Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Elemental Siphon cap and the version updateFollow

#1 Jul 25 2010 at 9:42 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
947 posts
So... when the level cap had increased, I was very excited to cap my summoning skill again and increase elemental siphon even further. However, for those who do not know, elemental siphon caps at 350 skill. That is, with neutral weather/day, 300 is the maximum you can siphon. And then, of course, +10/15/20/25/35% depending on day/weather.

Does this make anyone else kind of sad? To me, uncapped kind of seemed to make sense. As your level goes up, so does your mp pool. More and more to fill. It seemed natural for elemental siphon to go up. Convert doesn't have a cap on it, and as rdm and /rdm level even higher, their converts will only be bigger as their hp pool grows. Sublimation also gets a higher and higher cap as you level. So Elemental siphon is the only one gimped...

Another thing I've been thinking of... I do like the new blood pacts. I am glad they gave fenrir, diabolos, and carbuncle new tricks. However, my predator claws and level 5 wind blade and my level 5 heavenly strike destroy them. So really I'm just sticking to what I used to: Garuda. She's cheap, and effective.

Then perpetuation went up. This makes sense, because we leveled. Just makes you have to do trial of the magians if you want cheaper avatars (ie my free garuda with my bstaff and other gears was gone, so now I just finished -5 garuda staff). While this makes sense... it does kind of suck when you think about it that all other mage jobs don't see an increase in their spell cost or use, but we do. That's how summoner always has been, but it kind of ties in with my next point.

My summoning skill was capped at 75, and with all my +skills and stuff I was sitting at... 331 or 333 I believe. 3/3 Marduk head but didn't upgrade yet, and needed to throw in a few more merits. Now I've leveled, and I'm trying to cap again. I've been soloing skeletons in KRT and stuff just to try to cap skill. And the one joyous thing about skill going up regardless now caps at 350 skill. But now, my wards don't last as long, and my rages aren't as accurate because I am under the skill cap. My scholar didn't lose enfeebling or nuking accuracy when it leveled to 80, and my white mage didn't lose magic accuracy for repose. But summoner, again, is the one who loses out. These things just keep stacking...

I really love summoner, it's my favorite job, and I am happy with the avatars being stronger at 80... and having new blood pacts is nice even if I have better and won't really use them... But it kind of feels like summoner is kind of penalized for leveling up and has to work their *** off to get back to where they were, when everyone else either stays the same (sorry ninja) or gets a boost (hello dancer). The biggest thing I feel that my summoner got this update was convert from red mage sub, which all mages got, and to me that's kind of... sad.

How does everyone else feel about the update now?

Edited, Jul 2nd 2011 2:00pm by Annalise
#2 Jul 25 2010 at 1:37 PM Rating: Excellent
***
3,059 posts
SMN is a job that you fight SE's lack of attention and care every level of the way, if you play the job because you like it.

SE's done some stuff right, with changes to summoning skill, splitting BPs, and adding a few more pieces of gear we can actually use. But while their right hand is offering candy, their left hand is beating us with perpetuation, needing skill over cap, and now fantastically a capped Siphon (Can't be giving us too much MP, can we now.), and a generally flawed system for SMN in the first place.

I'll keep playing SMN in spite of SE, certainly not because of any sweeping changes they have done.
____________________________
"And I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore. If that doesn't work, then the hours upon hours of whining will." -Red Mage Statscowski

Saggo of Garuda Lakshmi
#3 Jul 26 2010 at 2:42 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,816 posts
Annalise wrote:
my level 5 heavenly strike...The biggest thing I feel that my summoner got this update was convert and to me that's kind of... sad.

What's sad to me, is someone with a capped Merit pact, ignoring +7 'Pet Magic Attack Bonus' within 5 levels.
5 Minute Hastega also disagrees with you.

BUT...While I partially understand your point... (That there isn't a reason to cap it)
I personally feel, it's wrong based on the logic you try to justify it with.

Your MP pool went up, yes.
But your MP spent did not.
So, despite the Cap on Ele Siphon, you didn't actually LOSE anything like you're trying to imply.
Any single MP more you gained from Ele Siphon now, is still an increase, and by mathematical calculations is an increase when compared to the mp spent, which remains constant.

In it's most simplistic form... Summoner has never been about Max MP(Odin is the exception), but always about the ratio of MP spent : recovered within a specific time frame that we consider a cycle.
____________________________
UNMUTED
#4 Jul 26 2010 at 8:03 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
947 posts
Quote:
What's sad to me, is someone with a capped Merit pact, ignoring +7 'Pet Magic Attack Bonus' within 5 levels.
5 Minute Hastega also disagrees with you.


I would have thought when I said:
Quote:
I really love summoner, it's my favorite job, and I am happy with the avatars being stronger at 80...


It would have covered that. I know that my avatars are hitting harder now, both physically and magically.
And I also know about (considering my thread about it was the first mention on here) and love the ward increase, which I did actually forget to mention in my first post.

Quote:
Your MP pool went up, yes.
But your MP spent did not.


So... Garuda didn't increase to 15 mp/tick at level 80 instead of 13 mp/tick? I'm pretty sure she costs more now to keep out. You need the magian staves to compensate for it.

Quote:
So, despite the Cap on Ele Siphon, you didn't actually LOSE anything like you're trying to imply.
Any single MP more you gained from Ele Siphon now, is still an increase, and by mathematical calculations is an increase when compared to the mp spent, which remains constant


Actually nitpicking, if you were at 350 skill prior to the update (which was possible with normal base of 346 with merits and bstaff, but 350 skill if you instead used a mythic pole with +9 skill) you are actually gaining less mp, because spirit perpetuation went up by 3 compared to level 80.

And I never said summoner lost anything. Since all bonuses are for skill over the cap, you have to recap your skill at 80 to have the exact same skill over the cap that you had at 75. I was saying that summoner has to work skilling summoning skill (which is a pain compared to enfeebling, dark, divine, elemental, etc) to be back at where they were. That 25 skill you got from going from 75 to 80? Yeah, that's just going to help you with elemental siphon. But oh, that's capped now. It's not an additional 25 skill for ward duration, or for rage accuracy. That 25 enfeebling skill that my WHM got? That's an additional 25 magic accuracy (or 25 x 0.9 considering the claims on macc). THAT is the difference.

My point, which you apparently missed, is that if elemental siphon is capped for pretty much everyone at level 80, what good are more levels going to do for your summoning skill? Nothing. If anything, it's going to hinder you if you don't have it capped. So you get to grind to try to recap it with every level.

And yeah, I am happy our avatars got stronger, but so did everyone else, so in that respect it kind of balances out and doesn't really show that much. I was in dynamis valkurm on sunday, and decided to play with free fenrir. I was doing 1200 - 1500 (double weather) Lunar bays at 0 tp on manticores (Because I wouldn't use wind blade on them, and fenrir is 4/tick cheaper than shiva) and had a hard enough time getting the blood pact off because the level 80 melee were killing the mobs so quickly. And we only had like 20 people. Oh, and alexander made the malboro boss laughable for the record.

Quote:

In it's most simplistic form... Summoner has never been about Max MP(Odin is the exception), but always about the ratio of MP spent : recovered within a specific time frame that we consider a cycle.


I also realize that. This is why I care about the perpetuaton cost of avatars going up. This is why I will use things like wizard cookies instead of pies and marron glace. This is why at 75 I was all over /sch, especially if I could aspir things. This is why I care about things like elemental siphon and convert. This is why I was sad that accession didn't work with haste for my whm so I could instantly cast my haste cycle (for cheaper) and then take a knee. This is why my summoner will often hastega in a party setting if I'm with a single rdm or whm so they have a lot more time to rest their mp. Max MP was 2005. Max mp comes most into concern though with convert, which summoner now has access to, however your mp is likely far higher than your hp so it really isn't even an issue on summoner.
#5Enilanerda, Posted: Jul 27 2010 at 1:33 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) You can quote train all you like. I'm not talking about avatars natural progression through leveling up, I was referring to the new +7MaB available in gear for pets. My main point, was to laugh at someone complaining about 5-15mp every 5 minutes, at the same time SE allowed you access to over 1000mp every 10 minutes.
#6 Jul 27 2010 at 4:29 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
Quote:
My main point, was to laugh at someone complaining about 5-15mp every 5 minutes, at the same time SE allowed you access to over 1000mp every 10 minutes.


Isn't that what we've complained about since day one though? That all the "good" things about Summoner, comes from their sub job. The bad things are natively.

The job really should have gotten native spells like sleep, refresh, cure. That or BPs you could actually use as freely as normal mages. I know there are hate issues, but I'd like to hear whoever thinks a cure III every 60 seconds is balanced due to hate generation of cure III. If anything the healing ruby BP should be 10 seconds recast due to cheap MP. But certainly not 60 seconds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Summoner is a job that has access to all subs on their main job, for 1 spell/ability a minute. But for some reason you can't main heal with 1 cure a minute. You can't debuff a mob with 1 debuff a minute. You can't chain mobs with 1 rage a minute. (Though that is more about MP in the end). You can barely buff a party with a 1 minute recast on buffs... the flaw there is that they last 1.5 min before ridiculous over cap extensions. Try having 30 seconds duration songs, boosted by skill over cap, and see if anyone would ever party with BRD.

MP cost down
Recast timer down
Duration up
Job fixed

It is that simple. Takes 10 minutes tops to do. And is 10 years too late.
#7 Jul 27 2010 at 10:16 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
947 posts
Quote:
You can quote train all you like. I'm not talking about avatars natural progression through leveling up, I was referring to the new +7MaB available in gear for pets. My main point, was to laugh at someone complaining about 5-15mp every 5 minutes, at the same time SE allowed you access to over 1000mp every 10 minutes.

Like I said, I agree it's pointless to cap, but your post complaining about it, is far more laughable than SE's cap in the first place. Jussayin.


Actually it's 9 MAB. And I didn't complain about gear. I am well aware it is there, and I am looking forward to stacking it onto my MAB merits, my 7 mab body, and my level 5 bloodpacts.

And yeah, we got convert. I said it was good in my initial post. I didn't ignore the fact that we got it. Do you read?

And the comparsion between an elemental siphon capped at 350 skill, and an elemental siphon uncapped at 99 will be a much bigger difference than just 5-15 mp.

I see why so many people dislike both the summoner forums and you.
#8 Jul 28 2010 at 3:02 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,180 posts
smn and nin are due for a juicy, juicy update. smn overdue, in fact.
____________________________
Louverance: You should spend your next life as a friar, my friend!
Later...
Meransarget: Oh, herro there.
#9 Jul 28 2010 at 4:08 PM Rating: Good
zellbaca wrote:
smn and nin are due for a juicy, juicy update. smn overdue, in fact.


I don't think we should really expect anything at this point.
____________________________
Nateypoo wrote:
What college did you go to? Clown or barber?
Be sure to report your findings to the no child left behind committee.
Corsairs are secretly just Marilyn Manson wannabes.
Tyrrant wrote:
BelenosSwiftWater wrote:
I blame spicyryan
I blame his ***** of a mother who didn't abort him.
#10 Jul 28 2010 at 5:28 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
SE certainly doesn't seem to know what they are doing.

Melee -> free super haste set.

Summoner -> Well, -1 perpetuation pants SOMEWHERE hidden in the game. Try and find it if you can!

Could we at least get our essential gear as obvious and simple as other jobs do?
#11 Jul 29 2010 at 1:54 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,816 posts
Annalise wrote:
I see why so many people dislike both the summoner forums and you.

They dislike this forum, because it's full of people like you, who cry and complain constantly.

They dislike me, cuz I'm a f*!#ing @$&hole.
The difference is, I know where I stand and I own it.

Peace

Edited, Jul 29th 2010 12:54am by Enilanerda
____________________________
UNMUTED
#12 Jul 29 2010 at 9:53 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,213 posts
Enilanerda wrote:
They dislike this forum, because it's full of people like you, who cry and complain constantly.

They dislike me, cuz I'm a f*!#ing @$&hole.
The difference is, I know where I stand and I own it.

Peace

@$&holes are like opinions, everyone has one.
____________________________
Pergatory (Asura, Kupo LS) WHM99 ~ SMN99 ~ DRK99
"If you want to know me, look inside your heart." -Lao Tzu
#13 Jul 30 2010 at 10:33 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
***
1,181 posts
New BPs are nice but nothing to replace PClaws/fully merited BPs, still nice to have potent dark/light BPs with avatars who previously had lack-luster top tier BPs.

Completely ignoring the potential flame war, I agree with Mellowy that a few simple tweaks and SMN would be pretty spiffy, namely:
-Recast timer down

This a million times yes; a 'charge-based' BP timer would be absolutely brilliant, along the lines of 1min per charge, 5 charges (or 2, which increases like SCHs Stratagems)

This would give us more strategy in playing the job, and allow BP delay- items to remain pretty awesome (especially because of the hardcap of 45 seconds which prevents potential charge abuse). Plus we would be useful in zerg type fights, being able to pop off 4x Merit BPs in quick succession (at a cost of ~680MP and all our charges)

SE kind of did it with BP:Rage/Ward all those years ago, but unfortunately it was like most of SE's ideas about SMN; half-baked.

____________________________
Kegsay - 85SMN/85BLU/85SCH
Goldsmithing-60, Cooking-61, Synergy-60
Shaded Specs Obtained 20 June 2005

http://kegsay.livejournal.com/
#14 Jul 30 2010 at 5:56 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
947 posts
Quote:
They dislike this forum, because it's full of people like you, who cry and complain constantly.

They dislike me, cuz I'm a f*!#ing @$&hole.
The difference is, I know where I stand and I own it.

Peace


Usually I don't 'cry and complain', usually I just answer people's questions or post something I discovered which doesn't seem common (ie when I noticed hastega was changed). Was just annoyed thinking "with the uncapped hastega, I was max at 75, and now I have to work my *** off skilling summoning magic back up at 80 to get back to max again, when other jobs never have to do something like that". Spent awhile (hours) soloing imps in caedarva, and skeletons in KRT, and still not capped. Maybe the monthly payment in blood also attributed to my crankiness? I don't know.

And I was a bit harsh before, and I apologize. I actually have seen a lot of your posts before, and never had anything against you (and I think I remember everyone hating craftermath?). And I found your killing ifrit posts quite useful if I remember correctly. So, I apologize for what I said before. You don't have to accept it or anything, just throwing it out there.

Quote:
New BPs are nice but nothing to replace PClaws/fully merited BPs, still nice to have potent dark/light BPs with avatars who previously had lack-luster top tier BPs.

Completely ignoring the potential flame war, I agree with Mellowy that a few simple tweaks and SMN would be pretty spiffy, namely:
-Recast timer down

This a million times yes; a 'charge-based' BP timer would be absolutely brilliant, along the lines of 1min per charge, 5 charges (or 2, which increases like SCHs Stratagems)

This would give us more strategy in playing the job, and allow BP delay- items to remain pretty awesome (especially because of the hardcap of 45 seconds which prevents potential charge abuse). Plus we would be useful in zerg type fights, being able to pop off 4x Merit BPs in quick succession (at a cost of ~680MP and all our charges)

SE kind of did it with BP:Rage/Ward all those years ago, but unfortunately it was like most of SE's ideas about SMN; half-baked.


And that actually sounds like a really good idea. Kind of like Ready on beastmaster, as well (and quick draw of course but I mean beast being another pet job). I love ready on my beast, though I think 'ready' would be bad on summoner (if they made it more than one charge for high level bloodpacts). So yeah scholar charges would be good. I like the charge system, only job I haven't got to play with as much that uses it is COR.
#15 Aug 01 2010 at 5:51 PM Rating: Good
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
I'm against charges like SCH and COR.

I'm for action specific recasts like DNC.

Considering SE though, they'll just ignore my superior opinion and go with the other choice. (And the reason my opinion is superior is that it allows you to use moves like healing ruby when needed, and not just allow you to use it 5 times and then you are out of charges and back to a 45 second recast timer for life (until party takes a break))
#16 Aug 01 2010 at 10:41 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
947 posts
Quote:
I'm against charges like SCH and COR.

I'm for action specific recasts like DNC.

Considering SE though, they'll just ignore my superior opinion and go with the other choice. (And the reason my opinion is superior is that it allows you to use moves like healing ruby when needed, and not just allow you to use it 5 times and then you are out of charges and back to a 45 second recast timer for life (until party takes a break))


I was thinking recasts like that too... like healing ruby 1 -> 10 second recast or something. Healing Ruby 2 longer recast... but the high level things would probably end up just giving you a long recast anyways, and it'd only really be that great for main healing with carbuncle.

The charges, you would build while resting mp, which is a plus. And you can also bust off those charges on a boss quickly, which is also nice. I just think if they did charges it should be separate, like dancer timers on flourishes and stuff. Rage charges and Ward charges.
#17 Aug 03 2010 at 2:32 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
801 posts
With our luck, SE would monkey up a charge system and then we'd all say it was broken. If summons learned all their moves at the same levels it would be easy to just bracket the number of charges needed for the moves by level, but there are only a few points where you see multiple moves learned at the same level (magic tiers, BP70's, merit BP's, etc). They'd have to evaluate the intermediate moves and group them into tiers and crud, only to get it wrong in the eyes of the playerbase. Not saying its not worth doing, just worried about how it would be implemented.

The most logical thing would have been to just originally treat them all as individual spells with their own casting/recasting times, just like they did with BLU spells. For building the logic to determine when the moves are available, it could have been modeled after the SCH system--each avatar would be like a seperate grimoire that is opened when that avatar is summoned. Could have opened up some nice possibilities for SMN if they had done this in the beginning--SMN could have gotten some sort of defensive/recovery abilities/magic native to the main job so they didn't have to depend so much on avatars or subjobs. It's nice to dream.....

Raist
#18 Sep 03 2010 at 5:42 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
947 posts
They just changed like everything I complained about in here... I love you SE!
#19 Sep 03 2010 at 6:47 AM Rating: Excellent
**
846 posts
Every change has made me happy, I just wonder if they are taking away the 2 mp perp they added last update or reducing it more. I would love to use a high dmg staff, without having to spend 2 more mp/tick to have my avatar out.
____________________________
85 WAR SMN DRK BLU NIN
#20 Sep 03 2010 at 12:17 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
801 posts
While I do appreciate them reducing the 76-80 perp. nerf...I'm not holding my breath that it's going to be anything major.

They specified it for 76+ SMN, which leaves me to think it's either just removing one of the bumps (maybe spreading them out across both limit caps). Or maybe we'll pick up a trait that reduces perp. somehow other than just Favour, or perhaps in conjunction with Favour, or they're adding new gears more readily obtainable. So many paths they could follow for this level range, who knows what they have in store.

But at least they did throw us a bone so we know that SOMETHING is coming so we can breath a sigh of relief finally. Also nice to know that the 4000+ mobs I've killed so far for 4 of the -5 perp staves may actually prove to benefit me rather than just reset me now.

Raist
#21 Sep 03 2010 at 12:43 PM Rating: Excellent
**
444 posts
A trait would be nice methinks.
I mean after 75 levels and countless summon>release>summon you'd think we'd get some form of "Summoning master" or something.

I don't care tho, as long as they fix it. The price is too high and it goes against the entire "we want summoners to keep their pet out longer blabla" old issue.

Or maybe they just forgot about that /shrug.
#22 Sep 03 2010 at 1:12 PM Rating: Good
****
4,213 posts
Eeri wrote:
I don't care tho, as long as they fix it. The price is too high and it goes against the entire "we want summoners to keep their pet out longer blabla" old issue.

The problem is that they could eliminate perp costs altogether and I'll bet Summoners still generally wouldn't leave their avatars out. Sure there may be situations where they are just fooling around and would leave it out, just like now, but avatar melee in its current form will never do more damage than BP & release. Even the merit BPs which benefit from TP, you can only do so many of those before you run out of MP and need to rest. At that point, resting is more beneficial than leaving your avatar out and waiting for MP to refresh enough for another BP. The avatar melee damage, and the damage boost from TP, is minuscule compared to the benefit offered by 30 seconds of resting followed by a BP.

I still keep coming back to my age-old suggestion: Keep perpetuation as-is and let Summoners rest with their avatar out. This is the only way to truly let avatars stay out in most scenarios without drastically changing the way SMN works. Either that or feeding us so much MP that we can literally leave our avatar out and spam BPs indefinitely without needing to rest... which seems to be the direction they may be leaning toward but in my opinion would kind of take something away from the job. I like that SMN has to juggle so many priorities; it makes the job challenging. We shouldn't be able to have our cake and eat it too. It shouldn't be impossible to run out of MP, and unless that's the case, resting to recover MP for more BPs will always be more beneficial than just leaving the avatar out.
____________________________
Pergatory (Asura, Kupo LS) WHM99 ~ SMN99 ~ DRK99
"If you want to know me, look inside your heart." -Lao Tzu
#23 Sep 03 2010 at 5:49 PM Rating: Good
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
Quote:
I still keep coming back to my age-old suggestion: Keep perpetuation as-is and let Summoners rest with their avatar out. This is the only way to truly let avatars stay out in most scenarios without drastically changing the way SMN works. Either that or feeding us so much MP that we can literally leave our avatar out and spam BPs indefinitely without needing to rest... which seems to be the direction they may be leaning toward but in my opinion would kind of take something away from the job. I like that SMN has to juggle so many priorities; it makes the job challenging. We shouldn't be able to have our cake and eat it too. It shouldn't be impossible to run out of MP, and unless that's the case, resting to recover MP for more BPs will always be more beneficial than just leaving the avatar out.


That won't work because perpetuation gear and resting gear are separate. You'd end up resting with hMP gear for 60 MP per 10 seconds, while having perpetuation of 15 MP per 3 seconds, putting you at 60 gained and 45 lost, making you barely even. (I sure wouldn't want to rest back 1k MP with 20 MP per tick)

Also it would be the same as getting a new JA stance that sets perpetuation to zero, but petrifies you.

Removing perpetuation is a much better idea, since it then follows naturally that you can rest MP. It would mean you can deal medium damage for free, rest back MP to BP for high damage. Basically a melee job who melee for medium damage and WS for spike.
#24 Sep 03 2010 at 10:35 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
947 posts
Quote:

That won't work because perpetuation gear and resting gear are separate. You'd end up resting with hMP gear for 60 MP per 10 seconds, while having perpetuation of 15 MP per 3 seconds, putting you at 60 gained and 45 lost, making you barely even. (I sure wouldn't want to rest back 1k MP with 20 MP per tick)


Beak +1, Qiqirn+1, antivenom + clear mind V + wizard cookie
in all -perp gear still results in 40 - whatever your perp is (my garuda being 0), which can be even higher if dark element avatar, non garuda/weather head, hmp back, grip, relaxing, star ring, legs, etc

Yeah it pales in comparison to full out hMP gear but it's not entirely terrible

However, with max bloodpact usage you only get in 3 ticks between bps... With refresh and a decent build it'd kinda cover the mp sink

Can always gear swap crazy too and hMP only on the ticks
#25 Sep 07 2010 at 9:25 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,213 posts
This isn't even optimal, just what I have right now:

Pluto's Staff (hmp +10)
Ariesian Grip(hmp +1)
Selenian Cap (hmp +3)
Eidolon Pendant (hmp +4)
Magnetic Earring (hmp +1)
Relaxing Earring (hmp +2)
Yinyang Robe (perp -1 effectively)
Nashira Gages (perp -1)
Evoker's Ring (perp -1)
Star Ring (hmp +1)
Cortege Cape (hmp +2)
Austerity Belt (hmp +4)
Yigit Seraweels (hmp +2)
Evoker's Pigaches +1 (perp -1)

Gives 10mp/tick perp cost, which is 30mp per resting tick. Gives hmp+30 from equipment. So those two cancel right there and you are left with the equivalent of resting naked with no avatar out (minus the tick of auto refresh you'd get). Should leave you starting at 39 MP per tick, I think, without food. Rest 3 ticks between BPs and that's 126 MP.

I'd say it's better than standing there picking your nose between BPs.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 8:26am by Pergatory
____________________________
Pergatory (Asura, Kupo LS) WHM99 ~ SMN99 ~ DRK99
"If you want to know me, look inside your heart." -Lao Tzu
#26 Sep 07 2010 at 10:20 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
Quote:
I'd say it's better than standing there picking your nose between BPs.


I don't think there is any suggestion except "raise perpetuation" that would possibly make the situation worse though. So you have dozens of solutions to make it better.
#27 Sep 07 2010 at 4:22 PM Rating: Good
****
4,213 posts
Mellowy wrote:
Quote:
I'd say it's better than standing there picking your nose between BPs.


I don't think there is any suggestion except "raise perpetuation" that would possibly make the situation worse though. So you have dozens of solutions to make it better.

There are plenty of solutions proposed but they all approach from the angle of giving us more MP or consuming less MP, and I think that's a flawed approach to begin with.

What they need is a solution to the fact that avatar melee simply sucks. It doesn't matter if it's expensive or free, it sucks. If they really want us to leave avatars out, changes to our MP consumption are not the way to address it. They either need to make avatar melee more powerful (to make them more competitive with all the acc/atk/str/dex that melees can pile on), more rewarding (like better benefit from TP, or favors that are worth a ****), or allow us to do other useful things while the avatar melees at the same time (like resting or meleeing).

We can currently melee, and in my opinion this approach to keeping your avatars out works great right now. It has a bit of a stigma attached, and that's unfortunate, but for anything where a SMN can safely get into melee range it tends to work just fine in terms of letting you keep your avatar out. You have little reason not to, because you wouldn't otherwise be resting; and the extra MP from Spirit Taker makes the MP issue moot. It is, however, one of the only viable reasons to leave avatars out in party play. Against any difficult enemies, leaving an avatar out is utterly inexcusable; each swing gives the enemy 11.3 TP and that adds up fast. That won't change simply by reducing our perp cost, or giving us bigger Elemental Siphons.

Having said that, resting with an avatar out doesn't address the issue of feeding TP to the target. It does, however, address the issue of leaving an avatar out for minimal damage; and it does so in a way that doesn't just feed Summoner so much MP they might as well leave their avatar out. It forces them to give up something in exchange for that MP; namely, the option to melee or cast support job spells. If they want to focus 100% on Summoner, they can rest, stand up & BP, then rest again. It's basically BP & release without the release part.

Edited, Sep 7th 2010 3:25pm by Pergatory
____________________________
Pergatory (Asura, Kupo LS) WHM99 ~ SMN99 ~ DRK99
"If you want to know me, look inside your heart." -Lao Tzu
#28 Sep 08 2010 at 12:50 AM Rating: Excellent
***
3,059 posts
I'd rather they upped avatar accuracy and either base damage or TP multiplier. I'd rather an incentive to leave them out rather than a "might as well."

As for meleeing, we have a precarious combination of a PUP mindset on equips with a mage's selection in gear. I wish they'd put us on more things like Spurrer Beret.
____________________________
"And I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore. If that doesn't work, then the hours upon hours of whining will." -Red Mage Statscowski

Saggo of Garuda Lakshmi
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 7 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (7)