Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Kannagi TrialsFollow

#1 Apr 11 2011 at 1:30 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
I've just finished the Gargantua trial (a nice JP let me leech the wins overnight), and I'm wondering if I should expect the VNM trials to be faster (per pop/kill) than the lottery NMs? 13 NMs down and 28 to go until Helm-spam; just want to know what to expect.

Thanks.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#2 Apr 11 2011 at 2:40 PM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,005 posts
Way faster unless you have twats killing the VNMs and not letting you join.

Non-Abyssea T2 VNMs are still unfortunately 1 hour respawns, but since you can move to other zones to get more of them, it's not as bad.
#3 Apr 11 2011 at 3:03 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
Awesome, thanks for the info.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#4 Apr 11 2011 at 5:26 PM Rating: Excellent
I found that the VNMs were very easy. As long as you find 3-4 other people who need it too, you can knock an entire trial out in a couple of hours, tops. I've been stuck on helms for a while myself, that's where it really slows down. Smiley: frown
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#5 Apr 11 2011 at 6:41 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
I found that the VNMs were very easy. As long as you find 3-4 other people who need it too, you can knock an entire trial out in a couple of hours, tops. I've been stuck on helms for a while myself, that's where it really slows down. Smiley: frown


Luckily for me, my (WHM + DNC + SAM) roommate is going after Masamune, so we both farm a Briareus and Carabosse set, then lot each others Helms/Gems. Should only take about ~16 runs to get enough Helms/Gems doing 2 of each per run.

Sobek is gonna be the painful part, I think. Hopefully the May update's addressing of the Guku issue will actually make a difference.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#6 Apr 12 2011 at 10:21 AM Rating: Excellent
Aliekber wrote:
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
I found that the VNMs were very easy. As long as you find 3-4 other people who need it too, you can knock an entire trial out in a couple of hours, tops. I've been stuck on helms for a while myself, that's where it really slows down. Smiley: frown
Luckily for me, my (WHM + DNC + SAM) roommate is going after Masamune, so we both farm a Briareus and Carabosse set, then lot each others Helms/Gems. Should only take about ~16 runs to get enough Helms/Gems doing 2 of each per run.
That's a good idea. I know one linkshell member was going to need Carabosse soon, so I may go that route. I've never tried to low-man Briareus before though. Is it particularly difficult? I've tanked him before for an alliance, but as a taru I'm concerned about being two-hit by some of his TP moves.
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#7 Apr 12 2011 at 10:50 AM Rating: Good
**
697 posts
Briareus can be duo/trio'd pretty easily as long as you can stun Mercurial Strike. Helms drops are affected by TH only so many like to have a THF tank, but I have had great success doing NIN/DNC along with RDM and at times a BP and release SMN to speed things up a bit.

Build 5 flourish charges and pop him, hit him with all your enfeebs and start chipping away. Stand ready on the stun button.

I prefer to reserve TP to help heal myself, but each time I successfully stun his TP move, I will unload a WS.

Mercurial Strike usually isn't so bad, but if it lands for 1111 he will immediately 2-hour and that can be problematic as its massive damage spam makes things go bad fast. If he does get a 2-hour off the easy solution is to run like hell to stay out of range and kite for 30 seconds till it wears then get back in there. The best thing to do is to DNC Stun it and avoid it altogether, but you gotta be fast and ready. Most of the times I have low manned him, he might sneak a couple Mercurial Strikes in but none that trigger his 2-hour.

When I go without a THF I use C&D, Apoc and Atma of Dread (for TH) and my history is just under 75% of those give me the double helm drop. While not a DD oriented atma selection, I chose safety at the expense of speed as a couple extra minutes killing is a whole lot better than the time it takes to farm the pops, especially low-man. This should play well towards your taru concerns. With these each battle is not terribly long at about 8-10 minutes each.

When I go with a party or more, my atma selections are different, leaning back towards DD.

tl;dr Stunning Mercurial Strike makes this a fairly easy battle.

Good Luck.
____________________________
Shadechaos of Seraph Bismarck
R.I.P. Cindy 2.26.56 - 4.18.13
~She made a difference~
#8 Apr 12 2011 at 11:30 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
RaiseIII wrote:
tl;dr Stunning Mercurial Strike makes this a fairly easy battle.


Most of the time I haven't even bothered stunning it, I just start running if I see a TP move. If it's an 1111 Mercurial, I'm already out of range by the time Colossal Slam starts going off. So far I've only gotten hit by it once (the first time, when I didn't really know what I was doing). With Yurin and Myoshu, TP feed isn't much of an issue, so I use RR/GH/Apoc since his ACC is so crappy I still mostly evade in DD gear + Yonin (and keep him blinded).

I do lack TH with that setup, so I'm considering bringing my brother's WAR/THF15 to smack it once for TH1 then sit on the sidelines.

Edit: I'm not saying this is the most efficient way of doing things, just that he's very duoable. A THF/NIN won't have the luxury of Stun, but don't let that stop you.

Edited, Apr 12th 2011 11:34am by Aliekber
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#9 Apr 12 2011 at 2:08 PM Rating: Good
Thanks for the advice guys, once I get back into having more playtime I'll give this a shot. I'd be going NIN/DNC for certain, so if I can get THF and WHM friends to tag along, I should be golden. How hard is collecting the KI?
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#10 Apr 12 2011 at 3:23 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
Daimakaicho, Eater of Souls wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys, once I get back into having more playtime I'll give this a shot. I'd be going NIN/DNC for certain, so if I can get THF and WHM friends to tag along, I should be golden. How hard is collecting the KI?


The only hard part about it is making sure you have the Red procs covered (NIN/WAR + healer does great here, naturally) and farming up the pops for the KI NMs. If you have Iga Ningi +1, Migawari will take the bite out of Moribund Hack (Pantagruel), which is really the only threatening move any of the 3 NMs have.

Generally the NMs will use a Roar move (Ice Roar/Lightning Roar/Impact Roar), which puts up non-Dispellable Ice Spikes/Shock Spikes/Attack Rate Increase*, respectively, until they turn it off by doing Moribund Hack/Trebuchet/Grand Slam, which can reset hate.

If you don't have AF3+1 body, you can just kite Pantagruel until he tries to Moribund Hack you while you're 20' away, and he'll waste his TP move, and lose his spikes. (Edit: This is if you're soloing the KI. If you have a healer, just straight tank him, and let them deal with the Paralyna/Cure spam at this point.)

*Based on personal experience, I haven't had anyone else verify this, but it seems to be the pattern to me.

Edited, Apr 12th 2011 3:26pm by Aliekber
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#11 Apr 12 2011 at 7:10 PM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,005 posts
Wouldn't worry so much about not having TH if it's a hassle to bring. From my overall experiences with and without THF, the drop rate on the 2nd empy item seems to be 50% all around, high-level TH or not.

I should note that my experience primarily applies to empy NMs in Visions/Scars. Stuff like plates from Heroes ironclads and souls from Heroes T3 VNMs might be different. I killed the Ironclad in Grauberg many times in an attempt for DNC body seals (all without TH), and the 2nd plate drop rate on him seems a lot less than 50%.

Edited, Apr 12th 2011 9:13pm by Fynlar
#12 Apr 13 2011 at 3:49 AM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
You can actually solo all of your helms, it's not that bad.

Make sure you have 10/13 red procs (Hakke Hachimaki that drops from Briareus + 7 Staff merits gives you Sunburst) for the lesser NMs and go NIN/WAR. Use Migawari to negate Moribund Hack as above, turn from the RNG's Shock Spikes, and just crush the WAR; all are doable with cruor meds alone.

For Briareus, go NIN/THF. You're just wasting your time without TH2 at the very least. With decent gear and running from Meikyo, cruor meds should carry you through the fight; spamming some Bastion so you can buy top tier potions is a great safety net. /DNC is not necessary, Stun is not necessary. Good luck!
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#13Sandmasterr, Posted: Apr 15 2011 at 5:47 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) would'nt it be equally as easy for the 3 T2's to atleast go /dnc to save using med that can be used for the boss. /WAR adds very little in comparison to the gains from /DNC.
#14 Apr 15 2011 at 10:43 AM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
No, it wouldn't be anywhere near as easy to use /DNC for the triggers than /WAR. The only reason you are fighting them in the first place is to get their respective Key Item; /WAR doubles your chance at hitting the red weakness and guaranteeing that they drop; what does /DNC give you? Cures, which are easily handled with cheap meds you can buy on your way in. Also, there is no 'saving meds for the boss.' As you should be changing to /THF, it's implied that you are warping out to change subjob, which gives you the opportunity to purchase new meds on your way back in. If you have your Guerdon Abyssites (and let's face it, if you don't, you have more important things to be working on than Briareus Helms), you only have to purchase Potion2/Elixir1.

/DNC has no place if you're serious about being even remotely efficient about farming these. If you find you are unable to succeed without it, your NIN probably needs some work, and I mean this from a purely objective standpoint (as I have no idea what kind of gear you have, nor care, unless you want some advice); soloing has gear requirements. The time you waste using /DNC compared to /WAR and /THF would be better spent improving your other gear first.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#15 Apr 15 2011 at 11:00 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
You weren't kidding about VNM trials being faster. I knocked two out in a night without really trying, just need the Sheep trial and I can unload my Helm stock to start farming more of them.

I'm sure I'm in for a rude awakening at Sobek(A.K.A. Gukumatz), but so far I've been surprised at how easy these trials have been.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#16 Apr 15 2011 at 11:35 AM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
For all the complaints about Sobek, it was by far the easiest part. All I did was shout in Jeuno for 20 minutes to assemble a +2 party consisting of NIN WAR THF BLU BLM WHM and farm; it's not nearly as hard to claim Gukumatz when you have 6 heads out there vying for the claim. I finished in 2 days.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#17 Apr 15 2011 at 11:56 AM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
Also, wanted to chime in on /WAR for solo farming Bri/Sobek KIs.

While /WAR does cover all our procs, I'd contend that (weird as it is to do so) /PLD is a better choice for most people, simply because it gives access to all the same procs* as /WAR, but adds Flash and Cures for added safety. /WAR will give a slightly faster killspeed on paper, but /PLD will let you be a lot more reckless because of your safety net (Flash alone can save your hide, not even mentioning Sentinel), and may be in fact faster in practice because of this.

The KI NMs shouldn't give you any trouble as it is, but if you are feeling trepidation from soloing /WAR, /PLD is a decent middle ground alternative, if you have it.

* And Sunburst as well, if you have Hope Torque (Hakke Hachimaki comes from Briareus himself, no excuses for not having it if you already have Torque)

Edit: This is not to say urdoinitwrong if you've had success with /WAR. By all means, more power to you. It's more to say that /DNC is no excuse not to proc, if you have access to /PLD37 or greater.

Edited, Apr 15th 2011 2:19pm by Aliekber
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#18 Apr 15 2011 at 12:26 PM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
Very good point; I didn't think it was worth all the effort to level PLD/acquire Torque, as I have neither; but if you already have both, it's definitely the better choice.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#19 Apr 16 2011 at 2:49 AM Rating: Default
***
2,591 posts
Quote:
No, it wouldn't be anywhere near as easy to use /DNC for the triggers than /WAR. The only reason you are fighting them in the first place is to get their respective Key Item; /WAR doubles your chance at hitting the red weakness and guaranteeing that they drop; what does /DNC give you? Cures, which are easily handled with cheap meds you can buy on your way in. Also, there is no 'saving meds for the boss.' As you should be changing to /THF, it's implied that you are warping out to change subjob, which gives you the opportunity to purchase new meds on your way back in. If you have your Guerdon Abyssites (and let's face it, if you don't, you have more important things to be working on than Briareus Helms), you only have to purchase Potion2/Elixir1.

/DNC has no place if you're serious about being even remotely efficient about farming these. If you find you are unable to succeed without it, your NIN probably needs some work, and I mean this from a purely objective standpoint (as I have no idea what kind of gear you have, nor care, unless you want some advice); soloing has gear requirements. The time you waste using /DNC compared to /WAR and /THF would be better spent improving your other gear first.


The simple answer would have been '/war alllows you to easily proc red'. Which was in the first line, the rest is just babble.
____________________________
Taking a break.
#20 Apr 16 2011 at 3:35 AM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
What you're describing is good writing technique; lead out with a strong thesis, and then fill the body with points to support it. In case you didn't read closely enough, I may have been responding to you, but I write my responses to the entire audience to help them understand my points more fully and to make my advice more clear. If what I had to say was babble, why did every post above mine advise /DNC as the subjob of choice when it is clearly, unambiguously not? I could've just said you guys are a bunch of retards, but everybody always gives me sh*t for it; turns out, even when I'm constructive in my criticism, I get the same sh*t. Some incentive to be nice, eh?

If you happened to take something I said personally, I assure you, it is all in your head, and not in what I wrote.

But hey you want to be snide about it so consider this: the only reason I was forced to 'babble' was because you asked why /WAR would be better than /DNC. If you're going to ask stupid questions, you don't get to complain when you get what you consider to be stupid answers.

Edited, Apr 16th 2011 5:43am by LyltiaofLakshmi
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#21Sandmasterr, Posted: Apr 16 2011 at 4:26 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) This
#22 Apr 16 2011 at 10:52 AM Rating: Excellent
And this is what happens when someone has no counterargument and has to resort to petty insults.

Lyltia, I for one appreciate the advice you've given (and the well-written responses; there are far too few of those these days), so thanks for that. I appreciate a good post that is devoid of insults and heavy on advice.
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#23 Apr 16 2011 at 12:21 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
ITT: Sandmasterr doesn't think through the (valid) reasoning for using /WAR over /DNC, and then gets butthurt when someone (politely and informatively) calls him out on it.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#24 Apr 17 2011 at 12:27 PM Rating: Good
And rate bombing us doesn't help prove your point either Sand. Grow up.
____________________________
IRC: Kagutsuchi

FFXI:
Tolite
Formerly of Lakshmi, now in Asura

FFXIV:
Kagu Tsuchi
Ultros
#25 Apr 17 2011 at 5:04 PM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
The only point he seemed to have in the first place was, 'my butt hurts.' I have to give credit where it's due; I think he proved it beyond any and all doubt.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#26 Apr 17 2011 at 5:50 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
Ended up teaming up with a PLD who is working on Almace (my SAM friend is being a bum), since neither of us are doing it with LS support (well, we kind of do have LS support, but not in the sense of "I have minions who will farm 12 pop sets for me and then spam Briareus for my Helms"). NIN/THF and PLD/WHM can do all triggers but Scythe, and can take Briareus to town easily. Not to mention TH2 helps with pop item drops from NQ Gigas as well as increasing Briareus's Helm yield. It's been working out well so far. 43 Helms to go.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#27 Apr 17 2011 at 6:19 PM Rating: Decent
***
2,591 posts
wow... just.. wow.

Unfortunately I didn't have a point to make becasue my question was answered. I sensed a tone in his reponce (directed at me which Im not going to pick apart) so I replied with humor. I guess certain ppl took it the wrong way. Did I say anything insulting other than babble? I don't think it is I who is butt hurt. Grow a pair guys, this is the Interent.

Daimakaicho wrote:
And rate bombing us doesn't help prove your point either Sand. Grow up.


/sigh, so much hypocracy in that statement its untrue.
____________________________
Taking a break.
#28 Apr 17 2011 at 6:31 PM Rating: Decent
**
824 posts
So, your question was answered, and your way of saying thank you is to insult the person who decided to answer for you?

As for the 'tone' being 'directed at you,' again, I highly suggest rereading what you so condescendingly wrote off as babble. I gave several hypotheticals as to why one would use /DNC, and disproved each. Not once did I accuse, or even insinuate, that any of them applied to you. If you choose to believe so, that's your business, but do not mistake interpretation as intent. It only makes you look stupid.
____________________________
rdmcandie wrote:
RDM can attain an almost static 50% reduction to recast time, SCH can over shoot this for a total of 60% reduction under Alacrity (provided you are wearing loafers and keeping dark weather on yourself)

rdmcandie wrote:
MACC is a joke, any job with access to mage gear can hit close the MACC cap on legion mobs, which is why my BRD/RDM can land slow/para/blind despite having only 150 skill (from /RDM.)
#29 Apr 17 2011 at 9:23 PM Rating: Good
****
5,459 posts
Sandmasterr wrote:
I sensed a tone in his reponce (directed at me which Im not going to pick apart) so I replied with humor.

There's the issue. Your response wasn't really that funny.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#30 Apr 18 2011 at 3:59 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,591 posts
Oh well, its over, time to move on.
____________________________
Taking a break.
#31 Apr 26 2011 at 5:25 AM Rating: Excellent
***
2,591 posts
Firstly, just wanted to appologise to Lyltiao for my initial responces, when I re-read the thread I couldn't find anything I should of taken the wrong way.

Secondly, the methods given for solo-ing these NM's is very good information. Until this week, I'd never fought the 3 lesser Gig's, and briareus I just stood there for win/atma just before scar's came out. I obviously read over the NM's on wiki first, but for my first atempt I went /DNC for all 4 NM's to get to know them. Your on the money too when you say its not needed, and it took me 7 NM kills to make a Briareus popset. The second and 3rd sets I made from 4 and 5 nm kills.

Briareus was many times easier than I expected, I've killed him 3 times now and have still only seen 1x 1111 Mercurial strike. On my 2nd and 3rd kills /THF I had to turn a couple of times to let my HP replenish from atma. Using DD gear with my evasion comming from /thf traits, Yonin, 1x Sekka+2, Ballerines my eva rate seemed capped, I couldn't really notice a difference when I put Kuryami up. I Used full Iga set with the accesories and 2/5 +2's. Atma's for all were Mounted Champion, RR, GH. 4/50 on helms lmao. Anyway, your posts have given me something to occupy myself with over the next couple of months so thank you ^
____________________________
Taking a break.
#32 Apr 26 2011 at 1:42 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
Yeah, I don't even switch out of TP gear for Briareus; his accuracy is flat-out terrible.

Have been taking a break from farming Kannagi pops to HQ my NIN some more (want to get body +1 to make Pantagruel more straightforward, just got +2 hat last night), and ended up helping my brother skill up his shiny new 90 WAR so we can Fell Cleave for KIs. Hopefully it will allow me to spam Bri more.

Anyone have experience with cleaving for Bri's KIs (and how common they are compared to Cara's)?
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#33 Apr 27 2011 at 4:24 AM Rating: Good
***
2,591 posts
Well, I got overconfident earlier. I hada few drinks, raised the music volume, popped briareus, and forgot to run at first sign of Mercurial strike. It hit for 1111 then 1.3K ground strike and dead. Just like that :(

Live n learn I guess.
____________________________
Taking a break.
#34 Apr 27 2011 at 8:00 AM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,005 posts
In Visions zones, while amberfarming KIs can be a good supplement for building sets for larger groups, I wouldn't rely on it fully to get you your sets, due to the huge variety of KIs that can drop (the smaller your group is, the more likely you are going to end up with duplicate KIs that you can't take, which just translates to wasted effort).

It becomes slightly more feasible in Scars zones (although generally you cannot obtain a NM's entire KI set solely from gold boxes in Scars zones) and becomes very feasible in Heroes zones (each zone only has 2 boxed KIs and each one of them alone is good for a NM pop... needless to say, this only applies if the mob you need is popped by one of these items)
#35 May 04 2011 at 10:47 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
Well, I just finished the 80 trial. Some thoughts for those just starting out:

- NIN/PLD and NIN/WAR work decently, but Grandgousier is basically an enormous bastard who hates me, and whose family I will hunt down some day. With NIN/DRK you lose staff procs, but as long as you're careful to stun Roars, you can take all 3 NMs to town quickly solo, with procs. I don't have a Pitchfork or that would be an additional consideration, and a point against /DRK.

- Getting as many people to help as you can, even if they are just warm bodies to hold KIs and mostly AFK, is a huge speed boost. The days I was solo, I struggled to get 6 Helms in an evening, but the days I had 4 friends come out I'd knock out 12-16 a run easily, if not more.

- This thing is HUGE! Like, the size of a decently-big sword. Crazy.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#36 May 06 2011 at 3:03 AM Rating: Good
***
2,591 posts
Yeah i've been doing it all without extra bodies, mainly because I don't have them but i'd love to have a 90 Thf I could dual box for pop items, Because of this i've been doing it all /thf, on sylph all 3 NM's are very regualr camped, and I've found other groups of any size are happy to proc for you if you don't have it, I've made a few friends doing it so far and as long as your respectful of others everyones happy. I've just been spending some evenings in the zone, capping azure so I can farm TE/cruor and temps on while farming pops. On Bria if after taking a large dmg without a med to heal it and others waiting i'll just do a /s to ppl waiting asking to throw a cure & haste to speed the process up. All in all i'm having great fun doing it. Bria can be fairly unpredicable, some fights the largest Merc strike is 444-555, others he'll just spam the high numbers.

I'm nearly halfway there and wondering now if Sobek is solo-able with death resist atma/screen? Otherwise i'll have to call on a couple of friends everytime I get a pop or just farm the whole thing with them.
____________________________
Taking a break.
#37 May 09 2011 at 7:27 PM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,005 posts
Quote:
I'm nearly halfway there and wondering now if Sobek is solo-able with death resist atma/screen? Otherwise i'll have to call on a couple of friends everytime I get a pop or just farm the whole thing with them.


I hear Resist Death atmas do help with it, but AFAIK Doom Screen isn't gonna do a thing for you, since... it's not doom that Sobek hits you with >_> Not to mention the fact that screen duration (2 minutes) isn't nearly long enough anyway.

Personally, given the nature of Gukumatz camp nowadays (read: a royal @#%^ing pain in the ass, at least on my server), I wouldn't want to risk any Sobek pop like that by trying to solo it unless you have a way of stopping Tyrant Tusk reliably.
#38 May 09 2011 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
7 posts
Sandmasterr wrote:
I'm nearly halfway there and wondering now if Sobek is solo-able with death resist atma/screen? Otherwise i'll have to call on a couple of friends everytime I get a pop or just farm the whole thing with them.


I did my Kannagi Briareus and Sobek stages in five days (I spammed the living sh*t out of both of them). I had a Whm and Blm to tribox with - against Sobek I was able to round together a couple of completely random people. Here's what i can tell you about him:

- One time I got bored since I had 3/3 KI's on all three characters and decided to try him by myself (Nin, Whm, Blm). If you have Mijin and a rejuvinator, there no reason you can't Nin+Whm it. In my 30 or so sobeks, only one spammed me with three killshot-tusks (using no death resistance atmas).
- I highly doubt you'll be able to solo him, even if you could get around his fairly potent -agas there's always a chance he'll hit you with paralyga and get in too much damage. A big problem with mobs like this that have death/doom moves is that the longer you keep the battle going the higher chance there is that you'll get killshotted. So even if you could permanently hold your own in an eva/mdb set, there's something to just getting a Whm and spamming it with a DD set.
- Sobek drops some pretty popular +2 pieces (Nin, War, Blm, Blu leg +2's). The two people I picked up to offtank this with I had absolutely no experience with and they're now good friends. As mentioned in an earlier post, it's also nice to have other people to claim Guku with.

tl;dr: Just cut yourself out of the lotting pool and it shouldn't be hard to find other people. If you can leadoff a "session" with a popset you farmed yourself, that never hurts.

Edited, May 9th 2011 10:00pm by Msthief87
#39 May 10 2011 at 9:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
85 posts
Quote:
Not to mention TH2 helps with pop item drops from NQ Gigas as well as increasing Briareus's Helm yield.

Treasure Hunter affects the drop rate of Empyrean trial weapon items?

Edited, May 10th 2011 11:35am by xxPhyrexx
#40 May 10 2011 at 12:12 PM Rating: Good
**
324 posts
xxPhyrexx wrote:
Treasure Hunter affects the drop rate of Empyrean trial weapon items?
Well 1st item is 100% drop, the 2nd isn't and is affected by Treasure Hunter which is why it's nice to have a THF come along when you can lol
#41 May 10 2011 at 1:11 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
Another note (currently 13/50 Skins, with 4 KI sets waiting to be popped), I noticed that I was getting 1-shotted by Tyrant Tusk every time Sobek used it, and checked my equip for -Dark Resist. After taking off my PCC (-10 Dark), so I had 0 Dark resist, I only got 1-shotted one more time for the duration of the rest of the night. Not rock-solid statistical evidence, but...something to consider.

Still, I'm kind of upset that I wasn't able to finish off my Skins before the merge to Carbuncle. Pre-merge, I only had to compete against a NIN+WHM twoboxer, who was quite easy to outclaim. On Carbuncle, apparently the whole of Japan lives in Misareaux Coast, with settlements set up at Heqet and Gukumatz.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#42 May 11 2011 at 5:00 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
xxPhyrexx wrote:
Treasure Hunter affects the drop rate of Empyrean trial weapon items?


(Anecdotal evidence) - No proc blue/yellow/red helps with getting that second item. Only TH and if you have some level of TH2 (even subbed) I was getting about a 75% if not higher drop rate of 2 items on Briareus, Sobek, and Apademak. I disagree with someone who said that it's 50% all around, if you look at ANY group doing this stuff that knows what they're doing (even lowmans) - they always have some form of TH. Admittedly, I may be wrong (although everything I have done makes me believe I'm not) - why risk something this important unless you're soloing it? The possible benefits outweigh the problem with a mage being /thf in almost every situation.
#43 May 11 2011 at 5:03 AM Rating: Decent
7 posts
Aliekber wrote:
Another note (currently 13/50 Skins, with 4 KI sets waiting to be popped), I noticed that I was getting 1-shotted by Tyrant Tusk every time Sobek used it, and checked my equip for -Dark Resist. After taking off my PCC (-10 Dark), so I had 0 Dark resist, I only got 1-shotted one more time for the duration of the rest of the night. Not rock-solid statistical evidence, but...something to consider.


I would say I got death'd about 15% of the time without any resist death stuff up, so I'm not sure what "every time" means but in one of my fights I was death'd twice then in the next one I got death'd. Three in a row was my max for the Sobek stage. If you want to do some testing with sniper's rings and maybe a dark carol bard, I'd be interested to see what you find.
#44 May 11 2011 at 7:00 AM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,005 posts
Quote:
I was getting about a 75% if not higher drop rate of 2 items on Briareus, Sobek, and Apademak.


Gotten similar results with no TH. Also gotten <50% on runs with TH. /shrug

All in all, I'd say it balanced out to around 50% for me, counting all runs together (both with and without TH) so that seemed like a safe figure to go by.

If you wanna bring TH and it isn't a hassle, more power to you, but IMO it shouldn't determine whether or not you bother to go farming empy items one day. People aren't bringing TH to these because they know for a fact that it helps with drops; they're bringing it because it couldn't hurt.
#45 May 11 2011 at 11:29 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
85 posts
Quote:
People aren't bringing TH to these because they know for a fact that it helps with drops; they're bringing it because it couldn't hurt.

Excellent point.


Quote:
I was getting about a 75% if not higher drop rate of 2 items on Briareus, Sobek, and Apademak

Inconclusive evidence at best. Unless you have evidence that shows you got a lower drop rate without TH and a large enough sample size for both (with TH and without), then all you have is your opinion and belief.
I could just as easily proc blue, yellow, or red and get a 75% drop rate and say that proccing blue/yellow/red increases drop rate. Would you believe me just as much as you believe in your TH theory?

When I asked the question, I was hoping for some REAL evidence one way or the other. I'm not looking for an answer of "Oh I believe it because it's worked for me"
#46 May 11 2011 at 1:45 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
I bring TH because I bribe people into helping me with +2 items, and TH definitely helps with those.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#47 May 11 2011 at 2:45 PM Rating: Default
7 posts
xxPhyrexx wrote:
When I asked the question, I was hoping for some REAL evidence one way or the other. I'm not looking for an answer of "Oh I believe it because it's worked for me"


I had a paragraph I wrote in anger, I decided to go a different direction.

Quote:
(Anecdotal evidence)
Anecdotal: based on personal observation, case study reports, or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation: anecdotal evidence. (stolen from dictionary.com)

Quote:
Admittedly, I may be wrong
Refer to anecdotal.

I have no idea why you sniped at me trying to get the ball rolling on your question, especially when you stated nothing about wanting a huge case study. That's incredibly bad form. I expected a handful of people to just say that it matters and that would be good enough, as far as I know nobody's actually tracked a thousand or however many you would need to get around the variance and have a margin of error small enough.
#48 May 11 2011 at 3:03 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
4,413 posts
I should probably clarify on the 'bribe' statement. The same people who helped with my 80 are now helping with my 85, and I'm glad that I'm able to help them get something in return for this trial, as opposed to the last one.
____________________________
Aliekber
RDM BLU SCH DRG PLD BLM NIN WHM
Linkshell: CrimsonMercenaries Server: Carbamesh

Sandinmygum the Stupendous wrote:
Human (?) females look ugly.
Post in /K/ where the orbital laser system is now online.
#49 May 11 2011 at 6:42 PM Rating: Good
****
5,459 posts
xxPhyrexx wrote:
When I asked the question, I was hoping for some REAL evidence one way or the other. I'm not looking for an answer of "Oh I believe it because it's worked for me"

Then your post was a waste of everyone's time. You're never going to find "real" evidence regarding drop rates and the effects of TH, especially on something as time consuming as farming for Bri Helms/Sobek Skins/etc.
____________________________
Lyonheart, like Eorzia, will be reborn in FFXIV!

FFXI veteran (Lyonheart and Lakiskline of Lakshmi)
1/467 on signed HQ Weskit!!!
#50 May 13 2011 at 2:58 PM Rating: Good
***
2,591 posts
Farming Bria, my first drop was 1x helm and was /dnc.

Ive done 11 since that /THF, I've had all 2x drops except for one which was for a friend I was showing how to solo him on his pop, 1 single myself the rest always doubles. Thats obviously just personal experiance (so far).

Cara for example for example has been a pain for my group literally being 50/50 whether he drops his second gem and thats with TH 7-9 on him. I reckon all the emph weapon drop mobs have differed drop rates, as Ulth for example seems to drop 2x most the time w/o and TH.
____________________________
Taking a break.
#51 May 22 2011 at 7:50 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
85 posts
Quote:
Then your post was a waste of everyone's time. You're never going to find "real" evidence regarding drop rates and the effects of TH, especially on something as time consuming as farming for Bri Helms/Sobek Skins/etc.

Your statement is wrong. Evidence would be any information to prove or disprove the benefit of TH on Empyrean weapon drop items. What I meant by "real" was more evidence than just one person's testimony on the matter with eyeballed suppositions.
"I was getting about 75% or higher drop rate" is useless information unless it is a conclusion that is prefaced with data. It shows that he didn't collect any data so he just *FEELS* that he got that kind of drop rate, when in actuality, without REAL EVIDENCE he may very well have got a 50% drop rate and just not realized it.

Now, if you think that it's a waste of time to ASK if there is information to support TH benefiting the 2nd item's drop rate, then that's your opinion, and a terrible opinion at that. Asking if there is information to be found is rarely a waste of time for those interested.

As for the last part of your reply, the evidence does not apply to just ninja trials. It's very safe to assume that the drop rate is consistent for EVERY empyrean weapon trial which are constantly being farmed every day. I think it would be very possible that out of the thousands of empyrean weapons being farmed, perhaps a few people actually wrote down their drop rates with TH and perhaps a few others wrote down their drop rates without TH. If that information were to be accumulated together, we would be able to see the effects (if any) of treasure hunter on the non-100% empyrean weapon drop items.

Quote:
I reckon all the emph weapon drop mobs have differed drop rates, as Ulth for example seems to drop 2x most the time w/o and TH.

Of course if this is true, we're looking at a completely different ball game, lol.

Quote:
I have no idea why you sniped at me trying to get the ball rolling on your question, especially when you stated nothing about wanting a huge case study. That's incredibly bad form.

If you consider my reply a "snipe" then I will apologize for that, but I suggest you re-read it without the emotion and see if you are still offended. If you will notice, I only responded to one statement you made, and it was the statement where you gave "inconclusive evidence" to support your claim. If I were to snipe, I could have said something like "your response was as helpful as a torn condom" but I'm not interested in offending anyone for the sake of offending. If you are being overly-sensitive then there is nothing I can do, but again, my apologies if I seemed to carry a tone of any sort.
As I stated, I was "hoping" which means I didn't ask for the evidence, but, as is the case with MANY forum responses, a person may reply with a link to another forum post or a different website where data has been gathered to show the answer to their question.

As for my personal experience, the only data that I can remember off the top of my head is that I recently killed Chloris 6 times with TH8-10 on it each time. 3 times he dropped 1 bud. 3 times he dropped 2. This very small sample size leads me to believe that treasure hunter has no affect on that 2nd item's drop rate and that it is consistently 50%. Again, this sample is EXTREMELY small and pretty useless by itself.

Now if treasure hunter DOES benefit the drop rate, but that benefit is very small, then we will most likely never accumulate enough data to see if the benefit even exists (and if it was that small, it wouldn't even be worth it to wait for a thief or sub thief anyway). However, if the TH benefit increases the drop rate from 50% to 75%... it wouldn't take a very large sample size to see a 25% increase in drop rate.
« Previous 1 2
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 10 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (10)