Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

So what have I missed?Follow

#1 Sep 12 2010 at 6:47 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
523 posts
I "quit" back in March, and I am re-installing now. Because I am a junkie. So! What have I missed in the world of Thief? This has always been my first and foremost job, and now that I'm 6 months out of the loop and want to know the skinny.

Gear-wise, I am decently-set with EX gear. I gave away most of my non-EX stuff when I quit, and am probably very broke. Some *** will have to be busted. That is fine. But I would like to know what direction I should bust my *** in, so I can get straight to the ***-busting. I know there's been two mini-expansion deals released, and I've bought those so they're good to go when I'm in game. So basically, point me where I need to be.

As for what I'm working with right now, I've got:
Full sets of Skadi and Homam, 4/5 Hecatomb (no hat), the useful bits of Denali, and all the first three mini-expansion reward pieces. Wardecors is Accuracy and Dual Wield, hat is the accuracy/3% haste variety, and the legs are...not really set up to be useful for Thief right now outside of kiting, I suppose. Daggers I've got an X's Knife, a Sirroco Kukri, and I think I can borrow a Blau Dolch for a bit at least. Outside of that, I have the "standard" EX gear in other slots for like six months ago.

Any help at all will be greatly appreciated, because I just want to be a Thief again.
____________________________
Server - Bahamut
Name - dawdr
Mithra 75thf/40rng/37nin/37war/37drk/37sam
#2 Sep 12 2010 at 8:41 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,008 posts
--All your old daggers are outdated. Apparently, the new daggers obtained through trial of the magians are better. Also there's a new better sirocco that is pure ***. It has delay 150, dmg 32, acc 12 and haste 1%.

--Pretty much all your old tp legs/head is outdated as AF3 is much better. Body and hands haven't been released yet.

--Thief gets dual wield at 83 but it's only tier 1 so it's only situational.

--A new ranged weapon for thief only that has enhances dual wield on it.

--despoil got tweaked as well as the ws Aeolian Edge.

Anything else specifically you'd like to know?
#3 Sep 12 2010 at 9:16 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
523 posts
Yeah, I assumed with the big difference in levels that most of my stuff wasn't up to snuff in these new times, just really wanted to give a good idea of where I was starting from.

I'm thinking my biggest priority should be to upgrade the pointy bits. This Superocco Kukri you mention, how big of a pain in the *** is it to get? And with the Magian weapons, I'm guessing probably the strength or dexterity options would be the best options? Without really thinking about it and not knowing what all my gear options are both long- and short-term are, I'm going to guess the dexterity one wins out? And since it is technically a weapon, is that boomerang also a big pain? Because it sounds like a must-have.

I do not know much of anything about either the new ability, or the new weapon skill since neither were around before I left. Most of what I read about Despoil makes it seem like most people find it pretty lack-luster though. Reading about Aeolian Edge, it looks like it's magical rather than physical, and historically our magic weapon skills have been a little...lackluster. Is this one the exception?
____________________________
Server - Bahamut
Name - dawdr
Mithra 75thf/40rng/37nin/37war/37drk/37sam
#4 Sep 12 2010 at 9:41 PM Rating: Excellent
**
492 posts
dawdr wrote:
Yeah, I assumed with the big difference in levels that most of my stuff wasn't up to snuff in these new times, just really wanted to give a good idea of where I was starting from.

I'm thinking my biggest priority should be to upgrade the pointy bits. This Superocco Kukri you mention, how big of a pain in the *** is it to get? And with the Magian weapons, I'm guessing probably the strength or dexterity options would be the best options? Without really thinking about it and not knowing what all my gear options are both long- and short-term are, I'm going to guess the dexterity one wins out? And since it is technically a weapon, is that boomerang also a big pain? Because it sounds like a must-have.

I do not know much of anything about either the new ability, or the new weapon skill since neither were around before I left. Most of what I read about Despoil makes it seem like most people find it pretty lack-luster though. Reading about Aeolian Edge, it looks like it's magical rather than physical, and historically our magic weapon skills have been a little...lackluster. Is this one the exception?


No one knows how to get the Rapidus Sax yet. Perfectionist would have 2 STR daggers, and 2 DEX, but if I could only have 2 I would get 2 DEX or 1 of each. Boomerang is also unknown at this point. Despoil was absolute sh*t, it is slightly good now, definitely worth using if you have a RDM or BRD to dispel, and the mob has no valuable drops worth stealing. I dare say base despoil rate is now better than steal. Aeolian Edge, though supposedly "Buffed" is still terribad UNLESS you're fighting multiple targets level 70 or below, in my experience with the proper set and 6+ targets (Basically campaign and farming bee chips, etc) it beats out DE. Think of it as Cyclone +1, before the update it was essentially cyclone, the end.

Your LB7 is going to be a pain, you should be warned. Very few get their 5 kindred crests in under 4 hours, and many have taken days with hours of farming. THF/WAR until level 90 is also now the best all out offensive DD sub, however, unless you're positive you won't be tanking for any length of time.. I'd still /NIN. AKA: HNMs, huge burns, etc.

Welcome back to THF.

Edited, Sep 14th 2010 2:56am by ElvaanTHF
____________________________
THF on HNM attack in Binary. 10010110101
#5 Sep 12 2010 at 9:44 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,881 posts
no. aeolian edge is cyclone 2.0, ie it sucks, but is aoe. as far as i know, neither the new boomerang or dagger have been found yet.

xp comes super fast in abyssea. chances are you can get from 75-80 in ~5hrs in a good alliance.
____________________________
Lv75 Elvaan Thief, Dragoon, Warrior, Black Mage, Ninja, Bard
Number of times I have reached 75 because of death: 100
Total Merits: 432 Levels until Maat Cap: 37
Why fight like a man when I can fight like a chick with a bear?
#6 Sep 12 2010 at 10:47 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
1,713 posts
In a good alliance I went 81 (720 into level) to capped exp at 85 and 5 merits in 4 hours and 10 mins. You can blow through even more even faster the longer you stay in at capped e p per kill.
____________________________
-LordTrey
99 THF, COR, DRK, BLM, WHM, DNC
Twashtar (90)
Leviathan
#7 Sep 13 2010 at 12:00 AM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
485 posts
Elvaanthf wrote:
No one knows how to get the Rapidus Sax yet.

Yes we do:
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/98414-Abyssea-Misareaux-Discussion/page7
1st post page 7.

Pop NM Amhuluk (Turul type NM)
Drain - AoE
Aeroga IV
Tornado - AoE
Silencega
!! from Shadow of Death

Is it easy or hard? I have no idea.


Edited, Sep 13th 2010 8:01am by Breaze
#8 Sep 13 2010 at 12:31 AM Rating: Good
**
492 posts
Breaze wrote:
Elvaanthf wrote:
No one knows how to get the Rapidus Sax yet.

Yes we do:
http://www.bluegartr.com/threads/98414-Abyssea-Misareaux-Discussion/page7
1st post page 7.

Pop NM Amhuluk (Turul type NM)
Drain - AoE
Aeroga IV
Tornado - AoE
Silencega
!! from Shadow of Death

Is it easy or hard? I have no idea.


Edited, Sep 13th 2010 8:01am by Breaze


I stand corrected.

@Buront: And yes, as I said, Aeolian Edge is only good for damage when you're tanking 6+ mobs in campaign. If you're not doing 400x6 on weak campaign mobs well, I don't know what to tell you. Using it in TP gear?

PS: Only do this with a healer, add a Kclub for even more fun.

Edited, Sep 13th 2010 2:33am by ElvaanTHF
____________________________
THF on HNM attack in Binary. 10010110101
#9 Sep 13 2010 at 11:42 AM Rating: Good
**
879 posts
ElvaanTHF wrote:

@Buront: And yes, as I said, Aeolian Edge is only good for damage when you're tanking 6+ mobs in campaign. If you're not doing 400x6 on weak campaign mobs well, I don't know what to tell you. Using it in TP gear?


Theres another use for Aeolian Edge - getting red !!s on NMs inside abyssea. YOu only get red !!s with elemental WSes.

You need a red !! for it to drop atma. And seeing that there is some absurdly powerful atma, it is something that you really want.
____________________________
Khory

TybudX wrote:
The hardest part of this game is finding 5-17 other people who aren't retarded.
#10 Sep 14 2010 at 12:32 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
485 posts
I have yet to see Aeolian Edge trigger a red !!.

Not all elemental ws seem to trigger red !!.
#11 Sep 14 2010 at 12:55 AM Rating: Good
**
492 posts
Breaze wrote:
I have yet to see Aeolian Edge trigger a red !!.

Not all elemental ws seem to trigger red !!.


Same, but to be fair the !!! are random, to what degree we don't know. Quite frankly, I have yet to see any WS at all for dagger outside of DE/Evis/SB/MS trigger a !!!, and never a relic WS. This, of course, is very likely to be the luck factor and my own experiences not being omnipotent, of course.
____________________________
THF on HNM attack in Binary. 10010110101
#12 Sep 14 2010 at 9:58 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
2,881 posts
i wasn't intending to undermine your post elvaanthf, we just posted at nearly the same time and i didn't see yours when i responded. i haven't used aoelian edge in campaign, but i also haven't done campaign on thief since the WS was added. the reason i say it sucks is because it could have been something along the lines of sonic thrust or fell cleave, ie physical aoes.

as far as gear though, i have been doing it in my SA set since there is a dex mod and no need to worry about acc. i'm sure as **** not going to go out of my way to carry gear for a magical ws that rarely gets used. if i ever had intention of going out and doing some heavy aeolian edge farming, i'd salvage gear from my blm.
____________________________
Lv75 Elvaan Thief, Dragoon, Warrior, Black Mage, Ninja, Bard
Number of times I have reached 75 because of death: 100
Total Merits: 432 Levels until Maat Cap: 37
Why fight like a man when I can fight like a chick with a bear?
#13 Sep 14 2010 at 12:24 PM Rating: Good
**
492 posts
Buront wrote:
i wasn't intending to undermine your post elvaanthf, we just posted at nearly the same time and i didn't see yours when i responded. i haven't used aoelian edge in campaign, but i also haven't done campaign on thief since the WS was added. the reason i say it sucks is because it could have been something along the lines of sonic thrust or fell cleave, ie physical aoes.

as far as gear though, i have been doing it in my SA set since there is a dex mod and no need to worry about acc. i'm sure as **** not going to go out of my way to carry gear for a magical ws that rarely gets used. if i ever had intention of going out and doing some heavy aeolian edge farming, i'd salvage gear from my blm.


Oh I know, it's definitely one of the uh, "Least useful" to be polite. Fell Cleave, Sonic Thrust, Sanguine Blade.. I would honestly have any of those WS for my THF over Aeolian Edge, the times it's useful are just silly specific, but who knows, maybe the OP will like campaign.

Also, I didn't mean to convey the idea I have this amazing WTF pimp set for aeolian edge, I have a DH+1 that got augmented with MAB+3 in front of my BLM friend (He was so ******* he got VIT-2), moldy from RDM, a macc augment aptus earring from RDM, and an Omega ring. That's about all I carry, it is lackluster, no doubt.
____________________________
THF on HNM attack in Binary. 10010110101
#14 Sep 14 2010 at 3:47 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
****
4,864 posts
TheKhory wrote:
ElvaanTHF wrote:

@Buront: And yes, as I said, Aeolian Edge is only good for damage when you're tanking 6+ mobs in campaign. If you're not doing 400x6 on weak campaign mobs well, I don't know what to tell you. Using it in TP gear?


Theres another use for Aeolian Edge - getting red !!s on NMs inside abyssea. YOu only get red !!s with elemental WSes.

You need a red !! for it to drop atma. And seeing that there is some absurdly powerful atma, it is something that you really want.


Yes there is, and it's awesome having it^
____________________________
Carbuncle


#15 Sep 14 2010 at 5:17 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
523 posts
Will have my first workout in Abyssea tomorrow it seems like. Don't really know anything about it, and was basically told "you'll figure it out after a few minutes." Should be fun stuff.

Apparently my old LS had missed their token Thief while I was away, which makes me feel a bit good and bad. Good that I was appreciated, bad that everyone else in the LS is basically the "I have thf leveled" sort. Tagged along to Dynamis Windurst last night for my first event back, and it was kinda hilarious just how easy the level difference made it for them and I really can't wait to not be dead-weight just THing things.
____________________________
Server - Bahamut
Name - dawdr
Mithra 75thf/40rng/37nin/37war/37drk/37sam
#16 Sep 14 2010 at 5:42 PM Rating: Excellent
****
4,445 posts
Quote:
and I really can't wait to not be dead-weight just THing things.


Such a dreamer you are.
____________________________
Ladyofhonor: 99THF/RUN
101+7 Alchemy
Zilart/CoP/ToAU complete.
Mandau 119
#17 Sep 14 2010 at 6:49 PM Rating: Good
Sage
**
523 posts
SirEaglestrike wrote:
Quote:
and I really can't wait to not be dead-weight just THing things.


Such a dreamer you are.


I never said I was smart, just that I like the pointy bits.
____________________________
Server - Bahamut
Name - dawdr
Mithra 75thf/40rng/37nin/37war/37drk/37sam
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 19 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (19)