Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

MNK no longer the Top #1 DD?Follow

#1 Dec 04 2012 at 11:18 PM Rating: Sub-Default
Avatar
*
89 posts
When I returned to the game some people told me MNK was the top DD.. and it made me even happier believing when i reached endgame i would be the top DD.. but when i started hanging around an elitist LS with all endgame stuff, they started to tell me different..

Their endgame top DD Scenario on the Totem Pole

| WAR, SAM, DRK Tied around #1
|
|
| DRG
|
| MNK

How true is this? Feedback and discussion appreciated fellow MNKs. I have reached level 99 with my MNK and almost have him fully merited, but i have yet to get all the endgame stuff and complete my weapon trials.
____________________________




#2 Dec 05 2012 at 4:35 AM Rating: Excellent
You brought this up over in the Best DD job now? topic over in =10, and it was already answered there by Kinematics.

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=10&mid=1333459017132922353&h=50&p=5#230

In short though, on higher level mobs, given how damage is calculated based on mob level and whether it's a one-handed weapon (or H2h) vs. a two-handed weapon, two-handed weapon users are going to have about a 25% higher damage potential than a Monk would. Granted, things like gear, buffs, and just play style will factor into things, but just on paper, a Monk is already going to be behind by quite a bit.

Monk is a good DD for some content, but the current end-game environment (predominantly Legion), two-handed weapon users (Drk, War, etc) have a significant advantage over Monk.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points


My thoughts and reviews on all sorts of sci-fi stuff...and things.
#3 Dec 06 2012 at 1:23 PM Rating: Good
Drunken English Bastard
*****
15,261 posts
What Vlor said, basically.

No one plays just one job any more, any way. Monk is my main job, but Warrior is what I end up doing most content as. My Monk still gets plenty of playtime, though.

It all depends what you want to do in game.

tl;dr, play more than one job.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#4 Dec 15 2012 at 2:36 AM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,106 posts
MNK is very solid in Abyssea, it had notably high HP and was well suited to being able to duo almost anything with a WHM, but when newer high level content came out, all melees that weren't 2-handers started to take more of a backseat to the ones that were in terms of damage. I'm not sure about how the new HQ Salvage event works but if it plays anything like the old Salvage did, MNK will still be desired in there due to being one of the more capable weapon-less DDs.

It's still good, just not top-tier DD. Technically speaking, it never really was. Other than Salvage, MNK has more of a chance to shine in scenarios where you can actually hold hate and counter things to add to your damage, while still being able to take advantage of MNK's high HP and decent evasion skill in order to not actually get killed. This doesn't actually happen in the newer endgame content (nobody really tanks; after a few seconds into the fight hate just seesaws among the people who have most recently landed an attack). But in places like Abyssea MNK has far better longevity compared to something like WAR, for instance.
#5 Dec 19 2012 at 12:33 PM Rating: Default
Avatar
*
89 posts
Nilatai wrote:

It all depends what you want to do in game.


I want to do the most damage period, but then again from when Fynlar is saying, it would make me feel better about myself if in a dangerous situation where the Monk outlives the Warrior and Dark Knight

Fynlar wrote:
MNK is very solid in Abyssea, it had notably high HP and ..
But in places like Abyssea MNK has far better longevity compared to something like WAR, for instance.


Ok, so i will be able to survive in more dangerous situations then WAR and DRK?

Basically i hope your right in saying this because.., i see them getting gear that can make them tank 30 Mandgragas then cleave them all, (Armor where they take less % physical damage)

Monks to my knowledge can't get that type of armor that makes you take smaller damage. So with that said would you still say Monks outlive them in a dangerous situation?

I want some things or confidence boosters that that will keep me playing monk then going over to another higher tier DD job. My MNK is 99, and ive always
really liked monk, i tried DRK recently up to 50 and.. the damage output is insane with Last Resort +Souleater


Edited, Dec 19th 2012 1:36pm by AlexFitz

Edited, Dec 19th 2012 1:36pm by AlexFitz
____________________________




#6 Dec 19 2012 at 5:23 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,398 posts
AlexFitz wrote:
Nilatai wrote:

It all depends what you want to do in game.


I want to do the most damage period, but then again from when Fynlar is saying, it would make me feel better about myself if in a dangerous situation where the Monk outlives the Warrior and Dark Knight

Fynlar wrote:
MNK is very solid in Abyssea, it had notably high HP and ..
But in places like Abyssea MNK has far better longevity compared to something like WAR, for instance.


Ok, so i will be able to survive in more dangerous situations then WAR and DRK?

Basically i hope your right in saying this because.., i see them getting gear that can make them tank 30 Mandgragas then cleave them all, (Armor where they take less % physical damage)

Monks to my knowledge can't get that type of armor that makes you take smaller damage. So with that said would you still say Monks outlive them in a dangerous situation?

I want some things or confidence boosters that that will keep me playing monk then going over to another higher tier DD job. My MNK is 99, and ive always
really liked monk, i tried DRK recently up to 50 and.. the damage output is insane with Last Resort +Souleater


Edited, Dec 19th 2012 1:36pm by AlexFitz

Edited, Dec 19th 2012 1:36pm by AlexFitz




you're getting sub-defaulted because you're asking for something that no one here can give you (confidence in your choice of job), you don't appear to be very informed on your own job (monk gets plenty of -PDT gear and cleaves just fine with Cataclysm), you don't seem to know what you want exactly (top DD, or survivable DD), and you're asking the same questions over and over despite having gotten answers.


My advice would be to level DRK or WAR and play that also. There is no rule that says you can only play one job in this game.
Check ffxiclopedia for -PDT gear for your monk. Use monk when you want to tank, DRK or WAR for when you want to win parses.

i un-sub-defaulted you, because i'm guessing you are young/inexperienced/just don't know any better, and really none of those things are anything to necessarily be ashamed of.

Edited, Dec 19th 2012 6:26pm by Llester
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#7AlexFitz, Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 6:34 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I appreciate the advice and info you gave in that post, but this last part, really?
#8 Dec 20 2012 at 11:30 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
316 posts
AlexFitz wrote:
Llester wrote:
AlexFitz wrote:
[quote=Nilatai]
.[/i]


i un-sub-defaulted you, because i'm guessing you are young/inexperienced/just don't know any better, and really none of those things are anything to necessarily be ashamed of.

Edited, Dec 19th 2012 6:26pm by Llester


I appreciate the advice and info you gave in that post, but this last part, really?

I don't know what you mean by un-sub-defaulted, also just because im not sure what i want, or what exactly it is im looking for, because this game doesn't tell you in black and white, doesn't mean you gotta call me Young, or Inexperienced. Im 22 for your information and im sorry im not an ELITE PRO ZERG FFXI PLAYER / TOP TIER LS guy yet, and thats especially one of the reasons im posting here. I only have been 99 for about a week or 2 and haven't seen everything there is to see.


Edited, Dec 20th 2012 7:36am by AlexFitz


How good you are an "old school" player than. Jesus man stop making a fool of yourself.
____________________________
G.Gause -Mithra / Fenrir-
BST99 Guttler 29/12/2011

Baduizm.
#9 Dec 20 2012 at 12:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,398 posts
AlexFitz wrote:
Llester wrote:
AlexFitz wrote:
[quote=Nilatai]
.[/i]


i un-sub-defaulted you, because i'm guessing you are young/inexperienced/just don't know any better, and really none of those things are anything to necessarily be ashamed of.

Edited, Dec 19th 2012 6:26pm by Llester


I appreciate the advice and info you gave in that post, but this last part, really?

I don't know what you mean by un-sub-defaulted, also just because im not sure what i want, or what exactly it is im looking for, because this game doesn't tell you in black and white, doesn't mean you gotta call me Young, or Inexperienced. Im 22 for your information and im sorry im not an ELITE PRO ZERG FFXI PLAYER / TOP TIER LS guy yet, and thats especially one of the reasons im posting here. I only have been 99 for about a week or 2 and haven't seen everything there is to see.


Edited, Dec 20th 2012 7:36am by AlexFitz


This forum has a rating system.. If people don't like your posts, they click the red "rate down" button. Once you get rated down enough, to the sub-default level, your posts are no longer visible (unless you enable the "never filter" option at the top of the page). I was trying to cut you some slack, and also explain to you why people were rating you down. This forum isn't even particularly elitist compared to some. (hai there BG) But the regulars tend to get annoyed when someone asks for advice, gets it, then either refuses to follow it (not something you did, but it happens a lot) or keeps asking the same question in different words.

Believe it or not, i wasn't trying to be mean or condescending. I gathered from the tone of your post that you were either a younger player, and/or inexperienced with the game/this forum. Nothing is wrong with either of those things. sh*t, I'd love to be 22 again. I do apologize if I came off as harsh. but i felt like someone should say something by way of explanation instead of just letting your posts "disappear".
____________________________
monk
dragoon

#10 Dec 20 2012 at 5:33 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
297 posts
Quote:
this game doesn't tell you in black and white


It doesn't. There are different things you can gear your job to do. You want to survive focus on survival gear. Want to cause major damage then gear for that. Want both, find a middle ground you like. End game, pick one focus and go with it. I am new to end game post abyssea but before you would gear according to what the event called for.

Right now focus on one aspect and gear for that. Learn more about old school events: Sky, Sea, Ground Kings, Dynamis and nation missions.
#11AlexFitz, Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 9:31 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) [#6ff]I want to know what jobs do the most damage in these situations: Regular Damage, plus Empy weapon skills., and if its still "Situational" then, i want to what jobs rank from 1 - 5 in the highest percentage of situations. Best DD gear they can get for that situation, ranked into one rank list 1-5
#12 Dec 21 2012 at 2:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
316 posts
AlexFitz wrote:
Quote:
How good you are an "old school" player than. Jesus man stop making a fool of yourself.


I played back when leveling was took an extreme amount of time, and the highest level I got to was 42. Im really making a fool of myself because im asking questions. If im making a fool of myself to people like you, because im not an elite player, atleast not yet, i really don't care.



Zymunn wrote:
Quote:
this game doesn't tell you in black and white


It doesn't. There are different things you can gear your job to do. You want to survive focus on survival gear.



I want to know what jobs do the most damage in these situations: Regular Damage, plus Empy weapon skills., and if its still "Situational" then, i want to what jobs rank from 1 - 5 in the highest percentage of situations. Best DD gear they can get for that situation, ranked into one rank list 1-5

Also i couldn't qoute you up there because im trying to quote too many people at once, if sub defaulting means you can't see their post period, that is the dumbest forum idea ive ever heard


Yes ive been answered this question before in a general topic, BUT the reason i posted this here is because mainly i wanted to hear what other Monks thought where they rank in the DD category or ranking it, and their opinion. Different people have different answers


Edited, Dec 20th 2012 10:33pm by AlexFitz

Edited, Dec 20th 2012 10:34pm by AlexFitz


No, because it is about math NOT opinion, and the general answer was given to you in the first place. Also, how about you do some research, cause frankly, there are TONS of threads answering/discussing your/similar questions here, on ffxiah.com and BG. You just have to click on it and read,

And sorry if i understood your signature wrong, but "oldschool player" = "seasoned player" to me, sorry if i got that wrong. And please don´t use the blue colour, it just hurts the eyes.
____________________________
G.Gause -Mithra / Fenrir-
BST99 Guttler 29/12/2011

Baduizm.
#13AlexFitz, Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 2:44 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) I have read other threads, and they have been from allazkham. I looked in the DRK section and they said MNK would outdamage a DRK. But then in other threads, like this one people are saying the complete opposite.
#14 Dec 22 2012 at 5:17 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
316 posts
In some places/fights, depending on buffs etc, mnk will be better, drk will be better, or war will be better. I really don´t know what else to tell you, cause the basic (mathematical) answer which will diferentiate between the above three options has been given to you in the other thread allready.

Really, what you need to do is to be a little patient, play the game & the jobs, talk to people, and read other forums than this one as well (i´m talking about ffxiah.com mainly), and in time you will know which/when/why.

____________________________
G.Gause -Mithra / Fenrir-
BST99 Guttler 29/12/2011

Baduizm.
#15 Dec 22 2012 at 6:19 PM Rating: Excellent
AlexFitz wrote:
Mosel wrote:
AlexFitz wrote:
Quote:
How good you are an "old school" player than. Jesus man stop making a fool of yourself.


I played back when leveling was took an extreme amount of time, and the highest level I got to was 42. Im really making a fool of myself because im asking questions. If im making a fool of myself to people like you, because im not an elite player, atleast not yet, i really don't care.



Zymunn wrote:
Quote:
this game doesn't tell you in black and white


It doesn't. There are different things you can gear your job to do. You want to survive focus on survival gear.



I want to know what jobs do the most damage in these situations: Regular Damage, plus Empy weapon skills., and if its still "Situational" then, i want to what jobs rank from 1 - 5 in the highest percentage of situations. Best DD gear they can get for that situation, ranked into one rank list 1-5

Also i couldn't qoute you up there because im trying to quote too many people at once, if sub defaulting means you can't see their post period, that is the dumbest forum idea ive ever heard


Yes ive been answered this question before in a general topic, BUT the reason i posted this here is because mainly i wanted to hear what other Monks thought where they rank in the DD category or ranking it, and their opinion. Different people have different answers


Edited, Dec 20th 2012 10:33pm by AlexFitz

Edited, Dec 20th 2012 10:34pm by AlexFitz


No, because it is about math NOT opinion, and the general answer was given to you in the first place. Also, how about you do some research, cause frankly, there are TONS of threads answering/discussing your/similar questions here, on ffxiah.com and BG. You just have to click on it and read,

And sorry if i understood your signature wrong, but "oldschool player" = "seasoned player" to me, sorry if i got that wrong. And please don´t use the blue colour, it just hurts the eyes.


I have read other threads, and they have been from allazkham. I looked in the DRK section and they said MNK would outdamage a DRK. But then in other threads, like this one people are saying the complete opposite.


In what situations are they saying that a Mnk is going to outdamage a Drk? In Abyssea, where Critical Hit weaponskills tend to outshine non-Crit Hit WS, Monk is going to pull ahead because Victory Smite is just that powerful of a weaponskill when boosted by Critical Hit Atmas. In content like Legion however, given the level of the mobs in there, the fact that mobs have a Critical Hit Penalty to them (i.e. your critical hit rate is reduced on them), and the significant accuracy issues that a Monk is going to have over a two-handed DD, a good Dark Knight is going to be running circles around a good Monk.
____________________________
Lady Jinte wrote:

Vlorsutes' Negotiation Skill rises 0.2 points
Vlorsutes' Observant Parent Skill rises 0.3 points
Vlorsutes' Argument Diffusing Skill rises 0.1 points


My thoughts and reviews on all sorts of sci-fi stuff...and things.
#16 Dec 23 2012 at 4:27 AM Rating: Decent
Jack of All Trades
******
29,106 posts
Quote:
Ok, so i will be able to survive in more dangerous situations then WAR and DRK?

Basically i hope your right in saying this because.., i see them getting gear that can make them tank 30 Mandgragas then cleave them all, (Armor where they take less % physical damage)

Monks to my knowledge can't get that type of armor that makes you take smaller damage. So with that said would you still say Monks outlive them in a dangerous situation?


All I can really say is, one of the primary reasons I got tired of playing WAR even having a Ukonvasara is because of how easily it gets killed compared to my MNK. I don't typically play DRK but I imagine that job would not be much different.

Cleaves are a little bit of a different scenario from the norm; you've often got a healer curebombing one particular person (whoever's got the attention of the mob train at any particular time).

As far as MNK vs DRK goes, you were probably reading an opinion in the context of Abyssea, where the scythe and great sword take a bit of a backseat due to not possessing any good critical-hit WS, and by now at level 99 cap the mobs there are mostly around our level or lower, meaning 1-handers like MNK don't take as much of a backseat compared to 2-hander weapons as they do in the higher level content like Legion and high-tier Voidwatch.

Edited, Dec 23rd 2012 5:27am by Fynlar
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 35 All times are in CDT
Anonymous Guests (35)