Forum Settings
       
« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

Monk Gear GuideFollow

#1 Nov 04 2008 at 2:39 AM Rating: Good
*****
15,264 posts
Much like the Warrior's ******* by lolgaxe, i'm going to show new MNKs what kind of gear they should be aiming for in the coming levels.

Unlike the WAR thread, however, i'm only going to include average or better gear.

Special thanks for Jinté and Sandmaster for helping out.

Disclaimer wrote:
This thread is to be a point of reference, you must read the Monk Index to find out how certain gears perform against others. Please don't think this is a Guide that will Spoon feed you. You are expected to use rational and intelligent thought with the information you obtain in both stickies.


Note: Any and All items not mentioned in this Guide have been deemed Pieces of sh*t, or were released recently enough that we haven't determined their stats weight against other gear, but are still likely to be sh*t in the long run.

Right, let's get started.


Weapons

Lvl 1 - Cesti. Available from Weapon NPCs in Windurst and San d'Oria, or available for a few k on your AH in Bastok. These really are perfect for 1-10.

Lvl 10 - Legionnaire's Knuckles. Get them, they're worth it. Easiest if you're Bastokan, only 1000 Conquest Points, 3k if you're non-Bastokan.

Lvl 15 - Republic Knuckles If you have to stop and farm for a few days to afford these do it, they'll last you until level 30.

Lvl 30 - Boreas Cesti. Drops from Kirata. Easily Soloable if you have a higher level job, if not ask your friends to help.

Lvl 32 - Impact Knuckles If you can't get Boreas Cesti, get a pair of these. They drop from Mee Deggi the Punisher, we'll come back to him later.

Lvl 38 - Mythril Knuckles +1 By this level you should be able to farm sufficiently enough to afford a +1 Weapon, get them.

Lvl 39 - Vampiric Claws. Not essential, but certainly nice if you can get them, they drop from Tres Duendes in Phomiuna Aqueducts. Use these for Blunt resistant mobs only, they deal Slashing DMG, Blunt DMG during WS.

Lvl 42 - Beat Cesti. These are included because they're the AF weapon and it's impossible to not get them really. Obtained through the quest Ghosts of the Past.PLEASE, DO NOT USE THESE FOR HITTING THINGS, THEY SUCK. YOU ONLY REQUIRE THEM SO YOU CAN CONTINUE WITH YOUR ARTIFACT QUESTS. THANK YOU.

Lvl 46 - Exocets Decent weapon, but not entirely necessary.

Lvl50 - Cross-Counters or Retaliators One of the better weapons available to you. Cross-Counters available from AH or BCNM60 Brothers D'Aurphe. Retaliators drop from Western Shadow.

Lvl 50 - Tactician Magician's Hooks. A great alternative to CC/Retaliators.

Lvl 52 - Tactician Magician's Hooks +2. If you got T.M. Hooks at level 50, upgrade to these. If you got CC/Retaliators, don't bother.

Lvl 70 - Hades Sainti. Some people like to use these for certain things. I personally think they're overrated and not at all better than a set of unlocked Destroyers.

Lvl 71 - Shenlong's Baghnakhs. Confirmed drop from the Tier V ZNM Pandemonium Warden. No actual parsed data as yet, but it is considered they are our best non-relic Weapon. Good luck getting a pair.

Lvl 72 - Wagh Baghnakhs. Yes, seriously, these are your next upgrade after level 50-52. Cheap on most all servers.

Lvl 73 - Destroyers (Unlocked ONLY). Obtain these from the KSNM30s Copycat and Double Dragonian. Good luck with the drop.

Lvl 73 - Faith Baghnakhs. Not better than Destroyers for most things. Certainly excellent for /DNC solo situations. Obtained from Jailer of Faith.

Lvl 75 - Glanzfaust(Mythic Weapon) More information as it becomes available.

Lvl 75 - Spharai(Relic Weapon) Info can be found here.


Head

Lvl 1 - Bronze Cap

Lvl 11 - Monk's Headgear Obtained from quest Out of One's Shell

Lvl 16 - Bone Mask +1 If you can afford it

Lvl 20 - Mercenary's Hachimaki Obtained using 2k Windurst Conquest Points.

Lvl 24 - Empress Hairpin. Obtained from Valkurm Emperor. See also Emperor Hairpin, available from AH or BCNM30 Dropping like Flies.

Lvl 25 - Federation Hachimaki.

Lvl 30 - Fancy SpectaclesAt this level they really are the best you can wear during the daytime.


Lvl 39 - Sinister Mask. Obtained from Mahisha in Phomiuna Aqueducts.

Lvl 41 - Voyager Sallet. Obtained from Carmine Dobsonfly in Riverne - Site #A01.

Lvl 50 - Storm Zucchetto. Obtained from the ??? Headpiece from SP assault, Sagelord Assasination(??? Item may not always appraise into the desired item).

Lvl 50 - Raven Beret. Decent Piece for all your MNKing needs, solo or exp.

Lvl 51 - Vampire Mask. Worth a mention, night time only.

Lvl 52 - Super Ribbon. Obtained from BCNM50 An Awful Autopsy, BCNM50 Eye of the Tiger and BCNM50 The Final Bout.

Lvl 56 - Temple Crown. Again, here because you can't avoid getting it, nor should you. Excellent for your Focus macro. Obtained from the Garlaige Citadel Coffer, after completing Borghertz's Striking Hands
Focus Macro wrote:
/equip head "Temple Crown"
/ja Focus <me>
/equip head "Head equip you use for TPing"


Lvl 68 - Cobra Unit Cap. Certainly an upgrade to whatever you're using at the moment. Whether you want to get one for 2-3 levels, is up to you. Costs 40,000 Allied Notes from Federal Army of Windurst.

Lvl 70 -Optical Hat. Obtained from Hakutaku

Lvl 70 - Maat's Cap. Nice if you have it, don't worry about it if you don't.

Lvl 71 - Hissho Hachimaki. An excellent multi-hit WS piece. Obtained from ZNM Wulgaru

Lvl 72 - Enkidu's Cap. Nice if for some reason you don't have Optical Hat or Hissho Hachimaki. Obtained from the ZNMs Tinnin & Tyger.

Lvl 72 - Pahluwan Qalansuwa. Nice if for some reason you don't have Optical Hat or Hissho Hachimaki. Obtained using 20k Leujaoam Sanctum Assault Points.

Lvl 73 - Shura Zunari Kabuto. Decent WS Piece.

Lvl 75 - Genbu's Kabuto. Obtained from Genbu(Duh). Best thing you can put on your head for Chakra.

Lvl 75 Melee Crown. Just because you'll end up with one eventually.

Lvl 75 - Walahra Turban. Obtained by trading 1000 Imperial Bronze to Gajaad. I recommend trading them to him in 10 groups of 99 +1 so you obtain 9 Walahra Waters aswell as the Turban.

Lvl 75 - Usukane Somen




Neck

Lvl 7 - Regen Collar. Nice for solo and exp if you can get one. Crafted.

Lvl 14 - Van Pendant. Obtained from Nihniknoovi(try saying that when you're drunk) in La Theine Plataeu.

Lvl 21 - Spike Necklace. Yes, you do need the HQ. Get farming.

Lvl 25 - Tiger Stole. Nice alternative to Spike Necklece, not an upgrade from it though.

Lvl 33 - Peacock Charm. One of the best neck equips in the game for your meleeing needs. Obtained from BCNM40 Under Observation.

Lvl 33 - Peacock Amulet. Same as PCC, slightly harder to obtain. Drops from Argus in Maze of Shakrimi.

Lvl 59 - Spectacles. Nice if you can't get PCC/PCA.

Lvl 60 - Chivalrous Chain. Decent neck equip. Obtained using 8k Lebros Cavern Assault Points.

Lvl 65 - Grand Temple Knight's Collar. Only works in Signet areas.

Lvl 72 - WS Gorgets: Obtained from the quest In the Name of Science.
ElmerthePointy wrote:
Quote:
What does [book] say aboot gorgets and multi hit weaponskills (because there is always some doubt floating around...)
Weapon Skill Accuracy & Damage Up
Accuracy +10 (est.) , same effect on Multi-Hit WS, ranged Acc also up
Damage +10% to each WS multiplier, that is, it has a bigger effect on WS with lower multipliers


Lvl 72 - Soil Gorget. For use during Asuran Fists.

Lvl 72 - Breeze Gorget. For use during Dragon Kick.

Lvl 72 - Thunder Gorget. For use during Dragon Kick, Howling Fist & Raging Fists.

Lvl 73 - Faith Torque. Best Hand-to-Hand related item you can put on your neck bar-none.

Lvl 74 - Ancient Torque. Obtained from Lambton Worm.

Lvl 75 - Orochi Nodowa. Great solo/resting piece.


Body

Lvl 1 - RSE Starting gear, perfectly acceptable if MNK is your first job.(****, even if it's not).

Lvl 1 - Bronze Harness

Lvl 1 - Vagabond's Tunica

Lvl 8 - Kenpogi +1. HQ not needed, but it's nice to get into the habbit early.

Lvl 13 - Power Gi. Obtained from the quest Overnight Delivery.

Lvl 16 - Bone Harness +1Again, not needed but nice to have.

Lvl 21 - Beetle Harness +1

Lvl 30 - Mercenary Captain's Doublet

Lvl 40 - Jujitsu Gi. Obtained from Poisonhand Gonad. Please don't level past 40 without this. Stop, farm or camp the NM until you get one.

Lvl 50 - Raven Jupon. Not the best you can equip, but a nice alternative.

Lvl 57 - Scorpion Harness. GET ONE. (HQ isn't too expensive these days either).

Lvl 58 - Temple Cyclas. Included because you should get one, no excuses. Obtained from the Beadeaux Coffer after completing the quest Borghertz's Striking Hands.
Chakra Macro wrote:
/equip body "Temple Cyclas
/ja Chakra <me>
/equip body "Scorpion Harness" (Or whatever you TP in)


Lvl 68 - Arakan Samue One of the best solo options out there. Don't use in exp parties!

Lvl 68 - Cobra Unit Harness. This now trumps NQ SH. Obviously if you have a SH+1 you should skip this step.

Lvl 71 - Antares Harness Improvement on SH(+1)& Pahluwan Body, still kind of rare and expensive atm though.

Lvl 72 - Enkidu's Harness. Obtained from the ZNM Tinnin. Information on how this compares to other body pieces can be found in the Sticky, read it.

Lvl 72 - Pahluwan Khazagand. Obtained using 20k Ilrusi Atoll Assault Points.

Lvl 73 - Shura Togi. One of the best Endgame items for a MNK. Dryadic Abjuration: Body obtained from Kirin.

Lvl 74 - Melee Cyclas. Obtained from Dynamis - Beaucedine. Good for resting while soloing.

Lvl 75 - Denali Jacket. I'll be honest here, i just think it looks nice. Obtained from Floor 80 Nyzul Isle.

Lvl 75 - Kirin's Osode. Better than Scorpion Harness at least. Obtained from Kirin(Obviously).

Lvl 75 - Hachiryu Haramaki, drops from the Tier V ZNM Pandemonium Warden. Now that this is confirmed, this body piece is now your best TP piece(Usurping Shura Togi), assuming you do not own a full set of Usukane. Good luck!

Lvl 75 - Usukane Haramaki. Does not outperform Shura Togi until you obtain the full set.

Lvl 75 - Mirke Waldecors Finally! A MNK Haubergeon. I should point out that the correct combo for augments is 10Att & 10Acc. If you get DA+2% you will be shot on sight. Discussion comparing Mirke Waldecors to Shura Togi can be found here



Hands

Lvl 1 - Vagabond's Gloves. Nothing like hHP to help on the road to level 10.

Lvl 10 - Legionnaire's Mittens. First item of armour that'll really add anything to your DDing capabilities. Obtained using 1k Bastokan CP.

Lvl 14 - Battle Gloves. Obtained from the chest in King Ranperre's Tomb. Key drops from; Goblin Tinkerer, Goblin Butcher, Goblin Ambusher, Rockeater, Plague Bats, Nachzehrer, Tomb Bat, Goblin Gruel and Crypt Ghost(NM). Excellent low level gloves, i highly recommend these.

Lvl 25 - Federation Tekko. Not really an upgrade from Battle Gloves, but some people like to use higher level equips, for the DEF or something.

Lvl 27 - Custom M Gloves. Nice if you have them, done worry if not, Hume Male only. Custom F Gloves give the exact same stats, Hume Female only.

Lvl 34 - Horomusha Kote. Obtained from Boroka in Riverne - Site #B01.

Lvl 34 - Ochiudo's Kote/Ochimusha Kote. Okay! Stop leveling, start farming! You need these, they'll stay glued to your hands until level 75 and beyond. Ochiudo's are obtained from the AH or from BCNM60 Divine Punishers. If you can farm them up, good for you. If you're going for the Ra/Ex and MNK is your first job you're going to need some help. They drop from Mee Deggi the Punisher. Happy hunting!

Lvl 54 - Temple Gloves. These are your AF gloves, obtained from the quest Borghertz's Striking Hands. You'll want these for your Boost Macro.
Boost Macro wrote:
/equip hands "Temple Gloves"
/ja Boost <me>
/equip hands "Ochiudo's Kote"


Lvl 72 - Pahluwan Dastanas. Not really an upgrade from Okote, but they're there. Obtained with 20k Lebros Cavern Assault Points.

Lvl 73 - Bandomusha Kote. One of the best TP piece for MNK you can put on your hands. Obtained from Xolotl

Lvl 73 - Melee Gloves. These really are worth getting. Decent for solo. They go nicely into your Chakra macro too. Obtained from Dynamis - Jeuno.

Lvl 74 - Noritsune Kote. Good for when excessive ammounts of Accuracy are required. Obtained from Tiamat. Information comparing MNK Att gloves to NKote can be found here. Thanks to Milich.

Lvl 75 - Denali Wristbands. Certainly nice for soloing. Obtained from Floor 60 Nyzul Isle.

Lvl 75 - Usukane Gote. Don't really outdo the MNK/SAM/NIN Att+ gloves until you have the full set.


Waist

Lvl 1 - White Belt. If you're awesome enough to start the game as MNK, you get one of these.

Lvl 18 - Purple Belt. Obtained from the quest Silence of the Rams. If MNK is your first job, you'll require help with this quest.

Lvl 40 - Brown Belt. Obtained from the quest Fistful of Fury. Again, if MNK is your first job you'll require some help.

Lvl 48 - Life Belt. Good WS Piece or for when you need that extra Acc. Obtained from the chest in Fei'Yin. Keys drop from; Ore Golem, Shadow and Underworld Bats.

Lvl 60 - Potent Belt. Obtained with 10k Leujaoam Sanctum Assault Points. Not really that much of an improvement over Life Belt, but it's there.

Lvl 70 - Black Belt. End-all, be-all waist equipment for a MNK. Obtained from the quest Beat around the Bushin. Good Luck!

Lvl71 - Warwolf Belt. Good for Chakra, don't melee in it.


Legs

Lvl 1 - Vagabond's Hose. Again, nice hHP for the grind to level 10.

Lvl 11 - Brass Subligar. Just because wearing something is better than wearing nothing.

Lvl 25 - Republic Subligar. I don't care if you "think it looks ***", get one! It's the single best thing you can put on your legs for a very long time.

Lvl 50 - Raven Hose. If you're sick of looking at your legs, here's something almost as useful that you'll be forgiven for using instead.

Lvl 60 - Temple Hose. For the love of all that is good and pure in the universe DON'T use these in exp parties. Obtained from the quest True Stength.DISCLAIMER: The only reason to actually get these is for 2 reasons; 1) The title, 2)Storing your AF. They're not useful to you.

Lvl 60 - Strike Subligar. Fairly decent, only use if you are using Kick DMG+ shoes. Obtained from ISNM60 Tough Nut to Crack.

Lvl 68 - Cobra Subligar. Certainly an upgrade from Strike Subligar. Obtained using 50k Windurstian Allied Notes. 70k from any other nation.

Lvl 71 - Prince's Slops. Not as good as the Cobra Sublgiar but certainly an upgrade from Strike Subligar.

Lvl 72 - Melee Hose. Great if you use them with Kick DMG+ shoes. Obtained from Dynamis - San d'Oria.

Lvl 72 - Pahluwan Seraweels. Great if you don't plan on doing sky ever. Obtained with 20k Mamool Ja Assault Points.

Lvl 73 - Shura Haidate. A step up from Melee Hose. Dryadic Abjuration: Legs drops from Byakko.

Lvl 75 - Bahamut's Hose. Better than Melee Hose, not better than Shura Haidate. Obtained from The Wyrmking Decends(Bahamut V2.0).

Lvl 75 - Denali Kecks. These are good if you don't have any of the other endgame legs for MNK. Obtained from floor 40 Nyzul Isle.

Lvl 75 - Barbarossa's Zerehs. Not as good as Byakko's Haidate, but a decent alternative if you don't do sky. Obtained from the quest Targeting the Captain.

Lvl 75 - Byakko's Haidate. Obtained from Byakko(Smiley: rolleyes). Best equip for your legs until you get full Usukane.

Lvl 75 - Usukane Hizayoroi. Better than Byakko's if you have the full set.


Feet

Note wrote:
At this point i'd like to point out that there is alot of discussion about MNK Footwear. Many links to such discussions can be found the the Sticky, pleas read them to make an informed decision. Thanks



Lvl 1 - Vagabond's Boots. Again not much else, might aswell be hHP.

Lvl 18 - Power Sandals[/quote]. Because, well why not I guess? Booby prize from Test My Mettle.

Lvl 25 - Federation Kyahan. Last for a long while, even when you're not TPing in them they're good for WSing in.

Lvl 39 - Fuma Kyahan/Sarutobi Kyahan. Sarutobi Kyahan drop from Quu Domi the Gallant in Castle Oztroja. Fuma Kyahan are available on the AH, also from BCNM60 Divine Punishers.

Lvl 50 - Raven Gaiters. For when you're ripping too much hate.

Lvl 50 - Seikenshi Habaki. Yes you should get the HQ if you're going to get them. The Acc +3 is a nice bonus to the Kick DMG+

Lvl 51 - Kung Fu Shoes. These give DMG+25 to your Kicks. (Note: This is the same as a H2H weapon with DMG+25.)

Lvl 52 - Temple Gaiters. Obtained from the quest The First Meeting. Use in your Dodge Macro.

Dodge Macro wrote:
/equip feet "Temple Gaiters"
/ja Dodge <me>
/equip feet "<tp shoes here"


Lvl 59 - Tabin Boots. Decent for WS if you don't have Seikenshi Habaki.

Lvl 60 - Seirenshi Habaki. Not actually better than Seikenshi Habaki but they're available to you.

Lvl 66 - Wulong Shoes. Upgrade from and Crafted using Kung Fu Shoes. DMG+27.

Lvl 66 - Wulong Shoes +1. Same as above. Kick DMG+30.

Lvl 68 - Cobra Unit Leggings. Decent WS Piece if you don't have any other Acc+ shoes. Obtained using 50k Windurstian Allied Notes, i'd assume 70k from other nations.

Lvl 70 - Dune Boots. Obtained from Sabotender Bailarina. Essentially this NM is always up. Can be taken down with a compotent party of 6. Kick Attacks DMG+30

Lvl 71 - Melee Gaiters. Obtained from Dynamis - Bastok. Enhance Counterstance effect is discussed in the Sticky, go read it.
Counterstance Macro wrote:
/equip feet Melee Gaiters
/ja Counterstance <me>
/equip feet "<tp boots here>"


Lvl 72 - Fuma Sune-Ate. Again, haste shoes Vs others is discussed in the Sticky, please read.

Lvl 72 - Pahluwan Crackows. Decent WS Piece.

Lvl 75 - Denali Gamashes. Second best WS Boots, Usukane are better. Obtained from Nyzul Isle Investigation - Floor 20.

Lvl 75 - Usukane Sune-ate. Just about the only Footwear the MNK Community can agree on. These are the best. If you only get one Piece of Usukane, make sure these are it.


Back

Lvl 12 - Traveler's Mantle. Nothing really worth mentioning before this.

Lvl 24 - Nomad's Mantle. Slight upgrade from Traveler's.

Lvl 30 - Wyvern Mantle. Worth a mention, some people like to sub DRG before 50. Obtained from BCNM30 Dropping Like Flies.

Lvl 47 - Jaguar Mantle. Obtained from the quest For the Birds. If you've been using Wyvern Mantle up 'til now, get one of these and start subbing WAR.

Lvl 61 - Amemet Mantle +1. Yes, you need the HQ.

Lvl 70 - Boxer's Mantle. Purchased from Sagheera for 75 Ancient Beastcoins. This is a soloing piece only.

Lvl 71 - Forager's Mantle. Slight upgrade from Amemet Mantle +1.

Lvl 74 - Cuchulain's Mantle. Obtained from the Wings of the Goddess BCNM Splitting Heirs. Decent for WS and situations where High ammounts of Acc are required.


Earrings

Lvl 10 - Optical Earring. Obtained from Maighdean Uaine in North Gustaburg.

Lvl 16 - Bone Earring +1. Yes, +1.

Lvl 21 - Beetle Earring +1. Yes, +1.

Lvl 30 - Wyvern Earring. Again if you're going to /DRG before 50 this is worth getting. Obtained from the BCNM30s; Carapace Combatants, Creeping Doom & Die by the Sword.

Lvl 50 - Storm Loop. Appraised from the ??? Earring that drops from the Lebros Cavern, Private Second Class Assault. (Note: ??? Items may not always appraise into desired results).

Lvl 55 - Spike Earring. Best Value for money upgrade from Beetle Earring +1.

Lvl 63 - Merman's Earring. Upgrade from Spike Earring.

Lvl 65 - Diabolos's Earring. Not sure why Alla dosn't list them, but the stats are as follows: Acc +3. Dark weather: Acc -3 Magic Accuracy +2. Obtained from the quest Waking Dreams.

Lvl 70 - Fenrir's Earring. Daytime only. Obtained from the quest The Moonlit Path.

Lvl 72 - Hollow Earring. Obtained from Apocalypse Nigh. If MNK is your main job it's recommneded that you get this earring from this quest. Please note: If you need more information on the Apocalypse Nigh debate within the MNK community, please refer to this thread.

Lvl 75 - Brutal Earring. Honestly, the best thing you can put on your Ear. Purchased from Sagheera for 75 Ancient Beastcoins.


Rings

Lvl 1 - San d'Orian Ring. Obtained by starting your Game in San d'Oria or for 4k San d'Orian Conquest Points.

Lvl 1 - Bastokan Ring. Obtained by starting your Game in Bastok or for 4k Bastokan Conquest Points.

Lvl 14 - Mighty Ring. A pair(yes, the effects stack) of these is the best ring combo you can use until lvl 40, in terms of DoT.

Lvl 14 - Vision Ring. Again the effects stack. One of these and a Mighty Ring would be your #2 combo until lvl 40. A pair of them would be the #3 Combo until 40, in terms of DoT.

* Vision / Balance Rings aren't nearly as big a boost to your stats as Mighty/Courage Rings at this level range.
milich's explanation wrote:
suppose you have 100ATT, and you add 2x mighty rings to that, fighting a mob 7 levels above you that just checks low DEF. you have...

100ATT:
100/80-.35= .9

111ATT (2 m.rings, +10ATT, +2STR)
110/80-.35= 1.025

for a 15% melee damage increase. assuming really low ACC (50%, which isn't uncommon lowby), you'd need 15ACC to catch up to the % bonus of mighty rings. mighty rings' bonus will be higher if you don't have the mob checking low DEF (and lower if you're soloing; level correction makes ATT more potent).
even at 200ATT, mighty rings beat pre-sniper/woodsman competitors.

200ATT:
200/160-.35 = .9

211ATT: (2 m.rings)
211/160-.35 = .96875

for a 7.6% melee damage increase. assuming 60% ACC here (by the time you get 200ATT, your ACC should be coming up as well, hopefully to 70%+), you'd need about 9ACC. the progression to snipers actually fits pretty nicely, as the value of 10ATT sort of segues to around the value of 10~ACC right as sniper and woodsman become available. (because the bonus of ACC is more or less linear--it's relative to your ACC%, but not to your level or total ACC, like ATT basically is--the % bonus of snipers stays around the same as you level up, while the goodness of mighty rings drops and drops).



Lvl 30 - Rajas Ring. Obtained by Finishing the Chains of Promathia main storyline. An excellent ring to be sure, but not Optimal to full time until you get the full +4 to all stats(Level 60).
Kinematics wrote:
Simple explanation:

At 60 you get +4 dex, +4 str. +4 dex is +2 acc, so we primarily just want to look at 4 str (Rajas) vs 3 acc (Sniper). 4 str is pretty much a guaranteed +1 fStr. At level 60 with TMH+2's and base +4 fStr, another +1 is a 2.2% increase in base damage; 2.1% if using CC's. 3 acc is 1.5% hit rate; if your base hit rate is 70% (moderately low) then the extra accuracy is a 2.1% improvement.

So, without even considering the Store TP or extra +attack from the Str, the Rajas is on par with a Sniper for total damage at level 60, and thus a "solid replacement" from that level onward.
Full Discussion in this thread.



Lvl 30 - Divisor Ring. Obtained from appraising the ??? Ring from Leujaoam Sanctum, Sergent Major Assault.(Note: ??? Items may not always appraise into the desired item). Latent Active when your Main job is a multiple of 5.

Lvl 34 - Venerer Ring. Obtained from the quest Chasing Dreams. Worth a mention, although 2x Mighty Ring is still the best choice in terms of DoT before level 40.

Lvl 40 - Sniper's Ring. Crafted. Obtained from your local AH.

Lvl 40 - Woodsman Ring. Obtained from the ENM40s; Bad Seed, Test Your Mite & Fire in the Sky.

Note wrote:
I'd like to point out now that you really shouldn't advance past level 40 without a pair of Acc+5 rings, do so at risk to your own reputation


Lvl 49 - Ecphoria Ring. Obtained from Skogs Fru

Lvl 50 - Ulthalam's Ring. Obtained by completing Treasure's of Aht Urghan Mission 46.

Lvl 57 - Toreador's Ring. An upgrade from your 5Acc rings. Obtained from ENM50 Pulling the Plug. Check the sticky for a guide on how to solo this ENM.

Lvl 60 - Rajas Ring now better than a 5Acc ring.

Lvl 70 - Blood Ring. Sidegrade from Lvl 40 5Acc rings. Obtained from the ZNM Chigre

Lvl 75 - Iota Ring. Obtained with 15000 Ampoules of Therion Ichor. Please read this post before making a choice on whether this ring is worth it for your specific gear setup. Thanks.

Lvl 75 - Mars's Ring. Obtained by trading Sin of Insolence to Meret in Tavnazian Safehold.


Ammo

Lvl 1 - Happy Egg

Lvl 30 - JSE Sachet. Hume, Elf, Galka - worth it. Taru & Mithra - not so much.

Lvl 54 - Smart Grenade. The first useful ammo for MNK really.Obtained from the quest Message on the Wind. Warning: This item can be thrown.

Lvl 58 - Tiphia Sting. Obtained from Demonic Tiphia in Crawler's Nest. Upgrade from Smart Grenade.

Lvl 60 - Bibiki Seashell. For Chakra, and soloing Crabs and such. Obtained from the quest Got It All

Lvl 71 - Black Tathlum. Just about the only upgrade from Tiphia Sting you're gonna get. Obtained from Guivure in Ruhotz Silvermines






Please feel free to post any comments or suggest changes below. Thanks.

Edited, Sep 19th 2009 9:29am by Nilatai
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#2 Nov 04 2008 at 4:31 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
**
447 posts
Beuno.

How long is Empress/Emperor Hairpin consistently good for? Granted that $hit is situational.
____________________________
Tsamoc - Fenrir

Makalure Kanafinwe - Lamia

Milich, re: FFXIV wrote:
1) lol oh wow

2) gg ffxi


Brilliance.


SALAD
#3 Nov 04 2008 at 4:39 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
12,443 posts
you forgot Ecphoria Ring and Blood Ring. They're side-grades, but not having the negative stats is really nice.

also, tiphia sting can't be thrown, but smart grenade can.

Edited, Nov 4th 2008 6:42am by Jinte
____________________________
Theytak, Siren Server
LOLGAXE IS MY ETERNAL RIVAL!

Reiterpallasch wrote:
Glitterhands wrote:
Am I the only one who clicked on this thread expecting actual baby photos [of Jinte]? o.O

Except if it were baby photos, it would be like looking at before and afters of Michael Jackson. Only instead of turning into a white guy, he changes into a chick!
#4 Nov 04 2008 at 4:47 AM Rating: Good
*
153 posts
Great job! We've been needing an upgrade for a while with all the newer gear.
____________________________
Awelowynt - 75 MNK - Asura (Retired)
Cadfael Awelowynt - Besaid
#5 Nov 04 2008 at 4:52 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
15,264 posts
Professor Jinte wrote:
you forgot Ecphoria Ring and Blood Ring. They're side-grades, but not having the negative stats is really nice.

also, tiphia sting can't be thrown, but smart grenade can.

Edited, Nov 4th 2008 6:42am by Jinte



Bah, put the warning next to the wrong one XD


Edit: This is still a work in progress, i'm going to add the Enkidu's gear set aswell as whatever else is suggested. I reserve the right to use judgement on suggestions however :P

Edited, Nov 4th 2008 8:08am by Nilatai
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#6 Nov 04 2008 at 5:11 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
813 posts
I'm not going to go with Ethereal vs Hollow bit, but I think Ethereal still deserves a mention there simply because of the fact that it's a good earring for MNK who might pick it if the player has other jobs that would benefit from Ethereal more than Hollow.

Venerer Ring also deserves a mention IMO though should be replaced by Sniper's/Woodsman at 40. Denali Gamashes is great for multi-hit WS piece too.
#7 Nov 04 2008 at 5:18 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
15,264 posts
I'd mention Venerer but Mighty Ring is actually better than it in terms of DoT.

I didn't mention Ethereal because Hollow is the best choice if MNK is your main job. Really Ethereal is crap unless you're going to use the DMG > MP thing. I'll put it in anyway, but i'm going on record as saying that.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#8 Nov 04 2008 at 5:18 AM Rating: Good
****
7,451 posts
Any use in mentioning the Hoshikazu, Tsukikazu, or Hikazu gear sets? If we're going to make notes next to some of this gear about having another high level job class, we can add these.

Also, typo in your Glanzfaust description: "infor"
____________________________
Before you ask a stupid crafting question, read this.
milich wrote:
Quote:
Everytime Arcturus sees this, he starts to die inside.......I know it D:
actually, i think every time Acturus is called Arcturus he dies inside.


Now THIS is PvP!

MNK ~ SMN ~ SCH
#9 Nov 04 2008 at 5:26 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
15,264 posts
Eh idk. As far as the "building block" equips for Usukane go i don't think it's worth mentioning them really. They're not exactly good by themselves for their respective levels.


Nice spot with the typo btw.


Ninja edit, mwahahha.

Edited, Nov 4th 2008 8:27am by Nilatai
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#10 Nov 04 2008 at 5:47 AM Rating: Good
****
7,677 posts
Because we have so many braindead people come through here, prz make it clear that Beat Cesti aren't to be used as an actual weapon, you just have to get them to proceed with your other AF... I've seen so many wearing them ;_;
#11 Nov 04 2008 at 5:51 AM Rating: Good
*****
15,264 posts
'kay.

edit: howzat?

Edited, Nov 4th 2008 9:05am by Nilatai
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#12 Nov 04 2008 at 6:07 AM Rating: Good
**
394 posts
Nice job. A few pieces of gear missing though.
RSE Satchets - Elvaan, Hume and Galka all nice
RSE(If you feel like putting it in) - Basically just the Taru/Mithra stuff
Cuchulain's mantle - Great mantle when in need of acc
Jaeger Ring - Good Acc ring pre Wood/Sniper, decent for soloing if you dislike the negatives of those two
Seirenshi/Seihanshi Habaki - Nice stats on em for DD purposes overall
Faith Baghnaks - Worth mentioning
Shenlong's as well
____________________________
23NUB/7GMP
#13 Nov 04 2008 at 6:20 AM Rating: Good
*****
15,264 posts
Not putting Shenlong's or Hachiryu Haramaki in until they actually drop.

The reason i wanted to avoid putting in Jaeger and Venerer rings is because they're not optimal for the levels you get them.

Sachets i'll add, going to avoid the RSE though.

Seirenshi Habaki, sure they can go in. Faiths too, i guess.


Cuchulain's mantle i'm not too sure about, how does it compare to Amemet +1? Anyone know offhand?
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#14 Nov 04 2008 at 6:27 AM Rating: Good
**
394 posts
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html?fjob=11;mid=1225592979101875453;page=1;howmany=50#m122560858534324841

Situational like N Kote. Best used when Acc is lower than it should be or you're getting decked out with attack.
____________________________
23NUB/7GMP
#15 Nov 04 2008 at 6:29 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
15,264 posts
Ok added to the list, thanks.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#16 Nov 04 2008 at 7:08 AM Rating: Decent
**
394 posts
Just remembered some more gear.

Enkidu Stuff - Some good stuff in here

Barbarossa's Zerehs - Nice pair of pants if you're not an end gamer

Nvm, Divisor is there.

Edited, Nov 4th 2008 10:48am by AnotherSephirothFanBoi
____________________________
23NUB/7GMP
#17 Nov 04 2008 at 7:08 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
27 posts
This is an outstanding guide Nilatai, exactly what I was looking for!

____________________________
-Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.-
Homer Simpson

-Me fail English? That's unpossible.-
Ralph Wiggum
#18 Nov 04 2008 at 7:14 AM Rating: Good
Sage
*
219 posts
Enkidus Harness is pretty much = to shura Togi, With better defenses.

Cerberus Mantle +1 is a slight up grade to forgers.

Also you can't beat Herald's Gaiters or Hermes' Sandals for running around.

Edited, Nov 4th 2008 10:17am by Bresss
____________________________
Bress

If it isn't broke, Take it apart to find out why.
#19 Nov 04 2008 at 7:14 AM Rating: Default
#20 Nov 04 2008 at 7:22 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
27 posts
One other question I have:

Am I to assume that Cobra Subligar would not be a decent exp choice for legs, at least until I can get the upper-tiered leggings?

The reason I ask is that currently I am using the crow leggings, but want to try something different, and Strike Subligar is a bit pricey, whereas Cobra Subligar is only 10k AN away...
____________________________
-Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.-
Homer Simpson

-Me fail English? That's unpossible.-
Ralph Wiggum
#21 Nov 04 2008 at 7:34 AM Rating: Good
****
7,451 posts
Unstablish wrote:
One other question I have:

Am I to assume that Cobra Subligar would not be a decent exp choice for legs, at least until I can get the upper-tiered leggings?

The reason I ask is that currently I am using the crow leggings, but want to try something different, and Strike Subligar is a bit pricey, whereas Cobra Subligar is only 10k AN away...


They're good.

One could argue that they are an upgrade from Strike Subligar, and they're certainly better then Prince's Slops.

*edit*

We're talking about these, right:
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Cobra_Subligar

They're 50K AN if you're alligned with Windurst.

Edited, Nov 4th 2008 10:36am by Acturus
____________________________
Before you ask a stupid crafting question, read this.
milich wrote:
Quote:
Everytime Arcturus sees this, he starts to die inside.......I know it D:
actually, i think every time Acturus is called Arcturus he dies inside.


Now THIS is PvP!

MNK ~ SMN ~ SCH
#22 Nov 04 2008 at 7:39 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
27 posts
Indeed, those are the Cobra's to which I refer. I really like the idea of having +4 Store TP, and I'll not scoff at any added ACC to the leg slot.

*edit: I am so very close to having 55k AN, and I just got the required medal a couple of days ago, so I should be good to go until endgamish time.

Edited, Nov 4th 2008 10:41am by Unstablish
____________________________
-Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.-
Homer Simpson

-Me fail English? That's unpossible.-
Ralph Wiggum
#23 Nov 04 2008 at 7:45 AM Rating: Decent
***
2,620 posts
Quote:
Really Ethereal is crap unless you're going to use the DMG > MP thing. I'll put it in anyway, but i'm going on record as saying that.


I agree - It was best with just Hollow in - we don't want new Mnk's thinking Ethereal is better. How many times are you gonna have to tell ppl that there are earrings out there with Eva+5 on them and more att that 5 on.

Sumone show a Mnk another earring with acc+4 on.

I think you were right to leave it out first time round Nil.
____________________________
Taking a break.
#24 Nov 04 2008 at 7:51 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,139 posts
I'm not going to lie, I'm using Cobra Subligar b/c I don't have the room to pull out my Pahluwan set for 1 piece. I actually WS in the legs and the feet.

Edit: Until I get Haidate, obviously lol

Edited, Nov 4th 2008 9:53am by AttilaTheHun
____________________________
Attila
BLM75|NIN75|RDM70|DNC75
MNK75TP/WS
Black Belt: 05/10/08 11:20PM
Guard Skill: 133

Proud recipient of the Jeunoan Defender's Cross.
PREPARE FOR GLORY!
#25 Nov 04 2008 at 7:59 AM Rating: Good
***
1,017 posts
Might want to throw the other Hachiryu pieces in there for completion's sake, we all know the body is vaporgear for right now but the others do occasionally drop... kinda sorta... maybe...
#26 Nov 04 2008 at 2:27 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
15,264 posts
Thanks for the replies guys, i'll get to work on this in a little while. Should be all updated to this post by tomorrow morning.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#27 Nov 04 2008 at 2:43 PM Rating: Good
***
1,017 posts
Also, unless it was ninja-changed and I didn't realize it, doesn't Rajas Ring get its stats in 15 level increments... meaning it's not +5 STR/DEX until 75?
#28 Nov 04 2008 at 2:54 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
15,264 posts
Yeah you're right actually. I'm pretty sure i saw Milich say someplace that it's better than Sniper's from 65, though...i could be mistaken of course.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#29 Nov 04 2008 at 8:35 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,719 posts
Ethereal Earing is another accepted choice from Apocalypse Nigh. Just depends on your build with other gear to make up for the ATK instead of ACC (Maybe +1 Sniper(s) or HQ Shura Togi)and play style.

Edited, Nov 4th 2008 11:41pm by xXBijiontXx
#30 Nov 04 2008 at 9:09 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
813 posts
Once again, I'd like to avoid Ethereal vs Hollow issue, but I feel that Ethereal worth a mention because it's an acceptable alternative. No, it's not better than Hollow, but it's far from "crap" to be excluded from the guide which focuses on "average and better gear". If the guide includes the likes of H-Kote, Pahluwan Hands, Shura Head, Potent Belt, etc just because they're decent alternatives, I find it weird that Ethereal is excluded from the guide.

I feel no harm to put Ethereal in the guide as there can be enough notes to make it clear that Hollow should be #1 choice from Apocalypse Nigh if MNK is your main job. However, if you already have Ethereal from other jobs, it's acceptable to wear it on your MNK too. Not to mention that Ethereal can be useful as it offers both Attack and Evasion for times when you want to solo or mini-tank.

However, I do understand that I don't really have a say in determining what's on and what's not in this guide. So it's okay if you want to keep Ethereal off the guide. I just hope that this post is reasonable enough. ^^


Oh, and I would also like to say it again that Denali Gamashes is a good pair of feet armor for Asuran Fists.


Edited, Nov 5th 2008 12:14am by Vaagan
#31 Nov 04 2008 at 9:59 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
449 posts
Diabolos Er level 65 - +3 accuracy is nice. I carry this around even at 75 for times that I'm eating Meat and not in Dynamis.
#32 Nov 04 2008 at 10:57 PM Rating: Decent
**
759 posts
Great guide, I've been putting something like this together for myself, and this is very similar. The biggest difference I have, is I have Tourney Patas and Patas +1 at Lv.40, and Lv.48 respectively. Also, at Lv.70, TMH+2 start to outperform CC/Retaliators, until Wagh.

These are very subtle differences, but if you want the best possible progression, this is the way to go. Very nice format^^ its easy on the eyes.
____________________________
90RDM/90BLM/90WHM/90NIN/90MNK
#33 Nov 04 2008 at 11:06 PM Rating: Decent
***
1,719 posts
Quote:
Once again, I'd like to avoid Ethereal vs Hollow issue, but I feel that Ethereal worth a mention because it's an acceptable alternative.


Exactly, I career MNK but I picked Ethereal myself as I find myself in more solo/duo tanking aspects of the game then just "balls to the walls damage".

Both earrings are great and have their place, you can't go wrong really.

No need for "But this is better then this" crap, we just trying to guide newer MNKs anyways away from "really" bad choices. . . like leveling in AF pants . . or pure AF. . . Still see MNKs doing this.
#34 Nov 05 2008 at 1:49 AM Rating: Default
***
2,620 posts
Vaagan wrote:
I feel no harm to put Ethereal in the guide as there can be enough notes to make it clear that Hollow should be #1 choice from Apocalypse Nigh if MNK is your main job. However, if you already have Ethereal from other jobs, it's acceptable to wear it on your MNK too.


(You did keep your post reasonable lol) But in situations other than solo, Merman's will increase your DoT more than an Ethereal will.


xXBijiontXx wrote:
I career MNK but I picked Ethereal myself as I find myself in more solo/duo tanking aspects of the game then just "balls to the walls damage".

Both earrings are great and have their place, you can't go wrong really.

No need for "But this is better then this" crap, we just trying to guide newer MNKs anyways away from "really" bad choices. . . like leveling in AF pants . . or pure AF. . . Still see MNKs doing this.


Thats fine, you want to justify why you picked the wrong earring - if you could go back in time (especially as you say you are a career MNK) would you still pick a sub par earring for your career Mnk?

Remember - Merman Earring > Ethereal Earring for DoT
Dodge Earring = Ethereal earring for evasion builds



Edited, Nov 5th 2008 4:50am by Sandmasterr
____________________________
Taking a break.
#35 Nov 05 2008 at 3:50 AM Rating: Good
**
884 posts
Good stuff so far, but a mention of the Denali set couldn't hurt, at least the feet anyways since they are pretty nice for WS. Diabolos's Earring is nice too, unless theres Dark weather around (don't wear in dynamis!).
____________________________
Character: Theraven
Server: Ragnarok
Jobs: BLM75/BST75/RDM75/WHM75/MNK75/SAM75
#36 Nov 05 2008 at 5:04 AM Rating: Good
*****
15,264 posts
Maybe i should change to Topic name to "Acceptable gear to use in exp parties".

I'm not going to include Ethereal Earrng, because from a purely DD point of view it's crap for it's level.

Merman's Earring is better than it from a DD perspective.

I'll include Diabolos's Earring.

I'm not too sure about the Delani gear though.-

Edited, Nov 5th 2008 8:07am by Nilatai
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#37 Nov 05 2008 at 6:18 AM Rating: Good
****
7,677 posts
The denali set as a whole is meh, but the feet are the best WS piece around, second only to Usukane Sune-Ate.

Edited, Nov 5th 2008 9:19am by Norellicus
#38 Nov 05 2008 at 6:37 AM Rating: Excellent
*****
15,264 posts
I'll put the feet in then. Basicly i want people to read this and get an idea of what's the better gear to be using.

Again, the reason i'm not going to include Ethereal is that you have to pick one. If you have an Ethereal for another job, great. Don't use it on MNK. For MNK Merman's is actually better than it. Diabolos's Earring is better than it. Hollow Earring is definately better than it.

I don't want people to think "Hmm, well for my MNK i'll pick Ethereal from Apocalypse Nigh because it's good too". You have to make a choice, and the right choice for MNK is Hollow Earring.

Edited, Nov 5th 2008 9:45am by Nilatai
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#39 Nov 05 2008 at 7:35 AM Rating: Good
***
1,017 posts
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
I'm not going to include Ethereal Earrng, because from a purely DD point of view it's crap for it's level.

Merman's Earring is better than it from a DD perspective.
Edited, Nov 5th 2008 8:07am by Nilatai


There are still situations in which we do more than "purely DD" and for that reason I would advocate putting Ethereal on the list. It's a paltry 1 attack less than Merman's, and in the place of -evasion you get +evasion and HP. Both good stats to have if you're playing the role of a DD/tank hybrid. 15 HP might not seem like much, but I can still name off a handful of times I've stayed alive hanging onto single-digit HP.

Anyway, just a little perspective. Outstanding list so far.
#40 Nov 05 2008 at 9:32 AM Rating: Good
*****
15,264 posts
Sorry guys, i'm sticking to my guns on this one.

However i will direct people reading the list to the Apocalypse Nigh discussion that's linked in the MNK Index.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#41 Nov 05 2008 at 9:50 AM Rating: Decent
****
7,677 posts
Overlord Cyroul wrote:
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
I'm not going to include Ethereal Earrng, because from a purely DD point of view it's crap for it's level.

Merman's Earring is better than it from a DD perspective.
Edited, Nov 5th 2008 8:07am by Nilatai


There are still situations in which we do more than "purely DD" and for that reason I would advocate putting Ethereal on the list. It's a paltry 1 attack less than Merman's, and in the place of -evasion you get +evasion and HP. Both good stats to have if you're playing the role of a DD/tank hybrid. 15 HP might not seem like much, but I can still name off a handful of times I've stayed alive hanging onto single-digit HP.

Anyway, just a little perspective. Outstanding list so far.


I've died from Astral Flow by ~50 dmg more than my HP before. Should I start wearing BQ ring?

No matter how you slice it, the effects of an Ethereal Earring are marginal; either you're DDing in a Merman's Earring -1, or tanking in an Elusive Earring +1. In fact, it could be argued that the added benefit of the HP is nulled by the -magic damage of the Merman's, since if your HP is a limiting factor in your activity you're likely taking copious amounts of magic damage.

Edit: Nil, I don't know where to find it but Pahn did some math on Spike Necklace vs Tiger Stole, and it tends to fall in line with the same reasoning behind using Mighty Rings too; if you (or anybody) knows where that is, you may want to change your tone on those early neck pieces and reference that bit.

Edited, Nov 5th 2008 1:06pm by Norellicus
#42 Nov 05 2008 at 10:21 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
449 posts
This guide has been very helpful. Thank you for putting the time in.
____________________________
Vaala
Server: Seraph LS: EQ
Jobs:(75NIN)(75RDM)(75PLD)(75MNK)(75COR)

PhoenixDisgustipated wrote:
Quote:

#4. And the most important of all... DO NOT take stupid people. The worst part about stupid people is that they are too stupid to realize how stupid they are.

#43 Nov 05 2008 at 10:29 AM Rating: Decent
***
1,017 posts
Norellicus wrote:

I've died from Astral Flow by ~50 dmg more than my HP before. Should I start wearing BQ ring?
Edited, Nov 5th 2008 1:06pm by Norellicus


Start wearing a galka costume. Smiley: lol

Yes it's marginal any way you look at it, +1 here -1 there. And I disagree with the bit about the magic damage as there are still a few mobs that get in our face with big physical hits (chariots).

Personally, I think the fact that there is even a discussion about this topic should merit an inclusion or a footnote at the very least regarding Ethereal as a *viable* choice if not an overwhelmingly ideal one.
#44 Nov 05 2008 at 1:22 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
31 posts
great guide!

here's the pahn post with tiger stole vs spike necklace
#45 Nov 05 2008 at 2:06 PM Rating: Good
*****
15,264 posts
I'll ask Milich if he'll do some calculations with reference to H2H on those.

Thanks guys.
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#46 Nov 05 2008 at 3:43 PM Rating: Decent
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
Nilatai the Intelligent wrote:
I'll ask Milich if he'll do some calculations with reference to H2H on those.

Thanks guys.


me, re:WAR wrote:
at 21, i’d imagine tiger stole wins, and they quickly become even, but i’m not sure. um... let’s see what weapon you use then...

k, neckchopper. so base dmg is about 45. spike necklace has a 75% chance of raising base dmg by 1. assuming that happens, it’s about a 2.222% increase. 3DEX gives about 2ACC, and thus 1ACC%. assuming your ACC is mad low (50%), that’s a 2% increase for a total increase of 4.2%. the ACC bonus will be more or less static, and the base dmg % increase will get lower as your weapons’ base dmgs increase. however, the total bonus should always hover around 3%.

5ATT will give around a 4% increase once your ATT is, um.... let’s do algebra, assuming mobs are 7 levels above you:

[((X+5)/(X/1.25)-.35)-(X/(X/1.25)-.35)]/(X/(X/1.25)-.35) = .04
well, (X/(X/1.25)-.35) = X * X/1.25 - .35 which = 1.25 - .35, which = .9, so...
our original equation can become...
[((X+5)/(X/1.25)-.35) - .9]/.9 = .04
((X+5)/(X/1.25)-.35) - .9 = .036
(X+5)/(X/1.25)-.35 = .936
(X+5)/(X/1.25) = 1.286
(1.25X + 6.25)/X = 1.286
1.25X + 6.25 = 1.286X
6.25 = .036X
173.611 = X

soooooo, tiger stole will beat spike necklace until your ATT is around 175. the lower the mobs DEF, the earlier spike necklace will come out ahead, but this is about as close to a “general rule” as one could deduce on the topic.


but MNK base damage won't be 45 @lv21, it will be about 20-25 (h2h skill, rep knucks, 5-10 fSTR).

1/22 = 4.5%. add around 1% DoT from the 1-2 ACC, and it's about a 6% increase.

so,

[((X+5)/(X/1.25)-.35) - .9]/.9 = .06
((X+5)/(X/1.25)-.35) - .9 = .054
(X+5)/(X/1.25)-.35 = .954
(X+5)/(X/1.25) = 1.304
(1.25X + 6.25)/X = 1.304
1.25X + 6.25 = 1.304X
6.25 = .054X
115.7etc = X

so, at around 115ATT, spike necklace will be better (when it raises fSTR). i'd say it's not guaranteed to win until around 150ATT, but they'll be pretty similar.
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#47 Nov 05 2008 at 4:53 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
284 posts
I know Im new to the forums and as such have little right to comment or critique, but has anyone considered making a non list gear guide? I also think that first job Monks may have a different gear set till around the mid 30s to even as late as 50 if they have trouble establishing a monetary base. I know I didnt even put on knuckles or take off my RSE till well into the teens.

I also think that End game gear should be in a completely different Gear Guide, highlighting the options available, and in what circumstances you might carry them around/use them.

Im not sure if it's possible, but I think Macro gear should be off to the side as well, or at least indented to show that it is not for primary wear (though I am glad to see comments to the fact). There is just so much gear it would be great to see it arranged in a more user friendly manner. Anyways, thank you for all your hard work.
____________________________
Ruuz - Elvaan of Hades
MNK75
#48 Nov 05 2008 at 6:01 PM Rating: Excellent
*****
15,264 posts
This is gear you should use. This is the bare minimum of what's expected of you. Some of the gear is hard to obtain, sure, but if you're using something that's not on this list you're gimping yourself.

Stop leveling and farm, there's no excuse to be otherwise.


Any non-gear stuff you need to know as MNK can be found in the Sticky at the top of this forum, read it...

Edited, Nov 5th 2008 9:03pm by Nilatai
____________________________
My Movember page
Solrain wrote:
WARs can use semi-colons however we want. I once killed a guy with a semi-colon.

LordFaramir wrote:
ODESNT MATTER CAUSE I HAVE ALCHOLOL IN MY VEINGS BETCH ;3
#49 Nov 05 2008 at 6:51 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
*
112 posts
Great Guide, I must apologize to the MNk community though. I am guilty of wearing AF pants in exp parties, I did it mostly because I thought it was acceptable from seeing other monks do it and that our leg choices were limited. I have seen the error of my ways and will not be exping until there is improvement in my leg equipment.
____________________________
-------------------------------
"To quote the great Colonel Sanders 'I'm too drunk to taste this chicken'"
#50 Nov 05 2008 at 7:13 PM Rating: Good
Sage
Avatar
*****
10,813 posts
pahnk wrote:
Great Guide, I must apologize to the MNk community though. I am guilty of wearing AF pants in exp parties, I did it mostly because I thought it was acceptable from seeing other monks do it and that our leg choices were limited. I have seen the error of my ways and will not be exping until there is improvement in my leg equipment.


happily, rep subligar is an improvement, and it's dirt cheap.

edit: there's better options your level than rep subligar, but i'm in dynamis and rep subligar really is cheap.

Edited, Nov 5th 2008 10:29pm by milich
____________________________
pahn
retired monk

i wish to be the red comet.
#51 Nov 05 2008 at 10:15 PM Rating: Good
***
1,719 posts
Sandmasterr wrote:
Thats fine, you want to justify why you picked the wrong earring - if you could go back in time (especially as you say you are a career MNK) would you still pick a sub par earring for your career Mnk?

Remember - Merman Earring > Ethereal Earring for DoT
Dodge Earring = Ethereal earring for evasion builds


I didn't make a wrong choice, I picked the earring which works best for my activities.

I solo and duo 80% of the time when I log into FFXI. I am also tanking so with this earring I am able to keep Evasion and Attack without having to sacrifice either.

I just wanted to offer the suggestion to Nilatai, nothing more. If Nalatai (which happened) didn't see it fit for the guide then so be it. Still won't change my mind or make me regret my choice. I am happy with what I get out of the earring so why try and "Justify" it to you or anyone else for that matter?

Thanks for the default also, I am trying to remember why I even post here. . .
« Previous 1 2 3 4
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 20 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (20)