I has the "pleasure" of playing this Closed Beta this weekend. I was actually hoping this would be a good game. Marvel Heros is a Free 2 Play Diablo-esqe Online game, that does nothing special or brings anything new to the table. I don't feel like writing a huge article on it, but I'll break it down. I played for 8 hours-ish and I was so bored I uninstalled and didn't play the rest of the weekend.
* Marvel game, decent amount of characters
* Loot system is very similar to Diablo 2 where you usually find 80% equipment for your character about 20% of stuff for other characters.
* The game isn't stingy on Blues/Purples
* Voice Acting One Liners are enjoyable for the first few times you hear them, voices are well acted.
*Cutscenes are pretty good, and fun to watch
* The one liners on certain parts of a mission or when your Hero comes close to another are pretty fun (I loved some of Deadpools)
* Graphics seem very dated, even on the highest settings the game looks like its a few years old.
* You're character repeats himself to a maddening amount during combat.
* No voice acting outside cutscenes or one liners. Doesn't help that the quest text and all onscreen text is so small its hard to read.
* Combat is extremely bland, Villians you come across take way to much damage to take down.
* Skill trees are boring and dont really "tree" You will just be grabbing the next thing on the tree as it unlocks doesn't really branch.
* Respawn is extremely high, if your the only one in the area get ready to be killing the same packs as they respawn in about 30 seconds,making it easy to get surrounded where you cant even move (at low levels).
* Cost of Heros* seems a tad on the pricy side
Overall if you have nothing better to do with your time you may find a few moments of fun. But it gets old quick with bland repetitive combat and nothing that really seems different from Diablo 2/3, Path of Exile, Torchlight. Usually Im one to not mind a "grind" I have a ton of alts in WoW and other games, this game just seemed mind numbing. Especially the "mini boss villians" that really didn't have any attacks to be worried about and were just more endurance marathons and took way to long to kill.
This is a F2P game I would definitely skip, many of the others are much better with way more polish. I understand this is Beta and maybe things could change but these were my impressions. I think Gazilion just phoned it in thinking the Marvel brand would sell it. Instead its a Diablo 2 clone that feels stripped down with marvel characters.
Edited, Apr 30th 2013 8:45pm by BeanX