Forum Settings
       
Reply To Thread

Skyrim, or, How I Ruined My LifeFollow

#652 Nov 24 2011 at 2:50 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,292 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I need to do some serious work on my archery skill.

I'm at an awkward point right now. I'm level 20, so blood dragons are showing up. And I can kill them fast once they are on the ground (SnB). But holy hell it takes FOREVER to get them to land. And they'll destroy me if they are the fire variety.

So my immediate concerns are getting myself some ranged damage. After that, I'm probably going to level up enchanting/alchemy (and get the last 20 points in smithing) so that I can make myself a happy set of gear. :P

What kinda sucks is that my Heavy Armor skill is in the 40s, but my Light Armor skill is in the 20s. And I intend to use scale armor. Womp.


Once you get the appropriate shout during the main quest line, getting dragons to land is very easy once they let you aim at them with the shout.
#653 Nov 24 2011 at 7:38 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,925 posts
How do those dragon souls your absorb work at all? I've learned two new Words of Power from some random walls I stumbled across, but killing dragons and absorbing their souls does nothing. Only Shouts I can currently use are the ones the ol' guys taught me up on High Hrothgar.

I've got a Fade thingy and an Ice thingy, but they're grayed out. I've killed maybe half a dozen dragons since I got them, absorbing their souls every time and still nothing.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#654 Nov 24 2011 at 8:00 AM Rating: Good
Go to shouts under the magic menu and you have to activate them.

Also, anyone getting a lot of lag from the PS3 version? I read this has been a problem after you play for a while due to the amount of data saved. Bethesda is supposed to have a patch next week, but in the meantime, I found restarting the PS3 and deleting all but 1 save helps for a bit.
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#655 Nov 24 2011 at 9:10 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,925 posts
I go to Magic -> Shouts and all I'm seeing is a list of Shouts, two of which are gray. Do I need to hit some button or something? I mean, I've tried clicking on them and whatnot, but it just won't work.

Edited, Nov 24th 2011 4:21pm by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#656 Nov 24 2011 at 9:42 AM Rating: Good
Yes, there is a button to unlock them after they're highlighted. On PS3 it is the square button. It should say near the bottom of the screen where it says equip/favorite.
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#657 Nov 24 2011 at 9:43 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,522 posts
Mazra wrote:
I go to Magic -> Shouts and all I'm seeing is a list of Shouts, two of which are gray. Do I need to hit some button or something? I mean, I've tried clicking on them and whatnot, but it just won't work.

Edited, Nov 24th 2011 4:21pm by Mazra


On the PS3 version, square unlocks them. Dunno about the PC--it doesn't tell you in the bottom left corner?
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#658 Nov 24 2011 at 9:44 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,522 posts
Damn ninja post Broken.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#659 Nov 24 2011 at 9:59 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,925 posts
Maybe there is a button, I just don't remember seeing one.

Beer, you know...
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#660 Nov 24 2011 at 10:05 AM Rating: Good
I'm having a problem filling some grand soul gems. There seems to be a few in my inventory that will not fill when I kill someone. They are empty and other grands fill but these won't. Anyone else have this problem?
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#661 Nov 24 2011 at 11:03 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,522 posts
Can you give us more specifics?

Like, what are you trying to use to fill them?
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#662 Nov 24 2011 at 11:10 AM Rating: Good
I have a soul trap bow I use. I was hunting bandits to fill the grands and after filling a couple including my black star, it told me I didn't have a gem big enough when I had 8 empty grand gems left. Bow still has plenty of charge and the bandits were getting lit up with it. I don't know?
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#663 Nov 24 2011 at 11:10 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
Mazra wrote:
Maybe there is a button, I just don't remember seeing one.

Beer, you know...

I believe it's "R" on the PC version to unlock shouts.
#664 Nov 24 2011 at 11:11 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
****
5,159 posts
Unintentional double post, but whatever.

Brokenwheel wrote:
I have a soul trap bow I use. I was hunting bandits to fill the grands and after filling a couple including my black star, it told me I didn't have a gem big enough when I had 8 empty grand gems left. Bow still has plenty of charge and the bandits were getting lit up with it. I don't know?


Humanoid souls (elves, Nords, etc) can only go in black soul gems, though their soul level is "grand". Grand soul gems can only be filled with "white" souls, which would be any high-level, non-humanoid creature, such as dragons.
#665 Nov 24 2011 at 11:15 AM Rating: Good
Majivo wrote:
Unintentional double post, but whatever.

Brokenwheel wrote:
I have a soul trap bow I use. I was hunting bandits to fill the grands and after filling a couple including my black star, it told me I didn't have a gem big enough when I had 8 empty grand gems left. Bow still has plenty of charge and the bandits were getting lit up with it. I don't know?


Humanoid souls (elves, Nords, etc) can only go in black soul gems, though their soul level is "grand". Grand soul gems can only be filled with "white" souls, which would be any high-level, non-humanoid creature, such as dragons.



Err, brain fart. Thanks for the reminder on that. I guess what I did was fill a black gem and my star so I was thinking it was filling multiples.
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#666 Nov 24 2011 at 3:36 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,610 posts
I'm currently level 24, almost pure Heavy Armor, One Handed, and Block. Conditioning is great. I've been running around finding the Nord Crypts and unlocking Words. So far, I haven't found any good ones. Frost Breath kind of sucks, and others are a Detect Life type, one to pacify animals, and one to disarm opponents, plus a couple second words.

Dragons are definitely a push over with high level blocking and heavy armor. I've got a bunch of heavy armor pieces with 30-50% elemental resists I can throw on. Enough to the point that even without blocking, I take almost no damage from breath spells.


I did have a Blood Dragon attack me while in Whiterun. It looks awesome when they perch ontop of buildings and cliffs to attack you. I lured it away from any NPCs, and it was sitting ontop of the Warmadien's shop trying to breath on me. Now its skeleton is stuck in Whiterun. It doesn't seem to be disppearing like the others around Skyrim have. Every time I zone into the town, it is flopping around between Breezehome and the Drunken Huntsman. I think since the physics won't let it rest, it is glitched and won't disappear.

Here in a little bit, I'm going to start leveling Smithing and Enchanting. Now that my battle skills are high enough to make up for the increase in level I'll get. I didn't want to focus on non-combat skills early on, because I'd be a higher level, and be weaker relative to that level.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#667 Nov 24 2011 at 4:30 PM Rating: Good
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,032 posts
I'd say this counts as the best use of Archery skill in the game.





Edited, Nov 24th 2011 5:31pm by Turin
#668 Nov 24 2011 at 4:31 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
1,162 posts
Link doesn't work for me


Edit: nevermind

Edited, Nov 24th 2011 5:32pm by feelz
#669 Nov 24 2011 at 5:15 PM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
Turin wrote:
I'd say this counts as the best use of Archery skill in the game.



o_O
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#670 Nov 24 2011 at 6:28 PM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,925 posts
Majivo wrote:
Mazra wrote:
Maybe there is a button, I just don't remember seeing one.

Beer, you know...

I believe it's "R" on the PC version to unlock shouts.


Wewt, I found it. Now I've got some kind of ice breath and ethereal form and an additional word on my fire breath.

In other news, I wish I'd gone heavy armor from the beginning. Yes, Studded/Scale Armor looks amazing with a hood, but I'll eventually want the matching set bonus and light armor helmets just look like crap.

Might just switch it up to heavy armor and start crafting me some Daedric armor. That stuff looks mean!
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#671 Nov 24 2011 at 7:15 PM Rating: Good
Just started playing a few days ago, I have a level 6 Altmer mage working her way through the mage college quests. I plan on going mostly Destruction and Conjuration, but we'll see.

So is there any point to doing smithing as a mage type character? Sounds like you guys are saying that you can craft light armored gear with some nice bonuses to it.
____________________________
Proudmoore US server:
Popina, 90 Priest
Digits, 86 Shaman
Thelesis, 85 Mage
Willowmei, 85 Druid
Necralita, 85 DK
Shrika, 72 Warlock
Jaquelle, 54 Paladin
Grakine, 32 Hunter
The MMO-Zam's FB group. Please message me first so I know who you are.
#672 Nov 24 2011 at 7:21 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,522 posts
If you intend to go full mage, then there isn't. Smithing lets you get as much as 4x the base defense/damage on weapons/armor. You won't be using either.

But if you intend to be a battlemage, then it will be extremely useful.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#673 Nov 24 2011 at 9:26 PM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,921 posts
Turin wrote:
I'd say this counts as the best use of Archery skill in the game.





Edited, Nov 24th 2011 5:31pm by Turin

There is no part of this I did not like. Smiley: laugh
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#674 Nov 24 2011 at 10:15 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,610 posts
I leveled up my Smithing (and some Enchanting). I had a ton of Leather and Iron in storage (stored every piece I've found since I started). I crafted Iron Daggers and Leather Braces, and ended up at 82 Smithing. Then I learned how truly powerful it is. I almost doubled the base damage on my weapon and the armor rating on my armor.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#675 Nov 24 2011 at 10:25 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,522 posts
TirithRR wrote:
I leveled up my Smithing (and some Enchanting). I had a ton of Leather and Iron in storage (stored every piece I've found since I started). I crafted Iron Daggers and Leather Braces, and ended up at 82 Smithing. Then I learned how truly powerful it is. I almost doubled the base damage on my weapon and the armor rating on my armor.


Now try it with a Fortify smithing potion. Especially one that's been buffed with perks.

Or a set of Fortify Smithing gear. Also enhanced with perks.

Or try it after using a potion of Fortify Smithing that was created while wearing fortify alchemy gear that was enchanted while using fortify alchemy potions/gear that was...
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#676 Nov 25 2011 at 12:00 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,378 posts
In Oblivion, you broke the game with the custom spells.

In Skyrim, you break the game with crafting.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist anus.
#677 Nov 25 2011 at 12:10 AM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,032 posts
It's probably a glitch, but my Deadric sword of Doom never needs to recharged. I put Absorb Health and Fills a soul gem if target dies in 11 seconds, but it never uses charges. The effects kick in, but the charge bar doesn't budge.
#678 Nov 25 2011 at 12:29 AM Rating: Good
Sage
****
5,684 posts
Did you pick up the self-charging perk in the enchanting tree?
____________________________
Signature starts here.
#679 Nov 25 2011 at 12:51 AM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,032 posts
No, I went straight up the middle, never touched the sides.
#680 Nov 25 2011 at 1:36 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
****
5,378 posts
You know, if this is the finished, tested product with most bugs allegedly fixed, I'd hate to see what initial builds of the game looked like.
____________________________
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
I have a racist anus.
#681 Nov 25 2011 at 5:43 AM Rating: Good
Has anyone killed a dragon and not absorbed its soul?

I killed an elder dragon and its corpse is just sitting next to a house in the middle of nowhere. I've since killed other dragons and they acted normally after death. I revisited this one a while later and his scaly ass is still sitting there.

Would have been cool if this happened next to my house. I could've kept it like a trophy or something to impress all the other housecarls.
____________________________
"Beyond poor, Beyond ostracized, Destined to be obscured" Black Nurse
#682 Nov 25 2011 at 7:02 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,925 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Now try it with a Fortify smithing potion. Especially one that's been buffed with perks.

Or a set of Fortify Smithing gear. Also enhanced with perks.

Or try it after using a potion of Fortify Smithing that was created while wearing fortify alchemy gear that was enchanted while using fortify alchemy potions/gear that was...


Why not just '~' + 'tgm'? Smiley: tongue

I was power-leveling Smithing the other night to get me some Daedric armor, but then I realized how ridiculously overpowered it was at my current level (even without fortifying potions or enchants) and loaded an earlier save.

If I wanted to be invincible then the console command would be faster.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#683 Nov 25 2011 at 10:41 AM Rating: Excellent
Annoying Ass
ZAM Administrator
Avatar
*****
11,921 posts
My sneaky thief character is interesting, but difficult Smiley: glare I have about 50 sneak, 40 archery, 50 lockpicking, and 75 pickpocketing (man, that's easy to level). I did the main quest up to Whiterun, then went to Riften to do the Thieves Guild quests. And so far I'm finding the enemies very difficult; my character level is like 18-19, which is probably why, but unless I one-shot an enemy with my bow, they usually run right to me, preventing me from getting any more sneak attacks. If more than one enemy attacks, I need to spam health potions to not die.

I guess the only real way to play like this is to cheese your way to 100 sneak and basically pretend to be invisible? It kinda seems like an all-or-nothing route, though. I might powerlevel either smithing or sneak though because as it is I need to reload all the time. Or maybe you're not supposed to fight enemies on the thief quests? I know you can avoid most of them...

Pro-tip: Delphine at the Riverwood Inn has an Orcish bow. VERY low chance to pickpocket it, but if you do it's probably the best bow you'll find for like 10 levels unless you take up smithing right away.
____________________________
Retired News Writer for the ZAM Network
WoW - Aureliano the Insane - level 90 Druid on Sen'Jin
Nanaoki - level 90 Mage on Sen'Jin
#684 Nov 25 2011 at 11:29 AM Rating: Good
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
35,925 posts
You can power-level Sneak by breaking into houses in the night and murdering the inhabitants in their sleep.

I had 48 Sneak by level 8 when I started my Thief character.

Edit: Of course, I'd killed everyone from Riverwood to Whiterun by the time I got there, so it might not be a viable strategy if you plan on having any non-player characters in the game at all.

Edited, Nov 25th 2011 6:30pm by Mazra
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#685 Nov 25 2011 at 11:59 AM Rating: Good
****
6,470 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
My sneaky thief character is interesting, but difficult Smiley: glare I have about 50 sneak, 40 archery, 50 lockpicking, and 75 pickpocketing (man, that's easy to level). I did the main quest up to Whiterun, then went to Riften to do the Thieves Guild quests. And so far I'm finding the enemies very difficult; my character level is like 18-19, which is probably why, but unless I one-shot an enemy with my bow, they usually run right to me, preventing me from getting any more sneak attacks. If more than one enemy attacks, I need to spam health potions to not die.

I guess the only real way to play like this is to cheese your way to 100 sneak and basically pretend to be invisible? It kinda seems like an all-or-nothing route, though. I might powerlevel either smithing or sneak though because as it is I need to reload all the time. Or maybe you're not supposed to fight enemies on the thief quests? I know you can avoid most of them...


I hit a bit of a wall like that too on the thief quests, but you can work your way through it without power leveling or grinding. Just keep raising Sneak and Archery and putting perks in them exclusively. At 50 Sneak, with the proper perks, most enemies shouldn't see you unless they're close to being on top of you. Snipe from as far away as possible, and then back away or go around corners until you're hidden again.

Get the "arrows stagger" perk as soon as possible...it seems to trigger almost 2/3rds of the time, and it means that you can really keep enemies at bay. The +30% bow speed and 3x Critical damage perks helps a lot, too. Wear the lightest armor you can, and stay in the shadows.

Edited, Nov 25th 2011 1:00pm by Eske
____________________________
Latest Articles:
Monaco: What's Yours is Mine Review

Follow me on Twitter!
#686 Nov 25 2011 at 12:00 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
11,877 posts
IDrownFish wrote:
In Oblivion, you broke the game with the custom spells.

In Skyrim, you break the game with crafting.


I broke the game with crafting in Oblivion. hitting the 95% mitigation cap was silly.
____________________________
"Observe what happens when you force a man to change"
Just as Planned.
#687 Nov 25 2011 at 12:03 PM Rating: Good
******
43,190 posts
LockeColeMA wrote:
Pro-tip: Delphine at the Riverwood Inn has an Orcish bow.
I was running ... somewhere or the other Wednesday and somebody ran up to me and said "Hold this for me, I'll be back for it later." I'm like "Okay ..." and didn't even bother to check what it was. A minute later a Hunter runs up and says "Hey, did you see a no good thief around here?" I'm like "Nope ..." because I was kind of interested in the thief. Not long after I hear the hunter "There you are!" and I stumble upon the dead thief's body. So I check him, and he's got pretty standard bandit stuff. I check my inventory and there's an Orcish Bow of Scorching with 20dmg Fire Enhancement.

That was pretty awesome.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#688 Nov 25 2011 at 12:05 PM Rating: Good
***
1,603 posts
Demea wrote:
At least she greeted me differently now. Why hello, my love! It's great to see you, too. Who is that guy following you around, my love? Wait, is that the dude that was tagging along behind you in Riften? Doesn't he have someplace to be? He's not staying for good, right?

You CB'ed him by marrying her and now he's returning the favor. LOL
#689 Nov 25 2011 at 12:33 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,292 posts
Eske Esquire wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
My sneaky thief character is interesting, but difficult Smiley: glare I have about 50 sneak, 40 archery, 50 lockpicking, and 75 pickpocketing (man, that's easy to level). I did the main quest up to Whiterun, then went to Riften to do the Thieves Guild quests. And so far I'm finding the enemies very difficult; my character level is like 18-19, which is probably why, but unless I one-shot an enemy with my bow, they usually run right to me, preventing me from getting any more sneak attacks. If more than one enemy attacks, I need to spam health potions to not die.

I guess the only real way to play like this is to cheese your way to 100 sneak and basically pretend to be invisible? It kinda seems like an all-or-nothing route, though. I might powerlevel either smithing or sneak though because as it is I need to reload all the time. Or maybe you're not supposed to fight enemies on the thief quests? I know you can avoid most of them...


I hit a bit of a wall like that too on the thief quests, but you can work your way through it without power leveling or grinding. Just keep raising Sneak and Archery and putting perks in them exclusively. At 50 Sneak, with the proper perks, most enemies shouldn't see you unless they're close to being on top of you. Snipe from as far away as possible, and then back away or go around corners until you're hidden again.

Get the "arrows stagger" perk as soon as possible...it seems to trigger almost 2/3rds of the time, and it means that you can really keep enemies at bay. The +30% bow speed and 3x Critical damage perks helps a lot, too. Wear the lightest armor you can, and stay in the shadows.

Edited, Nov 25th 2011 1:00pm by Eske


I can agree with what Eske said.

I've killed off 90% of dungeon trash and dungeon bosses I've faced this way, including dragon priests -- Snipe, break LOS from the original firing spot, repeat. You just have to be patient. If they heal themselves? Great, gave you more time to plunk in one or two more arrows and more chances to skill up Archery. The ones I didn't kill this way were the ones from early on before I figured out how to snipe effectively or much later on when I was heavily skilling up Destruction.

#690 Nov 25 2011 at 12:34 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,292 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Pro-tip: Delphine at the Riverwood Inn has an Orcish bow.
I was running ... somewhere or the other Wednesday and somebody ran up to me and said "Hold this for me, I'll be back for it later." I'm like "Okay ..." and didn't even bother to check what it was. A minute later a Hunter runs up and says "Hey, did you see a no good thief around here?" I'm like "Nope ..." because I was kind of interested in the thief. Not long after I hear the hunter "There you are!" and I stumble upon the dead thief's body. So I check him, and he's got pretty standard bandit stuff. I check my inventory and there's an Orcish Bow of Scorching with 20dmg Fire Enhancement.

That was pretty awesome.


I bet it's the ruin near Winterhold that you have to go to for the quest line. Saardal or something like that?
#691 Nov 25 2011 at 12:35 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,292 posts
Mazra wrote:
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Now try it with a Fortify smithing potion. Especially one that's been buffed with perks.

Or a set of Fortify Smithing gear. Also enhanced with perks.

Or try it after using a potion of Fortify Smithing that was created while wearing fortify alchemy gear that was enchanted while using fortify alchemy potions/gear that was...


Why not just '~' + 'tgm'? Smiley: tongue

I was power-leveling Smithing the other night to get me some Daedric armor, but then I realized how ridiculously overpowered it was at my current level (even without fortifying potions or enchants) and loaded an earlier save.

If I wanted to be invincible then the console command would be faster.


But looking cool is worth any price! :D
#692 Nov 25 2011 at 12:42 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,522 posts
Also, if playing a stealth character, remember to level your one-handed skills too. Sure, you have some limited melee ability with a bow, but there are going to be times when a dagger is just far more useful. Plus, that lets you use a shield.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#693 Nov 25 2011 at 12:50 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,292 posts
idiggory, King of Bards wrote:
Also, if playing a stealth character, remember to level your one-handed skills too. Sure, you have some limited melee ability with a bow, but there are going to be times when a dagger is just far more useful. Plus, that lets you use a shield.


Well, you can get away with spells too. :) Dropping a Fireball or Chain Lightning at your feet is surprisingly effective. =X
#694 Nov 25 2011 at 3:17 PM Rating: Good
My thief is level 20ish now and I use the bow quite a bit. But I'm finding dual weild is pretty fun. That power attack with all the blows kicks out some nice burst. Especially with the dual weild speed increase. I'm looking forward to trying the 50% boost to dual weild power attack eventually.
____________________________
An old silent pond...
A frog jumps into the pond,
splash! Silence again.

~ Matsuo Basho
#695 Nov 25 2011 at 4:52 PM Rating: Good
Worst. Title. Ever!
*****
14,610 posts
Ravashack wrote:
lolgaxe wrote:
LockeColeMA wrote:
Pro-tip: Delphine at the Riverwood Inn has an Orcish bow.
I was running ... somewhere or the other Wednesday and somebody ran up to me and said "Hold this for me, I'll be back for it later." I'm like "Okay ..." and didn't even bother to check what it was. A minute later a Hunter runs up and says "Hey, did you see a no good thief around here?" I'm like "Nope ..." because I was kind of interested in the thief. Not long after I hear the hunter "There you are!" and I stumble upon the dead thief's body. So I check him, and he's got pretty standard bandit stuff. I check my inventory and there's an Orcish Bow of Scorching with 20dmg Fire Enhancement.

That was pretty awesome.


I bet it's the ruin near Winterhold that you have to go to for the quest line. Saardal or something like that?


I ran into him at Silent Hills Camp, a small dungeon area North/Northwest of Whiterun. The thief ran up to me and said "Here, hold on to this, no questions asked!" and it was a pair of +Lockpicking gloves. The hunter ran up, said he was looking for him, I told him I hadn't seen him. The hunter ran around, found him, and I watched as the thief cowered in the corner as the hunter kept running around trying to shot him with arrows. Eventually the hunter killed him and then ran off.
____________________________
Can't sleep, clown will eat me.
#696 Nov 25 2011 at 5:04 PM Rating: Decent
Keeper of the Shroud
*****
13,032 posts
I ran into that guy twice, once when I was exploring out around Riften. I was in the middle of a fight with a Necromancer and a Frost Astronauch and this idiot comes up to me in the middle of the fight and tries to hand me some rubbish mace. Getting caught in the conversation during the fight got me killed. The second time I was a bit West of White Run, and this douche runs up to me again, also in the middle of a fight. Luckily, that time I was only fighting some weak bandits so I was able to spam my way out of the conversation and live.

Basically, it looks like it's just a random event and can happen anywhere. A guy at work is also playing Skyrim and he ran into the same guy, didn't mention where, but it was also in the middle of a fight. Either he's programmed that way, or the game just doesn't like us.
#697 Nov 25 2011 at 5:04 PM Rating: Excellent
Avatar
*****
11,135 posts
TirithRR wrote:
I ran into him at Silent Hills Camp, a small dungeon area North/Northwest of Whiterun.


Was there a NPC with a giant weapon and a weird helmet walking around there?
____________________________
Shaowstrike (Retired - FFXI)
91PUP/BLM 86SMN/BST 76DRK
Cooking/Fishing 100


"We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
— James D. Nicoll
#698 Nov 25 2011 at 5:04 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
1,292 posts
TirithRR wrote:

I ran into him at Silent Hills Camp, a small dungeon area North/Northwest of Whiterun. The thief ran up to me and said "Here, hold on to this, no questions asked!" and it was a pair of +Lockpicking gloves. The hunter ran up, said he was looking for him, I told him I hadn't seen him. The hunter ran around, found him, and I watched as the thief cowered in the corner as the hunter kept running around trying to shot him with arrows. Eventually the hunter killed him and then ran off.


Interesting, so completely random then.
#699 Nov 25 2011 at 5:16 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,522 posts
That's happened to me twice with different items each time.

First time, I gave the hunter the item. Don't remember what the reward was.

Second time, I pointed him towards the thief. Got to keep the stolen item--dunno what happened to the thief though.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
#700 Nov 25 2011 at 8:48 PM Rating: Good
***
1,877 posts
Yeah I believe the thief and his victim are a random spawn. I have seen them from the warrior/mage/thief stone, near Whiterun, and various other cave entrances and outskirts of towns across the map. Unless it is something nice I tend to give it back to the previous owner and watch them beat the thief to a pulp with it. Unless it is a bow then the npc goes brain dead and stands there waiting while the thief does the same. Smiley: disappointed
____________________________
#swaggerjacker
#701 Nov 25 2011 at 10:48 PM Rating: Good
Avatar
*****
19,522 posts
I get why the early Thieves guild quests are what they are, but I don't like doing them. In Oblivion, it was only stealing from the rich. Now I'm just brutalizing people who are just trying to get by.
____________________________
IDrownFish wrote:
Anyways, you all are horrible, @#%^ed up people

lolgaxe wrote:
Never underestimate the healing power of a massive dong.
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 61 All times are in CDT