Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Gear question?Follow

#1 Oct 09 2009 at 7:25 AM Rating: Decent
**
311 posts
So considering taking up SMN, but had a few quick questions. As far as gear go, outside of MND for curing, what are the main stats that I need to build for? I don't have a whole lot of knowledge on mage jobs, but like for BLM, I know you want things like INT, MAB, MACC, Elemental Skill, etc...

SMN is a bit of a mystery to me as far as what to build for. Have done a little research on Wiki, so I have a very small general idea of what I'll need (MP, MP, MP, Summoning Skill, Blood Pact delay and Perp. cost), but is there anything else?

Thanx in advance.
____________________________
75+ DRG/BLU/DRK/MNK/SMN ~ 75 THF/SAM

Bastok: 10 ~~ Assault/Nyzul: Captain/100
ZM: Done ~~ ACP: Done
CoP: Done ~~ AMK: Done
ToAU: Done ~~ ASA: Done
WotG: 27 ~~ Campaign: Medal of Altana $$$$

Server: Ramuh
LS: Latent
#2Mellowy, Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 8:05 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) At 66, you need STR, MND, INT, attack and accuracy. THF sub would be quite recommendable at that level as well for a bigger MP return.
#3 Oct 09 2009 at 8:43 AM Rating: Excellent
*
183 posts
You should also consider trading in a few keys to the Tenshodo Coffer, you can get some decent pet gear that way. The gear isn't so great that you would want to wear it fulltime, but it is definitely worthy of macroing in for Bloodpacts. You could also try getting the Herder's Subligar from locked chests in Sauromugue Champaign - also useful for BP's.

Edited, Oct 9th 2009 12:48pm by Squintik
#4 Oct 09 2009 at 8:52 AM Rating: Excellent
****
4,203 posts
For summoning itself, there are very little in terms of meaningful stats. Summoning skill can affect your Blood Pacts, if you are above the skill cap for your level (meaning you have both capped skill and equipment that further enhances skill beyond the cap). Aside from that, the only thing which will affect your BPs are stats that explicitly say "Pet: stat+". For example, like Squintik mentioned, a lot of the mini-expansion rewards can have pet stats. Ivory Key (which you get from ACP mission 7) can reward a multitude of great pet earrings, giving things like Pet: Accuracy, Pet: Magic Accuracy, etc. Items like this are few and far between, and most often come from either augmented items or artifact/relic armor. Also pick up an Evoker's Ring ASAP once you hit 71. Outside those items, generally the best you can do is, like you said, MP, skill, BP delay, perp cost. Also, DO NOT FORGET HMP. Being able to recover MP faster while resting is extremely important for SMN.
____________________________
Pergatory (Asura, Kupo LS) WHM99 ~ SMN99 ~ DRK99
"If you want to know me, look inside your heart." -Lao Tzu
#5 Oct 09 2009 at 12:49 PM Rating: Decent
**
311 posts
Yeah, already have some HMP gear from my BLU. Another quick question... Obviously BLM is pretty much the staple main nuking job, but how does SMN compare?

See, I have a friend that swears that some day I will level BLM... Never much cared for mage jobs, but getting to a point where I kind of need one. My BLU can pull off some pretty surprising breath attacks, but the range sucks. There is no way I'm going to let this friend be right about me leveling BLM (I'd never hear the end of it), which is why I'm looking into SMN.

I have all DD jobs to this point, but wanted something (besides BLM) that would allow me to be more helpful in MB only events. Thought about SCH, but didn't want to basically be a WHM for my first 70 levels.

Also, SMN/THF at 66? Really? Are you talking for like meleeing in Campaign or something?

Edited, Oct 9th 2009 4:51pm by MinscandBoo
____________________________
75+ DRG/BLU/DRK/MNK/SMN ~ 75 THF/SAM

Bastok: 10 ~~ Assault/Nyzul: Captain/100
ZM: Done ~~ ACP: Done
CoP: Done ~~ AMK: Done
ToAU: Done ~~ ASA: Done
WotG: 27 ~~ Campaign: Medal of Altana $$$$

Server: Ramuh
LS: Latent
#6Mellowy, Posted: Oct 09 2009 at 1:48 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) SMN/THF is for solo, farming among other things. It is also the best combo for parties where you aren't main healing (but I'm not sure you'll ever get any of those). Because a SMN not healing is useless if they aren't instead meleeing.
#7 Oct 09 2009 at 1:52 PM Rating: Good
****
4,203 posts
MinscandBoo wrote:
Yeah, already have some HMP gear from my BLU. Another quick question... Obviously BLM is pretty much the staple main nuking job, but how does SMN compare?

It doesn't, really. The thing about SMN is that it's not a specialist at all, not in any respect. It is in fact the most versatile job in the game, it can do damage decently well, but not as well as ANY dedicated DD (even the lower ones like a poorly equipped THF or DRG). It can buff decently, but not nearly as well as jobs like BRD or COR. It can heal decently, but not nearly as well as jobs like WHM, RDM, or SCH. It can even tank decently, but not nearly as well as jobs like PLD, WAR, NIN. So if you're leveling SMN to fill one particular gap, then you are leveling the wrong job. The only thing SMN does better than any other job is: EYE CANDY! We have some of the most beautiful effects in the entire game, even better than BLM.

In terms of a raw comparison between BLM & SMN, SMN's strongest advantage is in being able to do hate-free damage. However, tanks these days can generate so much enmity that this usually isn't a concern. A BLM can often drop damage way faster than a SMN can and still not pull hate, so SMN doesn't really stand up to BLM in terms of damage output unless the mobs are resistant to magic.

However, it sounds like you're more interested in SMN as a job that isn't useless in manaburn situations, rather than being comparable to BLM in terms of function. SMN can fill a good role in manaburn, because SMN's magic buffs are actually comparable to real buffs from say a BRD or COR. Dream Shroud rocks, and on a low moon phase Ecliptic Growl can be very nice for mages too. Also if there's a COR in the party, SMN will make their Evoker's Roll stronger. Plus on top of these things, you can deal significant low-risk damage. So if you're just looking for something that can be useful in a manaburn scenario, SMN can fill that role. Just don't expect to be dealing the same kind of damage BLMs are doing.

MinscandBoo wrote:
Also, SMN/THF at 66? Really? Are you talking for like meleeing in Campaign or something?

He means meleeing in exp. INT & MND are both mods for Spirit Taker, which you can obtain at Lv66. This assumes you can find a party that'll let you do it, though. Sadly most invites you get will be to fill support/healing roles.
____________________________
Pergatory (Asura, Kupo LS) WHM99 ~ SMN99 ~ DRK99
"If you want to know me, look inside your heart." -Lao Tzu
#8 Oct 09 2009 at 2:38 PM Rating: Decent
**
311 posts
Yeah, figured SMN would in no way out nuke a BLM. Mostly just wanted something that could decently nuke from a distance should the need be there. Like I said, I can get some pretty good breath attacks on BLU, but I usually find myself having to be too close to the mob and end up taking damage. Considering HP is a breath attack's modifier, not the best idea to take damage on BLU. :p

Thank you all for the advice.
____________________________
75+ DRG/BLU/DRK/MNK/SMN ~ 75 THF/SAM

Bastok: 10 ~~ Assault/Nyzul: Captain/100
ZM: Done ~~ ACP: Done
CoP: Done ~~ AMK: Done
ToAU: Done ~~ ASA: Done
WotG: 27 ~~ Campaign: Medal of Altana $$$$

Server: Ramuh
LS: Latent
#9 Oct 10 2009 at 9:52 AM Rating: Default
***
1,233 posts
merited pacts, specifically fully merited ones, often pull in numbers similar to am2. non bursted, non tp'd 5/5 wind blades will put up 1100-1200 against fafnir, with minimum mab from gear and merits. most blm will put out 1200-1300+.

i am currently at 2/5 mab merits, being the only mab i have for my pacts. it is possible, without getting nirvana, to get at least +27 mab, or about a 27% increase in damage. so considering a 5/5 windblade's base is about 1100 damage to fafnir, it becomes 1397 with full mab, and 1617 with full mab and nirvana.

actually, absolute peak to fafnir, if my math is correct, is 2277 damage with the following situations:
5/5 windblade, no tp, which could skew it further!
27 mab from gear and merits
20 mab from nirvana
20 mab from astral pot
30% bonus due to MB.
10% bonus due to day.

Edited, Oct 10th 2009 2:17pm by frodnonnag

Edited, Oct 10th 2009 2:18pm by frodnonnag
____________________________
smn 75: nirvana 4900/30000 alexandrite, 2/3 trophys, 51/101 assaults, 150/150 nyzul isle, 100/100 einherjar.
I had thought it was LttP>LA>LoZ>LoZ2>OoT>MM and then WW and TP were supposed to be like... alternate universes or something. Or it might not matter, because it's a goddamn video game about a 4'5" elf saving an eternal cocktease.
#10 Oct 10 2009 at 12:52 PM Rating: Default
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
Quote:
it is possible, without getting nirvana, to get at least +27 mab, or about a 27% increase in damage.


It won't be 27% increase of the damage you are seeing, because avatars have native MAB (don't recall which amount). I.e. it won't be base*nativeMAB*1.27, but rather base*(nativeMAB+0.27).
#11 Oct 10 2009 at 10:14 PM Rating: Good
**
852 posts
For "textbook" SMN (Blood Pacts + healing), MP is king, and choosing equipment prior to 70 is pretty straightforward:

- Austere set
- AF pants/feet/head
- Carbuncle Mitts
- Elemental staves

Other than that, the general rule is to choose whichever piece gives the most MP for each slot. Pieces with -enmity are also useful for soloing and healing. You'll also want a resting set for MP recovery (Dark Staff, Baron's Slops, etc.)

Once you get to 70, there are more options in endgame gear, but by that time you should be able to make your own informed gear choices. ^.^

Mellowy's advice is directed toward melee SMN, which unfortunately I have never explored so I have no advice other than to agree with INT/MND for Spirit Taker. (Mellowy, can you please explain your choice of THF subjob for melee SMN over WAR, NIN, SAM, etc.? Having never taken a non-mage job past 20, I'm somewhat melee challenged...)


Edit: Oh, if you're looking for a nuking job to compare with BLM, perhaps you might take SCH out for a spin.

Edited, Oct 11th 2009 3:16am by Nupinu
____________________________
[ffxisig]49934[/ffxisig]

SMN 90 | BLM 90 | WHM 83
twitter.com/nupinu
It rubs the fewell on its skin or else it gets the thwack again.

Thydonon wrote:
SMN is just epic in it's scope. You gain fame in all cities to have their avatars. When others finish ToAU, they get toys; you get gods.
#12 Oct 11 2009 at 7:28 AM Rating: Default
**
316 posts
Quote:
Obviously BLM is pretty much the staple main nuking job, but how does SMN compare?


Damage wise, BLM wins over SMN (unless magic resistant).

However, SMN got its advantage - hate free. I have both BLM and SMN and both are used in sea heavily (BLM rules in sea). For example, we can do JoF with 5 while others farming other stuff - 3 SMN, 1 RDM (for gravity and refresh and cure), 1 Bard or Cor. This is where I see SMN works better than any other jobs because you can basically totally avoid that AoE petry move and aga. We also SMN burned JoT sometimes.

Where SMN shines, it's really great. However, BLM is more widely used than SMN at endgame, I have to say that.
____________________________
Virtual Wandering
#13 Oct 13 2009 at 1:57 PM Rating: Decent
**
311 posts
Well, I don't NEED to match or beat BLM in nukes, but so long as I can come somewhat close I'll be happy. Gear looks pretty straight forward, but I do have one other question concerning merits. Looking to make a pure nuking SMN. I have 6 (almost 7) DDs, so I pretty covered physically. So does the following look right?

Avatar Magical Acc: 5
Avatar Magical Att: 5

Then go 5/5 on 2 of the merited Avatar moves (looking at Heavenly Strike and Thunderstorm so that I cover both light and dark sides)? Ice and thunder seem to be the 2 BLM get the most use out of, so figured those would be the way to go.
____________________________
75+ DRG/BLU/DRK/MNK/SMN ~ 75 THF/SAM

Bastok: 10 ~~ Assault/Nyzul: Captain/100
ZM: Done ~~ ACP: Done
CoP: Done ~~ AMK: Done
ToAU: Done ~~ ASA: Done
WotG: 27 ~~ Campaign: Medal of Altana $$$$

Server: Ramuh
LS: Latent
#14 Oct 13 2009 at 3:16 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,059 posts
MinscandBoo wrote:
Looking to make a pure nuking SMN.

Problem with that is our magical BPs aren't always the most efficient. I'd say if you're truly looking to round yourself out with your 7 melee DD jobs, level BLM or SCH. SMN's true strength is our oft overlooked avatar versatility. But you picked SMN for whatever reason, so ok.

MinscandBoo wrote:
Avatar Magical Acc: 5
Avatar Magical Att: 5

You won't go wrong with that. But consider that our magical BPs are heavily influenced by TP. Even with max merits, you need 120% TP to max damage. Try 5 Physical Accuracy and 5 Magical Attack. The accuracy is for building TP quicker, especially since summoning skill only affects BPs and not melee swings.
____________________________
"And I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore. If that doesn't work, then the hours upon hours of whining will." -Red Mage Statscowski

Saggo of Garuda Lakshmi
#15 Oct 13 2009 at 4:15 PM Rating: Decent
**
311 posts
MinscandBoo wrote:
Quote:
I have a friend that swears that some day I will level BLM... Never much cared for mage jobs, but getting to a point where I kind of need one. My BLU can pull off some pretty surprising breath attacks, but the range sucks. There is no way I'm going to let this friend be right about me leveling BLM (I'd never hear the end of it), which is why I'm looking into SMN.

I have all DD jobs to this point, but wanted something (besides BLM) that would allow me to be more helpful in MB only events. Thought about SCH, but didn't want to basically be a WHM for my first 70 levels.


All that and SMN seems to need the least amount of the extra gear that BLM or SCH would need such as INT, MAB, MACC, Dark/Elemental/Enfeebling/etc. Magic Skill...

Still a long ways from 75, so it'll give me time to think more on merits. Getting Carby Mitts tonight, so there's a good start. :D
____________________________
75+ DRG/BLU/DRK/MNK/SMN ~ 75 THF/SAM

Bastok: 10 ~~ Assault/Nyzul: Captain/100
ZM: Done ~~ ACP: Done
CoP: Done ~~ AMK: Done
ToAU: Done ~~ ASA: Done
WotG: 27 ~~ Campaign: Medal of Altana $$$$

Server: Ramuh
LS: Latent
#16 Oct 14 2009 at 1:36 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,007 posts
Everyone tends to write of magic accuracy merits, but i'll have to say this one thing. If you won't be using summoner for endgame things its fine to ignore magic acc, but if you use smn for endgame things you should at least consider magic acc. Very often i see summoners with no magic acc (either through gear or merits) try to nuke fafnir or kirin with merit pacts and get resists which really ruins your damage/mp ratio. I saw a smn using 5/5 windblade on kirin last week, and the full damage was 1250 or so. the problem was that nearly half of the pacts used were resisted for around 580 or so.
____________________________
(I don't speak any Non-Pet)
-Kairos lvl300 petmaster Caitsith
-----------------
This resulted in a backlash from the PLD. "He saved u lot from dying by using his 2hour!" *eyeroll* Bitch, please. I'm a mother-@#%^ing-DRAGOON. -Kellinda (Live Journal)
#17 Oct 14 2009 at 9:07 AM Rating: Decent
**
311 posts
Yeah, my SMN would be purely for end game type events. My LS been looking to get into Sea gods at some point soon here and I wanted something to have ranged nukes (besides BLM and SCH). We're also in need of some UFO organs and I'm the only one of our usual 6-10 member group that doesn't have a nuker besides BLU (great breath attack nukes, but range sucks).

As far as MAcc, I was leaning towards 5/5 (and 5/5 MAtt) as it seemed to make more sense to me to have the nuke go unresisted than to have some extra damage through TP gain. Not to mention, as far as something like UFOs go, don't want to be feeding them TP anyways.

As far as tier 2 merits, am I good with going 5/5 Heavenly Strike and 5/5 Thunderstorm? Is there a better light or dark based nuke I should be looking into or is this just a case of "sh!t is situational"?

Also, will merit Summoning Skill help magical nukes land? Bit confused how SMN skill works.
____________________________
75+ DRG/BLU/DRK/MNK/SMN ~ 75 THF/SAM

Bastok: 10 ~~ Assault/Nyzul: Captain/100
ZM: Done ~~ ACP: Done
CoP: Done ~~ AMK: Done
ToAU: Done ~~ ASA: Done
WotG: 27 ~~ Campaign: Medal of Altana $$$$

Server: Ramuh
LS: Latent
#18 Oct 14 2009 at 10:27 AM Rating: Good
****
4,203 posts
MinscandBoo wrote:
Yeah, my SMN would be purely for end game type events. My LS been looking to get into Sea gods at some point soon here and I wanted something to have ranged nukes (besides BLM and SCH). We're also in need of some UFO organs and I'm the only one of our usual 6-10 member group that doesn't have a nuker besides BLU (great breath attack nukes, but range sucks).

BLM & SMN are both extremely useful in sea. SMN mainly for fights like Jailer of Faith, Jailer of Temperance, etc. BLM for... well... for everything.

MinscandBoo wrote:
As far as MAcc, I was leaning towards 5/5 (and 5/5 MAtt) as it seemed to make more sense to me to have the nuke go unresisted than to have some extra damage through TP gain. Not to mention, as far as something like UFOs go, don't want to be feeding them TP anyways.

Don't put too much faith in the merit BPs. They seem to be the latest rage, but they aren't the end-all beat-all that some people make them out to be. For the majority of situations, even in endgame, Predator Claws will still beat a 5/5 merit BP. So think twice before dumping all your merits into magic. The merit BPs are very situational. Generally Pred Claws will win unless the mob is an HNM that is weak to the element of the merit BP you used (like the Kirin & Wind Blade example above).

MinscandBoo wrote:
As far as tier 2 merits, am I good with going 5/5 Heavenly Strike and 5/5 Thunderstorm? Is there a better light or dark based nuke I should be looking into or is this just a case of "sh!t is situational"?

Also, will merit Summoning Skill help magical nukes land? Bit confused how SMN skill works.

It's situational, I really like having Thunderstorm leveled since BLMs love to use Thunder spells, which means BRDs love to use Lightning Threnody and DDs love to make lightning skillchains. But yeah it's really situational. I suggest unlocking the ones you suspect you'll use (Heavenly Strike & Thunderstorm sound fine) but don't dump 5 merits into them just yet. Make sure they're the ones you want first. As far as skill, there is a general assumption that skill beyond the cap increases magic accuracy on blood pacts, but it's just that, an assumption. Nobody really knows.
____________________________
Pergatory (Asura, Kupo LS) WHM99 ~ SMN99 ~ DRK99
"If you want to know me, look inside your heart." -Lao Tzu
#19 Oct 14 2009 at 12:49 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,059 posts
MinscandBoo wrote:
MinscandBoo wrote:
Quote:
I have a friend that swears that some day I will level BLM... Never much cared for mage jobs, but getting to a point where I kind of need one. My BLU can pull off some pretty surprising breath attacks, but the range sucks. There is no way I'm going to let this friend be right about me leveling BLM (I'd never hear the end of it), which is why I'm looking into SMN.

I have all DD jobs to this point, but wanted something (besides BLM) that would allow me to be more helpful in MB only events. Thought about SCH, but didn't want to basically be a WHM for my first 70 levels.


All that and SMN seems to need the least amount of the extra gear that BLM or SCH would need such as INT, MAB, MACC, Dark/Elemental/Enfeebling/etc. Magic Skill...

Still a long ways from 75, so it'll give me time to think more on merits. Getting Carby Mitts tonight, so there's a good start. :D

No, I read that. It just isn't the whole picture. Gear requirements are fairly similar, especially if you only care about nuking. SMN has an earlier capping point in terms of total gear amount, yes, but BLM and SCH are wildly more situation. You won't need, for example, an super INT build since fights that use that can be done on other jobs. SMN also has the problem of being slotted as a curebot just as SCH does. Soloing and making your own party to avoid being "a WHM for my first 70 levels" can be done by BLM and SCH too.

On top of that, as Perg said, our Magic BPs are rarely the best option. While Frodo was getting excited over our potential (rightfully so), BLMs don't reach the breaking point as soon as SMN does and doesn't require a Mythic to do so. You're intentionally limiting yourself your goal is purely nuking, and really the only reason to pick SMN over BLM or SCH for nukes is so that your LS doesn't make you come BLM to every other even once you get it.

The arguments against BLM|SCH vs SMN are hollow because SMN, SCH, and BLM arguments are all pretty equal. So I assumed you put more thought into it, hence the "so ok".

MinscandBoo wrote:
As far as MAcc, I was leaning towards 5/5 (and 5/5 MAtt) as it seemed to make more sense to me to have the nuke go unresisted than to have some extra damage through TP gain. Not to mention, as far as something like UFOs go, don't want to be feeding them TP anyways.
...
Also, will merit Summoning Skill help magical nukes land? Bit confused how SMN skill works.

Summoning skill (over cap) increases BP accuracy, magical and physical. It's much easier to gear for skill than other forms of accuracy and it rarely clashes with Pet: MAB given our stupidly low gear selection. Granted, gearing and meriting skill and MAcc will give you the highest accuracy, our resist rates don't vary wildly. TP will have a higher influence on total damage than MAcc ever would, and merits will increase TP gain by 7-8% while still helping physical BPs.

MinscandBoo wrote:
As far as tier 2 merits, am I good with going 5/5 Heavenly Strike and 5/5 Thunderstorm? Is there a better light or dark based nuke I should be looking into or is this just a case of "sh!t is situational"?

The biggest factors I've seen people look at are magic bursting Light and Dark, Threnodies BRDs use (and other forms of elemental resistance down), and least but sometimes most important Avatar efficiency.

Light and Dark are easy to get, you'll find numerous combinations that fight. Elemental resistance tends to be the biggest one people look at, and which is why SMNs emulate BLMs, since Blizzard and Thunder are the two strongest elements in there repertoire.

What most people don't look ate is avatar efficiency. Garuda is the most used Avatar due to her having arguable the best BP:Rage and Karura Hachigane making her the most MP efficient of the 6 primes. On top of that she has Whispering Wind to repair your party if they're hit with something nasty, and since you'll already have her out it's a trivial matter to fire Whispering Wind. Same with Leviathan, who has the second best BP:Rage and can fire Spring Water which is one of the best AoE Cures out there since it doubles as Erase.

Incidentally, Garuda and Leviathan fill the Light and Dark skillchains, but don't get covered by Threnodies often.

Personally, I don't get to see Threnodies often on my SMN, so I'm toying with either Garuda and Leviathan or Garuda and Shiva.

Edited, Oct 14th 2009 12:59pm by jlejeune
____________________________
"And I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore. If that doesn't work, then the hours upon hours of whining will." -Red Mage Statscowski

Saggo of Garuda Lakshmi
#20 Oct 14 2009 at 2:20 PM Rating: Decent
**
311 posts
Well, let's put it this way... On a recent UFO run with my BLU, my Frost Breaths were hitting for about 800+ (only resisted twice for like 400ish). While I was pretty happy (and surprised) with the result, in order to keep that kind of damage going, I need to keep my HP full. Being that BLU breath attack range kinda sucks, 1 hit and my damage drops.

That being said, so long as I can match the damage I do on BLU (or do more), then I'll be happy. Not expecting to beat BLM or put up eye-popping numbers on SMN (doesn't mean I won't try). In any event, thank you for all the advice.


On a side note...

Quote:
The biggest factors I've seen people look at are magic bursting Light and Dark, Threnodies BRDs use (and other forms of elemental resistance down), and least but sometimes most important Avatar efficiency.

Light and Dark are easy to get, you'll find numerous combinations that fight. Elemental resistance tends to be the biggest one people look at, and which is why SMNs emulate BLMs, since Blizzard and Thunder are the two strongest elements in there repertoire.

What most people don't look ate is avatar efficiency. Garuda is the most used Avatar due to her having arguable the best BP:Rage and Karura Hachigane making her the most MP efficient of the 6 primes. On top of that she has Whispering Wind to repair your party if they're hit with something nasty, and since you'll already have her out it's a trivial matter to fire Whispering Wind. Same with Leviathan, who has the second best BP:Rage and can fire Spring Water which is one of the best AoE Cures out there since it doubles as Erase.

Incidentally, Garuda and Leviathan fill the Light and Dark skillchains, but don't get covered by Threnodies often.

Personally, I don't get to see Threnodies often on my SMN, so I'm toying with either Garuda and Leviathan or Garuda and Shiva.


See you point here. Gave me some more to think about with this.
____________________________
75+ DRG/BLU/DRK/MNK/SMN ~ 75 THF/SAM

Bastok: 10 ~~ Assault/Nyzul: Captain/100
ZM: Done ~~ ACP: Done
CoP: Done ~~ AMK: Done
ToAU: Done ~~ ASA: Done
WotG: 27 ~~ Campaign: Medal of Altana $$$$

Server: Ramuh
LS: Latent
#21 Oct 14 2009 at 3:50 PM Rating: Decent
**
316 posts
5/5 Wind Blade is the way to go, because with all the available gears, you can have Garuda out at any time in any weather for as little as -2 mp perp. cost. One refresh and you are gaining mp while Garuda is out.





Edited, Oct 14th 2009 5:59pm by icebabyisme
____________________________
Virtual Wandering
#22 Oct 15 2009 at 10:27 AM Rating: Default
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
Quote:
Mellowy's advice is directed toward melee SMN, which unfortunately I have never explored so I have no advice other than to agree with INT/MND for Spirit Taker. (Mellowy, can you please explain your choice of THF subjob for melee SMN over WAR, NIN, SAM, etc.? Having never taken a non-mage job past 20, I'm somewhat melee challenged...)


Melee SMN is based around simply restoring your MP without resting. Because of this there really are only two valid subjobs (kind of 3). THF, to crit your Spirit Taker and probably get x2 MP back on it. SAM, to have meditate and store TP as well as hasso to speed up your TP gain to Spirit Taker more often. (And SCH, if you want to use sublimation for a constant MP boost while you melee for Spirit Takers)

WAR with double attack would probably speed up TP gain some, and berserk might help with Spirit Taker, but I've never heard of anyone trying it. NIN on the other hand do not help, because you use a 2 handed weapon and chances that you pull hate with Spirit Taker are zero.

SMN/NIN is in theory the optimal spirit summoner build, since you'd be using utsusemi to avoid getting hit, and pull with NIN debuffs and have your spirit auto-defend you by casting spells every 25 seconds. This method would in theory allow you do cast 1 tier IV spell every second mob in a TP-burn and act as the puller. The downside is that you'll go down fast if you pull too early since you have no sleep (and your pet would wake the mob up even if you had a RDM or BRD to help sleep). I have never actually tested this for obvious reasons (getting SMN into a meripo is hard enough, trying to use spirits in that setting is impossible)

Melee SMN is very worth it on EM and below solo though. With the correct gear and macros you can deal 300 damage spirit takers, which will easily cover all your BPing needs and some perpetuation.
#23 Oct 22 2009 at 4:06 PM Rating: Decent
**
311 posts
Ok, here's another question which I thought I already knew the answer to... Does MAB gear do anything for SMN? I thought no, but I saw a 55 SMN in Bastok [S] last night with one equipped and that threw me off.
____________________________
75+ DRG/BLU/DRK/MNK/SMN ~ 75 THF/SAM

Bastok: 10 ~~ Assault/Nyzul: Captain/100
ZM: Done ~~ ACP: Done
CoP: Done ~~ AMK: Done
ToAU: Done ~~ ASA: Done
WotG: 27 ~~ Campaign: Medal of Altana $$$$

Server: Ramuh
LS: Latent
#24 Oct 22 2009 at 6:02 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,233 posts
unless the stat bonus has "pet:" or "avatar:" or some variation of over/next to it, it does not affect the pet. your stats do not directly influence anything with an avatar, so boosting your own MAB does nothing.
____________________________
smn 75: nirvana 4900/30000 alexandrite, 2/3 trophys, 51/101 assaults, 150/150 nyzul isle, 100/100 einherjar.
I had thought it was LttP>LA>LoZ>LoZ2>OoT>MM and then WW and TP were supposed to be like... alternate universes or something. Or it might not matter, because it's a goddamn video game about a 4'5" elf saving an eternal cocktease.
#25 Oct 22 2009 at 6:40 PM Rating: Good
***
3,059 posts
Maybe he really, really liked Banish?
____________________________
"And I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore. If that doesn't work, then the hours upon hours of whining will." -Red Mage Statscowski

Saggo of Garuda Lakshmi
#26 Oct 23 2009 at 1:24 AM Rating: Good
**
473 posts
I also have an enmity down set for when i solo NM's.
if you're going to carby-kite something, make sure you're not wearing any AF pieces. (YYR and some parts of the crow set, since more mp is of no issue when carby-kiting)
Carby will grab hate with one hit if your enmity is low, sometimes even when he misses he'll get hate.
Also very usefull when doing bombs at lvl 51 ^^.


____________________________
Silly Red Mage, Songs are for Bards.
"AbsolutelyFabulous" Gay linkshell do you need it?
#27 Oct 23 2009 at 5:24 AM Rating: Excellent
To add to it, I'd recommend a damage reduction gear setup of some sort, especially if you're the soloing type of individual. Given that in some, if not most, endgame situations we are in, we'll be in range of physical or magical TP moves, and with our relatively low HP, it's good to be able to mitigate that as best you can.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points


My thoughts and reviews on all sorts of sci-fi stuff...and things.
#28 Oct 23 2009 at 9:00 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,233 posts
RhadamantisRagnarok wrote:
I also have an enmity down set for when i solo NM's.
if you're going to carby-kite something, make sure you're not wearing any AF pieces. (YYR and some parts of the crow set, since more mp is of no issue when carby-kiting)
Carby will grab hate with one hit if your enmity is low, sometimes even when he misses he'll get hate.
Also very usefull when doing bombs at lvl 51 ^^.




enmity is only an issue if you do blood pacts on the mob, cast on yourself or resummon an avatar while too close to the mob. a clean carby kite will benefit more from the acc and eva on evoker's gear or the atk on smn feet than any crow gear, or you could be smart and wear enmity- gear when you issue commands/cast spells only, seeing as how thats what enmity- gear modifies.

Edited, Oct 23rd 2009 11:01pm by frodnonnag
____________________________
smn 75: nirvana 4900/30000 alexandrite, 2/3 trophys, 51/101 assaults, 150/150 nyzul isle, 100/100 einherjar.
I had thought it was LttP>LA>LoZ>LoZ2>OoT>MM and then WW and TP were supposed to be like... alternate universes or something. Or it might not matter, because it's a goddamn video game about a 4'5" elf saving an eternal cocktease.
#29 Oct 24 2009 at 7:28 AM Rating: Default
Avatard
*****
11,630 posts
MinscandBoo wrote:
Ok, here's another question which I thought I already knew the answer to... Does MAB gear do anything for SMN? I thought no, but I saw a 55 SMN in Bastok [S] last night with one equipped and that threw me off.


Helps mythic WS, but in general you hit for the same damage with Spirit Taker and it gives MP back, so it is not a very important stat.
#30 Nov 09 2009 at 8:00 AM Rating: Decent
**
311 posts
Another general question...

Is there any reason for me to get any Nash/Ultima gear? Specifically looking at hands and feet (I think), but was wondering if there are better alternatives? Things to keep in mind, I don't do ZNM, Sky, Salvage or Einherjar.
____________________________
75+ DRG/BLU/DRK/MNK/SMN ~ 75 THF/SAM

Bastok: 10 ~~ Assault/Nyzul: Captain/100
ZM: Done ~~ ACP: Done
CoP: Done ~~ AMK: Done
ToAU: Done ~~ ASA: Done
WotG: 27 ~~ Campaign: Medal of Altana $$$$

Server: Ramuh
LS: Latent
#31 Nov 09 2009 at 8:31 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
126 posts
Quote:

All that and SMN seems to need the least amount of the extra gear that BLM or SCH would need such as INT, MAB, MACC, Dark/Elemental/Enfeebling/etc. Magic Skill...


Hahaha.

Yep, that's what i thought too, when i started lvling summoner. But serioulsly: My smn-gear nowadays uses up more than 60 (don't know the exact number of pieces) slots of inventory space and i'm far from having gathered all pieces i want. There are so many things that you can boost: HMP, hMP, Pet: MAcc, MAtt, PAcc, PAtt, defense, bp-timer, perpetuation cost, summoning skill...

with the last updates/add-ons more and more useful (macro-)gear has become available.
#32 Nov 09 2009 at 10:33 AM Rating: Decent
1 post
Quote:
Another general question...

Is there any reason for me to get any Nash/Ultima gear? Specifically looking at hands and feet (I think), but was wondering if there are better alternatives? Things to keep in mind, I don't do ZNM, Sky, Salvage or Einherjar.


Definitely YES!! There's no better alternative for Nashira Hands while keeping Avatar out, but you should macro in like Smn. Hands for BPs.
Nashira Feet are also very nice for Magic/Ward BPs and Siphon, but Marduk crackows are a lil bit better since they also give you MP+3% MND+10 and Enm-4, Smn. skill is same on both and since you dont do Salvage i'd get the Nash. Feet.
#33 Nov 09 2009 at 6:13 PM Rating: Decent
**
311 posts
Ok, so is there another feet option that might be better besides Marduk or Nash? I've noticed some posters talk about AF+1 feet, but I absolutely HATE Tor. Canal and figured I wouldn't bother with the AF feet as they didn't look all that impressive.
____________________________
75+ DRG/BLU/DRK/MNK/SMN ~ 75 THF/SAM

Bastok: 10 ~~ Assault/Nyzul: Captain/100
ZM: Done ~~ ACP: Done
CoP: Done ~~ AMK: Done
ToAU: Done ~~ ASA: Done
WotG: 27 ~~ Campaign: Medal of Altana $$$$

Server: Ramuh
LS: Latent
#34 Nov 09 2009 at 8:10 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,346 posts
Pergatory wrote:

Don't put too much faith in the merit BPs. They seem to be the latest rage, but they aren't the end-all beat-all that some people make them out to be. For the majority of situations, even in endgame, Predator Claws will still beat a 5/5 merit BP. So think twice before dumping all your merits into magic. The merit BPs are very situational. Generally Pred Claws will win unless the mob is an HNM that is weak to the element of the merit BP you used (like the Kirin & Wind Blade example above).


Hi Pergatory,

I've had the opposite experience and not just for HNM, which is a tiny slice of what the Merit 2's can do for a summoner.

Even on mobs such as Proto-Ultima where Predator Claws has a higher cap on damage vis-a-vis Wind Blade, the fact that wind blade is far more accurate makes up for it.

I've done anywhere from 62 dmg to 500 dmg on Pred Claws in one run with a lot of 300ish partial misses, but Wind Blade was consistently 400-460 *tp dependent*. A bad resist may result in a 250, but the accuracy is noticeably higher with much less variance.

In Dynamis all the physical BP's are noticeably weaker vs. the magical BPs and can miss badly. I've parsed at 100% magical accuracy in that event as well and ranked as one of the top 5 DDs just spamming wind blade on Beaucidine mobs, which do not exhibit particular weakness to wind magic.

Granted physical BP and magical both have their place an I'm not aguing to use one exclusively, my SMN is built to do dmg on both, but I've invested heavily on MAB gear this year.

I do however have difficulty thinking of the 'most situations' you say where physical BP is demonstrably better. I see Kirin mentioned, but that NM isn't the end all and be all that it used to be and is not the majority of what people do today.

Sorry for the long rant, just wanted to poke your brain on this.


Edited, Nov 9th 2009 7:06pm by Dekusutaa
____________________________
[ffxisig]185131[/ffxisig]

Converse MP Calculations
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (19)