Forum Settings
       
This thread is locked

Future expansions planned by Blizzard, from late 2003.Follow

#52 Jul 02 2008 at 6:57 PM Rating: Excellent
Scholar
**
794 posts
remember.... we still have people who still think you need to level to 80 then do a quest which will then CONSUME your character to create a deathknight. yes that misinformation still lives on.

so that wowwiki article will be taken as gospel by the people who read it, spread its content around like its real and the whole thing gets gobbled up by people who do not read MMO-champ (I have guildies who do not know of MMO-champ) or read things off the interwebz with a sceptical mind. ****, I had a RL friend who got completely taken by the april fool joke that Blizzard threw out regarding guitar hero. Imagine what harm that wiki article can do.

*shudder
____________________________
Rejoice. For very bad things are about to happen...
bodhisattva, Defender of Justice wrote:

The first week he was all "ZOMG just happy to be here, killing bosses! I just want to raid", 2nd week there was grumbling, 3rd week he is about ready to emoplode


tigole wrote:
You won't like the ones made to your own class but you'll think the changes made to the 9 other classes are all overpowered.
#53 Jul 02 2008 at 8:20 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,175 posts
Cool, thanks for this info.
____________________________
I'm kind of a big deal. My apartment has many leatherbound books and smells of rich mahogany.




#54 Jul 02 2008 at 11:04 PM Rating: Good
**
626 posts
The only thing that concerns me, is no new lvl's in the last expansion? I would understand not going beyond lvl 100, but not like this. The expansion would be like an XXL content patch, only this time you'd have to pay extra.

Edit: typo

Edited, Jul 3rd 2008 12:57pm by Thundil
____________________________
<Method> member after KJ world 2nd wrote:
OMG! 3 Badges!


Thalendil - Level 80 Priest - Aggramar EU
Sangui - Level 80 DK - Silvermoon EU
Saevitia - Level 80 Hunter - Aggramar EU
#55 Jul 03 2008 at 12:05 AM Rating: Good
**
423 posts
Little warning OhMikeGhod, btw, the poster of those ideas apparently has a tendency to send some less-than-polite private messages with some less-than-savoury (albeit creative) language. I'm sure it won't bother you but it might mean that you're not as confused as I was. Sadly the only PM I've had!

Anyway, back to the point.

Quote:
The only thing that concers me, is no new lvl's in the last expansion? I would understand not going beyond lvl 100, but not like this. The expansion would be like an XXL content patch, only this time you'd have to pay extra.


I've wondered about this too. I think WoW has it in it to last for some years, and I don't know if adding levels each time is the best way to go. Other MMO's have managed to add expansions without adding new levels, but I'm not sure how successful they've been, as WoW is the first game in which I have reached the level cap.

They would have to be pretty creative. I think that problem is some time off, anyway.
#56 Jul 03 2008 at 5:23 AM Rating: Good
fiercestcalm wrote:
Little warning OhMikeGhod, btw, the poster of those ideas apparently has a tendency to send some less-than-polite private messages with some less-than-savoury (albeit creative) language. I'm sure it won't bother you but it might mean that you're not as confused as I was. Sadly the only PM I've had!

Yeah, I got his love note. If he sends another, I'll report him for harassment, and that will be the end of him.


Quote:
Quote:
The only thing that concers me, is no new lvl's in the last expansion? I would understand not going beyond lvl 100, but not like this. The expansion would be like an XXL content patch, only this time you'd have to pay extra.


I've wondered about this too. I think WoW has it in it to last for some years, and I don't know if adding levels each time is the best way to go. Other MMO's have managed to add expansions without adding new levels, but I'm not sure how successful they've been, as WoW is the first game in which I have reached the level cap.

They would have to be pretty creative. I think that problem is some time off, anyway.

Adding a whole new continent(?)/world(?)/plane of existence(?) with 5 new zones, a bunch of new instances and/or raids, etc., is more than a content patch. Who knows? They might also be adding another hero class then, too.
____________________________
--- Mike ---
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Aside from the deep and complex parts, WoW is not deep and complex. Jordster
There are only 2 types of goldsellers in these parts. Dead ones, and dead ones that don't know it yet... Dread Lörd Kaolian
Stop hanging out with morons. That's probably impossible though because there are tons of morons out there. Mentalfrog

[wowsig]2577575[/wowsig]
#57 Jul 03 2008 at 6:53 AM Rating: Good
***
2,813 posts
Thundil wrote:
The only thing that concerns me, is no new lvl's in the last expansion? I would understand not going beyond lvl 100, but not like this. The expansion would be like an XXL content patch, only this time you'd have to pay extra.

Edit: typo

Edited, Jul 3rd 2008 12:57pm by Thundil


They could always do something where you still get experience but instead of gaining levels you gain attributes, or swap out uselss attributes for ones that are more helpful to your class.
____________________________
Sir Xsarus wrote:
That's pretty much the best ninja edit ever.


World of Warcraft
Aggramar Alliance
Allizsah: 92 Human Paladin
#58 Aug 03 2008 at 7:12 AM Rating: Decent
Sage
***
1,245 posts
Just something I found interesting, it suggests more authenticity of the 5 expansion plan.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/dell/index.xml says:

The World of Warcraft Beta Club is your way to be among the first in line to experience up to five future World of Warcraft expansions!*

The sentences don't explicitly say that there will be 5 expansions only, but I think the reason they use qualifiers like "up to" is just to give themselves room if they end up going off of their plan and making a sixth or more.

I don't know. Ain't significant, but I thought relevant enough.
____________________________
Zepoodle: [responding to suggestion of evolving WoW] Undead starting quests now involve torturing small animals. Blood Elf starting quests now consist of visiting strip clubs in Silvermoon and having hashish orgies. The Argent Dawn retires and gets into banking. Mograine's son becomes a worthless alcoholic devastated by his uselessness in a world that has moved on. Instead of "Turn Undead," paladins get "Hammertime", which forces the targeted player to dance uncontrollably for 20 seconds.
#59 Aug 03 2008 at 8:39 AM Rating: Default
12 posts
Beta Club Enrollment code redemption expires September 31st, 2009. You are encouraged to enroll in the Beta Club immediately upon receiving the XPS M1730 World of Warcraft Edition and the Beta Club card. Expansion pack beta tests covered in the Beta Club are the next five beta tests following Beta Club enrollment, or beginning before the program expiration date of December 31st, 2015, whichever comes first. Entry into each beta test is subject to acceptance of each beta test's Terms of Service and End User License Agreements.


that is was the star says after your link just in case other may not got to the link.

on think i did notice is that if they are doing 5 expantions they are planning to put out 3 or 4 of the within the next 7.5 years
#60 Aug 03 2008 at 11:20 PM Rating: Excellent
*
118 posts
Raglu wrote:
The sentences don't explicitly say that there will be 5 expansions only, but I think the reason they use qualifiers like "up to" is just to give themselves room if they end up going off of their plan and making a sixth or more.

I don't know. Ain't significant, but I thought relevant enough.

Actually, "up to" means "to a maximum of" means 0-5, not more.
#61 Aug 04 2008 at 8:01 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,677 posts
Don't split hairs. The point is if the game goes on for 30 years and releases in that time span 15 expansions, this offer will only be good for the first 5. On the other hand, if something happens two months from now and Lich King is the last expansion ever, then they're still covered and don't have to provide 3 more or get sued.
____________________________
Only the exceptions can be exceptional.
#62 Aug 04 2008 at 9:05 AM Rating: Good
Hopefully you will be able to go into the raid Nazatajar (Naga Capital) and kill the Queen Azshara in the Maelstrom Expansion. Maybe a sea mount for traveling from island to island?

Thanks for sharing the information with us : )
#63 Aug 22 2008 at 9:50 AM Rating: Good
I'd just like to say that I do not see the Worgen being introduced as a playable race, they seem to much tied into the game already, and will be even more so in Wrath of the Lich King. Also, they are, according to WoWiki purely evil. Also, there is no specific reason to why Wolfenhold should be the home of the Worgen. However, the Xorothian Planes clearly is a zone on the world of Xoroth, where the Dreadsteeds of the Nathrezim, or the Dreadlords, reside. So, as one person stated several times already, it's rather the Nathrezim that will be the new playable race for the Horde (Pandaren going to the Alliance for reasons you can read on WoWiki). This works because "the dreadlords lost much power when several of their most influential members fell to the Forsaken armies under Sylvanas Windrunner’s banner. Now the dreadlords seem almost a myth, a story told to frighten children". Blizzard could make it so that the dreadlords allied with the Forsaken have re-establsihed their contact with their homeworld and had their brothers join the ranks of the Forsaken, and therefore with the Horde. Of course, I do not see this happening either, thought, due to the looks of Varimathras in the game. My Undead Mage reaches to his knees. There is no way Blizzard will introduce a huge race with wings as a playable race.

So... chances are there will be a race we do not know of yet. What did we know of the Dranei before the Burning Crusade? Perhaps there is a lesser race who inhabit Xoroth, who, through connections with the Dreadlords of the Forsaken, who they will probobly share a common history with the Dreadlords. That is my guess, anyway.

What one needs to take into consideration is that the new races will be played from level 1, so they should somehow fit into the old world. Remember that the Blood Elves in Silvermoon City doesn't know about what their Prince are doing, because what you play in Everson Woods doesn't take place during the Burning Crusade.

I must say, I have been one of those posting thread about "the South Seas and the Maelstrom" will be another expansion, "the Emerald Dream" another and then there will be expansions where one ventures to other worlds like Outlands. I did not believe there was an actual planned end to World of WarCraft. But having read the original post of this thread my take has altered. Now I, as all of you, can see the future of the Warcraft franchise.

As World of WarCraft take place slightly after WarCraft III, I believe that Blizzard intended to end this era in the WarCraft universe with World of WarCraft. As one can guess if the zones in the original plans is truly from Blizzard then one can predict that "the Legion set", which zone levels indicate there will be no more levels, will be the last expansion of the game. The Burning Citadel will feuture Kil'Jaeden as the final boss, and the head of the Burning Crusade will fall, and the Burning Crusade will have been defeated. The Burning Crusade, whom is responsible for creating many of the greatest villians in World of WarCraft, without them there would have been no Lich King, no Illidan, the Orcs and the Humans would never have meet, there wuold have been no Wars of the Alliance and the Horde, as there would not have been an Horde, no Forsaken, no Blood Elves. So fighting off the top of the hill will be the last thing, and if those zones are true, that will happen.

So evil will have been cleansed from the universe and all will be good. The End.

With the cliffhanger of Sargeras spirit still floating around in the Twisting Nether, unable to take form as there are no body strong enough to hold his mighty presence. Until...

WarCraft IV, we rejoin the races of the WarCraft universe hundreds, maybe thousands of years later, and many of the characters we know of will be long gone, but a new evil have rised, to take revenge on the mortal races who once destroyed his plans to rule the universe. Sargeras has returned, legends of old must be told to defeat evil once again, but the new shape it has taken requires new allegiences and new ways to fight it. A long time has passed, alliances that once were are no more, new ones has been made, the world has changed, old homes have been retaken, new ones have been found. WarCraft IV will be a huge hit, and a few years later, the next installment of the WarCraft franchise will see the light of day.. World of WarCraft II.

//Zarc the Dreamweaver

Edited, Aug 22nd 2008 2:14pm by ZarctheDreamweaver
#64 Aug 22 2008 at 10:06 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
63 posts
If worgens are from another dimension, theres a human who turns into a worgen, which would bring confusion to the idea. The human is next to the first boss that drops the shoulder pads, next to the npcs that open the door for you. The human will only turn into a worgen if you have the blood elf paladin quest.

*edit* I remembered the little town outside Shadowfang Keep. They had humans that turned to worgens at night back in the days elites could be found a lot outside instances.

Edited, Aug 22nd 2008 2:05pm by Mourniquet
____________________________
Common Sense: So rare, its considered a super power.

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u117/Mourniquet/common-sense.jpg
#65 Aug 22 2008 at 11:08 AM Rating: Decent
Kavekk wrote:
I dunno, Theophany, Pandaren have closer relations to Horde than Alliance. Alliance already has Worgen that are friendly to them - during the day, anyway. Plus, you guys got belfs and we got squids.


Technically, the tauren were also as close to the Night elves as to the orcs, and probably would have no love for the blood elves nor forsaken, but they had to create a dichotomous faction line. There's no real reason that the taruen would be enemies of the night elves though, they were friends.

So, while they did assist Rexxar, the wiki says they match closer to the alliance and are most likely found with alliance company. They're still unaligned though. Since their culture is all about teh beer, I could see them being close friends with the dwarves. I don't see helping an individual that happens to be part of the horde as proof of anything. That happens all the time, heck besides WoW, there's not really any clear factions.

Honestly, maybe by then they'll have broken down the faction system. :O There's all the mechanics in the game right now that they could just push a few buttons and the horde vs alliance thing would simply go away. You could be aligned with whatever factions you wanted, you have rep towards any of them, there's code in place for learning the other langues, etc.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#66 Aug 22 2008 at 12:27 PM Rating: Decent
*****
10,754 posts
If Blizzard released the ********* in a box class, everyone would reroll one. Such is the power of Blizzard.
____________________________
I will go to the animal shelter and get you a kitty-cat. I will let you fall in love with that kitty-cat. And then, on some dark, cold night, I will steal away into your home, and PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE.

#67 Aug 23 2008 at 4:37 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
Avatar
**
598 posts
Perhaps we'll get a Brewmaster hero class which can only be Pandaren. :P
#68 Aug 23 2008 at 8:52 AM Rating: Excellent
Ghost in the Machine
Avatar
******
36,199 posts
Sweet Jesus, level 100?

Can you imagine leveling from 1-100? The experience boost will have been increased ten times or so in the process. You arrive in Northshire Valley, turn in the very first introduction quest and instantly level to 20.

Woopsie.
____________________________
Please "talk up" if your comprehension white-shifts. I will use simple-happy language-words to help you understand.
#69 Aug 23 2008 at 10:01 AM Rating: Decent
****
4,717 posts
Can we just sticky this? or do we bump this every 10 days or so?
____________________________
Penny Arcade wrote:
I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time.
#70 Aug 24 2008 at 9:22 PM Rating: Decent
**
858 posts
Pandaren will never happen because I remember a blue post when people were wondering who the TBC alliance race would be and the CM said that pandaren would be considered insulting to their chinese player base.

Something along the lines of that.
____________________________
My ffxi story
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?forum=51&mid=1116130867279062503&num=7

"Music is not an end in itself, but a means of addressing humanity - Modest Mussorgsky"


No one ever survived by giving their life for their country, It was by letting the other dumb ******* give their life for their country!
#71 Aug 24 2008 at 11:22 PM Rating: Decent
****
5,080 posts
well the zones seem to match up for WOTLK and this post was made back in sep 2007, almost a year ago now so I guess we can assume its 100% authentic.

By the way, I still say Nazrethim and Pandaren.
____________________________
In Loving Memory of SatanWantsMe 2006-2008
SWM Wiki | Journal | What I am listening to right now
#72 Aug 25 2008 at 12:44 AM Rating: Good
Sage
**
863 posts
Zarc wrote:
Blizzard could make it so that the dreadlords allied with the Forsaken have re-establsihed their contact with their homeworld and had their brothers join the ranks of the Forsaken, and therefore with the Horde.


Dreadlords did not ally with the Forsaken. Varimathras is the only one and he did not join by his own free will. Even so, these are the very demons the whole of Azeroth is fighting against. Why help them gain access to their home world? It will only make them a threat. Dreadlords are powerful demons in their own right, I can't imagine they'll be playable race. When ppl start rolling Nathrezim, it'll be like a Burning Legion invasion once more - you can't have Dreadlords pouring out of a newbie area and into the world. That wouldn't make any sense.

Wiki wrote:
t was the dreadlords Mal'ganis and Tichondrius who first spread the taint and corruption of the Legion across Lordaeron and Felwood respectively, and after their deaths by the hands of the enemies of the Scourge, it was Varimathras and his brothers, Detheroc and Balnazzar, who were put in charge of the undead forces in Lordaeron while Archimonde took his forces across the sea to Kalimdor to siphon energy from the World Tree Nordrassil on Mount Hyjal.


They have done too much evil to be considered an ally, even to the Horde. Varimathras can't be trusted, there's no reason for him to keep serving Sylvanas that we know of - he might have his own plans to regain power altogether. No, don't think Nathrezim will become a playable race. It just wouldn't be right - no one trusts them, and there's only 1 in service of the Horde due to Sylvanas' manipulation.

Worgen are unlikely too, but easier to create a storyline for. What Blizz did to the Draenei is easily repeated for the Worgen - especially those on Azeroth, not longer in contact their home world. They would be an ally to the Horde because they too are an enemy of the Alliance. Far fetched? Yes, but not an option to be discarded.

Pandaren an issue in China? I don't know if Blizz is going to care for that - I guess they are. It would be silly not to with the amount of income at stake. They did re-do the skin on their undead, so they do respect their culture. Would pandaran get another skin in China too? They would just be a kind of bear. Would they then not still be panda's? Blizz would need to find a loophole to be able to do that, but it seems plausible.
It could be Furbolgs too, for if you did the Draenei starting area, you see that the Draenei are very close with the Furbolgs and even speak their language. Just like the Horde only has on tribe of trolls (Darkspear) as an ally, while the others are hostile to both factions, the Alliance might get a tribe of Furbolgs at their side. Not impossible imho.

****, a tribe Furbolg could even side with the Horde for all we know - it's all so easy to manipulate. Who would have expected Blizz to get a playable race from outer space? Nah, I'm not calling any shots yet. They might even invent some - yet unknown - amphibic tribe (naga offshoot).

Or Dark Iron dwarves, you could form them into a Horde race when you're willing to rape the lore again - that would give the Horde another Paladin race, like the Furbolgs could give alliance another Shaman race.

Ah, speculation! Gotta love it.

edit: spelling

Edited, Aug 25th 2008 11:26am by Hence
____________________________
- Keeper of Teh Caek -

High Priest in the Church of Moo

#76 Aug 25 2008 at 12:24 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
2,602 posts
Quote:
They might also be adding another hero class then, too


didnt blizz tell news fellows during a blizzcon that they plan to release a hero class with every expansion now?
____________________________
Quote:
Also they aren't pixels, they're polygons, any **** you watch on your PC is pixels, and besides, real women are just cells.
#77 Aug 25 2008 at 12:29 PM Rating: Excellent
I never quite understood where the 'pandaren are offensive to chinese people' argument came from... they didn't seem to mind when he was added has a hero in WC3, why would they mind if they became a race in WoW?
#78 Aug 25 2008 at 1:30 PM Rating: Excellent
****
6,677 posts
Actually, they did, Tyr. I could be talking out of my ****, but I don't believe Warcraft 3 was sold in China. They definitely had problems with the samurai panda, since the Japanese and Chinese cultures don't mesh well, and because it encouraged the killing of pandas which is against Chinese law.
____________________________
Only the exceptions can be exceptional.
#79 Aug 25 2008 at 1:53 PM Rating: Decent
****
4,717 posts
Azuarc wrote:
Actually, they did, Tyr. I could be talking out of my ****, but I don't believe Warcraft 3 was sold in China. They definitely had problems with the samurai panda, since the Japanese and Chinese cultures don't mesh well, and because it encouraged the killing of pandas which is against Chinese law.



Not that I disagree with you Azurac, but rather the ruling. When in that game did you ever NEED to kill a Pandarean?
____________________________
Penny Arcade wrote:
I don't know why people ever, ever try to stop nerds from doing things. It's really the most incredible waste of time.
#80 Aug 25 2008 at 5:18 PM Rating: Decent
20 posts
Sticky please.

This post gets bumped from pages back all the time, and it's a very interesting read, I've had it in my favourites for ages since I couldn't be bothered finding it again.
____________________________
I has signature.
#81 Aug 26 2008 at 4:10 AM Rating: Excellent
Sage
**
863 posts
Azuarc wrote:
I could be talking out of my ****


Hey! I'm working on that, too - but I p00p each time I try a diphthong.


Anyway - I wonder if it's the population being bothered by the panda issue or the commi government. I also wonder whether they made a fuss about this in India too, I mean - you're able to kill cows ingame, and Taurens are cows... there must have been some objection there, but it's a free government.

As long as the game doesn't revolve around killing pandas I guess it'll be alright. I mean there's a whole allied faction trying to keep that from happening. I'm not one to judge, but I think it's rather trivial to begin with - it's not like it's "World of Warcraft: The Doom of the Pandaren".

Wait - it isn't, is it?



edit: punctuation

Edited, Aug 26th 2008 2:08pm by Hence
____________________________
- Keeper of Teh Caek -

High Priest in the Church of Moo

#82 Aug 26 2008 at 5:27 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Actually, they did, Tyr. I could be talking out of my ****, but I don't believe Warcraft 3 was sold in China. They definitely had problems with the samurai panda, since the Japanese and Chinese cultures don't mesh well, and because it encouraged the killing of pandas which is against Chinese law.


Again, do you have a link of any kind to back this up Az (or anybody else)?

I heard about all this a lot, but there's never any evidence... I mean, all I'm asking is for 1 shred of evidence, and I'll gladly agree.

If you do 'Warcraft 3 + china' search on google, you don't get article about censorship or what not - you get the roster for the Chinese team that won the WC3 WSVG tournament in 2005.

From all account, the 'China = No panda' rumor was started because people were disapointed that we got Draenei and not pandaren in TBC, and for some reason everybody bought into it.


Edited, Aug 26th 2008 9:25am by Tyrandor
#83 Aug 26 2008 at 6:01 AM Rating: Excellent
**
808 posts
A certain Jack Black cinematic masterpiece was apparently met with protests, but still made a decent bit of coin over in the People's Republic:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/07/16/asia/letter.php

Since Blizzard accommodated themselves to the preferences of the Chinese market once (undead) there's reason to believe that they'll do it again, even if there's no actual censorship involved.
#84Shinjito, Posted: Aug 26 2008 at 6:08 AM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) Before we create theories about expansions that may or may not happen- shouldn't we worry about the one that we know will happen? >_> it seems kind of silly to talk about leveling to 100 at this point when that sort of thing won't happen for easily another 5 years. I'm willing to bet that Blizzard is waiting for some sort of revolutionary gaming technology *cough*virtualreality*cough* so they can play around with it and work the expansions that way.
#85 Aug 26 2008 at 6:30 AM Rating: Good
Scholar
***
3,909 posts
It'll be Worgen because Dreadlords are unfeasible as a player race. It's like you're playing a pen-and-paper RPG, and the core races you get are human, elf, dwarf, halfling, and elder vampire sorcerer. Who is seriously going to pick a halfling over an elder vampire sorcerer? Worgen, however, are an almost completely blank slate background-wise, which gives Blizzard more room to maneouvre. Plus - Wolfenhold. Seriously. Dead giveaway. They can still fit dreadlords in. Vampire<->werewolf conflict concept, very popular.

Quote:
Or Dark Iron dwarves, you could form them into a Horde race when you're willing to rape the lore again - that would give the Horde another Paladin race, like the Furbolgs could give alliance another Shaman race.


Dark Iron paladins don't exist. The Ironforge dwarves adopted the paladin ethos from the humans of Stormwind, the same way they adopted the priesthood. Besides, Dark Irons are more into elemental sorcery, summoning, and fire magic. They'd make a crap player race, seriously. They'd just be reskinned dwarves with a new racial. It'd be ****. Serious ****.

And whoever made that wiki article about the Maelstrom needs to die in a fire. Goblin riding foxes? Where would they get foxes underground? I can't even speculate on the logic that caused him to reach that conclusion.
#86 Aug 26 2008 at 6:44 AM Rating: Good
11 posts
Quote:
From all account, the 'China = No panda' rumor was started because people were disapointed that we got Draenei and not pandaren in TBC, and for some reason everybody bought into it.


Actually I do remember that particular arguement. Before Draenei were announced Pandaren was the hopeful race for Alliance players. A Blizz rep said at that time they weren't making plans for Pandas to be a playable race in WoW due to a dispute with the Chinese government.

He never specified that they were going to use Pandaren for BC but were legally unable to, he just said they wouldn't be a playable race in BC. If that makes sense, you are keeping up just fine with Blizzards loopholes.
#87 Aug 26 2008 at 6:53 AM Rating: Decent
**
301 posts
Well these places are in one expansion:

The Green Lands - 88 to 91
The Dying Paradise - 91 to 94
The Emerald Nightmare - 94 to 97
The Eye of Ysera - 97 to 100

Deephome - 88 to 91
Skywall - 91 to 94
The Abyssal Maw - 94 to 97
The Firelands - 97 to 100

Since it's like this, i think one will be for horde and one for alliance, or they have a backup of the place :S
____________________________
Quote:
Q: Are we going to nerf Ret?
A: TO THE GROUND BABY

~Ghostcrawler



#88 Aug 26 2008 at 7:53 AM Rating: Excellent
Quote:
Actually I do remember that particular arguement. Before Draenei were announced Pandaren was the hopeful race for Alliance players. A Blizz rep said at that time they weren't making plans for Pandas to be a playable race in WoW due to a dispute with the Chinese government.


Except a Blizzard employee never actually said that.

Here:

Quote:
Supposedly, a gaming magazine was brought to Blizzard's offices in the fall of 2005 to view the Burning Crusade expansion pack for the first time. There were dozens of posters and artwork depicting the pandaren as the new Alliance race. This rumor goes on to suggest the race was then canceled for reasons concerning "pandas being a sacred animal" in China, or with the "political problems [associated with a] Japanese/Chinese hybrid". Other gaming sources stated that when "mentioning the ex-April-Fools-joke Pandaren Empire to Blizzard staff got a surprisingly cagey response..." Blizzard has yet to confirm or deny these rumors directly.


I don't know why this rumor (Because yeah, that's all it is) is taken at face value by so many people.

Edited, Aug 26th 2008 11:50am by Tyrandor
#89 Aug 26 2008 at 10:55 AM Rating: Excellent
****
6,677 posts
justdistaint wrote:
When in that game did you ever NEED to kill a Pandarean?


It doesn't matter if you need to. It matters that you can. The reason you can't kill the children in Stormwind city is because German law prohibits any depictions of violence toward children, animated or otherwise. You don't ever NEED to take your horde character into Stormwind and AE the field trip group, but before it was patched, you could.

Hence wrote:
Anyway - I wonder if it's the population being bothered by the panda issue or the commi government. I also wonder whether they made a fuss about this in India too, I mean - you're able to kill cows ingame, and Taurens are cows... there must have been some objection there, but it's a free government.


Cows being sacred is associated with a particular religion in the country that not everyone there worships. Many, yes, but not all. The issue with pandas is that they are endangered and highly symbolic of the country. China doesn't want to see them die due to bamboo deforestation.

Tyrandor wrote:
Again, do you have a link of any kind to back this up Az (or anybody else)?


I'm horrible at finding credible sources on the internet. I do remember reading an interview with one of the Blizz artists who initially designed the Pandaren as he expressed his (post-mortem) surprise at China not liking the Japanese influence on a panda.

However, to answer your question directly, no, I do not have a link to back it up.


Seguris wrote:
Well these places are in one expansion:

The Green Lands - 88 to 91
The Dying Paradise - 91 to 94
The Emerald Nightmare - 94 to 97
The Eye of Ysera - 97 to 100

Deephome - 88 to 91
Skywall - 91 to 94
The Abyssal Maw - 94 to 97
The Firelands - 97 to 100

Since it's like this, i think one will be for horde and one for alliance, or they have a backup of the place :S


I'm pretty sure those will be available to both, and just two distinct regions to enter. The first four zones are part of the Emerald Dream. I don't know exactly where the other four are. But there's no reason to believe that they're faction specific...plus that would be a pretty crappy expansion if you could only visit half of the xpac zones.
____________________________
Only the exceptions can be exceptional.
#90 Aug 28 2008 at 11:27 AM Rating: Good
The only problem the Chinese had with the Pandarans were that they had Japanese clothing. Blizzard changed their outfit and this is no longer a problem. It is interesting how these rumors get blown absolutely out of proportion though. People hear something and since its those strange foreign Chinese people, they just accept it. I imagine the Chinese actually like the Pandaren very much now.

The two rumors about China that were true: They didn't like their national animal being depicted in Japanese clothing, this was changed. You can't show bones in china, they have undead models with no bones showing.
____________________________
Die! Die die die. die die die die, die die. - Scarlet Briar
#91iamboard, Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 5:28 PM, Rating: Sub-Default, (Expand Post) so IF those are the future expansions then by the end we would be destroying the Burning Legion and then the end?
#93 Nov 04 2008 at 11:35 PM Rating: Good
1 post
I found this thread and found it extremely interesting. The debate on whether a new playable race would be Nathrezim or Worgen in particular. So I looked up Worgen on wowwiki to see what I could find.

It seems that people are pointing out Xorothian Plains in a starting area and Wolfenhold in the other as proof of Worgen or Nathrezim but if you read Velinde's Journal in WoW it says that the Worgen are fighting and losing on their home world against "Lords of the Emerald Flame." If they aren't Nathrezim I will shard my gear and give all of my gold to the first level 1 that spawns in front of me in the Valley of Trials.

If they are both on Xoroth then it's not too hard to assume that it could be Worgen just as easily as Nathrezim. In fact I would say much easier. Once again from searching on wowwiki most of the hard info on Worgen come from Kirin Tor who know of their existence because Worgen occasionally get brought to Azeroth after magical mistakes. It also says that no one knows precisely how to open the portals for them to come through. This to me, leaves sufficient room to write in extenuating circumstances without messing with canon to much. For example, the rifts they came through were never made correctly and they were addled, hence the bloodthirstiness they are known for. This is just an idea of something that could possibly fit of course. It doesn't fit perfectly of course because of The Book of Ur which talks about the Worgen on their homeworld being evil but I am not Chris Metzen. Then again he has made some continuity errors too hasn't he.

I personally think it would work better for the Worgen to be a playable race than the Nathrezim. I would also like to see it more. I've always thought the Worgen looked awesome.

http://www.wowwiki.com/Worgen

http://www.wowwiki.com/The_Book_of_Ur

http://www.wowwiki.com/Velinde%27s_Journal
#94 Nov 05 2008 at 2:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
210 posts
I do remember seeing the emerald dream. A very early version of the terrain (and quite a bit of hellfire peninsula) was already in the data of the game at or close after release. Not sure if it is still, but back then you could check out the terrain using a special tool (which just showed the terrain, it was not ingame). From what I saw though, it seemed like it would be a big zone once finished, definitely not large enough for a full expansion.
#95 Nov 05 2008 at 2:13 AM Rating: Decent
**
727 posts
ACVegas wrote:
on think i did notice is that if they are doing 5 expantions they are planning to put out 3 or 4 of the within the next 7.5 years


i agree. If you think about it, BC was released about 2 years after vanilla, and wotlk is being released about 2 years after BC..... guess..we can expect to see a new expansion in about 2 years, so we will find out then.
____________________________
[wowsig]2537067[/wowsig]

Quote:
some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.


#96 Nov 05 2008 at 2:31 AM Rating: Good
Sage
***
1,502 posts
On the panda comment. I used to play Guild Wars and during beta for one Asian-themed expansion, people mentioned they'd like pandas as Ranger pets. The official word on it (from their customer liason) was that it would cause offence to the Chinese.

Obviously Rangers wouldn't try and kill their pets, quite the opposite. So it wasn't the fact that you would kill pandas ona regular basis, but purely for the fact it was possible. I've never seen anything official from Blizzard, but it's not too much of a stretch for me to believe they have the same issue.
____________________________
Verata - Blood Elf Death Knight
Rasen - Troll Druid
Peloquin - Troll Hunter
Cenobite - Undead Warlock
~Runetotem EU~

#97 Nov 05 2008 at 5:03 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
61 posts
we'll find out before its actually announced, as always lol

but if we follow the way Blizz brings expensions / area patches out : Azeroth (main) > Outland > back to Azeroth > next ? back to Outland maybe ?

There is still 1 critical place missing in Outlands, Deathwing's Lair, which should be kinda East of Netherstorm / N-E of Hellfire. And we are are missing our General Paladin and his lover. They could be fighting Deathwing on his island, which could be added in a expension OR patch onto Outland.
#98 Nov 05 2008 at 6:07 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
*
203 posts
Realized this post originated over a year ago. I thought I had seen this at least a couple times before.

Edited, Nov 5th 2008 9:11am by uzemaki
____________________________
To never try is to never succeed.
#99 Jul 01 2009 at 8:29 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
591 posts
/Necropost.

With the Cataclysm trademark announcement I think reviving this thread is warranted. Looks like it refers to the sea expansion.
____________________________
Shaowstrike wrote:
I'm looking forward to the thousands of LGBT shock troops storming Mormon Churches in rainbow camouflage.


Remorajunbao wrote:
SHUT THE @#%^ UP DARTHGEKKO.
<3


#100 Jul 01 2009 at 9:22 PM Rating: Excellent
DarthGekko wrote:
/Necropost.

With the Cataclysm trademark announcement I think reviving this thread is warranted. Looks like it refers to the sea expansion.


Yep that's spot on and with the list pretty much following word for word the last 2 expansions I say we know the future =p
____________________________
Content Manager
torhead.com | teratome.com | twitter.com/fewyn
#101 Jul 01 2009 at 9:40 PM Rating: Good
Scholar
**
591 posts
Quote:
Yep that's spot on and with the list pretty much following word for word the last 2 expansions I say we know the future =p


With so much power in our hands......it is so tempting to use it for evil....MWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA
____________________________
Shaowstrike wrote:
I'm looking forward to the thousands of LGBT shock troops storming Mormon Churches in rainbow camouflage.


Remorajunbao wrote:
SHUT THE @#%^ UP DARTHGEKKO.
<3


This thread is locked
You cannot post in a locked topic!
Recent Visitors: 46 All times are in CST
Anonymous Guests (46)