Forum Settings
       
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

PS4Follow

#52 Feb 05 2013 at 2:32 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,555 posts
Interestingly, the released spec speculations of the PS4 actually make it just a bit less powerful than my 2 year old gaming machine. At the price point of $400 that would be a pretty good deal, and actually stronger than a commodity PC with a good video card slapped in it.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#53 Feb 05 2013 at 2:51 PM Rating: Good
***
2,010 posts
Kaelanis wrote:
I think that the other thing that the 360 has going against it for a release of XIV is the fact that the system is not very popular in Japan.


It's definitely not, but Japan wasn't the target market when SE negotiated to bring XI to the xbox and presumably it wouldn't be for an XIV release, either. Unfortunately for the xbox crowd, the target market of NA also is heavily skewed towards MMOs = PC.

Most NA that are interested in this game are probably going to play on PC, with a handful of us on Ps3. Sure it would be cool to have an option to play on xbox, but I wouldn't want a gold membership to do it, nor would I want part of SE's cut to have to go to some royalties ******** M$ thinks they are entitled to for the privilege of developing for their platform.
#54 Feb 05 2013 at 3:49 PM Rating: Decent
Guru
***
1,300 posts
Torrence wrote:
Kaelanis wrote:
I think that the other thing that the 360 has going against it for a release of XIV is the fact that the system is not very popular in Japan.

Sure it would be cool to have an option to play on xbox, but I wouldn't want a gold membership to do it, nor would I want part of SE's cut to have to go to some royalties bullsh*t M$ thinks they are entitled to for the privilege of developing for their platform.


I'm convinced it's a price-point issue that has halted 360 development. Between licensing and what the user will be expected to pay-to-play (obviously it would end up being too high for the user or too low for either MS or SE), it's been impossible to reach an agreement where everyone gets an equitable "cut" of the subscription dollars. Maybe they'll have better luck on the next gen system.
#55 Feb 05 2013 at 4:58 PM Rating: Decent
*
91 posts
Elionara wrote:
I guess everyone missed Yoshi's interview answer on this and many other things such as:
Micro-transactions
life time subscriptions
free to play model
ps4
directx 11 and so on.


Those EXIST? How come none of the MMOs I ever played had that option!? Man alive, I'd actually be able to enjoy an MMO! Monthly fees stress me the **** out. I never feel like I'm playing fifteen dollars worth. It's a full blown anxiety attack for me to subscribe to an MMO because I feel like I'm obligated to have fun each month.
#56 Feb 05 2013 at 5:45 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
**
931 posts
Chromanin wrote:
Elionara wrote:
I guess everyone missed Yoshi's interview answer on this and many other things such as:
Micro-transactions
life time subscriptions
free to play model
ps4
directx 11 and so on.


Those EXIST? How come none of the MMOs I ever played had that option!? Man alive, I'd actually be able to enjoy an MMO! Monthly fees stress me the **** out. I never feel like I'm playing fifteen dollars worth. It's a full blown anxiety attack for me to subscribe to an MMO because I feel like I'm obligated to have fun each month.


Quite a few do have it, but they're VERY expensive, and risky.

Like some people have bought $200 lifetime subs for games that ended up going free later that year. lol
____________________________
MUTED
#57 Feb 05 2013 at 9:37 PM Rating: Good
**
598 posts
"Lifetime" subscription screams cash grab death watch. It just wreaks of a company declaring they will profit from a short term effort.
I see so much complaining about existing MMO. You all spit out every existing mmo after a few months while clinging to whatever Tera or GW2 suits your specific fancy. How any one of you could possibly validate a lifetime subscription in the current mmo climate is beyond me.
/passes out from too much wine.
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#58 Feb 05 2013 at 10:31 PM Rating: Good
**
383 posts
ShindaUsagi wrote:
"Lifetime" subscription screams cash grab death watch. It just wreaks of a company declaring they will profit from a short term effort.
I see so much complaining about existing MMO. You all spit out every existing mmo after a few months while clinging to whatever Tera or GW2 suits your specific fancy. How any one of you could possibly validate a lifetime subscription in the current mmo climate is beyond me.
/passes out from too much wine.

You never know. If you stick with the game long enough, it could be worth it.

Personally, I think that offering a lifetime sub wreaks of knowing that your product isn't worth the time that the money would have bought if you had subbed monthly. Although, if either WoW or FFXI had offered a lifetime sub, I would have definitely got the better end of either deal.
____________________________
This is my sig; Enjoy.
FFXIV: Tom Carroll - Excalibur
FC: Sitzkireg (www.sitzkrieg.guildwork.com)
#59 Feb 06 2013 at 1:09 AM Rating: Good
Avatar
***
2,688 posts
Actually... hasn't EVERY MMO that offered a lifetime sub gone free-to-play by this point?

Yeah, the lifetime sub sounds like a much better option than it is given that reality.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#60 Feb 06 2013 at 8:44 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,177 posts
Xoie wrote:
UltKnightGrover wrote:
You know how FFXIV 1.0 had seamless transitions between zones but were limited in the graphics they could display resulting in bland zones and heavy resource-reuse? Better hardware in the system could have averted that problem.


So how does WoW do it on PCs that were considered average back in 2004? It wasn't just "seamless" zoning between similar looking zones either, but you could literally fly between very different looking zones without skipping a beat.


I don't know the exact reasoning behind it, but it was something to do with PS3 textures loading. That's why they delayed it to March 2011 the first time way back when, or at least that's why they claimed to have delayed it.

World of Warcraft is just for PC.
____________________________
Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn
Grover Eyeveen - Hyperion Server
Viva Eorzea Free Company/Linkshell Leader - Hyperion Server

Aegis Server (2012-2013)
Figaro Server (2010-2012)

Final Fantasy XI:
Retired

Blog
#61 Feb 06 2013 at 10:20 AM Rating: Decent
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,555 posts
Not an MMO, but Livejournal lifetime paid subscriptions were $200 and they were offered ten years ago. Livejournal is still around. Anyone who bought one has gotten a real bargain.

____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#62 Feb 06 2013 at 10:22 AM Rating: Good
******
44,536 posts
They've been using Livejournal for ten years. Sounds more like a Monkey's Paw deal to me.
____________________________
George Carlin wrote:
I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately.
#63 Feb 06 2013 at 10:55 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,267 posts
Wint wrote:
Nashred wrote:
We will never see it on the Xbox due to Microsoft. Microsoft does not want any cross platform games or games that use servers off their network that they don't have control over of billing. I have been waiting for ever to hear this game would come to the 360 and was developed to be for a long time. Believe me I would love to see it.


So how does XI do it?



It is just like Torrence said. SE had way more power back then and Microsoft need them to help boost the 360. SE never made a game for the original Xbox. The final fantasy series is a very good selling series and helped Sony out. The same with EA back then, they could make or break a system. Microsoft let them because they need them at the time. Microsoft has lost vision and wont take a risk in my opinion and focused on mainly sport titles and First person shooters and such. If it aint going to be a sure hit they wont even look at the game anymore.

Oh and Torrence I completely agree with the first part. But why FFXIV is not on the Xbox is what SE said for the reason. There have been several interviews where it was asked and they have had several different reasons. SE wanted to bring it and Microsoft refused so it really does not matter. I picked up a ps3 for this game the other day. I am also looking at a computer too for it, since me and my girlfriend play ffxi and she is now excited about this FFXIV too.
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#64 Feb 06 2013 at 11:04 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
***
1,267 posts
Kaelanis wrote:
I think that the other thing that the 360 has going against it for a release of XIV is the fact that the system is not very popular in Japan.

Edited, Feb 5th 2013 3:29pm by Kaelanis



True but I thought there was a poll between PS2, PC, and Xbox for FFXI. I can find it to verify but I know it was close between the pc and xbox. Way closer than I would have thought. I think the pc gap was also do to the fact some people played on both.

I know I run into allot of xbox users and very few ps2 users.


Edited, Feb 6th 2013 12:10pm by Nashred
____________________________
FFXI: Nashred
Server: Phoenix

FFXIV : Sir Nashred
server: Ultros
#65 Feb 06 2013 at 6:42 PM Rating: Good
***
3,530 posts
lolgaxe wrote:
They've been using Livejournal for ten years. Sounds more like a Monkey's Paw deal to me.


Absolutely wonderful. Smiley: lol
____________________________
"... he called to himself a wizard, named Gallery, hoping by this means to escape the paying of the fifteen hundred crowns..." (Machen 15)

"Thus opium is pleasing... on account of the agreeable delirium it produces." (Burke para.6)

"I could only read so much for this paper and the syphilis poem had to go."
#66 Feb 07 2013 at 2:52 AM Rating: Decent
***
3,770 posts
Nashred wrote:
Kaelanis wrote:
I think that the other thing that the 360 has going against it for a release of XIV is the fact that the system is not very popular in Japan.

Edited, Feb 5th 2013 3:29pm by Kaelanis



True but I thought there was a poll between PS2, PC, and Xbox for FFXI. I can find it to verify but I know it was close between the pc and xbox. Way closer than I would have thought. I think the pc gap was also do to the fact some people played on both.

I know I run into allot of xbox users and very few ps2 users.


Playing XI on PS2 required you to buy a HD that was good for nothing other than XI really. It sounded like they had plans for it, but actually brought those plans to life in the PS3.
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#67 Feb 07 2013 at 4:07 AM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I'm guessing they were thinking of the PSN but couldn't realize it until the PS3 launched.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#68 Feb 07 2013 at 7:22 AM Rating: Default
****
4,564 posts
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Nashred wrote:
Kaelanis wrote:
I think that the other thing that the 360 has going against it for a release of XIV is the fact that the system is not very popular in Japan.

Edited, Feb 5th 2013 3:29pm by Kaelanis



True but I thought there was a poll between PS2, PC, and Xbox for FFXI. I can find it to verify but I know it was close between the pc and xbox. Way closer than I would have thought. I think the pc gap was also do to the fact some people played on both.

I know I run into allot of xbox users and very few ps2 users.


Playing XI on PS2 required you to buy a HD that was good for nothing other than XI really. It sounded like they had plans for it, but actually brought those plans to life in the PS3.


resident eviil outbreak, socom 3 :p
#69 Feb 07 2013 at 2:27 PM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
***
1,306 posts
Archmage Callinon wrote:
The human eye can only discern about 60 fps anyway. Above that and video will start to appear slower as the frames are smoothed further and further out.


The rest of your post was fairly factual but in regards to what you just spouted....

STOP.

I am so sick and tired of seeing people mindlessly quoting this misinformation. First it was "The human eye can't discern above 24 frames a second." Then it was 30, and now it's 60 apparently. It's like a chain email of stupidity that never ends.

The fact of the matter is **** is relative and it's entirely dependent upon the person and their own optical nerves as to where they can discern slowdown. Personally mine's somewhere around 80-90 I *personally* can't detect anything above that. One of my roommates, Peter, however, can't tell the difference above 30 himself -- it all seems the same to him and he's 20/20 vision whereas I'm blind-as-a-bat nearsighted. His wife, on the other hand, constantly complains about frames above 90 being slow even though I can't tell a difference.

It's completely relative.

Archmage Callinon wrote:
I don't really wonder, it's the way this board is set up to encourage a hivemind and discourage any differing opinions. so it's no surprise to me that people would dislike me here.


No, they dislike you because you're an incorrect and blatant *** that doesn't offer anything but incorrect information and a pathetically combative attitude.

Plus, ZAM's hardly hivelike (for FFXI and FFXIV anyway) unless it involves subligar, Tanaka, or BARANCE.

catwho wrote:
My friiend the PS3 dev says they really haven't maxed out the capabilities of the PS3 yet. It's not quite completely optimized.

Think of the difference in graphics between FFX and FFXII. We thought that FFX and MGS2 were the extent of what the PS2 was capable of. We were wrong.


You got me to thinking on that so I loaded both of them up to try to compare. Looking at both games the actual graphical fidelity doesn't really seem to be that different (and if anything the jaggedness of a lot of FFXII looks worse actually). The difference, though, seems to be in the textures and artwork. I wouldn't be surprised if working on FFX and then FFXI helped them to squeeze as much as they could out of the limited VRAM.

That's probably personal tastes though. They look the same to me in terms of fidelity (aside from the textures in FFXII being better).



Edited, Feb 7th 2013 3:34pm by Viertel
#70 Feb 07 2013 at 2:35 PM Rating: Decent
Avatar
***
2,688 posts
Would you please attribute that second quote to the person that actually said it.
____________________________
svlyons wrote:
If random outcomes aren't acceptable to you, then don't play with random people.
#71 Feb 07 2013 at 2:37 PM Rating: Decent
***
3,770 posts
DuoMaxwellxx wrote:
FilthMcNasty wrote:
Nashred wrote:
Kaelanis wrote:
I think that the other thing that the 360 has going against it for a release of XIV is the fact that the system is not very popular in Japan.

Edited, Feb 5th 2013 3:29pm by Kaelanis



True but I thought there was a poll between PS2, PC, and Xbox for FFXI. I can find it to verify but I know it was close between the pc and xbox. Way closer than I would have thought. I think the pc gap was also do to the fact some people played on both.

I know I run into allot of xbox users and very few ps2 users.


Playing XI on PS2 required you to buy a HD that was good for nothing other than XI really. It sounded like they had plans for it, but actually brought those plans to life in the PS3.


resident eviil outbreak, socom 3 :p


Socom 2 also used it, but my point is that it wasn't as widely used as HD on PS3 or Xbox360 are now. Where were all the games creating downloadable content for consoles when the PS2 HD was announced?
____________________________
Rinsui wrote:
Only hips + boobs all day and hips + boobs all over my icecream

HaibaneRenmei wrote:
30 bucks is almost free

cocodojo wrote:
Its personal preference and all, but yes we need to educate WoW players that this is OUR game, these are Characters and not Toons. Time to beat that into them one at a time.
#72 Feb 07 2013 at 4:34 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,796 posts
Honestly I'd rather see Wii U development than PS4. The saturation rate for the PS3 is big enough and the PS2 has shown us the shelf life is long enough to support an MMO safely. In the future it would be nice if there were a point where they stopped PS3 support to enable maturation of the game and offered a free PS4 version of the game for people (this would assume, hopefully safely, that PSN ID's will transfer to the PS4 like the PS3/PSP/and Vita have).

The reason I say the Wii U is that in theory it "should" have enough horsepower AND the touchscreen makes (or should make) the PC UI usable on a console. The only problem there would be if Nintendo's next console didn't have a touch screen controller then the game would be stuck from a technical standpoint when they needed to move on.
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#73 Feb 07 2013 at 9:46 PM Rating: Default
**
598 posts
TurboTom wrote:
ShindaUsagi wrote:
"Lifetime" subscription screams cash grab death watch. It just wreaks of a company declaring they will profit from a short term effort.
I see so much complaining about existing MMO. You all spit out every existing mmo after a few months while clinging to whatever Tera or GW2 suits your specific fancy. How any one of you could possibly validate a lifetime subscription in the current mmo climate is beyond me.
/passes out from too much wine.

You never know. If you stick with the game long enough, it could be worth it.

Personally, I think that offering a lifetime sub wreaks of knowing that your product isn't worth the time that the money would have bought if you had subbed monthly. Although, if either WoW or FFXI had offered a lifetime sub, I would have definitely got the better end of either deal.


Perrin wrote:
Honestly I'd rather see Wii U development than PS4. The saturation rate for the PS3 is big enough and the PS2 has shown us the shelf life is long enough to support an MMO safely. In the future it would be nice if there were a point where they stopped PS3 support to enable maturation of the game and offered a free PS4 version of the game for people (this would assume, hopefully safely, that PSN ID's will transfer to the PS4 like the PS3/PSP/and Vita have).

The reason I say the Wii U is that in theory it "should" have enough horsepower AND the touchscreen makes (or should make) the PC UI usable on a console. The only problem there would be if Nintendo's next console didn't have a touch screen controller then the game would be stuck from a technical standpoint when they needed to move on.


Derail ahead (when don't I)

I humbly hope Wii U burns for pulling off the Bayonetta exclusive. That just drives me absolutely crazy!

I'm stuck playing DMC (New Dante is sexay, btw) while hoping a new Heavenly Sword releases on PS4.

*edit The wine still floweth.

Edited, Feb 7th 2013 10:58pm by ShindaUsagi

Edited, Feb 7th 2013 11:02pm by ShindaUsagi
____________________________
Sour Cherry
#74 Feb 07 2013 at 10:56 PM Rating: Good
Needs More Smut
Avatar
******
20,555 posts
Did they actually put a hard drive in the Wii U this time? I know that's why XI couldn't be ported to the original Wii.
____________________________
FFXI: Catwho on Bismarck. Once again a top bard on the server: Dardaubla 90 on 1/6/2014
Thayos wrote:
I can't understand anyone who skips the cutscenes of a Final Fantasy game. That's like going to Texas and not getting barbecue.

FFXIV: Katarh Mest on Lamia - Member of The Swarm and leader of Grammarian Tea House chat LS
#75 Feb 08 2013 at 12:13 AM Rating: Default
**
922 posts
catwho wrote:
Did they actually put a hard drive in the Wii U this time? I know that's why XI couldn't be ported to the original Wii.

16gb? That's about enough for 2 mario games and some golf. I think they expect you to use a usb drive. Not sure about the WiiU but I ran alpha off a usb drive at work and it was slow as molasses >.>
____________________________
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/story.html?story=18309
Quote:
Like Final Fantasy XI, the game specs will be extremely high for the time, but in about 5 years, an average machine can run it on max settings with little to no issues. Tanaka also expressed interest in making a benchmark program available.

FilthMcNasty wrote:
I endorse this thread.
#76 Feb 08 2013 at 4:14 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
Avatar
26 posts
catwho wrote:
Did they actually put a hard drive in the Wii U this time? I know that's why XI couldn't be ported to the original Wii.


Nope. My cell phone came with as much memory as the Wii U does, and I can at least double that if I choose to.

You can use external HD's though.

Edited, Feb 8th 2013 5:16am by DevilFruit
#77 Feb 08 2013 at 3:46 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,796 posts
catwho wrote:
Did they actually put a hard drive in the Wii U this time? I know that's why XI couldn't be ported to the original Wii.


They didn't include a HDD, which I appreciate since I immediately swapped HDDs in my PS3 upon purchase anyway and would have done the same with the Wii U. I'm running a 1TB external that I got for dirt cheap.

Elionara wrote:
16gb? That's about enough for 2 mario games and some golf. I think they expect you to use a usb drive. Not sure about the WiiU but I ran alpha off a usb drive at work and it was slow as molasses >.>


I have 2 games (3 if you count the NBA Demo I downloaded) on the external. They run perfectly fine. Most of the biggest hardware issues have been addressed and almost all have been improved (though far from perfect, ie load times of any game are still a bit long, but not PS1 long anymore). I'm a bit dissapointed there haven't been more games since release, but I don't regret my purchase. Oddly I find myself enjoying the TVii function. It was a blast during the SuperBowl. The comments community has some amazing artists too. If anything, I hope the social functions stick for future Nintendo platforms.

Edited, Feb 8th 2013 9:51pm by Perrin
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#78 Feb 08 2013 at 5:33 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
I like the idea of the Wii U, it just seems like there isn't much software to support it yet. I'm afraid it will end up like my Wii, which hasn't been turned on in months even though I have The Last Story and Xenoblade waiting.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#79 Feb 08 2013 at 6:15 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
***
3,796 posts
I need to hurry up and buy both of those before the prices skyrocket further
____________________________
FFXI:Sylph - Perrin 75 Hume THF; Retired (At least from my use any way)
EVE Online:ScraperX; Retired
WAR:IronClaw- Peryn SW;SkullThrone- Grymloc BO; Retired


#80 Feb 09 2013 at 12:57 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
**
549 posts
On the topic of TV's, I am somewhat of a video file, or maybe just a tv hoarder, I have more 46 inch tvs than I need plus a 60 inch and I still look at them in the store and online for some reason, and I can't remember for the life of me the last time I've seen a TV sub 60 fps. My oldest tv that I currently have is from 2007, which is 60 fps, not high end for the time, though I guess some people might perceive a $1,000 as high end. The UHDTV's are aiming for 120 FPS as a standard.

Now on topic. I do think that it will come to the PS4, or at least I hope it does, and also the Nextbox. Based on the rumored hardware specs and relative price vs performance or a console vs PC, along with it being almost basic PC tech making it easy to port to, It'll be much higher quality than what most players get out of their PCs, in part due to the added advantage of closed box hardware.

Edited, Feb 9th 2013 1:57am by VayMasters

Edited, Feb 9th 2013 2:16am by VayMasters
____________________________
(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
#81 Feb 09 2013 at 1:52 AM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
I guess I don't see the point of having really high FPS on a TV if you're using it mainly to, you know, watch TV and movies. I mean, these programs air at about 25-30 FPS. Unless your TV comes with a feature to extrapolate additional frames, I don't see the value. I could maybe see playing a game on a high end computer with a TV as a monitor. Maybe.

But if anything, I would think people would just come to accept that faster FPS is not necessarily better for the user experience. ****, movies -intentionally- use lower FPS to IMPROVE the viewing experience.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#82 Feb 11 2013 at 10:13 AM Rating: Default
Scholar
*
113 posts
all modern LCD and LED TV's are atleast 60hz, which means they are capable of displaying 60 fps. It is true that TV and Movies display in 24 to 30 for a better viewing experience. 60 hz =/= 60 fps, but it does mean that a TV is only capable of displaying a maximum of 60 fps. The hz is a refresh rate. It determines how many frames can be drawn per second. Maybe that was confusing heh. I'm just trying to clear up some of the confusion. I'm only trying to help and I'm sorry if this didn't. =)

On topic... I would think that a port to the PS4 would be possible seeing as they've said the new engine is easier to scale. I guess it all depends on how well the PS4 sells and how well FFXIV sells. If both sell well then I would think it's atleast a possibility.

p.s. for those getting on Poubelle's case, he is right. I don't think he's being mean about anything. He's just trying to defend himself. Kachi has been much more blatant about his opinions.

Edited, Feb 11th 2013 1:37pm by Kimosabi
____________________________
I read the news today, oh boy...
#83 Feb 11 2013 at 5:45 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Uh, Poubelle has a history of being a rude *** to pretty much everyone, and I didn't tear into him until he started doing it again, just so we're clear. I aim to give everyone the benefit of the doubt and the utmost respect until they prove that they no longer deserve it. I don't feign respect for those who can't give it to others. I usually don't even look at the name of the person I'm responding to, so suffice it to say that if I recognized your name, there's a good chance that it's because you 1) were already on my very short ********* and 2) you just did something (AGAIN) that I took notice of for my *********

Poubelle was correct about certain things he said, but that doesn't make his conclusions correct. And it certainly doesn't make the way he talks to people correct.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
#84 Feb 11 2013 at 6:52 PM Rating: Excellent
Anterograde Amnesia
Avatar
*****
12,363 posts
Kimosabi wrote:
p.s. for those getting on Poubelle's case, he is right. I don't think he's being mean about anything. He's just trying to defend himself. Kachi has been much more blatant about his opinions.


Kachi may seem to be more blatant, but he/she is respectful at least. Poubelle couldn't care less about who he offends.
____________________________
"Choosy MMO's choose Wint." - Louiscool
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the world he didn't exist.
Keyser Soze - Ultros
Guide to Setting Up Mumble on a Raspberry Pi
#85 Feb 15 2013 at 8:40 AM Rating: Good
*
139 posts
On the FPS and HZ thing, if people are still confused I can try to explain it a bit.

Hz refers to your TV or monitor refresh rate. This is the ability for your TV to change from on image to another. 60hz means your screen refresh the image 60 times a second. LCD screen are more or less 60hz because the way the render the images on the screen. I do not think there are LCD screens with less than 60hz but I'm certain that the old heavy and round tube TV had less than 60hz refresh rate.

FPS refers to the number of images sent to your screen per second. If a movie is filmed at 29 frames per second then when u watch the DVD, the player will send 29 images to your screen every second. If you are playing a video game and your video card is showing 100FPS then your computer is creating 100 images per second and send them to your screen.

This means you can only see up to 60 images per second on a 60hz LCD even though your game is running at 200fps. Vice versa as, you won't notice much difference between a 120hz and a 60hz HDTV if you are playing ffxi capped at 29fps. However, you will experience screen tearing effect in the former case with the 60hz TV and 200fps game. This is because your screen received a new image before it could finish refering the current image.

On the PS4 topic, I think it will ultimately depends on the PS4 performance with the new and rising mobile market beating into the traditional console market. However, I assume FFXIV won't flop and will be working well by the time the PS4 is released. There are very few cases of a bad game relaunched into something profitable. Most of them seem to fail to grab a significant portion that they deserve. Elementals Fallen Enchantress would be an example. SE would need a massive PR and marketing effort to bring the relaunch game back.

Rather than seeing FFXIV on several platform, I'd prefer to see some form of mobile options for it. Example would be managing your AH and bazaar from your phone. Chat options as well as a detailed database of the game like maps and crafting recipes would be nice. The more features SE can put into the mobile platform, the better.
#86 Feb 15 2013 at 10:47 AM Rating: Good
***
2,232 posts
I would definitely like mobile options. Along with the stuff you mentioned I think gardening and chocobo rearing would be fun. Or maybe being able to access your 'house'.
____________________________
Character: Urzol Thrush
Server: Ultros
FC: The Kraken Club

Outshined

Teneleven wrote:
We secretly replaced your tank wemelchor with Foldgers Crystal's. Let's see what happens.

#87 Feb 15 2013 at 1:17 PM Rating: Decent
Scholar
****
9,997 posts
Ultimately, what I think is important to bear in mind (at least for everyone who isn't a total graphics-*****) is that a new console is not going to dramatically improve your game's graphics in the way that every other new console generation has before it. Will you be able to see a difference? Sometimes. It depends on how well the developer capitalizes on the machine's capabilities and the available software tools needed to "smooth" out the look even further. Most of the time you won't notice a significant difference. It'll be the kind of thing that you can see a difference when you place the two side by side, but when you're actually playing the game (which if the game is any good, will consume a significant amount of your attention span), you won't notice at all.
____________________________
Hyrist wrote:
Ok, now we're going to get slash fiction of Wint x Kachi somehere... rule 34 and all...

Never confuse your inference as the listener for an implication of the speaker.

Good games are subjective like good food is subjective. You're not going to seriously tell me that there's not a psychological basis for why pizza is great and lutefisk is revolting. The thing about subjectivity is that, as subjects go, humans actually have a great deal in common.
1 2 Next »
Reply To Thread

Colors Smileys Quote OriginalQuote Checked Help

 

Recent Visitors: 110 All times are in CST