Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Skyrim, or, How I Ruined My LifeFollow

#552 Nov 21 2011 at 4:31 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,439 posts
Has anyone completed the game yet? The main quest, I mean?

Does it have an actual "game over, roll credits" ending, or does it just finish the main quest and leave you in the sandbox?
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#553 Nov 21 2011 at 4:35 PM Rating: Good
I haven't yet, trying to stretch out the goodness as long as I can. :) But I read that it's not a fallout style credits ending and you can continue to play in the sandbox.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#554 Nov 21 2011 at 4:40 PM Rating: Good
******
49,824 posts
I'd be more inclined to try to complete the game if there weren't butterflies I can catch.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#555 Nov 21 2011 at 4:56 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
I hear it'll play an epilogue, but it's only limited to details about the main quest, and is set immediately on the completion of the quest. So (major spoiler) if you kill the Emperor during the Dark Brotherhood quest before downing Alduin, while leaving Elisif in power, she won't become High Queen. But you can finish the main quest, let her become Queen, and THEN join the Dark Brotherhood and kill the Emperor. At least I'm pretty sure that's what happens...

Also, I agree about being unable to end quests. With the Thieves Guild, the first quest is from some random guy in Riften who wants you to relieve a guy of something. But there's no way to avoid the quest short of just exiting the conversation (if you even can). If you fail the quest, he'll attribute it to circumstances outside of your control, and you'll get the quest to join the Thieves Guild. I don't know if you can get that quest out of your log and NOT join.

It would be great, though, if you could choose not to join and that would strip the Essential status from guild members, so you can clear them out.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#556 Nov 21 2011 at 5:01 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Shojindo of the Ten Storms wrote:
Unless there are radically different endings to explore. Like in Fall Out NV I actually played through 3 different ending's becuase who you allied with in that game affected the ending so much.
You ally yourself between one of two different groups in Skyrim during the main quest- of course, I haven't had time to make a decision, so I don't know how minor/major the effects will be.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#557 Nov 21 2011 at 5:42 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
I got the impression that you don't HAVE to ally yourself with either side if you didn't want to. You'd just miss out on achievements and more quests.
#558 Nov 21 2011 at 5:43 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,684 posts
It's more like you have to take action if you do want to make the decision. If you proceed through the quests without taking action, you automatically ally yourself with the Greybeards.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#559 Nov 21 2011 at 5:51 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
xypin wrote:
It's more like you have to take action if you do want to make the decision. If you proceed through the quests without taking action, you automatically ally yourself with the Greybeards.


Yuck.

More motivation to finish the faction quests for me!
#560 Nov 21 2011 at 6:13 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
4,297 posts
Mazra wrote:
axhed, you might want to check this.


thanks! had to start a new game and wait for the hayride to end before it let me load.

i got attacked by a dragon on the way up to high hrothgar, that chick just before the frost troll helped me and lydia out.
#561 Nov 21 2011 at 6:14 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
I'm more than a little bit irritated that every faction seems to ultimately suck. A little bit too much like real life for me.

Worse is the fact that to choose the "good" faction, you pretty much always have to turn against another "good" faction.

This is actually largely because I'm irritated that the Blades, despite largely still being a benevolent organization, have become so short-sighted. No, I won't kill a peaceful dragon who wishes to bring harmony to voice-users, so that they only use their gifts in service of the gods, because he once was allied with Alduin. He isn't now--he's helping me fight against him.

Besides, I am more like a dragon than a mortal as Dovahkiin. Sure, my exterior is mortal, but what matters--the soul--is that of a dragon. I'm fighting the dragons because they are wrong, not because they are dragons.

I miss Jauffre.

>:(

Tiber Septim had dragons in his army (one was one of his advisors, iirc). If that's the case, then the Blades have allied with dragons before.


Edited, Nov 21st 2011 7:14pm by idiggory
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#562 Nov 21 2011 at 6:51 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,330 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:

[...]

This is actually largely because I'm irritated that the Blades, despite largely still being a benevolent organization, have become so short-sighted. No, I won't kill a peaceful dragon who wishes to bring harmony to voice-users, so that they only use their gifts in service of the gods, because he once was allied with Alduin. He isn't now--he's helping me fight against him.

Besides, I am more like a dragon than a mortal as Dovahkiin. Sure, my exterior is mortal, but what matters--the soul--is that of a dragon. I'm fighting the dragons because they are wrong, not because they are dragons.

I miss Jauffre.

>:(

Tiber Septim had dragons in his army (one was one of his advisors, iirc). If that's the case, then the Blades have allied with dragons before.


Edited, Nov 21st 2011 7:14pm by idiggory


The impression I got is that the Blades feel he went turncoat because it was more beneficial for him to do so, not because he is benevolent. It's also easy to see the Blades twist what he says if they were there, implying he conquered his evil nature because it allows him to basically be *the* dominant dragon, not because he's trustworthy. But yeah, the Blades are seriously messed up in the head.

Of course, you can always join the Dark Brotherhood. Then you can just kill whoever you get a contract/quest from first and let Sithis sort out the corpses.
#563 Nov 21 2011 at 7:14 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
1,162 posts
When Ulfric says he's offering you a house in Windhelm, he really means he'll charge you 12000 gold for it Smiley: oyvey
#564 Nov 21 2011 at 7:24 PM Rating: Good
Quote:
When Ulfric says he's offering you a house in Windhelm, he really means he'll charge you 12000 gold for it


Iknowright? At first I was like cool, free house. Then I was like, mah house in Whiterun is juuust fine tyvm.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#565 Nov 21 2011 at 7:32 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
Question! If I support the Legion, can I still get the house in Windhelm? I mean, I assume I'll eventually be deposing Stormcloak--will the new Jarl make me Thane and/or let me buy the house? Seems only fair, and I always like having a town in each city.

____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#566 Nov 21 2011 at 7:42 PM Rating: Excellent
******
49,824 posts
I need more bookshelves. The chest over the bookshelf in my Alchemy Nook in Whiterun has like a hundred units of weight of just books, and no repeats.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#567 Nov 21 2011 at 7:43 PM Rating: Good
Most embarrassing way to die in a game...

Having a lightning bug push your character off a very high cliff to its impending doom.
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#568 Nov 21 2011 at 7:55 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
Brokenwheel wrote:
Most embarrassing way to die in a game...

Having a lightning bug push your character off a very high cliff to its impending doom.


Bugs with mutant strength? That's awesome.

Chasing a butterfly off a cliff? That isn't.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#569 Nov 21 2011 at 7:58 PM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
If anyone hasn't hit up Darklight Tower I recommend going there. It is southwest of Riften, close to the mountainside. Fighting the way to the top is a bit of a bother. My mage was getting eaten alive by the hags there. >.> But the boss drops a really sweet staff. Not to mention there is a bit of a story behind the tower.
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#570 Nov 21 2011 at 8:03 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
Question to people that went with heavy armor smithing--I'm assuming the final Dragon perk will also let you smith scale gear? Because that way, you can get the best light armor without having to forfeit weapons...
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#571 Nov 21 2011 at 8:11 PM Rating: Good
Ya buddy. You can make scale or plate with the perk.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#572 Nov 21 2011 at 8:45 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
Cool, I'll just make do with upgrading basic gear, power level smithing, and then farm dragon parts. :P
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#573 Nov 21 2011 at 9:58 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Only issue, Ebony and Daedric weapons are better than glass... not that this matters when you've got One Hand Damage+% on all your gear and sneak perks... you do miss out on ridiculously awesome looking weapons though.
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#574 Nov 21 2011 at 10:39 PM Rating: Good
******
20,020 posts
xypin wrote:
Only issue, Ebony and Daedric weapons are better than glass... not that this matters when you've got One Hand Damage+% on all your gear and sneak perks... you do miss out on ridiculously awesome looking weapons though.


That's what I meant. I'm going to be wearing Light Armor (probably), but I'm getting the heavy armor perks.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#575 Nov 21 2011 at 10:56 PM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,684 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
xypin wrote:
Only issue, Ebony and Daedric weapons are better than glass... not that this matters when you've got One Hand Damage+% on all your gear and sneak perks... you do miss out on ridiculously awesome looking weapons though.
That's what I meant. I'm going to be wearing Light Armor (probably), but I'm getting the heavy armor perks.
Ooooh, I like your thinking!
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#576 Nov 22 2011 at 4:34 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
******
29,387 posts
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 1 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (1)