Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

YGK attack bonuses and gear questionsFollow

#1 Jun 18 2009 at 8:09 AM Rating: Good
**
879 posts
So i have been leveling SAM. 71 now.

Couple questions:

1) YGK have exactly the same mods. They are supposed to perform exactly equal. Yet i seem to have been having a bit better returns from Gekko than Yuki. It is pretty small, but my averages usually favor Gekko over Yukki byt ~30 damage. I wouldnt think about this, but since i have been consistently having this sort of results, it leads to the question: Does Gekko have a different bonus than Yuki somehow? And how about Kasha?

Btw, 30 damage on WS averages of ~500. It is fairly small, yet the fact that its always there and always favors Gekko givesme the doubt.

2) That out of the mind, i have been doign what i learned to TP: Acc + Atk ( and from next level on, haste ) and just pilling in STR for YGK. People say attack isnt really important for the big 3, so i have been completely ignoring it.

But i have better WS results when berserk is on than when it is off. Like, WSes go from ~400 withouth zerk to ~550 with it. How big are attack bonuses on the big 3? I was thinking i would have capped atk, but if zerk is upping my damage then it doesnt looks like it.


3) Any horrid changes on my gear that should be easy to make? Note that i am not going to look for a 6-hit build before i hit 75 and have some merits. Lack of Rajas still really hurts too.

Tp gear
http://ffxigear.com/?ref=10303

WS
http://ffxigear.com/?ref=10304

- Yes, i know about the +2 STR rings on WS set. Havent found +3s forever, and since in one more level ill get to use +4s, ill just keep the +2s.
____________________________
Khory

TybudX wrote:
The hardest part of this game is finding 5-17 other people who aren't retarded.
#2 Jun 18 2009 at 8:42 AM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
TheKhory wrote:
So i have been leveling SAM. 71 now.

Couple questions:

1) YGK have exactly the same mods. They are supposed to perform exactly equal. Yet i seem to have been having a bit better returns from Gekko than Yuki. It is pretty small, but my averages usually favor Gekko over Yukki byt ~30 damage. I wouldnt think about this, but since i have been consistently having this sort of results, it leads to the question: Does Gekko have a different bonus than Yuki somehow? And how about Kasha?

Btw, 30 damage on WS averages of ~500. It is fairly small, yet the fact that its always there and always favors Gekko givesme the doubt.

2) That out of the mind, i have been doign what i learned to TP: Acc + Atk ( and from next level on, haste ) and just pilling in STR for YGK. People say attack isnt really important for the big 3, so i have been completely ignoring it.

But i have better WS results when berserk is on than when it is off. Like, WSes go from ~400 withouth zerk to ~550 with it. How big are attack bonuses on the big 3? I was thinking i would have capped atk, but if zerk is upping my damage then it doesnt looks like it.


3) Any horrid changes on my gear that should be easy to make? Note that i am not going to look for a 6-hit build before i hit 75 and have some merits. Lack of Rajas still really hurts too.

Tp gear
http://ffxigear.com/?ref=10303

WS
http://ffxigear.com/?ref=10304

- Yes, i know about the +2 STR rings on WS set. Havent found +3s forever, and since in one more level ill get to use +4s, ill just keep the +2s.


(1) some guy (yarko?) showed on BG that various 1hit WSs with pDIF bonuses don't get exactly the same % bonuses. i believe in order of strength it goes gekko, kasha, yuki. what this means to the advice we've been giving for years is: still use the one whose debuff will be most useful if you're concerned about that, but otherwise gekko-all-the-time (and if you're deciding which WS to get a sea gorget for, get snow for gekko (and yuki) first). i'd link you to the tests or exact %s, but a) i don't have the link offhand, and b) i'm not sure i believe the exact %s anyway, but i didn't follow the thread to the end.

(2) ehhhh, the thing is, even if ATT is still doing something, STR usually does more. this might vary for individual slots and against specific mobs. in the absence of that information i'm not really sure what to say, but think about what slots you'd change if you didn't observe the "STR in every slot" rule, and try parsing it, see if it seems to make a big difference. if it does, maybe ask about those particular changes and get opinions about whether it was a sample size fluke or not.

(3) hmm.

horomusha kote; ;. it really doesn't make a difference now, but for the life of me i'll never see why people buy those pieces of sh*t. dusk soon, buy asap before prices go back up after mog bonanza (behemoth hides commonly picked reward, dusk glove prices plummet as people try to HQ and get rich). everything else pretty much fine for TP.

i wouldn't change WS either, though depending on your ATT and the exact bonus you get from gekko, keeping amemet+1 on for now could be good (shrug). other than that, i don't think the question in (2) matters to you, because STR does more than the ATT on your normal gear anyway.



____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#3 Jun 18 2009 at 9:20 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
623 posts
Someone told me that Y-K-G all ignore some defense, but Geko ignores more.

As to your gear....

Upgrade the STR rings. Use a Potent belt. There are a few cheap STR +1 earrings, swap one in for the Coral on WSs.
____________________________
Chanti
Clothcraft 97 +3
Samurai 75
Monk 66
All around flirt
#4 Jun 18 2009 at 9:47 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,733 posts
Shadygrove wrote:
Someone told me that Y-K-G all ignore some defense, but Geko ignores more.
They do, but the tests showing that gekko ignored more defense had a whopping sample size of 10, if I recall correctly.
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
Stylish plugin for Firefox | ZAM/Allakhazam Widescreen/ad-free Stylish theme
#5 Jun 18 2009 at 3:30 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
6,481 posts
bsphil wrote:
Shadygrove wrote:
Someone told me that Y-K-G all ignore some defense, but Geko ignores more.
They do, but the tests showing that gekko ignored more defense had a whopping sample size of 10, if I recall correctly.
It was pretty weak scientifically, yeah

Not to mention that it acknowledged that SE changed a lot of other stuff (pdif/cratio caps, "varience" mod, etc), but didn't bother to actaully test those other variables to see how much they could be influencing that test; and he didn't originally test vs mobs w/ lv correction; and his later tests vs harder mobs were even smaller sample size; and iir when he came onto alla he said he didn't control for tp very well either.

but worst of all?: comma decimal points

linky
____________________________
Quote:
I don't believe in good guys versus bad guys anymore… I only see a plethora of states acting in self interest… with varying ethics and moral standards of course, but self-interest nonetheless
Winston Churchill wrote:
Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things
#6 Jun 19 2009 at 12:01 AM Rating: Decent
Edited by bsphil
******
21,733 posts
shintasama wrote:
but worst of all?: comma decimal points
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
____________________________
His Excellency Aethien wrote:
Almalieque wrote:
If no one debated with me, then I wouldn't post here anymore.
Take the hint guys, please take the hint.
gbaji wrote:
I'm not getting my news from anywhere Joph.
Stylish plugin for Firefox | ZAM/Allakhazam Widescreen/ad-free Stylish theme
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 22 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (22)