't let it pass without saying I got a huuuuuuuge laugh out of that being said to JINTE of all people. One way to ensure your credibility goes from low to absolute zero is to say something like that to one of the all time most helpful people in the English-speaking PUP community.

All-time classic PUP forum ridiculousness, and that's really saying something with some of the stuff we've seen here over the years.

Edited, Apr 26th 2012 3:09pm by Anza
____________________________
Anza: Titan 2004-2011 / Capuchin: Phoenix 2011-???
#35 May 02 2012 at 1:48 PM Rating: Excellent
Deleted a lot of posts for obvious reasons.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points


My thoughts and reviews on all sorts of sci-fi stuff...and things.
#36 May 03 2012 at 3:03 AM Rating: Decent
So is this guide now somewhere for people to read?
#37 May 03 2012 at 6:07 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,441 posts
LeilaniWildfire wrote:
So is this guide now somewhere for people to read?

quite obviously not.
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#38 May 04 2012 at 2:58 AM Rating: Decent
That's actually a huge shame, I hope someone takes up on this at some point.

Or does someone know where a PUP now 99 could get some help for the new gear, roles, AI changes, new attachments etc.? I loved my PUP @ 75 but I seem a bit lost now and dont know where to start.

Edited, May 4th 2012 5:05am by LeilaniWildfire
#39 May 07 2012 at 10:40 PM Rating: Good
is Happy on Friday!
*****
12,441 posts
LeilaniWildfire wrote:
That's actually a huge shame, I hope someone takes up on this at some point.

Or does someone know where a PUP now 99 could get some help for the new gear, roles, AI changes, new attachments etc.? I loved my PUP @ 75 but I seem a bit lost now and dont know where to start.

Edited, May 4th 2012 5:05am by LeilaniWildfire

The guide is under construction, which is what I was saying was obvious (if you read the thread, anyway). Until then, just ask the forum the questions you have (if you're going to ask a lot, keep it to a single thread, don't make a thousand new ones, please, that drives me nuts, and no one wants a nuttier jinte), and we'll answer your questions as we find them, just remember that this forum tends to move a bit slowly
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#40 May 08 2012 at 6:00 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
**
293 posts
Slow my tookus! I check this forum at least 6 times a day.

And yes I have a life, but I also have a smartphone and often get bored enough to check. Because I love pup and the official forum is a joke.
____________________________
Career 99 PUP/WAR, and welcome my shiny new 99 DRK complete with empy smasher.
#41 May 14 2012 at 10:43 PM Rating: Good
*
65 posts
Figured I'd offer a brief update. I can confirm that the guide is still under construction. Unfortunately, real life has been kicking my ass lately--a close family member has been in the hospital recently, I've been working on starting a new website with some colleagues of mine, and Im still working a full time job until that gets off the ground.

I've barely had time to even play lately, but please have patience--I am trying to ensure the guide will be worth whatever wait there will be.
____________________________
Pelamir
Career PUP
Valefor
#42 May 15 2012 at 1:04 AM Rating: Good
No worries Pelamir. Real life must take precedence always. You've taken on quite the challenge, work it at your own pace.
____________________________
[ffxisig]10000[/ffxisig]
----------------------------------
One of my server's brightest minds... wrote:
Not to make too extreme a comparison, but Rog is like Nelson Mandella...


Quite possibly the DUMBEST thing i've ever read.
#43Bhujerba, Posted: Jun 03 2012 at 5:32 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) waiting on the guide.
#44 Jun 13 2012 at 10:56 PM Rating: Excellent
*
65 posts
Update on the guide:

Life has settled down for the moment, so fortunately I've had a lot more time to work on it lately. At this point, the current plan is as follows:
1. Finish typing the guide in its entirety (as in fill out all chapters).
2. Proofread and make corrections or changes where necessary (typos/grammatical errors, swap stuff around or add/remove info if needed)
3. After these two initial steps, I'll post the rough draft onto the Test Server... er, Pastebin and share the link in this thread. I HIGHLY encourage my fellow PUPs to read the guide once it's posted, and please post ANY feedback on it in this thread, whether that ends up being correcting wrong information, making arguments for opinions or ideas not expressed in the guide, suggesting additions or clarifications, small stuff like pointing out missed typos, just saying "Kudos, you explained *insert-whatever-here* perfectly," or anything else that needs mentioning. I make no claims to be the best PUP around or even anywhere near the level of Jinte, Spiritreaver, or any of the other more knowledgeable PUPs on this or any other forum. By pointing out what's wrong AND what's right with the guide, it will help ensure the final product is of the highest quality, which is what I aim to achieve. All I ask is that negative criticism is polite instead of being a jerk, and that you source your information when possible (obviously things like general community consensus regarding opinions are impossible to source, but if it was, say, something that BG tested, please link to BG's data).
4. I will make changes to the guide in correspondence with the feedback given.
5. Repeat 3-4 until the guide is generally agreed on.
6. I'll make a new thread for it and post it in its entirety on this forum.

One last thing: I realize the guide is taking a long time, and I'm well aware that people are anticipating its release. To those patiently waiting, again, I apologize for the wait, and look forward to releasing the best guide I can make for you. However, to those impatiently waiting, rudeness will not spur me to finish it faster, nor will anything else, as I'm doing this 100% voluntarily in what little free time I can spare. The release date on the guide is, to borrow a line from id Software, "When it's done," and if that annoys you, {That's too bad.} I'm sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but I would never ask anyone to prioritize any video game over their real life. All I ask is for that same courtesy.

Thanks again everyone for your patience and enthusiasm. Now if you'll excuse me, I have some typing to do.

Edited, Jun 14th 2012 12:06am by Pelamir
____________________________
Pelamir
Career PUP
Valefor
#45 Jun 14 2012 at 4:27 AM Rating: Good
*
87 posts
nice! the guide is close!
please don't misunderstand my excitement as to rush the guide, take all the time you need, FFXI isn't going anywhere any time soon >.> .

Edited, Jun 14th 2012 6:30am by Bhujerba
____________________________
The time-traveling is just too dangerous. Better that I devote myself to study the other great mystery of the universe: women.
#46 Jun 19 2012 at 8:10 AM Rating: Decent
23 posts
I would like to ask something, which may also be nice for guide.

Frame's + WS's; different maneuvers trigger different weaponskills.

Most speak for itself (valoredge frame =dark=cannibal blade etc) though i found that some maneuvers take priority over others. For instance fire+dark=cannibal, fire+fire+dark=chimera ripper. or Light + Dark does Bonecrusher i believe. Posting quick at work so forgive spelling errors in ws names.

Use this mostly when soloing pup in Dynamis. When u have no bst, pup/thf is ok option in dynamis. Rarely competition on WS trigger mobs, and all attachments, flash/voke/dispel/ws's trigger mobs. When a proc not happening doing a different weaponskill then already tried seemed to help for me.

So idk if anyone has such a list or if it would be possible to include in guide. But this is one of the things that still as a long time pup, can get to me sometimes.... how the @#$@# do i get string shredder with fire/dark/light or any other maneuver up for that matter. wind wind + 3rd random?
#47 Jun 19 2012 at 10:29 PM Rating: Excellent
The Great Pumpkin
*
54 posts
OOOFloW wrote:
I would like to ask something, which may also be nice for guide.

Frame's + WS's; different maneuvers trigger different weaponskills.

Most speak for itself (valoredge frame =dark=cannibal blade etc) though i found that some maneuvers take priority over others. For instance fire+dark=cannibal, fire+fire+dark=chimera ripper. or Light + Dark does Bonecrusher i believe. Posting quick at work so forgive spelling errors in ws names.

Use this mostly when soloing pup in Dynamis. When u have no bst, pup/thf is ok option in dynamis. Rarely competition on WS trigger mobs, and all attachments, flash/voke/dispel/ws's trigger mobs. When a proc not happening doing a different weaponskill then already tried seemed to help for me.

So idk if anyone has such a list or if it would be possible to include in guide. But this is one of the things that still as a long time pup, can get to me sometimes.... how the @#$@# do i get string shredder with fire/dark/light or any other maneuver up for that matter. wind wind + 3rd random?


Check out the Automaton Weapon Skills page on the wiki. Each weapon skill is associated with a manuever and the higher skill weaponskills are used if there are no maneuvers up (or no maneuvers associated with any weaponskill or if there's a tie). For you to get string shreadder you need to have a thunder maneuver up to beat any fire (chimera ripper), dark (cannibal blade), light (bone crusher) maneuvers you may have active. As you have noticed with 2x fire and a dark valoredge will use the lower skill chimera ripper because fire is chimera's deciding maneuver.

Edited, Jun 20th 2012 12:31am by Zijder
#48 Jun 20 2012 at 7:35 AM Rating: Good
23 posts
/bow

manuever + highest skill + tie, are what i need to keep eye on.

/facepalm so logical, and why i never bothered to look there -.-

thx
#49 Sep 18 2012 at 6:50 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
9,047 posts
Did this ever go anywhere? Sorry for the necro but noticed BG wiki was out-of-date and afraid to trust much that's out there given the situation. That is, "- All magic spells are on a universal timer (I.E Enfeebling and Healing magic share the same timer), which hinders an Automaton's support ability." this is no longer correct right? I thought I saw that changed recently....
____________________________
lolgaxe wrote:
When it comes to sitting around not doing anything for long periods of time, only being active for short windows, and marginal changes and sidegrades I'd say FFXI players were the perfect choice for politicians.

clicky
Necro Warning: This post occurred more than thirty days after the prior, and may be a necropost.
#51 Sep 19 2012 at 4:03 PM Rating: Excellent
The Great Pumpkin
*
54 posts
Olorinus wrote:
Did this ever go anywhere? Sorry for the necro but noticed BG wiki was out-of-date and afraid to trust much that's out there given the situation. That is, "- All magic spells are on a universal timer (I.E Enfeebling and Healing magic share the same timer), which hinders an Automaton's support ability." this is no longer correct right? I thought I saw that changed recently....


Right now ffxiclopedia is the most up to date on automaton related pages (mostly because I'm the only one updating them). Unfortunately due to an unplanned hiatus from the game right before the big AI update, I never got around to updating all the new AI stuff on each of the head pages. Soulsoother is done and after some quick testing, recast timers have been updated on the other head pages. Also the spell list is up to date on all the pages. I'll eventually get around to updating the AI sections for the other heads but for now there's just a disclaimer that the info is old.

If ffxiclopeda is not your favourite wiki please merge its pages with BG's or GE's (make sure any unique info is not lost on the destination wiki).

Edited, Sep 22nd 2012 6:16pm by Zijder
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (22)