Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

How often do YOU hit 11 on a roll with Lucky 5?Follow

#1 Apr 25 2009 at 12:53 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
219 posts
Last night I was partying for fast exp where we basically just burned the mob down. I was told to only maintain 2 rolls, Hunter's and Corsair's.

Midway through the grinding, I hit a 6 on Corsair's and I usually stay since I don't want less exp on a 9 or bust all together on a doubled up 6. However, I lagged as I was switching Macros and accidently doubled up anyways and out of sheer luck hit a 5 for a total 11.


I reflected on my lucky break and realized that it was my first 11 on Corsair's Roll. If I hit 5 I stay because it is Lucky, if I hit 6 I stay because I don't want to suffer a 33% chance of a worse result. However, those are the only 2 numbers that you can possibly hit an 11 on, which made me realize that you must be extremely bold to actually attempt to get an 11 when your lucky # is 5.


Corsair's, Thief's, and Evoker's all have similar Lucky/Unlucky results, and all are fairly useful. So how many times have you actually hit an 11 on any of those 3 rolls (hoping to get it)?
#2 Apr 25 2009 at 1:18 AM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,217 posts
You could also roll a 4, roll a 6, and then pop Snake Eye to make it an 11, but yeah.

I tend to hit on 6 unless I'm /COR or already have one bust.
#3 Apr 25 2009 at 7:31 AM Rating: Decent
Once you get fold and snake eye, you can finesse sixes more. Usually though I tend to save it for corsair's roll and stand on sixes for evokers. Cor roll i think it has the most impact to performance if you unlucky or bust, since its reducing exp gained.

I rarely get 11 on a 5/6 roll, usually its from 6s on things like chaos roll.
____________________________
Retired.
#4 Apr 25 2009 at 4:36 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,989 posts
I never stay on a 6; i merited fold and snake eye so i never had to :D
____________________________
Mep!
#5 Apr 25 2009 at 5:10 PM Rating: Default
****
5,159 posts
MrVashy wrote:
I never stay on a 6; i merited fold and snake eye so i never had to :D

You should on Evoker's.
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#6 Apr 25 2009 at 10:30 PM Rating: Decent
Carrilei wrote:
MrVashy wrote:
I never stay on a 6; i merited fold and snake eye so i never had to :D

You should on Evoker's.


what car said, although in my own words, why would you want a high chance at something crappier?
____________________________
CapnSpike of Lakshmi
AKA Captain Bloodbeard the Thievin Pirate
90 Cor - 90 Thf


"It is when pirates count their booty that they become mere thieves."
#7 Apr 26 2009 at 7:53 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,620 posts
Im not quite @ merit lvl on COR yet, so i don't have access to SE/Fold.

The only roll I stay on a 6 is Evokers, If I have a Bust up (Random Deal timer failed, or timer has'nt replenished), and I roll a 6 on anything else, i'll just suck the roll up.

I know there is another thread about the luck/unlucky steaks, but in my last 2 pty's, the 1st one, I had such bad luck. Chaos roll kept landing on 7's or 8's and hunters was'nt much better with 4 busts over the space of an hour.

The 2nd pty, There was a Brd presant, so I used Chaos/Cor's on the melee, and I was hitting pure lucky's and 11's. The phantom roll generator or w/e it is seemed to be in love with 4's,5's and 6's, and giving them me in my favour.

Gambling is part of being a Corsair, and the uber buffs come from rolling 11's. With Corsair's roll, going from a 6 to an 11 practically doubles the bonus everyone gets.
____________________________
Taking a break.
#8 Apr 26 2009 at 9:05 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,989 posts
Why should i stay on 6?

I don't care about the math of it; i'm a gambling man. I like rough odds.
____________________________
Mep!
#9 Apr 26 2009 at 4:06 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
299 posts
You know, there's not many better feelings than risking it on a 7 or 8and getting away with it. I'll give you that much. But risk/reward has to play a role in your roll :P.

Rolling a 6 on evokers is the worst risk/reward ratio of any roll of 6 imo. You have a 33% chance of getting a better roll and a 67% chance of an equal roll, a worse roll, or bust. On any other 6, your odds of a better roll are at worst 67% (and on stuff like sch roll or sam roll, you have an 84% chance of a better roll.

Evokers 6 gets you 2/tick. 7 and 8 do too. 9 gets you 1/tick. 10 3/tick and 11 5/tick I think Bust gets you nothing. Basically if you sit on 6 for evokers, you should never ever bust on it. That gives you one roll where busting isn't even an issue and allows you to be slightly more aggressive on your other 3 rolls (or 2 rolls or however many you got going). I have snake eye merited down to 5 minutes and fold at 15 mins (didn't see the point of going down to 5 when r.deal is a 20-min ability).
#10 Apr 26 2009 at 4:20 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,159 posts
MrVashy wrote:
Why should i stay on 6?

I don't care about the math of it; i'm a gambling man. I like rough odds.

The expected potency of Evoker's doesn't really get better Doubling-Up from 6.. To me, all you're doing is creating less reliable buffs and wasting time - not to mention negatively effecting your other rolls if you Bust. Even given all that though, it's not a horrible thing to hit on 6, I just don't think it the smartest move. I say if you wanna 'gamble,' do it on other rolls where it makes more sense mathematically.. But, just my humble opinion.
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#11 Apr 26 2009 at 5:16 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,989 posts
I know that the odds are against me; but nailing a 11 is one of the fun parts of COR. Nobody is gonna love me for hitting a 6; they want the 11's and only the 11's! If i bust then tough break; it's part of the uniqueness of COR. I'm a Bard+1 or a Bard-1 when it comes to buffs; they should accept that.

Don't you think its boring though bring math into the 'equation' for everything we do on FFXI? It's all about getting that extra 1-2% more damage, healing, accuracy - whatever. People can spend hours at length discussing these odds in an attempt to become a 'better player'. But when given the chance to have FUN and let fate decide rather than parsers I will.

(Besides, not many mages are gonna kick me for a little evokers slippage) :D
____________________________
Mep!
#12 Apr 26 2009 at 5:23 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
299 posts
Well, if you have fun playing the way you do, more power. I'm not knocking it. I won't never roll on an evokers 6 but only rarely do I feel compelled to do so. Evokers is usually the first roll in my cycle. Like i said, if I can guarantee I won't ever bust on it, I can be more aggressive on the subsequent rolls. It helps out a lot if it's an event and that second roll just happens to be SCH roll for the mages. I can't and won't let an unlucky 6 sit and I'd much rather takes my chances there. Then assuming I make it past that ok, I still have snake eye, fold etc for the two melee rolls.

It is fun to take risks and get that 11 when the odds weren't in your favor. On the other hand, it sucks to be handcuffed on rolls for several minutes because you lost fold or busted, or both. Again, if I have all my tools (seye, Fold, RDeal) at my disposal, I'll roll somewhat aggressively. If fold is gone, i'll be a little more conservative. If fold is gone and I have a bust on me, I will absolutely not risk that second bust.

Edited, Apr 26th 2009 9:24pm by TDGSW
#13 Apr 26 2009 at 5:29 PM Rating: Good
****
5,159 posts
MrVashy wrote:
Don't you think its boring though bring math into the 'equation' for everything we do on FFXI? It's all about getting that extra 1-2% more damage, healing, accuracy - whatever. People can spend hours at length discussing these odds in an attempt to become a 'better player'. But when given the chance to have FUN and let fate decide rather than parsers I will.

(Besides, not many mages are gonna kick me for a little evokers slippage) :D

No I agree mostly.. Hypothetically, if it was mathematically best to stay on every 6, COR would be a lot duller. But this is just one roll -granted one roll we're pretty much always using, but one of 3-4 nonetheless. Personally I get the most enjoyment from playing as best I can, or at least from thinking I am lol. A healthy mix of cerebral reasoning with a "fuck it, I'm doing this because I want to and it's fun" attitude once in a while is a good medium to me.

Don't turn FFXI into a giant math equation, but being informed and having that perspective can in some way add to your enjoyment. Or perhaps not, everyone's different.
____________________________
Corsair75
Pandemonium Asura...

ffxiah
#14 Apr 26 2009 at 10:34 PM Rating: Decent
****
7,899 posts
Why would you intentionally play stupid? Ignoring the math doesn't make it go away. Not only do you have a high chance at getting a worse roll from 6 evokers, but you also end up wasting your folds/random deals/snake eyes that you could have been using on more important rolls.

Hitting on 7 chaos is "gambling"; hitting on 6 evokers is just intentionally handicapping yourself.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 18 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (18)